Completed [The Silver Sliver Tavern] Tooth and Nail

Sometimes, violence can be the answer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[The Silver Sliver Tavern] Tooth and Nail

Postby Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 9:42 am

12th of Winter, 513AV

~The scene starts at the day's 21th bell, the moon shining high in the sky, spilling its ghastly light upon the waters of Ravok. Venser Rush walked through the city, intent on causing a disturbance.~

Tonight was the night. Years of living in the city of Ravok, and Venser had done his utmost to prevent a fight, not fond of the concept of submitting oneself to the possibility of being beaten senseless by drunkards. After all, the experience was already one that Venser was intimately familiar with. But, the trauma had to be lifted, and the pursuit of a fight, where the young man was in a condition and standing to defend himself, was more than adequate to do so. Perhaps he'd even win. Considering that Venser had little desire to implement the Flux on a common person, he doubted that he would, but there was a chance.

The Rush twin set foot into the bar, his feet clearly taking him in the direction of the bar as he set four copper mizas upon the bar's surface. "
A mug of ale please, Jeb." In truth, Venser only knew the bartender by name and reputation. This was because the tavern that he, when the rare desire for alcohol rose in his throat, frequented most was the Malt House. Verin worked there and he had known Grayson for a number of years, even before his brother chose his employ. This was the reason that Venser chose the Silver Sliver, because it wouldn't tarnish his brother's reputation. Besides, it was best if Verin didn't know about this. He was likely going to find out regardless, but Venser was by no means going to make it easier for him.

Jeb nodded slowly, turning to reach for a mug and open the tap to fill the younger man's drink. Venser allowed his thoughts to drift, his crystalline eyes casting their gaze about the tavern in search for his... target. It was... a new experience, to say the least. Venser was not one prone to people watching, being a reclusive sort by nature, but he found that observation had its benefits as well. He noted a group of middle-aged men recounting tales to one another, mugs of ale in hand as they laughed jovially at the hi-jinks of their youth.

Perhaps their experiences were similar to what Venser was doing at this very moment. He didn't bother listening in, finding it to be a waste of his time as he cast his gaze instead on a group of mixed gender. Three woman and four men, each of the males attempting to outdo one another, the alpha-male mentality making its appearance in the form of foolish bravado and vulgar gestures. A multitude of mugs sat upon the table, most of which were nearby the hands of the men. Venser's gaze flickered to the women, instead, admiring one particular beauty sitting in the center, lush, black tresses framing a lovely, ivory-toned face.

Venser allowed himself to become momentarily distracted from his pursuit as the mug was placed behind him, Venser taking it in his hands and placing it to his lips. Tilting his head back to take a drink, the ale flowed down his throat, the male's gaze still fixated upon the visage of beauty. The woman's eyes lifted their gaze from the chaotic gesturing at the table, emerald eyes meeting Venser's icy stare. A fluttering arose in the male's chest, a grin materializing upon his expression for just a moment, the gesture returned by the woman just before she was distracted by the goings on around her.

Wow... Venser shook his head, intent on banishing the distraction from his mind as he continued his search, but his gaze faltered occasionally, returning to the woman more often than not, his search interrupted.
Last edited by Venser Rush on January 22nd, 2014, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Words: 350153
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 10:46 am

Several chimes of subtle flirtatious exchange ensued between Venser and the nameless woman, the mixture of the temptress' winking and her eyes that spoke of sin causing him to become flustered. The glass of ale was left alone during the time, quick swallows taken whenever the woman became distracted by her party. The man's Adam's Apple twitched as he gulped his last mouthful of ale, the glass pushed towards the bartender, another four copper mizas pulled from his pocket. "
Another, please." Venser paid no mind to Jeb now, solely focused upon the woman, though her frame was eventually hidden behind that of a man rising from his seat. Venser failed to notice this as he trailed into his thoughts, You have to stop this. You came here for a reason, Venser.

Fingers closed around the handle of his mug, Venser tilting his head back again as the ale trickled down his throat. Just as he swallowed the first sip, a man, one from the table where the temptress was sitting at, swatted at the mug, sending it crashing to the floor, shattering on impact. Venser winced as the glass was torn from his fingers, the skin of his index finger peeling away just slightly as Venser looked up. Hands lowered to close around the boy's collar, raising the young man from his stool with obvious effort as he was slammed against the bar. The force focused on Venser's waist, a pained gasp escaping the engraver's lips as his aggressor called out, "
You starin' at my girl? Huh? Answer the petching question!"

Petch... that hurt. Looks like I got what I wanted, though. A grin materialized upon Venser's expression as he shrugged, making light of the situation, intent on egging on his attacker. "And if I am? What are you going to do about it? Clearly, your 'girl' isn't as interested in you as you imply." The engraver's head shook with laughter before he spit in the man's face, taking the ensuing distraction by means of disgust as an opportunity to level the playing field. Pushed against a low wall, Venser's torso was in a backwards incline, his legs locked in place against the bar. He needed freedom of movement. Clenching his jaw, Venser pushed himself forward, closing the distance between himself and his attacker as his neck propelled his head forward. The crown of his skull collided with his attacker's forehead, sending both reeling. Venser was still against the bar, his hands flew out to support him as he muttered, "No doubt that was effective, but petch it hurts..."

The skin had parted at the crown of his skull, blood matting into Venser's hair, though luckily, it seemed not to be severe enough to bleed profusely. His field of vision was wide, if blurred from the impact, Venser raising his hands in an obviously flawed attempt at guarding his body. The other man's injury was worse than Venser's, the crown's harder bone surface having crashed against the flesh of his forehead. The man's forehead had already began to swell, one eye closed as he stumbled backwards several feet, nearly falling over. "
Bloody 'ell, did you just... Petch this, man. You're gonna die." Venser managed a laugh, harsh and aggressive in nature. Oh, the rush of it all. I can feel it, head pounding, fingers burning... I can feel... everything. A grin materialized upon the Rush twin's features as he raised his hands again, "Sure, I will. Let your fists spit out the words, instead. I tire of your girlish squeal."
Last edited by Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 11:28 am

Egging the man on was just the beginning of tonight's fun. Even if Venser lost, he sincerely doubted that the bartender would allow a murder to ensue within his property. Venser might be beaten senseless, but eventually... someone would intervene. But, Venser was to do his utmost to win. Especially since this "fight" wasn't orchestrated by him, anyway. The bastard had egged it on, claiming the temptress who had targeted Venser with her devious seduction. Venser paid little mind to his own hypocrisy, instead focusing on the ensuing exchange.

When his "opponent" had righted his posture, he lunged at the engraver, his fist closed and clenched as he threw it forward, its trajectory intended to collide with Venser's jaw. He was too fast for the young man, instinctively clenching his jaw as the bony appendage made contact with it. Blood filled his mouth as his teeth scraped against his gums, the force of contact forcing Venser's body from the bar onto the floor. He coughed twice, blood pooling on the floor as his opponent approached, his posture raised as he launched a kick at Venser's body. Coughing as the foot made contact, blood continued to spill onto the floor, crimson liquid infused with spittle staining the floor.

Rage overwhelmed Venser as the pain seared through his mind, his ribs, where the kick had made contact, and his jaw throbbing, burning, did nothing to comfort him. Almost instinctively, the engraver's eyes closed, pulling djed from the confines of his soul, the energy filling his left arm as Venser's left hand reached for the nearest stool. Strength filled the limb, the stool's weight insignificant as he swung his body, moving his arm as he launched the stool at his attacker.

The piece of furniture made contact with the man, breaking into pieces, splintered wood lodging itself into the man's arms and hands as he shouted out in anger. The force pushed the man back, the attacker colliding into an empty table as Venser scrambled to his feet. His right hand rose to wipe his bloodied mouth as the rush seemed to return,
Brilliant... Absolutely brilliant. He made me employ the Flux. And now, in addition to the adrenaline flooding the Mage's body, Djed was coursing through his arm, leaking into his mind as the giddiness filled his thoughts. Even the pain had begun to go away...

Ha. Hahaha! I should... hit him while he's recoiled like that. Not one to disobey his instincts, Venser stepped forward, his left fist clenched, the strength in his hand and the lack of pain in his body allowing him ease of movement as he stepped forward. The man and the table he had crashed into lay on the ground in a heap, limbs sprawled about, tangled in the legs of the table. No... I am not that sort of coward, he reconsidered, waiting for his attacker to rise from the floor, "Get up. You said I was going to die, didn't you? Do it, then. Kill me." A grin had materialized upon the Mage's features, his eyes wide as adrenaline amplified his senses. Ticks were passing so slowly to him, it seemed. He felt... invincible, the pain from before gone, the man on the floor, both taller and older than him by appearance, collapsed on the ground. The Flux is a powerful ally...

Venser waited patiently as the man climbed to his feet, a grin spread across the Mage's features. The crowd of customers, used to seeing fights break out, seemed not to mind the violence, the bartender even watching idly, as if amused. Several people had walked in during the course of the "battle," attracted like moths to a flame by the resulting ruckus.

Last edited by Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 12:55 pm

The other man took almost thirty ticks to rise, the short space of time feeling much, much longer as Venser felt the blood pulsing through his head, the pounding of his heart filling his ears. His breathing was ragged from injury, not felt in the mind but discernible to the body. His injured ribs pressed to his lungs, the swollen flesh constricting the flow of oxygen, a dull pang felt in place of the normal pain that the wounds would inflict. The man rose to his feet, grabbing a mug from a nearby table, still filled with a stranger's ale. Throwing the glass like a projectile, it connected with the right side of Venser's hips, the glass not quite shattering on impact, but Venser felt the impact. He sensed the bone cracking under the force of the blow. The injury would likely hurt like all hell later on, but Venser was enraged, fueled by Djed and adrenaline, and he sought out vengeance.

He threw himself at his adversary, holding down the man's left arm with his right as he curled his left hand into a fist, crashing it into the fool's chest. The blow constricted the man's chest, forcing terrible coughs from his lips as his head rolled back onto the floor. Coughing up blood, the spittle stained Venser's face, the rush, the desire to continue attacking was so... prevalent. He launched another punch, and then another, his eyes wide with rage, but they took in nothing. He just needed to... strike. His mind went blank. Three punches later, and the man lay on the floor, eyes closed, blood pooling from his mouth and spilling onto the floor. Two of the man's teeth were lodged in Venser's hand, piercing the flesh deeply, Venser's own blood staining his skin and the side of the man's face.

His opponent lay broken on the floor below him, clearly breathing, albeit weakly in his state of unconsciousness. It was then that the bartender intervened, pulling Venser off of the unconscious man's body, holding the young Mage by his arms as he said, "
That's enough, boy. He's done. Barely breathing. And as for you, get the petch out of my bar before I decide to do the same to you." Venser took several moments to decide whether or not he wanted to fight the man. What?! Why?! He ATTACKED me. He deserves what he gets! He has to DIE. The words were meant to be spoken aloud, yet his voice did not materialize. Venser's eyes were still wide, the world returning to him as he looked around.

The amusement that had been present upon the faces within the bar was far gone, horror present on the expressions of the people that the man had been sitting at. The woman Venser had seen earlier, flirtation by means of playful stares, was terrified of him now.
I was defending myself. It was not out of order. He threatened to KILL me. I cannot allow my light to be extinguished! Venser nodded slowly, deciding to keep his thoughts to himself as he rose to his feet, loosing himself from Jeb's grasp. "I'll... just be going now, then." Jeb nodded in acceptance of Venser's words, allowing the younger man to leave undisturbed.

Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 19th, 2014, 1:19 pm

~The scene changes. Ten chimes pass as Venser Rush traverses the path towards Tarsin's Boarding House, the young man eager to go home. The Djed had begun to recede, pain swelling within Venser's body as feeling returned to him.~

Pain. It shot through Venser's body like a fire traveling along a fuse. It burned through his limbs and overwhelmed his mind. At the first burst, Venser stumbled, resting his body against the wall of a nearby building, coughing violently as the struggle to breathe became a legitimate one. His chest ached from the kick to the ribs, intensifying as the swelling expanded, rendering Venser's breathing into a series of deep gasps followed by a fit of coughs.

The young man's face was swelling, as well. His jaw had been severely injured in the course of the "battle," for lack of a better word. It was little more than a brawl, but it had served its purpose.
I know what it is to hate. To wish to crush that which opposes me. That... man, if he can be called that, was nothing more than an enemy to be destroyed. Venser attempted to raise his left arm to rub his chin, but he failed. Pain pulsed through the entirety of the limb, the pikes of djed having torn the muscles asunder. It wasn't the first time it had happened, and Venser was now used to it, but being unable to move his left, dominant arm was a major inconvenience.

Rather, he raised his left arm with his right, gritting his teeth as the muscles of his left arm whined in protest, burning painfully along its length as Venser examined his hand. "
Are those... teeth?" At the least the bastard's jaw hadn't been destroyed. He could learn to live without a few teeth, pay his penance for daring to attack a mage. The first thought to his mind was that of joy. Teeth were bones... And bones were useful to him. I need to go to the Healing Hand immediately tomorrow. Good thing Mikayas told me that he was taking the day off... Part of the reason why I decided to do this. I can seek out treatment... Then Maledict these teeth, tell this story to the djed... Excitement bloomed within the Mage anew as the possibility struck him. The fortune that was this. He could finally pursue the path that he had seen as stagnant for so long. With HUMAN bones. This is exciting...

Venser had been eagerly anticipating the day that he could use human remains, his wish for it far passing the point of desperation. More than once he had wished he had gills like a fish to retrieve a corpse from the bottom of the river, but alas, he lacked that evolutionary miracle.

His thoughts were distracted by a new rush of pain, his arm erupting in spasms as the last of the whiplash coursed through it. "
Ahhh... AGH." Venser cried out as the spiking djed popped the joint of his arm, dislocating both the shoulder and elbow simultaneously, his fingers shaking like mad as cuts immaculately opened along his hand and wrist, droplets of blood fleeing from wounds as Venser bit on his tongue to prevent from crying out again.

The young Flux Mage quickly climbed to his room, resting his unusable left arm on his knee as he plucked the teeth from his flesh, placing them in his coat pocket to save for later. Exhaustion hit the Mage like a carriage hit a small dog, Venser pulling his blanket over his body just as the world went black.

Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Abstract on January 20th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Grade Awarded!

~|-|~

Venser

Award :
Skills

~ Observation – 1
~ Brawling – 3
~ Flux - 1

Lores

~ The Rush of a Fight

Other

Venser has a cut on his finger that will heal in 10 days. He has two broken ribs that will heal in 30 days with medical treatment, and 65 days without. The cut on his head will heal in 15 days with medical treatment, though will take double that without it.

+ 3 human teeth

~|-|~

Notes

Teeth! Nice way of getting them. Use them well! Otherwise, as good as all your solos… keep it up!
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)