[Traverse's Scrapbook] Movie Reviews and Mayhem

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Evalin on August 4th, 2014, 11:04 pm

How do I get one o.o
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Traverse on August 7th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Okay, so I normally don't post music in here...in fact I think this is the first time I've ever done it. I heard this song while driving the other day and just loved it, and then realized it was Train. I looked up the music video to show other folks the song and was more than amused. Even if you don't enjoy train just watch the first 40ish seconds, totally worth it for Danny Trejo. Also if you're a fan of New Girl, the actress that plays CeCe is in this!

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Strange on August 17th, 2014, 8:00 am

Just went to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Simply great. I have to admit 8 out of 10 of the Marvel cinematic universe movies I have enjoyed so I wasn't all surprised that I liked this movie so much but by Uldr's holy underpants it was one of their best so far from the dynamic casts to the well portrayed characters. I've never read a Marvel comic in my life so I don't know how much they took from the comics but even if it was a complete copy and past interpretation I am still impressed. I mean Bradley Cooper was a raccoon who had more depth than simply being comic relief while still managing to be completely hilarious and Vin Diesel was a tree who managed to win the heart of most of the audience by repeating the same line the entire movie (with the help of those marvelous Graphic artists and their facial expressions to thank doubly so). I don't think I know of Chris Pratt from anything else but I didn't need to. In fact all of the characters so well disguised by make-up, special effects and good writing managed to be characters rather than actors. I didn't even realize the list of stars in the movie until I IMDB'd it afterward.

So this has got to be either my favourite Marvel film (of the cinematic franchise AKA not X-Men) or at least in the top three. It might be the best movie I've seen this year but I haven't been as active in the cinema as I used to be. Hoping to catch How To Train Your Dragon 2 on DVD and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Hercules and a couple of others in the cinema soon. I just thought I'd share my experience with the film here even though no matter if you'd given it the worst review in the world I'd still have gone to see it because Marvel is the only reason I need before going to see a movie (though it might take a little more than that if they want me to see any more Thor films).
"I'm such a Silverheart fangirl"
Strange
AS of Sahova

Words: 71649
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Scrapbook

Postby Traverse on August 21st, 2014, 2:31 am

StrangeThe movie was simply delightful, I've seen it twice, and wouldn't even be opposed to seeing it once more before it was out of theatres, and now I've read a couple of the comics and I think the movie does a very good job of staying true to the characters. I'm really hoping that them doing a more eclectic Marvel storyline with the success its reception had so far will really make Marvel branch out as they continue to shape hte universe cinematically. Also I learned they're doing an Antman movie with Paul Rudd as Antman! Already stoked for that one too.

Hey guys! Long time no see :). Just got back home from vacation, and the next few days are going to continue to be hectic as I prep for my show, but my activity levels will be rising from absolutely nothing to something at the very least, haha. Before I went to bed though I wanted to throw up a review from a film I saw in a massive mall in Puerto Rico, you may know it as TMNT, but for me there it was Tortugas Ninjas haha, I really liked that title. Anyway without further ado:

A Look At
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Overview: So I want it to be stated before this review commences, that I am not a big fan of Michael Bay. I would label my stance with him and his work as varying levels of dislike, since I can't sum up enough energy to actually hate him, I just don't enjoy most of what he does. I've had this conversation with Gossamer but I absolutely loved the 1st Transfomers movie, despised the two following it, and haven't bothered with this new one, which seemed to have been a wise decision. That being said, as soon as I heard about this movie, regardless of Bay's involvement, I was interested. Mostly because I knew he was the sort of director that would get the funding to have a visually fun and advanced movie, and also the humor level in TMNT seemed to fit his tempo. I have always been a fan of TMNT, but never watched that much TV growing up to a severe lack of channels in rural ME, so my exposure to them was limited. Now in the teens oft he 2000's I can't really bring myself to go back to the 80's to watch the show because I'm a bit of a aesthetic snob, I'd rather see the fancy CGI than claymation or what have you (if its available). This was sort of a rambling mess, but I wanted to throw up my two sides at which I was venturing into this movie with.

Plot: The plot is pretty basic for this film. You get the origin stories of the turtles and Splinter, a tie in with April that I'm hazy on the accuracy of in the original TMNT lore, and basically April discovering the turtles, as well as evil forces discovering them as well. The idea behind this film is that an element in the turtle's blood that made them what they are today is key to Shredder's evil plans to take over the city/world/ etc. You also have the insertion of April's news companion who acts as a human comic relief, and I think those are all the important details haha.

Review: This movie was far better than I expected it to be, and a film I personally want to own on DvD when it comes out, as it is just a fun action packed and humorous ride. The plot is utterly, utterly predictable, and Megan Fox as April I could take or leave, but I didn't despise her performance by any means, I simply found it hilarious that throughout the movie everyone treats her like an idiot (she tries to tell everyone about the turtles without any real photo evidence to hilarious effect), and how unrealistic it would be treating Megan Fox like that in real life. I overall, however, wasn't interested in Megan Fox, or the character April, I was interested in the turtles and Splinter, and there I think they did a wonderful job. All the classic relationships and personalities were established, and I for one didn't mind that Donatello was formed into the super geek, as when you have Raff as the standoffish loner, Leo as the leader, and Mikey as the comic relief, my distant memory always put Donnie in a very hazy undeveloped category among the four brothers, also apparently Johnny Knoxville was the voice of Leonardo and that just blew my mind because I certainly didn't get that at all in the movie, and will have to really listen to him when I see it again. As the movie progresses you get a real and satisfying repore among the four of them, which is also sort of the theme of the whole dang show/series. I also really enjoyed Splinter, who is at times very serious, but also comes in with humor and wit that one would need in dealing with four teenage sons (who are also mutant ninjas). Also Will Arnett plays the human comic relief and Megan Fox's coworker, I could also take or leave him, though he did have some semi humorous moments.

The action sequences were simply fantastic. All the turtle action was well choreographed, visually stunning, and simply fun to watch. My only critique would have to be with Shredder who just looked like a suped up version of the old shredder with edward scissorhand weapons. There is a cool fight between him and Splinter that I thoroughly enjoyed, but I wasn't overly impressed with what they did with the main big baddy of this franchise in this re-vamp.

I haven't read up on the reception of the movie so far, but if I had to bet money on whether or not Michael Bay was going to make a sequel I would bet he's going to. The only thing I would want from a follow up is the introduction of Casey, if that happened I would be more than content seeing a film of this caliber again, and hopefully without Bay veering off like he did with Transformers. One can only hope.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on September 12th, 2014, 3:39 pm

An Apology

A lot of STs have come and gone in the time I've been on Mizahar, which compared to some veteren PCs, ST's and Founders, is not as long as some. I've heard stories and complaints of ST's in the past showing favoritism to PCs, and seen it for my own eyes as well. Giving them sweet items with almost no work involved, helping them get Gnosis marks with little to no effort, grading bias's, the list goes on. It was always this despicable thing to me, probably the lowest thing you could do as an ST, using your power to help your friends and not simply everyone in your domain equally.

An apology before the apologies kick in, I've never done this sort of thing before, I'll probably carry on for quite a while here trying to shape my thoughts correctly into this scrap post.

I was very nervous about this Fall, both for the receiving of the Iyvess plotlines and Falyndar's regional quest, both things I've never before attempted. The former, from what I can tell, has been received wonderfully and is going great. The latter, and why I'm writing this whole thing in the first place, is off the table indefinitely.

Ever since I knew the basest amount of lore of the hatred between the Dhani of Zinrah and the Myrians of Taloba I have loved the idea of a quest line involving that final purge, the eradication of Zinrah, the devastation that follows. There is such a rich and wonderful place to be explored as surviving Dhani are forced to find new homes, the death that will happen when these two forces finally clash, very much like a 300 scenario in a lot of ways, and this great idea of what happens afterward.

So to have a PC willing to devote the time and energy to get the sparks of war flying tickled my fancy. I've been plotting for I don't even know how many seasons to get this thing off the ground, but in that plotting a whole skew of things went wrong. Firstly the sheer amount of planning that took place. I usually don't like planning plots too much, in a way they're always going to go a different way, at least a bit from what you've plotted, but it seemed necessary for a regional wide quest. That wasn't really the issue, however, the issue was that a lot of this planning took place with the individual whose PC was involved. For the life of me I couldn't explain why, hindsight being 20/20 and all that it seemed necessary at the time, and now just seems pretty gosh darn stupid. The other major issue was a single, super rare, super powerful magic, that for some reason I did not double check the PC had knowledge of beforehand, and once it was called into question, they simply did not, and it was basically the loose thread that unwound this entire quest. A single thread that with a moment of checking I could have tidied up and the quest could have continued completely unscathed, and that is entirely my fault.

I realize I've written all of this, and haven't actually gotten around to apologizing in any way shape or form. Firstly I'd like to apologize to the players who signed up for the quest, I mean what a bummer to get this plot line and then right before it actually commences, just have it taken away from you. New calendars should be up in Taloba and Zinrah now (or soon), and I know they won't compare to what was going to happen, but I hope we can still have a lot of fun this season. I also want to apologize to Voodoo, who was dragged into this plot line not knowing everything that was going on, and basically just relying on me as the RS to know what I was doing, and I'm so sorry for letting you down, because I really did, and you didn't deserve that. I would also like to apologize to Gossamer, and Gillar, because we could have avoided this whole debacle if I'd just been more communicative with the founders about the quest line in the first place.

And lastly, but most importantly I wanted to apologize to the entirety of the player base and to everyone who saw what was happening and got rightfully angry, upset, or questioned it, you weren't wrong in doing so, and I can't really express in words how completely devastated I am to have to type this out, that in some way I've played a part in however big or small a way in something I have always despised.

I've let you guys down, and for that I am so sorry,

-Alex
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kaliope on September 12th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Hey! Don't beat yourself up too much. I know it sucks to have this weight on your shoulders but EVERYONE makes mistakes, big and small. Just be thankful this is happening now instead of when the event was in full swing. Players can replan a season easy as pie. I'm sure that, in the future, you'll be able to plan a quest like this again and it'll be 10x better because you'll be more prepared-

I really suck at these. Anyway. Don't beat yourself up too much. You're an amazing mod and I'm sure you have many more amazing things in store for us.
Kaliope
Future and Flame

Words: 14572
Joined roleplay: September 9th, 2014, 2:25 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet

Postby Marionette on September 13th, 2014, 12:27 am

We all make mistakes.

I truly want to tell you that no matter what, I think you are still a fantastic RS. As someone who has played in your region for a few seasons now, I can honestly say that it is my favorite place, not only because of the sheer amount of love and effort that goes into it, but also because you have never ceased to make me feel welcome and engaged. Whether or not this quest went anywhere did not dictate where Kol was going. That was no question. He would stay and be in Taloba, even if it was turned into ashes, or not. Because to me, what was already there was what I loved. How can I be upset when what I have is still so amazing?

I am a true Myrian fanatic, and you helped form that loyalty. I love Falyndar, and that's because of you. I know that you may have feel like you've lost time and effort, and for that I'm sorry. I just want you to know that even when you feel like you have failed, I support you.
Marionette
Retired Staff

Words: 35074
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2014, 5:02 am
Office

Postby Gossamer on September 13th, 2014, 12:30 am

I know I've already said this personally to you but I wanted it public knowledge too.

In your situation, I probably would have done very little differently either. Part of that comes from not having much of an interest in that group of world magics (and thus not much understanding), and part of that comes from the fact that I trust other staffers to do the right thing always and forget they can make mistakes or get caught up in things as well. We are all only human.

You are an amazing part of this game and without you I'd be utterly lost.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Traverse on September 15th, 2014, 2:09 am

Thank you guys so much for the words, I really appreciate them, and just writing things out and getting everything on the table has made me feel immensely better. I also got a few supportive PMs, and I'd like to thank those people as well for those, it simply reminds me why I love Mizahar and the wonderful community behind it so much.

The sappy stuff will be over soon and I'll be back to movie reviews soon, I have a lot for you guys :)

Many hugs n' things,

-Traverse
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 15th, 2014, 2:18 am

I have two Movie Review Requests.

#1 Ladyhawk
#2 Legend

The first one is my all time favorite movie ever. Nivar still takes my breath away and hes my inspiration for the Akalak Leadership. Legend, I just love because of all the wacky characters and because the Satan was so deliciously done. Tom Cruise was in the second one, but it was before he turned so crazy. Most of the young folks on here haven't seen these classics. You might want to review them your way if you ever get a chance.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext