If You Can Meet With Triumph And Disaster... [Vanator]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on July 3rd, 2011, 5:19 am

Uzima watched him intently, head angled, her red eyes on him. The bird was strung like a tight wire, lacking any bit of fat, but she was remarkably calm. She didn't fluff up or preen like some pet birds did, but the Drykas might well have realized that despite the way Raiha stroked the goshawk, she was not a pet - the Akontak truly regarded the bird as a partner, just like he and Backlash. They created something through their synergy that went beyond what either of them was by themselves. When his hand finally fell, the bird's attention went back to Raiha, who had kept her arm remarkably still, calm and quiet in her own way, and like the horses, the bird picked up on that. But Raiha was proud of her - Uzima was normally nippy, not being prone to letting just anyone stroke her feathers... but Vanator had escaped unscathed. Perhaps he passed some test the bird had been giving him.

She nodded when he mentioned he knew someone that had read auras, and she grinned at him when he hastened to assure her that he didn't think she was weird. "If you spent enough time with me, I am sure you might change your mind in that regard," she admitted a bit ruefully. Between her and Kanikra... the two of them made for a proper headcase. It was hard enough to keep track of one when you knew that two were there, especially when Kanikra was in the mood to stir up something, or frustrate and harass her sister-soul. But for now, she seemed content to let Raiha talk with Vanator, studying the Drykas, still pondering about the Webbing. That was an unfortunate development. Finding a teacher for such a thing would prove difficult, but Kanikra was working it out. Where there was a will, there was a way.

Raiha was glad that he understood what she was talking about - Djed, Auristics. She had tried to put it in the easiest way for him to understand without treating him like a child, especially considering he was surely older than her. She owed him more respect than that, after all, and she was glad that her meaning came through. "Dealing with Ghosts and the Undead is its own magic. Oh, you can see the trails that ghosts leave with their Soulmist, and follow those with Auristics, but interacting with them is a world magic called Spiritism," she explained. She remembered it from her studies. "It is something I must learn. They have much to teach us when they find a willing pupil." She did not see a need to elaborate on why she needed to learn it - perhaps it was a fascination with magic on her behalf, maybe it was a need to be able to defend Sanctuary against them. One guess was as good as the other, truly told.

Her eyes searched his face when he asked her about his aura. She smiled faintly and shook her head, making the wisps of white, flyaway hair move, catching the wind that pulled at them. "Surprisingly, I have not. As I said... I believe in using magic responsibly. I believe more so in privacy," despite the faint smile, she was very, very serious. Either she was being honest, or she was very good at playing at it, but nothing she had said or done since he had met her had indicated the solemn Akontak as someone who toyed with others for fun. "My mother was very adept at seeing beyond what people said and how they truly felt, because that was her gift of sight granted to her by Avalis. But I am not. I observe. Always on the outside looking in," she looked off at the waves before looking at him once more. "As I said, I am only a novice - I have glanced, as when you use Auristics, you cannot pick and choose what auras you perceive. But to truly see, I must focus, truly focus, on your Aura. I would not without your permission. But if you are sure, I will look."

The bird glanced up at her words, and then turned her head to stare at Vanator as Raiha focused on the man's Aura, diving into it as easily as she could the water. Her expression hardly changed, but where her gaze had been far off at times, it was generally focused on him. Now, though, that she was examining his aura, sorting out the different colours, the threads that surrounded around him, following each in the complicated weave once you went below the surface, her eyes were looking through him, as if the blue-skinned female stared at his very soul. She was silent, then, as moments turned to chimes. The waves pounded the shore, but still, Raiha said nothing as she studied his aura, picking at what she knew she could decipher first. "You are 35 years of age," she began, her voice quiet, but confident. "You are healthy. No fevers, aches, or remaining pains from past injuries. There is residual tension in your neck, shoulders and hands. The beginnings of a stress headache, also faded, but there with the likelihood of strengthening," her voice sounded so far away to her own ears, but she didn't even think about it as she looked deeper.

She was quiet again, silent, unmoving, her golden eyes intense, focused, concentrating hard. "Web-walker. You are tied to the Web and to Backlash, and both of you to the web." She knew it sounded disjointed, but this was, for her, a play-by-play commentary. The next parts of his aura, the threads in the tapestry, as she liked to think of them, were even more complex and difficult. Emotions. Everyone had feelings, for the most part, but it was harder to pinpoint them. She could feel the different colours as she picked them apart, turning them over in her mind's eye. "Anger. Hurt. Pain. Rage," she picked out the ones that were the easiest for her to recognize, the strongest ones, even if they had faded somewhat since he had initially felt them. They were still there. "Confusion. Frustration." She breathed again, ignoring the pounding between her temples. "Sadness. Loneliness. Curiosity." Raiha paused, her face contorting slightly as she sniffed the air, much like a dog would taste the breeze. "Blood." She pronounced finally. "So much blood. I can smell it. I can taste it." She was neither surprised nor judgmental. Life was hard out here, away from the safe, quiet shores of Konti Isle. The Sea of Grass was a harsh mistress and a deadly environment that took as much as she wanted.

"You are running. You are always running," she heard the footfalls, the hoofbeats, felt them on the grass beneath her feet. "Always running..." she repeated as she felt along the thread, trying to figure out why. What did he run from? It would not show her - it slipped stubbornly through her fingers again and again, like water through a sieve, and she had no choice but to let it go, searching for the next filament. It would yield her nothing - these more complex aspects were well beyond her grasp. The goshawk's head whipped around, then, as she hissed, and raked her beak along Raiha's exposed arm. A red welt rose on her exposed blue skin. It made her lose her focus, this rush of pain, and it was just as well. Mages, especially novices, never knew when to stop. She blinked then, for the first time of what seemed like ages, and closed her eyes, breathing in and out before relaxing, losing some of the stiffness that had seized her, even as she mentally tapped her mark from Rak'keli, the welt fading and settling down before his eyes.

When her eyes opened a few moments later, she was steady on her pins again. "Make your stand," her voice was steady but quiet, the way it had been when she had spoken earlier in what had almost amounted to tongues as she had tried to impart on him advice and guidance as she saw it. "You must confront what haunts you. You must face it, or you will suffer more than you already do. Seek closure. Make your stand, Vanator of the Denusk Pavilion, because you will soon run out of ground to run on, and you will drown."
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Vanator on July 12th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Vanator's attention remained on the raptor resting contently on Raiha's forearm, only lifting his considerate eyes when the Akontak recited her short lesson on magic. She was well versed on the arts, or at least about them. He wondered if Kavala garnered such knowledge during her stay in Mura. Among the drykas, magic was a tool of survival, to create water and connect the clans and protect the camps. There was no place for motives such as power and knowledge among those in Endrykas who practiced enchantments. Looking at the curious woman, Van pondered her reasons for seeking magic. Raiha's features, endlessly youthful and both innocent and wise at the same time, revealed no hint of malice or power hunger. To Vanator, The Konti, the one's in Mura, seemed like a magical beings anyway, living and breathing it like air.

At the mention of undead and spiritism, Vanator's head swiveled back out towards the sea, trying to hide his discomfort. "I have no use for the undead. They should be left alone, and leave us alone. They are not natural." There was an awkward silence between the two, broken by a snort from Hiloha when she inhaled a puff of sand. Raiha stepped in smoothly, responding to his request about his aura. Looking again into her strange bright eyes, he detected no deception, and the drykas believed she had not attempted to read him with her magic. She agreed to do a reading, and with a tingle of excitement, Vanator stood still, his gaze remained fixed on the blue girls exotic eyes...and the gaze that seemed not to peer at him, but through him.

Human and Akontak stood as if frozen in time, the sea breeze tugging at their garments and lifting stray hairs as if to arouse them. As chimes passed, Vanator saw the golden gaze of the girl narrow with concentration, and discomfort. The monologue she recited was as if she could read his soul. The first few facts she could have surmised from their conversation, but as she progressed, deeper emotions, conflicts and truths even he had not recognized were given a soft, female voice. Vanator found it both revealing, amazing and unnerving. But he remained still, captivated in the Akontak's gaze.

Running, yes, he had run for years. Again, like a mirror, Raiha reflected back at Vanator truths that he had not wanted to face. The horseman now hung on the Akontak's every word, waiting for the revelation, seeing the strain in her face, the effort in her unblinking eyes. Then, as if desiring her to cease, the goshawk lashed out at Raiha's arm, tearing Vanator's darting gaze away. The tall, blue woman did not flinch at the scrape the bird left along her arm, simply blinking and inhaling deeply. When her eyes slid shut, Vanator looked at the red mark on the Akontak's skin. It faded before his eyes. Rak'keli.

This beautiful, strange woman was amazing. Her appearance could not have been timed better, as if the gods directed her to the beach to bolster him as he faced doubt and frustration. Vanator did not question why the young Akontak felt she had the right to advise him, even though she was surely a decade or more younger than he. There was no judgment in the smooth voice that lifted over the crashing waves. And the drykas was grateful for her honesty. It was time to live up to his name, Heir of the Denusk Pavilion. Tamar was gone. Hex, Dhanya, Khiara, they were all gone. He had married Kashik, and now could focus on the pavilion, preparing himself to step into his father's boots, and fathering his own heir with his new wife.

A broad but soft smile stretch across Vanator's face, and he held his hand out towards the beautiful Akontak. " Raiha of Riverfall, it has truly been my pleasure to meet you. It has been amazing and extraordinary. I am forever grateful for your honesty and advice. As much as I have enjoyed our time together, I have left my new bride beside herself and in tears, and I should find her and make amends."
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Raiha on August 7th, 2011, 7:28 pm

She disagreed with him about the dead. Ghosts were a natural phenomena. Undead, now... Undead she agreed with him entirely. They did not belong with them. By that vein, she supposed that one could say that ghosts didn’t belong either. But ghosts, Raiha felt, could not help what they were. Perhaps the undead couldn’t. But ghosts always had a reason for lingering, even if it was not always clear just what it was. But this was not the place for it.

Uzima, now satisfied that she had woken Raiha from going too far, preened as Raiha straightened, smiling faintly at the bird and at the Drykas man as he spoke, and nodded. “It was my pleasure to meet with you, Vanator Denusk of the Denusk Pavilion, Sapphire Clan,” she reached for his hand with the arm that did not have a goshawk perched on it, clasping his hand and squeezing briefly. “Remember. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams... it is still a beautiful world,” she looked down slightly, directly into his eyes. “Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.” She released him with a nod, leaving him to take that as he would, and the combination of young woman and bird headed for the city.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 8th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Character: Raiha
Experience: Meditation +1, Animal Husbandry +1, Falconry +5, Observation +1, Rhetoric +4, Interrogation +3, Teaching +3, Auristics +3
Lore:. Dealing with other people’s family issues. What Webbing is. The Dangers of Webbing. Distance Limitations in Webbing.

Character: Vanator
Experience: Observation +1, Interrogation +4, Rhetoric +4, Teaching +3
Lore:. What an Akontak is. Interacting with family who have differing opinions. That people can change with time and space. Explaining the web to a stranger. Having Auristics explained – What it is, how its done, why its used. Having an Akontak, child of the Gods, give her opinion of you.

Additional Note: Lovely thread. I really enjoyed reading it especially when Raiha went into ‘child of the gods’ mode at the end and gave her impressions of Vanator. I thought that was fabulous. I loved too Vanator’s polite caution in regards to the web.  Well done you two.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous