Location [Alvadas Location] The Sanity Center

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas Location] The Sanity Center

Postby Tapestry on January 1st, 2014, 12:16 am

e
From beneath the desk the nest of unruly hair that was Serenity rose up at the sound of the tone. Peeking over the top of the desk, her right eyebrow raised quizzically before she found her seat, placing a book on the desk that she had evidently found beneath.

"Oh!" She said, blowing a strand of hair from her face, "Terribly sorry, I was..." She trailed off as if not quite sure how to describe what she was doing, "I was...getting this book," she finished, making a face, "Anyways, that's not why you're here."

She pulled another book from beside her and put it on top of the other, opening it up to several lines filled with names of all sorts.

Taking an inkwell and a quill, she poised over the page.

"New to Alvadas, I take it?" She asked with a friendly smile, "We'll start with your name and go from there, shall we?"

e
Moderated threads 1/3

PM me! Let's talk plots.
Tapestry
Let me Weave you a Tale

Words: 60922
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 7:45 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Rowland on January 1st, 2014, 6:09 am

Continued from here: A Season of Change oocI substantially rewrote it to better fit in with the tone of Alvadas

Rowland walked into the Sanity Center and up to Serenity. "Hello. I'm Rowland Curtain Morcer. Hello. Or goodbye. I'm not sure which, actually." He paused for a moment, trying to figure out what he was trying to say. "Actually, I have no idea. I woke up today all sorted, and now I think I may end up going to bed all unsorted. If I go to bed. Not sure if that's on the menu."

As best as he could, Rowland managed to summarize his tale: he had been taking Alvadas for granted, near as best as he could determine it; he had been living a colorless, ordinary and drab life of getting up, going to work and coming up. It wasn't a bad life; he had a cushy sinecure as a mid-level High Listener for the Womiyu, and he had a very nice home.

And then he had a met a girl...

And he realized now that this old life wasn't him. It had been an illusion of sanity in a city of illusions. And it was all gone now. He had lost his key to his old home, and what is more, he realized that he no longer wanted any part of his old life.

"I've decided I want to be a performer. Perhaps a bard or playwright. I've this idea for a tale about a man who sings a duet with his mirror."

Rowland cleared his throat, and started ringing the bell rhythmically after each verse:

"I look in the mirror,
-- here I hang on the wall,
I got it at the Bizarre,
-- bought me in the fall,

And I don't like what I see
-- but it's a handsome face
I'd prefer endless possibility
-- you'd rather be any other race

I look in the mirror
-- at eyes that never change
Always the same color
-- the opposite of strange

-- And he doesn't like what he sees
I would rather see someone new
-- Would rather have a disease
Perhaps an extra nose or two

-- He looks in the mirror
At eyes that never change
-- Always see the same color
They're the opposite of strange."

He shook his head, sighing dramatically. "I admit it's not very good yet. But I am convinced now that entertainment is my path. Perhaps I'll get better with practice. Perhaps not. But I have to try. Even in a land of magic and mystery there is no greater power than the ability to make people laugh and cry with a story or a song."

Rowland burst out laughing. "Perhaps I'll be easier to sort out than most. I know a tiny little bit about Alvadas already, and I know I want to work at a Playhouse. The Crooked Playhouse. Even if I have to start at the bottom, a gopher or production assistant."
Last edited by Rowland on January 3rd, 2014, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
==================================
The Alvadas Circus: Circus Development Thread
Rowland
The man behind the curtain behind the man

Words: 34729
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Resuna on January 1st, 2014, 11:31 am

Eyebrows rose accompanying a rather startled expression as a woman popped up from behind the desk. Or was that from under the desk? Resuna wasn't sure that there was much to be doing underneath a desk, but then again she had never sat behind one herself. Head tilted to the right slightly as her expression turned to one of curiosity.

Her eyes followed the books as they were stacked atop one another, peering curiously at the second. It seems to be filled with a lot of handwritten information. After a moment or two, she realised that the writing appeared to be names. Her gaze flicked to the pen in the woman's hand. It would seem that her name would be the next to fill the page.

Resuna looked up as the woman spoke to her once more. Alvadas... So that was the name of this place. It did not help the Kelvic much to know that, but she was glad she had the information nonetheless. She cleared her throat awkwardly.
"Uh, yes... My name is Resuna." She paused. She didn't really have a last name that she could remember. "Just Resuna."
Resuna
Player

Words: 5752
Joined roleplay: December 22nd, 2013, 12:04 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tapestry on January 7th, 2014, 3:02 pm

e
Rowland

The day had been fairly ordinary so far...well, as ordinary as Alvadas usually was. A royal green had begun to irk at her nerves, bit by bit tearing away the patience she usually had for the ceaseless questions of newcomers. Of course only HER building didn't shimmer and shift around the city, so everyone always seemed to know where to find it.

She found herself wishing she were like the family of Laos Truman, vanished along with the house for three seasons. Whatever happened to them anyways? Something about psychological treatment.

Well...they were alive anyways, so just as well.

She almost didn't notice Rowland, a testament to the weird she had seen to ignore such a garishly dressed fellow. But when he started speaking, she focused on him, frowning.

What?

He rhymed, and Serenity resisted the urge to lay her head down on the desk. Bards always seemed to find their way here, asking about something or another when she always told them to just go out and start doing their thing. She was about to cut him off and say the same when he mentioned the Crooked Playhouse.

So...a stagehand?

"Ah. Well. Yes," She collected herself before continuing, "There may be room at the Crooked Playhouse for you, but chances are there will be more work in the lesser playhouses around Alvadas. Go ahead and go there, the Crooked Playhouse, I mean, tell them Serenity sent you and see if anyone is willing to give you a shot."

Resuna

Serenity nodded at the girl, dipping her pen into the ink and hovering above an open page. "Just Resuna? What a troublesome first name." She waited for the kelvic to chuckle, giggling a little herself before realizing she was the only one laughing. The mirth died in her throat and she cleared it, frowning. "Yes, well, Resuna it is then. So...tell me, Resuna, what is your purpose here in Alvadas? Are you looking for work? What are your skills?"

e
Moderated threads 1/3

PM me! Let's talk plots.
Tapestry
Let me Weave you a Tale

Postby Resuna on January 7th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Resuna's head tilted to the right a little once more. She was not entirely sure what the woman meant. How could a name be troublesome? The woman appeared to find it amusing. The Kelvic blinked. Each to their own she supposed.

Now came the ultimate question. What did she want to do?
"Well...I think I would like to stay here for a long while. So I would need to work to do so." Resuna nodded, more to herself. That was the choice she needed to make. She would stay in this place called Alvadas for as long as she wanted to.

"I know how to hunt. But I'm not sure that I want to do that for money." She paused. "I like the outdoors, plants, nature and things. Maybe there is a place that I can work with those?" She was hopeful.
"But... I will work anywhere that needs help. I am happy to learn whatever I need to."
Resuna
Player

Words: 5752
Joined roleplay: December 22nd, 2013, 12:04 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tapestry on January 15th, 2014, 8:53 pm

e
Nodding absently, Serenity wrote Resuna's name in the ledger, leaving it out to dry. While it did, she tapped a finger against the side of her face, thinking.

"You know," she said with a small smile, "You're the second hunter I've set up this season. The last I sent to the Den, mostly because they're the kind of people who always seem to need a good animal carcass, free of alterations. But...I don't think they'll need two." She stared hard at Resuna, snapping her fingers suddenly, "I've got it! The Wretched Rumor! I had someone here earlier that complained their old hunter disappeared again...no sense in waiting for him to show up, why don't I send you over there to meet the owner? I'm sure you two could work out some sort of deal."

The smile dropped off her face suddenly, and she worried at her bottom lip. "Oh...well, there is one thing. Have you ever hurt someone before? Erm...shed blood, I mean?"

e
Moderated threads 1/3

PM me! Let's talk plots.
Tapestry
Let me Weave you a Tale

Postby Shiloh Walker on January 23rd, 2014, 10:53 am

| | | | | Shiloh | | | | | Other | | | | |

The first day of winter, 513 A.V.

It had taken most of the morning to find his way over the Center. With a combination of getting lost and finding a myriad of distractions, Shiloh had managed to finally arrive in front of Alvadas's one and only grounded building. He'd always wondered why it was like it was. There were too many different answers on the matter, as was much of the answers regarding Alvadas and its peculiarities. Today, however, he was on a particular sort of mission. He'd been having a difficult time finding work the last season and was getting low on money. Though not obsessed with the stuff as some people were apt to be, Shiloh had an appreciation for what it could buy, namely food.

Sliding in through the doors, Shiloh drifted across the floor, his curious eyes slowly panning across the many shelves filled with even more books and papers and knicknacks. A wisp of a smile played about his lips, savoring the slightly musty smell of the many pages that populated the from room of the center. As his foot caught on the floor, Shiloh stumbled forward, catching himself on the desk in front of him and letting out a worried, "
Oh!" as he fell. The desk, sturdy as the building it resided in, stood firm, allowing him to ease himself to his knees.

Not bothering to stand up, Shiloh's attention was grabbed by the shiny little bell to his right. Raising an arm up an over, he flicked the metal, letting the sharp, melodic tone ring throughout the building. Grinning now, Shiloh gently tapped it, letting the softer sounds float around the room like little butterflies. "
Butterflies..." He muttered, as he leaned his face down on the desk, getting comfortable for however long it would take for Serenity to pop out of the back room.

Shiloh Walker
Player

Words: 21273
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2014, 11:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Velkano on January 28th, 2014, 11:07 pm

3th of Winter, 513 AV

A well-groomed Symenestra entered the building, with a pleasant if not obsequious smile one would be expected to carry for a job interview. Velkano had indeed come to seek help with employment. He was dressed in immaculate attire, as was his wont, despite its drastic contrast to what one might associate with the traditional image of his profession—a spiritist.

He had been here on many occasions before, especially when he had been new to the city, the Sanity Center had played a pivotal role in his personal navigation experience. Things had not changed much since his last visit, and he caught Serenity busy at her desk, tending her paperwork, as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary. A brief relief from the insanity that was going on outside.

"Good day, Miss Serenity!" said the spiderling, grinning, "I've come to trouble you again." He would go on with the right indication from that woman, "This time I have a job-related issue. As you may or may not have already known, I am a spirit guide, and a rather competent one at that. Since I cannot afford a shop, I have been plying my trade on the streets ever since I first came here. But without a pre-established reputation, my venture has not been particularly successful. And it doesn't help that Lord Ionu is very indriscriminate when it comes to dispensing 'gifts'. I am not complaining; but the streets are always changing, and even my regular customers have a very hard time at finding me. Needless to say, I will run into deep trouble soon, if I don't do anything about it."

With a bit of hesitation, the soft-spoken man added, "So I am wondering if you might know a spiritist of good repute, who has an established business that he or she might need help running. I have had no luck in locating any shop like that, but you might know one that I don't. Also, I have heard rumours that Alvadas has a family with deep roots in this industry. I might have heard wrong, but do you, perchance, know who they are and if they are hiring? It will help tremendously."
Velkano
Player

Words: 6198
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 8:16 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Looty on February 4th, 2014, 12:33 am

Date: 4th of Winter, 513A/V
Time: Midday

People spilled from the streets. They darted around, moving fluidly around each other, missing the cracks that could send them tumbling, and going about their business heedless of their new occupant.

To the side of them sat a building. Small, moss covered, Looty stared at it silently. Bright red words eluded her. To her left the street and it's people vanished. Looty snarled at the threat. She backed towards the building. The door opened. Looty entered.

The Kelvic squeaked again. The room was cluttered paper, books, trinkets, knickknacks. From wall to wall dust clouded her sense of smell. Looty surveyed the room. She spotted a woman.

"Why is your room so messy? It smells like dust. I'm lost. The sailor said to go to the wall. But I dunno what for."
Looty
Lost Kelvic

Words: 18479
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2014, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tapestry on February 20th, 2014, 4:29 pm

e
Shiloh:

She was only a moment, rubbing her eyes as she tried to get the green out of them. Just like Alvadas to turn brilliant emerald in the space of a day. Now everything seemed too vibrant, aggravating her mood. But when she stepped behind the desk, something about the young man in front of her ebbed at that growing annoyance.

He seemed wholesome, in an unexpected way, smiling and innocent. Serenity was used to seeing sailors and rough types, but this one...

"Yes? Yes?" Her hands plied at her hair in some vain attempt to fix it, finally falling to the desk, one beside the other. "My name is Serenity...I run the Sanity Center here in Alvadas. Do you...need help with anything?"

Velkano:

Serenity looked up at Velkano with a straight face, subtly sliding away the word puzzle she had been working on so diligently. Not that she should have felt guilty, certainly the Sanity Center was one, if not the only, location that helped the wayward find their place in Alvadas. Was she not entitled to a little fun herself?

Shaking the thought from her head she nodded, tapping a finger alongside her temple as if trying to shake free a thought.

"Oh, yes. The Farr siblings." She almost frowned, thought better of it, and smiled instead, "I can't really tell you where to find them, obviously...but they run a shop called Phantasm. Look for it, or ask folks to find it for you...they're the only spiritists of repute in the city."

(If you start another thread, I'll respond right away to get you set up for your job)

Looty:

Serenity peered at the girl from across her desk, hold her head in her hands with bow elbows planted firmly on the desk.

"My aren't you a curious one," She said, crooking a finger at Looty to approach, "First time in Alvadas?"

Smiling, she stood straight, bent, and placed a small book on the counter, "Let me help you out. What are you trying to find?"

e
Moderated threads 1/3

PM me! Let's talk plots.
Tapestry
Let me Weave you a Tale

PreviousNext