[The Broken Casket] Sing Me a Melody

Tsukiko goes to the Broken Casket and meets Nanuk. What shall conspire?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Tsukiko on January 18th, 2014, 10:37 am

12th of Winter, 513

Though it was not dark yet, a few lamps already glowed, their rays reflecting off the moist air, each beam so clear they almost seemed tangible. The salty air of the Suvan was a welcome scent, as Tsu made her way to the Broken Casket. She had visited the inn, which was frequented by many a seafarer, only a few times and had discovered that it promised more than a simple entertaining tale or two.

Walking through the front doors, she was surprised to find that it seemed to be a slow day, a few free tables here and there, while a cheery fire fought off the cold. The first time she had entered the inn, it had seemed as if the building had been splitting at the seams, with loud and raucous, yet infectious singing travelling through the room, as sailors emptied their purses on spirits. No matter, it was a nice change of pace. Choosing a free table in a corner that was relatively close to the fireplace, she settled in, noting some of the other occupants in the room.

There were a few merchants, made apparent by the clothes they wore, which despite some slight wear and tear, seemed to be made from good cloth, as well as a few glittering pieces of finery here and there. The majority of the guests were, of course, sailors, presumably the crew of the merchant ships, but also the stray fisherman, and Svefran. Settling back in her seat, Tsukiko let the conversations wash over her, like soothing waves on the sand, quietly humming a made-up melody.

'What does it take to become a bard?' The question had been on her mind for the past couple of days. She had been in search of work, when she had come up with the idea. Afterall, she enjoyed singing and what was better than earning your keep by doing what you loved? However, though she had seen the bards at the Rearing Stallion during her work there as a barmaid, she didn't truely know what was required to become one, nor had she asked. 'Perhaps I will ask the next one I meet,' she thought momentarily, before considering what she whether or not to choose the fish special, or the the five course meal.
e
e
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko
Sings both night & noon, dreaming of the moon

Words: 123880
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2013, 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nanuk on January 22nd, 2014, 1:14 am

Tonight was getting desperate. Nanuk had played across numerous taverns and pubs, singing with as much honey and gusto as he could, but nobody seemed to be all that receptive tonight. He shrugged further into his cloak as he inhaled the salty air. It looked like he would be playing for the...modest...folk in the Broken Casket tonight. His stomach loved the sound of that. How was he supposed to become a great bard when all he did was play in small pubs? What glory was in that?

Annoyed Emerald eyes turned upwards, hoping to glare happily on Rhaus, maybe Ionu. His luck had certainly dropped since he left the domain of the Trickster God. Mud-laden boots tread harder than normal on the rickety wooden flooring before the entrance of the seaside tavern. He stopped before the door, and sighed heavily, closing slightly forlorn blue eyes briefly, and looking at the drum in his hands; thumbing over it's carvings and paint fondly.

He remembered the first song he sang. He was twelve summers old, and fancied a girl who visited his mother's shop. She laughed at him indignantly, until he tried another song in Vanthan. The way that language took to song was like how bread took to butter. She'd moved away next season, but then, he knew.

Smirking, his spirits raised a little. He may not yet be playing for lords...but from the unusual quiet within, he felt he could at least do something. He stepped in softly, and looked around. There was a lovely girl sitting a few feet from him, a score of sailors and Svefra, with some wealthier merchants taking up tables in the back. For a decent crowd, this seemed a bit quiet indeed. Perhaps he would have to change that.

Festive gold eyes fringed with purple gleamed in the torchlight. "Evening, Ladies and gentlemen!" he cried out. "What a lovely night for you all to be so droll." He found it in himself to regain energy and pat by a number of inebriated sailors, who smiled in greeting. A bard with drums. They were common sights on ships. He began a simple, fun drum beat and voices started to wake up, listening and chatting about him. This was a good start.

He turned his ever-changing eyes to the young woman in the corner, and bowed politely to her. "Dear lady, would you like me to play you a song? Or perhaps a story?" He asked politely. "I will say, I don't know many sea shanties myself, but I'm happy to do some old Vanthan folk songs. Perhaps even some fun, sweet songs from Alvadas."
Nanuk
Player

Words: 22545
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2012, 3:14 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Tsukiko on February 28th, 2014, 2:16 am

Tsu watched as the youth entered the Casket, her eyes lighting up with curiosity at the sight of his drum. 'I think of a bard, and here one appears...' she thought, with a hint of a smile. Her eyes traced the carvings and strokes of paint on the drum, quietly marvelling the instrument, her attention wavering between it and it's owner.
How would it sound? What sort of rhythms did he play with his slender fingers that held the drum? How did his voice sound he sang? What sort of songs did he sing?
The questions piled up quickly in her mind, near bursting out of her mouth, but were quenched when the man called out to all ears in the tavern, and began an upbeat rhythm.

As he did, it was as if the room brightened, the conversations around her picking up to a relatively steady tempo, caught in beat of the drum. While some began discussing the newcomer amongst themselves, others, like herself, listened to him as he played. After a few moments, she began to hum quietly in-time with his beat, faint harmonies filtering through her thoughts, before they slipped away without a trace.

He seemed to have the air of a showman, perhaps it was the manner in which he had addressed the room, later directed towards her. His eyes however, were quite astonishing; mainly, she noticed hues of gold with hints of purple, among others, realizing that he must be of the Vantha. A small laugh escaped her at the words 'Dear lady,' having never gotten used to people calling her as such. "Tsu is fine," she said, her eyes flickering down towards his drum.
"A song would be quite wonderful. Besides, having lived at sea, I have heard many a shanty," she replied just as politely, though she unable to suppress an eager smile, "I always love to hear something new."

oocSorry for the long wait! Hope this isn't too short...

Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko
Sings both night & noon, dreaming of the moon

Words: 123880
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2013, 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes