Completed [The Bronze Wood] The Road Most Traveled

Seeking answers often breeds only more questions. (Accolade)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Wood] The Road Most Traveled

Postby Aoren on October 6th, 2013, 2:49 am

68thth of Autumn
9th Bell

This season had become a trying one for Aoren. Every minute he spent in Syliras seemed to place him in a more difficult situation. There were questions he was being forced to ask himself that he had buried deep within his past. Little by little he was being made to reconsider who he was as a person and how he viewed the world.

“You’ve really done it now, Aoren. What are you going to do with yourself?” He shook his head. For the longest time Aoren had convinced himself that he was content. That he was happy. The truth was…he wasn’t. He had nothing tying him to Syliras. He had nothing in the city worth staying for. For twenty-four years Aoren had lived with the knowledge that he was, deep down, lost. He didn’t know who he was, where he came from, or why he was where he was. From the day he could really first realize what the notion of family was he had been searching for his. He knew that the answers he sought could be found if only he meditated and used the gift bestowed upon him by the Goddess of Divination.
But he was afraid of what he might find there.

So he pieced together the truth in his own way. Both running toward and away from who and what he was. When he was younger his closest friend had once noted his affinity for horses. The beasts seemed to take to him and he to them. They were inspiring to him. It was through them he found out that he was Drykas. Visions of the rolling hills of the Sea of Grass once visited him in his youth. There were times when he simply couldn’t help but receive them. He would sometimes find himself in waking dreams surrounded by great running beasts he one day learned to call Striders. Aoren had never seen one up close but he found comfort in the presence of normal horses though he didn’t spend much time around them as of late. He had since learned to discipline his mind a bit more carefully. Especially since he’d lost Ileera.

Loss.

That truly was at the core of what weighed down on Aoren. Before he even had the mind to remember he’d lost his family.

“Is my father alive? Is my mother? Are my siblings?” Aoren knew he had a family. That there was a possibility they were alive. Through chance, or perhaps through the mechanations of his patron goddess, he had met a Drykas man who had confirmed Aoren’s heritage. Aoren was Drykas. That much he knew about himself. He had suspected as much for several years and when he met the man named Crypt he had confirmed it. But why had he been given up? Why was he alone?

Aoren sighed. It was hardly the time for such questions. He hefted the pack over his shoulder carefully and knelt in the underbrush of the forest. Resting his quarterstaff against his shoulder he brushed his fingers over the fallen leaves at the base of a common lime tree. He looked up at the tall tree a half smile touching his lips. He was in the Bronze Wood collecting herbs for Mistress Sahfri Blackleaf. Not every ingredient she required for her remedies could be grown in a garden. There were some that just needed to be picked. It just so happened that the particular herb he was looking for happened to be near a clearing within the woods he liked to frequent. Pausing just a moment to pick up a few leaves that could be studied for use later he moved on toward his true destination.

Aoren was familiar with the geography of Syliras. He’d become acquainted with the vast majority of it in his adolescent years when he was even more foolish than he considered himself to be in the present day. The years he’d spent running straight into the arms of trouble and out of sensibility. He bore the scars of his less responsible years proudly. They reminded him of happier times. Through his work as an apothecary, though his erstwhile friend would never have approved, he had become familiar with various plants and herbs. Healing. Medicine. It appealed to him. He’d quieted over the past few years. He wasn’t as rowdy. He wasn’t as reckless. He was still adventurous at heart but that indomitable spirit was tempered with a bit of patience gained through experienced dangerous circumstances. He sometimes wondered how he’d survived this long.

“I am hardly the same man that I was two years ago. I don’t think that man would have had the courage to consider facing what I am now.”

Coming upon the clearing he sometimes frequented he noted the gnarled oak tree that stood watch over the relatively peaceful space. It was in here that Aoren went to clear his head. It was in that clearing where, when he was faced with his most troubling questions, he could find answers. There were still those answers he was too afraid to seek out though.

“Am I a coward for refusing to face the truth of my past? Am I without character because I fear the unknown? What does a son abandoned by his father do when faced with the question: why?”

Why not?

Who could truly say? Certainly not Aoren. There was only one person who could answer that question and there was only one way that Aoren was going to find the answer. As he entered the clearing he made his way up to the gnarled and partially barren oak tree. For as long as he could remember, ever since first stumbling upon the clearing some years ago, the tree had been only half-alive. There were branches that never sprouted leaves. There were branches that bore the traipsing’s of a grand oak as one should throughout the seasons. He ran his fingers over the bark. Growing on the tree was what he needed. Oak Moss. He set his pack on the ground at the base of the tree then rest his quarterstaff against the trunk. He would collect the oak moss but first there was something he needed to do.

Taking a seat at the base of the tree he pulled off his boots so that his bare feet touched the soft ground. It was chilly. As was to be expected in Bala’s season. He didn’t care though. Somehow the simple act of actually feeling the earth beneath his feet helped to calm his nerves. He set his boots aside next to his pack then looked around. When he was certain that there was no immediate danger he folded his legs beneath him, his travel robe helping to stave off the chill, and reached into his pack withdrawing a book , a quill and an ink well that was half-full. He set the ink well on the ground, uncorked it then dipped the quill inside and opened the book to a blank page.

“68th of Autumn, 513 AV

Somewhere off the beaten path there is a place I call my sanctuary. It is quiet. It is peaceful. There is nothing awe inspiring about it. There is no breath taking view. There is nothing magical in the air and yet there is indeed something magical about it. On the days where I can simply no longer stand the noise of Syliras I find myself drawn to this place. It is where my cluttered thoughts suddenly fall into place and make sense. It is where I be both myself and lose myself in the dream of who I want to be.

That is the question I am faced with. Who, exactly, is it that I want to be? There was a time where I might have been able to answer this question simply. Now, nothing seems to be quite so simple. I am…conflicted. I was not born to Syliras but I call Syliras my home. It has clothed me. It has fed me. I am sheltered by the peace if offers. But my blood is of the Horseclans. They are a people I do not know. A people I am afraid to know. With the raids pressing down upon Syliran holdings I sometimes wonder what exactly could bring my father’s people to such desperate ends? It is also this same question that gives me pause.

When one walks the road most traveled, to what places does it lead?

A road to answers. Or a road to more questions? “

Aoren continued to write in silence. He would occasionally stop to take a look at his surroundings or to give thought to the words he’d written on the page but for the most part he seemed consumed with the need to put his thoughts onto the paper.

Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Accolade on October 13th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Aoren was having a hard time indeed. The young Drykas was going through the trails that many went through around his age, Drykas or not. He felt lost, but did he, even in his worse moment truly understand the feeling of lost? The horsechans of Endrykas knew this well. Entire Pavilions lost during the djed storm of 512 and even more deaths when the horrific disease that appeared as pox ripped through there after. The Drykas were desperate people now, and in that desperation they started to raid other cities for women to bring back to their clans.

So far their tactics hadn't work so well in Sylira, and many of the horseclan had been killed or moved on in their search. However, there were a few still in the area, still searching, still waiting for those stragglers who dared to wonder outside of the city to appear and be taken by them. One such man was Roman Rainsong, a tall, yet slender, muscular man with long dirty blonde hair. He wore a dark brown fur that covered most of his body and hid his tattoos from the eyes of others. The grasslander had been searching the area for some time, before he made his way into the bronze woods.

At the time he had been accompanied by two others that had since moved on to search a wider grid. Roman was left alone to stake out the area, but he didn't mind. For the good of his Pavilion, he would stop at nothing to help rebuild what they lost. It would seem that on this day, the man would be in luck as he left his camp and headed out for a hunt. When he approached a clearing, a wide open area just beyond the clusters of forest he would see his prey. In the midst of the field where most of the flowers had died out at the change of the season, was a young woman with long dark hair, and eyes as green as the grass at her feet.

The young woman was Lenne, a flower girl from Syliras who wanted to learn Herbalism. She enjoyed pretty flowers as many young women did, but her objective was to gather herbs as well as a particular flower that lasted longer in the seasons than the rest. Roman was struck the moment that he saw her, and he not only wanted her for the sake of the clan, but his own personal desires caused him to act rashly. The proud and bold Drykas frightened the girl and caused her to flee for her life with the man in hot pursuit.

Lenne wasn't a fighter, nor a strong minded woman, she was barely 18 and had spent most of her life in the comfort of the city where the worse thing she'd experienced was going hungry for a few nights. She raced through the forest, and she screamed loudly. Arms windmilling, legs stumbling and kicking up dust as she tried to escape. Roman on the other hand was in much better shape and knew how to run for a distance and how to keep his breathing under control. It didn't take him long to catch the girl who was now out of breath. Roman reached out, snatching the girl's arm and turning her around.

Still screaming Lenne, pulled against him, turning herself left and right as she tried to pull free. They tugged and pulled, finally the girl's fingers raked the flesh at his cheek forcing him to let go. Turning, her feet met with a grounded rock and she slipped, ankle buckling as it twisted beneath her weight. Lenne gasped loudly as she limped backwards, favoring her injured leg and watching the man in front of her. There was no where to run now.

x
Accolade
The Journey begins here...

Words: 307037
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Aoren on October 13th, 2013, 10:43 pm

"Never is there an easy answer to the troubles that lie ahead." Aoren finished writing. He blew on the paper of the book so that the ink would dry better without smudging once the pages came together. Corking the inkwell he placed his writing materials back into his pack. Pulling on his boots he sighed withdrawing a simple knife he used primarily for eating then began the slow, careful task of removing the Oak Moss from the bark of the tree without damaging it too much.

Given that Aoren was hardly an accomplished herbalist that was saying something. His hands pressed too hard on the moss squishing it. The hand that cut it off the bark sliced in places that were detrimental to the well-being of the plant. He didn't preserve the fibrous roots of the moss and that which he did he was certain wouldn't be enough to help the plant survive more than a day at best. He had also failed to bring the pouch that Mistress Blackleaf had purchased specifically for transporting herbs gathered from the wilderness. The young man sighed inwardly.

"Less than excellent, Aoren. Oh well. Salvage what you can then get back to--" His thoughts were abruptly interrupted. A blood curdling scream echoed through the forest. He watched as several ravens took to the air just as startled by the outburst as he was. That was a human scream and it sounded close by. Aoren's stomach twisted into knots. Screams like that heralded a great deal of distress. He could not ignore it though. Moving swiftly he rose to his feet then grabbed his quarterstaff darting off in the direction he'd heard the scream.

He was aware of the fact that he'd left his possessions unattended. Material things could be replaced. From the sound of it there was a life at stake and that was something far more important. As he reached the edge of the clearing he planted the butt of his quarterstaff using it as a rudimentary pole vault over an outcropping of roots that obscured his way. He landed with a thud but didn't let that slow him down. Aoren was familiar with running, hiking or walking long distances. He wasn't so disciplined a runner as to control his breathing with measured clarity. He stumbled over dips in the ground. He managed to get himself tangled in the branches of a low-growing shrub. He batted away the shrubbery with the end of his staff.

Another scream pierced the silence of the forest.

It was closer this time but still a good distance away. Aoren skidded to a halt very nearly running into the trunk of a tree. He looked around for any distinguishing paths that might make his headlong rush into what could be a dangerous situation any easier. His heart was beating much faster. His breathing was slightly elevated. He turned his head this way and that trying to discern exactly what direction the screaming was coming from. Closing his eyes for a moment he tried to focus.

Another scream.

"Gotcha. Hang on. I'm coming."

Aoren sprinted to his right where it sounded like the screaming was originating from. He barreled through low hanging branches, using his quarterstaff to try and knock the most of them out of the way. He charged through a patch of what he was almost certain had to be poison ivy but he was heedless to the obstacles the forest seemed to be placing in his way. Finally Aoren burst through a line of trees into a more sparsely crowded area. It wasn't quite a clearing but the trees were thinner than their brethren standing watch over the old forest. What looked like several deer paths lined the forest floor. All of that was pushed to the back of his mind as he assessed the situation in front of him.

There was a dark haired woman limping away from a tall well-built man covered in furs. She looked positively terrified. The man however looked grim with unspoken intent. Given the woman's reaction to him it was obvious that whatever the intent it was not for her benefit.

"Hey!" He shouted. Though he was a little out of breath, Aoren was a very fit young man so his brazen dash through the forest had not taken too much out of him. He slid his hand up the shaft of his quarterstaff staring down the both of them. He gripped it tightly completely prepared to use it if need be. "What's going on here?"

Now, Aoren was an intimidating sight to the majority of people he came across. After an event during his childhood he had fostered a healthy habit of keeping himself in pique physical condition. Added to the fact that he typically towered over whomever he was speaking to and that made the majority of would-be rabble-rousers back down unless they were skilled fighters. Taking in the sight of the fur covered man though and Aoren knew immediately that a mere show of presence would not work. He looked again from the terrified woman, more a girl upon closer inspection, to the fur covered man.

The situation spoke for itself and was riddled with the implication of an attempted rape. Aoren didn't want to jump to conclusions however but his natural instinct told him that something foul was afoot.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Accolade on October 18th, 2013, 12:29 am

When Lenne heard the voice call out, her heart swelled with hope at the idea of being saved. It was harder to make him out through tear-filled eyes, but she hobbled towards him as fast as she could screaming loudly for his help. Her ankle was in alot of pain, but still she pushed on to escaped her attacker. "Help! Please help me!" The closer she got to Aoren the louder the girl screamed as she could see her freedom just beyond the gap between them.

Roman was beside himself with anger and frustration, finally he had found a female alone in the forest perfect for the picking, but this one wasn't coming easily. What made the kidnapping attempt even worse was the fact that now another man had showed up to interfere with his plans. The Drykas warrior had been left alone by his comrades and now found himself needing their aid. Facing off against Aoren didn't scare him, but he knew that while they fought the girl would have a chance to run away and draw more attention, possibly even from the Knights.

He couldn't let that happen, and he couldn't allow her to escape. What happened next would shock Aoren as the blonde haired man acted rashly. He raced up behind Lenne and lifted her into his arms, she struggled, still screaming for a savior when it happened. Perhaps he slipped, his eagerness to catch the girl causing his body to react too quickly, or maybe he was just fed up with it all. Whatever the reason, the man lifted the girl into his arms before slamming her down on the ground hard where her already wounded leg twisted uncomfortably beneath her.

Lenne released a horrific gasp as all the air was forced from her lungs, and the girl laid frozen in a state of pain and fear on the ground at the feet of the Drykas. Roman stared down at her, a look on his face uncertain of what he had just done, before he turned his gaze upon Aoren again.

"Mind your business city scum, this doesn't not concern you.You are in the presences of a mighty Drykas warrior and there are more of us on the way. Walk away now while you still have the chance."

x
Accolade

Office
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Aoren on October 20th, 2013, 7:33 pm

"Help! Please help me!"

Aoren could see very clearly that the dark haired woman was terrified. Her words confirmed his suspicions. She was limping badly, clutching her leg attempting to stabilize her movements. He stepped forward intent on helping her get to him and into relative safety away from the man trying to do her harm.

"It's okay. I'm here to hel--"

What happened next caught Aoren by surprise.

The bearskin covered man rushed forward, grabbed the woman around the waist, lifted her up and slammed her down onto the ground. Aoren was stunned at the merciless action. The woman's desperate cry of pain resonated within in Aoren as horribly wrong. It tore at him and made him wince. No one should have to suffer like that. When he'd collected his senses he felt an indignant rage building up inside of himself. Who could be so cruel? Who could cause such senseless misery? For what? What purpose did it serve? These were things he could not wrap his head around. To see an obviously very strong man beat a defenseless woman into submission infuriated him. He clenched the fist not gripping his quarterstaff tightly. His anger was revealed only in the narrowing of his eyes and the stiffness of his shoulders.

"You heartless bastard..." He didn't shout. Aoren's words were spoken softly. They were not spoken as an accusations. His tone was frank, level, and rife with disgust.

"Mind your business city scum, this doesn't not concern you.You are in the presences of a mighty Drykas warrior and there are more of us on the way. Walk away now while you still have the chance."

Drykas? Aoren studied the man more closely now that his face wasn't concealed. He looked young. Probably around Aoren's age or maybe a year or two older. He did have that nomadic look about him. The look of someone comfortable in the wilderness. Aoren glanced around. He appeared to be alone.

"More on the way? That could prove difficult. I'm not skilled enough to defeat more than one opponent at a time. I can't leave her though. Now that I know he's a Drykas, one of my kinsmen, I know exactly what he's going to do with her. I can't let him do that. It's wrong." Aoren fixed the other man with a hard stare.

"I don't care. I won't let you do this. What you're doing is wrong." He stepped forward keeping his eyes firmly situated on the blonde haired man mindful of his obvious speed and strength. He would need to be ready if the man decided to strike out but Aoren would try to reason with him anyways. Angry though he was, furious though he was, he had no desire to hurt anyone beyond the obvious pain and suffering that was present.

"Syliras is my home. But it is not where I am from." He brought a hand up touching it to his breast them bowed his head slightly then extending that same hand to the blonde haired man. In essence, he had made the Pavi symbol for "kinsman". Aoren didn't have an extensive knowledge of Pavi. He knew enough to hold broken conversations in the language of his father's people.

"What you are about to do..." He shook his head. An echo of sadness crept into Aoren's voice and his face. "You're taking this woman from her family. You're stealing her life away. Everything she knows. Everyone she loves. You are ripping that from her. Why are you doing this? Can't you see the life you're taking?" He gestured toward the woman trembling at the man's feet.

"I was ripped from my family. I grew up not knowing my father's strength nor my mother's love. I know little of my brothers. I know even less about my sisters. Why? Because I was taken from them. I was taken away from my family by the very man who called himself my father. I don't know why. Maybe I never will." He stepped closer. He wasn't close enough to offer much assistance to the woman but he was much closer than before. The blonde haired Drykas seemed troubled. The expression on his face told Aoren that he, in part, regretted some of what he'd just done to the young woman cowering beneath him.

"Everything I know I've had to piece together. Please." He made a placating gesture. "Don't do this. Don't take who she is away from her. Don't make her wander into a life where deep down she will always be a stranger."

And there it was.

The deep seated truth that dwelt within Aoren's own heart. No matter how long he'd lived within the virtuous walls of the City of Peace he felt like a stranger. He felt as if he didn't completely belong. That became even more evident when the Drykas raids began. The overwhelming hostility toward the people he'd once heard were so proud and fierce was shocking. It made him recoil from ever truly pursuing his heritage any further than he already had. What if the Knights labeled him a spy? What if he was killed simply because he was of a people he, in all reality, knew so little about.

Aoren didn't know why the Drykas were raiding this place or that but he could sympathize deeply with the people taken and forced into a life where everything was strange to them. It was how he lived his life every day. Syliras was part of him. But it was not entirely part of him.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Accolade on November 2nd, 2013, 8:23 pm

Lenne continued to breathe heavily, her small body racked with pain. It was the worse day of her life, and she couldn't think of any time or anything that could be worse. Her life flashed in front of her eyes and she thought of all the people that she loved, and everything she would be leaving behind if she didn't make it back home.

Please...don't let him take me.

Roman stood proudly beside the woman, no fear or remorse in his eyes. Perhaps he hadn't meant to slam her as hard, but he did what was needed to keep her, and it worked. The man standing in his way was another story. He claimed to be Drykas and yet he stood in the way of his own people and what they had to do to survive. Roman found him more than cowardly, not to mention a traitor.

"You call yourself a Drykas? Fool! You are no Drykas. You are nothing but a joke" Roman hissed the words, either pissed off that the man was standing in his way or the fact that he claimed to be kin. "Go back to your city, play your games, and drink your ale. Leave the work of real Drykas to us." He turned his back on Aoren and picked up the young woman who was too tired and dizzy to put up much of a fight. If Aoren didn't act, the man would walk off with her and her new life would begin.

"I'll say it again, go home boy. You've already shamed yourself enough today."

x
Accolade

Office
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Aoren on November 3rd, 2013, 8:22 pm

Aoren hung his head. Not in shame but in agony. For so long he had dreamed of meeting his people. For so long he had envisioned being greeted by a family he had never known. To be metaphorically slapped in the face by one of his own people and called shameful and a joke? It hurt him more than words could describe. But he looked past that. The Drykas man before him spoke with a vehemence that made Aoren suspect he was acting out of some desperate need.

What has driven all of you down this path?

It baffled Aoren. How could a people who were obviously so filled with strength and pride be brought so low?

"I'll say it again, go home boy. You've already shamed yourself enough today." He clenched his fist raising his gaze in indignant anger. He was beginning to get emotional. The fact that he was rejected, that his kinsman would so brazenly slap away the hand of peace he offered, the inability to reconcile exactly what just happened filled him with an inexplicable anger. Silently he watched the Drykas man pick up the defenseless woman as if she were nothing more than a prize he had already gainfully won. The very sight of it disgusted him.

“You shame yourself and you will carry your shame with you to your grave.” The words were not shouted but they were said in stern anger. Aoren didn't care how he would do it but he would make the man understand just how gravely he had offended the displaced Drykas. He would not let him get away with this. It infuriated Aoren on a level that would later surprise him but on an even deeper level it saddened him.

Aoren kicked up the butt of his staff crouching low pressing the flat of his hand to the ground to gain the balance he would need for what he was about to do. He had seen one woman in his life be carted away like a sack of meat to be taken to the butcher. He would be damned if he allowed a similar even to unfold right before his eyes. He had been a coward then. He had run from the conflict. His fear had paralyzed him then. It had been his inability to act that had brought about the loss of the truest friend he’d ever had.

Ileera, wherever you are, I pray to all the gods that you can forgive me for that day. But now I act where I had been unable to before and I do it in hopes that one day we meet again that I may beg your forgiveness.

Digging the toes of his boots into the ground he darted forward, his quarterstaff at an angle by his side. He gripped it tightly. Dashing forward he made a veer to the right angling away from the Drykas man he jumped toward the nearest tree then jut his staff outward using it to rebound off the trunk. The impact against the bark jarred his hand and caused an ache in his wrist he knew he would regret later but that could wait.

Using the momentum gained from propelling himself off the tree he angled his body so that he could bring his knee up to connect with the right side of the Drykas man’s head. He had no idea if what he was about to do would work. He was more likely to injure himself and the woman than her would-be captor. He only hoped that he had somehow managed to catch the man by surprise. If he had that element in his favor then maybe this haphazardly improvised assault would have some semblance of success. That act was done however there was nothing he could do but follow through.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Accolade on November 16th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Roman was furious with the young man, who claimed to be Drykas. He wasn't, not a real Drykas if he didn't understand what they were doing and that it was for the good of their kind. This man deserved a swift beating, but Roman didn't want him dead, murdering wasn't the answer. The Drykas was in fact surprised by the man's attack, who would have thought he'd risk harming the woman he was supposed to be protecting with such a move?

Thinking quickly, Roman spun away with the woman still in his arms to dodge the attack. The momentum carried them further and he had to stump his foot down to stop his forward motion. With the force of the momentum suddenly stopped, Roman felt the woman slide from his arms and tumble back to the ground. He was even more angry now, and ripped his Tulwar from the sheath on his back.

"You've made a grave mistake in coming here, and I won't go easy on you."

Roman charged in, rushing towards Aoren at full speed. He stopped suddenly when he reached him, and spun off to his left, swinging the Tulwar blade towards the man's gut. His attacks were hard and just as fast. He would push Aoren back with his blade if he blocked and continued into a flurry of swings. Lenne laid on the ground half awake and half asleep. She didn't think about anything other than her family, and those that she wanted to return to as she started to crawl away.

In the meantime, the two other Drykas that were traveling with him, had reached their limits around Syliras, and without finding anymore women to take, they decided to regroup and leave the area all together. Both men headed back towards Roman's location at top speed.

x
Accolade

Office
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Aoren on November 27th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Aoren hated to bring more potential injury to the already distressed woman but he’d seen no other way to effectively approach attacking her captor. He wasn’t a dishonorable fighter and while his assault may have come as a surprise it wasn’t entirely from behind. That was a cowards way of fighting and Aoren wasn’t a coward. He was smart but he wouldn’t deny this Drykas the chance to defend himself.

His attack was rebuffed and Aoren was pushed back with a quick and decisive maneuver from the Drykas. Aoren couldn’t say he was entirely surprised by the counter to his attack. The man seemed to be experienced in the way of combat. He was likely more experienced than Aoren could ever hope to be but that wouldn’t deter the young man from trying. The only important thing on his mind at the moment was to afford the injured woman the opportunity to escape.

Landing on his feet Aoren barely had time to bring his quarterstaff up in a block from the wicked slash aimed at his gut by the tulwar blade the Drykas was wielding. He was pushed back sliding through the dirt of the ground just an inch or so from the sheer force of the blow. Despite this, Aoren would not back down. The ferocity of the Drykas man’s assault was intense but it was not disheartening. While he certainly couldn’t call himself a master fighter, Aoren wasn’t without his experience either. He knew that in this instance there wasn’t a chance of him going onto the offensive. He kept his movements purely defensive. He blocked the flurry of swings aimed at him with the tulwar blade with quick dexterous swings of his quarterstaff.

There was very little Aoren could do beyond that however. The kidnapper was obviously a greater fighter than he was. Aoren was under no illusion that he could defeat this attacker through a show of sheer force. He would have to be clever and he would have to be quick. Deciding that he would, for the briefest of moments, throw caution to the wind he opted for a more skillful display of quarterstaff combat. As the blade of the Drykas man’s tulwar came down upon the shaft of his quarterstaff Aoren swung it in a windmill pattern spinning on the heel of his foot jutting the butt of the staff outward in an attempt to gain some leverage in this fight. He overestimated his movement and was slightly off the mark which caused his wrist to flare in pain from where he’d jarred it doing his surprise attack. It was worth it though as it caused the other man to back off just a little giving Aoren just a little room to breathe.

It didn’t last long though. The man was on Aoren just as viciously as before. Aoren brought his quarterstaff down on the flat end of the tulwar locking them both in a struggle for dominance. It was either the Drykas reared back throwing Aoren off or Aoren risked releasing his hold on the blade chancing getting slashed but striking a blow on his opponent as well. He stared into the eyes of his present adversary a cold resolution in his gaze. It wasn’t anger in Aoren’s eyes. It wasn’t even sadness at the numbing rejection he’d faced. There in his cobalt eyes was reflected a righteous determination to not let the man get away with what he was doing. It was wrong. It went against everything Aoren believed in and he wouldn’t stand for it.

So he took a chance.

Throwing off the deadlock Aoren rushed forward swinging his staff toward the Drykas man’s gut….and got a nasty gash along his forearm for his effort. Aoren cried out as the man brought the sharpness of his blade down upon Aoren’s exposed left forearm. It cut through the skin and dug into the muscle. Aoren swung his staff upward knocking the blade aside stepping a few paces back eyeing his opponent. He was in obvious pain. His attempt had been deflected by the superior fighter but that was only to be expected. Aoren’s only goal at the moment was to provide an opening for the woman to escape. He was just a distraction serving as her means of salvation. If that meant he had to suffer the bite of a sharpened blade then so be it.

“You’re wrong.” He stared his opponent down dropping into a defensive stance readying himself for the onslaught of swings that would come his way. Aoren’s breathing was elevated. There was sweat beading on his brow and his forearm was bleeding steadily but in no life threatening way. He spoke between breaths. “I’ve made no mistake in being here. I’m right where I’m supposed to be.”

He spoke with solid conviction. For Aoren, there was no backing down in this fight. No matter the odds that were stacked against him. He firmly believed in what he was doing right then and a man firm in his beliefs made for an equally dangerous opponent. Whether the Drykas responded or not was lost on Aoren as he glanced at the injured woman seeing her crawl away. That briefest of distractions almost got him gutted. He brought his quarterstaff up to block a swing at his midsection. He spun away from the Drykas gaining some space before darting back in trying to catch the man off guard.

To no avail.

This man’s defense is as solid as an iron gate. Dammit I need to find an opening.” There didn’t seem to be any though which only made the fight that much harder for Aoren. He moved to block another flurry of blows but was too slow in bringing up his quarterstaff gaining him a painful cut across his chest. Aoren bit off a cry of pain and jumped back whirling his staff in a low windmill pattern with his right hand trying to sweep the Drykas man off his feet. The young man stumbled back bringing his free hand up to his chest touching the open wound there and glaring his opponent.

“Where will this get us? I will not give up. I will not back down. Even if you cut me to ribbons. Even if you break the bones in my body. I will not stop. I will not let you steal a life. I won’t.” Though it pained him to move with the gash across his chest, move he did resuming his stance once more. Fight he would. He would fight until he could fight no more. Heedless of the danger speeding his way he continued under the ferocious battering of the Drykas man matching blow for blow as much as he could.

NoteI had no idea how to approach this fight if I'm going to be honest. I went with what came to me and I kinda feel like I've horribly godmodded. If none of this is to your liking I will gladly rewrite all of it.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Accolade on December 30th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Lenne laid still, her mind a jumble of thoughts and her body was racked with pain. She could see them fighting close by, the sounds of their blades rung in her ears and her body flinched involuntarily at the struggle. It didn't take great observation to see that Aoren wasn't fairing well, and if he didn't find a way to win, they were going to die. Lenne wasn't a fighter, there was no way that she could take on the Drykas even with his help.

However the girl didn't want to die, she didn't want to leave her family behind, or her life. Slowly, the girl started to crawl towards them, her leg ached something fierce, but her drive to survive was even stronger. Lenne hissed and groaned as she moved, trying to angle her body off the side of her injured leg. The fight between the Drykas men continued, it was a clash to be seen, Grasslander vs city man, but both with Drykas blood.

"Then you will die boy..you will die. I warned you to step away and still you stand here."

Roman attacked Aoren with a fury, and delivered him a stiff elbow when he tangled their weapons. Any intruder would have pissed him off, but a supposed Drykas? That really pissed him off. He wasn't tired, the man was a trained fighter, but he had started to sweat and his heart was pumping strong. He was better than Aoren, but the other Drykas did have a few good moves. Roman felt his fury and had a few marks to show for it. He attacked again, wielding his Tulwar with sharp execution. Roman spun on his heels, his blade slashing out at Aoren in a slant that held more power because of the spin that he applied with it.

"You're no Drykas, imposter..I'll show you a real Drykas." Once again their blades would clash and lock up, forcing both men to struggle to dominate the other. Roman jerked his leg out, slamming it into Aoren's knee and drew him in for a viscous headbutt to stagger him. As angry as he was, he didn't want the death of this man, but he had to be dealt with. A leg injury might be enough, or adding to that an arm to keep him from using his staff effectively.

But before any serious injury was delivered, Aoren was saved from a very unlikely aid. By this time Lenne had crawled close enough behind Roman to do anything and the girl reached out with the little strength she had left and hugged the man's legs together. Roman stumbled, almost tripping before he was able to catch his footing again. The proud Drykas reared back, his weapon almost slicing into Lenne's thigh as he tried to stay his balance. The girl could only hold on for so long, but she may have gave Aoren the help that he needed.

x
Accolade

Office
Trash Medal (1)

Next