Closed Chance Encounter (Miro/Ender)

Verin and Ender meet for the first time since the execution

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Chance Encounter (Miro/Ender)

Postby Verin Rush on May 3rd, 2014, 3:46 pm

At the mention of the Familiar’s home world, Verin’s interest grew more, he wanted to know about what creatures there were besides this... Irylid race of ice, if there even were any. He wanted to know why Familiars exists, how they discovered that there were ways of getting from one world to another, if any human or being from his world had set foot on Fyrden. He wanted to know how a mage chose a Familiar, or if the Familiar chose the mage, and how they bonded… but he knew that asking all of those questions and, indeed, receiving the answers, was not appropriate for the bartender at the present moment, so he held his tongue and allowed Ender to continue talking.

His brow shot up as, once again, the clearly socially inept creature told him that, if he did not have any talents, he must prove that his character was true. He was both astounded and amused by the creature’s bold demand, and momentarily considered finding out who the Familiar was bonded to, in order that he might approach the mage and request that Ender be taught more etiquette and manners. In his mind, though he knew that Familiars were valuable to a mage, they were not of this world, and they were definitely not human, so why should it have any more rights than a slave did… “
My talents,” he began, speaking slowly and firmly, keen not to appear rude to the pale creature for a number of reasons, yet still wanting to instill a sense of respect into the Familiar, in order that he did not get ideas above his station and run into conflict with people who would not offer Ender the same chances that Verin was. “Are not of your concern at the present moment. This is Ravok, we do not blindly trust those met only for a few chimes.

Despite this, he knew that the creature meant by ‘talents’, especially given his own use of Hypnotism on the bartender mere chimes ago. Though he imagined that his magic would be much weaker than Ender’s, and it was probable that the use of it would have no effect on him, he could use it merely as a demonstration that the magic existed within Verin, as well as an interest in learning more. Ensuring that the Familiar was looking at him, and he was returning the gaze, he spoke softly, “
I would advise you to remain respectful of those you do not know.” It was poorly phrased, and he had not bothered to prepare himself in the slightest, but he knew that he wasn't actually trying to properly Hypnotise the Familiar, only demonstrate an interest. “Now, I’m going to serve this gentleman, and then we shall go, stay here.

His façade changing instantly, an easy service smile fell onto his face, and it even reached his eyes, so good had Verin become at giving the impression of warmth to customers arriving at the Malt House for a drink or food. He greeted the new arrival, recognizing him as someone who had been in most nights this recently, and had always ordered the same drink, so he began the conversation without any preamble, “
Another whisky, sir? Might I suggest a stronger one? Aged only a little longer to give it a most more refined taste?” The man hesitated, and looked at the coins in his hand. Verin also glanced down and, after a quick estimate, hoped that he had more in a pocket, or in a box at him somewhere.

But the punter nodded and Verin’s smile widened as he turned and selected a whisky that had been aged for 12 seasons before being bottled and sent into Ravok. At only 2 silver mizas more, it was easy to taste the difference in those three years. Carefully the young bartender poured out a finger of the bronze spirit into a tumbler before turning and sliding it over to the man, “
That will be five silver mizas please, sir.
Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on May 6th, 2014, 9:34 am

Verin sure did seem the sensitive type. Maybe just cautious, or perhaps he was being evasive. But the Human set the Irylid straight with a bit of advice. He was right, Ender should be more respectful of those he does not well. It was rude to judge and evaluate people constantly. A person was more complex than that. It would certainly take a lot of consideration to what somebody was before they could be fully trusted. What were the things to look for in a man to understand him though?

The Familiar thought about his own master, the things that made him what he was. His magic, his Gnosis, the things that had happened to him, the things he had done, what he wanted to accomplish as well. For Miro he was powerful, marked by Uldr, had lost his life, helped as many people as he had harmed, but wished only to further himself. Miro was a selfish wizard, one bound to darkness, but did not stray from it. What about Verin?

It would be good to ask later, but not now. The Irylid decided it best to remain respectful of these strangers, to wait his turn. He waited patiently for Verin to be ready to leave. When finally it seemed that they were ready to leave, Ender went forth and called for a Ravosala. Directions were given to the home and on the way he tried to make light conversation. By now he had somewhat a plan at least.

"I will show you my home, tell you a few things I can not elsewhere. Though I would be interested in knowing more of you as well. Please, you seem quite the interesting fellow, do tell me some about you." It would help pass the time and help the Familiar judge his new friend. Though he realized that he was still without any money. Somewhat a problem, but a solution presented itself.

When the trip came to a close and the Ravosalaman looked back demanding payment, the Irylid turned to Verin. "Could you pay for this one, please? It would certainly help me to have faith in you. Truly I would appreciate it." Ender hadn't any money to pay, but he was not going to admit such a thing without the need. He only wished to get back to the apartment and proceed with things.

The Irylid hastily lead his way back through the apartment to Miro's room. He opened the door and gestured for the Human to enter. "Please, come in, make yourself at home." The creature would then close the door and shift form again. His body would become a reflective silver and begin to recede into a large orb. This was his natural form, one previously seen.

"This is my natural form, one of three I can take. I am also able to take a sealed form, that of a bracelet. My master wears it to keep my presence hidden and carry me." Though it was time that Verin was judged. He either be worthy of learning or kept to remain only a friend. "There is much more I would like to tell you, but first I have a few questions. I need to understand you a bit better."

"Tell me a few things. What magics do you know, and what do you use them for? What gods do you worship, and why do you seek their favor? And tell me, what are the things that have happened in your life to define you? What has your life shown you? The things that have happened to you and that you have done. Why do they matter to you? Most of all, what do you want to achieve? That is all I need to know, but it is a lot to ask. Think about your answers."

Ender began to focus on Verin intently, staring him down. But this was not a means of intimidation, but rather mere observation. The Irylid began to cast his Djed to attune himself with Verin's aura. He wished to gain an insightful glimpse at the man's feeling as he spoke. Slowly the flickering sight of the aura appeared to the Familiar. He stared it down with all of his focus, his mind set on sorting the information it received. He was sure Verin would not disappoint him.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verin Rush on May 12th, 2014, 3:12 pm

The punter passed over the money without a smile and, as soon as Verin turned away, his smile also slipped. “
I’ll see you tomorrow, Grayson,” the bartender said to his boss as he passed by, dropping the five small coins into the other’s hands to put away, “Enjoy the rest of your evening.” The owner muttered similar platitudes as he continued wiping the bar top. He slipped into the back and picked up his cloak, which he swiftly draped and fastened around his shoulders, before he headed back out to the bar and around the side to meet his new acquaintance.

The pair stepped into a ravosala and Verin would have preferred to pass the journey in silence, as always; he often enjoyed the peace of watching the buildings float by, but the Familiar had different intentions. It took Verin a few minutes to consider what he might say – this was, after all, Ravok; only the most foolish of citizens, or guests to the city, wore their hearts on their sleeve. There were things that even Verin’s twin brother did not know about him, and those were the things that he assumed Ender wanted to know. He compromised, preferring not to share anything of his ambitions to join the Black Sun, yet giving him something interesting, “
My brother and I were raised here in Ravok by our Syliran father, after our mother’s death during childbirth… I’m sure you can imagine the philosophical conflict that caused my brother and me growing up, privately being taught one thing, and learning another through the city.

In truth, neither he nor Venser had struggled with their beliefs. Despite their father’s intense attempts at steering them towards the light, Verin had shown nothing but interest in his city’s patron. His only interest in Sylir was due to his desire to know more of his opponents, and to properly know the flaws in the beliefs of the lawful city, of which there were many. That wasn’t to say that Rhysol was infallible, but his rule made far more sense, and his chaotic presence left the city I a far more lawful state than others. He shared small snippets of information about such nuances of his reasoning for his support of Rhysol for the remainder of the journey, embellishing it with tales from his childhood, until they pulled in at a dock.

The bartender said nothing about paying, expecting that, as a Familiar, he would not have money to pay, just as he had suspected when they were in The Malt House. He resisted the urge, however, to roll his eyes at Enders attempts to play off Verin’s paying as proof that he was true to character. “
It seems that this Familiar needs instruction in the psychology of humans, especially that of Ravok. He seems unaware of the possibility that people lie, cheat and swindle, or do certain acts to portay a particular persona, only to achieve their own ends.” Paying the menial amount of a ravosala ride told Ender nothing about what type of person Verin was, but if it made the creature happy, Verin let him think what he would.

Upon entering the Familiar (or the Master’s) home, Verin glanced away from examining the room just in time to see the creature transform back into the ball of ice that he had seen during the chase for the assailant, when he had been frozen to the ladder, the wall and the assailant himself. It was now that he finally asked the question he had been burning to know since then, “
The magic you used that day, to save my life, the ice that you created.. was that you? What was it?

But the ball of ice didn’t answer immediately, instead firing of question after question of his own. Verin blinked, again shocked at Ender’s methods of discerning whether or not Verin was worthy of instruction. “
This creature is far too trusting, far too naïve as to the ways of Ravok…” he sincerely hoped that the Familiar’s Master was not so foolish as his companion.

I have already told you of my God, whom I obey without question.” As to his past, though Verin had shared some, he was not comfortable sharing intimate details of his brother’s tribulations, which Verin had often saved him from. Verin doubted that domestic abuse was uncommon, but it was not openly discussed. Yet, now that he felt he knew Ender better, and knew that the naïve Familiar was, he knew that sharing such details would secure the creature’s trust, possibly permanently. This was too good an opportunity to pass up. So he removed his cloak, and then his shirt, and placed them on a chair, and then turned, displaying the silver web of scars that decorated his back.

My father was an abusive man who targeted by younger brother as the reason for his wife’s death.” He turned around to face the silvery orb, and quietly recounted one of the many times that he pretended to be Venser for the evening, just to save his brother from the pain the drunkard could inflict. It was because of this, Verin knew, that no matter how much he and Ven fought and argued, their familial bond would never be broken. Sharing the tale was painful, and he prayed to Rhysol that the Familiar would never repeat it. He didn’t like sharing such intimate details of his past, particularly with a stranger, but he knew it would be enough to gain his own ends.
Verin Rush

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on May 19th, 2014, 3:10 am

There was a lot about Verin that worried Ender. It seemed the man worshiped Rhysol, and only Rhysol. He was dedicated to the Defiler, his lies and evil. This was not a good sign. As well he had a brother, which could be a good thing, but as well an abusive father. Perhaps it was that the man would use his magic for the wrong causes. The stories of his childhood, they left a conflict in the Familiar's mind.

When given the choice between the just city of Syliras and the despicable Ravok, Verin chose wrong. There was nothing that could be done about that though, and it was understandable. Ravok was beautiful, and all the people here worshiped Rhysol, at least in appearance. Though there was a sincerity to this man's claims that left no doubt in his faith. The use of Auristics provided little insight to the inexperienced user, though he could sense no foul motivation.

However there was something dark about this man that unnerved the Irylid. He almost felt unsafe, as if he had put his trust in the wrong man. But then his thoughts returned to the time they had shared in the bar, the feeling of belonging. The questions asked, they weren't answered properly. The answers, they weren't what he had hoped for. The person before him, he was not perfect. But he could see past the Irylid's form, acknowledge him as more than a mere thing.

"The magic I used is an elemental magic known as Reimancy. It is a very powerful, yet taxing discipline. It is not a magic not discovered, but given through a painful initiation. Though to learn to control it is quite difficult." The Irylid did not know what he was doing. He knew better, already going against his one edict. But he had faith in the man before him. "I could perform this initiation, teach the magic, but only to an apprentice of mine."

With his own rules crumbled, there was only one answer. He had to borrow rules from his master, only he would adjust them. They would be made fair. Those who were unfit to wield magic, they would be fixed with Hypnotism. If they could not be, if there was no other way, they would be killed. They would have to agree to this arrangement and a few rules. Though after this was decided, it was immediately apparent this methodology was no different from Miro's.

"I will take you as my apprentice, but only if you will swear an oath to me. You must swear to only use your magic for just causes. You must never allow your magic or magical knowledge to fall into unjust hands. You must also never turn against me. I will be your master, your teacher, and so you follow my teachings. If you do not, if you defy these rules, I will have to correct your mind. If your mind can not be corrected, I will have to kill you. I can teach you so much, but only if you can agree to this."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Verin Rush on May 20th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Verin found the concept of an initiation to be quite an interesting one, especially as something that he had not yet had the chance to experience for himself. He wondered what, exactly, was involved in such a thing, how physical it would be, or whether it was all more of a ritual. If the Familiar spoke true, Verin imagined that there was probably more to it than empty words and meaningless lip-service. He decided that, because Ender said it was painful, there was a physical element.

His learning of Hypnotism had required no initiation in a formal capacity, and he had never received any formal instruction in the art, which was possibly why he had had such a damaging effect on his younger brother when they were growing up. Yet a little Syliran girl, younger than him, had introduced him to the magic. It had been a shock to Verin’s pride when a female, a Syliran, no less, and a child, to make matters worse, had manipulated him with the craft. It was only after that incident that he decided he must better equip himself to fend off attacks from the mind. He viewed that as an initiation of sorts, though a very different type from the one Ender was no doubt talking about.

His eyes widened, however, when the Familiar offered to initiate him into this new craft of bending the elements to his will… Reimancy. It was a tempting offer, though he had only followed the Familiar back to the Master’s home in the hopes of learning more of Hypnotism, and how to better control that magic. He was keen to learn more, and didn’t want to fall into the same mistakes that he had made when his inadvertently manipulated the younger of the Rush twins to murder their father.

But when the Familiar offered his terms, Verin instantly decided that the deal was wiped off of the proverbial table. Despite his inherently racist nature, Verin had so far shown the Irylid kindness and understanding, but he would not allow himself to be apprenticed to one who was lesser than him. Though a powerful magical being, he did not doubt that Ender was indeed inferior to him, and he would not even try to change that way of thinking. Moreover, Verin had already apprenticed himself to another, in informal terms; the poisoncrafter Nolan Parnell deserved the title of ‘Master’ that Verin had bestowed upon him, and the exchange of knowledge had been beneficial to the pair of them. He would not lower himself further as to offer allegiance to another – it was not appropriate.

But the reason that he decided to share with the Irylid was the most important one, and he would not bend, even for such a tempting offer as this one. “
I cannot, Ender. I cannot, and will not pledge my loyalty to you. Doing so would stretch me too thin, and could very possibly put me in situations that compromise my integrity in the future. You ask too much, and you of all people should know that such bonds should not be taken on lightly.

He was playing to Enders sensibilities – he would not openly speak of his desires to join the Black Sun, as only his closest knew about such aspirations, but he could hint at it, as he had with Master Parnell. “
We do not know what the future has in store for us, and the Gods might have other plans than to see me follow you blindly, in exchange for the gift of Reimancy. I had hoped just for your tutelage in Hypnotism, a magic I am already partially versed in, but I will not offer my loyalty to someone whose own allegiance I do not know of. I especially do not approve of your threat to manipulate my mind, Ender. I am not your pawn, nor your inferior; you would do well to learn that threats are not taken well in this city.

He turned back towards the door, intent on leaving the reflective orb of ice, thinking that their meeting was over. “
Your price is too high, Ender. I’m sorry.
Verin Rush

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on May 21st, 2014, 6:15 am

Ender listened to what Verin had to say, and he filled with shame. Not because he had betrayed himself, which he very much had, but because he had insulted his friend. Though the sting of the truth spoken by the Human was harsh enough to cast the Irylid into depression. It caused him to see the fallacy in his actions, his entire way of thinking. The philosophy he borrowed, it was wrong, but not nearly as wrong as his original way of thinking. Truly the person who understood best was about to walk out the door forever.

It took the Familiar back to his arrival on this world. He was given a choice much the same. Verin was right, Ender did understand the importance of bonds. On that day, the day of his bonding, he requested one thing only. It was promised, though that promise did not hold true. He had long since known that the deal had fallen apart, but when did his beliefs crumble as well? All that the Familiar wished from his partner was to be treated as a partner, with respect, to not be a slave. He was ready to return to the hellish world of Fyrden if such a demand was not met.

The door's handle was turned, and in but a moment Verin would be gone. Ender knew he had made a mistake, but saw now with clarity what he must do. "Wait Verin, don't go. I was wrong, and you are right. I do not want to hold my gifts over you. If I did, they would not be gifts. I want us to be friends. Friendship is a partnership of equals, a bond of mutual respect and enjoyment. Were either of us in a position of advantage over the other, we would not truly be friends." Though still, magic was a delicate thing, not to be abused.

This man though, he was already a wizard. Maybe not in name, or in spirit, but in capabilities. Already in possession of magic, Verin was capable of causing great things. As it was, the man could use his magic for evil, but with guidance he could be swayed from such paths. "You are wise not to follow anyone blindly. I am unaccustomed to such interactions, so you will have to forgive my misstep. I see now, if I want to have any sway, it will be because my argument holds validity. And of course that you trust my judgement. Relationships, much like magic, take time to master."

Though maybe it was too late. It seemed that the Familiar's actions were quite insulting. "I understand if you are upset, if you must leave. Just know I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend, but magic is a very serious subject." Though the decision was made already in the Irylid's mind. "I would be glad to teach you, though I would still ask one thing. All I want is for you to swear you speak in honesty, and I need you to tell me one thing. Promise me that we are friends, and you are not simply using me. Do this and I will share my knowledge, as I would with any friend."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Verin Rush on May 22nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

Hand resting upon the brass door knob that would lead Verin out of Ender’s life, the Familiar spoke, staying his movements. The blond bartender did not turn around, however, as he listened to the reflective, silvery orb of ice try to negotiate and keep Verin there. He would not give Ender the satisfaction of knowing he had won over Verin so easily.

In truth, Verin was insulted, firstly that the Familiar thought so little of Verin that he would just instantly agree to servitude, just for a little more power. He wondered if this was something that the Familiar had learned from his Master, and if that was how their own relationship was structured. The lust for power was something very ingrained in human nature and, indeed, many other races – Verin wouldn’t be surprised if Ender and his Master had the loyalty and favours of half the city, just by offering them more magic.

For us to be friends, Ender, we must first trust each other,”Verin’s voice was barely above a whisper; it was low, as if warning the Irylid. He let go of the door knob and turned to face the room, looking at the whole orb. “And trust goes two ways. It is not something lightly offered in the city of lies and betrayal. Rhysol’s domain houses the most cunning, and the most careful.

Once again, Verin had to remind himself that this ball of ice was bonded to another. He know very little about Familiars and Familiary, so he could not say how much control the Master had over the Familiar. He did not even know where the mage was which was a worrying thought within itself. But he ignored those concerns for now, believing that Ender was far too innocent and naïve to pull off some grand deception, even at the request of his Master.

That is… if you mean true friendship.” Verin didn’t have many true friends – Venser, Grayson and Amolina being among the few that he would share most anything with. Other ‘friends’ were more like associates, people who owed him favours, or he owed favours to. People he would keep at arm’s length until he needed something, and it was a mutual agreement. There was nothing organic about the relations he had with those people.

Looking away from the Familiar for a chime, he cast his gaze around the room, searching out anything that he couldn’t give a name to. There wasn’t much, but there was some, and he wondered what other arts the Master indulged in. “
You will not be inducting me into this… Reimancy today, Ender. It is late and I have not the energy to focus on learning something new tonight.” In truth, he didn’t trust the Familiar, but he did not say that, not wishing to upset the creature more than was necessary. “Instead, we might just talk… tell me something of your Master – is he not friend enough to you? I assume he is not the purple cloaked man who followed me after the interruption at the Rising Dawn execution?

After a moment’s hesitation, the elder of the Rush twins smiled at the orb – he was finally beginning to feel relaxed, talking to something so unnatural and inhuman. It was a situation like nothing Verin had ever experienced before, and it had taken some time to get used to it. “
Perhaps you might teach me something more of Hypnotism… I am keen to hone my skills. In return, I could teach you something?” He had no clue what he could offer that a Familiar would find useful or interesting, but he offered nonetheless.
Verin Rush

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on June 18th, 2014, 12:48 am

Ender listened solemnly to the truth that Verin spoke. A wise and perceptive man, this Verin Rush was. To have such confidence, be so sure in everything, it was an admirable trait. It did not wear like the veiled sly cockiness the Familiar had witnessed in his master. Instead this was something else, a calculating mind, one that was sure of the conclusion it came to. Not worn in by magic or power, this man held something many wizards did not.

No, there would be nothing more of Reimancy, but instead an offering of other knowledge. Much had been learned of Verin, but so little truly revealed of the Irylid himself, the nature of his own life. This was because of the state he lived in, the conditions he was forced to exist in. A master afflicted with a mark of Uldr would have a Familiar afflicted too by it. No matter how indirectly, all of Ravok witnessed the effect of Uldr's power.

Verin wished to learn something in exchange for some bit of knowledge returned. A trade of knowledge was a simple exchange among wizards, but not among friends. "Yes, alright, I quite understand. We will have much to talk about later, but for now I have else to speak of." The feeling the time the two spent together was limited crept in.

"I may be a fool with a bit too much hope left in me, but I trust you, despite all connection you may bear to the domain of lies and betrayal. I shall tell you of my master, what I know of Hypnotism. In exchange, I do not ask for knowledge returned, I do not expect compensation. All I hope is that we are truly friends. That my favor will be its own reward, that you trust me too."

The simplest place to start was with Miro. No need to hide much, not to a friend. But as well the master always left his Familiar with a few understandings to follow. Loyalty trumped some perceived notion of friendship every time. "My master may just be one of the most powerful wizards that Mizahar has ever known. All of my own magic, it is just a fraction of his power I have borrowed."

That was the most simple truth of Familiary, the bond a master shared with his Fyrdenese partner. "We Fyrdenese, most of us seek to bond with a powerful wizard, but few will deny a chance to leave our world. When bonded to a master, two become one, joined permanently. Mind, body and soul, the bond unites them. And as this bond is mastered, the two entities grow more intimately connected." For better or for worse this was the situation.

"My master, he is incredibly powerful. But as you may suspect, such power has had its cost. My master, his name is Miro, and were you to see him, you would recognize him. An odd man, a crippled body, flamboyant robe, skull for a face, and talent in Hypnotism that would turn a knight into a nightmare. However I am his Familiar, his partner, and I follow his command without question. Though I am slave to no man."

The last statement, slave to no man, it was said out of pride. The truth of such a thing was questioned immediately, but resolved just as quickly. Unknown how much of this loyalty to his master was forged in Hypnotism, the Irylid concluded that what he felt was real to him. That one can not force the willing, and that he only did as he pleased. It just so happened that he cared to please his master more than his own whims.

"Though I suppose that is all you need to know of Miro. Someday you shall meet him, if it is your desire. There is much he can teach you that I can not. However for now, well, there is much that I can show you." It was not a discipline oft practiced by Ender, but with only a little teaching had come to understand ti well. "I am not much of a teacher, but I attempt to explain what I understand."

Techniques, application, warnings, these things were simple enough for now. "A Hypnotist of my level can accomplish quite a bit with their magic. The most simple techniques, they are the ability to implant an unconscious message and elicit the rise of an emotion. These simple techniques, the suggestion and emotional response as I know them, they are where we begin." But there was much more to such a complex discipline.

"These techniques are a Hypnotist's most basic, and they are where manipulation starts. They prime a mind for further manipulation, a generalized mental steering. Such simple spells as these do not require much strain, and as such can be cast on multiple targets, even at some range. However this is only the most basic of hypnotic tricks. The real test of a Hypnotist comes when they learn beyond this."

The next techniques unlocked, it had only become recently available to the Familiar, but he had long since witnessed them in action. The most impressive of which was the trance. "A real Hypnotist worth the title is capable of greater spells, the ability to trigger an actual thought, and the ability to briefly flare a sense mentally." These techniques were much harder to understand and explain however.

Techniques such as this however, they were delicate, only to be used tactfully. The greatest thing understood of the magic was the risk of exposure. So inexperienced and tactless, Ender was a disgrace to the name of the Hypnotist. "The sudden thought is simple enough, as it seems to appear in the mind quite naturally. The other technique, the flash, it is somewhat more complex. The mind causes a momentary trigger of a sense."

The Familiar moved closer and focused its Djed to expand its aura, to convey a hypnotic spell through its icy surface. The creature spoke with words seeped in tasked Djed, his presence influencing the mind of his new friend Verin. "I will show you a flash and you will understand. You will see what you have not, understand what you should not, witness a flash of sight." And with that the spell was cast.

In Verin's mind would appear sight, one that overwhelmed the actual sense of sight for the briefest of times. An image of a man, a red and azure robe about him, black and red skull shaped mask, long black hair, a white staff in a gloved hand and his other arm blackened, it hung loosely from opening in the chest of his robe. As well it was paired with a sudden thought, "This is a flash of Miro."

The Hypnotism wielding Familiar ceased his manipulations and spoke plainly. "That was a flash, and as well a sudden thought. The flash was the imagine you received, while the sudden thought was the thought that followed. The thought of how it was a flash of Miro, it was not your own, but one implanted by me. The last technique, it is too much for me to simply explain. Just know the greatest ability a Hypnotist holds is known as a trance. And remember I'll someday teach it to you."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Verin Rush on June 18th, 2014, 3:12 am

Assuming the Familiar was watching Verin’s expression, there could be no doubt that Verin was just as interested in Ender and his Master as he was about the possibility of learning a new discipline of magic. Perhaps, more interest was displayed on his face than before, for, if one were to allow another to teach him magic, he first had to know the teacher, rather than trust blindly that what the man said was true. Despite himself, Verin found that he liked ended, particularly his clear ignorance as to the world around him. He was no expert at deciphering others, but the young bartender suspected that the Familiar didn’t even know how to be deceptive.

This, of course, made him an interesting specimen in Ravok. True, many citizens were too foolish to know any better too, but to understand that Ender was the Familiar to a powerful wizard, was beyond curious. Verin wondered if the innocence and ignorance transferred onto the man also. "
Yes, I would like to meet him… one day, when we are better acquainted, and if he is agreeable," he said, softly.

He was surprised, however, when the Familiar emphasised that he was not a slave; Verin hadn’t been aware of making the implication that he was a slave, and blushed in mortification at insulting the silvery sphere. But, as he opened his mouth to rectify that issue, the conversation turned, and Verin realised that Ender was merely making a statement, not suggesting that Verin had said something untoward. He also realised just how passionate the Familiar was about magic, as he began to explain the intricacies of Hypnotism to the novice learner.

He listened with rapt attention, part of him wishing that he had a notebook and charcoal to take notes with, and part of him glad he didn’t, so that he would not distract himself from what Ender was actually telling him. The elder of the Rush twins nodded at points, having heard of Suggestion before – that was something that he practiced himself when using Hypnotism and, whilst he made mistakes and his attempts sometimes backfired, he could agree that Suggestion was a relatively simple form of manipulating a target. But, as Ender continued, Verin began to hear terms and concepts that he had never heard of before today, and he realised just how empty his knowledge base really was. He had never had an instructor in this discipline; everything he learnt was through reading snippets of notes, or through trial and error.

It had long since been proven by Verin that trial and error could, and would, lead to disastrous results, or even death… not knowing the true manifestation of a Suggestion meant that Hypnotism was a dangerous tool, when placed in ignorant hands, and he was pleased the Ender was explaining the progression of power in the magic, though it made him crave a little bit more, to give himself a slightly more powerful weapon to influence those around him.

As Ender leaned in, he also leaned in, and as the Familiar spoke, an image appeared in his mind’s eye of what he was told was Miro, the Familiar’s Master. He was unprepared for it, and Verin flinched back in his seat, surprised at the invasion of his mind. So that was what Hypnotism had to offer him, if he worked at the art and progressed… "
Suggestion… Emotional Response… Sudden Thought… Flash… Trance…" maybe there were more things that Ender had yet to mention, but this was more than enough to be getting on with for now. He had yet to even control the use of Suggestion properly, though he wondered, "the Emotional Response… how would you suggest going about that? With words? Does it require the same conditions as a Suggestion? How… how?"

OOCWhat Verin means at the end, with "the same conditions" is whether or not it requires eye contact >.>
Verin Rush

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on June 18th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Ender noted a bit of change in Verin, but understood the circumstances had shifted as well. Things felt less tense, friendly even, almost completely comfortable. There were still some nerves that came with new people, teaching, exploring new areas outside of the norm. Things were definitely set up for the future, even with meeting Miro, when the time was right. Everything had turned out just fine it seemed.

Better yet there was a demand for more knowledge on Hypnotism. The more favor given, the more to be reaped, the Irylid hoped. He knew plenty more to teach, but this was a realm beyond what he held under his belt. He had never performed a trance, witnessed anything beyond that. Though lately he had found himself capable of things he never expected. Hopefully the same would hold true for his new friend.

"Ah, yes, I understand what you are asking. I have learned much of how Hypnotism works, how the discipline works. I however am terrible at putting into practice what I have learned. At least in a Human form I am. There is something important every Hypnotist needs to understand. The key to a Hypnotist's power is Djed-fueled charisma. The ability to impress your will on others stems from this."

There was no easy way to explain the technicalities behind it, as if the Familiar truly understood Djed theory, the mechanics of Hypnotism or even the truths of the soul. The Fyrdenese understood Djed and the soul from a different perspective. Most of it revolved around the Familiary bond, though a few things were bound to be learned with some time on Mizahar. Practical explanations were something that could be accomplished at the very least.

"All people have an aura, exude social information, impress their wills on others. The way we speak, the words we choose, the tone in our voice, the speed at which we talk, this is one example. As well our body's work much the same, posture, facial expression, gestures, all of it has an effect on a person. But as well we people, just by our feelings, our thoughts, we release these onto the people around us with just our soul's presence."

Having been said, it just made sense. It was exactly what the Irylid failed so convey in his replicant form. To have to have a face, a body, to gesture, that was completely foreign. Even merely straying from his monotone was a bit of a challenge, as so often was a very important. A wizard hoping to impress others must first imprint his own hypnotic aura with the manipulation.

The icy orb was unpracticed, but not untrained. Use of Hypnotism was something he understood well enough, but the replicant form was an ability unrefined. There was no way the creature could emulate his master, let alone make a very convincing person. This would have to change, and hopefully Verin was the key.

"If you wish to cast Hypnotism, you must find a means of expression to channel Djed across. You must also task that Djed, to shape the will you push on another. For a suggestion, it means wording it, thinking the message. For an emotional response, it can mean emulating the emotion in you, thinking of something that causes a rise in yourself. Then you need only cast it."

Finally they came around to the actual question asked. Verin's question was a simple one, but it warranted a very complex response. All of it lead to a single point to be made. "To cast a spell, a Hypnotist must expand their aura of influence with Djed. The more powerful the spell, the closer one must be, the more charisma that must used to impress the manipulation."

Though the most important part was yet to come. "The methods of casting Hypnotism spells are great and varied, but always come down to the expression. The look in your eyes, expression on your face, poise, gesture, your voice and words, all of it, they are your tools." That was the most important realization the Familiar had made. "You must learn to feign on yourself exactly what you want to inspire in others."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext