[Riverfall] Should Have Seen it in Her Eyes [Mao/Kavala]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Vanator on August 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Kavala's words seemed to cause the wild Kelvic to pause, though she never stopped squirming beneath him. The scowl did not leave her face, but there was a glimpse of contemplation in her feline eyes. Suddenly Mao blurted out her keen desire for Vanator to die, no less at her hands. She emphasized her hate with a menacing hiss and a spray of saliva that struck his face. The Drykas renewed the tightening of his grip even as Mao's spit dripped from his jaw.

Van heard Kavala's voice, the calm, soft voice that had comforted and cajoled him on many occasions. He relented his iron grip slightly, listening to the exhortation the Konti gave to the enraged girl. Vanator turned to look at his sister, seeing her subtly assemble a tube and insert the dart into on end. After their heated meeting at Sanctuary, it was strange to hear Kavala speak of him, painting Mao a picture of his virtues and worth. He wondered if Kavala still believed those things about him, or if she was merely trying to convince the woman to relent and abandon her attack on the man.

Either way, he would trust his sister, taking no further action against Mao other than restrain her until told otherwise. Besides, the warm flow of blood from the gash in his neck had increased when Mao ripped at it, and he did not wish to give his heart any further reason to pump it out faster
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Mao on August 10th, 2010, 5:59 pm

She wanted to fight back. She wanted to flail and holler and hiss and growl. When pushed into a corner, this is what she did; kick and scream until the very end. But Mao didn’t want it to be the end. This was where she completely paused, her fingers no longer scratching at Vanator’s skin, and her legs stopped kicking. It was just like before, Kavala’s calming aura soothing the beast within. It wasn’t only that however, Mao finally came to realize, if anything, she would truly be locked up if she was deemed “unsafe” as the Konti had said.

Mao’s eyes were still locked on Vanator, but her attention was completely on Kavala. A good man, she’d said. The kelvic wanted to laugh. Good man! These creatures were fraught with greed and lust and war. The things she had seen…. The events that happened in her past seemed to pile up in her mind then melt away. No, she couldn’t show this side to Kavala. Vanator’s blood was sweet and tempting, but for once, she would let a human go, at least for the time being. Out in the Sea of Grass, there were plenty to hunt from, and besides, despite herself, Mao would never want to see Kavala cry, which was sure to happen if she ended up murdering this man.

Almost gradually, Mao stopped her movement and simply lay still beneath Vanator. Her eyes moved to gaze on the Konti, taking note of the dart but having no inkling as to what it did. “I won’t kill him, make him get off!” She growled, jerking her wrist for emphasis. Her stomach was hurting from the weight of his body, but it was obviously nothing compared to the wounds she’d inflicted on Vanator. She thought for a moment. “I promise… I won‘t kill Vanator, let me out, get off.”
Mao
Nyancat

Words: 151412
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 10:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Kavala on August 11th, 2010, 10:03 pm

ImageIt was a test. Kavala knew it. Every aspect of the situation reaked of it. It was a test of Mao's ruthlessness. It was a test of her dominance. And it was a test of Mao's trustfulness. Kavala really liked Mao. She enjoyed the cat's personality and above that she wanted to trust Mao. Trust was the key. And she knew, opening her senses, that Mao would let Vanator go... but she wasn't decided wholly that she'd let him live. It was a confusing feeling to Kavala, who didn't know exactly what Mao was thinking - only what she was feeling. And even this close, Kavala was overwhelmed by how delicious Vanator seemed... and could almost taste his blood in her mouth.

The Konti swallowed uneasily.

Trust Mao. Trust her. How could she ever be more than she was if they didn't trust her and give her the chance to be what she was? Kavala spoke quietly, fingering another pocket with a key in it. She didn't release her grip on the dart, but her other hand snaked into her pocket and pulled forth the collar's Key.

She offered it out to Vanator.

"Van... release her slowly and take the key. Gently put your hands on her neck and unlock her collar. Slide it off her neck. Let her breathe... and if she remains quiet, get off her. Please."
Her voice wasn't an order. Instead it was a request. A quiet request. She'd let Vanator decide whether to do it or not. The next move was his.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vanator on August 13th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Vanator kept his gaze on Mao. Kavala's words seemed to have somehow penetrated the girl's mania, as her struggling waned until she lay still beneath him. Her eyes still beamed with hatred. She still demanded acidly to be freed, and the Drykas could not trust her promise not to harm him. Just moments ago the predatory Kelvic was bent on not only killing him but actually devouring him. She had already began, Van thought, as he felt the warm wet blood flow over his skin.

Turning his head towards his sister, Vanator listened to Kavala's instructions. He looked at the key, glance down at the collar around Mao's neck. Now he believed he understood. The human had already surmised that the woman that attacked him was a Kelvic. Just as Pygmy's eyes had belied her benign goat nature, Mao's slitted pupils betrayed her as a true predator. Kav confirmed it, and the only thing that had kept the panther from shifting and truly rending him apart must have been the belt strapped around her neck. The one his sister now asked him to remove.

He did not trust the words of the Kelvic. But Kavala was asking him to trust her. His gaze returned to the Konti's. They have had their differences of late, serious differences. But what he saw in the woman at that moment, key in one hand, blowgun in the other, was Kavala's heart. Her heart was to help and to heal. It was clear Mao was a troubled case, damaged goods. Surely some trauma, medical or mental affliction beset the girl, and his sister had taken her under her wing. He wondered how many others, animals, kelvics, people she had taken in at Sanctuary. The name began to make sense to Vanator.

Van released one of Moa's wrists, his hand hovering a moment to ensure she did not attempt to move it. Then he reached out to take the key. His voice was quiet as he spoke in Pavi. <"I hope you know what you are doing."> The Drykas turned back to Mao, his eyes darting towards the fighting ax laying in the grass, just out of reach. Slipping the key into the small lock in the leather collar, Vanator turned it. A light click indicated it was released. The man's eyes lingered on the panther's green irises as he slowly pulled open the band and slipped it from around her neck, depositing it next to them.

Then he waited, muscles taunt, nerves charged, wondering if she would suddenly become lucid, or if he would find himself straddling a raging beast.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mao on August 13th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Angry was the kelvic when the man didn’t rightly release her when she’d called for it. Mao had put her attention on Kavala, but the konti had merely sat there for a time, as if debating in her head just as she was, only perhaps, about what she was going to do with her. When Kavala had spoken to Vanator, she had handed him a key. She knew what keys were, and she knew what that one opened. Mao inwardly hid her pleasure at the prospect. Yes, release me. Release the tyrant! It was only a matter of waiting now, to see if the Drykas man would actually go ahead and do it.

But this was also a strange situation. What was in her mind’s eye and what was happening at that moment didn’t coincide with what she wanted to happen. Mao’s words might have been truthful, but that was only while she retained her woman body. Kavala wanted her released, and she had to wonder if this was just a subtle way of saying she wanted her “brother” killed. Didn’t she understand that Mao would stop at nothing to kill a human when she was able to shift? And now, as she turned her gaze back at Vanator, she waited. Silent as can be, with her jade eyes fixed on the Drykas’ own, she even lifted her chin so he could release her faster. Whether he knew what was in store for him was another question.

Then Mao felt it. The freedom that only a life without a piece of leather wrapped around her neck could entail. She could breathe, and her gratitude showed in her features. But there was also that lingering smile on her bloody lips. She didn’t thank him, for he still straddled her like some horse to be toyed with. The anger was still boiling deep in her skin, but her face had softened, relaxed. Raging in her mind were the roars and hisses of her beast urging her to shift there and then, but she could not, for her clothes were still hindering her! Wait it out, allow him to assume she had calmed and slip off her dress to take him there.

The Drykas man will not survive this day without a limb being torn. She would have what she had chased him down for. His blood.

“You can get off me now, Vanator,” She hissed, opting to use his name rather than his race, so as to show that she wasn’t all lost to the madness.
Last edited by Mao on August 14th, 2010, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mao
Nyancat

Character sheet
Scrapbook
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Kavala on August 13th, 2010, 11:02 pm

ImageKavala kept her voice low, calm, friendly... and kept herself close. But she was pleased with Mao's progress, even as snarky as she sounded with the hissing rather than enunciating her words. "No, Vanator... Don't get off of her just yet." Good girl, Mao. Good girl. Use his name. Give him an identity. He is not food... not food. Kavala silently coaxed the girl, incredibly pleased by her reaction to Vanator taking her collar off. "He's Drykas, Mao. He hates chaining anything up. They don't even bridle their horses. They just ride them with yvas'... little belts around their waists." Kavala added, looking thoughtful but keeping a firm grip on the dart clenched in her hand. She had the blowgun ready too if she couldn't actually physically touch Mao and such an action was needed.

"Vanator... don't let her up just yet."
Kavala went back to what she was saying to her brother initially. He needed to know why. "She needs to see you as an individual and not as food. Talk to her, keep her pinned though, and touch her. Touch her bare skin if possible. She has no sense of modesty or decency, so make sure you get your scent all over her. Tell her who you are... tell her about yourself... tell her what you like and don't like. Help her see you as a person, but don't let her up. Not just yet... not until she relaxes a little more." Kavala coaxed. She didn't mind using people as teaching tools. It wouldn't be the first nor the last time she'd used her brother thusly as well.

"Tell her what you see her as... the good and the bad. Tell her what sort of vision she created of herself for you."
Kavala said again, softly, keeping close but wanting her brother to basically 'sack down' the kelvic and touch her until she stopped figiting at his touch. His voice was just as great of a tool to sack down a wild animal as his touch, so the double combination would either get Mao to snap or help her steady herself more. If.... If Vanator cooperated.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on August 16th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Mao's hissed demand for him to let her up was only slightly less venomous as she addressed him by name. He hesitated, still highly unsure if freeing the kelvic was a good idea. She had stopped struggling, and her twisted grimace had relaxed. Her eyes though, still seemed dangerous. Hesitantly, he shifted, willing to give the girl a little room, but Kavala's words caused him to stop, settling back onto Mao.

The Konti spoke in Common, her tone soft and calm. When he addressed her brother, Vanator turned to look at her. As she gave him new instructions, the Drykas first instinct was to argue. But meeting Kavala's eyes, hearing the compassion in her voice, Vanator saw the situation for its true nature. It really wasn't about him. It was about Mao. It became apparent that Kavala had taken Mao under her care, that the Kelvic needed help, and that this situation could have dire consequences not only for Mao and himself, but for Kavala as well.

He glanced again at the woman he held down. His blood was smeared across her face and stained her sharp canines. The Drykas allowed himself to look deeper. Mao was a wild animal. Not like Pygmy, who was a tame goat, adept at interacting with humans, nearly becoming one in the way she lived. But this panther had the tinge of humanity all Kelvics had. Kavala was right, Vanator hated to see anything confined, even the clan dogs and hunting cats were not leashed. And Mao was more than a simple animal, more than human, and it would be unfortunate for her to be locked away.

Vanator nodded to his sister, his eyes revealing an understanding. Mao needed desensitized to humans, perhaps males in particular. It was a tactic the siblings had seen dozens of times in their lives, but always with horses. Overwhelming an animal with what they naturally resisted, feared or hated eventually gets them used to it and then they can be worked. This was a bit different, granted, untamed horses did not react by trying to eat you.

Vanator's response relayed a willingness to aid Kavala in working with Mao. What his sister asked of him was a bit awkward, but turning to meet Mao's gaze again, Van took a deep breath. He leaned down, using more of his torso to keep her on the ground. One arm stayed pressed against Mao's arm, then snaked under her head to grasp her other wrist, essentially freeing one hand while keeping her restrained. It did place his face closer to hers, but it allowed him to use his shoulder to help keep her still.

His free hand slid down her forearm with a touch that was firm but not forceful. "I am Vanator. My father's name is Eachann. He is Kavala's father too. My mother's name is Nadra, and I have a wife, her name is Kashik." Vanator's eyes darted to Kavala's before settling again on the Kelvic's smoldering emerald gaze. His hand moved cautiously up her arm. He could feel the lean bit strong sinew and muscle beneath her skin. His hand continued to rub against her shoulder, then across her neck and around the back of it. "I have a horse named Backlash, she is one of my best friends, and my favorite thing to do is to race her across the open grassland. I had a Kelvic friend named Pygmy, but she asked me to give her a new name, so I called her Dhanya. I like the taste of mead and venison. "

His hand moved steadily up to rub against her face, forehead and through her dark hair. "Mao, when you attacked me, I thought you were crazy, a demon or something. My instinct was to defend myself. I don't know why you attacked me, or why you said you wanted to eat me. If you didn't look like....a girl, I would have tried to kill you." He was honest, he would have had a difficult time killing Mao in her human guise. Van hesitated, eyes still locked on the panther's. Then his hand slipped inside the neck of her top, just enough to rub his fingers across her upper chest and her collar bones. It was a bit awkward, though he tried to remember that Mao was more animal than anything, his eyes told him she was a woman.

"But Mao, I don't want to kill you. You are a magnificent being, and it would be a shame to see you locked up." The Drykas gaze drifted to Kavala, trying to gauge his success in her expression.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mao on August 16th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Why hadn’t she been released? Why was she still under this human? Mao had half the nerve to kick and scream, to be vocal about her displeasure, but she knew that if she did such Kavala would not allow her out of Vanator’s hold. It was Kavala she had to please in this situation, she knew, but it was becoming increasing difficult when she listened to the konti speak to her brother. She had told him to touch her! To get his filthy germs all over her, and how Mao wriggled and squirmed in her position on the ground. Her fingers twitched, ached to rip at his skin and curl around his neck to choke him! Now the kelvic had to wonder, how did Kavala know to come? There was no one around!

Inwardly, Mao growled to herself, but when Vanator began to close the gap separating their bodies, something in her mind flipped. With widened eyes and a furious hiss, Mao flailed and fought against the Drykas’ touch. “What are you doing!” She had cried, and it wasn’t long before those distant events that transpired in her past seemed to come alight in her mind. Those days on the road, succumbing to insatiable men who would hold her just as Vanator was. It would not happen again! She would not allow these men to go free! Kavala would not suffer for the kelvic’s actions if she simply escaped, even Mao could tell Kavala did much to help many people, and all at the sacrifice of people caring for her. If it was one thing Mao could do was to simply flee, she would deal with her own disgrace later, but she had to run.

When the human began to speak of himself and his family, Mao had merely blocked him out. She focused on just his eyes. She stared at him as a predator would, unblinking, concentrated, maddened. What she did catch was that he didn’t want to kill her. Such lies! She wanted to laugh. But instead the kelvic girl struggled and fought against him with every fiber of her being. When he had leaned forward and their heads were close, it didn’t take long for her to completely smash her forehead against the bridge of his nose, trying to loosen his hold on her, or to free a hand. And even in that instant it had worked, she managed to wriggle her hand away from his grasp to claw at his cheek, sharp nails raking down the flesh of his face. “Despicable, Vanator!”

Mao heaved his body off of hers, and nearly tossed Kavala to the ground in her flurry to relieve herself of her dress. Those shopping sprees with the konti had done wonders for her, because now the garment had been so easily slipped off, and in a flash of blinding light there now stood a beast more than six feet long, with enormous canines exposed to the man that now stood beneath her. Her face was so close to Vanator’s that her nose nearly touched his own. She roared then, angered and threatened by his very presence, but something was stopping her. Kavala still stood nearby, and there was that nagging realization that she knew the man’s name. They were family, would she do this to the konti? No, she had to run! It didn’t take long for the panther to do just that. She darted across the field, although not before slicing Vanator‘s thigh with the pressure of her back claws, putting as much power as she could into her compact legs, to propel her forward. Run!
Mao
Nyancat

Character sheet
Scrapbook
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Kavala on August 24th, 2010, 5:09 pm

ImageKavala thought with Mao using Vanator's name she'd reached a point where the cat had acknowledged that he was an individual, not just an evil male that would be better off dead than lingering in the world taking up Mao's air and killing her happiness. But she wasn't ready to give in just yet, not by a long shot. Kavala desperately wanted to trust her. She wanted to get Mao in a position where she could leave Sanctuary for days on end and be comfortable with the fact that Mao wouldn't eat anyone while Kavala was gone... and conversely Mao could leave Sanctuary for days on end and Kavala wouldn't worry she was out hunting human flesh.

It just... wasn't the right time yet for such trust.

If Mao had shifted and ran, not hesitating to either think about killing Vanator or swiping at him, Kavala wouldn't have had a chance. But the pause both for the change and for the hesitation gave the konti the edge she needed to slip forward and plunge the dart into the panther's firm thigh muscle. It wouldn't knock her out, but it was a paralytic though it needed time to work. The faster Mao's heartrate, the faster the drug would act... so with Mao on the run it wouldn't take her more than ten yards to start loosing control of her body and staggering. Kavala, taking out a second dart while dropping the first empty one back into her pouch, fitted it into her blowgun and blew rapidly after taking careful aim. The dart just nicked Mao, not hitting hard enough to drive the quill it was made out of deep into Mao's skin.

Kavala calmly broke the dartgun back down, fit it back into her pouch, and turned to Vanator. "Are you alright? I have a few minutes before she goes completely under if you want me to take care of those wounds. I'm sorry she hurt you. I was betting on her not doing it. I bet wrong. Now shes got to go back to Sanctuary and be put in a cage until we can work out what else to do with her." Kavla said softly, taking the collar back into her possession and looking thoughtful.

"She's been really abused. But shes carrying an Akalak child, so culling her is not an option. I think she just needs time and training and to learn people won't actually hurt her. And this needs to be done before her son is born. They will want her carrying another if the first is strong enough and proves to be healthy, so its best if we get all this out of her system as early as possible. They aren't people here, you see, Vanator. They are pets. The only thing saving her life right now - regardless of how many dumb things she does - is the fact that what she's got in her womb is more precious to the Akalak than gold." Kavala said thoughtfully. "It's why you can't hurt her either. The Akalak would be swift in their idea of justice. Very swift." She said with a sigh and bent to look at the slash in his leg. If Vanator gve his permission, Kavala would begin working on his injuries. They had time. Mao would thrash a bit, try to overcome the drug, then end up sprawled on her delicate ass watching the world go by with no control of her body. Then Kavala could go retrieve her, load her on Wind, and drag her home and throw her in a cage until she calmed down.

Then they'd start all over again, this time maybe using Aweston.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on August 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Mao writhed beneath Vanator's touch, clearly uncomforatble. He continued to speak calmly, coaxed by Kavala to bombard her with his scent, touch and voice. He got too close to the Kelvic's head, and she brought it up to soundly smash her forehead against his nose. Vanator winced and recoiled, giving Mao the instant she needed to jerk her hand free of his grasp. Vision blurred by watering eyes, Vanator only felt the sting of her nails across his face before finding himself heaved from atop the girl. There was a glow of light, not unlike that which he had witnessed when Pygmy had shifted.

Wiping his eyes, The human's vision cleared in time to see the panther's fang-bared head staring down at him, her breath hot agianst his face. Van froze, well aware he had little hope of defending himself now. His heart jumped when the Kelvic roared at him, but he steeled himself not to budge, ready to react, as hopeless as it would be.

Then, suddenly, the muscular cat bolted, her rear claws tearing at the flesh of his thigh as she launched herself into a dead run. Vanator cried out in pain, reaching for the wound, blood already running between his fingers. He saw Kavala from the corner of his eye lunge forward and plunge the dart into Mao's thigh. The Drykas muttered a Pavi curse between gritted teeth as he watched the panther bound off.

Mao had already begun to slow when Vanator turned towards the Konti. He handed her the collar and key, sitting up to face Kavala "I'm alright." He did not look so, blood running from his nose, neck and thigh, while beads still welled up on the scratches Mao left on his arm and face.

Vanator listened quietly to his sister reveal the truth behind the Kelvic, as he watched the panther flail weakly on the ground. He felt a sudden pity for the creature. She was a beautiful animal. But the Drykas was disturbed by the manner in which Kavala referred to Mao. Could she even consider the option to cull her? She was a person! Vanator had lived with the Kelvic Pygmy for a season. To him, she was very much a person, one that he had even developed feelings for, even though she was, in truth, a goat. For all her ferocity and blood thirst, he had seen Mao as a girl, and he had a hard time reconciling the human guise with the concept that she was not much more than a breeding animal in this place.

Van allowed his sister to examine his wounds. It was not the first time Kavala had sopped up his blood. While Kavala tended to his injuries, he could not take his eyes off of Mao. "It doesn't seem right Kav. She really isn't an animal. I mean, I know what she is, and there is no doubt she is dangerous." He raised his arm to wipe the blood that had run across his mouth. He sighed, knowing his sister cared for the kelvic, but had her hands tied. "I know you do what you have to do." The panther struggled slowly now, awkwardly. He wondered if she was forced when she was impregnated. "But to use her like that, to do what they are doing, it isn't right." Vanator was only vaguely familiar with Akalak culture, and found himself judging their society only by what he saw. "If you get me patched up, I will help you get her loaded up."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext