Completed [The Bronze Wood] The Road Most Traveled

Seeking answers often breeds only more questions. (Accolade)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Wood] The Road Most Traveled

Postby Aoren on April 11th, 2014, 2:40 am

The moment the Balicani charged, Aoren dove over to where the unconscious Drykas man lay on the ground. He shielded the man with his body knowing perfectly well that mere flesh and bones would be useless against the raging fury of the great beasts charge. Ovek, Lord of Luck, it seemed was smiling on them at that particular moment. The combination of air and fire was enough to frighten off the terrifying creature. Aoren’s gambit had paid off. A wave of relief washed over him as the Balicani took flight in an angry panic. He pulled himself up off the ground kneeling beside the injured, unconscious man. Gingerly he placed a hand just above the man’s mouth and nostrils to feel for his breath. He was still breathing though Aoren could barely feel it.

The panicked sound of cries for help drew Aoren’s attention from the unconscious man. His blue eyes turned to see the Drykas leader kneeling beside a fallen comrade grasping his hands for dear life. The young man had a severe abdominal laceration and was bleeding profusely. Looking over the unconscious man once more, Aoren jumped up going over to where the other wounded man lay. His life was ebbing out of him by the second. Without any prompting Aoren dropped to his knees on the other side of the man, opposite the Drykas leader, and pressed his hands upon the bleeding wound. He looked up into the panicked man’s eyes.

“Pressure. Here.” The man has been gored by the Balicani. The horn had ripped open a portion of his abdomen and it was a grizzly sight to behold. Aoren raked through the extent of his medical knowledge. It wasn’t much to go on. He knew anatomy. He knew what he could see with his eyes. He lifted a hand briefly to see if the man’s intestines were still intact. From the looks of it the Balicani’s horn had just ripped through flesh and muscle. It needed to be cleaned, bound and closed otherwise the man would perish. Aoren looked up.

“Lenne! I need a bandage. Anything. Something made from cloth. We have to cover this wound to keep him from bleeding out!” Aoren knew pressure was key. He knew that they had to keep it as clean as possible but in the middle of the wilderness that wasn’t likely so saving as much of the man’s blood was the priority. Looking around Aoren searched for anything that could substitute for what he needed. He was running out of time. Glancing down at his already torn shirt he made a split second decision. Grabbing the Drykas leader’s hands he firmly guided them to the man’s abdominal wound and pressed down. He knew it would be uncomfortable for the injured man.

“Pressure. Hold.” Once he was certain the Drykas leader understood, Aoren reached down grasping the hem of his shirt. He pulled it off over his head revealing a firmly muscled torso honed from years of physical labor and a disciplined lifestyle. Without a second thought the young man began tearing his shirt into strips. He yanked on the tough fabric with a grunt, the linen giving way beneath his forceful tugs. Aoren balled up a few of the strips to form a makeshift rag to catch some of the bleeding and potentially assist in helping slow its loss. He shoved it under the Drykas leader’s hands then made him reapply the pressure.

With a furrowed brow, Aoren then took one of the longer strips of cloth readying it to wrap around the injured man’s waist. He tucked an arm beneath the wounded man’s back and lifted, the muscles in his arm and chest straining as the man was mostly limp. Aoren quickly lay a few strips of cloth beneath him tugging them over to the opposite side so he could compress them down upon the rag in the man’s abdomen. As gently as he was able he lowered the injured man back down to the ground then set to work binding his wound. By the time he was finished the rags being pressed into the man’s abdomen were quite bloody. To himself, as he tied off the bandages, Aoren offered up a silent prayer.

Please, please, let this work.

NoteI blame chat for some of the contents of this post!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Radiant on April 11th, 2014, 2:58 am

Bellic heaved a heavy sigh of relief when Aoren decided to help his bleeding comrade, may Zulrav blessed his kindness and granted him all that he needed, "Bellic, grateful" He introduced himself and spoke his gratitude in Broken Common. The other Drykas archer acted as a watch as he kept his arrows at the ready, the terrible beast could come back anytime soon and as much as it was heavy to do so, they couldn't sustain another bout with the creature, he prayed to Zulrav that the Balicani was gracious enough to leave them in peace.

Bellic just nodded and did whatever Aoren told him, he applied pressure to the wound as what he was told. Narak coughed up blood, his eyes shut close in pain, his teeth grating in extreme pain, the agony was unbearable without some kind of anesthetics, but alas, they were in the middle of the forest and the Drykas were lightly equipped for an encounter with a giant flying serpent. "Narak, Narak! Stay, stay, Alive!" Bellic couldn't communicate in the visual language of Pavi as Narak's eyes were positively shut, he resorted to his flawed Common instead. It seemed the wound was just too deep and without any sort of competent help, the bandages seemed to work at first, but... it was false hope as Narak coughed more blood, his eyes shot open as the black orbs started to roll back in extreme pain. "Narak! Narak! Remember, remember family! Pavilion! Wife, Child! No!" Bellic desperately tried to save his beloved comrade. Roman then kept groaning, two lives would be lost that day, however...

Time literally slowed down to a halt, the Drykas went still, the chirp of birds grew silent, the leaves went rigid as if frozen in ice, the very reality took a color of bluish tint, except for Aoren himself and... the young woman named 'Lenne'. Lenne approached the Seer from behind then gently caressed his shoulder, "Oh Marked of Avalis, tell me, despite all odds, despite what this men may do to me and you, why did you stay with Roman's side? Why did you stay with these raiders? Why did you unleash your magic upon the beast? All these knowing you could take me and return to the safety of Sylir's walls instead? Tell me, Aoren, tell me why are you so defiant to defy Death's cold embrace, even to your 'enemies'?" Lenne's voice took a slightly echo divine quality, the man might make his assumptions, but it would very obvious to him that Lenne was more than meets the eye.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aoren on April 11th, 2014, 3:29 am

“Bellic.” Aoren gave the Drykas leader a firm nod. He was at the end of his rope. The young man possessed no other skills that could assist the injured at this point. They were in the hands of the gods as it would take a miracle to save them then. The Fortress City was too far away to get help in time. Aoren had neither the knowledge nor the time to give either of the wounded the attention that they needed. His own wounds were beginning to take their toll on him. The adrenaline was subsiding. The muscles in his left forearm were beginning to spasm. He rubbed them firmly trying to flex his arm and keep up circulation and feeling. The weight of everything that had just transpired had begun to weigh down upon Aoren’s shoulders.

And then the world stopped moving.

Aoren looked up from the still form of the injured man, Narak and Bellic. They were as living statues amid a garden frozen in time. He scanned the clearing until his eyes came to rest upon Lenne. The woman he had saved first from being abducted and then from the Balicani. Only she was no ordinary woman. The very air around her radiated a graceful majesty that was, in a way, familiar to Aoren. In that moment he felt as if he had stepped across the boundaries that divided the mortal realm from the realms of the Divine. He looked down to the Seer’s Lily. He had not reached for the grace of Avalis but nonetheless he could feel the presence of the otherworldly.

And it all centered around Lenne.

Aoren couldn’t take his eyes off of her. When she touched his shoulder he resisted the urge to shiver, not from cold or from any negative feeling but from how overwhelming that one touch simply was. He knew then, he knew with all certainty that he was now kneeling in the presence of a god. He found that he was in a very appropriate position. Aoren didn’t know if he would have had it within him to stand in such a presence.

Oh Marked of Avalis, tell me, despite all odds, despite what this men may do to me and you, why did you stay with Roman's side? Why did you stay with these raiders? Why did you unleash your magic upon the beast? All these knowing you could take me and return to the safety of Sylir's walls instead? Tell me, Aoren, tell me why are you so defiant to defy Death's cold embrace, even to your 'enemies'?” Aoren listened to the words being spoken by Lenne. He did not ponder them for when he spoke he spoke from the heart.

“How can I abandon those who I have it within my power to help? I challenged these raiders not because they are my enemies but because I believe differently than they do.” He held up his right hand showing the Mark of the Goddess Avalis. “I saw some of what happened to these men and their families. Not only did I See it, I felt it. How can they be strangers after that? Knowing what I know, I believe they are good men. They are just trying to do the right thing, the wrong way.”

Aoren sighed shaking his head. His cobalt blue eyes met the eyes of the ethereal woman before him.

“Even if I didn’t know that, I would have still helped them. I might not have saved them but to turn away from them is to turn my back on everything I’ve been raised to believe in. I was raised to be a man of Peace but also to be a man who defends that peace. I was raised to believe in Justice.” He gestured to Roman and Narak. He then gestured vaguely in the direction of the deceased raider who had been killed before their struggle with the Balicani even began. “If this is not justice for the wrong they tried to commit, what is?”

“We might have been taken. My attempts to save you might have been in vain. If that had been the Fate for us, so be it. I am no god. I know nothing of what the Divines have in store for us mortals. I know only the road that lies behind a man and all I know is that all of us, no matter our beliefs, our deeds, or our hardships deserve the chance to choose a different road. That is why I would try to save them. That is why I didn’t flee to the walls of Syliras. To give them that chance.”

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on April 11th, 2014, 3:52 am

'Lenne' smiled softly, her radiant features visibly glowing with comforting bluish light, even through her very presence, Aoren could feel that all of his wounds, bruises, exhaustion, everything that was deemed unhealthy for a human washed away, he became as healthy and clean as when he was born. Lenne seemed to be pondering Aoren's answers, but through her now-divine features, one couldn't guess much on what she actually though. Lenne took Aoren's right hand, rubbing the Seer's Lily and the mark seemed to glow in tandemn to Lenne's touch, Aoren would feel a perfectly calming sensation washed over his being, then through the rapid visions playing in his mind, he would know that the woman before him was in fact, Rak'keli herself.

"My Sister chose her followers well," Rak'keli slowly released Aoren's hand, "You wish to help all those who needs it, no matter whom, friends, strangers, foes, Sylir's crusaders of justice would see these men fit for their sword, but you... you saw compassion in them, you saw how all beings deserve life, deserve a second chance. It is not a matter of good and evil, all living beings should be allowed to live their life." The Goddess then promptly hugged him, slowly, draping her arms around his shoulder, then she kissed the right side of his face, the point of contact glowing with bright azure light, then when she pulled away, a blue swirling tattoo-like mark could be seen on Aoren's face, matching the color of his eyes.

"I hereby grant you my power to save precious lives from the clutches of Death herself..." As her gnosis took effect, Aoren immediately knew how to use the divine power, the power to heal, it would allow him to sanitize Narak's wounds and buy more time for Roman's head wound, they would still be wounded, but they would not die. "Prove yourself that my Sister and I are right in choosing you, Aoren Skycrown," Lenne then smiled again, clasping both of her hands near her chest, "Do so and I will embrace you once more..." With a flash of bright bluish light, Rak'keli disappeared and time flowed again, with Bellic still begging for Narak to stay alive, Roman groaning in pain, and the Drykas archer keeping watch, birds continued to chirp, the breezy spring forest winds flowed, and reality's colors returned to normal. Aoren's trial had just begun, beginning with these two wounded men who by all Syliran's law rights, should be put to Sylir's sword.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on April 11th, 2014, 4:14 am

Part of Aoren wondered if this whole endeavor had been a trial to test his resolve. Whether or not it was didn’t matter. As the strength and tranquility that Rak’keli had to offer flowed through him he felt rejuvenated. His spirit soared. He felt whole and complete in a way that he hadn’t in a very long time. As Rak’keli pulled away, leaving only her blessed mark tears welled up in Aoren’s eyes. They fell only once. He did nothing to hide them. He did not wipe them away for they were tears of such absolute joy he could scarcely describe how he was feeling in that moment.

When the world returned to its natural flow of time Aoren was still in a little amount of shock and awe. He lightly reached up touching the right side of his face where rested the Gnosis of Healing. He knew it was there. He could feel it. Closing his eyes he offered up silent thanks to the goddess.

“I will not fail you, blessed goddess.” It was an oath. Private though it may have been he got the feeling that she had heard it. Opening his eyes Aoren reached out laying his hands upon Narak’s abdomen once again. He knew he could save this man. He knew that he could keep him from the arms of Death for just long enough to place him firmly in the realms of Life. Taking a steady breath he paid no heed to what looks he might have received from Bellic or the sentry not far off.

Aoren reached for the tranquility that he could feel deep within the core of his being, the strength that flowed forth from his connection with the Goddess of Healing. Through that connection he imparted the peace he felt to Narak. He felt it flow into the man and he knew with all certainty that this man would not suffer the misfortune of a deathly infection.

“Peace, Narak, Son of the Drykas. You will not know Death this day.” When Aoren was certain that he had done what he could for the man he rose to his feet then strode over to Roman. For a moment Aoren stared down at the unconscious man. He felt pity. He felt kinship but above all he felt the weight of a duty upon his shoulders and he was glad for it. Kneeling beside him Aoren took Roman’s hand grasping it firmly.

He kept his eyes focused on Roman’s face as he once again reached for the otherworldly peace that flowed through him via his connection with Rak’keli. He could not see the result of his touch but he was certain it would work. He envisioned the bruising upon Roman’s skin lightening and then vanishing. He saw the surface cuts mending and the aches being pushed away to be replaced by a soothing peace.

“Roman, Son of the Drykas, you will not know Death this day either.”
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on April 11th, 2014, 4:42 am

Bellic was too concerned with the wellbeing of his comrades to notice the new swirling mark on Aoren's face, granted, most of them never got a good look on the Seer's face before since they were chased by a Balicani, so they failed to notice that the swirling mark was not there before. The Drykas watch looked to his left and right, searching for the young woman, she was nowhere to be seen, he shrugged, assuming Lenne must have ran away in the confusion. Bellic finally noticed Aoren's hands applying more pressure to Narak's wounds, the Drykas leader trusted everything to Aoren, not knowing he was now blessed with Rak'keli's powers. After Aoren pulled his hands away, Narak seemed to... calm down, his breath steadied, his didn't cough blood anymore, and the man seemed to just fall into a deep exhausted sleep.

Bellic checked his pulses and breath, the man was alive, he was about to raise his head and said numerous thanks to Aoren, but stopped when he saw the healer putting his hands to Roman's head, and even from some distance, Bellic had this gut feeling that Roman would be alright, the man also falling into a deep sleep. Zulrav be praised! Bellic shouted in his mind then he gestured for the archer to take care of Narak as the leader stood up to approach Aoren, then he bowed in gratitude and respect, "Bellic, thank you! Bellic, very grateful! Happy! You, Bellic owe!" The man didn't care if he sounded silly in his broken Common, he didn't carry any mizas with him, but he had to repay Aoren's help in some way. Then his eyes trailed to the his exquisite composite shortbow, fit for a commander.

Bellic then offered his composite shortbow to Aoren with both of his hands, "Please, take! Gift, from Bellic! Take!" Without waiting for Aoren's approval, the Drykas took his hands then rather forcefully put the bow on Aoren's hands. The Drykas would love to spend more time with his comrades' savior, but... his trained hunter ears heard the sound of galloping warsteeds combined with the clank of armor, the Crusaders of Sylir were near, they couldn't linger. "Us, leave now, sorry, Bellic, grateful forever." With a nod, he picked up Roman then his other companion picked up Narak, then they swiftly mounted their striders then rode away from the forest. Only Aoren and the Balicani's scars upon the woods remained there.

As Aoren was about to leave the location, he could feel a pair of eyes watching him from behind a tree as if it was suddenly there, then the being revealed itself, it was a man clothed in dark cloak and hood, covering most of his features. The man carried an uneasy aura about him, like he was a walking graveyard or tomb, the man raised his right hand, signaling he was not hostile, if Aoren noticed, a mark of black scythe could be seen on it, "Death is part of the cycle, Healer," The Eiyon spoke slow, but despite his deep voice, no malice could be heard from it, only neutral diplomatic tone, "Take heed not to disrupt Death's hands." With those few words, the Eiyon then turned away from Aoren, walking further until he disappeared from into the forest depths.

OOCAlright, one last post from you and then I'll post your grades!
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on April 11th, 2014, 4:59 am

Aoren watched the Drykas depart. Part of him wanted to go with them. It was the part of him that longed to see and meet his family, if they were even still alive. He knew now why the Drykas people had been driven to such desperate lengths. The devastation that had plunged their whole way of life to the edge of oblivion was not something to take lightly. He did not follow them. He looked down at the bow in his hands and wondered if there would come a time when he met the men he’d fought with down the road. He had no way of knowing.

Holding up the composite shortbow he pulled back the string testing the strength. It felt odd. He was not accustomed to firing with a bow and arrow but he felt it was something he could get used to with practice. He released the bowstring slowly then sighed setting about gathering what he’d dropped in the clearing.

As he reached for his quarterstaff, one of his most prized possessions, Aoren felt as if he were being watched. He stood up straight turning to see a dark hooded man step into the clearing. Upon seeing the scythe on his arm Aoren knew the man to be a servant of Dira though he didn’t know their proper title. He gave the man a slight bow. There in that clearing stood two men devoted to two very different deities but he could respect a man for their beliefs even if they were not his own.

“I hear your words, Brother. I pray my actions here have not angered, Death. Thank you for your wisdom.” He bowed his head watching as the dark hooded man left the clearing. Shouldering the shortbow, Aoren grasped his quarterstaff turning in the direction he thought he might have left his belongings. He would have to trace his steps for a short while and no doubt explain to the patrolling knights some of the events that transpired. As he made his way out of the clearing though, for the first time in a long time Aoren was certain of something: he’d found a purpose for his gifts.

NoteThank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on April 11th, 2014, 5:14 am

Aoren :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +4 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Intimidation +1 XP
Philosophy +2 XP
Persuasion +2 XP
Weapon: Quarterstaff +4 XP
Acrobatics +2 XP
Brawling +2 XP
Running +1 XP
Reimancy +2 XP
Endurance +3 XP
Medicine +5 XP
Herbalism +1 XP
Leadership +2 XP
Writing +1 XP
Tactics +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Herbalism: Oak Moss
Lenne: Teenage Herbalist
Bellic: Drykas Raider Leader
Narak: Drykas Raider
Roman: Drykas Raider
Balicani: Serpentine Terror From The Skies
Reimancy: Wind Spear And Fire Sphere Combo
Balicani's Horns Are Combustible
Rak'keli: Goddess of Healing And Avalis' Sister
Rak'keli: All Beings Deserve Life
Rak'keli: The Power To Heal Is Above Good And Evil
Marked By Rak'keli
Medicine: Applying Pressure To Staunch Off Bleeding
Medicine: Handling Head Trauma
Eiyon: Hands of Death

Loots
L1 Healing Gnosis Mark from Rak'keli on the right side of Aoren's face in the form of swirling azure sigil
+1 Composite Shortbow

Notes :
Wooo! We did it! Thank you for threading with me in my 2nd Gnosis thread, Aoren! *Bows deeply* Thank you!

I hope you enjoy your awesome grades! If I miss something, just PM away!

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous