Completed Frost Hawks and Spiritism

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Frost Hawks and Spiritism

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on January 4th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Spirit was not the best with broken bones, so watched carefully as Lusina bound the bird's wing. The Charoda brought up something about coral, which sounded quite strange. From what she knew about the ocean stuff... it grew really slowly. Why would the way it grew matter? Even bones grew faster than coral. And usually bodies liked to re-grow in the way they were supposed to... right? That made the most sense, at least. She frowned to herself, still trying to work that out. Lusina came up with a logical explanation, however, and the other woman seemed to understand.

The older Frostfawn finally gave her an instruction and she nodded, slipping from her place to loot the bottle and extra cloth from all the other supplies her boss had brought. She doused the cloth in what seemed like enough and gingerly held it over the bird's beak... was that how you did it with birds? Their nostrils were near it anyways, weren't they? Still, it seemed to work, as the Frosthawk slowly grew limp. She returned the two items to their places and came back just in time to listen carefully to another of Lusina's explanations and demonstrations.

The whole concept of keeping fluids in the bird was strange, but smart... she'd never considered it before. It was an ingenious way to keep things working. However, now it was time to pick up the hawk, and she grabbed her spot firmly in both hands, marveling at the creature's size. It took all three of them to heave it up easily - how had the Charoda managed? - but it wasn't as heavy as it first looked... but the bird was still big. They slowly edged the Frosthawk through passages and into one of the attached workrooms... the purpose of this one was as an infirmary. They lifted the hawk into a large cage and moved back, where Lusina gave more instructions then left.

Spirit stared at the bird blankly for several moments, until the Charoda woke her up. "Hm? Oh, thanks... no problem. I guess it's kinda my job to help animals and Lusina..." She shrugged, eyeing the odd woman again, still amazed at her appearance. "I have no idea what will happen... I just learned more in those few chimes about birds than I ever knew... other than basic anatomy, of course. And that's just 'it's a wing' and so forth."

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Una Tanta on January 4th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Una nodded halfheartedly as Spirit spoke. "Well...I guess we wait." Sitting down Una leaned against the wall watching the unmoving bird. The hours slide past like the ocean moved an unresponsive shell across the sea floor, slowly and with infinite patience. Una never felt harried by time she simply stood and was still. The ocean was not nearly the rapid and radically changing environment of land and her mentality reflected this.

By the time the bird stirred the moon was certainly high in the sky. Una crept forward to watch. It rose like a creature from the ashes. Stumbling blindly, it's head cocked at an odd angle as if it couldn't lift it. Wincing as the bird stumbled and fell his wings buckling in odd directions and angles. He moved in an awkward dance half senseless before laying sprawled at a different angle on the other side of the cage. Moving quietly Una found a metal tin and filled it with cold water. Gently pushing it under the mesh grating for the creature.

Gently nudging Spirit Una watched the bird anxiously, "Do you think it'll hurt itself?" She murmured, not wanting to scare it with her voice. Before Spirit could answer a woman stepped out of the shadows. Una didn't recognize the woman and her eyes were too blurry with exhaustion to bother trying to look at her, "You two should get to bed, I'll watch the beast." Despite her inclination to stay sleep tugged at Una dragging her into it's depths. "Spirit dear, you've done enough for this dear bird, how about you take care of this dear creature now?" The woman encouraged, not moving from the doorway.

She was exquisite in Una's eyes, perhaps that was the blindfold of exhaustion or the relief at the thought of rest but Una shuffled out of the door willingly glancing at Spirit hopefully. She was too exhausted to trudge back to the warrens alone. Perhaps the girl would help her, or offer her a stay in her own room. Blinkered by exhaustion Una didn't remember her mention the numerous dogs and thought with sigh, how wonderful it would be to stay in the hold surrounded by others. "Could I stay?" She murmured to Spirit to asleep to worry about niceties or manners.

OOCI haven't heard back yet about the PC so I just made it not obvious here and if I get permission she can visit them with news and instructions on the bird in the morning and if not then I will make it a random Vantha that is helping out to give them instructions ;p. I thought they could fall asleep together and when they wake up Una, reinvigorated, meets the puppy and he comes with them while they get the instructions to care for the bird in the morning and Una falls head over heels for him. That okay?
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on January 16th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Spirit slid to the floor when they came to the conclusion to wait, leaning against the brazier that sat in the middle of the room… it couldn’t melt the walls, there. She sighed a little, wondering how the bird was doing… sleeping? Or just exhausted? Normally it looked like the same thing in animals. And usually they hid their pain and sickness, making them more annoying to diagnose than humans. For what she’d noticed, at least.

“So….” She began, glancing over at the Charoda. “You know my name, what’s yours? You just told me your race.” She wanted to stop calling the woman ‘Charoda’ or ‘Whale woman’ or something like that. The skin was still a little disturbing, but she got over it. Still… it was tempting just to try and poke it… just… once. See if it felt like beluga-skin as much as it looked like it. But that would be rude, since… well… you couldn’t just poke someone for seemingly no reason, as much as she [had a reason. It just wasn’t a very good one.

She contemplated asking permission, with the hope that the Charoda would actually say yes, when someone else entered the room. She had to crane her head to see them, but their voice was vaguely familiar. Probably someone she knew, but just not off the tip of her tongue. They suggested going to sleep, offering to keep an eye on the Frosthawk for them. It took her a bit to figure out the second beast mentioned, then remembered Una.

“Stay? Oh. Right. Yes! Sure. Come with me…” She pushed herself up, obviously more awake than her companion. She could have stayed up later and longer, but… well, this Charoda needed sleep. She could always keep an eye on the puppies. Kaden had slipped out again, which was a little saddening… but it also meant she had an extra bed to spare. She waved for the woman to follow, before setting off down the passages to her own room.

Once there, she walked in and was stopped by a wall of dogs. “Shoo. Go away. We have a visitor,” she told them, waving with her hands and pushing them backwards gently. Most of them sat at the push, but at least it cleared a lot of space. “Here… I have an extra bed,” – Kaden’s bed- “You can use that.” She pointed at the one furthest from the door… her own was closer, and currently had a dog on it. Spotting the canine, she stormed up with a scowl on her face.

“Off,” she ordered sternly, pushing Icicle off and onto the floor. He resisted for a bit, then slid off with a sorrowful expression. He was good at those. When she took a seat there, he began licking her hand… maybe there was some blood on it. She only settled herself down once the Charoda was comfortable and sleeping, wanting to make sure no dogs bothered the odd woman.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Una Tanta on January 20th, 2014, 1:36 am

“So….” The Vantha leaded glancing at her curiously “You know my name, what’s yours? You just told me your race.” Una blinked surprised, few wanted to know her name. What she was was usually the goal, "Una," She replied too startled to say more.

When they finally retired to Spirits room Una was ready to tumble into the sheets immediately. Staring alarmed at the wall of dogs that greeted them with muted barks of excitement and wagging tales Una took a step back, "Uhm..." As the Vantha got them under control Una walked in slowly almost tumbling over the larger of them. Wind gazed up at her tongue extended and woofed quietly.

Squeaking with alarm as she tottered toward the bed trying to avoid the panting pups she finally tumbled into bed. Squealing and snapping with surprise a dog bolted from the covers shocked awake. Once realizing he was in no danger he tottered off the bed at Spirits orders.

Una smiled weakly at Spirit still overwhelmed but lay her head down pulling the extremely soft covers over her delicate skin. "These are all yours? How do you control them all?" Una asked gazing as the older one wandered the room before finding a corner to curl up in, running his tongue over his legs. The others were all piled at Spirits feet batting for her attention.

Several of them tried to jump up onto Spirits covers only to be scolded off again and kept near her at the other end of the room. A few approached salivating at the smell of bird on both Spirit and Una but were quickly brought back into line by the young Vantha. Una admired how easily she handled herself around so many predators. Falling asleep several ticks later Una dreamed of puppies and barking.

