Closed No Such Thing as Coincidence.

Arch and Naia meet, again! What are the odds?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

No Such Thing as Coincidence.

Postby Archailist on January 10th, 2014, 7:16 pm

3rd Day of Spring, 514.

Today, was another day frolicking around the rooftops of Nyka. After his previous abrupt escapade during a delivery, he hoped that the guards on watch wouldn't try to stop him again.. and if they did, that he would escape them this time. What use was it, to be a squirrel, if you couldn't outrun the guards. A Syliran Knight would do it - they would be able to run rings around the monks, even in their heaviest armor. At least, that's what he thought. To be completely honest with himself, he wasn't entirely sure what would happen if a Syliran Knight came to Nyka, but considering that it was surrounded and guarded by monks that were extremely well-armed with their fists alone.. they wouldn't really do that well. He'd find out for himself, soon enough - he'd find a way into the Knights ranks, and then he'd find out how he compared to them. Not well, he guessed, but he'd try anyway. And if he didn't do well, then he'd train himself up and do it again, over and over until he found a way past.

As it was, he was following the rooftops and making the occasional leap over a small breach or a small spring with his forelimbs to vault over a ridge. His real focus - the Flaxen District - would hopefully provide all of the equipment needed for his passage through the Wilderness and into Syliras. Yes, today was the day.. the day that he would leave Nyka, and head off to the famed city to gain glory as a Syliran Knight. He had learned all that he could, here. The Celestial Square soon gave way to the North Quarter after passing the Bridge of the Dead, and he scurried straight back up the nearest house possible and got a few stares for it, thanks to the use of his clay claws to dig into the crevices. Not to mention the amount of said crevices, and the depth of each one - it was like these red-brick walls were made for climbing, and he wasn't going to just walk on by without taking good use of this opportunity. Thankfully, the few that were following for a closer look couldn't keep up through the rush of people that kept the streets below filled. He needed to work on his speed.. he could make himself as agile as he liked, he still needed to be fast. Faster than a speeding arrow, swifter than a flying axe.. he was The Archailist!

And that's when he stopped, at last, with the gates of the city within eyesight and jumped down from the house that he'd been clung to, landing on a small retreat back into a drain and rolling to a stop by using his shoulder to brace the impact.. as well as his legs distending slightly. Finally. "Why couldn't they make these cities more Pycon-friendly, it's impossible to get around without having it turn into a full-body workout.." he muttered to himself absently, nearly lost entirely in thought at the possibility of a real Pycon-only city. A small place, made of clay and revolving around clay, like it should.. with money made out of clay, and food made out of clay, and houses and buildings and businesses made of clay. It would all be made entirely for them, in a world made for them, to grow up and enjoy, even though he knew that there would never be many inside because of their adventurous lifestyle.. but it would just be one place in this big, wide world where everything would just be.. smaller. And less crowded with giant people and their giant feet.

Soon, he was there. Although, this would only be the start. He needed to find a good mount.. something that would be capable of carrying him across the Wilderness. And a weapon. But where would he find such things? Well, he had absolutely no idea, to be frank. So, he'd do what anyone else in his situation would do. He'd venture out through the buildings, and the different shops of the district, in search of whatever they had and whatever they could offer that came close. And if they didn't have it, he was going to rip all of his clay out, by Syna.
Last edited by Archailist on January 13th, 2014, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on March 15th, 2014, 4:57 am

Naia's Speech | Thoughts | oocSory for the wait!
Naia walked in a daze, the bright dress and colour of the district blending into a writhing mass before her eyes. Laughter and chatter droned and dissolved into white noise, the Svefra's itch for the sea almost quaking her. 'Your fingers are pruned,' she reminded herself, nodding slowly as she made no effort to evade the odd shoulder barges and bumps that came from walking down the mid of the street with nothing on mind. She'd already spent several hours in Laviku's embrace that morning, all her rations given in homage to the God of the Seas, only forcing herself to bid the salt water a short farewell at behest of one of the laborers on the docks, an old friend of her grandmothers, she'd said she was.

Her stomach lurched and sank, the coloured dress and bright manner of life of the people of Nyka no longer exhilarating her. She needed to get out. Everything inside her was clawing for release. It felt wrong. Her grandmother was dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. And nothing had changed – her neighbours had still attempted to barter food the morning after, the house was still and stagnant, the air stale, reeking of the old woman’s sweet perfume. The day after was the worst; going through a lifetime of trinkets and knickknacks, not a single item of the entire home unfamiliar… it almost broke her.

Had she not been able to pull the strings required to have the woman set at peace to the sea, Naia doubted that she’d have been nearly as composed as she was – and she was on the verge of falling apart, her chest tight and aching, every step forward pressing her three back.

A hard jolt sent her crashing into reality, the hulking man in front of mumbling the shortest of apologies before he moved off, the Svefra pulling herself up with a breath that almost ended as a whimper. It was only two days ago – how could two short days feel so cripplingly long? How could the light of Syna feel so harsh and unsympathetic? How could even thought of the moon’s companionship turn her stomach so much?

She’d lost her family twice. The first of her own will, the second to Dira.

She felt a surge that had her blink back the watering in her eyes, gaze scanning over the stores absently, double taking when she saw a familiar sight. "Arch?"
Liar Naia
OOC Note: Decided to kick into gear and bring Naia back, but it might take a month or so until I'm happy that I've cleared everything.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Words: 146083
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2013, 3:25 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Archailist on March 16th, 2014, 2:06 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

Perched high within vantage point, with a view over most of the Flaxen District, it should have been little surprise that there would at least be one person within eyesight. However, it was a surprise to find that the person in question was Naia.. who, for the most part, he had only thought to be one of those odd-ishly kind monks that wandered constantly around the Hall of Robes. It would have made sense for that to be true. But to see her wandering around the Flaxen District was quite a shock to even the most stoic of mind. "Hey.. what are you doing here?" He didn't hesitate to hop down from the precarious edge of the stone roof, straight down to one of the wooden hanging signs and from there, to the Svefra's shoulder.

"I didn't think you'd be one to be searching around.. erm, slaves." She just didn't seem the type.. what with all of the tattoo'd, muscled slaves wandering around on the end of chains. And the girl being so.. well, petite, to put it kindly. He could handle a slave, he thought. Then again, it'd be best not to try his chances - the odds most certainly weren't in his favor. "Since you are here though, where are you going? I could use a ride to find some stuff - I'm heading out of Nyka."

His time had come. The days were drawing to a close.. and the monks here were starting to get on his nerves, just a little bit. The way some of them smiled, while others scowled on their way by. Not to mention how they had an absolute disregard for everyone else. You'd certainly never find any of that in Syliras, no sir.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on March 29th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Naia's Speech | Thoughts | oocSuper sorry for the wait!
The words cut into her like ice. Leaving Nyka. Arch was leaving Nyka. How pathetic was she that one of the few people she'd met on terms well enough to call a 'friend' wholly and truly was also in the midst of leaving her? Everyone had left her, those that hadn't were on the verge of doing so. "No," it was a childish bubble of denial that left her lips. No, no, no. She couldn't be left. A shudder and breath left her, twisting the word to have her seem as least desperate as she assumed she'd come off, clearing her throat and sending a short glance down the bustling street as her mind sought, in absent thought, gauging whether or not she could quite deal with the crowds ahead. "No slaves.

She took a step back and gathered herself, nodding slowly as she warmed to the thought, gesturing to her shoulder with a tired grin, a million questions playing in her mind. "No worries on my end - so long as you don't mind a dozen and one questions," she managed a giggle at her words, waiting for Arch to do or say what ever it was he wished before starting off towards the edges of the district, feet moving mechanically as she made for the store that her grandmother had taken her to before their short expedition to the sea when she was younger. She wasn't all too sure if the supplies would suit her pycon friend, but they'd suit her.

'What am I doing?'

She almost broke her walk completely, and veered to the right as though she was merely avoiding a lump of onlookers, mouth dry as she lost the filter between her mind and mouth. "Where are you going- how?"
Liar Naia
OOC Note: Decided to kick into gear and bring Naia back, but it might take a month or so until I'm happy that I've cleared everything.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Archailist on March 30th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Was, as always, the ever-curious. Just the knowledge that the girl wasn't there to buy slaves just made him even more curious to find out what she was around for. She just wouldn't be able to escape it - then again, when did anyone match the sheer hunger for knowledge, needless or not, that the squirrel had? For most, it'd just ended up turning them mad. "Well, then what are you doing here? What're you buying? Why are you buying them? I don't see why you need to be in here specifically to get anything, I mean, all I've ever seen around here is slaves for sale. Some other stuff too, but that's mostly for the slaves that you buy. Are there things you need to get for slaves working in the Hall of Robes? Are there slaves in the Hall of Robes?" Oh yes. Immediately, there were too many questions for even the squirrel to manage to ask in one breath. Not that he exactly needed breath, but he needed respite for a few seconds between every third question before he could ramble off again. And this meant that he gave absolutely no time for Naia to reply to any of them - it quite effectively removed any reason in asking, but the squirrel still rambled on, heedless. Perhaps one day, someone would get past that thick clay skull of his.

But once the girl asked her questions, the squirrel stopped and stared for several long moments. "I told you, didn't I? I want to become a Syliran Knight. But I can't very well do that in Nyka, now can I?" Well, his logic was pretty sound. "I'm going to take up refuge with a few merchants as a hired bodyguard, heh. Buy some equipment like a riding dog and some survival equipment and then I'm going to go out, and back to my home-city. Most of my training is already done, but I think I need to try a bit more on the way before I can pass as a real Syliran Knight. Either way, it promises to be a challenging endeavor!" Oh yes. The squirrel was even trying to talk to a knight now. Already, he could imagine himself upon his brand-new dog-steed, riding out and about Syliras and doing all the stuff a knight should. And then, maybe, he'd become old and end up training other young squires, like he'd once been. They'd misbehave and he'd whack them until they learned how to be dignified, but humble. And he'd show everyone that he wasn't just a useless lump of clay.

"But, it's gonna be long, too." He hadn't picked up a map yet, but the journey from Syliras to Nyka had taken a good long 50 days or so with his father. With a merchant, all that stuff to carry, doubtless that it would take quite a bit longer than that.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on April 6th, 2014, 3:26 am

The onslaught of questions took the Svefra by surprise, and it took a chime frowns and mental sorting to figure what to answer and how to speak it. "I was hoping to purchase... I don't know." She let her words trail as her frown set deeper, weaving in between monks and fellow civilians alike, too happy for the diversion to care for the odd looks they were receiving. "There are no slaves kept in the Halls, all who do work are paid for it, more so because of the education levels that are required for such tasks, I think. Since the monks want all to work to pull their weight and earn their rations, perhaps they'd think slaves no worthy of dealing with the texts and knowledge. I do not know."

The thought and concept of a slave never sat right with her - owning anything at all never sat right in her Svefran mind, little lone another living, breathing, being. She'd rather pay her debts with word and action than coin, as she did when she was a child, when she'd tell a tale to learn a new trick with the blade, or help cook a meal in order to avoid a sailing duty. Favours for favours, aid for aid, knowledge for knowledge - not coin or gold or what ever it was that the monks of Laat were so concerned with. Her grandmother had tried to explain it to her, once. All to no avail.

'The knights, of course.'

She almost scolded herself for not recalling sooner, nodding slowly as the vogs turned and her memory worked. "I can't believe I almost forgot about that-how long exactly? Dangerous? How far from the sea?" She kept her speed at a generous pace, her back tall and gaze level, seeking a store that would be of any aid in the ways that Arch required, the curve of her lips turning upwards slightly as she took note of store that appeared to sell things in the ways of wilderness survival, and wasted little time in breaching the short distance between it and them.
Liar Naia
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Archailist on April 9th, 2014, 7:21 pm

He wasn't going to answer any of her questions, if she couldn't answer any of his! For once, the squirrel was quite annoyed. It wasn't every day that he didn't get a straight answer to his questions, after all. If he didn't, then he just ended up asking more until he did. "You don't know what you were going to purchase? Then how do you know you're in the right place to buy what you don't know? How do you buy what you don't know?" At least he already knew about the Hall of Robes. Or he'd thought he did, anyway. If there were slaves wandering around in there, he would have seen them going in and coming out. Or inside. He hadn't, though - not even a sign of where they would have worked, or anything to keep them there. Any sign of their presence.

Nor had he seen much ocean, but there was some. "It's quite a distance away.. when I came here, it took about fifty to sixty days of riding. And I need to get a new riding dog. And it's quite dangerous. But that's what being a knight is all about.. you know." Well, it wasn't. He didn't know what was. He wasn't a knight - yet. But soon enough, when he crossed the Wilderness again, and returned to Syliras. Then he'd become a knight. Probably knight him on the spot, for all of his bravery. And then he'd be off, doing.. whatever it was that knights did. He didn't know what exactly that would be, but he knew that he'd be happy doing it.

"Which is why I need plenty of stuff on top of that.. riding dog and saddle, and some rope, and some rations, and a tent, and all that.. actually, I've got more to collect than I can damn count!" Damn expensive journey. Why couldn't they just make Nyka closer to Syliras?
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on April 17th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Naia's Speech | Thoughts
Naia drummed her mind as she thought on the barrage of questions that Arch had launched at her. Had be always been so inquisitive? Was that a bad thing of any sort. She let her mind drift and return, thoughts to her wages and how much coin she had spare, before considering her home and selling - with all and any inheritance she could have gained lost to the flames. 'Don't think about it.' "I'll know it when I see it - a lot of things are like that. Like a trinket that reminds me of the seas, or new knife or blade. I can't always trust my mind and memory, though I'd like to think that I will never let myself down in such a regard."

When words of time and travel finally came, Naia held a breath and released it in a rush. Two thirds of a season. Away from the sea. Her gaze shot towards the rolling waves, her gnosis writhing on her stomach as she felt the caress of the wind and the yearn for the waters. "That's... quite the distance indeed." More mentions of knights came, but Naia was only half in the conversation. Her pycon friend was noble, he was dutiful and dedicated. He'd make the cut, of that she was sure. Or at least, in persona. Truth be told, she knew nothing of his skills and capabilities.

As their journey marched on, she kept her pace sweet and steady, pausing outside the stall of choice and gesturing to Arch. "Anything here of aid?" she ensured that she remained on task, the will of the action lasting only a moment - an idea springing to her lips before she could quite help it. "Mind if I came along?" Regret surged in her gut in an instant, but the words were already spoken and her chest tight and locked.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Archailist on April 23rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

Of course, her answers were not enough. One way or another, they never were - it seemed he would never be able to satisfy his lust for knowledge. Everyone always gave an answer that wasn't really an answer, or an answer that just led to even more questions.. or they answered a question with a question. Or didn't answer the question at all. Honestly, sometimes, he wondered why he even bothered. But then he realized that asking himself a question was possibly one of the worst things in the world to do. So, he ignored that little screeching voice in the back of his head and tried to think of other, better things. "But I won't know it when I see it, does it look like the sea? Or a blade?"

Oh. And the traveling. He'd almost forgotten that entirely. "It's a long journey but it's worth it in the end. Were you born here - haven't you ever left the city, or did you even come from another one? You've spent your entire life just sat in the same city, always wondering what it was like outside but never visiting?" It seemed so.. odd. But then again, it seemed many odd people did odd things in this place. Like worship a giant hole in the ground and believe that monsters would crawl out of it at night to protect them. "Anyway, it's not like I haven't taken the journey before. The last time was with my father.. he escorted me from Syliras to Nyka so that I could follow in what I wished. To learn the skills I'd need to become a knight.. explore the world a little before I settled down. He thought it was important that I saw at least a bit of the world before all of that." They'd ridden dogs the entire way. Part of it, he'd been taught some of the smaller things that his father could offer. But, all he needed was the right company. A few good supplies to stay alive wouldn't hurt either.

Not that he could really see anything. This place was filled with slaves, and what good would slaves be? And then, he caught sight of what they'd been moving towards the entire time. A stall, of tents and ropes, torches.. he needed them all, damn it. But not just that. He needed a dog to carry himself, and all of the equipment. The squirrel hopped straight off the girls lap and onto the wooden table set up as soon as they could get close enough. "Right. Tent, the large one made for four. Torches, ten of them. Two lengths of that hemp rope, a waterskin, a winter blanket and a bedroll, and... wait, is how much is this compass?" The squirrel struggled to heave the metal thing in his hold, gods forbid if he should have to carry all of this with him. Then again, he'd need it, he supposed. All of it to survive.. he wouldn't even be able to read a map if he couldn't see which direction he was heading in.

The balding monk still struggled to fetch everything as quickly as the squirrel listed them off his tongue. Rope, held in bundles, with waterskins and bundled blankets and bedrolls.. torches.. tents.. lanterns.
"That is a very good compass. Sturdy, will help on your journey. 200 gold Miza's." The squirrel struggled not to drop the thing sheerly under its own weight, let alone when he heard how much the lump of fancy metal cost. 200 Gold Mizas, just for that? Well.. he'd need it. There wouldn't be a doubt. Daylight robbery, and he tried not to scowl.. but added it to the rest of the pile that had soon gathered. Far above what he'd be able to carry alone.. he'd definitely be needing that dog now. Or a full-grown horse by the looks of things. Did they even make saddle-bags for riding dogs in these parts of Mizahar?

"That's all, my monk." A tent, for four. A compass, ten torches, bedroll and blanket, two lengths of rope, a hooded lantern and a compass. All in all, about 229 Gold, and 7 Silver Miza's. He struggled to carry all of the money about with him but soon there was a lot of clattering coin spilling out over the table. He could afford it, at least. That was what mattered most. "Naia, mind helping me with all of this? Now all I need is my dog and then I'll be ready to leave."
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on May 10th, 2014, 5:23 am

Woo placeholder text

Speech | Thoughts
Naia had almost forgotten how she felt about the pycon's questions. They were rushed and curious, always seeking to deepen his knowledge and gain greater footholds in his understanding. Had the Svefra not already seen Arch as a friend - one of her few - she would have likely hated his insatiable thirst. "What form would something that looked like the sea come in, I wonder," her words were light and carried an even tempo, tone and manner of speech taking on a twang and manner that wasn't quite natural. "Would it be a gem or a parchment, book or quill. Would the ocean be carried in carving or in paint-" she silenced herself with a slight shake of her head, ploughing through her thoughts until she straightened and thought in line, a hand absently moving to the pendent that dangled from her fine rope chain.

"I would like a blade, yes; a cutlass, preferably. I haven't used one since I was young..." but it'd be awfully useful in travel, no?' She mulled the use of the weapon over in her mind, the smell of salt water and whip of winter winds breaking her sluggish trance, a sharp shudder slipping her spine once more as the passing of her grandmother flashed through her mind. 'Time and place. Time and place. Time and Place.' She once more shed her negative thoughts from mind, recalling her purpose as she awaited the pycon’s purchase and words.

It took another sharp breath and a brushing of the hair from her face, the prickle of tears threatening to break leaving after a short rubbing of her eyes, and the pycon continuing on to speak of travels and journeys and a life far from Nykan soil, before she could finally act and speak as her mind had decreed, even if it was the merest of sentences that she managed. "Laviku, no. I was not born to Nyka- I am Svefra, a child of the ocean. It was the wintry seas to the North that I once called home."

The sound of waves washed over her as a stranger smelling of salt and fish brushed past, a strange weakness in her knees striking before she almost buckled, gaze finding the squirrel and setting firm on him as she let her mind gather on the places she'd seen as a child. ‘Petch, why am I so bad at this? It’s not the first loved one I’ve lost.’ She gave a long moment to thought on Arch's later words, a question of her own springing to her lips before much could be helped. "And your father," her words were measured and tone careful, quite unwilling to offend her dear friend - but yearning and itching and clawing to hear that it was one who understood her pain that she spoke to. "He is no longer here?"

The conversation had been a jump and run and a strange twist of topics, enough to keep Naia's mind somewhat preoccupied as she attempted to purge herself of negative thoughts. She took the equipment handed to her with a frown and a short nod, the manner of Arch's speech - so soon to leave and firm of thought - having her mind jar and splutter, forcing the words to leave her clearer once more. "Can I come-I mean, with you- out of Nyka. I want, need to leave," for a woman whose life was wit and words, the choppiness of her speech and the throwing of words causing a pang of regret to coarse through her.
Liar Naia
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Next