[Sanctuary] Returning Home(Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Hatot on February 9th, 2011, 9:11 am

Hatot, slowly tilted his head as a small time of silence passed after he thanked Kavala for the meal. He smirked, watching her get into that process of thought. There were times he though he had the empathic power she had, but just in the sense of reading her feelings or thoughts of Kavala. In the end, he cupped his hands together, resting his chin on top of them as he observed her in quiet appreciation. Soon, a quick blink and sudden movement brought her back to the present as she began to gather things up.

Hatot slowly rose to his feet, helping her gathering things up with her as he shook his head. “My wounds are good. Your gifts as a healer get better with each passing day Kavala.” Hatot then slowly slinked his hand under her arm, linking their arms as his hand grasped hers and their fingers laced together. “We have some things do today, and I’ve rested and recuperated enough.”

Hatot then slowly began to lead the pair of them out of Sanctuary proper as their feet began to move towards town. “Now, I must confess that I am no a master forger, however.” Hatot then said as he leaned his head down a little, kissing the bare skin of her shoulder. “So if the gold bracelet comes out looking a little, blocky, please forgive the shoddy work.”

Hatot then lightly reached up with his free hand, brushing her hair back slowly. “My grandfather at least, will likely want to meet you today though.” Hatot then mentioned. “Was there anything you wanted to do before such?”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on February 12th, 2011, 10:06 pm

ImageKavala met his gaze and nodded slightly. She had that look in her eyes, the one which most Konti were noted for. They stared straight through things, as if seeing off into the future or back well into the past. Her eyes looked blind when her gaze took on that aspect, especially with the azure of her pupils. Kavala nodded, came back to herself, and met his gaze. "I would like to clean up. I don't think they want to meet me dressed as a boy and covered with horse sweat and that of my own." She said, smiling slightly then leaving him momentarily.

She didn't say anything in regards to his comment on his forging ability. It was something she didn't want to think about really. Most Undalas were elaborately planned out as a proud show of ownership and accomplishment in their own way. If Hatot expected his to be shoddy and poorly planned, it would not be a reflection of her. It would only be a reflection of him. And since it was winter, she could keep it covered with long sleeves and cloaks. Kavala knew, deep down, that she deserved better though. Even a simple well thought out design could be easily achieved with little or no skill if someone took time and put effort into it. That's why the tower's supervisor had metalworking experience and usually helped out.

She thought about this as she cleaned up, but said nothing in the long run. It would serve no purpose and do nothing but damage to point this out.

"I'm sorry I took so long."
The Konti said apologetically. It was longer than a moment when she returned because Kavala ended up taking a fast bath and piling her hair up in Drykas braids so that she looked older than she actually was. A dress went on next along with thin sandals that matched in black followed suit. She covered herself with a warm cloak and rejoined him on the Veranda when she was ready. She felt better, more prepared, as she headed off for the short walk to town with him.

"So, where do they live in town?"
She asked, curious. This was something else she didn't know. Maybe they weren't meeting at a home though. It could be that they were meeting someplace public, or perhaps at a business. Kavala linked her arm through his and walked with him

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hatot on February 16th, 2011, 8:28 am

Hatot gave a slow nod, looking over Kavala for a moment. He himself thought her appearance fine in the long run, but he sensed it was one of those moments he should just nod. “Of course, make whatever preparations you desire Kavala.” Hatot said giving her a soft smile.

Hatot waited patiently then, his gaze staring over the beach not far off. His mind was in constant thought, wondering what he would manage as far as Kavala’s bracelet was concerned. His hand slowly moved up as he began to give soft tugs to facial hair along his chin as he often did when he was in a deep form of thought. The only thing that broke his concentration was Kavala’s voice. He soon turned around and found his breath stolen a little. “No apology necessary.” Hatot said, taking a deep breath. “You look beautiful.”

As they began to walk towards town, Hatot slowly slid his thumb along Kavala’s hand. His arm eventually slinked around her waist, resting his hand along her hip as he pulled her a little closer to him. As she posed her question, Hatot gave a slow tilt of his head. “Many of them are scattered around Riverfall. We’ll be visiting my Grandfather’s home though. He has a small place in the second tier of the city, not far off from the Karma Bliss Spa.” Hatot explained as he turned his head for a moment smelling Kavala’s hair. “Chances are he will want something extravagant. Hopefully he hasn’t had time to prepare something large.”

There first trip was too the Oathmaster’s tower, however. As Hatot walked in with Kavala he was soon greeted by Tuvos. The two of them began speaking in Tukant as Hatot did much of the listen for the better part, taking in everything that was explained to him by the older Akalak. With Kavala’s knowledge so far in the language, she was able to pick up bits and pieces, but she was able to tell that they were speaking of the contract. Eventually some papers were laid out in front of him and a quill handed over. Hatot carefully read over the documents, asking any questions he may have come across before he dipped the quill into the inkwell and signed where was needed.

Soon, Hatot reached out to Kavala’s hand, grasping it gently as Tuvos eventually lead them upwards as several stairs were climbed before stepping out onto the gazebo style roof. Hatot took a slow look around before Tuvos stepped forward, now speaking in common. “Everything you will need, young Hatot, is up here. Have you any experience with metalworking?” Tuvos then asked.

“Apart from forging my Lakan, no.” Hatot confessed as he began looking over the tools, seeing a very different set than what he had seen at the smithy.

“While a part of you shall go into this young Hatot, metalworking is not the same as forging a weapon.” Tuvos then said.

“I have gathered as much.” Hatot replied, stepping forward, looking over the tools and supplies.

“Well then, look over the supplies we have and then and we‘ll begin soon enough. I will be there to guide you through it.” Tuvos then said. “Have you a design in mind?”

“Thank you, and I have a fair idea.” Hatot said as he slowly began looking over the whole of the supplies. Some of them had some designs and molds already preset.

“Then take your time, and when you are ready. We shall begin.” Tuvos then said, stepping back and falling silent.

Hatot stood there then, for a long moment, looking over the molds, the gold ignots, the various crystals that were laid out, many of them of different colors and sizes. He looked over them for almost five chimes, and his thought soon crossed his mind that he could do so all day and not come up with much. Eventually, Hatot’s gaze fell upon Kavala. For a very long moment, he gazed over her frame. The way she was dressed, the way her hair was braided, the color of her eyes. The curves of her frame and the subtle way her lips seemed to flow like water. Eventually, a smile formed over his mouth. “Thank you.” Hatot simply said as he then looked to Tuvos. “I am ready.”

“Then let us begin.” Tuvos said as he stepped forward, soon sitting Hatot at the starting bench. He soon laid a set of cutters, files and a ring of solid wax in front of Hatot. The inner hole of the ring already looked as though it was the right size for Kavala’s wrist itself. This likely held no surprise for Kavala herself, considering Tuvos fitted Kavala’s first bracelet. “Begin by the shaping. Cut and file the wax down. This will be the most time consuming part of the process of itself. When you are done, we will set the mold then. If you mess up along the way, another wax ring can be provided, but take your time. Put as much of you into this as you did your lakan.”

Hatot gave a nod and slowly began by picking up the cutting tool first. His frame soon hunched over the bench, his gaze and face brought close to the wax ring. He began cutting through the wax slowly as he fell completely silent. It would likely occur to Kavala at that point, as she observed, that Hatot and Radris held lengthy conversations in their mind as he worked. It soon enough within the first half of a bell took it’s basic shape as small curves moved nearly around the entire ring itself. Eventually, Hatot set down the cutting tools and picked up the small files. Tuvos soon leaned over his shoulder, explaining the necessities of the strokes he took with the files. In this process, it wasn’t a back and forth motion, but either one stroke forward, or one stroke back. It wasn’t about shaving off layers of the wax, but rather shaping. Hatot’s head tilted up for each of the instructions as he took soft, slow strokes with the file, trying to add as little pressure as possible. This was the long part of the process, Hatot discovered, as each stroke seemed to shave of little bit of wax as flakes fell off along the table. Occasionally, Tuvos swept these flakes and the chunks cut away into small pale to be melted down and formed into a new wax ring later on.

More and more, the ring of wax took shape, as further designs were formed within the bracelet itself. Hatot soon found himself actually enjoying the process itself. It was vastly different than forging weapons. Less physical, almost relaxing in the practice. The only discomfort Hatot found was simple aches in his wrist from the repetitive motions made with both the cutting tools and files. In the end though, it was hardly noticed, and before Hatot realized, close to another two bells had passed out before he set the wax ring done, giving a slow exhale. Another long last look was given, as his hands rested along the surface of the workbench. After another moment passed, Hatot gave a slow nod. “Okay.” Hatot finally said with a soft exhale.

“Finished shaping it then?” Tuvos then asked.

Hatot gave a slow nod in reply before his head slowly backed his frame up for a moment as Tuvos set a small brass bowl which had a large flame dancing within it. “Then we shall smooth it out. Simply take your work and pass it through the flame.” Tuvos then instructed. “Don’t do so quickly, but at the same time, do not hold it in there to the point where it will begins to drip of become malleable. You simply want to smooth it out. If you damage it at this point, you will have to start over at square one.”

Hatot gave a slow nod, picking up the shaped wax as he took a deep breath. Finally, after another moment, he began moving it back and forth through the flames of the fire. Every couple of passes he looked it over, checking for grooves or nicks still left behind by the filing or cutting process. When he was finally satisfied, he looked over to Tuvos, giving a nod. “It’s ready.” Hatot then said.

Tuvos then gave a nod as he guided Hatot over to the molds at that point. Opening up one of them, he had Hatot place the wax form inside of the mold before it was closed. Tuvos then slowly poured a white pasty substance into the mold. It was soon carried over to the forge as a pair of tongs was used to place the mold inside. “About a quarter of a bell should be all that should be needed for it to set. The plaster itself will harden, and while the wax you formed inside will burn away, its shape will remain in the mold itself, ready for the gold to be poured in.” Tuvos explained as he soon stepped away to prepare the next part.

Hatot slowly walked over to Kavala at that point, slowly reaching out with his hands, holding her own. “The difficult part now done.” Hatot then said, his thumb slowly reaching up and lightly stroking the silver bracelet. “I am hoping you’ll like what I am able to create. You were the inspiration which guided my hand in such.”

“Just a little while longer then.” Hatot then said, slowly wrapping his arms around Kavala then. The time seemed to pass as quickly in Kavala’s arms as it did while working along the bench. Before long, Tuvos soon cleared his throat.

Hatot backed away from his embrace, raising Kavala’s hands as he gave a kiss to them both. Hatot then walked back over the forge as Tuvos pulled out the mold from the forge. He eventually placed a gold ignot into a cast iron pot, slipping it into the forge in the molds place. Tuvos walked back over to the mold, opening the two metal castings after it had cooled for a moment. A simple square white block stood in the place of the what was once the wax ring Hatot had shaped. A small opening stood at the top as Hatot leaned over the table looking down into it. Eventually, at Tuvos’ instructions, Hatot pulled the pot from the forge using the tongs. “Now slowly pour the smelted gold into the mold Hatot,” Tuvos instructed as he stood beside Hatot, “not to fast that you waste the gold, but not to slow that the gold will harden before you’ve finished pouring.”

Hatot slowly began tipping the small pot, the melted golden metal pouring over the top of the mold, small drops of gold poured off to the side, rolling along the side of the old. For the most part, however, Hatot managed to pour the metal within, spilling only a small amount of gold. When he had finally finished, Tulos then waited for a long moment before he began to slowly chip away at the mold, breaking it away from the cooling gold inside. Both of them then leaned forward, looking over what was inside. Soon both of them hunched over the bench, obscuring Kavala’s view. While Tuvos did no work himself, he was constantly hovering over Hatot, observing his work and uttering suggestions to him. Hatot was constantly reaching over, grabbing various tools. Some fine files, rubbing compounds and polish. Every now and then Kavala caught Hatot then reaching for some of the crystals that were provided, as well as small gold plating as Hatot cautiously worked to smooth and polish the gold. As well, several crystals were fixed to the bracelet’s surface.

Eventually, after another full bell, all motion stopped as Hatot finally leaned forward, lowering his head. Small whispers were echoed from his lips, the words only able to reach Kavala’s ears in incoherent murmurs. Tuvos finally stood up strait, his hands cupping behind his back. He soon turned, stepping over to Kavala as his face remained emotionless. He looked into her eyes for a long moment in silence before his hand slowly reached out, remaining held open before Kavala. “Your wrist, if you please Kavala?” Tuvos requested.

When Kavala complied, Tuvos then reached over the silver bracelet then with his other hand, covering it up. “Our works here today are concluded.” Tuvos then said before his hands were then removed from her wrist, the silver bracelet now removed and bare. “You will receive a bill for the materials used before your departure Hatot.”

Tuvos then stepped around Kavala, stepping down the stairs and leaving the two of them alone. Hatot then slowly stood up as he began stepping over to Kavala. A small amount of sweat had formed over his brow as he kept his hands closed over the bracelet itself. “I am almost nervous to show it to you, considering it is my first works.” Hatot then said, stopping just before Kavala. “Had Tuvos not been here, it likely would have just turned out to be a misshapen hunk of gold metal around your wrist with my blind attempts alone.”

“Kavala, would you please offer me your wrist?” Hatot then requested, allowing her as much time as she wished to do so, knowing that the feeling of not having a bracelet along her wrist may have been something she wanted to hold on to a little longer.

When she finally did offer her wrist to Hatot, Hatot’s hands slipped around the narrow wrist and she could feel the gold beginning to brush along her flesh. “Whether this is a reflection on me or not, I do hope it is to your liking. I am just sorry I could not give it to you sooner.” Hatot then said as he finally removed his hands, revealing the final work.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on April 25th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Image Kavala didn’t know what to expect. Her feelings were mixed and conflicting each other the whole trip. Kavala had wanted, no, needed Hatot to do this on his own, without being pressured from her. But she felt she’d pressured him and now he was doing it to somehow placated her rather than because he wanted her to see how much he wanted her to belong to him. Kavala knew he wouldn’t understand. But when you were a slave like she was, in truth if not in name, being attached to someone or something was hugely important. Being wanted was even moreso. Hatot and Kavala were together regularly and had a healthy sex life which had resulted in the pregnancy, but she’d always felt he ignored her status as if the rules didn’t apply to him or her or as if she wasn’t actually a Nakivak. It was a strange scenario. She’d coveted his gold bracelet a long time. She’d coveted him signing a contract for her, yet he’d refused to do it until she’d laid down the law. Kavala wasn’t sure why. When pressed he’d just said it wasn’t important. Maybe it wasn’t important to him.

It had been important to her. Until she’d become pregnant, she’d been available to anyone since Hatot hadn’t signed a contract. Any Akalak that came along and found her pretty could drag her to the Oathmaster’s tower and start demanding her services until he managed to fill her womb. The stranger could show up at her house and demand his rights. He could drag her to his. There were even small rooms in the tower for his use with narrow beds designed only to be serviceable. Maybe there was no danger that would happen with Hatot being her partner and it was an unspoken rule among the Akalak. But during her Nakivak training, she’d learned the truth of it explicitly. They’d even learned positions, do’s and don’ts of service like washing certain parts of her anatomy after encounters. They were forbidden until another encounter was scheduled or ten hours had passed. All these thoughts had always filled her mind, her having no idea that Hatot had gifted her with a child that very first time they were together.

Kavala had seduced him, clearly, because she wanted an experience with someone she was attracted to in order to help erase the violence of the past. She’d taken his mind away so hard that he’d given no thought to where or who could see and he’d taken her right there on the table in the veranda and conceived within her a child. It had worked and she’d developed a healthy sex life thereafter with Hatot and Radris, but she’d always questioned why. Even when he’d professed love after her own admission, she’d wondered if he loved the idea of a Konti lover, a Nakivak giving him a child to further his status and that of his father, or if it was simply her.

She painfully and desperately wanted it to be her. But part of her doubted it. Part of her needed it to be something more clinical so she wouldn’t be hurt when he was gone long periods of time. The other part of her wanted forever though she knew time and space would change them both and forever rarely happened with long lived races.

When Hatot held her close and told her of all the visiting they’d be doing, Kavala nodded. “It will feel a bit like being on parade or display… you sure they know about me?” She couldn’t imagine telling her father about Hatot. It was so hard to explain the Akalak system to those outside the Akalak society. It sounded too much like slavery and forced breeding, which in a way was exactly what it was.

“Hatot, are they going to ask me embarrassing questions either your family or the Othmaster? Like if the child is really yours or if … I don’t know if I’m eating right and that sort of thing?” She fretted, worried.

Soon enough, they were there though and contracts were signed. Kavala felt detached the whole time watching the men talk. The Oathmaster didn’t look at her or make a fuss, but it was embarrassing to her to know that he knew Hatot and her were together. Kavala wasn’t shy but it was still disconcerting to know that the Oathmaster knew what her and Hatot did once a day if not more. There had been several women in the corridors and they’d passed half a dozen Akalaks’ as well, some coming some going, all looking busy. Kavala had flushed bright red at first, knowing what some of the women were doing – going to the special rooms or coming from them. Some were even signing up for the service or visiting to show a contract had been fulfilled.

But once the ink was on the paper, she in effect belonged to Hatot until the birth of their child. Kavala smiled a little at that, relieved, knowing that some of the other Akalak in the building looked at her curiously, speculatively, as she passed by them in the hall on the way to the upper levels.

She was placed in a padded seat in a corner that looked like it had held many people before her. When Hatot eyed her speculatively Kavala bowed her head and closed her eyes uncertain of what he was doing. Choosing? She leaned back and watched the process as he built up the bracelet, her own plain silver band weighing heavily on her wrist. Kavala waited quietly, making no sound to interrupt nor attempting to ask any questions to distract.

Hatot joined her later, after most of his work was done, to stroke the silver bracelet, embrace her, and kiss her. His gaze was oddly powerful and Kavala held it even as he fingered her hands and clasp her wrist. She hugged him back, pressing against him and whispered ‘thank you’ in his ear as he reassured her the hard part was done.

Time passed. She waited, not aware of its passage. There was a rite going on here, one hundreds of Akalak had preformed before Hatot had.

And then Tuvos was there, taking her wrist and for a moment freeing it from metal. Bare. She’d forgotten what that was like. And then he left, abruptly, as if it were the right thing to do. Kavala was confused by this a moment, wondering if it was proper. Didn’t he have to attach her new bracelet? The door clicked behind them, locking from the inside, giving them privacy. Kavala was confused. But then Hatot was there then, powerful in front of her offering her the gold. His gaze was intense as he stared at her and she sensed in that exact moment there was something deep between them, something beyond love.

Kavala shook her head, partially to snap out of the detatched feeling and partially to deny Hatot’s words. “You create beautiful things.” She said softly then lifted her arm to offer him her wrist. Her body was shaking, she found, because it was a locked in the intensity of the moment. Kavala was giving herself to Hatot’s ownership willingly. That was part of the ritual, she realized, knowing there were other women that had to be held down and re-fastened around them. With the golden bracelet in place, her place in Riverfalls’ society was sealed. She was a child-bearer, a hope, an honored cast of citizen that could never be what males could be.

But she willingly offered it. Herself. To him. The metal was warm as it fitted around her flesh. And the bracelet winked beautifully in the light of the forge. Crystals winked like gems formed of circles layered over the top of one another blending pink and iridescent together in a gold field.

She stared at the bracelet for a long long time, then she looked up at him. Her gaze held his strange one for the course of two breaths and he could see that she was still trembling with the intensity of the moment. A fierceness was in her gaze along with a lust and acceptance that blended together in ways that were new to Kavala. She tilted her head and rose to stand before him. She slid herself around him, embracing him, trailing her fingers up the middle of his spine. Every inch of her was quivering with reaction, not scared, but strangely on edge.

“I belong to you - both of you. Now the world knows it. They all know it...” Kavala said, lifting her head to kiss him softly. She ran her lips over his and tilted her head to run her rough scales down through the hollow of his throat. She knew now why Tuvos had left them alone, door locked, to seal the bracelet themselves. She wasn’t the first, nor the last, Nakivak bound up in gold and given over to an Akalak. Powerful emotions flowed through Kavala and she was at a loss to explain how they were suddenly there and exploding within her. Was it part of the bracelets magic? This need? The submission? Relief filled her, relief she couldn’t explain, and she knew she didn’t mind at all in that instant that she was bound. Kavala kissed Hatot for all she was worth, letting him know what she felt, what he meant to her, and how grateful she was he was in her life.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on May 1st, 2011, 5:30 am

Hatot slowly looked up at Kavala for a moment, his face frozen in idle contemplation as his gaze raised towards the sky for a moment. “I do not think they would be putting you through some form of interrogation.” Hatot then replied to her question before looking back into her eyes. “In the end, the meeting is simply about celebration more than it is about discovery. Some may ask you questions, but it will not be the purpose of the gathering.”

Kounju leaned in, giving Kavala a soft kiss along her cheek. “You will be fine.”

Hatot held Kavala in his arms for a long moment of silence after long, impassioned kiss. His hand reached up to caress her face as he gazed into her eyes. “How about we head out of this tower, and on to the celebration?” Hatot then asked, waiting for her response before the pair of them began heading down the long set of stairs, stopping to sign any further paperwork the Oathmaster had for them, before stepping free of the tower completely.

It was a relatively pleasant walk, the pair of them moving further into the first tier of the city. Often they found some of the Akalak stepping to the side to give them the road to walk unhindered. As well, Kavala often found Hatot now looking into the eyes of many of the Akalak they passed, giving greeting nods to each of them, far removed from the Akalak he was when he would travel through town and avoid the looks of others by pulling his hood over his head.

Eventually their steps took them down to the next tier of Riverfall, making their way past several of the business’ found there as Hatot garnered a nod of approval from the Blacksmith at the Arma’Drex, motioning towards Hatot’s lakan. Before long, they soon began approaching a house not far off from the Bazaar. It wasn’t a house that was extravagantly large, but one all the same that seemed better than the average living homes within Riverfall. Hatot suddenly stopped in his walk, bringing both of them to a halt for a moment. When Kavala would look up to him, she would see Radris’ red iris’ looking back into hers. “Better hang back, just for a moment there Kavala,” Radris then said, slipping his hand free from her own gently. “Gramps is lying in wait, I can smell him. He wants to give his usual greeting and I don’t want you to get caught in the middle of it.”

ImageRadris then slowly stepped forward towards the gates of the house, gates that were tall and thick with bars of iron, yet elegantly decorated at its center with an insignia bearing many different types of metal and paints. Before Radris could come within fifteen yards of the gates, however, the large shadow of a male figure appeared along the ledge of the wall just off to the right before leaping through the air, a large sledge hammer held in both hands and drawn back. He yelled ferociously as he fell through the air, swinging it downward at Radris himself. Radris quickly stepped to the right at the hammer slammed along the ground, crusshing one of the paved stones it impacted with. The Akalak was large, taller than Radris was, and more heavily muscled, his bare arms littered with scars from years of battle. A thick beard covered his face and long black hair reached down to the mid of his back with streaks of grey. The large Akalak, Kavala could only surmise, was Hatot and Radris’ grandfather. And his usual greeting, was odd to say the least. Just as quickly as it had began, it had ended however as the old Akalak known as Johnyat picked up the cumbersome weapon for another swing and found Radris already inside his defenses, extended fingers aimed at his throat. “You’re getting slow in your age, old man.” Radris said with a wide grin.

Oddly enough, most of the other Akalak in the vicinity barely gave much attention to the short altercation, save for watching it momentarily. As if it had been a common occurrence of late. Johnyat grinned as wide as Radris, looking down at the palm of his hand. “This is a first, Radris, you actually held back on striking me.” Johnyat said before standing up strait, away from Radris’ fingers as he hefted the large great hammer along his shoulder, giving a loud laugh. His eyes then focused on Kavala, iris’ of pure gold like Hatot’s own. A slow scratch was then given to the back of his head as he looked over the Konti. “Sorry about that if I startled you. Just the usual greeting me and the boy had been going through as he prepared for his Rite. Course, it didn’t always happen here, but it did involve me ambushing him on several occasions. Not at Sanctuary though. That was one of his conditions.”

Johnyat then gave a slow bow to Kavala, holding his free arm out towards the gate in a inviting gesture. “I am their grandfather, Johnyat. My other self may come out, and he’ll introduce himself at the time if he does so. Right now, he’s just being a lazy sleeping bastard though.” Johnyat said before slowly standing up again. “Welcome, Kavala. Consider my home yours as well, and my family yours to come to for anything we can provide if you need it.”

The large iron gates then opened, strangely enough on their own as Radris and Johnyat stood side by side, leaving enough space for Kavala to walk between then. “Hope you brought your appetite,” Johnyat then said, “because there’s a large feast prepared.”

Kavala would then see Radris with a small smirk on his face, his hands resting along his waist. “Hatot did warn you grandfather was a little more like me.” Radris simply said before extending his hand to her. “Don’t worry though, it will be the only battle you see today.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on May 22nd, 2011, 6:52 am

ImageKavala nodded and followed him from the tower, pausing while he signed any paperwork and lead her towards his ancestral home. She couldn't help but be curious about his family, for all that he'd told her about quite a few of them already. "I'm still nervous about the celebration and meeting all of them. But sure... let's go." She said softly, certainly.

As they walked side by side she noticed a definite change in Hatot. He seemed more confident, proud, and she wondered suddenly if that wasn't the case in the past. He'd told her some of the uncertainty his family and the community as a whole had indeed felt about him turning Cerulean, but so much of Kavala denied that it was her presence in his life that had tipped the balance back. He was a teacher of the youth already and had a large loving family. Surely those factors weighed as heavily.

Still, she smiled pleasantly at all who greeted Hatot and then hesitated at the gates of the fancy estate when Radris showed himself and issued the warning. Moments later there was a fight and Kavala backed way up. It seemed so foreign to her that a grandfather would greet a grandson the way Johnyat greeted Hatot/Radris. Kavala watched with a mixture of amusement and concern. Living in a family like this one would be hard enough without endless 'tests' she imagined.

Glancing at Hatot, she had a new found respect for him.

Johnyat eventually introduced himself and Kavala did likewise, thanking him for the invitation and all the trouble the family had gone too for the occasion. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, sir. I've heard a great deal about you." Hatot hadn't truthfully told her a great deal about his family, instead he'd let her reserve her own judgement for such at time as she'd need to make one - face to face.

Taking his hand for a minute, she bowed before him and then slipped into the compound and into the small crowd of family waiting for them. At Radris' words, Kavala smiled and nodded. Somehow, she was glad it was him talking to her and reassuring her rather than Hatot. Hatot would say anything to sooth her. Radris would not beat around the bush or pull any punches. "Thanks. I believe you, mostly, I think. What is this estate called.. with the crest and everything surely it is named?" She said, looking around at the lovely architecture and the company they ere keeping.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on June 18th, 2011, 1:48 am

Radris slowly lead Kavala in past the gates as his hands rested along his hips. He gave a small chuckle as Kavala asked him about the crest and estate. “It's my family crest and my grandfather's estate, the Laeklon Estate.” Radris said. “It was built before even gramps got old and wrinkled.”

“I heard that.” Johnyat said, looking over his shoulder as he lead the pair up to a large, white brick home. The open area around the house, decorated with statues of Akalak who had fallen in their family line, rested along the path that lead up to the house, backed by green grass that was patchy in some places as signs of training could be seen in the form of divots in the ground, or dug up earth. The statues themselves weren’t numerous, totally only about ten in number, but the walk in essence served as a shrine to Johnyat’s family, both before and after his birth, who had died either in battle or through other means. At the end of the line of statues, stood statues of both Wysar and Akjia standing before the entrance to the large home.

“Well I said it out loud.” Radris replied, giving a smirk. “Anyhow, gramps has been around for a long while. It’s why there’s talk he could be next in line for a seat at the Council of Elders.”

“One of the other old codgers will have to kick off before I sit among them.” Johnyat said. “In any event, that’s not what today is about.”

Johnyat soon rounded off to the side instead of stepping inside of the home, leading the pair of them around the house. It wouldn’t be long before Kavala would sound of instruments strumming and whistling not far away as they played an uplifting tune. As well, the smell of roasting meat could be found lingering in the air, growing stronger as they rounded the corner, stepping between an opening of tall bushes into a gardened area. Several shrubs and flowers lined the garden grounds, many of which Kavala recognized for their Philtering and Herbalism benefits. Their purpose just looked to be an artistic arrangement to make a pleasing gathering area for family events. At the center, standing under the a large open gazebo, stood several Akalak, each of them conversing among themselves as they held a drink, or some piece of food.

Some of the Akalak were adorned in armor, others in fine clothing, showing a variety of professions that Hatot and Radris’ family held. Not far off to the right, near the side entrance to the Laeklon estate, sat a small group of musicians as they played their song, stringed instruments and flutes, one women out in front with a tambourine dressed in what seemed like only veils for the most part danced gracefully as her hand slapped along the edge of her own instrument and her abdomen seemed to swerve in an almost hypnotic fashion. Along the other corner, a large hog slowly spun over an open fire pit, roasting rotisserie style as one Akalak slowly checked it’s progress, adding seasoning here and there.

Eventually, all eyes were on the three that entered, and silence fell over the grounds. Johnyat’s hands rested along his waist after setting his hammer aside. “Well, they’re here.” Johnyat then simply said before a large cheer echoed out over the group. Johnyat slowly looked back to Radris. “Flashy enough for you?”

“Oh stop, you’ll make me turn purple,” Radris said, rolling his eyes a little, “mainly from choking on sentimentality.”

“Hah!” Johnyat said, motioning for him and Kavala to step forward. “Come on then, everyone will want to congratulate both of you personally.”

ImageAs they stepped forward, Radris slowly fell silent, an almost somber look crossing his features as the first of the Akalak stepped forward. A tall Akalak, his face almost resembling a Radris’ a little as eyes looked dead into Radris’ own, a emotionless expression on his face. He stopped in front of Radris then, still peering into his eyes as the two of them remained silent. Finally, after close to chime, the Akalak extended his hand, grasping Radris’ own after Radris offered it in return. “Congratulations, you do your family proud, son.” Hirst then said, shaking Radris’ hand firmly as the flexors and extensors in both men’s arms tightened to the point that their skin looked more painted on over muscle. Hirst then looked over to Kavala, releasing Radris’ hand as he shook the sting out of his own for a moment. “When your child is born, survive, and raise him better than I did my own son.”

Hirst then looked to Johnyat, before giving a slow bow to all three of them. “I apologize to all three of you, but I must return to my own home and watch over Kiara,” Hirst then said before he moved around both of them, exiting the gardens.

“Don’t mind him,” Johnyat said. “He’s always been dry when it comes to others save for his wife. Just hope he perks up a bit more now since brining that girl home.”

“So did he finally find her?” Radris said, almost a slight scoff heard in his voice.

“Hell if I know. I don’t decide who gets reincarnated into whom. That’s Lhex’s job.” Johnyat said before looking to Kavala to see the confusion over what they had been talking about in her eyes. “Why don’t you get manhandled by the others for a moment kid, I’ll do the explaining here. You’re a little touchy when it comes to this.”

Radris slowly looked into Johnyat’s eyes for a moment, noting the seriousness in them. Chances were, he was right. It was a sour subject for him, so in the end, he looked to Kavala, giving a slow nod to her. “I’ll warm them up, make sure none of them are stepping on your toes when they greet you.” Radris then said as he slowly turned and made his way towards the group of Akalak who, one by one, began embracing Radris as Kavala heard Tukant spoken among their group. He linguistics in the Akalak language wasn’t totally fluent, but the bits and pieces she did manage to pick up lead her to believe that they were doing nothing more than trash talking each other for fun and speaking of Hatot and Radris’ rite. Eventually, a silver chalice was held in front of Kavala, its contents wasn’t wine as she had expected however, but a juice drink, one of several different fruits as Kavala’s nose picked up hints of orange and apple, pomegranate and kiwi. The smell was sharp and smooth at the same time, and the taste would likely be the same.

“You’ve been here long enough that you likely know the reason why most Akalak don’t take those they have entered into contract with to be their wives. About how the emotional attachment for the child and father alike can be a little too harsh to observe as the female either dies from giving birth, or eventually grows old and dies?” Johnyat said as he then took a large pull from his own chalice, which was filled with wine. “Well, I never enforced or taught that to my own sons. I felt it best they always decide for themselves. Some of them have taken wives from those they’ve either saved or negotiated into contract with. I’ve done so myself, having had three different wives. Two of them died giving birth, a third of old age.”

Johnyat then dragged back of his hand along his lips, looking down into Kavala’s eyes. “It wasn’t easy, seeing them die. I suspect the same was true for my other sons as well.” Johnyat explained. “It was devastating, however, for Hirst. He fell for his wife pretty hard, and when she died giving birth to Hatot and Radris, it was more than he could bear. He and his dark brother, Dranar, spent the first year in solitude, more or less contemplating whether they should kill themselves I suppose. After that, they simply began wondering the lands, looking for the being who their wife reincarnated into. Didn’t leave them much time to raise their son in the end. They only had brief periods of contact from time to time which you can imagine Radris especially is pretty perturbed over. It was me who raised that boy most of his life, but not even I could be around for him that much, considering my own obligations to the city and my people.”

Johnyat then slowly looked down to Kavala, giving her a pleasant smile. “In any event, it’s a bit of history you should know, from a perspective that wouldn’t add a colorful curse word every three or four words in the explanation.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 20th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Image She followed Radris quietly, her eyes darting everywhere. Kavala felt strange, much like she had among the konti sisters when she’d visited Mura. There were so many men here, all related by blood, all looking slightly like each other. They had an ease to each other’s company that they graciously tried to extend to her which she appreciated. Johnyat, she liked immediately. He was the most personable of all of them and had an ease of acceptance about him that lent people to want to talk to him.

None of them looked old. Wizened, maybe, and getting into the sunset of their years, but definitely not elderly. Kavala suspected that the Akalak never did truly die of old age, but preferred battle and the defense of their new homeland to sitting it out quietly by a fire and letting time take them. Her gaze was dark azure now, glancing around, trying to see all of Hatot and Radris’ ancestral home. The Laeklon Estate was beautiful and something she wasn’t quite prepared for. He looked as if his family had money and success, something she wouldn’t have expected of him finding him those first days quietly along the river.

When Radris said his grandfather might be in line for the Council, Kavala nodded. She could see why with his magnetism. He had a way of easing people into a situation, and that was important for a leader. They circled the house and passed through a garden. Many of the things there she recognized, but a few she did not. For moments she thought of asking, then decided it was for the best if she remained quiet. These men were of a class she’d never touch, of a lifestyle and family that was rock solid and stretched far back into time.

Kavala always felt like her own history was broken up, transplanted, foreign. She’d never fit into a family like Hatot and Radris now seemed to fit into his. She was glad things had changed for him and that no one thought he’d be bound for the ink. But as she looked around, it was hard on her seeing this. In a way it reassured her that if she bore a son, the Akalak would have something to fall too, a place he’d ultimate fit in beautifully. If she bore a daughter, then the girl would have Kavala and she’d make sure that whomever she turned out to be, the child would never feel isolated like Kavala had having white skin and scales among the Drykas.

The wide variety of people gathered was slightly astonishing. Everyone seemed to have a different profession and a different idea of what was ‘dressy’. The armor threw her off a bit, but then she realized most men who were warriors didn’t feel comfortable without it. Kavala moved off, following her tour guide and Radris as they entered the main party area.

Truth be known she wanted to hide. Everyone was watching them and she felt naked, exposed, and knew that probably all of them knew her history. And now that they knew she carried Radris and Hatot’s child, they’d also knew that she’d been with him too. Kavala knew it wasn’t right to feel that way, but she did. In the deepness of her heart she wished somehow he would have brought her home as a friend, introduced her around without the bracelet, and proudly called her his love. But this wasn’t his culture. The reality of what they were was clear to her. Kavala felt like showing everyone her chevas mark, to stop them and say ‘no… I do love him… its not like that… see?’ Unconsciously she tucked her hair behind her ear on that side, exposing the mark that was an unquestionable symbol of her devotion to their son – the one they thought would fail at all things and take ink.

The cheer made her jump, though Johnyat and Radris’ banter eased her mind a bit.

She noticed the change in Radris immediately as his father stepped forward, offered him his congratulations, and then commented to her. She blinked in confusion, opening her mouth to say something to him. She wanted to … but then he bowed and was gone, leaving Kavala with her cheeks flushed and feeling stupid. The Konti studied her sandaled feet for a moment to hide her rage and get it under control before she looked up and around again. She wore glittering black leather sandals that made her pale feet look even paler. Quietly, while Johnycat and Radris talked, she glanced around. There were no women here, none at all. The reality of it hit home hard. Somehow, she’d expected a mixed bag, but there was just a sea of men with various shades of blue skin and some more uniquely tinted.

This knowledge increased her awkwardness. She didn’t know where to look. She didn’t know what to do with her hands. Rubbing them along her thighs nervously, she was grateful when someone handed her a chalice. She nodded gratefully to whoever handed her the cup, and took a drink to give her hands something to do. Radris wandered, engulphed in a sea of men congratulating him. Kavala glanced up, saw Johnyat watching her, and then quietly nodded as he began to speak.

Anger rose in her again, sharp and fast, tasting bitter in her mouth. It wasn’t an emotion she liked or wanted to embrace, but for some reason it seemed fitting that she drop her voice and tell Johnyat just what she was thinking. Kavala was no wilting flower, not any longer, but someone hardened by the past and by what was happening to her now.

“Is that why there are no women here? And why he holds himself so apart? I’m not going to die on him. I’m a healer, for Rak’keli’s sake. A bunch of human scum beat me and worse repeatedly and I didn’t die. I won’t let this kill me. I certainly won’t leave a child motherless or allow a father to run off and do god knows what while others raise them. This part will be easy compared to the rest of what my life has been.” Kavala said, dropping her hand down to cradle her abdomen gently. She took a sip from the chalice, glanced over to see where Radris was, and shook her head. “I feel on display like this. He should not have brought me here. I vowed to love them both forever, and I will stick to that vow, but sometimes I cannot abide by what he does. You should give your broodmares more freedom, and choose your breeding stock more carefully. Each and every one of you are fools for using humans. Don’t you see?” She turned and looked at him then, meeting Radris’ grandfather straight in the eye. “The Konti are the only people on this world that are your equals. They are the missing halves of you, just as you are the missing halves they are too foolish to understand they lack. I think even the kelvics thin your blood. All this pain could be avoided if you just talked with Mura.”

“Thank you for telling me. I see why its important. Maybe it excuses him for drawing away. Maybe he will find the courage to be around. Maybe he wont. I hope, at least, that he will be there for his son or daughter.”
Kavala said, still watching Radris as she stood beside his grandfather. “But if he chooses not too, I’ll be the best mother I can be to my child. And none of you will take that from me.” She said softly, firmly, not trying to convince him, but absolutely convinced herself that what she said was true.

Tasival
Shayru
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous