Solo [The Sanctuary] Chasing The Sun (Part 1)

Kavala decides a new Solarium is in order.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Sanctuary] Chasing The Sun (Part 1)

Postby Kavala on November 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Timestamp: Early Fall, 513 AV

Now that Caelum was back in Riverfall for an extended period of time, Kavala wanted her fellow healer to feel comfortable. She knew the Eth might very well be utterly miserable below ground. Even though he didn’t mention it, she suspected the weight of the stone over him separating him from Syna’s light would be crushing if he had to spend an extended period of time below. To that end, Kavala had no idea how to solve the problem this posed. Literally every square inch of the facility was planned above. Even places where there were no buildings yet had designs on what would be there. When Kavala strolled across the stone sidewalks that linked the buildings, she literally saw in her mind the rising Healer’s College and the dorms that would be there. She saw the pool that had yet to be dug and the meeting hall and orangery that she wanted to put in. And like promises given to the future, each part and parcel had stakes stuck in the ground, carefully labeled and in some cases roped off. So where would Caelum be happy? Kavala had to give it a good long rumination.

Which was a good thing; honestly, since Kavala had a cow she was walking, and probably would be for bells. It wasn’t an extraordinary cow, by any means, but it was a beloved pet of a widowed elderly Konti. And as such, she wasn’t allowed to die. She wasn’t allowed to suffer. Kavala had to make the cow better. And to that end, they were walking her. Well, more accurately said, it would be that Kavala was walking her. The cow was reluctant, so it was more of a tug of war than an actual walk. The cow was belly deep in colic and Kavala had poured about two gallons of mineral oil into her stomach to try and lubricate her intestines. Now there were lots of reasons for colic in cows. Namely they lay down, got their guts twisted, and it took them time to untwist. If the cow had a good roll, that would help, but the cow wasn’t about to roll. Instead, she was bellowing and hollering and protesting this walk. And there was nothing really Kavala could do to get her to comply other than urge her along and occasionally use a switch. Bessy, as the widow called the cow, was sweating profusely, but the oil was starting to work. She definitely was gassy, and fairly soon Kavala was confident that her gut would start making noises that would indicate explosive cow pies were forthcoming. That is, if the oil was able to lubricate everything up and the walking got the gut untwisted.

Kavala sincerely hoped it would help. Because without this working the next step was surgery, and Kavala just didn’t want to do that to the cow. She was an old milk cow, long past the point she gave milk, and wouldn’t fare well in the surgery. If worse came to worse, they’d have to put her down and then Kavala would send a dairy calf home with the widow. It would help, but it wouldn’t totally ease the feelings the woman would have of loss. And The Gods knew the widow was already too full of loss to add anything more to her burden.

Meanwhile, to distract herself from the veritable fountain that was now periodically erupting from the cow, Kavala looked around. Everywhere she walked the girl in the pasture; there would most likely be a rich swatch of grass in the spring where the cow had fertilized. And the smell… the Konti coughed a bit, tried to ignore her aching feet, and kept walking. She was too fat to do this… to heavy with Riaris’ child, but no one else was home.

Azure eyes looked around, trying to see the facility she’d built from eyes other than her own. An Eth…where would one be happy? They loved the sun, and had to be close to it, especially those that followed Syna like Caelum did. He’d have to be high, so definitely a second story structure. And he’d have to be mostly open to the sun. Kavala squinted and scanned the facility, but her eyes kept coming back to the Healing Clinic. It was centralized. It could potentially overlook the arena, the pool, and later when it was built, the healing college. Kavala’s eyes held the clinics form and wondered. She knew the internal structure was by far sturdy enough to hold up a second story, especially something artistic she had planned rather than something ugly and square. The Konti kept walking the cow and kept thinking, mulling the problem over and over in her head. She’d put a stairway up one end of the clinic, perhaps on the pool side. On the other side she’d put a slickened pole that a man or woman could slide down quickly to exit the building. She didn’t want access to the … the… what would they call it? Sun.. Sky... moon… stars… Solarium. Yes, that’s what it would be. She didn’t want access to the Solarium from inside the clinic. She just wanted Caelum to be close to the clinic if he needs to be.

And what would it look like? Crystal of course. Kavala was getting very masterful at crafting stone just the way she wanted it. To this end, she’d learned that any stone in the world could be duplicated if a Reimancer was patient enough. And luckily clear quartz was easy enough to replicate. It would not be the longest lasting building material because it wasn’t the hardest stone on record, but again, with a resident Reimancer around, it didn’t’ have to be. The building could be maintained yearly just like any of the other buildings at The Sanctuary. So the building must be built of crystal. Yes, clear walls would have just enough privacy so that Caelum wouldn’t feel exposed. Crystal was translucent but thick enough that it wasn’t see through. Light would flood in and fill the space with warmth and glowing beams of Syna’s love. But it would not reveal his doings and comings and goings to people not outside. And at night it would glow brightly, lighting up the area around the pool and clinic if Caelum left lights on inside. And for effect she could make the crystal different hues. Kavala wondered if there had ever been a geomancer like her that had made crystalline walls that changed color and formed pictures like her stained glass could.

Kavala concentrated for a moment, held out her hand that wasn’t half dragging the cow around the pasture, and pooled res into her palm. The healer concentrated as she walked, infusing her will into the shape in her palm. A sun, with rays moving outward, formed of crystal. And each ray would be a different shade of red and orange translucent crystal. Kavala concentrated until the pool of res stretched out in her palm and took more of a circular shape. She forced more res into the shape, pulling it from the center circle… and darkening it. Red… the center circle being bright yellow…. But see through. She held the image of quartz crystal firmly in her mind. The shape wavered, and then flowed, as more colored rays edged outwards. The thing was the size of a medallion when she was done, its rays all different shapes, almost resembling more flames than a stylized sun. But she kept at it, kept manipulating it, until the shape was perfect and each ray was a different translucent color in the warmth of yellows, oranges, and reds. Holding the finished product up, the light caught it and Kavala grinned. The sun would make a great baby mobile to hang over her next child’s crib. She needed a few more of them though…. Perhaps a dozen. Slipping the crystalline creation into her apron pocket, Kavala kept moving, knowing now she could build the walls beautifully.
Last edited by Kavala on November 18th, 2013, 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[The Sanctuary] Catching The Sun

Postby Kavala on November 11th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Kavala kept thinking. The building wasn’t suited for four walls, no, not in her mind. She wanted it to have a domed ceiling and walls that undulated across the clinic roof in a pattern that no earthly man would ever have to conform too. Interestingly enough, Bessy’s side had a beautiful shape on it. The cow wasn’t the standard black and white of most dairy cows. Instead she was a burnished gold and cream that formed a pinto coat that looked truly beautiful upon her. On her side was a shape that would definitely fit into the square roof ceiling of the clinic and yet could be divided into a nice open living space for Caelum.

She held out her hand again, inspired, and pooled more res. She'd made a sun, now she wondered how blue and green colors came out in crystal. Kavala knew inherently that she knew what blue and green looked like, but could that translate into crystal? Kavala focused on the growing pool in the palm of her hand and shaped it into a five pointed start. She fussed with it, trying to get all five points equal and looking like it was technically drawn, and not cast into being. It took time. One would get bigger, the oppsoite side would get smaller and the star would sway from perfect to warped in a heartbeat. Kavala realized that she had to make small adjustments to the points, tiny minute ones, to get the start shape lying flat in her hand made of crystal to cooperate. When it did, the res fully formed the stone one shining ray at a time. As they cooled they took on color, her mind willing them to tint first blue, then green, then an in between color. Two points were lighter than the other two points, while the third was somewhat sparkling that came out teal. Kavala achieved the sparkling by visualizing tiny flecks of silver forming in the stone - like glitter - as it cooled and hardened. Kavala admired the star for a moment, then grinned and slipped it into her pocket with the other piece she'd make into her new child's mobile.

Kavala walked more, growing wearier as she seemed to set one foot down in the same prints over and over again. They circled the boarding pasture, ran out through the gate between barns and into the horse yard, ten across the arena and back into the brood mare pasture. It was a long walk on its own, but with a cow being towed along – leaking running manure – and bawling loudly, it was impossibly long. This was especially true when you did it over and over again.

“You should get off your feet, Aunt Kavala.” Larik said, frowning as he approached, mostly dressed and looking fresh. “If all you need is Bessy walked for a while, I can take over so you can relax. I’m between patrols and just grabbed a bite to eat, so there’s nothing else for me to do at the moment.” Her nephew offered, shaking his head and almost preening, even though he was in his human form. Kavala smiled.

“That would be incredible of you. I was just thinking if we had to make one more round, I’d rather give the widow one of our calves and a few pounds of steak rather than keep doing this. And that is not the way a healer should feel.”
Kavala said with a grin. Larik returned her smile. He took Bessy’s lead, the switch, and kept moving with the grumbling milk cow. She was doing much better. But Kavala wouldn’t wan them to stop until she was fully drained and the cow was showing signs of wanting to eat again. If she ate, that meant her gut was feeling much better.

“I’ll be back in an hour. Can you hold out that long? She should be ready to just about relax then. So long as the business end is still free flowing, she’s going to be fine.”
The Konti said, knowing the cow was in good hands with Vanator’s teenage son at the lead. With Lariks’ nod, Kavala headed back towards the tunnel that leads to The Within. She headed down the tunnel to the main room, and then walked down the corridor to the library. She grabbed parchment and paper and started sketching. The way she put her thoughts to paper resembled a bird looking at the structure from above. There was the square of the clinics roof depicted by a plainly sketched square, and then there was another shape inside of that. It had no square walls and did not touch the sides of the clinic roof. It looked like a child drew an irregular rounded shape within a square, a shape that exactly mimicked the pleasing looking pattern on Bessy’s side.

Kavala studied the square footage and decided it would be about a thousand square feet. She could put a hearth in extending upwards built off the chimney that was bricked into the clinic. All she’d have to do was extend that chimney up and double it up on the roof, giving Caelum a place to cook or a hearth to light to heat the area. She could section off a nice bedroom area with a half wall or something else as equally decorative. Perhaps more of the outer wall brought inside. That one could be a work of art as well. Kavala envisioned the walls starting off as stretching upwards, then around six foot up rolling up to a peak somewhere in the middle of the building. The structure itself could resemble perhaps a bell in its silhouette, though in truth it would not be long and wide, with rounded walls, not completely round at all.

Kavala sketched that profile silhouette figure in, then thought about what kind of designs she could do. It struck her how hard the Eth fell prey to the Seasons, their appearance changing with the weather. So what if on the walls of the Solarium she went ahead and made the motif seasonal? There could be crystalline trees with leaves, without leaves, snow covered, and with a riot of fall. The work would take her a considerable amount of time and effort, but it would give her something to do in the later stages of pregnancy where no one was letting her bend, twist or lift. And in terms of supports, all Kavala would need would be to go talk to her mentor Lars with her drawings and see what he said. Or, better yet, she could invite him for lunch at his convenience and see if he’d talk with her about her design plans. Lars was an incredible Reimancer. He’d taken her under his wing when she’d first started The Within, and because of his diligence, the place had turned out fantastic.

Kavala expected no less of the Solarium.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 12th, 2013, 1:59 am

And whether Caelum stayed there or not, Kavala felt the new structure might as well be a showpiece for The Sanctuary and a place where VIP Guests could stay if necessary. Kavala continued to sketch, working on the general shape and some ideas she had for the interior until Cadra walked in. She looked up as her niece stepped in and smiled. “How are things?” She asked.

Cadra nodded, and shrugged. “A little slow. I was thinking of going into town tomorrow for supplies. I feel the urge to make something special for lunch or dinner and we just have the bare necessities here.”

Kavala laughed. “You must be picking up on me. I was going to ask you if you minded making a special lunch tomorrow if Lars accepts an invite. I want him to come out and see a design I have for a new Solarium on the roof of the Healing Center. I was thinking of it as a place for Caelum to stay. But, if he can’t come I can go to him. I just thought it would be nice to look at plans over a meal here. He hasn’t seen some of my newest work… mainly the kitchen and great room embellishments.” Kavala said.

Cadra smiled. “That’s just what I need… to fix a special mean. I’ll definitely do it. If I leave at first light, I can get back here and cook and have things ready for midday if that’s when you want to invite him. Are you going to send word today?” The girl asked.

Kavala nodded. “I’ll send Larik with a message just as soon as I spell him from walking Bessy. She’s got the colic again, and I needed a break from dragging her around the pasture. She should be fine enough to stall now and watch from there.” Cadra frowned at the news that Bessy was back but was glad Kavala was caring for her. At Kavala’s words, she nodded and walked over to the drawing. She noted the sketches, looked intrigued, and then ran her hands over the colored ink markings Kavala had added to show where she’d put the ‘stained glass walls’ in as crystalline stone.

“This is going to be really pretty, Kavala. Each building you craft does get better. Do you realize that?” Cadra asked.

Kavala dropped her head, slightly embarrassed, and then finally smiled. “I’m trying. I never thought that I’d have a knack for building… that’s for sure. But I love architecture and design. I even love the actual construction. This one is going to be mostly of crystal. I think Caelum will like it. I want him to feel as at home here as possible, all things considered. So I’m going to cover the walls with Drykas designs as well. Knotwork, running horses, and a seasonal motif all the way around.” Kavala explained, showing Cadra on the drawing. Her niece smiled, nodded, and patted her very pregnant aunt on the shoulder.

“It’s beautiful.” She said, nodding.

Kavala stood at the words and nodded. “Well time to go give Larik some relief. I bet he’ll be glad to see me.” And with that, Kavala gave Cadra a final hug and walked out, heading back towards the ramp that lead up to the arena and the pasture where Larik was hopefully still walking Bessy. When she arrived, Kavala took over again, glad that the cow looked much better and had Larik halt her. She pressed her ear to either side of the cow’s flanks, listening for stomach noises. She could hear a full cohort of them, so the Konti smiled in relief. “Stay off your belly this time Bessy, and all will be well.” She added, leading the cow along with her nephew to the cow barn across the facility and placing her in a warm corner with lots of dry fodder and water to eat. Hopefully the cow wouldn’t lay down again, or worse yet roll. When Bessy was settled, Kavala turned to Larik and handed him a carefully written invite.

“Do you mind flying this into town really fast and giving it to Lars? I’d like to see him at lunch tomorrow or the next day if he has time. I have some plans I want to go over and get his insight on.” Her nephew, which loved errands like this, readily agreed. Kavala passed him some market coin as well, so he could browse the market when he was done with his errand. Larik never failed to bring himself and Cadra home something of a treat, usually utterly exotic and sometimes met with disbelief by his sister. On Kavala’s part, she hoped someday Larik would find a bondmate among the folks in town and that they’d somehow be united before Larik got too old. As Kelvics went, both he and his twin sister Cadra were the prime age to bond, and should be looking for bondmates. Kavala knew the twins wanted to stay with family members, even after bonding, so they kept searching for bondmates among the people that were intimately involved in The Sanctuary.

Kavala didn’t mind. She just wanted them to be happy. And she knew they weren’t happy if they were alone. So she tried to keep them both busy, engaged, and continuously learning.

But enough worry about the twins, the Konti thought, she had enough other things to fussy over other than her niece and nephew. Kavala was already onto the next problem when Larik flew off to send out his invitation. If Lars showed up tomorrow, she wanted at least a sweeping spiral stair to the roof of the clinic done so he could walk up and survey the structure himself. To that end, she headed towards the pool area and patio around it so she could get some idea of where she wanted the stairs to go. Following the natural flow of the clinic on the south side, Kavala’s mind sketched in a sweeping staircase big enough for a large Akalak burdened down with furniture to walk up. That would cover two normal people walking side by side and any furnishings they needed to get into Caelum’s quarters. It would need support too. The stairs could be affixed to the Healing Clinic on the north side of the stairs, south side of the clinic, but beneath and below to support its actual weight, the stairs would need a solid column. Kavala decided to handle that first. This would not be a column of crystal but instead a column that matched the burnt orange color of stone that decorated the clinic.

She moved to the far southeast corner of the clinic, paced off how big she wanted the column and then drew res. A stout column would need a lot of res to craft it, so she began pulling and pulling it from her. The res floated out and away from her, fed by her inner djed engines, and rose in a twisting translucent mass. The climb upwards was beautiful for the geomancer as she watched res formed of her djed transformed into a large column of glowing power that slowly solidified into stone as it bowed to her will.

The column she visualized as absolutely flawless, with its hard stone both sturdy and yet flexible enough that if the earth shook it could take some warping without snapping. She had it rise to the sky to the height of the flat clinic roof, and then flared djed out from there, creating a platform that slapped against the clinic and merged with the stone building there that was of her creation as well.

The Konti smiled, letting the support pillar solidify into reality and stood back to see how it looked against the other aesthetics of the courtyard. Beautiful.. Truly beautiful.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 13th, 2013, 10:47 am

The next thing Kavala was going to do to complete the stairway was to gather the djed she’d produced, shape it into res, and sweep the res from the top of the little platform of stone she’d made to the bottom floor of the patio. The sweep had to be gentle, not rising too fast, not falling too quickly. It had to be an easy casual climb upwards and descent downwards. Kavala stood back, thickened the ‘landing pad’ on the top beneath the pillar, and then arched her back and threw her hands out. Res flowed from her, rising from where she was standing on the ground gently upwards to the platform in the sky. The Konti smiled, loving the addictive feeling of the magic pouring through her. The layer of res was thin at first, but as the Konti poured more power into it, the stone thickened until it was at least a foot deep. The base of the stairs swept upwards to where the small landing would be and thickened there as well. The Konti stepped back, walked around the structure where it hugged the side of the clinic, and examined it from multiple views. It was graceful, blended into the lines of the building, and was going to look great even from the pool. Right then it had no steps on it, but she wasn’t worried. She wanted strength, not structure for the moment. So the overall effect looked more like an incredibly steep ramp headed up to the second story or perhaps a slide down from that very height.

Kavala next moved around until she faced the ramp and stared upwards. Kneeling down, she summoned more res and coated the first section of the ramp near the ground. A foot deep and as wide as the ramp, Kavala drew a step into being, forming it of res and then hardening it into marble-like stone. The squared off step looked odd all alone, seeming to hang out of nothing at the very bottom of the ramp. The Konti moved forward, knelt on the step, and then crafted the second step. She pulled res, stretched it out, and held the image of the step in her mind. It rose from the ramp, thick and strong, joining its sibling beneath it. Two steps were now done and the Konti glanced upwards. She did a quick mental calculation, and decided that there’d be at least two dozen of them, maybe thirty, to get to the top floor. She could have made the ramp steeper, the steps more narrow, but it wouldn’t be as lovely or as graceful if she had. The Konti moved upwards, crafted a third step, and was reminded of what it took to get her to do all the ramp ridges on the tunnel within. That structure had taken a week to complete before she could build the rest of the facility deep in the stone cliff overlooking the sea. This stairway, in particular, would go a whole lot faster.

Ten steps done, Kavala was halfway up the structure and decided it needed something of a railing too. If there were just adults living at The Sanctuary, she’d have just put a single rail that a person could grip with a few supports to hold it up stretching up and down the stairway. But a dozen steps in, she saw how far the fall was and thought of Tasival and knew the stairway needed a solid wall to protect the children that might want to visit Caelum in his loftly abode. Another two stairs done and Kavala had decided that the view overlooking the pool would be too blocked by an actual half wall. So instead, Kavala decided she’d make the half-wall crystalline, like she’d planned for Caelum’s chambers to be. So while the view would be obscured the riot of colors around the pool area in the warmer seasons would not.

Ten more steps upwards and the Konti had decided on a slightly shimmering rainbow of crystal falling downward mimicking a rainbow. It would not be a deep tint, but rather a very subtle shift like an aurora in a pale sky. Another half dozen steps crafted, and the Konti was at the top on the landing. She alighted onto the roof and looked around. She was right. The view had been incredible.

Kavala smiled.

Then she walked back to where her stairway was, examined where the landing rested on the pillar and attached to the roof, and at that singular joint she drew res up and crafted a support beam that was about breast high on her. It was not a straight rigid line, but rather formed of the same marble that lifted up from the roof and landing pad and mimicked a tree rising and throwing branches to the sky. From the top of the ‘branches’ Kavala attached a solid piece of marble woven from her own res, and drew the marble around, enclosing one edge of the landing in a railing. Where the stairs suddenly dropped off, Kavala drew up another marble tree and had the railing cross its branches as well. Then she moved backwards, knelt down on the landing, and began filling in the thin air with think res, willing it to form into quartz. The Konti swept the quartz around, filling in the open space between the two marble trees. This made a nice tall half-wall that encased the landing which would keep small people and dogs from falling off the edge of the roof. Kavala decided she liked the look so well that she’d run the same wall all around the top of the roof, forming Caelum a sun deck of sorts.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 13th, 2013, 10:49 am

But first she had to complete the stairway. With all the stairs in place, Kavala knew she’d put another marble tree at the bottom, and by the look of the length of the stair decided just one more in the center of the stairway would be strong enough to support the whole thing even with heavy Akalak boots padding up and down the stairway. Kavala kept her back to the healing clinic wall – a building which prevented the need for any sort of half wall on that side, and moved halfway down the stairs. With her back to the healing clinic, and her body safe from any sort of accidental fall, Kavala called forth more res and pulled a tree into being, merging it seamlessly into the stairway beneath her and artistically pulling its branches in all flat directions to form the railing support. Once that tree was done, she moved to the bottom and crafted one more tree. This tree was slightly modified because it didn’t have a rail moving past its center point. The tree ended the rail, and thus was only half a tree with its branches extending up instead of up and down like the one in the middle had.

Kavala then stood back, gripped the tree, and forced res to trace a route up from the ground floor tree decoration to the center tree decoration, and further up to the landing decoration where the stairway plunged off the roof. The line of res solidified, thickened and formed the handrail. Kavala smiled.

All she had left to do was fill in the gaps between the tree supports with clear crystal wall. The wall itself was about ten inches thick, so moving back down to the bottom step, the Konti braced herself and began pulling more res. She pushed res into the gaps, keeping it a thin wall, and solidified it into the crystal she envisioned as she did so. Kavala grinned. The effect was exactly what she wanted. But she had no idea how to get the aurora-like shimmer she’d imagined. The Konti rested a moment, scratched her head, and thought a moment. There were stones that gave off shimmers, opal coming to mind first and foremost. The woman wondered if a thin layer of opal would do the trick, though it that type of stone was fragile and would need repair often. She’d got a shimmer on Reverie Isle when she’d done the last coat of stone in Rainbow Obsidian. Kavala paused, looked thoughtful, and considered.

No, stone wouldn’t fix her problem. She’d have to find some sort of polish or coat to cover the wall in that would do the trick instead. So she shelved the idea and decided she’d work on the wall the next day, working around the flat roof of the Healing Clinic and making it safe for people to be on the roof as she worked on the solarium. And she’d do so after a good long meal and a deep rest. The Healer knew her limits as a Geomancer and building a Solarium all in one day was not within them.

Kavala woke well rested the next day and ate a breakfast of fresh bread slathered with butter and honey. Lars had returned her invite with an acceptance for the following day, so she had a bit of time to continue the half-wall around the Healing clinic’s roof. She’d decided, during the night, that the half-wall shed’ done for the stairs was beautiful enough to continue around for the sun deck she’d make of the roof wall. The only problem was that she still wanted the shimmer on the plain clear quartz crystal. Kavala had no idea how to get it to happen, and even after a night’s rest the problem hadn’t worked itself out in her mind.

Lars would know. That’s for sure, but she’d rather figure it out on her own than to go ahead and wait to ask him. But before she dwelled on that too long, she’d need the rest of the wall done. So Kavala hurried through her chores, doing each task thoroughly but completely before finally ending up outside the clinic. She had to hold off on working on the Solarium though because two walk-ins showed up and needed help. One was a cat having kittens and experiencing trouble. It simply took a few massages of her stomach to get the kitten that was stuck headed the right way and the rest of the birth completed without issue. The second patient was a dog with a broken shoulder. Evidently a cow had taken exception to the dog’s presence and had relieved it of its ability to walk. Kavala fixed the shoulder as only a twice marked Rak’keli’s healer could do, and the dog walked out of the clinic tail wagging when it had to be carried in before. The owner was convinced the dog wasn’t going to be saved, but Kavala had reassured her it was definitely going to be fine. The pair had left happy, and Kavala had a few more gold coins in her pocket for her troubles.

That accomplished, she turned the clinic over to Chalce who had a few raptor appointments, and climbed the new stairway to the roof to start on the wall.

Continued in: Catching The Sun (Sun Series Part 2)
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[The Sanctuary] Chasing The Sun (Part 1)

Postby Taylani on November 19th, 2013, 4:29 am

XP Award!

Kavala:

XP Award:
  • +3 planning
  • +3 architecture
  • +4 construction
  • +5 reimancy

Lore:
  • Caelum: Needed to be above ground
  • Reimancy: Any stone in the world could be duplicated
  • Architecture: Getting inspiration from animals

Comments :
Ok now I want a crystal solarium.. Please feel free to pm me with any concerns about the grade, and don’t forget to delete/you’re your grade request.

TAYLANI
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)