Completed A Squire's First Lesson

Ryia patrols the market for the first time

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 1st, 2013, 8:34 pm

Time stamp - Winter 1st 513 VA

The large, indoor market known as the Great Bazaar was busy this time of years as it was normally. The people of the city were glad to evade the cooling winds for the warmth of the castle. Mid sized heaths were stationed through out the Bazaar to keep the place comfortable while the people shopped. There were also heated areas outside of the Bazaar so the whole area even to the stairs were warm and toasty. The Bazaar was packed this day, every vendor looking to make coin had already settled in and taken up all of the booth spaces.

Tables were filled with food, furs, herbs, books, ceramics and the like. To the further areas there were less tables, but in it's place stood furniture of all sorts. Many of the items were the normal kind one would find in the homes in the city, but others were more rare and costly. Some of the items were very large, and it wouldn't be easy to fit inside the smaller homes, but that wasn't the vendors problem. There were also other rare and costly items to purchase, magical items that were hard to come by season to season.

It was the season of winter and the Great Bazaar pulled out all the stocks to make as much coin as they possibly could. Besides the shoppers the Knights and Squires of the Order were also out. Patrols were out through the city and into the fields as well. The soft clanking of armor was more subtle given that all were used to it, and it became a normal sound in the background. Three figures headed down the stairs leading into the indoor market, all with bright blonde hair, dressed in full plate armor and walking with a purpose.

They were the Brock sister's, who patrolled the inside of the city always, but changed places upon rotation. Dimia, the second oldest of the three walked shoulder to shoulder with Ryia, the youngest Brock. Helena walked behind them, she was the oldest and patron Knight to her younger sisters. She was a strict teacher for her siblings, but she did it to better them in their quest to become Knights. It was always a sight to see when the three entered, and it seemed that they always traveled together whenever they were seen in the city.

They walked into the Bazaar, passing the tables close to the entrance, before pausing closer to the center of the room. Dimia and Ryia turned to face their elder sister and patron and waited her orders. "Alright, Dimia you know the drill, but I'll say it again for Ryia since this is her first patrol. When patrolling the Bazaar always keep your eyes open and your ears up. We don't get many big crimes here, but pick pockets and thieves do lurk about. Just pace yourself and stay on your toes, we've got a long day ahead of us."

Dimia smiled and lightly tapped Ryia's shoulder as she winked to her . "This is the perfect time to window shop, and find anything you might want to claim now and come back and pick up later." Ryia offered her sister a weak smile and nodded, it was like Dimia to think of shopping, but Ryia was far too nervous to think of anything. "You can shop later, for now you work. Get moving." Helena interrupted, giving them both a glare.

Last edited by Ryia Brock on December 11th, 2013, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryia Brock
The Next Mage Knight - Believe it

Words: 59648
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 7:31 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 2nd, 2013, 7:13 am

Ryia and Dimia were used to Helena's strict ways and had in the past, made jokes about them. But now was not the time for such acts. Helena was their patron, their teacher and it was for this reason that the girl's nodded and did as they were told. Dimia had been a squire for a short time already and was used to the patrol. No patron seemed to apply the same style and methods with the job, but Squires knew to mimic their teachers and so she did. Ryia turned to look at Dimia to see which way she was headed, and moved in the opposite direction.

Helena stood proudly as she watched them separate into the huge room. They were good girls, though not as focused as she was at their age. It was due to their father's training, when Helena had been born he had put everything he had into getting her ready. She showed exception which made him very proud, and by the time Dimia and Ryia were old enough to start, the old man had started to slack off. "I'll come back here in a bell to check on you both. Don't leave from the Bazaar, and keep your wits about you." It was obvious who the words were meant for, as was the slightly worried glance before she turned and left.

The young Knight was strict with them, but it was for the best. She might not readily admit it, but she was proud of her sisters, and the choices that they made. They looked the part, both with well dressed hair, and spotless armor that Ryia and Dimia took care to shine along with that of Helena's. They were half way there, now came the part where they had to show what they were made of, and see if they can hold up the family name. Helena had mentally stated that she wouldn't, but the woman found herself standing in the entrance to the Bazaar.

Her concern was mostly for Ryia, and she wondered if it was a good idea to leave the two alone. Dimia was coming along as a squire, but the teenager still had far to go. The past event that had caused young Ryia to hide inside herself seemed like it had just happened. It hadn't, the girl had been well for seasons, however there were some in the family that thought she joined the order too soon after her ordeal. Helena would stand there for several chimes before she finally decided to return to her duties.

Ryia hadn't noticed this, and was too busy trying to keep her eyes open. It was a funny thing, seeming as if when trying so hard to do something, one ends up doing the opposite of what they were supposed to. The young squire walked slowly through the large store, she was still getting used to wearing armor, and this particular set was heavy. Squires were trained in full plate armor first instead of starting with lighter armor. It was a tactic to make them stronger and faster and had worked well over the ages. The teenager felt stiff as a board, and as heavy as a horse, but she wouldn't complain aloud.

Like her sister's Ryia had wanted this, and had even made a bold move to secure her place as a squire. Heavy armor aside, the girl was nervous and it felt as if all eyes were watching her. People smiled and waved, others just stared, and then there were those that ignored her completely. It didn't bother her though, and she chose to keep moving around after so long to keep an eye on every stall and table. Dimia wasn't as worried, but she did glance towards her sister every so often to see how she was doing. For her, it was just going to be a long boring day.

Ryia Brock

Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 2nd, 2013, 9:47 pm

Walking around the Bazaar, it was hard to continuious be on the look out with so much in stock to buy. Each and every table was filled with items and the vendors had taken care to clean them and arrange them in a way that would be pleasing to the eye. Ryia didn't do a lot of shopping and that didn't mean that her eyes didn't find things that she would like to buy, even if she didn't intend too. The furniture especially looked comfortable, large chairs and small couches made for two. She could easily envision herself taking off the heavy armor and boots and relaxing on the couch for bells.

There was also the food that she smelled, and she now realized that she should have eaten before she left the dorms. Ryia normally ate and she wasn't usually so forgetful, but she was running late. It took her longer than she would have thought to be dressed in her armor, and that was the time she would have used to take in a meal. The food smelled great and her stomach growled in protest of the neglect it had suffered. It wasn't on purpose and she didn't even realize that she was doing it, but Ryia stayed around the food booths a bit longer than she should have.

One of the vendors noticed and waved the teenager over. She was an older woman who was in the business of selling meats with bread. She had her tables set up with the different breads on one side and the cooked meats on the other. In the middle, she had created sandwiches out of the different breads and meats for people to try. There were beefs, chicken, and pork. Some laced with a honeyed glaze, or another type of sauce. Ryia headed over to speak with the woman and the smell of the fresh foods only make her stomach growl more.

"You look like you could use a bite." the woman said with a smile. She stared at the squire a moment, her appearance seeming familiar. "Well met young squire. What is your name?"

"Good day to you Ma'am. My name is Ryia, Ryia Brock." she replied, looking from the woman to her meats and bread on the tables. "Everything looks so good. Your business must be going well?"

"Oh I can't complain." The woman said and pushed a tray towards Ryia. "There, try this. Hard working girls like you need to keep your strength up. So another Brock, your family is well known and a strong name at that. Must be exciting?"

Ryia smiled and accepted the sandwich on the table. The smell was sweet, and she could even feel the warmth through her gloved hands. "Thank you for this. My sisters are the more experienced ones. But I think I will like being in the Order. " She took small bites and was quickly taken in by the flavor. It was possibly due to her already being hungry, but it was one of the best meals she could remember having. "This is very good. I taste something here. Spices or?"

Ryia Brock

Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 3rd, 2013, 9:21 pm

Ryia stood and talked with the woman for several chimes without even realizing how long she had been standing in one place.But others noticed and suddenly they too became interested. "Hey young lady, would you like a new fur coat? Best fur in the city right here." one man said holding up a shiny black fur. "You there little miss. Looking for another weapon to carry that is light and flexible? Got it right here."

Soon she was being called here and there, and Ryia was a bit overwhelmed with all the attention. The young squire hadn't expected this and wasn't sure who to speak too first. She figured it was best to speak with them one at a time, going by who had called her first. That was if she could remember which vendor that was. Dimia was walking the isles on the other side and didn't see what was happening...but someone else did.

Helena had returned early from her errand and not a moment too soon. The young Knight stormed towards her little sister and squire, and grabbed her shoulder to spin her around. "What's going on? I instructed you to watch out not to window shop."

Her tone was serious, and the glare in her eyes told pages about how she felt about the situation. Ryia shook of her nervousness and tried to address her thoughts. "I wasn't Helena. I did as you told me. This kind woman offered me a sample that is all. Afterwards..others started to call me. Vendors wanting to sell their crafts in all, but I was on the look out. "

Helena frowned, her featured contorting in a way that caused Ryia's eyes to widen, and her mouth to fall open. The Knight grabbed her squire by both shoulders and pulled her away from the vendors quick and roughly. "Helena. What have I done?" the teenager asked startled.

"First thing Ryia, you are my squire. You are to address me as Sera when we are in uniform, not Helena. Second, are you so naive that you don't see what's happening here?" Ryia just stared dumbfounded at her elder sister, unsure of what she was supposed to say. Rolling her eyes, Helena sighed and started again. "There is a reason they were all so happy to call you to their stalls. Listen my sister, when you are here you can not give anyone more attention than the others."

Ryia shook her head in protest, bold green eyes growing wider as she fought the insinuation with all that she could muster. "Tis not true. I wouldn't do such a thing. Honest."

Helena grabbed the teenager by one shoulder and cupped her check with her other hand. "Wake up Ryia. Can you still not see it? Consulting with a vendor makes their business grow. Not only that but it looks like you're watching their stock more carefully than others. Think about it, which stall will get less trouble, the one with the lone vendor, or the one with a squire standing beside it?"

It only took a moment before the realization came over her, and Ryia knew then what a fool she had been. "By the Gods...I was tricked."

Ryia Brock

Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 7th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Helena drew her little sister in closer and spoke to her in a more hushed tone. "Listen Ryia, you may not be a Knight yet, but you still hold some authority and you must make sure that it isn't abused by you or anyone else." Ryia looked back to the woman that she had been talking with, and noticed that she wasn't looking their way. The others that had called her had also averted their eyes.

"I didn't realize something so simple could be so misunderstood. I know better now, and it won't happen again. I was just hungry..didn't eat this morning, and when she offered the sample...I guess I wasn't thinking."

Helena placed a hand on her hip and nodded her head. Instead of saying more, the young Knight walked passed her sibling and moved to the stall that she had stood by and took a sandwich from the table. The woman mining the stall just nodded and said nothing else, already she felt that she was in trouble, or at least in bad standing with the Knight. Helena returned to Ryia and gave her the sandwich with a word of advise.

"I think it best that you rise earlier from now on. I saw the trouble you had getting dressed and I suspect that was the reason you missed your meal this morning?"

Ryia nodded, taking the sandwich and holding it in her hands. She wanted so much to impress her eldest sister and prove that she could be a good Knight, however she wasn't getting off to a good start. "I'll see to it Hel..I mean Sera." It really was going to take time getting used to the change when she'd been calling her by her first name since she learned to speak.

Helena nodded, and almost stretched her lips enough for a smile. "See that you do. I'll be off again, but not for long. When I return, we will finish up here and move on." Ryia nodded, having a mouth full of food, it wasn't polite to speak, and she was really enjoying it as well. After her sister left for the second time, Ryia started to walk again, making quick work of devouring the sandwich, then placed her focus back on the job. Things were quiet from that point on, the young squire carried a harder stare now that she realized her trusting nature was getting her into trouble.

She patrolled the area and spotted a small child crying by the entrance. No one else seemed to be with him. The child's clothing was of the poorer standard, and his hair was cut short for easy care. Ryia moved towards the entrance, looking for someone that might be with the child, before she would move in to ask him herself. "Excuse boy, what troubles you?"

The child sniffed, small fingers pulling and fumbling with the tail end of his tunic. " I-I'm lost. I can't find my Nana."

Ryia Brock

Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 8th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Ryia stood up and looked around, she didn't see why a person would leave their child alone if they were going to be gone a while. Or why they would bring their child along if they weren't going to watch them. It was so easy for people to get lost in the city dealing with the mountain of people around. "Boy, what is your name? Who are your parents?" she asked, leaning down to speak with him.

The boy sniffed and wiped his eyes, at first he didn't speak, but after looking into the eyes of the squire, he started to. "My name is Yoran and my parents are gone. I live with Mistress Aenysa at the Orphanage." Ryia stood up, a thoughtful look spreading across her features. "Did you come here with Mistress Aenysa?"

Yoren nodded and started to point around as he spoke, causing Ryia's eyes to dart about as she looked for someone he might be pointing to. "We all came together, me and a few other kids. But I can't find them, and I can't find Mistress Aenysa." The boy started to cry again, and it seemed that at any moment he would burst into tears. "Dry your tears Yoran, I'm sure we can find the others." She leaned down and gently hugged the boy, hoping to calm his fear.

The boy hugged her back, small hands moving over the armor plate at her shoulders, before he reached up to touch her hair. Ryia smiled and lightly patted the boy on the top of his head. "See, you will be fine Yoren. My name is Ryia by the way. Now come, let's find your family." Taking his hand, Ryia started to look around for the best place to start her search. It seemed best to first ask anyone around if they saw who the boy came with.

"Excuse me kind sir, but did you happen to see who this young boy arrived here with?" she asked to the closest vendor to the entrance. The man nodded and waved his hand. " Aye, they left towards the music shop down the way." They had a heading now, but the problem was, she would have to leave the market to get there.

Ryia Brock

Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Ryia Brock on December 11th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Ryia stood in silent contemplation. The music shop was all the way in the Nettle District. It wasn't a terribly long way to walk, but she was worried that she would be gone too long, and that Helena would be angry. She had to do something, and the longer she waited, the further away the boy's caretaker would go. She thought to stand there and wait them out. Eventually they would realize they were missing a child and go looking for him.

But that could take a very long time depending when they realized he was gone. With that idea, they may have visited several places and he could be lost in any one of them. Ryia knew she had to act, and the squire could feel it in her bones. "Come along Yoran, we have a bit of a stroll to take." She nodded her thanks for the information and headed out of the entrance.

They left the basement area of the castle in the Dyres District and moved up a Tier to reach the main level. From there they moved on heading for the Nettle District closer to the main gates. They had a ways to travel, and Ryia looked around as they moved, scanning the area for anyone who might have recognized the boy, just in case his caretaker had left the music shop and was out searching for him. She wouldn't be so luckily on this day and so the teenager continued on her path to the music shop.

Yoran had started to feel tired, and the little boy shuffled his feet and complained. "My legs hurt and I'm tired. Can you carry me Ms. Ryia?" The squire turned, her green eyes widen in mild surprise. She realized they had been walking for chimes, but she didn't think the boy would be so tired. But he was a small child with tiny legs and the length of the walk must have seemed a lot further for him. Ryia was also feeling a tad bit warn, the armor she wore was heavy and wearing it for and extended amount of time didn't make it any less a burden.

"Alright Yoran, but let us not tarry. Your family must be searching for you by now." She turned her back to him and settled on one knee to allow the boy to climb her back. Yoren latched on, all but leaping onto her back which caused the girl to huff from the extra weight. "Are you ready? Hold on tight now." Reaching for his legs that were pressing into her hips, Ryia stood up and moved along again. The boy seemed much happier now and he started to hum a tune that she wasn't all that familiar with.

They reached the music shop and the moment she stepped inside a yell reached across the ceiling, and Ryia turned to see a woman with reddish hair scrambling towards her. " Yoran, there you are. Why I was looking all over for you!" the woman said as she came closer. Kneeling down again, Ryia let the boy bounce off her back and into the arms of the woman. "Well that's a relief. You see Yoran, I told you it would work out just fine." Smiling the boy blew the squire a kiss and hugged the woman that now held him. "Thank you for bringing him Sera. I was worried sick."

Ryia smiled and said nothing more. She thought to ask how the woman had lost the boy, but that didn't matter. They were back together now and that was all that mattered. Turning to leave she waved to them a last time and moved through the exit. She hoped to get back to her station before Helena arrived again.

Ryia Brock

Character sheet

A Squire's First Lesson

Postby Radiant on December 23rd, 2013, 9:41 am

Ryia :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +3 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Leadership +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
The Great Bazaar Is Crowded
Social: How To Not Be Tricked By Merchants
Yoren: Orphan

Loots
+4 Shield Points

Notes :
Awww, this is such a sweet thread! :D

I gave Ryia shield points for doing the commendable act of patrolling and helping people in the city.

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)