Quest Secrets abound in the Menagerie

Pre-Quest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Secrets abound in the Menagerie

Postby Ablation on January 22nd, 2014, 7:10 am

10th Winter, 513 AV

The path was slippery with the passage of people and the sun reflected off the ice brilliantly. The menagerie was bustling with activity; dogs, cats and sheep paced openly on the path watched by their owners out of the corner of their eyes. "This is a special kind of hell...ten hours standing here waiting for you..." One woman whispered across the counter to the grinning man on the other side. At the end of the path were several stalls with horses and elk for sale. Buyers stood around hands running over legs checking for soundness and picking up hooves checking for tameness.

The bustle of activity was unprecedented all winter, all due to the creature in one of the stalls. A large bull elk, smoke puffing from his nostrils as he snorted warily at the customers. It was unusual that such a prime breeding stud was up for sale. He pawed at the ground impatiently, having likely never been penned in his life.

The crowd whispered to each other speculating about why such a creature was for sale. "Do you think a nicer looking boy was born?" asked a Frostfawn teen gazing up at Lusina curiously. Several store owners had left their shops unattended to see the bull, others blatantly ignored the bull tending to their animals and hawking a nice hunting dog or mouser.

One woman walked away from a shop cupping a tiny orange kitten in her palms. Her weathered fingers stroking the ears tenderly as if she had finally found her most cherished friend. Nose touched nose and childish giggle whispered past the woman's pale lips.

A hunter slid from another shop a team of dogs at the ends of their leashes gruffing and howling giddily when their coats hit the sunshine. Frowning, the hunter gathered them under his control before tying them up to the post outside the shop. "Behave boys," He ordered. Like most hunters he was gruff, and of few words. He walked through the door his stride bred into him from a young age, careful and firm.

A single Icewatch member slipped through the crowd quietly his band uncharacteristically in his pocket. He moved with a carefree swagger whistling at the sun as he strode reaching down to scruff the happy heads of the dogs the hunter had left out before carrying into the crowd that gazed at the impressive bull.

Even Jedara had ventured from her melancholy to speak with various Vantha. They wished her good will and healthy times which produced a forced smile in response.

Kavak:

The bulls breath brushed across the mans face, hot and wet. His deep brown eyes and long eyelashes blinked slowly at the man. Despite the anxiety with which the creature paced his movements were characteristically slow and tempered assessing the situation. People jumbled Kavak back and forth in their effort to get close to bull.

Lusina moved through the crowd easily with the young girl at her side until she stood beside Kavak gazing at the bull critically. "What do you see chickita?" She asked the girl. "Well...it's a male obviously. The horns tell you THAT!" The posh girl responded. "Females can't have horns?" The girl paused looking up at Lusina and shook her head slowly, "I-I don't think so?"

Lusina turned to Kavak smiling, "What about you? What do you see?" She asked. Lusina was a teacher at heart and even strangers could manage to get a passing lesson from her in a crowd if they played their cards right.

Snowdrop:

The old woman almost bumped into the young girl, her focus so intent on the tiny kitten. "Oh hello dear, I'm so sorry." She murmured, before her attention was back on the critter and she was walking past the Vantha. Everyone moved about her as if she didn't exist, treated like a child ruffian.

All teenagers were stared at with skepticism since the vandalism. Every season more and more children had gotten up to chaos. In response the elders and adults of Avanthal had begun ignoring their presence unless it was forced upon them.

Spirit:

Spirit had a reputation among the Vantha so despite the reputation of children her age she was acknowledged by the Vantha. All teenagers were stared at with skepticism since the vandalism. Every season more and more children had gotten up to chaos. In response the elders and adults of Avanthal had begun ignoring their presence unless it was forced upon them.

From the doorway of her shop Reikanni stared and catching the young Vantha's eye frowned at her before disappearing into her shop. Usually one of the most chatty and friendly of the Vantha she also had the most romanticized view of animals treating them as friends as opposed to work animals.

