Closed [Nitrozian Estate] Interview (Valerius, please)

Crypt is hired by a Nitrozian.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Nitrozian Estate] Interview (Valerius, please)

Postby Crypt on October 14th, 2013, 2:02 pm

OOC NoteJob approved by Verilian.

1st of Fall, 513 AV (Noon)

The Nitrozian estate was... certainly large.

He had seen better, though, but it was one of the more impressive structures in Ravok. The Temple was the best, though. Shaking his head, as if to clear the irrelevant thoughts from his mind, Crypt decided to enter the estate through the open gates. It was time for business - although he loathed the idea of possibly sitting down with a member and talking (even if he could play the part), it was essential that he find a suitable means of obtaining mizas before his supply ran out.

There were notices informing people that the Nitrozian family was hiring retainers-cum-bodyguards after the fiasco that was the Nitrozian party in Spring, and Crypt had sent in an application (of sorts; it merely described what he could do). The response he received the day after was encouraging, and it instructed him to meet with a member of the Nitrozian family at the stroke of noon, six bells or so after the sun rose.

There was some mention of a small luncheon, but he was not hopeful of that.

The entrance hall he had walked into was exquisitely decorated, with tasteful paintings and sculptures set apart at a distance. Even as people walked by him - probably for business of some sort, or a personal visit -, Crypt was already feeling out of place in his grey, frayed jacket (patched up here and there with patches of a similar shade of grey) and simple outfit. The white linen gloves he held in one hand, unsure if he should be placing them on, while two swords in sheaths were strapped to either side of his waist, ready to be drawn at a moment's notice. A dagger in its sheath was strapped to his left leg, though it was hidden with a illusion that turned it invisible.

He made himself comfortable in one of the chintz couches located at the side of the entrance hall, awaiting the Nitrozian.

OOC Note :
Valerius, you may assume that Crypt, in his letter, has mentioned his skill in Auristics, the Longsword and both of his gnoses.

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on October 17th, 2013, 10:40 am

Somebody named Crypt had sent him a letter. Valerius had almost thrown it away when he had read the name because it sounded like a slightly morbid joke. But then he had decided to read it after all. The man was looking for a job with House Nitrozian, and it seemed as if he had a few useful skills to offer. After the assassination attempt on Sitanos Nitrozian, the head of the family, they were in dire need of a few more bodyguards.

It seemed as if this Crypt was a mage on top of his combat skills. Valerius had never particularly liked mages. It seemed as if they went insane more often than not, but the assassin that had tried to kill his grandfather had used some kind of magic. It would be good to have another mage on their side. The advantages outweighed the disadvantages in this case.

And thus Valerius had written a reply in which he asked Crypt to meet with him and sent a courier to the adress he had specified in his letter.

~~~~

The Nitrozian did not come to meet Crypt in the entrance hall. Instead a dark skinned girl of about nineteen that wore a white dress approached him and curtised before she informed him, „Master Valerius is waiting for you in the sitting room on the first floor. Please come with me.“

~~~~

The room to which the girl took him was as luxurious as the rest of the house, with a fireplace where a fire burned, soft carpets, a table made of dark wood and comfortable looking arm chairs. A man sat in one of the arm chairs, pale, with blue eyes and copper hair. He was dressed in an elegant black suit that looked as if it had cost a fortune and leather boots.

He did not rise as Crypt entered, but merely gestured for him to come closer. „Mister Insatem, I assume?“ he asked. His voice was polite, but a bit cool. He did not like the man’s appearance, those tattoos and that eye that looked like the opposite of a Druvin’s eyes, but he would not send him away, not yet. After his grandfather had almost died, he couldn’t send a man that might possibly have the right skills to make a difference away just because of his unfortunate appearance. „Please take a seat. You have written that you wish to work for my family. Tell me more about what you think you can offer House Nitrozian.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Crypt on October 20th, 2013, 3:12 pm

"Oh? Thank you."

The girl was good enough not to comment on the tattoos that had attracted much attention in the past. Crypt could catch several brief glances though; it was perhaps a tad annoying, but he couldn't simply remove the tattoos - or hide them for that matter. He was Drykas, and they were his Windmarks. Where would his pride be if he hid them from sight?

--------

A man it was - Valerius had a feminine touch to it, although Crypt supposed that it was masculine enough for the Nitrozian family.

"Yes, sir."

Crypt made a short bow after he moved closer to Valerius, taking a seat after doing so. The armchair was just as comfortable as the couch in the entrance hall, and he allowed himself a moment to luxuriate in the unfamiliar feeling before looking over the Nitrozian.

Dear me, his outfit looks terribly expensive. There's definitely no doubt that being a Nitrozian has its benefits. Perhaps I should have bought a set of clothes at Azure Reflections. I may have to, considering the... quality of this place.

He considered the query for a few moments, concocting an answer before making a reply in a voice as polite as Valerius'. No sense in inadvertedly insulting or offending the potential employer in an interview. That would not make a very good first impression.

Straight to business then. Excellent. No beating about the bush.

"I have heard rumors of the... attempted assassination. I have several skills - which I have mentioned in my letter to you, Mister Valerius - that could very well lend themselves to preventing such a thing from happening again.

First. I am able to defend myself and others with my longsword."

He gestured to the longsword on his left.

"I cannot hope to stop a master, but I believe I can occupy him long enough for reinforcements to arrive or for his intended target to escape. I cannot demonstrate my skill here, for it would be too confined, and I would most probably damage items, but if need be I can do so later.

Second. I am a mage. Of sorts. I do not use the more destructive magics, but I have some skill in Auristics, the Art of reading auras and extracting information from them. I can detect poisons whose properties are not automatically sensed. If, for example, a pumpkin pie contains poison, I can detect the agent by means of its taste, smell or by its aura, if I am familiar with it. If the poison is magical in nature, the easier it is to detect. It is, admittedly, not as effective as a food taster, though.

Another part of Auristics is sensing emotion. Strong emotions - animosity, hatred, anger - I can detect relatively quickly. Anyone with a grudge against the Nitrozians would feel such emotions, unless he or she were trained to conceal them, and I would recognise them for what they are and keep a watch on them.

Auristics allows me to detect any hidden presences and look through walls - but with some difficulty. Allow me to demonstrate."

Crypt closed his eyes, concentrating on mentally grasping his Djed. A switch in his brain was flipped, and he opened his eyes, turning his head to stare into the wall separating the room they were in from the next.

Ah. The wall is rather sturdy - high-quality. It will not fall easily. But that is unimportant.

The aura of the wall was dense enough that Crypt had difficulty looking through it to observe the auras beyond. Staring at it, he attempted to differentiate it from the other auras, blocking out the dark brown aura that kept telling him things - that the smell was one of paint, that the texture was generally smooth and so on.

He pushed onwards, noting the aura in its entirety once he had gained sufficient information about the wall, then ignoring it totally. It was more of a conceptual obstacle - he had to imagine that the wall was not there, that there was no actual obstacle. He knew much about the wall, and it helped him in negating it, ignoring its presence as he searched for the auras behind the wall.

Hmmph. There. We have it.

Two relatively massive auras were located at opposite parts of the room. That marked them as humans. The complexity - the iridescent auras, the nuances that marked bursts of emotion - only served to confirm his observation. As continued to focus on the twain, information began entering his mind.

Two humans. Forms indicate that they are female. Their hair... Identical shades of black. Wearing uniforms shaped like... Colored like... Aha. Maidservants. What is that object the first one is holding? The texture is soft, even ticklish, but it terminates at a blunt, but solid end. A featherduster, then. She is dusting a vase. And the other? Moving around the room. Dancing?

He ceased the flow of Djed, blinking his eyes to moisturize them.

"Two maids with black hair are in that room. One is cleaning a vase - a small vase - with a featherduster while the other is... I'm unsure. She's moving about the room, and it looks like she's dancing. Either that, or she's chasing something."

He paused for a moment, before continuing. Crypt held up his left palm to Valerius, allowing him to see the black scythe that marked him as one of Dira's.

"Dira's mark. Eiyon. It allows me to sense the presence of death on anything and anywhere I can access. Given the failure of the assassination, more skilled assassins may be sent. They are most probably experienced, and that means that they have shed blood. The more blood they spill, the more strongly I sense it. Coupled with my Auristics, I am uniquely suited to detection of assassins before they try anything."

He rolled up the sleeves on his left shoulder, exposing an inverted Sierpinski's triangle, each individual triangle's colour kaleidoscopic in nature, repeating the shape of the equilateral triangle over and over again.

"Ionu."

Crypt grinned widely, subconsciously channeling the spirit of the Trickster... God? Goddess? Thing.

"Illusions are my trade. Large-scale ones are but a dream for me now, but I can do some things."

In a blink of an eye, Crypt layered five illusions on himself and his immediate surroundings. One on his clothes, one on the upper parts of his body, one on his lower parts of his body, one on the shadow of his body caused by the fire, and the last on the chair itself, removing all trace of him having seated there.

His voice turned more guttural in nature, but alight with hints of mischief and laughter.

"Now you see me, now you don't."

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on October 24th, 2013, 10:20 am

„If you have only heard rumours of the attempted assassination of my grandfather I should tell you how it really happened so that there are no misconceptions“, Valerius decided. „The assassin came running into the dining hall that was full of people. He held a dagger and a vial with a green liquid in his hand. He cracked the vial, spilled its contents onto the dagger and hurled it across the room, towards my grandfather. And then he disappeared, only to reappear a moment later near the door. To this day I don’t know how he did it. Maybe you can help me?“

As Crypt boasted about his skill with the longsword, the Nitrozian furrowed his brow, as if he wasn’t entirely willing to believe him. The man was a bit too self confident! „If I decide to hire you, a duel with one of the guards can be arranged“, he remarked curtly before he listened to Crypt as he said more about his magic skills. „If you had been present at the party, could you have identified the substance that the assassin had coated his dagger with?“ he wanted to know. The tone of his voice, the entire way he acted was carefully neutral. A man that could sense emotions would be useful, but at the same time that ability made him uncomfortable. He could not help but wonder if Crypt had a way of finding out his, Valerius‘, most secret emotions, and thus he decided to try and not show any while he was in Crypt’s presence.

With his statement that he could also look through walls, the mage definitely had his attention though. Valerius sat a little straighter and turned his head towards Crypt as he did … whatever it was that he did. „You could really see the maids?“ he asked afterwards. He was about to leave the room to check if there were really two maids on the other side of the wall when Crypt showed him his marks. „You have been blessed by the gods twice“, he observed. He wasn’t sure how he was supposed to feel about that. To him Rhysol was the most important god of all, but could Rhysol do such things?

„Indeed, I don’t see you“, he remarked, trying to hide the fact that he was just a bit surprised. „Could you please make yourself visible again? I find it a bit strange to talk to an invisible person.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Crypt on October 26th, 2013, 3:44 pm

"Curious. One wonders why he didn't simply poison the dagger beforehand - perhaps he was using a rather volatile liquid. I don't know of anything that could do that, but it is most possibly magic - perhaps something to do with Voiding?"

The furrowed brow was noted.

Maybe I might have said too much. After all, I didn't say that I would most likely be dead if I were to face someone that skilled.

"If I was actively looking out for something like that, I may have been able to identify it before the assassin struck. I believe that there are methods of cloaking auras though, and if the assassin was able to transport himself instantaneously like you mentioned, then I wouldn't be able to do much. I am not an expert in poisons, and hence I won't be able to determine what poison it is unless I can compare it to samples."

Valerius appeared to be carefully controlling every aspect of his body language, but reacted once Crypt spoke about seeing through walls. Sure, it took time to actually do so, but this was a major improvement over not being able to see.

Crypt deactivated the illusions at Valerius' request, reappearing in the same chair.

"My apologies then. Dira marked me after my Strider died, and Ionu marked me after an incident in Alvadas. My... main patron goddess and god... goddess... Well, Ionu's a Thing. Perhaps their influence complements each other. A duality, if you will. Solemnity and ecstasy."

He shifted in his seat, finding a more comfortable position, forcing himself to return to his calm state of mind. After experiencing the Field of Dreams, his emotions had been more unrestrained since then. Restraint was most important now.

"Is there anything else you wish for me to speak about?"

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on October 30th, 2013, 8:22 am

„I don’t know why the assassin did what he did“, Valerius replied. „You mentioned Voiding though, Mister Insatem. I had … some contact with mages while I attended the University of Zeltiva, but I can’t claim to be an expert. What makes you think that the assassin might have practiced that particular kind of magic?“

In truth Valerius had not only had „some contact“ with mages, he had studied the theory of magic, in an academic manner, a strange decision for somebody that was so deeply susicious of mages. But then again, it was better to know those that you didn’t trust, wasn’t it?

„And how do you cloak your aura?“

Valerius was relieved as Crypt deactivated the illusion. He was not used to being around people with such a gift, even though he tried to hide it. „You mentioned the death of your Strider“, he remarked. „Are you a … Drykas? I’ve heard of a people by that name that lives in close company with their horses, but I’ve never met one of them in person.“

While Crypt sat comfortably, the Nitrozian sat with his back completely straight. To him good manners were more important than comfort. As Crypt asked him whether he wished him to speak about anything else, Valerius nodded. „There is one question that I would like you to answer. You mentioned being a follower of Dira and Ionu. You have probably noticed that Rhysol is the patron god of Ravok. What do you think of him?“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Crypt on October 30th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Crypt shrugged before replying.

"I know that Voiding can create portals to another place, but I'm unsure about everything else. Perhaps the assassin prepared something - maybe even using Glyphing - beforehand, and used it to escape. I cannot do it myself, but I have encountered people in Alvadas who manipulated their auras as easily as if it were breathing. It was thus reasonable to make an inference that they could hide it at will, or at least make it appear insignificant."

After Valerius asked about his race, Crypt rolled his sleeves up, showing the Nitrozian his windmarks.

"He died in the Bronze Woods near Syliras due to my own overconfidence. I am a Drykas, and these tattoos you see are my windmarks - every Drykas that has had a Strider bonded to him or her have these tattoos, though most are not as elaborate as mine are."

The mention of Syliras, the city reviled by many in Ravok, was deliberate. Crypt wanted to see if Valerius would respond to it.

"The people of Ravok proclaim him to be a most generous God, one who protects them from nature's wrath. He can do no wrong in their eyes. Sylirans say different things. They say that he is Evil and Chaos, that he aims to rule all Mizahar and despoil all that is good. As for me? I will not judge him. I have seen Syliran Knights treat innocents badly on the basis of their race. I have seen the Ebonstryfe deal with slaves with far more violence than I would have used. Both are representatives of either side, and I have found them lacking.

Power is one of the things I respect, and Rhysol has immense power. For that reason alone I shall respect him, and not work against him unless Dira or Ionu tell me to. I refuse to submit to an extreme view of him - whether good or bad - but you will hear no words from me that blaspheme against him."

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 1st, 2013, 3:43 pm

„Can you use Voiding to travel from one place within Ravok to another then?“ Valerius wanted to know. „The kinds of magic I am most familiar with are Animation and Reimancy, but I know little about Voiding or manipulating auras. Who are those people in Alvadas you mentioned? Do you think there is any chance of finding similarly skilled people in Ravok or Zeltiva?“ If there was any chance at finding out what had happened to his grandfather and preventing another catastrophe, he decided, he would travel across Mizahar and even associate with people that he usually hated.

It would be worth it. His grandfather might begin to favour him over his numerous cousins, and maybe even Rhysol himself would finally pay attention to him. So far nothing he had done seemed to have made a difference, to anybody in Ravok.

As Crypt mentioned that his Strider had died in the Bronze Woods, the Nitrozian arched an eyebrow. „Both Syliras and Ravok are unusual places for one of your kind to be“, he remarked. „Don’t you normally live far from here, in a vast grassland? What is a man like you doing here, in a place where there is hardly any room for horses, where the streets are plastered, and boats are the most common form of transport?“

„I hope you don’t mind the question“,
he added. It was better to be at least slightly polite to a mage who could without a doubt kill him within the blink of an eye – even if he did not worship Rhysol. „As for what the people in Syliras think of my god, people always say that their opponents and the god they worship are evil. It is human nature. I only know that Ravok flourishes, that the weather is always pleasant here, even in winter and that we have to suffer neither hunger nor thirst. Would a chaotic being let his followers live like that?“

„Your view is acceptable. It’s good that you respect Rhysol’s power. For as long as you work for House Nitrozian, I will do the same and respect Dira and Ionu as they have the potential of making my family’s life a little safer.“
Valerius normally wasn’t so tolerant. In fact, he had often insulted people that prayed to other gods, he had threatened them with the Ebonstryfe and the Black Sun, but Crypt was useful, more than useful. Acting like a religious zealot would not be beneficial in this situation. Valerius was intelligent enough to be aware of that.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Crypt on November 8th, 2013, 1:40 pm

OOC Note :
Apologies for not posting. Also, Abstract has PMed me to say that Crypt's pay will be 6GM/day!

"I don't know. It might very well be possible. I can't say much about those people in Alvadas, since those people belong to families there in the darkest depths of Ionu's city. They can be more dangerous and mysterious than Ravok's families. There is a chance of finding such talents, but I believe one must be a master of Auristics to gain access to such a skill."

He fell silent after speaking of the families. His experiences with them were unpleasant, to say the least. His very first meeting with the head of one had resulted in him spending the night - if there ever was a night in the Streets Below - in the Sealed Grounds. At least his mark had carried him through the throngs of ghosts there.

"Wanderlust. We Drykas travel around the Sea of Grass in our city, but it becomes monotonous after many seasons of that, even though we face Zith and Glassbeak attacks intermittently. We sometimes struggle, but even that grows old. I wish to see the world. And I have - after a fashion. I have seen most of Sylira, and Eyktol holds no interest for me. Kalea I have seen part of, but it is Lhavit that I may visit one day when the desire strikes me. My Strider is dead, and so I have no need to limit myself to places where there is adequate space for horses. Syliras itself is too confined, though the Knights do use horses."

He nodded as Valerian made his assertion about his Gods. That was uncalled for, but nonetheless it would make things easier.

"I do not mind it. It is... refreshing, after a fashion, to speak my thoughts on that subject. As for allowing his followers to live in peace and with sufficient amounts of life's little necessities... One could use that to create more chaos. But let us not dwell on that matter. It is Rhysol's will, after all. And we may never know it. Thank you for respecting them.

Now, let us move on to monetary matters. I have no need for accommodation, as I am living in one of your own cubicles, although an improvement in the quality would be welcome. But what of remuneration then?"

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 15th, 2013, 7:22 am

„You claim that those families in Alvadas can be more dangerous than the great families of Ravok? I can not believe that“, Valerius remarked. „Among the members of my family are several Chaon, and the other families count even Druvin among their members. What could possible be more dangerous than that? Tell me, Mister Insatem. I would very much like to hear more about Ionu’s city, even though it doesn’t entirely make sense to me.“

„Wanderlust“,
he repeated and nodded. „I understand that reason.“ When he had been younger the Nitrozian had felt something akin to wanderlust himself. He had gone to Zeltiva to study and occasionally still dreamed of visiting Sahova, Nyka or even faraway Mura, despite the duties he had to his family now. There were so many things he had not seen yet. „Mizahar is a fascinating place, despite the dangers that seem to lurk at every corner, isn’t it?“

As Crypt thanked him for respecting his views, the Nitrozian nodded. He agreed that it would be better not to dwell on that matter of religion as there would inevitably be misunderstandings and differences. It seemed as if Mister Insatem was interested in the financial side of things now.

„My family is willing to pay you the sum of six golden mizas per day“, he informed him. „If you do your work well and keep my grandfather safe from harm, a raise is possible. Is that acceptable, Mister Insatem?“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes