Closed Lily in the Devil's Garden

Just your every day, run-of-the-mill mugging.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Lily in the Devil's Garden

Postby Naeya on November 30th, 2013, 9:51 pm

This is exactly why Sunberth needs a set of governing laws, Naeya decided, some time between when the beggar lunged and when Daedalus plunged his rapier into the beggar's shoulder.

She was certain that when cities had the proper rules in place, they could very easily avoid situations like the one she and Daedalus had found themselves in. Riverfall had flourished under the laws that guided its citizens, and homelessness was such a long way from being a problem that Naeya hadn't even realized it could be a problem until she'd left home. The existence of vagrants in Sunberth was a symptom of far greater illnesses: lawlessness, selfishness, and greed.

That said, an absence of laws did not give one permission to threaten the lives of others without just cause. She had given the man his chance, his opportunity to back down, but he had refused. And so, as Daedalus thrusted his rapier forward and stabbed the beggar in the shoulder to deter his strike, the young konti didn't twitch a finger to stop him.

Not until Daedalus twisted his sword to worsen the wound.

"Dae!" Naeya's eyes filled with shock at the maliciousness of his action, and her pained expression came close to matching that of the beggar's. She reached out to touch Daedalus' shoulder, as if her touch might persuade him to ease his assault. "Daedalus, don't..." she whispered. From her position she was unable to see his face or the intent to kill that was written all over it, but there was an air of ruthlessness about him that she could not ignore.

The beggar dropped to his knees next to the fallen dagger, keeping his eyes on Daedalus even as his hands shook and his face whitened. His expression was defiant, and he began to mumble a prayer - his death song to Dira.

"Daedalus."

Naeya's voice was firm, even as the hammering in her head began anew. "Leave him and let's go. Please? It was my fault... I provoked him. I didn't know; I'm sorry." She directed her apology to both the metalsmith and the beggar as she stepped to Daedalus' side. "Please, Dae. I don't want any more blood to be shed."

She moved a hand to lightly brush his arm.

"It's been a really long day, and I'd like to go home. Will you take me home?"
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

Postby Daedalus Dagwood on December 13th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Naeya's words compered a simple musing into his mind which lingered after its introduction, a thought which was was far to small to be taken seriously. Yet, there was a moment of considerable contemplation as his eyes stoically stared down at the homeless man. He was trying; he really was, but there was an apparent lack of empathy which made it difficult for Daedalus to empathize with the beggar. His hand steadily held his rapier to keep the slim blade from shifting any deeper into the Beggars shoulder. There was a sudden sensation that mimicked a shiver which ran up his spine that effectively broke through his apathy. The sensation wasn't caused by any cold chill, or swift wind, but from the Konti woman's touch.

Daedalus retracted the blade only to point the rapier's blade directly at the mans face. He moved the blade so that it rapt against the mans throat to allow the tip to dig just enough into skin so that the mans throat began to emit small droplets of blood. "Enough, Save your words. Dira is not your savoir today." His hand fell causing his rapier to move away from the man throat. It appeared as though Naeya's words had convinced Daedalus to retreat. However, his foot lashed forward so that his boot heel slammed directly into the Beggars shoulder wound to knock him down to the ground onto his back.

The man screamed in pain as he gripped his arm. The Daedalus reached down to pick up the beggars dagger. "This woman saved your life today. You owe her your praise, but I will take this as payment for wasting my time." He flicked the small trace of blood on his rapier away before sheathing it within its scabbard. He held the dagger in his free hand in an attack position while still looking at the beggar. "Enjoy your visit to Doctor Petricious." A smirk grew on his lips as the Beggar suddenly glanced down at his wound with a look of horror. The man looked at his wound as if it were only a small scratch rather than the bloody gaping mess that it was.

Daedalus turned back to Naeya with his left arm held out for her to hold again, the same arm which held the dagger. "Shall we be on our way?" His golden brown hazel eyes locking with Naeya's emerald eyes while his smirk remained on his lips.

His feet already began to move forward to continue down the path without needing to listen to her response.

Grader NoteLoot Request: 1 Dagger
Daedalus Dagwood
Endless Possibilities

Words: 157286
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2013, 8:38 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Naeya on December 20th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Time slowed as Naeya watched Daedalus hold his rapier to the beggar’s throat. Her chest seized and her breathing stilled, and she prepared herself for Dae to kill the man right then and there. She desperately wanted to believe that he, the metalsmith who had offered her such uncommon kindness in Sunberth’s darkened alleys, was merciful, but she couldn’t presume to know his mind. They’d only spoken for less than a bell, after all, and she had yet to peruse his chavi.

But even as droplets of blood trickled down the beggar’s neck, it became apparent that Daedalus had been swayed – or perhaps he had never intended to kill the man, after all. Naeya released a hesitant breath and dropped her hand from her companion’s arm, just a moment too soon. As her hand fell, Dae’s foot struck the beggar’s shoulder and an agonized cry pierced the still autumn air.

The konti shut her eyes and turned away from the fallen man. A motley stew of pain, approval and shame washed over her, and she felt the guilt of her complicity tighten her abdomen. She didn’t deserve praise. What had she given the beggar, if not a slow death? How could he possibly afford a doctor to heal the cavernous wound on his shoulder? Any fool could see it would become infected and rot his arm, if he didn’t die first.

Rak’keli help him.

He may not have been a good man, but he didn’t deserve to die.

Filled with self-loathing, Naeya was slow to respond to Daedalus as he offered her his arm. Her eyes locked with his, and she searched them for a hint of the remorse that was reflected in her own gaze. As he began to walk away, smirk in place, she lingered for a moment and willed herself to give one last glance to their fallen attacker. He was a pathetic sight: dagger-less, bleeding, and barely clothed. All remaining shreds of defiance had disappeared from his face. He was harmless.

Helpless.

Naeya tore her gaze away and broke into a short jog to catch up with her Sunberthian guide. She grasped his left arm, tighter this time, and walked beside him in silence, shaken by the day’s events and too overwhelmed to speak. The conflicting images of Daedalus leaning over her in concern and twisting his rapier in the beggar’s shoulder played on a loop in her mind. He had frightened her with his viciousness, but he was the only soul she knew in the city and she couldn’t blame him for his actions. He’d protected them both.

“I’m so sorry…” she said quietly. “I didn’t know he would…”

She trailed off, studiously avoiding the metalsmith’s eyes.
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

Previous