[Sanctuary] Returning Home(Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Hatot on November 20th, 2010, 9:34 am

Hatot’s heart was already racing, his breath growing deeper his hands reached up a little further, threading through Kavala’s hair. Truth be told, he hadn’t gone on his Rite for his people or his city so much as he had for her. To be recognized as a man would mean that the two of them could be together, with no objection at all. When he had been out there, fighting numerous Zith and a monster he had not even heard of before then, he hadn’t been fighting for status or recognition for his people, he had been fighting for her. All the hardship, all the pain and exhaustion he had endured, had been for her, and being here now, in Kavala’s tender care and soft embrace? To feel her lips pressing along his, to hear the sound of her voice, to smell her hair, to see her beauty? It had made all those hardships worth it.

A slow roar of approval echoed out from Radris as Kavala shifted and joined the two of them together, causing a slow moan to escape Hatot’s lips. His warm breath brushed over her skin as she began kiss over his eyelids, his hips slowly raising in reaction to their coupling. His lips then began to travel along the underside of her chin, trailing down the entire length until his tongue reached out from between his lips, licking at the indentation of her neck just above the collar bone. His hands slowly lowered then, one supporting the mid of Kavala’s back, the other cradling the back of her hair as strands of that white hair dangled between his fingers. He gently dipped her back, his lips lightly kissing over the entire length of Kavala’s collar bone. The hair that dangled from between his fingers hung loosely light a strands of silk, the end s dancing playfully along the surface of the water.

Hatot felt such pleasure in her embrace as, so much that motion wasn’t needed between them to excite him further, despite being joined so intimately. All he needed at that moment, was to feel her, completely. And he was receiving that desire. His lips moved further down yet, moving back and forth over the scales that lined her chest between her breasts, the underside of her scales rubbing over his cheeks and lips. Any pain or discomfort he seemed have felt at that moment seemed to completely disappear as the sensation of Kavala’s touch seemed to wash over him like waves along the ocean shores.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on November 30th, 2010, 5:05 pm

ImageHer empathy didn't extend to Akalak males, but it wasn't hard to read their feelings or their intentions pressed up against them like she was. They fit together perfectly, both in terms of personality and lifestyle. Her body sang under the touch of the big male body that cradled her and in the glow of his eyes she felt loved. Absolutely loved. Kavala would have been shocked to know he risked it all for her. The Akalak culture was far more complex usually than that. Their men needed to be strong, tested, proven worthy. They were too dangerous to be weak willed or slovenly. They used the world to cull their number and make their race strong.

But it hadn't culled Hatot or Radris. They'd come back to her.

She flexed her muscles without moving, holding him tightly within her, not wanting to be parted even as they slowly slid together. Her head twisted sideways and the patterning of scales on her cheek brushed his shoulder lovingly first to the right then to the left. And she arched for him as he tasted her, wanting her own taste the moment he was done. This slowness was something new for both of them, who tended to loose themselves in the moment. Sex was bestial, frequent, and driven by a need both rarely stopped to understand. But now that she was with child the urge was lightened a bit, less intense, and as Kavala curled sensuously around Hatot, she understood in a heartbeat that he was her Calling.

Perhaps it was a momentary insight her race was prone too, but as the big Akalak gently ran his hands up her back forcing her scales backwards gently in a way that always excited her, she knew their child was special. It wasn't in the way a parent knows their child would be loved or perfect just the way it was. It was in the way a Konti knew things. She was supposed to be here. Like this. Loving him. A contentment purred through her soul, the absolute textbook example of a Call fulfilled and sustained.

It made her smile, a soft knowing smile as she stretched her arms skyward to embrace the air above them, arching her back and offering his lips her breasts. She bent near double, letting the water hold up her back and leaving her arms stretched out away from him. They still moved together, locked, enjoying the slow stillness of time spent stolen away. Eventually her arms circled back around her, reached out, and captured his own, pulling herself back upright.

She couldn't not be fully skin to skin with him for long.

Each motion between them was exquisite. Pleasure wracked her body as she enjoyed his. And as her azure gaze locked with his own, the Akalak could tell the trembling in Kavala's body was just the precursor to the release to come. Sharp intelligent eyes had gone soft and wide, almost unseeing, as she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulled herself closer to him, and nuzzled the hollow of his throat. The konti healer began to whimper softly, tiny noises he knew meant she was almost satiated. Her body felt heavy, swollen, incredibly sensitive. And as she drew closer, she whispered things to him, soft sensuous things about what he did to her, what he meant to her, how much she loved him. Kavala promised him the moon and stars and begged him to come with her where she was going.

The soft muffled voice only stopped when he felt her blunt teeth dig into his skin as she cried out finally, her mewing noises moving from whispered promises to exploding pleasure. Tight against him, Hatot and Radris could feel everything her body did, every tiny reaction, and knew that he caused this in her. Only him. No bracelet - neither silver or gold - would change that fact. She belonged to him because of this, not because of beaten metal and a promise and price he was secretly disgusted about.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hatot on December 4th, 2010, 8:55 am

They seemed to switch back and forth the longer Kavala stayed joined to them, the hues of their eyes changing back and forth between gold and red, occasionally turning orange. Hatot giving soft kisses to Kavala’s scaled skin, Radris giving a slow lick and playful bite. Hatot would draw back in his gentle slow stride before Radris brought their pelvis forward in a quick strong motion that would Kavala’s body to rock up and the water in the bath to form waves. As Kavala leaned back, her hair slowly spread over the surface of the water, like silk sliding over velvet, before it flowed as if one with the water itself as her back and part of her head broke the surface of the water. Hatot’s kisses slowly moved over the surface of Kavala’s stomach, flat with that smooth, curved line running down the center that had been shaped from time building her home and the training she had received. Radris took partial initiative as the tip of their tongue was slide out, dabbing along Kavala’s skin when Hatot parted their lips.

Hatot’s kept their right hand flat along Kavala’s upper back, supporting her and keeping her from going under, while Radris took control of their left hand, slowly running up the center of Kavala’s body before it moved playfully over her breasts. They both had their role in Kavala’s life. Hatot would support and shield her when she needed it, while Radris would drive her and unleash that passion he had sensed she kept bottled up the first time they met. They had both been drawn to her practically the first time both of them had met her. Whether it was kismet or not didn’t matter to them at all, the fact was she was their anchor as much as they would have been hers. She had brought the dark brothers together, and they both fiercely desired her for that, would love her eternally and die a thousand times over for her. For her, they would even defy and battle gods. For them, their world revolved around her for the simple fact that she made them want to be better, in every way, for her. Their Rite hadn’t been that long, barely a blink of the eye in time when it came to the life span of Akalak and Konti alike, but it had felt like an eternity all the same. Now that they were in her loving embrace once again, things felt right. They felt balance more around her than anywhere else. When it came to Kavala, neither of them had disagreement. Both of them were for her and both of them for their child she carried within her.

As she pulled herself back up level with him, a cascade of water running from her hair down the soft contours of her back, they took a moment to capture her lips once again, Hatot slowly covering every inch of them with his own, Radris giving her lower lip a soft bite as she drew back and nuzzled the hollow of his throat. Motions continued as they turned their head and rested their cheek along the top of her head, her sweet, breathless voice echoing into their ears like nectar calling to a humming bird. That time away they had from her made this time with her like their first time, as legs almost trembled and toes curled over the intense sensations that coursed through their body, quickly rising to a boiling point. When Kavala had whimpered, biting softly into their skin, it was enough to send their own body over their edge as their jaw clenched, the muscles all over their body flexing solidly as they pulled Kavala into a firm embrace, crying out in their own release. They slipped both of their arms around her, keeping Kavala close as heavy breaths were taken. Soon they let their brow fall, coming to a rest along Kavala’s shoulder, their hands trembling slightly along Kavala’s back. “I missed touching you so much, Kavala my love,” they said, as Hatot and Radris’ voice seemed to echo with each other, as if the two of them were talking at the same time.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on December 11th, 2010, 2:17 am

Image Azure eyes closed as her body rested against his, skin to skin. She let their bodies recover. She allowed the water hold her up and his arms keep her secured. She felt safe, loved, and needed. The worries she had in the past few days slipped away. Gone. Resolved. Kavala didn't want to think about anything, not the past, not the future. For her, none of that mattered in the moment. She didn't care one bit in that instant.

She couldn't.

There was so much to do, so much to say, and yet she said none of it and made no effort to move. She wanted Hatot and Radris both well rested and completely aware of how much they were missed and needed.

It would have comforted her, however, to know what he was thinking and indeed what he was feeling. Had he been a horse or a dog she would have had no trouble understanding him. His emotions would have washed over her and soothed her in a way no words ever would. The Cheva marks brought her comfort too, because she realized with them that his commitment was deep and something he wouldn't willingly break. But that didn't stop the fear that occasionally crept into her heart. She was afraid a lot, though she never breathed a word of it to anyone.

Hatot had never signed her contract. He'd never changed her bracelet over when she'd told him about the baby, though granted their hadn't been a great deal of time. She'd never met his family, and although she spoke of hers often enough, he rarely mentioned his. Somewhere in the back of her mind she wondered if her presence in his life would be unwelcome to them or perhaps they'd see her as someone trying to manipulate their circumstances and improve it. She had often wondered too if she was an embarrassment, the knowledge of her circumstances known to them. Ex-slave, whore to beasts, destined to be food for zith because there was no other real use for someone who'd went through what she had. She didn't deserve his love. Not really. Her body was fit enough to have his son but maybe he hesitated to introduce her truly into his world because she wouldn't fit. Is that why he came more fully into hers? In her's there was room for everyone, no matter what. But she understood Hatot's family was an old one; prominent and respectful.

Kavala lifted her head, sad suddenly, and looked out through the doorway of the bath and into the courtyard of Sanctuary. She wished she could say she built the whole thing alone, but the truth was others had a very heavy hand in the making of her dream. Without them, there was not a lot that could be done and only so much one person could do alone. Could she do more alone? Did she want too or need too? Dependency was a hard road, and Kavala felt utterly dependent upon Hatot and Radris. Their presence in her life sheltered her from others. Their son growing in her body protected her in ways that an outsider wouldn't understand. A woman alone in Riverfall in debt like she was would have no chance.

But fate brought her the pair she curled up with and Kavala found herself grateful, resentful, and loving him all in one instant. "I missed you too. I was so worried." Both were true. And the knowledge that they were true made her scared. It was almost as if she was loosing parts of herself to hold Hatot and Radris so close. "Is there anything I can do for you now that your back? Is there anything you need? More rest? A special meal? Anything?" She wanted to do something for him, something besides pleasuring him, but she wasn't sure what. Doing would keep her from thinking and worrying and deliberately over thinking things.

Alone.

She didn't want to have to face that again, especially not without him, but she still needed to find a balance between life with him, and keeping her own sense of who she was and could be on her own. Kavala continued to watch him with her Azure gaze, knowing the water was growing cold and starting to make her shiver.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on December 15th, 2010, 6:02 am

Hatot slowly laid soft kisses to the top of Kavala’s head as his hands slid slowly up and down the length of her arm, his other hand keeping her pulled close to him. There was so much to do overall, but he had finished the most taxing of it all. As well, thanks to Kavala’s tender loving care, he was upright much sooner than he would have been with the injuries he had come home with. He then slowly began to stand from the tub, picking up Kavala in his arms as he took large steps out. The now golden hues of Hatot’s eyes gazed deeply into her eyes as he maneuvered her in his arms and gave another soft kiss to her lips. “I am thinking first we have some breakfast,” Hatot then suggested softly before pausing and looking towards the window, “or lunch or dinner. What time of the day is it anyhow?”

Hatot then lowered Kavala down to stand along the floor before he slipped a towel over her shoulders, slowly rubbing the fabric along her gently, soaking up water droplets. “After, I’m thinking we go to the Oathmaster, and get a contract signed and a gold bracelet to replace your silver one. “ Hatot said as he wrapped his arms around her then, laying his chin along her shoulder. “I know I have not really spoke of it much, and it is becoming a little overdue, but I do want to make sure no other can try to claim you as their own. I do not think I could actually bear such a thought, much less the possibility.”

Hatot then slowly slipped around in front of Kavala, his arms circling around her once again as he gazed back down into the azure eyes of hers, almost feeling like he could drown in their depths and be content. “Then I feel it is time for you to meet my family, my whole family. If you feel you will be up to it?” Hatot said as he laced his fingers together behind, letting his hands rest at the small of her back. “I will forewarn you though, save for my father, many of them tend to be more highly energetic than I.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on December 17th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Image She looked up at him, nodded, and offered the time. "It's morning, two days after you returned. I can see to breakfast. There's grains and fruit so I can make some oatmeal and there's bread to go with it." She offered, as she stood there letting him towel her down. Kavala was emotional, but to an extent she didn't know which were real and which were driven by the life forming inside of her. She thought back to the day she was picking snowberries and came across the Akalak meditating along the river. The meeting had changed her life that day. And every day since her life was altered just a little bit more. When he had her mostly dry, she reached over to the shelf and pulled off what looked like an oversized towel which unfolded into a thick robe. She draped it across his shoulders, letting it soak up the water on him. Kavala pulled another form the shelf, smaller, and slipped into it as well. There were always plenty of bathing robes and towels in the chamber, even those sized for horses who needed cleaning in the winter where they'd have to be blanketed immediately afterwards.

"I thought you didn't believe in Nakivak situation and the Oathmaster's rules. I'll go with you, of course, but I don't want you to do it because you feel obligated. I want you to do it because you want to do it and it is the right thing to do." She added. Her face was blank, expressionless, a dangerous thing for Kavala. It as the face she put forth when she was in pain or scared or otherwise uncertain. Her slavery had taught her to never show fear, never let them know you are confused or uncertain or that something is hurting you. It was a deep ingrained training she had only recently begun to let go of. The truth was she owed Riverfall a great deal - her very life in fact. Hatot, as far as she knew, thought the situation terrible. But Kavala understood the need. She would have given any one of them a child had they asked and had she been able to conceive after her slavery. To her it was a small price to pay and her body was already wasted for most anything else. At the time she'd taken her vows, however forced, and agreed to the terms she'd had no hope for a normal life and no will to have one. Now things were different. She'd been nurtured here, allowed to heal, and not pressed or abused anew. The fact that she'd met Hatot and Radris when she had really hadn't been coincidence. Kavala believed in greater deeper things.

They'd met when it'd been time for her to pick herself up off the ground and get over things. Had he hesitated or been anyone different, she wouldn't have warmed to him. But his fierceness in bed drew her, and if she brought out Radris and he managed to hurt her just a little, it fed the sickness that still lingered inside her. Between the two of them, she'd been able to get better faster. Shyness had turned to stillness. Fear had turned to empowerment.

It was a good relationship.

"No one can claim me now, Hatot. I've been to the Oathmaster. I had it recorded that I was carrying your child as verified by a healer while you were gone. They know my status and have updated it. I had to go. There was pressure from them to fulfill my contract and if someone would have wished too with me already carrying, there would have been some question of who's child it was. I didn't want that. I wanted it known by the Oathmaster that I was not avoiding my duty. He seemed pleased."
She added. The confession freed Hatot from the need to sign anything, change out Kavala's bracelet, or take any action at all. Perhaps the Oathmaster would make him do it because it was expected, but Kavala certainly wasn't susceptible to being taken by anyone else who would sign a contract. Kavala didn't offer to tell him about the Oathmaster's questions - intimate ones - about her mental and physical health. She had toured the Oathmaster's Tower and knew the layout. She also knew if there was any question on her sanity or fitness, they'd remove her from Sanctuary now that she was carrying a child and install her in the Tower. She knew other's lived there full time. It scared and saddened her.

"It's interesting though. We talked about my debt and I know how much I need to pay off to own Sanctuary free and clear. But they did not mention how much it would take to buy out of my Nakivak status. I know the cost is at least a child. I suspect though, its not so easy as all that. They asked a lot of questions while I was there. I got the impression it was well within their rights not to let me leave if they didn't want too." Kavala said, looking thoughtful. Her expression was still neutral, devoid of animation, driven by the fear and the reminder that if she was somehow unstable the threat to take her from her home was very evident to her. She didn't want Hatot to know because if he did, and there were questions, he could express his worry and not know where it might lead. She didn't think he'd like visiting her in a nice comfortable cell suite in the tower, though she knew they allowed such things.

When he took her in his arms again, she leaned against him gently for a few moments, settling herself. Kavala had really been afraid he wouldn't return or would return so damaged that life would be difficult. She'd missed him and sat awake at night staring out into the grass. In all of Riverfall, Kavala had Hatot. Just him. There were friends here, but he was her family truly. She knew that and depended on him in ways she couldn't begin to explain.

"Why do you want me to meet your family now, Hatot? We've been ... well together for a while now. I don't even know where they live. I... I suspect I'll be incredibly uncomfortable meeting them now, after all this time. Do they even know about me or is this going to be a huge surprise?" What she really wanted to ask was something different, but she held her tongue. She knew the Akalak held status by the amount of offspring they had generationally. The child growing inside her would ensure Hatot's Father and Grandfather additional status just like it gave Hatot additional status. She didn't know if she'd be welcomed into their fold at all, and if so if the reason she would be might have more to do with that than about who she really was. In fact, it'd had been bothering her quite a while that she'd never met Hatot's family. Kavala simply didn't know if his whole family felt like Hatot did about the Nakivaks or if they welcomed the women into their fold without so much as twitching a sword. She figured they wouldn't be mad at Hatot or judge him for taking a Konti lover.

She knew almost nothing because they'd never talked about his family really. They'd talked about hers a little and Hatot well knew her sister. But to meet her parents they'd have to venture onto the sea of grass and then Hatot's motivations would be called into question once her father saw that Kavala was wearing a bracelet that could not be taken off easily.

She wished Hatot had met Vanator when her brother had been in town. But he'd stayed so few of days and explaining Hatot and Radris and why the man virtually owned his sister under Akalak law due to the fact he'd put a child in her belly was more than Kavala could face. She hadn't wanted to see her brother's reaction to the whole situation either.

But regardless, she gently pulled from his arms, and padded barefoot across the courtyard toward the veranda. If he wanted breakfast, she'd gladly oblige him grateful he was alive and recovered enough to feel hungry and be wanting some food. He could answer her there, or not at all, for sometimes Hatot was silent on questions for reasons Kavala was uncertain of.

She put a large pot of water over the fire after adding a few sticks of wood to the blaze. Then carefully she began measuring out grains to make a mash of oatmeal and corn with. Then, cleaning off the large table, she gathered fruit from a basket and began cutting and peeling it for Hatot.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on January 4th, 2011, 2:14 am

Hatot listened as Kavala spoke, his eyes closing for a moment as he simply took in the sound of her voice. Hatot never thought about fate too much, only about his failures, and about how he would keep Radris from killing anyone. He had been through so many changes himself since meeting Kavala, and they were changes that practically everyone in Riverfall had been seeing. As her words echoed into his ears, and her soft touch of slipping the robe over his frame caused a soft moan of content to escape his lips, he knew just how far he had come, in such a short time. They were coming up close to a year, and it all seemed to go by in just a blink of an eye. Before then, he had almost dreaded every waking day, each one bringing him closer to the Rite he had returned from last night. Finally, as Kavala had paused for a moment, it was that moment he had began holding her once again, feeling the warmth of her body mingling with his, the smell of her casting all others aside.

