Solo The Gifts of Hypnotism, pt. 2

In which Rosela parts ways with her big fish.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Gifts of Hypnotism, pt. 2

Postby Rosela on November 27th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Timestamp: 83rd of Autumn, 513AV

Note :
This thread is a part 2 to this thread, in which Rosela meets Preskon Levrat, precious metals tycoon, and takes what business advice she can from him, aided by a little hypnotism.

What follows is a primarily social exchange that is meant to set up later events.

Rosela strongly suspected the bartender wanted to ask them to leave, but Preskon’s continuous flow of drinks seemed to be staying the woman’s hand. The bar was empty and the tables surrounding them long since cleaned. The fire still crackled though, and though Rosela’s head was now continuously leaned into one hand, she kept talking. Preskon seemed to be solidly unaffected by the alcohol, though he had relaxed and seemed to laugh more.

Rosela was grateful she was not so drunk as to not realize it, and had safely stowed her hypnotism away for the night. In a moment of musing early on, she wondered if drunk hypnotism on a sober person would be more or less effective. On one hand, the ramblings of a drunk could easily pass for the ramblings of internal thoughts. On the other, she’d probably completely miss it if she had messed up and let Preskon onto her meddlings. That notion alone was enough to temporarily sober her up.

They had moved onto more personal topics, and Preskon seemed far better able to ramble on about his family, rather than the back and forth he had perpetuated when talking about the business world.

“I just didn’t have the heart for it, I didn’t.”

”See, that why they keep doing it.” The alcohol had her feeling very comfortable with the older man, and she poked him hard in the arm to emphasize her point. ”Unless you take a stand, they’ll never stop.”

“Aaah,” he waved her off. “You sound like my oldest daughter.”

”Well, it sounds like she knows what she’s talking about. Why don’t they start their own businesses instead of mooching.” Preskon laughed, and Rosela belatedly realized she’d slipped into Arumenic. ”Sorry. You know, instead of…” She searched for a less insulting phrase for what she thought of his bloodsucking family. ”Borrowing. …All the time.”

“Many do,” Preskon replied with a slightly defensive air, but Rosela only cocked an eyebrow. A gravelly laughed escaped him and he took a solid drink of his ale. “I mean that. If every single member wanted only to live on my fortune, I’d be bankrupt in a year. It really is just my great grandchildren…” His voice dropped and for a moment, he seemed to talk to his glass. “Now, my grandchildren, they had my heart… Such drive, every one of them.”

"And the great grandchildren?"

"Ah, I don't know what happened with them. There's a couple good apples, and you can bet every one finished their studies, but so many of them have no real passion. Particularly the girls; not that there's anything wrong with being a wife and mother," he added quickly. "But I'd so wish to see them take up a trade."

Rosela made an effort not the wrinkle her nose. She'd been in that place once - content only to rule her home and live off of the wealth of others. It was the way of the Gilded, the way she'd grown up with. Now that she'd tasted her independence though...she pitied the poor women of Preskon's great granddaughters.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rosela on April 14th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Preskon shook his head softly appeared to make an effort to change the subject. “Tell me, where are you from in Eyktol?”

Rosela perked up immediately. As much as they had talked that night, not much had been spent on her homeland. ”Um, Ahnatep? I left Spring of 512.”

The answer seemed to take him off guard and he turned to look at her. “During the Djed Storm? Was the city badly affected?”

”After, but I wouldn’t know how it affected the city. I was indoors for most of it, recovering from…a difficult time, but I heard stories of strange things outside the walls.”

“A difficult time? Were you unwell?”

Rosela hummed down into her wine, swirling it slowly. Part of her, likely the inebriated part, wanted to tell him and have that connection of a shared secret. The firelight reflected against her wine and for a moment, she saw the flames licking at the fringes of a body. Pulling herself out with a great force of will, she looked up at Preskon and attempted a smile. ”Family trage-dy.” Her voice wavered more than she’d intended and she politely cleared her throat.

He caught the drift though, and nodded solemnly. “My condolences. It was a rough time for much of the world, I hear. Before you left though, tell me, did you ever hear of a woman named Nahatimal Prina? She’s an Akontak, one of my grand daughters.”

Frowning in thought, Rosela wracked her hazy memory for the name. ”Sorry…doesn’t ring any bells.”

Preskon shrugged sadly. “Ah, I expected as much. She left Riverfall with a young man several years ago, hoping to make their fortune in Ahnatep. Perfumery,” he clarified for Rosela.

”Well, that’s the place to go… I’m sure she’s…doing well?” She searched for something consoling to say, but only came up with various Arumenic platitudes and the realization that she was starting to get sleepy.

“You remind me a lot of her, actually.”

Expecting anything but that, Rosela was struck speechless for a moment. Preskon looked up at her sadly, his gaze unfocused. “She was a beautiful girl, like you. Such drive too – it was all or nothing with her. When she fell in love, that was it, she simply had to be married. When she took up perfumery, she simply had to take up with the best. Your people.”

”Well, when you…you know, dedicate your life to something, nothing else will do…” Blinking slowly, Rosela didn’t catch her slip into another language.

Preskon continued softly, as though he hadn’t heard her. “I wanted her to take over my company someday. She had a good eye for the trade, and was ruthless enough that she was one of the few among my family that I felt I could trust to do right by the business. Akajia above, I miss my girl.”

”I’m sure you taught her well… Maybe she had her big break after I left…” Unsure of what else to say, Rosela let the moment fall into silence, watching through drooping eyes the forlorn Akalak stare into his ale.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on April 14th, 2014, 8:10 pm

At some point, Preskon noticed Rosela's fluttering eyes and immediately broke into an apologetic smile. “Look at me, rambling on. I thought you Eypharians were famous for your late nights?”

Rosela glared at him, but the effect was broken by a wide yawn.

“Come now, we’ll let our good friends close their good establishment, and we’ll get you home.”

She was at the door before she knew it, bundled in her cloak. The moment the door opened though, all shreds of sleepiness were ripped from her and she gasped at the blast of icy air. Petch, it’s cold!

“Do you need my cloak my dear?” Preskon frowned down at her in oddly fatherly concern.

”N-no, I’m fine. I live just up the street.”

“Very well then, I won’t keep you. Thank you for an exquisite evening, Rosela the Clothier.”

Doing her best to suppress shivers, Rosela reached out to take his hand. ”I’m very c-certain the pleasure was all mine. Thank you very kindly, Preskon Levrat.”

Preskon took her hand gently and lifted it to press a soft kiss to the back of it. After a final, lingering look, Rosela’s bodily warmth won out and she trotted quickly up the street.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 15th, 2014, 4:45 am

XP AWARD!
Thanks for threading in Riverfall.

Character: Rosela
Experience: Socialization +3
Lore: Preskon Levrat: Slightly Uncomfortable To Socialize With, Basic Acquaintances With.

Additional Note: I really wish there was more XP I could really award you. The talk was really unenlightening, and though Preskon was a gentleman, he seemed to make your PC rather uncomfortable. Good job conveying that.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)