[Wright Memorial Library] Your Mind is What Matters

[Ignotus Everto]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Edreina on November 20th, 2013, 5:02 am

48th of Fall, 513 After the Valterrien
The Wright Memorial Library, Zeltiva
Syna's Highest Point

As Edreina bounded up the steps and into the library, she was not struck dumb by the thousands of volumes of books nor the knowledge contained inside. Books could only teach so much, as far as she was concerned. The young Svefra had a brain that learned best through physical action, through doing that which she wanted to learn. It was how she had first learned to swim, to fight, and all else.

Today, she was going to learn magic.

Or, learn to be better at magic, rather.

Grinning, she stopped near the front door, hands on her slip hips. Again, her hair was unbound and she wore only her riding pants and linen about her chest. An odd figure she certainly cast in the library, among so many scholars and casual bibliophiles. If she cared to look, some would be viewing the young redhead with scorn and confusion. But, it mattered not.

Her new mentor had requested that she appear here at noon and at noon she had appeared. Sure, she had been wandering for the better part of a bell, seeking the place out. That did not matter either, though. She was here at the right time and that was all that mattered. Today, she would be challenged like she had not in quite some time, she could feel it in her bones. Bring it on...
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 21st, 2013, 1:11 am

Soon Edreina heard hurried footsteps behind a door not too far from her. Oh boy, oh boy! First magic lessons! How exciting! The handle turned, and...

A wild-haired, wilder-eyed man in white linens smeared with what was hopefully mud appeared, sporting what appeared to be the legs of a Glassbeak. He barreled out the door, knocked a nine-year-old out of the way, and skidded to a halt right in front of Edreina.

For a tick, everything was still. The entire library stared at the two. A book fell from the hands of a bespectacled lit student. Bird-man stared at the Svefra. The Svefra stared at Bird-man. A quiet message in the language of batshit passed between them. His lips parted. Then he screamed. The people in the library screamed. The white-coated men with syringes chasing him screamed. The parrot in the rafters screamed. Everybody screamed.

It was around that moment that Ignotus walked in through the main door, idly writing on a clip board. He had about a tick to look up in frozen bewilderment before one of the doctors (because what else could they be?) cried "Someone stop him!" and the nutter turned to make a dash for the Nuit.

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on November 21st, 2013, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Edreina on November 21st, 2013, 2:54 am

The only person that did not scream was, apparently, the Svefra. Of course, she jumped and started backwards a bit, it was only natural. The man was obviously off the deep end of all things natural with one foot in Crazytown and the other just shy of Totally Sane, Sylira.

When he started to run and someone shouted that he needed to be stop, Edreina acted without thinking. Powerful legs propelled her forward and then up, onto the birdman's back so that her arm could lock around his neck. Not even a tick was wasted wondering why the man needed to be stopped (as if it was not quickly apparent). The young Svefra trusted the word of others and her own instincts this time.

As he started to flail and make sounds not entirely human, she adjusted her grip, locking the inside of her elbow around his windpipe and then using her other hand to hold her wrist so that the hold would be tighter. Long, limber legs flailed like a dolls as she was shook about by the stubborn brute. Apparently, his legs were not the only things to have gained a birdlike quality. Normally smiling lips were pulled tight in a grimace as she tightened her arm, hoping to subdue the man or knock him unconscious. Her form was far from refined, but it was meant to accomplish a reasonably simple task.

As the fight drug on, probably having lasted about three entire ticks now, she lifted her legs and wrapped them around his, hoping to trip him up or to knock him off balance. Another strange cry rent the library, and a frustrated Edreina shouted right back, imbuing her voice with Djed, "Just go down, you stupid petcher!" There was a natural tinge of anger to her voice, but more than that she attempted to convey how hopeless his situation, how soon he would be losing. Your fighting does not matter! Surrender!

Again, she adjusted her grip about his neck and, apparently, she had hit a sweet spot. After another breath, he started to slow and then finally stilled, wobbling in place. This may not have been entirely intelligent. The thought occurred the same instant that the world tilted and she found herself pinned beneath a very unconscious, very stinky birdman.

Looking up, she could see people staring at her oddly, as if she were one of the action heroes from the books in which their noses were so eagerly buried. But, a particular figure caught her eye. First he sees you running into a burning building, now tackling the crazy bird... He's going to think you're psychotic. Almost sheepishly, she extricated herself from beneath the unconscious man-bird-thing and grinned at Ignotus, hand rising to fluff her hair self-consciously. "Hello..." Ah, as verbose as ever when under pressure.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 21st, 2013, 3:49 am

Well. That was over quickly.
By the time the wizard had produced any usable amount of Res, Bird-man was already conked out. As such, he simply blinked twice and walked over to his protege-to-be, a thick fog about a yard in width puddled around his feet.

If Ignotus had any frame of reference for a strangulation, he might have noticed it was over a touch too quickly... But, sadly, thirty five years without breathing tends to cause one to forget. "You continue to be full of surprises, Edreina." he said happily as a pack of orderlies surrounded the man. "And a great boon to our fine city."

"Aye," said one of the doctors, "Chester here would've outrun us for sure if it weren't for you."
"Never did think he'd turn his foot into a copy of the key..." remarked another.

The Nuit shrugged. "Anyways, he's..."
Ignotus trailed off then. The man's legs, though limp, were still that of a bird's, and though he wasn't a Morpher, he knew enough of personal magic to know when something was off. "Not changed back."

The orderly with the syringe was bending over him then, and had just enough time to voice a confused "Eh?" before getting kicked in the chest by a taloned foot. As it turned out, four ticks wasn't enough to choke someone out. Not properly, anyways. The poor lad, now bleeding profusely, stumbled back into Edreina, while the other men in white hopped away. This, unfortunately, gave him plenty of time to flip onto his feet, shout something about mind-thieves, and race off into the University halls.

Ignotus... Was not the best at reacting quickly to things. He cursed under his breath and said slightly irritably, "Now, we could chase after him... Or we could find somewhere without so much..." he slowly looked up with pursed lips; the parrot in the rafters hadn't shut up. "Screaming."

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 21st, 2013, 3:56 am

"Ye've gotta be petchin' kiddin' me!" Edreina grumbled, annoyance causing her Common to flicker and dance as Fratavan would have. The bastard was still smart enough to fake it, apparently. An apologetic gesture was made, and she shook her head before turning attentively to Ignotus. "Getting away from the screaming would surely be nice. Even if we don't find him, you can show me around!" Always a bright side to things, as far as she was concerned. It took a tick, but she realized that she was being distracted from the purpose of this jaunt across Zeltiva. "I'm sure I would learn a few things along the way, as well..."
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 21st, 2013, 4:15 am

The Hypnotist chuckled as he started towards the East Wing. "Indeed. As a matter of fact, our partially-feathered friend here offers a perfect example of a very important lesson."

Ignotus' face darkened then, the shadow of the doorway they passed through flitting over it, "Never. Ever. Overexert yourself. What you saw back there was an overgiven wizard; someone who pushed himself too far and lost his mind as a result. He escaped from the asylum we hold them in. If you're reckless, especially at your level, you could very well join him." A pause; a smile lit on his face before he said, "So safety first, yes?"

As if on cue, there was a loud thump in the distant, followed by a man's howling. "Ah! And I think our orderly friends have scored a hit." the undead chirped.
They soon reached a vacant classroom, and Ignotus asked as he opened the door, "So then! Where would you like to begin?"

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 21st, 2013, 4:45 am

"Overgiven..." The word and its repercussions were cemented into her mind. Any time after that, when the young mage felt that she was nearing the end of her strength, she would see the feathered beast who once was human, would hear his inhuman cries.

The thump startled Edreina from her considerations, causing her blue eyes to flicker worriedly. But, her fear quickly was dissuaded by her new mentor's comment. If the monster had been caught, they could move on to their lesson.

Once in the classroom, she perched upon one of the desks, crossing her legs before her so that a braid of leather-clad muscle reached the floor with trail-worn soles. "I'd like to delve more into how to use Hypnotism without speaking... The concept is foreign to me... Til now, I've been channeling my Djed into my voice. How else can I use it?"
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 21st, 2013, 5:25 am

The Nuit shrugged as he walked in after her and leaned against the doorframe. "It depends on how you view it, I suppose. I personally imagine a sort of... Aura?" He frowned, "Normally it stays inside my body, but if I will it, it expands beyond its boundaries. For the voice, it billows out. For eye contact, it's... Not unlike beads on a string."

He cocked his head dismissively and smiled. "You especially will need to make eye contact to get proper results. But enough about me... My Hypnotism is fine. How do you imagine it?"

Once he had that information, he clapped his hands together with a grin, "All right! Let's see if you can induce happiness."
With that, he locked his eyes on Edreina, "Establish a connection, then send your will through it."

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 21st, 2013, 5:45 am

"I see it as a sort of nimbus in my chest into which I can reach into. It is warm, and it is what gives power to my voice. I would imagine that it can send power to whatever other part of me I wish to use..." The last part was a realization that emerged in her vocal musings.

A gentle, thoughtful smile claimed her lips as she was commanded to send her new mentor happiness. It was her second favorite emotion to toy with, falling just below lust. Being able to make someone happy or aroused was not so bad, as far as she was concerned. Blue eyes locked onto his and, not for the first time, she was unnerved by how rarely he blinked. Actually, she could not recall him blinking ever. It was odd, but people on land were odd.

Instinct first pushed her to send wave after wave of happiness towards him, but memory caused her to refrain. The emotion needed to feel natural, as if it came from within. On the inhale, she reached into her soul and slipped her fingers into the pool of Djed that lingered there, waiting for her. When acting upon a whim, it was easier to reach than when she was forcing herself to manipulate it. Finally, she felt its warmth spreading through her body.

The Svefra lass imagined it filling her eyes, making them sparkle and dance with life. Through her connection with Ignotus, she attempted to make him reminisce about a happier time, about something that brought him joy. It was an approach far removed from what she normally practiced and it felt a bit less defined without the guidance of her voice. But, everyone had to start somewhere.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 22nd, 2013, 12:01 am

In a tick, Ignotus felt the warm, fuzzy feeling of success, and motioned for Edreina to stop. "Good." he said with a satisfied nod, "You learn fast."
She really was a near-perfect pick! Physically exceptional, mentally agile, and she wasn't too scared to get her hands a touch dirty- but not too dirty. He was the one who was knee-deep in the mire. She would be the innocent one.

"There's one more way to use Hypnotism that's of any use to you." the wizard said as he walked over to her, "Touch. I'll let you use your imagination for this one- just nothing too unpleasant, aye?"
In truth, a sufficiently skilled Hypnotist could work their magic through pure presence, but ever since Akajia marked him, he had been increasingly loathe to share any bit of knowledge without good reason. Besides, such a thing would just frustrate a novice. Best to wait until she could do anything with the information, no?

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next