Skidril:

Reikanni returned from the doorway. Her shop door was split in two so the bottom would be closed keeping her animals indoors but opening the top to encourage air flow when it got too stuffy. The sunshine and relatively warm day had the windows uncovered and the door half open. Cats and rabbits lay in the warm beams of light, heat magnified by the glass.

A black rabbit mother hopped out from under a high legged trunk to nibble on some food before scampering back under the shelter, "she has babies," Reikanni informed Skidril. "What did you say you were here for again? Are you here to claim one of the dogs turned in lost? We always have dogs turning up lost and hurt around here. Everyone knows I will take them in without question. But it is getting a little ridiculous you know?" She rambled walking toward the door that held back the woofs. Opening it a flurry of 5 dogs almost trampled Skidril and Reikanni in their excitement for the food at the other end of the room.

Kenna:

Farrens shop was distinct and hidden behind others. He was the respected outsider of the menagerie. He didn't breed his stock like the others did but rather collected it from the wastes. A large fire burned at one end of the shop, a large polar bear curled up before it his massive claws surrounding the little black bear nestled into his chest.

Watching Kenna enter wordlessly Farren returned to the book before him watching her over the top. Lots came simply to see his wares but plenty got too curious and needed to be shoed out. Exchanges with many of his clients were quiet affairs. The animals asked for were often asked by hunters looking for something mightier than a hunting dog or the Icewatch kelvics looking for a pet longer than a claw and less yippy than a dog.

A man entered behind the woman immediately moving to the desk. One eye on Kenna Farren smiled slightly at the man. Covered in heavy hunting furs only his wind reddened cheeks and eyes showed, though even they smiled.

Note: Min. Response is 3 paragraphs.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Snowdrop Snowsong on January 25th, 2014, 7:31 am

She looked around the Menagerie. It was crowded today and she wasn't quite use to the chaos of large crowds. She wanted to go home, but she heard of a rumor around here and couldn't help herself. It would have drove her crazy for not knowing it. She didn't know what the rumor was, but she did know that it came from this area. The young Vantha breathed out a sigh. Looking down at the cause of pitter-patter, Bruce was running around circles around her.

The poor puppy was worried about his owner. She seemed quieter than usally and gave off an aura of nervousness. Bruce did not like that at all. The puppy liked when his owner would pick him up and do silly things. Sometimes he thought it was odd that she would talk to herself, but right now she seemed to be the opposite. He placed one paw on her foot in worry.

An old lady walked by and almost bumped her. "Oh hello dear, I'm so sorry." Snowdrop smiled and was about to take a step forward, before she heard a bark.

Something bright caught his eye. It was an orange cat! He barked once then twice and ran after the lady with the cat. Snowdrop looked down and saw Bruce running towards the elder. One could see panic wash over her face. This is bad. This is very bad. Snowdrop speed walked towards the running puppy.

Signature by Assilsa Curare
Vani | Common |Bruce
Snowdrop Snowsong
Let My Words Adore Your Soul

Words: 21309
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on January 25th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Spirit had come along with the general kerfuffleThat's a word... it's actually a word! to see the prize elk that was currently inhabiting the Menagerie. To be specific, she'd tagged along with Lusina, but drifted off after the first few chimes. She was better with horses than with elks, but needed more experience with the creatures. Still, now was not the time to do that. If she ever wanted to learn more, it was better to ask the woman at work, rather than here.

She saw one of the shop keepers - Reikanni was her name - poke her head out, stare for a moment, before ducking back. Probably more about all this vandalism. The Frostfawn was a little put off by it. Most of the young Vantha her age were being shunned, collectively seen as the culprits, or at least possible ones. Luckily, she'd built up enough of a decent reputation to not fit fully into that group... and for that the girl was glad. It was wrong, all this. Destroying people's homes, shops, and livelihoods... for what? Fun? A few odds and ends? She didn't understand. What was fun about destruction? Hurting things, and in turn, hurting people?

Spirit shook her head with a sigh, hand reaching down to rub Wind - the only dog who'd accompanied her today - as a comfort. He was looking tired... he'd been like that since the day before. Tired, and... old. She forgot how old he was, sometimes. Forgot that dogs aged faster than humans. Another sigh escaped her lips, before they curled into a frown. Her mind had drifted back to the current problem, and she found an intense want to... solve it. With all those questions about 'why', she wanted an answer. She needed an answer. She could wait for the mystery to be solved by an Icewatch, or... Her mind drifted back to the plans she'd made with her bondmate, which were slowly falling apart after his disappearance.

She wondered why she couldn't try and work this out herself, or at least help someone else. She liked helping, and liked knowing. Actually... this was perfect. At least the outcome was. She had little knowledge about... finding out things, though. None at all. How did the Icewatch do it? She glanced over at the one who was currently patrolling, oddly not wearing his band. He wasn't doing anything... no help. Didn't they go around, talking to people?

Her mind whirred, and the girl sat down hard on one of the benches, the fire at her back. She pressed a finger to her lips, sorting things out. There were two groups to talk to, currently more separated than ever. The teenagers... and the adults. Namely, the adults who'd had damage done to them. She felt like a kind of... middling between the two factions. A teenager, yet trusted by the adults. She was in a good position to do this. Now, the question was... who to talk to first. She didn't want to make her intentions obvious - much too embarrassing - so considered the options. Well... she could find out what had been hit? She knew some place had been vandalized, just not exactly where.

A plan in mind, the Frostfawn pushed herself up, Wind trailing behind, to find the first adult that came into sight... the first friendly one, that was. "Excuse me?" She prodded them politely, a smile on her face. Her companion sat down at her feet amiably. "I know there's all this fuss about the vandalism, but I've yet to really get the news. What exactly happened, and where? If you don't know... do you know who I could ask?"

NoteI'm letting you pick the person, for the fun of it :) Reikanni seemed taken by Skidril, at least. I thought I'd get right to it, as well XD

x
x

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Ablation on February 1st, 2014, 12:31 am

10th Winter, 513 AV

Snowdrop:

The womans wrinkles deepened with horror as the dog leaped at her arms barking wildly. "Stop! Stop you ruffian!" The woman screamed, her voice pitched with anxiety. Flapping one hand at the pouncing dog she brought her leg up trying to push it's heavy body off her. The orange cat in her arms screeched and digging her nails into the womans clothes climbed on top of her head. Paw and nails outstretched the cat hissed threateningly at the lolling mutt. Despite the intimidation the hapless pup jumped higher struggling to get closer to the kitten.

Knocked off balance the woman crashed down onto the ice and the cat was thrown from the womans hat. The scream that followed sent the screeching cat running down the street followed closely by the lolling tongue of Snowdrops puppy. "Petch! How dare you!....Oh...my hip..." The woman moaned as she tried to rise only to be stranded prostrate across the ice floor.

"Your parents will be hearing from me little lady! You can be certain!" The woman threatened pain induced tears rolling along the wrinkles of her cheeks. Bruce and the kitten had disappeared into the crowd at the bottom of the hill and soon one could hear the curses and cheers of adults and kids moving aside for the wild pair.

"Well what are you waiting for?! Help me up!" The woman howled at Snowdrop. "Watch out! Stop them!" Came cries from the group at the bottom of the hill, "The Bull! Stop them!" The people begged each other.

Spirit:

The woman turned to look at Spirit. Thin lipped and grimacing she shrugged, "I'm not sure to be honest...though you'd think the Icewatch would have more of a handle on it...seems like they do less and less these days don't it? I suppose, if anyone knows anything it would be them you should talk to. Though honestly, a bunch of misbehaving kids...they should have been caught a long time ago.I know for a fact that Kavak and Una were brought in for questioning not too long ago...But that's all I know. What? You have a business your are worried about?" The woman spoke haughtily rolling her eyes each time she mentioned the Icewatch and meeting Spirits gaze, eyes whirling with excitement with each piece of gossip.

"Besides...That's all old news now. I heard Lusina and Reikanni have been hitting it off better than ever. Everyone always said Reikanni was a good little girl, but the way she shamelessly flirts, psssh...Though Lusina...I never thought SHE'D be involved in a scandal with such a younger woman...You work for Lusina don't you? Have you seen anything?" Her eyes flooded iridescent green as she asked, greedy mouth pursing with desire.

The woman had the classic black hair of a Vantha and Morwen granted coloured eyes. Standing a few inches taller than Spirit she gazed down into the girls eager eyes and smirked, "Ohhhh...You and Lusina...Well I'm sorry to have told you that little penchant then. Maybe if you stop helping her with all those pups that've been brought in she wont have time for the little minx?...Honestly, she used to be around the stables all the time but my poor horse has been so neglected since she started cooping herself up to keep up with all the dog wounds hmph..." The woman crossed her arms grumpily, eyes going a sullen gold, "Maybe YOU could talk to Lusina about keeping up with her ACTUAL job?"
Ablation
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on February 1st, 2014, 4:54 pm

The woman Spirit spoke dashed straight into the latest gossip, when asked. She couldn't quite name the Vantha... but she was familiar. The woman seemed to know her, at least. Despite the rattling list of information, she listened intently, a little disappointed when it was apparent that the actual place vandalized was unknown. She wanted to get a word in on a number of occasions, but the happy gossiper just went on and on, flitting from one topic to another like a sparrow.

The comment about Lusina and Reikanni brought raised eyebrows, however, and the Frostfawn's mouth gaped in surprise. This was something new... was it complete fiction? Or was there actually some substance to this gossip? She didn't like to involve herself with odd and awkward things like this, and she started blushing when the attention turned to her. No, she hadn't noticed anything. And complaining about the care of a horse? As long as it wasn't hurt, Lusina's attentions were better devoted to those that were... there were many grooms in the stables that were happy to do the grooming and feeding. Honestly... Spirit was insulted, though unsure how to react. Especially now that she was expected to do something... She wasn't about to go and tell Lusina 'work harder', especially when there was no reason to. But... she didn't want to be mean. If Kaden was here, he would have growled and stated what he thought bluntly. But she wasn't a Kelvic, sadly.

After the woman finally finished her speech, the dog owner still stood stock-still for several moments, attempting to figure out what to say. Too much information, and a lot of it in her opinion... incorrect. And she'd learned nothing of the actual crime! Great! "Err..." she said dumbly, to stall for time. "Thank you... Goodbye." She turned on her heel and left at a quick pace, still unsure of what had happened. She wasn't thankful in the least, but what else could she say? Wind pressed against her leg in a comforting manner, sensing the stress.

She wondered what to do next. Would someone else simply throw out the same gossip and rumors? Maybe. But... she recalled a comment at the beginning. Asking the Icewatch would work, right? She scanned around, and picked out the one she'd noticed earlier. With a goal in mind, she was able to forget about the unsettling moment from before, and beeline towards the casually-walking man. "Hey, excuse me?" She repeated her earlier tactic. "You know all this fuss about the vandalism? I seemed to have missed something... where did it happen?" She was a little more tired this time, but managed to bring up a concerned expression. Hopefully this person wouldn't be as useless as the last.

x
x

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Snowdrop Snowsong on February 1st, 2014, 10:36 pm

Her eyes looked on with pure shock and wanted to run away from the situation she was pulled into. Why did she even bring Bruce with her? Because he would have looked all sad and alone. She jogged after the Bruce.

Snowdrop came to an unsteady stop, almost falling on the woman herself. She looked between the pair of animals to the woman on the ground. Should I help her or get them before they cause any more problems? But if I help she’ll tell my mom, oh dear Morwen I won’t see tomorrow. She started to wring her hands nervously. The young Vantha cringed in an almost pained gesture. The elder’s howling sounded so angry to Snowdrop.

“Okay,” she stuttered out as she lend down in mid-grab. If I help her will she―Snowdrop shook her head of that thought, it would be the right thing to do. She grabbed each of the woman’s upper arms and lifted her slowly up. She was strong enough to get the elder Vantha on to her feet. She breathed a little bit after that tiring task. “Please don’t tell my mom, please,” she begged before hearing people cries.

Bruce was still running after the cat that seemed to heading to the bull. Snowdrop bowed a little and apologized before running off towards the pair. This is bad. This very bad, maybe I should have stayed home. She moved around the people and headed towards the bull’s pen. He looked like a big bull to the small Vantha.

Signature by Assilsa Curare
Vani | Common |Bruce
Snowdrop Snowsong
Let My Words Adore Your Soul

Words: 21309
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Skidril on February 2nd, 2014, 2:08 pm

Skidril's daze was interrupted by Reikanni's voice. Like most of the town, he too was lost in thoughts, admiring the bull silently. That being said, he wasn't a Frostfawn, and while he could understand the kinship they felt with the animal, he couldn't empathize. Holy or not, those animals were food, and while it wasn't socially acceptable to voice such opinions, the thoughts were much harder to shake off. This was the nature of his hold after all, where others might've seen furry critters, he saw good uses for the meat on their bones. He did have some room in his heart for dogs though. While none of the animals Reikanni received were actually his, he did think Neira would light up at some company other than his own. While the animal was a poor substitute for their real desires, it was a start.

„Neira and I could use some company“ he gave in reply, „So if that means taking one of them off your hands, I'd be happy to“ his desire to help out both of them, hopefully, was genuine. Even though his original joy subsided some after nearly being trampled by the rushing band of hungry pets, he couldn't help but admit that they were indeed cute in their own way

„You know, I've been here before, but I don't think I've ever seen it this crowded... „ his head gestured to the animals shuffling around their feet „Must be the winter.“ And then he'd proceed with what got him all the way out here after all. „Any of them particularly eager for a change of scenery?“ he asked Reikanni as he lowered himself some to get a better look at the rampant dogs. He wouldn't touch them though, he was one dog bite ahead of people who still bugged their dogs mid-meal. Content with what he saw, he got back to standing. Even though none of them were quite the same looking as his old Luvanor, they still brought back some good memories of the old days. All of it made him wonder what happened with his old dog after it joined father on the road? Was he still alive even? Drilakis made no mention of it in his letters, but Skidril could always be the one to ask.
Skidril
he who language butchers

Words: 17735
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2013, 12:41 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ablation on February 23rd, 2014, 10:39 pm

10th Winter, 513 AV

Snowdrop:

"Oh don't think I wont Kiddo!" The wrinkled face scolded as she shuffled wearily across the ice after the girls retreating form. She stared at the hill leading to the bull pen with worry despite her angry yells. She had lost her husband last season and it was the first day she had slid out of her bed. The kitten was a gift, and as soon as the orange bundle lapped at her cheek she had felt the burnt kindling of love in her chest warm a little. Now....she was going to lose the kitten....

The bull at the bottom of the pen stared at the kitten and dog that ran around his pen. The whites of his eyes showing, shocked still. Snorting and lowering his forehead he bellowed angrily at the invading troupe. Bruce stopped for a moment glancing between the bull and the kitten. Ears lowering as the brown creature moved toward him he moved backwards toward the gate.

The kitten leapt onto the top of the fence, tail and body puffed with agitation. Watching the scene below she carefully licked her fur into compliance. Children and adults in the audience didn't move to intervene but there was a sharp intake of breath as the elk charged Bruce. Sliding to a stop, his wide antlers like tree branches reaching out over the crowd as the yowling dog ran back into the arms of Snowdrop.

Spirit:

The Icewatch man glanced down at Spirit, thin lipped and abrupt. "You shouldn't concern yourself with things like that..." He muttered dispassionately eyes scanning the scene over her head frowning as the yowling cat propelled itself into the crowd. Moving away from Spirit without pause, "Focus on all those dogs Lusina has been dealing with of late. I'm sure she would appreciate help more than gossip." He lectured over his shoulder before his shadow disappeared into the crowd.

The crowd moved instinctively out of his way shooting the retreating form approving looks. While the duties of the Icewatch were usually above fetching pets out of harms way everyone appreciated the calming appearance. Having interrogated the loud mouthed to the thin lipped it was obvious the energy of the Menagerie that day were hindering her intelligence mission.

Stomping the snow from his feet the man coughed behind her coughed quietly into the back of his hand, "That's a fine old dog Miss. Mighty fine. Hunter?" The man queried. His face was partly obscured by the heavy cowl he wore to warm himself. Despite the warmth of the sun his breath still created icy clouds and lent a crispness to his voice and shuffling. Heavily clad in furs his own dog sat at his side.

Much larger than Wind his grey pelt appeared slightly dusty. The heavy fish diet usually gave the Avanthal dogs particularly smooth and glimmering coats, important in shielding them from the wet snow. However, many hunters dogs were limited to red meat giving their coat a duller appearance one could easily mistake for an owners lack of care. Scars balded areas of his body and muzzle. Hackles seemingly permanently raised he was an imposing form.

Upon closer inspection, the man was far less imposing. He was bent over slightly with age and dull blue eyes gazed out at Spirit from under his cowl. "Nin, my own mutt has the same grizzled look. Old age right? Personally I think it makes 'em look distinguished aye? With all the hurt dogs turnin' up recently looking for homes I been takin' in the older dogs people don't want. Fixin' them up with goose feather beds and all. It really is a great life. Many people don't want to part with their lifelong pet but I must say m'dear I'm sure your time would be better spent with your other dogs," The old man guessed tilting his head, "Or maybe let you take in some of the damaged poor boys comin' in nowadays. Any interest? No offense, no offense if you aren't little miss." The man insisted raising his hands carefully and taking a step back in case she should be offended by his offer.

Skidril:

Reikanni grinned at the charming boy and flushed as he leaned down to peer at the dogs. "That would be wonderful!" She gushed. It was usually a good tactic with clients and with the sudden increase in dogs she was desperately in need of buyers. "Yes...well winter does usually see an increase but this season has been particularly bad," Rei grimaced, "We've gotten over a dozen hurt dogs brought in and abandoned. Some of them....will never be the same and some of them didn't survive their injuries. I don't know what is going on and why so many are being hurt...I've reported it to the Icewatch but they have their hands full with the vandalism." She conveyed all this while slowly sweeping the shop. A necessity with so many hairy vandals running amuck.

Moving over beside the man once she had swept the hair out of the way and into a corner she pointed out the dogs one by one. "Those two are Zypherian sled dogs, really valuable, but both were turned in with docked tails, torn ears and every single teeth pulled. They're Zin and Zan."

"The big shaggy white brute is Gliz," The largest of the five dogs he hobbled around on only three legs making his way slowly but steadily to occupy as many bowls as he could with his massive maw. He was heavy for a Manitora but was otherwise a perfect example of the breed.

"The little black one is Pip," The clever little dog had squirrelled itself underneath the towering Gliz to nibble on the meat he tore asunder, leaving her little pieces to lap up. She was only a little larger than a cat but obviously full grown with a greying muzzle evidence of her age. "She was half drained of blood from puncture wounds, " Rei spoke more quietly as she proceeded eyes tearing at the edges.

"And that one is Panzz," Rei nodded toward the Wolf hound. He was much taller than Gliz but thin as the waspy trees growing on the tundra. He slobbered as he tugged the meat into a corner away from the others, avoiding competition. His blonde short coat stood out amongst the shaggier dogs but as he turned to face Rei, hearing his name, the expression on his face made even her step back warily. "I worry about him..." Rei murmured to him offhandedly. "I can't keep him forever but I doubt anyone else will risk their limbs with him."

'So which ones would you like to get? Handsome guy like you can have two for the price of one." She winked perking up a bit at the possibility of getting some of them out of her hair, as much as she loved them dearly they were running her ragged and it was obvious from the deep circles under her eyes.

AWARDED: HINT ONE (Congrats!) - MANY DOGS WOUNDED

Last edited by Ablation on March 16th, 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on February 27th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Spirit was a little shocked about the Icewatch guard’s lack of care. Wasn’t it his job to help citizens? Then why did he practically snort at her, and walk away? That was just… wrong… She remembered wanting to join the Icewatch with Kaden, but if they were all like this… No. There’d been that time with the mercenary. Most of those she knew were nice and helpful. Just… this one, without a bear. Or without a rider. Whichever way it was. He simply scowled and pushed her away. Not wanting to cause a fuss she complied, turning partially to walk off, and partially to hide the red in her face. Honestly, it felt as if no one wanted to talk about the day’s earlier antics.

Her attention was distracted when a man behind her coughed. Turning on her heel once again, she found an older man with an equally aged dog by his side. The creature was larger than Wind, looking thick and powerful, but also… old, with impressive scars. Actually, both looked a little frightening at first, and startled her after the irritation of her earlier conversation. ”Thank you. No… he’s not a hunter. Really bred to be a sled dog. I do have a few hunters of my own, though.” She gave a small grin, feeling more comfortable now that the conversation turned to dogs.

The man began talking, and when he mentioned age, she nodded. Wind was looking good for an old dog, but physically… he was not what he used to be. He hated running around with the puppies, and preferred lounging in the snow and sun. Though the calmness was nice, remembering what he’d been like before scared her a bit. The man mentioned bringing in a lot of injured dogs too, and caring for them like she would. However, the statement reminded her of a tidbit of earlier conversation. The Icewatch had also mentioned Lusina caring for a lot of dogs. Normally she was more known for horses and caribou, though.

The Frostfawn frowned, concerned and confused, mostly missing the man’s question. What was going on with all the dogs? Wasn’t the freakish event of them running into the walls enough? She hadn’t noticed anything particularly important, but… no wait. She had, a bit. She’d been doing a lot of work helping canines, hadn’t she? Though she was new to that job, she noted it down to never seeing them whilst with the horses. But… that wasn’t quite right. There were normally fewer dogs in the stables for healing, wasn’t there? This was all too confusing.

”Huh?” she said, suddenly remembering the question? Bring in more dogs? Her heart sunk. She didn’t think there was enough room in her Arvinta for that many dogs, as much as she’d love to have them. The prospect of building her own little place, where she could work grooming and healing dogs passed through her mind. It sounded… honestly interesting. She put it aside for later consideration, though. It would be complicated, and expensive. ”If you do need the help, I’d be happy to take some in. Still, my Arvinta is currently stuffed. Three full grown and a half-grown puppy. Still, it was better than earlier… Ten puppies, then three half grown…” She sighed a bit, realizing that there weren’t quite as many dogs as there had been before. Fewer friends, in her opinion. Again, the new home idea sounded very, very appealing.

x
x

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ablation on March 1st, 2014, 2:59 am

e

Spirit:

"If you do need the help, I’d be happy to take some in. Still, my Arvinta is currently stuffed. Three full grown and a half-grown puppy. Still, it was better than earlier… Ten puppies, then three half grown…” Hearing her sigh the man smiled.

"Oh wow...that is quite a lot of woofs running about. I think you misunderstood me though m'dear. I'm sorry, I must have been unclear. Happens with old age yah see." He chuckled enthusiastically, "I meant could I take your delightful dog off your hands. You have quite a handful and old dogs like that...they require a lot of attention. I take on a lot of high need cases like this m'dear. Feathered beds, the best fish. A dream world for a dog, and lots of rest away from puppies. I realize he must be dear to you and I don't mean to pry. I just...see a lot of people push their older dogs far too hard or don't have the finances to care for a dog like this." Reaching forward the man offered the back of his hand for Wind to sniff.

Nin stepped forward slowly his nose reaching out to sniff Winds warily. When Wind wagged his tail Nin responded with the same gesture. Neither of them were puppies any longer and their excited antics were made up of wagging and sniffing each other ears perked. "Hehe looks like Nin and your pup get along already. Shall we go for a walk and talk about it at least? Can't hurt right? I really am only looking out for his best interests."

AWARDED: HINT ONE - MANY DOG WOUNDED

e
Last edited by Ablation on March 16th, 2014, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Office

Next