When she awoke the next morning the press around her was enormous. Blearly opening her eyes she saw the dogs piled on top of her and her bed. Wind was sprawled still asleep at the side of Spirits bed but the puppies had claimed her as their bed. Most had snuggled into her sides or feet but one had climbed up onto her legs on either side and was snoring noisily against her ear. "Eek!" Una squealed in surprise throwing the covers off and disrupting the dogs.

A large red pup lay in a perfect little ball in the middle of the floor awoke at the ruckus and soundly snapped at the others for disturbing his sleep. The pompous boy turned to the sleeping Spirit and howled, demanding she correct this foolery at once!
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on January 21st, 2014, 2:12 am

Spirit had been sleeping quite lightly, so the scuffle on the other side of the room, rather than the howling, had been what had woken her. Her eyes snapped open in an instance, but the final call sent her sitting bolt upright, glaring at whoever had produced that noise. Surprisingly, it wasn't the howler who was actually going to be in the most trouble. It was namely the motley collection of dogs streaming off the Charoda's - Una's - bed covers.

She pushed herself quickly off, nearly tripping on Wind as she did so. Why was he next to her bed? Usually he claimed the spot underneath, with only rarely another dog to keep him company. It was his throne, of sorts. Even with Kaden around, he was still the head of the pack... the dog part of the pack, at least. Ticker had left with the tiger, meaning that the three remaining dogs were the culprits.

Apple, Fog, and Orange looked decidedly sheepish as she scowled at them. "No sleeping on beds," she scolded sternly, hands on hips. She'd basically forgotten about her guest. "You know that. You get under the bed, or on the floor. I've trained you to do that, at least." She didn't expect them to understand her, but she liked saying it out loud anyways. They got her disapproval, however, and Orange slipped under the remarkably high Frostfawn bed, visibly drooping.

"Taking advantage of a newcomer," she grumbled under her breath, before remembering Una. She looked up with a start, and grinned, expression quickly reverting back to a pleasant one. "Sorry about that. You can push them around, especially out of places they're not supposed to be. If they growl or bite, just tell me, or tell them 'no'." As simple a command as 'no' was, a lot of people unused to canines had trouble with it. Normally they were too quiet, or weak... generally from fear or shyness. However, around dogs, there was nothing to be afraid or shy about, and humans were at the top of the pack. Always.

"Say it firmly," she added, voicing her thoughts. Pausing for a moment, she stretched, then let her right hand absently drop to scratch Wind's ears.

"So... the Frosthawk. We should probably check up on him...her... it... er... something. I have no idea how long we slept. Bells?" She gave a weak smile, annoyingly enough feeling just as drowsy as she had before. She'd probably feel better afterwards, though... so there was no point fussing about it.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Una Tanta on February 27th, 2014, 4:25 am

x
x
"No sleeping on beds," The Vantha scolded firmly, "You know that. You get under the bed, or on the floor. I've trained you to do that, at least." Una giggled to herself as the puppies slid off the bed tails between their legs guiltily.

"Sorry about that. You can push them around, especially out of places they're not supposed to be. If they growl or bite, just tell me, or tell them 'no'." Una smiled and practised under her breath, "No...No!...no" Una practiced under her breath at Spirits instruction.

"Say it firmly," the Vantha added, Firm, be firm. She reminded herself. "No." She repeated abruptly and the dogs retreated further. She couldn't help but smile feeling surprisingly tough with just a simple word.

"So... the Frosthawk. We should probably check up on him...her... it... er... something. I have no idea how long we slept. Bells?" Una returned the girls smile, "Yah we should...I hope he is okay..." Una slid out of bed, still wearing yesterdays cold and feeling distinctly sweaty and gross from yesterdays work.

"I see people out walking their dogs sometimes, maybe we could walk them afterword together? Land mammals are always amusing." Una said passively over her shoulder as she moved toward the door trying not to look like she cared too much should the Vantha feel imposed upon.

Moving out the door the puppies lunged toward the door when she opened it wide and piled themselves before the door begging to play in the snow. Una couldn't help but tumble into laughter at their antics. "Are they always this adorable?" Una asked. Underwater creatures were always very independent and she couldn't help but adore the dependency of the little critters.

"How old are they? Are they always so dependent on you? I had a pet growing up, but Seahorses are a...different kind of adorable. They certainly never depended on me." Una explained grinning at the puppies.
x
x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on March 2nd, 2014, 8:57 pm

Una's proposal about walking the dogs was a good one. They were antsy after the past few days, and just letting them run around to their hearts content would be a good idea. Plus, exhausted puppies were much easier to deal with. Still, the comment about 'land mammals' was a little odd. Charoda were odd creatures, Spirit had decided... talking about coral and sea thingies. Did Una mention something about her living close to the sea? Or... in it? Something about that. Maybe. She couldn't quite remember. "Yep," she stated, in answer to the posed question.

"Only a season or so... they were born on the last day of Summer. And yes... they're quite dependent, if you put it that way. They used to start crying when they wandered too far from their mother... I had to pick up a few and carry them back to the 'known' space. They shouldn't be utterly dependent, but I do feed them... and dogs follow their feeder." She grinned wryly as she answered the next question, again confused by the relation to water-based animals. Una had had a Seahorse for a pet? She couldn't quite imaging that. It felt... odd. Odd and strange.

Their walk was short and quick, and ended as soon as the conversation had. Annoyingly, one of the puppies - Icicle - had tagged along, insisting that this was his walk, not whatever would come later. She'd given up on shooing him back, as it was too late to drag him back to the room. As long as he didn't irritate the bird, it would be alright. It seemed that Orange, at least, had been sensible enough to stay back.

She opened the door to where they'd left the Frosthawk, and ushered Una in quietly. If it was still asleep, she didn't want to wake it... and if it was awake, she didn't want to startle it. The bird was the Charoda's in her mind, sort of her own little pet. Except the idea of having a wild Frosthawk as a pet was a bit ludicrous.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Una Tanta on March 19th, 2014, 1:02 am

x
x
"Only a season or so... they were born on the last day of Summer." So Summer really was the birthing season of the world, and was one of the few things Una found familiar on land.

"...And yes... they're quite dependent, if you put it that way. They used to start crying when they wandered too far from their mother... I had to pick up a few and carry them back to the 'known' space." Una raised her eyebrows, "How do they survive if they need you? If a calf wandered away from their mother in the ocean their mothers would go after them and lecture them into behaving. Is your dog a bad mother?" Una didn't mean to be offensive with her question. Usually she was very aware of proper etiquette but having never had a close pet she didn't think the girl might be offended by the criticism of her dog.

"They shouldn't be utterly dependent, but I do feed them... and dogs follow their feeder." Frowning slightly Una shook her head, "You even feed them? With those teeth can't they catch their own food?....Oh, well I guess that makes sense. You get their obedience by being the only one to provide food?" Tilting her head Una couldn't help but question her as they wandered through the halls. It was the first time since coming to Avanthal she had met someone beyond Jack who held knowledge she desired. Though she admired the Vantha storytelling ability she was quickly coming to resent the childish energy that permeated the city.

Turning a corner in the hall Una giggled, catching sight of the red pup. Prancing behind them, as sophisticated as an awkward puppy could be. He averted his gaze from Spirits. As if by avoiding her gaze she wouldn't notice him and lecture him back into the room.

Slipping quietly into the room the creature was kept it had crept into a corner, wings pressed as tightly against it as was possible with the wooden contraption. Lusina turned when they entered running her hands under the tap. The room reeked of the fish she had cut up and placed in the cage.

"Hello ladies, its nice to see you helping out Spirit. Considering this isn't your strength. I fed your little beastie there, though I'm not sure he's ready to eat yet. I confess I have little knowledge of birds but seeing as you are here with my Spirit, you can feel free to ask me for help with him anytime." Grinning at the bird Una cooed quietly under her breath while Lusina spoke, "I tied a cloth bag around his wing to keep it clean while he was passed out but I doubt he will tolerate it for long, he's already starting to haul on it. As disobedient as pups, right Spirit?" Lusina joked grinning at her groomer.

"Now that he's awake and wont have the bag on you'll have to clean it in the morning -" Pausing deliberately for Una to introduce herself she obliged breezily, "right, Una. So I'll be here tomorrow morning to give you a quick show of it. Bright and Early though, I have to be done to the barn when the sun rises or the horses will kick down the fences in protest at their delayed breakfast." Exchanging knowing glances with the groomer Lusina nodded Briskly, "Alright, I am off. Best leave him be for the day to calm do. I'm sure you have your hands full with your own beasts Spirit."

x
x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on March 22nd, 2014, 12:42 pm

The Charoda seemed to have many questions about puppies and raising them, and they were remarkably detailed and thoughtful. Spirit, of course, was happy to answer. "I don't quite understand it myself. At that point, the mother is also trying to distance herself from the puppies, but they still want to tag along. She also has a lot to care for, and no time to keep an eye on all of them. If one wanders away and doesn't come back because it's a little stupid... she still has nine other puppies." She rubbed her head a little, remembering the massive pile of puppies... puppies... and more puppies.

"They can't catch their own food... their teeth are sharp, yes, but actually kind of delicate, and not too suitable for catching prey. And... they're much to small. A hare or probably even a mouse could easily outrun them... So their mother provides until they're big enough to hunt." They continued walking with few more questions, and finally ran into Lusina with the bird.

"Hello... Thank you..." she said politely to the older Vantha, the latter as the services to the Frosthawk were explained. She grinned at the small joke, again thinking of the litter of puppies she'd had to deal with the season before. The woman continued the description of the bird's situation, and she listened intently... even though Lusina claimed to know little about birds, she knew more than Spirit herself.

OOCSorry for the short post, I wasn't sure where to push this. Should we close it up? It is grandfathered after all, and it would take another thread off my list XD

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Una Tanta on April 9th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Una understood having several babes, hoping some would survive, but sea creatures generally gave much less care than land creatures did evidently. Wishing she could see a mother with her babes to compare Una marveled at how vulnerable Spirit made them sound. The puppy that was following them was pawing at the Frosthawks fence, eyes widening, Una reached out bundling the puppy into her arms before the Frosthawk could notice him. Gazing down at the bundle of fur Una giggled feeling its smooth wet tongue trace her finger tips. "He's beautiful." awkwardly stroking his bright red fur Una smiled down at the puppy.

Panting up at her the puppy looked at Spirit and woofed quietly as if to say, "mom...this stranger is mussing my fur..." Una set him down quickly, and raised a hand to her mouth to stifle a laugh as he began licking himself readily. Whether it was to fix his mussed fur or taste the residue of her skin on his coat Una couldn't tell, but he looked very much like an awkward kitten doing it. The cats had made an impact on Una since coming to Avanthal, their independent and fussy nature reminding her much more of her ocean home than anything else in the beautiful white world.

"Shall we?" Una asked when Lusina passed them by on her way to work, "Walk them I mean?" Una added quickly. She hoped she wasn't intruding too much on the Frostfawn but even with Jack and used to the emptiness of the Norhern ocean she longed for the companionship she witnessed between all the Vantha.

OOCYah, I agree :3 Just have to buy Sizzle. So maybe a post or two more of walking them. Una can buy Sizzles red leather collar with the silver bells to pamper him cause she thinks he's gorgeous and maybe Spirit could suggest Una buys him (Since Una doesn't know she can buy the puppy). Sorry the post is so short XD I really struggled with what to say. Maybe include them getting ready for the walk and whatever Spirit normally does to set them up for a walk and whatnot. Then there should only be one more post or two to buy puppy. :3

x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext