Completed A Slight Commotion

In which Dallen is blocking traffic on the docks in the never-ending quest for art.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Slight Commotion

Postby Dallen on January 26th, 2014, 11:49 am

Day 34, Winter 513 AV

Dallen frowned and laid his palette on the ground next to him, and it clattered upon the cobblestones, producing an audible clack in the brisk evening air. The buff-looking angry sailor was blocking his view of the harbor, which annoyed him to no end. Why must artists always suffer for their art? Waving his hand dismissively, he said, "Excuse me, but I am currently painting here, could you please remove yourself from the view of my muse?" The sailor's face darkening, he said, "Excuse yerself. Yer blocking th' cargo from mah ship from getting to the city. Now move." Normally the sailor's bulk would make others wary of him, but Dallen McHenderson was not impressed. "Yes, yes, you are quite a large man from lifting all those heavy things. Now move." Shocked, Dallen's light push shoved the big sailor out of his vision. Spluttering and cursing, the sailor's face was a livid red, and he was waving his arms around and gesturing wildly. It looked like it would come to blows, if nobody intervened. Ignoring him, Dallen picked up his brush and drew it across the small canvas, an aquamarine tone. Taking no notice of the growing crowd of angry sailors, he finished the harbor's water in a few minutes. Frowning, he reached for his palette, only to find it chucked into the very port he was painting by a disgruntled sailor. Laying down the wooden board, which held the canvas atop, Dallen said, "I hope you are planning on paying for that. Because, sir, paint and paint supplies are cheap enough, when you pay for them separately, but when you buy in bulk, let's just say that it's a little different. Also, my mother bought those for me. So cough up three gold mizas and this incident will be forgotten." Dallen McHenderson was hardly an imposing figure, although he was taller than most, he was thin and lean, giving him the look of one who might fall over in a stiff breeze. A small crowd of bystanders, attracted by the idiot who was blocking sailors from doing their jobs, and watched the situation from across the street, standing outside a small warehouse. A chill breeze came from the northeast, causing sailors and citizens alike to shiver, however, Dallen didn't give any indications that he was cold, instead staring coolly down at the squat sailor.
Last edited by Dallen on March 8th, 2014, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NOTICE: THIS CHARACTER IS BEING PLACED UNDER HIATUS. ALL CURRENT THREADS SHALL BE FINISHED, BUT THIS CHARACTER WILL BE SUSPENDED TILL FURTHER NOTICE OTHERWISE.
Dallen
Art is Everything

Words: 29774
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2014, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Ricky Maze on January 28th, 2014, 7:49 am

How ironic that Lhex usually had such sense of fate in times when others had dire need, and in the eyes of the old fisherman the painter who made a poor first impression on the sailors... yeah he needed help all right. Honestly Ricky found qualities he liked in the artist, he was stubborn and hard headed when it came to what he loved. However that and a mouth unwatched easily caused trouble for one such as him, and the sailors definitely didn't enjoy hearing his tongue. Thus Ricky, after a chimes worth of watching the incident, stepped forth out of amusement as he quickly caught on with an idea, much like he normally would when he took to handle things as they would come. A natural approach. Just what he needed after many stressful days of work and... well life in general as well.

"Aah, Barnes! T'ere ye be my good man," Ricky called out with open arms as he approached the painter with a overly friendly grin, "doin' 'nother 'un o' ya projects 're ya mate? Ain't causin' no trouble again now 're ya?" Even if Ricky acted like he knew this man there certainly was no connection to the name or face, to Ricky this was a total stranger in need of a way out from trouble. Sailors after all did refer to more physical ways of dealing with issues, henceforth the man would likely find himself with a bloody nose and bruised eye without further attention to his actions. The fisherman only hoped this artist was bright enough to catch onto the act, and quick witted to play along as Ricky did his best to smooth talk the sailors.

"Oy! Y' know dis petchin' twerp? He be givin' us damn trouble wi' dese cargo goods!" Another one of the sailors spat out aggressively, Ricky's brow furrowed as he looked from the sailor to the painter curiously. In his position he was still a Wave Guard meant to uphold the peace, thus the work he had to do would involve seeing everyone happy with a following conclusion.

"Apologies mate, Oi know he can be a stubborn man when it comes t' the work o' art he does, so just lemme handle talkin' 'em int' a better place." Ricky suggested with a hand notion to the sailor that signalled to stay put, he then looked to the artist in the face but avoided contact with the eyes. "Barnes mate, maybe t'day ain't such a good day t' paint 'ere. Maybe try elsewhere if ya like, some place a bit more... "musing"?" As he finished the last word his tone barely changed to help show this was an act, whether the stranger bought it or not.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Slight Commotion

Postby Dallen on January 28th, 2014, 10:47 am

Eyes narrowed, Dallen was ready to leap upon the sailor and start swinging, when Ricky suddenly showed up out of nowhere, with open arms. Dumbfounded, the artist gave him a friendly hug, and then when he started speaking, he listened closely to what he said. Dallen didn't know if the Wave Guard had mistaken him for someone else, but he'd go along with it, for now.

"Yeah, I'm paintin' the harbor. And no, I'm not causin' any trouble. Leastaways, not on purpose." Striding over to his canvas and brushes, he picked them up and tucked them under his arm, slipping his brushes into his pant pocket. Walking back to the Wave Guard, he stood there until he suddenly turned his attention back to Dallen.

"Barnes mate, maybe t'day ain't such a good day t' paint 'ere. Maybe try elsewhere if ya like, some place a bit more... "musing"?" Blinking once, Dallen understood, and said, "Yeah, let's go somewhere. I needed to talk to you earlier, but you weren't at the barracks." Walking away in the direction of the old quarter, he waved Ricky after him. In a low tone, close to Ricky's ear, Dallen said, "Now it's not that I don't appreciate what ya did there, sir, but with all due respect, who are you?"

NOTICE: THIS CHARACTER IS BEING PLACED UNDER HIATUS. ALL CURRENT THREADS SHALL BE FINISHED, BUT THIS CHARACTER WILL BE SUSPENDED TILL FURTHER NOTICE OTHERWISE.
Dallen
Art is Everything

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Ricky Maze on January 29th, 2014, 2:34 am

Ricky felt pleased to see that the stranger was quick to catch on after all, even help carry out the act to allow the rest of the onlookers buy the idea the two knew one another. Ricky could see it in the painters face that confusion did fill his expression, but the fact he still took the chance to follow along proved he was quick witted under pressure. Thus when the two finally made off to walk along the street while the sailors huffed and puffed at what trouble they had, Ricky found the comfort in knowing that trouble was no longer present in his patrol route. That of course was when the stranger found the chance to ask probably the most predictable, yet easiest, question to bring up while they left.

"Ricky Maze o' the Wave Guard mate, by de way ye're welcome f'r that 'elp Oi gave back t'ere." The humor he felt had slightly vanished as he knew good and well what the other result would've ended with, sailors don't take kindly to the intellectual that stand firm in their way, at least not when it came to getting a job done on time of course. "Believe me, 'ad Oi not come in any sooner ye and that bloody canvas o' yer's might've ended up off de docks and int' de ocean." He warned with a look back over his shoulder to the docks as they were still in view, the laborers seemed to have returned to work now that the issue was removed thankfully. By now the two could reach a stop and talk without any further need to move forward, and that's pretty much what Ricky did now that any means of trouble failed to seem present at the moment.

"Aight now, 'ere's a good place t' stop." He said with a sharp turn to the painter, curious eyes locked upon the man as he avoided eye contact. "Now just what exactly made dis paintin' so important dat ye had t' piss off the sailors?" He inquired curiously with hands placed at his hips, his tone remained humble but held its authoritive tone; he was still on guard duty after all.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Dallen on January 30th, 2014, 10:43 am

"Ricky Maze o' the Wave Guard mate, by de way ye're welcome f'r that 'elp Oi gave back t'ere." The friendly smile diminished somewhat as they walked away from the docks, the crowd dispersing around them.
Adopting a cool demeanor, Dallen replied, "Dallen McHenderson, and thanks for the assistance." Dallen knew that sometimes people reacted differently do him when he acted calm and placid, so he dropped the tone somewhat. "Believe me, 'ad Oi not come in any sooner ye and that bloody canvas o' yer's might've ended up off de docks and int' de ocean."
Tilting his head curiously, Dallen smiled sardonically. "I'm no fighter, but I'd like to see them try. Still, your help was appreciated, and I thank you again. Fights should be avoided at all costs."
As Ricky looked back at the sailors, he stopped suddenly and turned, surprising Dallen, causing him to stumble a bit. Eyes sharp, but avoiding eye contact, Ricky said, "Aight now, 'ere's a good place t' stop. Now just what exactly made dis paintin' so important dat ye had t' piss off the sailors?" Still authoritative, Ricky put his hands on his hips, looking at Dallen.
Looking him directly in the face for a bit, he looked for any signs of sarcasm, a slight expression of disbelief on his face. Turning back to the harbor, he said, "Let me ask you a question. Exactly how many people have done paintings of those 'Obelisks' in the harbor? I've looked around, and it's a surprisingly small number. Do you know how much an original work is worth? At least twice the value of a simple portrait, and I'm not talking about money. The reputation you receive is greater than any payment." Looking back at Ricky, he said, "This painting right here was to be a... promotion, of sorts. Hopefully it would attract customers to my studio."

Dallen
Art is Everything

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Ricky Maze on February 2nd, 2014, 7:44 am

Ricky understood good and well now why this painting was so important. Reputation. Well of a sort anyway, he knew this served as an opportunity. The fact it held such significance for this man, such an important thing obviously meant the world to do for him. "He's workin' just like Oi am, pro'lly strugglin' t' git by like me even." He had to admit things were going slow even for him as far as financial security was concerned, even as a sargeant of the Wave Guard he still had much saving up to do for the rest of his home. That and the fact his family had needs to come first, Ricky wouldn't have much to spare save for some decent amounts of funding. Okay so he definitely understood what it was like to have such a window of opportunity, even dreamed for the occasion to arrive on his own terms at times. Yet he focused on what was going on now rather than ahead of time like he always did.

With the point finally taken, and it being obvious Ricky took some thought on it, the guard finally sighed and nodded with a smirk. "O'kay lad, Oi see where dis comes as an important goal f'r ya. Enough t' welcome de idea that I wanna 'elp out at least." He finally admitted with arms crossed over, his smirk a genuine smile as he continued to speak. "Oi actually d' know a place where ya can paint in peace dat 'as a nice view o' de obelisks, even if'it ain't a bit o' a strange t'ing t' choose as a muse."

"Meow."

"Oh shyke!" Ricky brought his arms up a little as his face showed surprise, his eyes fell down to the pocket the sound originated from as he reached inside. He had forgotten this little fuzzball wanted to venture out today, thanks to said commotion eariler, and left him in the warmth of his pocket for the time being. After a few scratches and nimbles on the monster hand that reached in to grab him, Ricky pulled out Fenvur with a few "Ow's" murmured here and there until the world was able to see the cat. He once was a small kitten that would fit right in Ricky's palm a while back, yet after two seasons had passed his growth had brought him to cover Ricky's palm and almost his fingers. Still the cat acted young and adventurous, and Ricky loved him for it all the same.

"Meow." Fenvur shook his head erratically to relieve the tingles he felt from the rubs the insides of the pocket gave, and looked at the world around him with interest as they first fell on the face of the shorter man next to the guard.

"Sorta f'rgot he tagged along, anyways dis 'ere's me cat Fenvur." He introduced the cat to the stranger with a friendly grin, a few finger strokes along the cats back as he started to pur in delight.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Dallen on February 7th, 2014, 11:14 am

"O'kay lad, Oi see where dis comes as an important goal f'r ya. Enough t' welcome de idea that I wanna 'elp out at least. Oi actually d' know a place where ya can paint in peace dat 'as a nice view o' de obelisks, even if'it ain't a bit o' a strange t'ing t' choose as a muse." Smiling, Ricky seemed sincere enough. Accepting his smile with a grin, Dallen nodded and said, "Okay. I'll just run home to get some of my supplies, and then we can go."
"Mew."
Dallen smiled even wider as with a few curses and exclamations, Ricky presented a small, palm-sized kitten. Eyes softening, Dallen looked up at Ricky.
"Sorta f'rgot he tagged along, anyways dis 'ere's me cat Fenvur." Holding Fenvur towards him, Ricky smiled. Holding out a finger, Dallen waited until Fenvur nuzzled his hand, and then he scratched behind his ear. Jumping onto his arm, Fenvur scrabbled up to his shoulder. Purring, Fenvur rubbed up against Dallen's neck, making the artist smile. Looking back to Ricky, he said, "I think he likes me!" Scratching him behind the ears, Dallen McHenderson cursed. "Kittens... So petching cute. How did you know my one weakness?"

Dallen
Art is Everything

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Ricky Maze on February 8th, 2014, 9:00 am

The note on heading back to grab some more painting gear was given a nod before Fenvur had acted up, as Ricky could understand the fact that it would very well help with a fresh start in another project perhaps. The Guard however found that Fenvur’s appearance out the project brought a bit of a distraction to their plan, yet the reaction the artist gave when he met the little kitten appeared to be genuine well enough. Curious about the man Fenvur seemed to take a small but quick liking, probably because of the air about the man. Not because he’d likely smelled relevant to fish due to standing near the sea, but more so the sort of proud and noble air he held in his posture. Ricky too had that sort of air in his own sense, pride in who he was as a Wave Guard and all. Strangely though the two men were different in terms of lifestyles and personalities, there hadn’t been enough discoveries in similarities between them for Ricky to fully know what Dallen was like.

Still Fenvur warmed up to the man quickly instead of being bold and adventurous, usually the kitten would remain curious enough to observe others if not pounce on them like the “warrior” he tried to be. Ricky though found sincere amusement in the interactions between them, and came to terms with the fact that maybe there was something about Dallen he’d yet learn. Which is why the sooner they found this spot he could paint at, the better it would be for the whole “bonding” experience to move along before the day finally ended. Ricky had done a lot on during his days as a Wave Guard sure enough, but the bells spent during those days never seemed to bore him at least. "Ha, believe me mate if Oi’d a known ye had a soft t’ing f’r cats, Oi’da made sure t’ lure ya away from de docks wit’ Fenvur t’ begin wit’." The fisherman cracked with a laugh as he mused about the two further, Fenvur only exchanged looks between the two men before he decided to leap out at Ricky. Not because he was wanting away of course, but mainly due to the fact he was out in the open where it was freezing… and the pocket he dwelled in was much warmer due to the fact Ricky’s body heat practically radiated the cozy space. "Oh shyke laddie!" Ricky called out in a slightly elevated tone as his hands cupped around the kitten, Fenvur of course made sure he wasn’t going to fall by clawing onto the azure jacket of his Wave Guard uniform. "What did Oi tell ya now ‘bout pawin’ on papa’s outfit now? Don’t need ya makin’ ‘oles in the only t’ing dat makes ‘em look good now." He joked once again, but with a more serious approach this time. It was as though he were lecturing a child, which in this case Fenvur was of the sort.

After he’d gotten Fenvur’s paws unlatched to the jacket he chuckled gently as the kitten swiped a few times at his hand, the big blue eyes focused on the one place he knew he’d be warm. "Dere dere now, Oi’m puttin’ ya back so just relax would ya." He said as he held the kitten close to the pocket, Fenvur need only look up to his master’s face one time before he slipped on in with but the tail to hang out. Purrs could be heard from within his pocket as the outline of the kitten could now be seen, yet Fenvur remained still as he soon soaked in the warmth generated from Ricky’s body. If this were any sort of indication for Dallen, it would well serve as how much the fisherman’s paternal instincts governed his decision making. Being not just a father to a kitten but a son as well, much of the decisions made by Ricky were based on feelings and instinct alone nowadays.

"Sorry ‘e jumped from ya like dat, he usually knows better considerin’ I’ve tried t’ train him. Guess it just be t’ cold out f’r him." He shrugged as he finished the sentence, a bit sincere in his apology as he then patted Dallen’s shoulder. "Now ‘bout dat place I t’ought t’ go t’. Since ya need t’ go git some paintin’ supplies, why don’t ya just meet wit’ me wit’in de next bell or so? I figured the Cerulean Pier would serve as a great spot f’r de Obelisks." He suggested with a friendly expression, and then waited for whether or not Dallen approved of the idea.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Dallen on February 11th, 2014, 4:02 am

"Ha, believe me mate if Oi’d a known ye had a soft t’ing f’r cats, Oi’da made sure t’ lure ya away from de docks wit’ Fenvur t’ begin wit’." Smiling, Dallen said, "That might have been a good thing to do, I'll grant you that." Fenvur leaped off his shoulder, clawing at Ricky's shirt, trying to hang on. Shaking his head, Dallen laughed, and crossed his arms. With a couple of curses, Ricky pulled Fenvur's claws out of his uniform and placed him in his pocket. Purring and mewling, Fenvur settled in the warm space, rubbing up against Ricky's leg. Ah, kittens. So cute.
Ricky patted Dallen's shoulder, and said, "Sorry ‘e jumped from ya like dat, he usually knows better considerin’ I’ve tried t’ train him. Guess it just be t’ cold out f’r him. Now ‘bout dat place I t’ought t’ go t’. Since ya need t’ go git some paintin’ supplies, why don’t ya just meet wit’ me wit’in de next bell or so? I figured the Cerulean Pier would serve as a great spot f’r de Obelisks."
Dallen nodded, and spoke. "Yes, I believe the Pier would be a good place to paint. The reason I chose the main docks was because of the easier angle to paint at, but the pier could work too." Slapping Ricky on the back lightly, Dallen headed off towards his home, which was located in north West Street.
Before he took three steps, however, a dreaded orange-covered head started moving through a crowd towards Dallen. Eyes widening, Dallen ducked behind Ricky, whispering, "Hide me. You gotta hide me."

Dallen
Art is Everything

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Slight Commotion

Postby Ricky Maze on February 13th, 2014, 7:06 pm

It was actually great to see the artist get a move on now that Ricky had plucked him up from the docks, what with a little odd distraction to follow here or there the fisherman felt sure that the day would end better soon enough. That is until Dallen had not taken another step onward, only to rather just stick with retreating away like some child had seen a monster. That was another thing Ricky looked forward to later on, the idea that his boy would eventually come to be afraid of bumps in the night amused him well enough. Because in those scenarios Ricky would always come to tell his son everything was okay, check the room to prove no monsters were in there, and then tell Martin a story to help bring sleep back to the child.

Such an idea was something the fisherman fantasized often since he remembered doing the same once, Burten told many stories to him just to help him sleep better at night. The world was so different back then, of course as a child Ricky was the same as any other; able to see the good and innocence in everything. Yet Dallen didn’t hide away out of terror, no his manner of fear was brought to avoidance rather than anything. Who was it exactly he intended to hide from? Just who, or what exactly, was coming Dallen’s way? "What’s de sudden need t’ hide f’r mate? " He inquired slightly confused, the situation that would soon unfold could very well prove interesting on his part.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next