PM to join [The Anthonius Fighter's Pit] Axe-ing for Help

Shane takes advantage of the free Axe and Shield training Gerard Anthonius offers at the Pit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Anthonius Fighter's Pit] Axe-ing for Help

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 28th, 2013, 10:30 am

Timestamp: 45th Day of Fall 513AV (13th Bell)

Working some kind of miracle magic Shane had somehow managed to get fully paid afternoon off. Perhaps it had something to do with him having not taking any days off or being late at all yet which seemed like something Avira would not like. Timekeeping and routine seemed to keep the old man happy. Shane supposed it was good business practice and business seemed to be all old Avira seemed to have.

The young man had requested the afternoon off because he had heard that Gerard Athonius was offering free combat training. Axe and shields or so he had heard. Shane was no squire of course and he doubted he'd ever make the cut but free lessons were too good to pass up. Knowledge is Power as Brun wrote and Shane never knew when at least a little skill in the shield or axe would come in handy. he might even find out he had an innate talent for it!

It wasn't really the best day out. It was pretty cloudy but not too chilly. Shane felt comfortable in his coat; not too hot but not cold either. He had a feeling this would perhaps change when he got into it.

There was a few others there for the training and a couple doing their own thing as was the norm. It seemed even with slightly warmer temperatures nobody people didn't really want to step outside. After the Djed Storm Shane had noticed a marked increase in superstitious fear toward weather no matter how normal it was. If it wasn't moderately temperate someone probably thought they were all going to die.

“Ah, another one for the training. C'mere, lad, don't be shy.” Gerard called out to Shane as he approached. Shane had seen Gerard a few times in passing and had certainly heard of the ex-squire. Shane almost admired the man's tenacity. He was going against a pillar of success and he might not have been succeeding but he wasn't failing either. It was people like him that built new pillars and demolished old ones: That was how a society progressed or so Brun wrote.

Shane approached the man the slightest hint of hesitation in his actions. He'd never done anything like this before and he had to say he was somewhat nervous about it. “Good Afternoon, Sir.” Shane stated respectfully. The man was neither a Knight, a Nobleman or of much wealth so he did not receive the customary bow Shane might have observed for the other three.

What he gave, however, still seemed to be too much for the man who frowned and declared “I'm no Sir, lad, and it would do you good to know who your peers are. In my pit your only master is your own determination. You got determination?”Gerard asked, almost accusingly, of Shane.

Shane nodded gravely. He did. Without determination; without the willingness to spill his own sweat for what he wanted he couldn't get anywhere. He was a failure which meant his whole life had to be dedicated to the strenuous climbing of the social ladder. Power could be his as long as he had the determination to grasp it and never let go.

“Well go get an ax then.” Gerard jerked a thumb to the weapon rack. “I'd suggest a nice one handed war axe. More suited to an athletic build.”

“Okay...” Shane turned to go get the weapon before he remembered something “Aren't we getting shield training too?”

“One thing at a time, lad, one thing at a time.”
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Bolivar on October 28th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Training is a squire's true job despite jabs of his as a personal assistant to their patron knight. Cleaning the stables and shoveling? No, that was a common mistake on what a squire did. Granted if they were asked to do so the squire is obligated to give a hand with whatever the patron asks of them. Though training took up the majority of a squire's life, especially newer ones that have yet to swing a blade.

So it came as a surprise when Bolivar was asked to attend a training session in the city's fighter pit. Both training and a request packed together. Apparently Ser Theron had a different sense of humor then the squire as he grudgingly found himself in the pit bright and early.

The normally shabby fighting pit was more dilapidated then usual given the season's rain but it looked like Bolivar was there to stay. Picking out a larger axe from the weapon's rack Bolivar gave the new weapon a few practice swings before running his eyes down the weapon's length.

"A dull blade but heavy. This makes for good practice."

The surprises didn't end that morning. The man who ran the Anthonius Fighter's Pit, Gerard Anthonius, seemed to talk Bolivar's language. Though practicing the knight's virtues Bolivar still found the way Gerard spoke to them much more appealing then the straightlaced words the knights above him used.

Practicing a few swings and given a few pointers all the while, Bolivar got himself working a decent sweat when some new people arrived come noon. This one that took a place beside him the squire didn't expect much. Shrugging slightly Bolivar reminisced for a moment on how to act before greeting the newcomer.

"Hail stranger. Name's Bolivar. Be sure to try and keep up. You'll understand if you make it to the end of the day here."
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Got some Christmas plans. So going to be busy until around after the holidays.
Bolivar
Just go with it

Words: 299487
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2011, 2:06 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 29th, 2013, 7:53 pm

When Shane found himself in front of the axes he found himself with a sudden case of 'I don't know which axe to pick'. It was then he remembered the counsel of Gerard Anthonius and picked up the axe that he thought best described what he had suggested.

The axe was surprisingly heavy for it's size. It was pretty battered too but none of that mattered to Shane. Just holding the weapon in his hand felt like holding all of life and death in his hand. He felt like a great and mighty warrior just wielding it. He swung the axe around in inexperienced whacks and cuts taking down imaginary foes. Until he dropped the axe of course. Luckily no one was near enough to get hit by it at least. He collected it sheepishly and went over to where the rest of the people seemed to be practising.

Hail stranger. Name's Bolivar.

Shane turned somewhat to see the man who addressed him. “Hail.” He replied politely. “I'm Shane.” He opted not to focus on his aura since that would only serve to tire him out. Obviously not a good idea considering the exercise he was about to be doing.

Be sure to try and keep up. You'll understand if you make it to the end of the day here.

Shane wasn't exactly sure how to take that. It sounded like he was calling him slow and dense. The man looked like a good enough sort though. Perhaps he was just a little bit arrogant or trying to give him some sort of encouragement. Someone to keep up with to give him extra enthusiasm.

“I'll make sure to though I've never used a weapon before.” Shane admitted to the man letting the axe he was using hang limply in his hand while he talked. “Have you ever used an axe before? Not for cutting wood I mean though I've never done that eith- woops!” He exclaimed as the axe fell out of his limp hand on to the dirt below. Shane exhaled sharply and picked the axe back up muttering “Ugh, that's twice now.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bolivar on October 30th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Never held a weapon?

Bolivar shrugged slightly as his eyes looked at the axe in Shane's hand.

It must be quite heavy for him if it was his first time holding one.

More so the thought of holding an actual weapon then it's weight made it heavy. Like comparing the weight of a wooden practice sword with a iron blade.

Then Shane said something rather naive that made the mixed blood chuckle. Bringing his greataxe up quickly before swinging down Bolivar mimed the movements of someone chopping wood in half. Bolivar had his feet set apart his spacing decent and put just enough into the strike to get the job done.

Quietly watching as Shane picked up the axe once more Bolivar gave the younger man a knowing look.

"Cutting down a man, a man's shield and a tree. It is all the same with an axe. The same motion, the same result if the area you hit is as soft as wood."

The comment on of him dropping his axe caused the squire to pause as he considered what to say to that.

"Don't put too much into those swings of yours Shane. Your still much to young to try and kill another man. If you swing with all your might against another, it will only bind you."

Speaking from experience Bolivar shrugged slightly before listening to Gerard's three methods of hitting with an axe. Swipe, poke and hook. Basics for the squire but did it also apply to a one handed axe as well? Bolivar turned to Shane inviting his attack.

"Come. Let's try and see if you understand."
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Shane Wallsly on November 3rd, 2013, 12:17 pm

It was clear Bolivar knew a great deal about the axe. The way he moved. The power behind the strike. It was something to see and Shane was immediately envious of his skill. Why the man was almost good enough to be a squire. Almost or he wouldn't be here. He'd be at the Knight's training grounds laying in to straw dummies and getting personal lessons from the awe-inspiring might of the Knights themselves. Gerard was almost as good as a Knight too. He'd almost been one so they say. Shane was content with almost. It was further than he was ever going to get to becoming a Knight (or even a squire).

'[i]Swing light. Power equals binding... Um, I guess he means binding in that if I swing too hard I can't stop. If that happens and my opponent moves he'll be able to hit me I guess.' Shane listened to the man's advice and tried to keep it in his head. It made sense but he wanted to ask what he meant by bind when Gerard cleared his throat and began to show the group some basics.

The man talked fast but what he showed seemed easy enough. Swipe or slash; a sort of across the way cutting action. Poke or jab; that was like just hitting head on. Finally hook which was like jabbing forward but bringing the axe back quickly to cut your opponent.

Bolivar wrote:
"Come. Let's try and see if you understand."

Shane frowned. “You want me to hit you?” Shane asked incredulously. He supposed this was how people usually trained but didn't this come after they learned the basic forms? Shane sort of stepped forward raising the axe in one hand. It felt silly to use just one hand when nothing was in his other one. He supposed this was where a shield might go or something.

He swung his axe down vertically at his opponent but he drew it up short. So short Bolivar wouldn't even have blocked it yet. It didn't feel right going to hit another person that had did nothing to him. Then again he would hypnotise someone like that. That was an experiment. That was what made him better. This was the same just with an axe rather than hypnotism. Even better the other person was consenting.

“Sorry.” Shane apologised for his pulled back swing and tried again coming in for a vertical swipe from shoulder to waist.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bolivar on November 4th, 2013, 4:25 pm

That could have came off as mildly insulting. Maybe if they were at Sultros but this was in fact Syliras, Bolivar would have to accept this and move on.

"Of course. I do know a thing or two about this fighting thing. I think I can manage."

Getting himself into a decent tempo Bolivar watched as Shane's axe came up short. Shifting his weight on the back leg Bolivar readied himself for an awkward poke or swipe from under the squire. Not really reading Shane's mood Bolivar frowned as the boy apologized for whatever reason. This was going nowhere, there was no follow-up, no real intention from Shane. Yet.

The vertical swipe was withdraw and Shane went for a swipe, alright here it was. Drawing his great axe Bolivar kicked at the offending arm to stop the strike. Following slowly but with very apparent intent Bolivar sent out a slow, concise swipe at Shane. Meant to show him the proper seqence of how to strike, Bolivar's axe came in at an angle which made it hard for Shane to avoid. Aiming at center mass Bolivar's attack moved slowly and surely to it's designated point.

"Not the arms, the power comes from turning your hips into the strike."

Stepping into Shane's range he spoke slightly above a whisper to prove a point.

"Get in close so your axe hand doesn't get knocked away. Keep your arms close to your body"

Now practicing the maneuver with only his right hand to represent the weapon Shane was using, Bolivar's elbow sat at waist height before turning his waist and pushing out his arm. Same sweet spot, same slow movement Bolivar watched Shane intently seeing if the words reached him.

"Poke is next. Get yourself in the mood."

Pressing the axe hilt into Shane's chest, Bolivar let it rest for a moment before shoving his opponent back. Getting his usual resting position Bolivar waited with apt anticipation.

"By the end of this day when you do something foolish I will put you down. By then you'll say something along the lines of a thank you. Until then I'll keep on until you understand."
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Shane Wallsly on December 31st, 2013, 9:44 am

There was something manly about all of this. Something that called to some deep spirit Shane believed lay in the hearts of all men. When Bolivar kicked him it didn't hurt so much. In fact it felt naturally right. Shane admired that. In his mind eye he had not perceived the addition of full body into combat. He'd always imagined axe against axe, sword against shield, weapon vs weapon but it seemed almost inherent that the full body go into the attack. Kick to draw his weapon away and axe in from the other side. If this were a ral fight Shane was now dead. He had no doubt this man would have taken his life in a real battlefield either. The man was clearly a professional warrior of some kind.

Somewhere in all this Shane's eyes seemed to narrow. He seemed to focus. The words his teacher spoke to him seemed to trickle into his mind. He studied the movement of the arm as Bolivar showed him what to do.

He was disorientated for a moment as the man pushed him back but he soon found his peace again. Poke... Poke... Shane readied the heavy axe trying to maintain a proper grip. Those swings hadn't been too kid on his mostly frail arms. He'd never really been involved in any kind of training of the body before. In fact the only thing his body had went through in previous years was malnutrition and , in certain times, illness. For now he wasn't ill or malnourished but his fitness was not as keen as any warriors.

He wasn't quite sure of poke. Was it just a forward strike? Shane's 'focus' seemed to drain away the moment he needed it most. As he tried to remember what he had been shown. Was it like poking someone with your hand? What bit of the axe did you poke someone with? Surely a poke couldn't really do any damage that way.

“Could you um, show me the poke again please?” Shane asked nervously afraid he would upset his instructor. “I can't really seem to remember what to do.”

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bolivar on January 2nd, 2014, 4:24 pm

Did a simple question count as something foolish? Baring his teeth slightly the squire found himself taking a deep breathe despite how much he wanted to pommel Shane for that.

"You can't remember? Gerard just showed you."

Bolivar did not quite understand the sudden dependence placed on him. Nor would he care to humor such misguided intentions. Just from the few moments they talked Bolivar did not see anything of merit coming from the boy.

Perhaps touched in the head when it came to drill. Not everyone is suitable for the warrior's path, even more so when it comes to the knight's path.

The knight's path was still a question in Bolivar's life. There could possibly be something learnt from Gerard's session beside martial prowess. An ever reoccurring problem with the aspiring squire since he had came into contact with the lovely citizens of Syliras in particular.

Patience.

"I thought I told you pay attention before he even started. Busy ignoring me?"

Turning back it looked like Shane was in luck. Gerard was still leading the group with the basic poke, going down the line doing a quick evaluation of some of the newer faces. A quick look over at Bolivar and Gerard quickly moved on. Looking straight at Shane expectantly Gerard face quickly turned into a grimace as he spurred the book keeper to action.

"What are you waiting for? Show me what you got!"

A quick few movements from Gerard and Shane would find himself hard pressed to not mess up such a simple technique. A quick example from Gerard showed a few masterful shifts in direction as the poke was revealed. Throwing a quick few chops with his axe Gerard mixed in a few pokes with no discernible patten. Done in a straight line, overhead pressing downwards after retracting a chop, underhandedly with a few tricky angles thrown in. Granted it would be easy to avoid or otherwise read such a strike but the key was in the variations and uncertainty of it all.

"Don't make me repeat myself again boy. Alright. Find yourselves a buddy to practice this on."

oocYou can just infer I'll accept if you approach me of course.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on February 21st, 2014, 3:37 am

Shane
+1 Observation
+1 Weapon: Waraxe

lore :
One Day Only: Free Training at the Fighter's Pity
Axe: The power comes from the hips
Bolivar: Axe-man

Notes
Sorry to see this get cut short. PM me with questions/comments. Please edit the request queue to refect this grade. :)

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)