“I don’t agree with it, this is true.” Hatot then began, his voice soft and deep as his cheek nuzzled along her own. “I don’t agree that my people force an obligation on the women that we’ve rescued. It almost seems contradictory in that way. However, with my race’s numbers, dwindling as they are, I can understand how many of them feel it a necessity. My opinion of their approach may not be the same, but I still want to do what is right when it comes to this. More than that, I know you want your bracelet turned to gold. You want that, so I want that to.”

Hatot then slowly turned her around, his arms draping over the sides of her shoulders as the hung down along her back, his hands coming together as they rested just above her rear. “Kavala, we’ve always spoke to each other of how much we’ve done for one another. It has been a back and forth in our conversations so much that sometimes it seemed like it couldn’t be said enough.” Hatot then continued, resting his brow along hers as he gazed into her eyes. “The thing of it all is, you spoke of how we were fated to come into each others lives. I never gave fate such thought myself until I had become neck deep into the violence of my Rite. With Radris and I working in tandem, our body moved on its own, our minds not necessarily thinking strategy or our next move. Our minds, they simply went back over every instance of our time with you., those memories burned so deeply into us that it became a driving force. It drove us because we did not want those memories to be the only ones that we would carry with us to our final resting place.”

Hatot then kissed Kavala once again, pulling her a little tighter against him. “It made us realize that it was fate. Before you, I never thought about my future, only my failures of the past, and how I could avoid others for fear of Radris coming out. Now, I think about the future, we both do. Our future with you.” Hatot continued to say, his voice almost shaken by releasing it all. He had never expressed much in his life, while Radris held nothing back and gave the negative right between the eyes most of the time. It was difficult for Hatot, on the other hand, to expose it all, after so many years of his own people not even needing to hear it from him, having already made up their own minds. So much so, in fact, that he had begun to believe what they thought of him to be true. Kavala had been the first to look inside, and see them both. “We want new memories, ones that stretch out to the end of our lives. You are our fat Kavala. You, are our balance in this life. It doesn‘t matter that no one else in this city can claim you now, I still want to give you your gold, and keep you in gold. Its what we both want.”

Hatot then began to follow Kavala‘s lead towards the veranda, where the smell of breakfast would soon be tickling their nostrils. He gave a slow nod when she spoke of her debt with both Sanctuary and her status as a Nakivak. Hatot then gave a shake of his head. “No, I do not imagine they would give a number upon how much it would take to free yourself of such status. Chances are, they do not even have a number thought of. For what price would anyone willingly put on the possibility of one more child to ensure that my race will not go extinct.” Hatot then said, his hands resting along Kavala’s shoulders as they walked, a gentle rub given to them. “It is most likely they do not bring it up because they do not want Nakivaks even thinking of a monetary number. Such would lead them to a goal of earning money, rather than producing a child. You would have to ask them directly about it, and even then I can not say whether they would have an answer for you. Still, if there is fear of them taking Sanctuary from you, there is a way around that. If it reassures you, we can have the deed transferred to my name. They would need greater grounds to wrest it from me than they would you. It would still be your home, of course, with me being the owner only on paper.”

Finally, as they reached the veranda, Kavala began to make preparations. Hatot moved in to help, grabbing any of the ingredients that Kavala requested and preparing them. He gave a tilt of his head when she asked about his family. “I never brought my family up because they, for a while, have been ashamed of me Kavala. My father, not so much, he just seemed indifferent for the most part. The rest of them?” Hatot then simply said as he began pulling some bowls down, setting the table. “Well, you know how my relationship with Radris was before. In my entire family, there has not been one who came even remotely close to getting their faces tattooed and becoming labeled as a Cerulean. I did. For a family as large as mine, it was not a favorable thing to be thought about.”

Hatot then turned around, leaning along the edge of the table as he looked to Kavala, watching her as she began to make preparations. He moved forward then, offering his help in the preparations if she wished it. “My grandfather, Johnyat, is the eldest. He produced six sons through four wives, one of which was Nakivak. Jotilk, Nyut, Ojav, Yonmak, Alonil, and my father, Hirst.” Hatot began to explain, doing any work in the preparation Kavala had asked him to. “Jotilk had three sons with a Kelvic lion. Kotun, Lokuh and Tiomah. Nyut had two sons, one from a human, and the other from a Myrian after besting her in combat for such . Yosoam and Nultar. Ojav has one son, born from a Akvatari, though I never met her. Viltoj was his name. Yonmak two more sons, one with a Benshira and another born of a Drykas woman. Moknel and Olmil. Alonil, despite being the second youngest, has managed to produce three himself. One with a Inarta, another with a Vantha, and his last with Eypharian. Anaot, Illto and Novkah were their names. Finally, my father Hirst produced me, with my mother. A Drykas woman named Atara Rootheal of the Opal Clan. She died shortly after giving birth to me, as I revealed to you once before.”

A small smile crept up on his face. “My father rarely spoke of her. He said she was beautiful, but had an odd way about her that fascinated him the most. He said she had an insatiable curiosity in all things new.” Hatot then finally said, a wanting in his voice over it, as if he so deeply desired a first hand experience of that. He then slowly looked over towards Kavala, a soft smile on his face. “Still, that is nineteen members among the family line. This does not include any that the sons of my uncles have produced. They were hesitant to inform me that they had any sons of their own at all. Still, it is difficult when seventeen others look upon you with shame in their eyes for the better part of thirty years. That has changed, ever since you came along, helping me on my path. Even my grandfather stopped me back in the spring and requested I bring you over to meet with him. I did not want to then, however. I did not want to build all of that up, not until I came back to you from my Rite.”

Hatot then slowly reached out, resting his large hand over Kavala’s. “They do want to meet with you though, but I will not force it upon you if it would make you feel too uncomfortable to.” Hatot then said, looking into Kavala’s eyes. A jesting smile then crept across Hatot’s lips. “Truth of it is, my grandfather can become quite loud, sometimes a little louder than Radris.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on January 13th, 2011, 8:01 pm

ImageKavala was acutely aware that they were coming up close to a year. The changes in her body told her so, and though she was loathe toadmit it, in her workouts and training the young horses, she’d slowed down quite a bit. Slowing down wasn’t something she’d admit though, not wanting to ride horses that might ultimately buck her off or harm the child within her, so she’d altered her training schedule so that Aweston took the first rides and managed the very young very green horses for the last two seasons of Kavala’s pregnancy. It wasn’t just the child’s life at stake either. If anything happened to the child, Kavala would be blamed acutely, especially with her job. A miscarriage likely meant a death sentence for her, even if it was an ‘accident’.

As Hatot held her close, Kavala relaxed, listening to him. She’d said her piece and now it was time to just let him talk. And she did, listening silently while he too got some things off his chest.

He was wrong about what she wanted and didn’t want though. It wasn’t about gold or silver on her wrist. What Kavala had really wanted was for Hatot to play by the rules the Oathmaster laid out. It shamed her somewhat that they were not even under contract and he hadn’t yet seen to forging her a bracelet of gold to show she was his for a time. It wasn’t the metal on her arm. It was the fact that Hatot had signed no contract for her. It was as if he’d denied what she was completely and in doing so had rejected some part of her existence. There was almost a sense that they had a normal relationship and that they’d met and fallen in love with each other and that he could just pretend things weren’t what they were. And in some part of her, Kavala wondered if Hatot wasn’t ashamed that she was a Nakivak, bound to slavery as surely as a freewoman was not. Before she’d discovered she was pregnant, any Akalak ever could have walked into the Oathmaster’s Tower and signed for her. She wouldn’t’ have had choices in the matter. That’s what mainly bothered her, far more than Hatot not giving her something gold to wear.

But she couldn’t just tell him. It would have sounded self-centered and shallow. And now, he said he wanted it because she wanted it. Part of her felt that wound acutely. She wanted him to want it as well not because he felt it was important to her, but rather because it was important.

Kavala’s face went quiet, loosing its expression, as she fell back to old ways and defenses. Even pregnant and feeling the urge to cry, she couldn’t bring tears to her eyes. That was something the girl had done, the one before the capture. There were no tears left in her… only an emptying of emotion. And so she stayed quiet.

With his forehead pressed against hers, he’d no doubt not miss the withdrawl, but she couldn’t help it nor could she hide it from him. Kavala was too tired. Having not slept in all the time he was gone, her worry had reached new heights and consumed her every waking thought. She’d tried to ride out a dozen times to look for signs, but had turned back with the fear of interrupting or not finding anything. And so she rode in her arena, worked her horses, and waited. It was so hard for her to know what was right and proper. She didn’t know how she was supposed to feel, without somehow damaging what was between them or lessoning it. And so she bottled up the frustration and the fear and all the things she couldn’t control and simply eased into the moment. Life was complicated. Her feelings were complicated. And she didn’t know how unbalanced the baby was making her either. Was this uncertainty and vulnerability coming from within rather than of Hatot’s making? Kavala didn’t know. What she did know, however, was that she hated the feeling.

Hatot’s touch comforted though. And she soaked it up, the iron clad veneer really needing the love he offered. She kept silent as he spoke of fates and the future. Kavala knew hers was intertwined with his, somehow, whether just because of their child or what plans they had for the future. Kavala didn’t know, but it was definitely something time would tell.

His words were refreshing, a pouring out of his soul. She listened and was comforted though something unsettled her about them. Radris and Hatot were their own balance, not the Konti who loved them both. Everyone in the world only had themselves to stand by when the truth was fully told about it. Kavala could easily die in childbirth or be taken by glassbeaks out riding one of her young horses. Hatot could die in a training exercise with one of the boys he tutored. Accidents happened. Things changed. They changed in a heartbeat, and the truth of it was Kavala was terrified to be too dependent. She’d never come fully back from a place like the one she’d been in when she first fame to Riverfall, especially if she was unwillingly and violently throw back into one. Some days were better than others. Some days she still lingered in bed trembling and longing for the world to go back to where it was when she’d been riding Windsong home, without a care in the world, unhindered by life’s darkness.

And some days she wouldn’t change a thing. Looking around at Sanctuary gave her that sense of pride. Being held by Hatot also gave her a sense that everything was going to be okay – absolutely everything. Kavala slowly smiled, the blank expression melting tentatively. He was getting into safer waters anyhow with his discussion on fate and what was to come.

“There will be lots of new memories.”
She affirmed. She couldn’t guarantee bad or good, of course, but there would be new ones.

Then moved on to the veranda where she began cooking his breakfast. Kavala was getting better at fixing food, though the truth was she wasn’t the greatest chef. Really, she’d want to eventually hire someone to cook for Sanctuary and perhaps do the cleaning in the main clinic and living area. When the baby came, someone would have to watch out for him as well when Kavala couldn’t always be around because she was running a business. Kavala would choose the individual wisely, that was for certain.

Her eyes snapped to Hatot. She almost burned the oatmeal she was working on even as she pulled the pot from the heat. Transfer ownership of Sanctuary to Hatot? The Konti felt trapped for a moment. If she readily agreed it showed her trust and that she agreed Hatot knew what was best and could best protect their new family and Kavala’s dreams. If she disagreed, it showed she didn’t trust him or might look as if he somehow was untrustworthy when he was not. The Konti paled a bit, frantically stirred the oatmeal to bring it to the right texture, and then flavored it with a bit of brown sugar and cream. She set the enormous bowl in front of Hatot and offered him the slices of fruit as she finished peeling and slicing them for him. Kavala declined any help, for she wasn’t feeding him a feast fit for a God, but rather a simple faire that would leave him satiated enough to get through the day. She’d do something fancy at dinner, with meat the kelvics had hunted.

Her mind turned back to his offer.

Riverfall itself owned her body. Hatot claimed her heart. The baby claimed her womb. What was left for her? Kavala needed something to belong too that was exclusively hers. If Hatot took over Sanctuary, it would be like he would be buying Kavala’s soul because that’s what Sanctuary was to her - her soul. She needed to hold onto something that was all her own and exclusively hers.

“Thank you Hatot. That’s a very generous offer. It also solves many problems. If there comes oa time this might be an issue,that might be a good way to solve it.” Kavlaa said. “We’ll keep that in mind, okay?” It might not have been the best way to answer but it was the only one she was willing to give. Kavala didn’t want to hurt him, and she did trust him, but she wasn’t ready to let go of Sanctuary to anyone.

When he began discussing his family, Kavala’s eyes grew huge. Not even in her wildest imagination had she imagined Hatot’s family to be so large. Kavala was under the impression that many people didn’t have big families and that they were lucky to have sons or grandsons at all. But the epic family tree Hatot outlined gave her pause. Quietly, she sat down, picked up an apples slice, and began nibbling it. Halfway through she knew the child inside her wasn’t exactly fond of apples today so she left the rest uneaten and sipped at water instead.

Names whirled past outlined carefully in relationships. She tried to memories most of them, but knew all she was going to really retain was his immediate family and his grandfather because of the comment about Radris. When he was finished she simply shook her head.

“I can’t imagine them ever feeling ashamed of either of you. I know Radris can be an ass, but hes got a good heart. Surely they’ve seen that. Thank you for telling them about me. It means a great deal to me that you did.” So she wasn’t a secret from them and they’d been asking about her. It startled her and made her feel somehow welcomed in his family despite the other feelings she’d been experiencing lately. “I’ll meet them if you’d like. They sound like an interesting and colorful group.” With that, she smiled again, her frozen expression of a bit earlier completely melting off her face. “Does Radris take after your Grandfather then?” She asked, curious.

His talk of his family made her think of her own. She’d been away from the Pavilion for over five years now. It was more than time to visit them herself, perhaps in winter if the weather stayed mild. For in spring, she’d be in no condition to sit a horse for that long.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on January 17th, 2011, 9:42 am

Hatot slowly looked down at the food, slowly taking in it’s scent as Kavala soon sat at the table as well. He gave a nod when she responded to the idea he suggested about Sanctuary, but he heard just a slight hesitation and worry in her voice in her answer, knowing that her answer was a masked “no” in the end. He slipped his spoon into the oatmeal in the end, beginning to stir it slowly. “Just an idea in the end. Ultimately the decision is yours of course, Kavala.” Hatot said as he pulled up a spoonful of the oatmeal, cooling it off with a blow of his lips. “I doubt it will become necessary overall though. They have no reason to take Sanctuary away from you. If nothing else, they see it as a boon to the city. It is an place of healing, and one not run by one of my race. It is run and owned by you. In their eyes, such makes Riverfall a more inviting place overall to females. In any event, on to other subjects of discussion.”

Hatot slowly began eating, his eyes closing as he tasted the mixture of sweet fruits and cinnamons that was mixed with the oats. It had felt like a lifetime, even though his time away for his Rite had been short, and the food that he ate now, despite Kavala’s lack of confidence in her culinary skills, was like a royal feast to him in a way. He ate each spoonful slowly, letting it linger in his mouth so he could savor the taste for as long as it would last before letting it slide down his throat and into his stomach. He thought on Kavala’s words for a moment, taking another few bites as he gazed out towards the sea. He then slowly shook his head slowly, stirring the oatmeal again, which was already half gone, to keep the heat of it even over the whole remaining meal. “Shame may be a strong word in the end, but I did feel disappointment in each of their gazes whenever I encountered them. Perhaps not my fathers though, but he was always difficult to read emotionally.” Hatot explained, taking another few spoonfuls. “It wasn’t even so much Radris and his rage in the end. It was both of us. Me for putting all of my rage and pain into Radris and keeping him caged, and Radris for releasing it all in explosive fury when he did escape from that cage. None of them would say anything in advice to help, because each Akalak, I’ve slowly began to learn through my own students, has their own way of achieving some semblance of balance.”

Hatot let his gaze moved to Kavala once again, his hand sliding out across the table, held open in offering for her. “I do want you to meet them Kavala. In a way, my life has just begun. You are a big part of that new life, and so are they.” Hatot then expressed. “Since we are together, you will become a part of my family, if you are willing to?”

Hatot then tilted his head, thinking of the comparison between Radris and his Grandfather. “There are similarities I suppose.” Hatot then finally said, before finishing off the last few spoonfuls of his oatmeal. “My Grandfather is very direct and energetic to the point of being loud, but he is not quite an instigator that Radris is. He is simply just someone who has found a level of contentment in his life, that he has very few worries in the end, so he can enjoy everything in his life to its fullest. That is the best way I feel I can describe it.”

Hatot then slowly slid the bowl aside, giving Kavala’s hand a soft squeeze if she had reached out to grab his. “Thank you for the meal.” Hatot then said.

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on January 27th, 2011, 6:27 pm

ImageKavala did indeed take his hand. She squeezed it gently and pushed aside the rest of her food, not really hungry though she knew she would be later. She'd had a busy morning already, between her run, her meditation, and her workout. All of it counted towards what she did to get into shape and keep into shape even as the child was changing things for her, some pleasantly, some unpleasantly. She'd already agreed to go meet Hatot's family, but he seemed to need reassurance all over again so she nodded once more.

"Yes, I'll go meet them."
She said. Kavala didn't know if he meant right now, sometime in the future, or later that day. She'd have to clean up if she was going anywhere. The Konti had nice clothing, but when she was working out and anticipating smelling more like horse than flowers, nothing she wore was new, nice, or remotely presentable.

Hatot ate what she fixed, which made Kavala grateful for she knew she was no chef. At best, her food was palatable and nutritious, though the more she slowed down with the horses, the more she decided she'd try to improve her abilities in the kitchen. For some reason, she wanted to be a normal partner for Hatot and Radris, not just a broodmare or mother for his children. She wouldn't leave her home for him, not Sanctuary, but he never asked her too staying more with her than he did elsewhere at night. Even though, to an Akalak, Kavala's upstairs group living situation might have seemed strange. There was an openness to the members of Sanctuary. If there was love, people knew about it. If there was relationships, they were completely out in the open. Sex was not something hidden away, coveted, done in back rooms or under the cover of darkness.

Kavala was far too Drykas for that with far too much of the grasslands in her blood. Most people wouldn't understand what that meant. But people who got to really know her could. The grasslands had no cover, no shelter, nothing but an endless rolling expanse of steppe with a sky that stretched on forever in a hundred and eighty degrees of either pure blue or glittering stars. Kavala's life was like that, especially now, transparent and uncovered. It was one of the reasons she was so fond of sleeveless tunics and never covered the scars on her arms or torso.

It was one of the reasons she never hid her love of pain either. Radris knew it, intimately, even if Hatot never had accepted it.

Kavala pulled her mind back to the present. There was a silence in the air now. His thanks for the meal hung out there and she wasn't sure what to say or do. While she rose and gathered up the dishes and made to clean up after her cooking, she quietly asked him something. "Do you need anything else? Are you sore still? I could take a look at your wounds and see how they are going or... or ? " Did a proper Nakivak offer him sex after danger and almost dying? Did he need more sleep? Maybe he wanted news of Riverfall though there was nothing that had really happened in the city since he'd been gone. Kavala hovered, uncertain what to do or say now.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext