[Taylani's Scrapbook] Taylani's randomness

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Taylani on November 25th, 2013, 5:15 pm

This week is going to be a rough one for me in terms of activity. Its Thanksgiving week for those of us who reside in the US of A, and on top of that Oklahoma got a day and a half long dumping of snow and ice yesterday and the day before. This means that on an already short week (kids have Weds-Fri off for Thanksgiving break) they were also out today, and possibly tomorrow for snow days.

Though looking outside, I think that the roads might be ok enough that they MIGHT go back tomorrow. Anyway this means that I am going to be pulling my hair out trying to solve arguments and trying to referee who's turn is it to do what from playing with toys to doing chores. Fun! In reality though I will be enjoying extra time with kids and hubby so I might or might not be able to do a lot of grading..and for the few RP partners I have if you give me a return post I will return one but might not be instantaneously-seeming as it usually apparently is. :)
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Taylani on November 25th, 2013, 11:58 pm

hehe
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Abstract on November 26th, 2013, 12:03 am

...Lol... I was reading that, finding it legitimate, except for the title. Then I noticed #9, which I thought was odd. Then #7... well, I figured it out from there.

On another topic, CONGRATULATIONS!! You just reached 1000 posts! Wow. That was... fast >.>
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Taylani on November 26th, 2013, 12:06 am

*grins* I didn't realize that was my 1000 post. I have been doing massive grading this past month so that has really amped my post count.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 26th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I am in a funk. Just one of those weeks that is just blah. A little of it is wanting Nano to be over with so things can get back to normal, a little of it is wanting Fall to be done with because Taylani has gotten a bit difficult to write solo's for in the Fall because of so much emotional changes she has gone through it gets odd flopping from writing at the end to the beginning and back. Ever hear of a method actor? I am definitely a method writer. When I sit down to write for a character try and think like them, I try and analyze their emotions against their history and then I write. Its emotionally taxing to write angry bitter raging Taylani, to subdued, still stubborn but the edge of her is more blunted then sharp Taylani.

Don't get me started on my Akalak. He is definitely my character that I created to "push" myself, and a push it has been. Number 1 definitely not male, so masculine tendencies do not come easily to me which makes it really hard for me to do my brand of method writing. Is why I think Favchean is sounding more and more like Warf from Generations (gosh I just announced that I am that much of a geek). So I am working on tweaking him. I have some really awesome writing partners so who are lovely and make it so easy to write.

I just am in a funk, as I said. Feeling all out of sorts...of course I have 0 kids right now. The three oldest are at school (the only day they go this week since yesterday was a snow day) and the youngest is with grandma. Finished up my house work, and looking at the list of posts that need to be graded, and am all bleh, Not because the list is bad or the stories are bad, or the writing is bad..its me. I am just in one of those moods. Wonder if it would hurt the kitchen floor for a second wax of the week....
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Harrier on November 26th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I totally understand, Tay. I'm in the same boat with Vira. The start of the season is so opposite what the end is and I have threads all over the place in it. I'll definitely be glad when winter begins. Good luck with your boytoy!
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Taylani on November 26th, 2013, 10:29 pm

I am looking forward into delving into Favchean. Just gotta get over the hump :D
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Happy Thanksgiving to USer's and others

Postby Taylani on November 27th, 2013, 11:56 pm

Ok tomorrow is Thanksgiving for those of us in the US of A. I want to wish all of us who are celebrating a happy thanksgiving, and I want to tell all of Mizahar USer or not that I am thankful for such an awesome place to pour my creative energies into. Thankful for the staff who run it so that characters can flourish and we can all beat each other brainless...ICly of course. I am especially thankful for my writing partners, ..and that it is closing on the end of Nano month. Come on Winter!:P

Of course there are more "Pertinent" things to be thankful for, a house. a husband who has a good job, a good education, a school system that isn't totally the pits, and many more things. But This is Mizahar so I wanted to be thankful all Mizhara..ian...however you would say that :P So anywho. Happy Turkey Day.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 28th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Ok so, I am going to my mothers this afternoon for thanksgiving. We switch every year. One year she comes to my house for T-day, and I go to hers for Christmas, and the next I go to hers for T-day and she comes to mine for Christmas. So today I have baked 2 pies (Pumpkin and Pecan), made deviled eggs, and my mashed potatoes. She is cooking the turkey and the ham, my step father is baking Angel Biscuits (omgosh so good), and my sister..the culinary Whiz...is tearing up lettuce and slicing tomatoes for a salad. (we joke that if Mom passes before she is married to someone who could cook she would subsist on macaroni and cheese).

So since I am not doing the bulk of the cooking this thanksgiving and its still three hours before I have to leave, and my house is swarmed with kids so really no point in trying to vacuum or mop, I am writing. Since I don't have IC posts to write and I am waiting for Winter to roll over to start doing some solo's again I am writing in my Scrap book. And if my list that will be following this offends you please forgive me this is just my own pet peeves when it comes to RP and in no way am I saying that if you do any of the following that your a poor Rper. Not at all, I just grind my teeth when a partner does these :P And I am aware that I probably do at least one of these (and It grinds my teeth when I realize I have done them)

• 1. One line posts.

Seriously? One sentence posts? This is a writing site, and while no one expects the next Ernst Hemingway to be their writing partners there is always something to describe. Always. As a grader I won't even give any skill points for a one line post. As a thread partner these will get the thread ended as soon as would be ICly possible and probably won't be RPing again. While my posts are not flowery or overly long, they are measured in paragraphs and not lines. The more you say in your post the more branches of RP hooks can be hand.
  • 2. Assuming my character's description or actions. While sometimes people will write that their character looks at mine and sees red hair and blue eyes before my initial post and I don't really have a problem with that really. Thats available in my CS and it's something that would be seen by someone if my character is around. But lets leave it at that. Going to use my Akalak for an example. See that he is green, large, kind of off=putting in the muscular build department is fine...talk about how he moves with the grace of a dancer and has eyes with the soul of a poet not so fine. Number one when your large and clunky, no matter how much unarmed you learn and how much control you exert your never going to be light and airy as a dancer. And perhaps my Akalak is in a bad mood..why would his eyes have the soul of a poet then? Nope, better just wait until I post so you can see how I am playing my character. Some things are not reflected in a CS, such as skill points. Look at Taylani, I have the first 3 pages of Endrykas request for grades spammed. That is a lot of skill points that ICly by the end of Fall I will have, they just haven't been graded yet..doesn't mean that in a thread dated at the end of fall she wouldn't have those skills yet. So while she might not have but 5 points in Jewel crafting doesn't mean that she hasn't learned braiding techniques..
  • 3. Rping with characters that are "Shy" or "Damaged" or any of the other myriad ways that people who are afraid to take the lead in an RP situation so use that character stereotype to only be in the responsive seat rather then the Action seat.

This one I have been guilty of in the past. When I first started Forum RP I was so completely overwhelmed and intimidated by the writing styles of those on the forum that I was afraid that I wouldn't match up. Thus my bookish studious, super quiet, bard Elf (yes this was a LOTR site) who wouldn't say boo to a ghost. After about three months I learned so much, and while I was able to drag ArinKalya from being shy bookish to actually becoming a squire in the forest army (that took a couple of real life years to accomplish) it really allowed me to learn how to develop a character ICly. I now also realize how frustrating it must have been to RP with me in the early weeks. So I have a lot more patience with this pet peeve then I do with others because it is definitely something I understand. I just would like people to realize that sometimes RPing means jumping in feet first, and sometimes making a mistake but more often then not you will find yourself with a totally awesome RP hook.
  • 4. Assuming my character does something when my character clearly has not. This is kind of goes along with number 2, but this one -in my opinion- is so much more annoying especially when its more then " When he stopped her from leaving" type thing that just implies my character (the he) did something to stop her. Sometimes this has to happen because it would be disjointed if we stopped each post to wait for the person to do something. Though most of the time we manage to word it to sound like this "If he stopped her from leaving she would.." which is still abit clunky but it gives the partner a chance to say hey no he wouldn't stop her etc. No I am talking major things like when someone wrote an entire paragraph about how my Akalak started to flip his character and throwing him around...I have to say that stopped me and I was like um, number one you put an entire training session in one paragraph, number 2 my Akalak is only competent in Unarmed he isn't going to be able to land four throws against someone who is also Competent in Bralwing ( a different discipline of sparring/fighting but still able to stop being tossed around like a rag doll), 3 my Akalak wouldn't do that in a simple sparring session..it just was all ways of wrong. This, I think, is the trigger that will have me PM'ing the partner and asking them to re-write their post.

And there is my list. I was guilty of 3. I try hard not be guilty of the others, but feel free to slap me with a fish if I do. Particularly number 4 or 1..>.> I think I would hang up my keyboard if I become guilty of 1.

Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on December 1st, 2013, 5:46 am

-Tay Grader-
[googlefont=Antic Slab ]Image
Yes this says its a grader box, but I like the colors and I don't get to use this one near as much because it is less formatted out for lores and skills as my other. So I wanted to give it a whirl in here :P

So Pacific Rim, the movie, is on. It is not my type of movie I enjoy, not being big into the action type movies, and it is very long. Not to mention that with the background music in the movie it was hard to understand some of the earlier conversations which always makes me zone out. However, that all being said, it did have some nice special effects and for those who do like high octane action then I am sure it is a great movie.

I prefer thrillers and horrors (not slashers >.>) myself. Anything with Anthony Hopkins will make me go squee.

Yes Squee is a word.
[/b]

Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext