Closed [The Harbor] The Return

(Mirage and Wrenmae)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Fallon on February 2nd, 2014, 9:21 pm

75th Winter 513 AV

Fallon stiffened.

It was the still winter air that caressed the docks, the icy fog that hung upon it and veiling it from view in the dull morning light. It was her shoulders that shrugged up around her, the furs and layers crinkling up around her neck before relaxing. But her eyes stared forever forward, lost within the swirling mists that smothered Port Silence. Never did she imagine returning here, never did she think about setting foot once more upon the dead stone of this particular citadel. So far from the place she would have once called home and thrust forward into the cold snap of ice.

And then she have a shiver.

The journey for the most part had been the daunting calm before the storm, that hollow nag before the lightning struck and the thunder let out a mighty roar. Her eyes gave only a blink, the face turning to that of a stone before that gaze sharpened. Her mind buzzed, ticking over with a quickly growing sense of dread. Something that was successfully drowning out the rest of the emotions. No, there was no need to worry. She was not going into this den of nightmares and despair alone. Even the sailors stared upon it with that lingering sense of nerves and hesitation, their once loud shouting having dipped into that of a low barely audible hum.

The sailors began to ready themselves for landing.

Her hand tightly grasped the side of the boat, a deep sucking in of the air. She could still turn back, she could simply return with the vessel on its journey back to Sunberth. To cast aside her goal and runaway once more. No, that was not an option. Buckling to her fears was no longer a way out, to surrender to terror and quake within her skin before this foggy abyss. She was here for him, to assist and aid where possible. In whatever it was he was doing - even she was not completely sure on what it was. First the was the Scars, now there was this. Still, he was the reason - at least, that was what she kept on telling herself. Her hand gave only a reassuring pat of her kukri upon her waist. For him, it was for him. And for her.

The gang plank released a thunk as it struck the surface of the dock.

Pivoting round on her heel she readied herself. Their descent into the citadel proper would come soon - no doubt that blasted golem would great them with that monotone voice with the lingering smell of oil on the air. Her skin was already crawling of the thoughts as to what might happen, the routine, the questions and worries. Fallon's eyes only darted to Wrenmae's for a moment, that flicker of concern before it dipped once more behind that of profession and hardness - her final shield against such a place. Voice cracking into life, she released a mutter, "Let's get this over with."

Sahova awaited them.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Wrenmae on February 6th, 2014, 8:09 pm

75 Season 513

For the last few bells of the journey, Wrenmae kept his eyes closed. He offered no excuse for it, crossing his arms against his narrow chest and leaning agains the mast. He could feel the waves buoying the boat, up and over...up and over, and perhaps even deeper than that, dark things swam, prowled, sought the meal that was promised by the light pulsing of Laviku's negative mark on his breast. Cold winds seeped past his clothes and into the skin beneath, a harrowing sort of touch...every bit the kind he would expect from the home of the nuits. Fallon had come up from below deck with him, although the two of them had spoken little since the journey had begun. Instead, Wrenmae kept the splendid dagger, the Shard of Akesh, out openly on his belt.

For the first part of the journey, he had laid it in his lap and concentrated over it, spending hours in quiet communion with the blade. It never spoke to him, not that he expected answers, but it was another reminder of what lay in wait for him across the sea. In his arrogance he had given himself three seasons to make a change in the world...something worth of the attention from the old Vault master. Now he approached the last days of the season, the arrogance finally an anchor that pulled around his heart. Somewhere on this island was an old man who might kill him.

He was forbidden to speak to Fallon about the matter, not in any significant length. The curious girl would only press for details, things that Wren could not say under penalty of his own mortality. Instead he kept her in the dark, another one of his omissions that seemed more and more like lies.

The sailors moved with a king of mechanical efficiency as the boat glided into port, and when Wren finally opened his eyes...at the coaxing of Fallon's voice, he saw again the daunting citadel that rose up before him, that inhospitable place of the dead and quiet magic hoarding. Nodding, he followed Fallon to the gangplank, pausing only to put a hand on her shoulder, familiar, comforting.

"We'll be fine, Fallon," he murmured into her ear, "Have faith in us. We are no longer the people who first came to Sahova. Since then we've learned...we've grown."

Whether she took solace in his words or not, she did not indicate, stepping down the gangplank as Wren's hand returned to his side. Soon, a golem would come to see them, but Wren could already feel the faint tugging of the key in a belt pouch, pulling him toward the forest...to where Chabiza had once been, toward the Vault.

If admission into Sahova was still as lax as before, he could slip away and make his way to the Vault.

There wasn't much time to waste.

Common
Thought
"Speech"
Zan

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Mirage on February 6th, 2014, 10:30 pm

e
As Fallon and Wrenmae stepped off the plank and onto the docks, it was not a golem that had come to greet them. No it was a man instead. A tall man with dark skin, green eyes and black hair tied back in a warriors braid. 10 long knives were strapped all over his body. Two at either hip, one on each forearm, one strapped to each thigh and two longer ones strapped cross on his back, the hilts sticking over his shoulders. The man's arms were crossed over his chest and a stern look marked his expression as he watched toe workers unload the cargo. As Wrenmae stepped onto the planks, however, a brief smile crossed his lips and he raised one hand in greeting to his hold acquaintance.

When Wren came closer Chabiza would step forward, clap him on a the shoulder with one large hand and nod a greeting, "Well kid, three seasons. Looks like you kept one promise at least." he patted Wren's shoulder before his eyes fell on Fallon, "And who is this? Don't tell me you brought your girl with ya on a trip to Sahova. Not the best spots for a bit of action, believe me I know." He laughed and gave Wren a knowing Wink before returning his attention to Fallon. He offered her his hand, and a slight dip of the head, "Nice ta meet ya. I am Chabiza, Groundskeeper of Sahova. Not very often we get pretty things like you come ashore." Looking at Wren, Chabiza motioned behind him, past the warehouses, "He's waitin over there. Go speak with him, and I will keep the miss company." Again he nodded at Fallon and smiled.

Just beyond the warehouses, on the ground of Sahova's shore, stood an older man with a long gray beard. His robes were colorful, befitting his station, and in his hands he held an old looking staff which seemed to be the only thing keeping him up at this point. When Wren noticed him the man would wave, indicating for Wren to come closer.

e
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Fallon on February 7th, 2014, 12:31 am

Silence. It was just silence. And Fallon hated it. Her skin writhed beneath the layers, crawling under the leathers as she focused her eyes fiercely ahead. Frightened almost on what was lurking beyond. But there was no groan of cogs or turn of metal. No grunts or scrapes of some shrilling voice of a golem. Just silence and the hovering figure of a man - human or nuit? - upon the docks. For a moment she gave only a turn, confusion filling her face and then flooding with questions. Who was this man? Why did he approach Wrenmae in such a forward and friendly manner? Where the petch were the golems?

His words did little to comfort, and as the grunts and groans continued on around her. For a moment there was a flinch, surprised at the friendly approach and the hand given in gesture. This was Sahova, how much had it changed - almost to the point that it could have seemed different. Or was it her? It knitted for a moment, comprehending the alien nature of it all, before the tense hand accepted it. There was a firm shake, a jerking nod in respect and the force of words upon her lips, "Chabiza? Fallon. Just Fallon. I am..." Eyes flickered to Wrenmae, a definite chew upon her lip in careful, calculated thought. On one hand there was the truth, the mention of relation and blood. But on the other hand this was Sahova, and even she felt that such knowledge would be quickly turned against them. Clearing her throat she continued, "An associate. That is all."

Clean and simple she met the gaze of Chabiza, holding it firmly before releasing it to look to the far off motion behind the warehouse. Her entire head cocked to one side at that point, the lids pinching in question. For a moment she looked as if she was about to take off after him - ready to leap into some form of action - but she stopped in mid-step and promptly slammed her foot down. Of course she did not have a choice, she was simply riding on her brother's shadow here. And that was perhaps how it should stay for the moment.

At least until she gained a better understanding on what exactly was going on. She was not quite prepared to stick her head into the jaws of a beast just yet. Sheepishly she tried to give a return smile.

"So. Groundskeeper," she scratched at her neck a croak of noise barely escaping, "I guess that isn't the shrub tending sort here?"
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Wrenmae on February 7th, 2014, 6:32 am

75 Winter 513

The last person Wren expected to see so soon was Chabiza and the wizard from the Vault. Fallon could feel the tension ease out of him when Chabiza stepped forward than seize up again when the wizard waved a lazy hand of greeting. Quietly, he let Fallon explain her relation to Wren without him chiming in. The journey had been long across the sea and honestly, part of Wren thought he might be able to enjoy Fallon's presence a little more.

He'd said so little to her about how much she meant to him, now especially, after she had chosen to come with him across the winter seas to Sahova. It wasn't many who would do that, few in fact...ever since the dream he had with Caelum and everything that happened in Sunberth it had become annoyingly apparent how lost he was sometimes. Gingerly he let a hand fall to the magnificent dagger on his belt, afraid it would crack in an instant at his moment of hesitation.

Everything he had worked for, one laborious step after another...all the lying and manipulation he had used to get where he was, all the trust he had to allow himself to have in the ability of others.

The boy who had asked to live three seasons ago was not the same who stood before the wizard today. It was different.

He could feel it, and even Chabiza seemed to. Wren nodded to the man, clasping his shoulder as well briefly before turning back to look at Fallon.

"I'll only be a few moments," He said to her with a reassuring smile, "I need to take care of some business first." Wren wanted to think she couldn't see the fear in his eyes, that mortal fear that came when any man strode willingly toward their possible death. But Fallon had been eerily intuitive since they'd met, and she probably felt the tremor of unease rattle through him and reflect sickening horror in his eyes.

By Vayt, let him be strong.

As he approached the wizard, he put a hand gingerly on the hilt of the dagger he'd been given. The Shard of Akasa, wondrous item...useless as a weapon and more a reminder of who he was. It had followed him, even the time he had cast it into the sea after Nyka...it always found a way back to him.

It was a badge of his soul, and only the wizard might read its intent.

Pausing in front of the wizard, Wren inclined his head.

"I expected to visit you in your home," He admitted, "I suppose you sensed the key and dagger's return though." He held it out to him, "This is how you will judge me, yes? This and my word?"

There was a moment between them and Wren took in a breath, held it, and let it out. "That is rude of me...hello, Vault Keeper, it's been three seasons. How have you been?"

Common
Thought
"Speech"
Zan

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Mirage on February 9th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Chabiza watched after Wrenmae as he made his way toward the Keeper, but at Fallon's question he once more turned his attention back to the woman with a smile and a chuckle, "Nah, Groundskeeping on Sahova is a bit different than what you might be used to over on the mainland. I only rarely tend with the shrubs, until their yearly frenzy when they devour parts of the Mudpools in their gluttony." He said this all with a straight face, for indeed it was completely true. "Mostly I see to the beasts that roam the Testing Grounds, and I hunt those failed experiments that happen to escape into the surrounding woods on the island. It tends to be a lot bloodier job than most groundskeepers." He laughed and set his hands on his hips, nodding at Fallon, "What about you? Woman like you looks like she can near take care of herself. How did you end up with the kid? Last I saw him he could not help but fly into trouble at every bend. Don't tell me you are his bodyguard." Chabiza winked.

As Wrenmae drew closer Merlus would nod his head, leaning on his staff and offering a small smile that tilted the corners of his beard up, "Greetings to you as well Wrenmae, or perhaps I should refer to you as 'Hound' from now on?" He chuckled and shook his head. It might be noted that the Keeper's body looked just the same as it had when they had first met, "I am well enough as can be. Old and decrepit, nearer the grave with eery passing tick, but well enough." The man did not even look at the Dagger, but kept his eyes on Wrenmae's as he slowly asked, "Tell me Wrenmae, were you successful?" The question was an obvious one. The Keeper looked at the boy intently, a smirk on his lips and a knowing look in his eyes as if he already knew the answer but wanted to hear it from Wremae himself.
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Fallon on February 9th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Bullshyke, was the thought that rung in her mind as Wrenmae gave that smile. Her eyes only gave that sharp look in return, a silent call out in disbelief. But she did not vocalise it - he did not need such words right now. No, all she had to do now is remain silent and wait patiently. Fallon gave a snort, her arms folding as she stared off after the direction Wrenmae had set off in. Eyes narrowed, the lids pinching at the edges. For a while she was silent, simply listening, her throat constricting in reflex to his words.

"Failed experiments?" she blinked. Experiments and the hunting of them was the most chilling, even the hairs upon her arms rose in reaction to them, the scars giving an old throbbing burn in reaction. Twitching she turned her head to Chabiza and his laughter before clasping her hands behind her back. How could he be at ease in such a place? Her brow rose, a pause as she regarded his question and then brought herself to answer.

"He couldn't pay me enough to be his bodyguard," she quipped in response, even her lips managed to curl up into a flickering crooked smile. Her gaze however quickly returned to that of her surroundings, "Of late I'm a mercenary, it brings in the coin and covers the expenses. Messy job, more so when you're not given the full picture on things - humans can turn surprisingly nasty. Especially when it's important stuff on the line." She shook away the forming image;, the angry shouts of rage, the call of despair and the silent judgement of eyes as she passed on by.

Exhaling she continued, "Me and him? We met up in Syliras, I wanted to get out of the stone coffin and so I quickly followed after him. Seemed like a good way out. Ended up following him down to Sunberth and now here - not much to it really. There are other reasons and other ties, but..." she focused her sight onwards and into the distance, "They can wait for another time and when we're more acquainted."

It was at that point that Fallon gave a gesture to the Island as a whole, "Why Sahova? Sure, hub of magic and research but... bit depressing."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Wrenmae on February 12th, 2014, 5:06 pm

75 Winter 513

Damn meddling wizard. Had news of his exploits followed him to the island?

No. Looking at the old man, he could sense that the news had preceded him. No one had come to tell Merlus his plans, and no one had been following close enough to hear the nuances of Wren's schemes. Idly his eyes dusted the top of the dagger, wondering if perhaps the old man could hear through it...see through it. Might explain a lot. Taking a breath, Wren dared to glance furtively over his shoulder at Fallon before focusing on the Vault's protector again.

"For your age, you have impeccable hearing," Wren answered him dryly, drumming his fingers on the dagger's hilt, "Or perhaps you've been watching me since Sahova, hm?"

Shaking his head, he took the dagger out of his belt and presented it to the Vault keeper, laid out on two open palms. "The dagger changed, as I'm sure you intended. I'm not sure what it exactly shows you, but The Scars have begun to rise in Sunberth. In a matter of seasons the Daggerhands will be hunted down, we'll take their spot in the power vacuum and begin gathering the information, allies, and contacts necessary to build a new human empire." He searched for acceptance in the old mans eyes, for something akin to triumph or disappointment. Would he be killed here? Would his body crumble in front of Fallon, turn to dust, and leave her with all his ambitions? He should have spoken to her on the way here, should have laid out plans in case he wasn't successful.

Beneath the eyes of Merlus, his heart stuttered in his chest, suddenly unsure of all his accomplishments to date. Were they enough?

"I...of course look to the future," he plied with a frown, "Building something not seen since the Valterrian requires a great deal of patience and planning. My people will inevitably require some time and effort to begin bringing people around to their way of thinking, but the cornerstone is laid in the dirt and I've begun to build up."

Angling his head back towards Fallon, he allowed himself the smallest smile, "If not for my sister, I may not have had the time to get it all together. Was that one of your lessons, Merlus? For me to learn to trust and appreciate the help of another? If so, you have some...curiously apt visions."

Common
Thought
"Speech"
Zan

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Mirage on February 16th, 2014, 5:21 pm

"Aye," Chabiza agreed with a nod to Fallon, "That they can, and those of the undead it goes doubly so." he looked back over his shoulder at Wrenmae before shrugging to continue, "A mercenary hired who is not a body guard. Now that is a first, but then I suppose the kid doesn't actually need one." He grunted and looked back at Fallon, "Syliras you say? Never been. They don't take too kind to my people and our way, even though they put up the front of tolerance."

"As for your other reasons and acquaintances..." he stroked his chin, "Well those are your own business so I'll let you tend to them without my probing."

At the last question Chabiza chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest, "You make it sound like I chose to be here. No Miss, I was brought here as a slave. A play thing of the deadies on the island. Turns out I have a certain set of skills that they find desirable, so they took off my physical chains and used other methods to bind me here. Now I fight here because I know nothing else. Maybe one day I'll hop a boat and sail back to my home... but the women there are far scarier than any nuit scum I can assure you." He winked.

"You put too much faith in my supposed omnipotence Wrenmae. I am merely a very good guesser." He winked and looked over Wren's shoulder at Fallon before finally accepting the dagger with two hands. The Keeper barely glanced at it, but his eyes did stray between Wrenmae, Chabiza, and Fallon and finally back once more. When the Keeper touched the dagger Wrenmae would feel an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of his stomach. Like he was being seen completely through, that this man could see all of his falts laid out in a row for him to examine one by one.

Merlus listened in silence, now turning the dagger over in his hands and examening the blade. He ran his fingers gently over the green steel, and Wrenmae would feel goosebumps rise up on his skin, "I believe you have a misconception of your situation Wrenmae Sek." He said softly, "You are under the assumption that it is I that will be casting judgement on you, but you would be wrong. The one who will judge your actions up until this moment is this." He grasped the dagger by the hilt with both hands, raising it to eye level for Wren to see.

"This item is a beautiful piece. Its worth far outshines what the nuits of Sahova thought they understood about it. It is, in fact, a work by Areesa Tallshade herself, but her foolish apprentice stole it and the credit for its creation. He did not understand what it was he held, and so like the fool he was called it a 'Mirror' because he thought it simply showed the wielder their inner soul." Lowering the blade, Merlus kept his eyes on Wrenmae, even as he pressed the tip of the dagger against the boy's chest, over his heart, "It's real name is... Crucible."

The dagger pierced Wrenmae's clothing and into skin, but he would find himself unable to move, or to speak. The way they were positioned Wrenmae's back would keep Merlus, and the dagger, from view of the others.

"I gave you a task to accomplish. Make a change in the world, no matter how small. You took it to mean the world as a whole, and thus you began to create your organization, in the hopes that it would eventually change the world in your stead." He pushed the dagger in further, but there was no pain. Just the feeling of cold spreading, numbing his whole body, "In truth I never specified which 'world' you were to change. This was deliberate on my part, as it would allow you to prepare yourself for this day. The Crucible, you see, is not a mirror. It is a test, a judgement of your heart and soul. As you carry the dagger it will change to reflect your soul as you learn and grow. The test is to see if you can live with the soul you have created, and the world you were to change was your own." Merlus looked over Wren's Shoulder at Fallon once more, his eyes lingering there a moment before he continued, "It does not matter if you do great deeds of good, or great deeds of evil. The Crucible is not so pure as to say there is one righteous path that must be followed. The true judgement is in your own heart. Can you bear to look upon what you are and what you have done. If your soul is weak and falters, unable to accept what it is or what it has become, you will die. If your soul is strong and firm, and accepts what you have done and what you have become then you shall live."

Merlus leaned closer then, speaking to Wren's ear, "Face your Crucible. Face yourself. If you live, then Crucible will be yours to command. That is the reward you will receive." He plunged the dagger the rest of the way through Wrenmae's heart, piercing him through so that the tip of the dagger protruded through his back. Wrenmae's vision would go white, and then slowly it would dim to nothing.

Floating in darkness, time would feel as though it were standing still. Before him there was a mirror as tall as he was. He could see himself reflected there, his true self. This image would step free from the reflection, walking toward Wrenmae and speak of all he had done up till now. HIs body and appearance would change to reflect every action, every deed. It would show Wren what he really was. Would he be able to survive? Thankfully Wren would find a companion in the darkness. Zan floated there with him, man size and shaped though his body was made completely of water.

Fallon would simply see the dagger pierce Wrenmae through, but he would not fall. Chabiza would open his mouth a moment in shock, but then reach forward to stop Fallon from interrupting.

OOCOK wren I place it in your hands now! You will play the part of Wren (lol weird right?) and you will control that inner struggle. Can Wrenmae face what he really is? Even with Zan there, can he bear to see himself for what he has done, see his soul as it really is? This I leave totally in your hands. Play it smart, and play it real. Make it a good story :)

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

[The Harbor] The Return

Postby Wrenmae on February 20th, 2014, 9:12 pm

75 Winter 513

“Come then,” Shroud said, sharpening white nails against Crucible’s edge, “Let’s begin.”

Wren scarcely had time to react before Merlus stabbed him. His mind was just starting to grasp the complexities of what the old man had said. Crucible. The blade had always been ready to test him. Fool that he was, Wren had never considered the ramifications of what the Vault keeper had said. The blade entered him with the same ease as it would have passing through water. Wren reached up slowly, putting a hand on the hilt just as his world washed out with white, cascaded sterile brilliance into his mind and wiped his vision clean of the world around him. He only had time to half turn towards Fallon before his face went slack, his knees locked, and his hand pointlessly held the handle of the dagger, as if he had plunged it through his own chest.

When the white cleared, he stood in darkness, facing himself. It was as though he were gazing into a reflecting pool, but the clarity of the copy was so striking he could not help but feel it were real, more than real. Beside him, Zan occupied a body of shifting water, liquid and light. Reaching up, he ran a hand along rippling skin in a too-human way and sighed.

“Well then. First day back to dead-land and we’re already joining them. Well done, Wren. Well done.”

Wren reached up to where the dagger had plunged into his breast, found nothing but unmarred skin. But his reflection did not also reach up to touch the skin, instead it frowned, shrinking, reshaping, stepping out toward him with a sickly pallor and bony arms like winter tree branches. Wren stepped back, in spite of himself, starting in the face of the apparition. Calm brown eyes followed him, but did not menace.

“Hello Wren.”

He took a breath, the child held it for him, small chest rising, straining against the world that seemed so intent on ceasing that movement.

“Hello Egyptus.”

In seasons before, when the madness had flowed through Wren’s brain like blood and fever, he had many names for himself. This was among the first, wise and quiet, a voice of reason when Zan was not. Egyptus was that part of himself that always rose in defense of his moral high ground, long since lost beneath seasons of scarred landscape and boiling blood. Egyptus had rarely come out, to Wren’s knowledge, having been weaker than the wild Weaver and the brutal Shroud. Was this then his test? To deal with the parts of his splintered self? Rhysol’s manacle, invisible and pulsing on his right wrist should have repaired them…but really they just became shadows in the backdrop of his mind, inactive till now.

“We never got much of a chance to speak before,” the child said, surprisingly well spoken for his age, “But the dagger, the power of it…you’ll step willingly into any fire if there’s power for you at the end of it.”

“That’s not…”

“True?” Zan finished, his vocal intonation subbing for the raised eyebrows he didn’t have, “We both know that’s a lie. It’s always been about power, even before you had a convenient excuse to gather it.”

Egyptus smiled and curled his fingers at Zan, a small, shy wave, so different from his speech, measured and calm. It was a moment before he returned attention to Wren, reaching behind his back and pulling out the dagger. Crucible blazed in the boy’s hand and he pointed the end at Wren. “If you are so eager for power, I’ll unlock all you have. We were weak once, weak and dying. I think you’re still afraid. You’ll never let yourself be truly powerless again, never vulnerable…not truly.”

Pulsing light blazed from the end of the dagger and struck Wren in the chest, the force bringing him to his knees. “You’re a coward, aren’t you? Well. Fear no more. Have all the power you want.”

Coils of energy roiled through Wren’s veins, the heady madness of magic frothing in his body. The sorcerer screamed shockwaves, fire, earth, water, and blasts of air, the Void twisting and closing within the wild magic. His body collapsed, reformed, collapsed again. He bristled with masteries of any discipline he had ever studied. For a moment he could grasp them all, the limits of the power, the possibilities, the awe inspiring dominion of it all. For a moment, Crucible granted him the power he had so desperately sought.

Zan said nothing, twisting with the same wild energy. Egyptus was gone and Wren stood alone to look at his reflection, the pulsing half-thing with tentacles, fire, and madness written on his brow. With this body, with this power, he could accomplish his ends…he could build an empire. Only the gods and their children could rival him for power…and…

And.

He wasn’t human anymore.

Gingerly he reached towards his face, slithering flesh releasing fingers of molten energy to trace along his skin. So little of himself was left. Egyptus was gone, his body ruined, everything he was…everything he could be, enslaved for the cause. He stood like a purpose, he WAS a purpose…an ends to justify a means. “I…” He spoke the word in a thousand vocal chords, stopped, turned to Zan, “I…Is this what I’ve…” he broke again, his face growing and collapsing a hundred times before he spoke next, “What have I become?”

“You fleshbags have a lot of pride for what you are,” the Sarawanki said softly, caught in the cradle of colliding powers, “It isn’t for me, but then…I’m not changing who I am. I think we both know that the truth is that you don’t fear being weak…you fear being alone. Power brought you everyone you have now. Your strength inspired them, your plans fooled them. You’re afraid if there’s nothing special about you, nothing at all…that no one will care. That you’ll be nothing.”

Wren’s skin cried, his mind wrapping around the words even as his body shuddered beneath the magnitude of the change, “Being human has always been one of your greater strengths,” Zan finished, holding his arms out, as if to embrace, and then dropping them, “But if you continue. If this is all you’ll be…then you might as well always be lonely. There’s no one else here but you and me, partner. It’s lonely…being superior.”

The world inside the blade stopped, Crucible floating where Egyptus had vanished. As the child wrapped his hands around the hilt once more, he re-appeared, grave and frowning. “You have to be willing to give up all that you are, all that you could be…to embrace the one gift you’ve had from the beginning.” He reached out toward Wrenmae, his little hand pale, like the heavy snow that had almost silenced it. Wren blinked with a multitude of eyes, shuddered, as if shrugging off the monstrousness around him, and reached out to take the child’s hand.

Crucible clattered to the blank ground with the sound of stone on metal, Egyptus was gone and the magic with him. Wren held onto nothing, just the memory of a tiny hand pressed into his skin, like the fading kiss of a lover. The warmth remained, but the hand was gone.

“And my oh MY what an intervention that was.”

Crucible danced from hand to hand, held by the second of the personalities. Weaver, wide brim hat obscuring his features, flipped the dagger from hand to hand idly, twisting it between his fingers and flipping it from space to space across a smirk.

“Weaver.” Wren spoke the name he’d given the apparition. Not that they’d ever met before, but when Anna described this particular shade of Wren’s self, he’d known what it was in an instant. “Here to make some sort of speech?”

“Boyo, boyo, you mock me.” Weaver pulled the hat down low over his face, till jus the smirk glinted white in the strange space they occupied, “A good Storyteller never reveals the plot before the turn. We have to reach the climax yet.”

“You know,” Zan offered, his voice lilting, “I did rather like this side of you. But a bit too much like me to really get along…turns out I can be super insufferable when I’m not myself.”

“Wisdom from the mouth of the river-man,” Weaver laughed, clapping his hands together, “But let’s get down to the meat of it all. We call this an intervention, story-style, when the hero needs an outside force to set him right on his path to destiny. And here we are, your own like-faced cadre of wise-speakers, world-walkers, death-dealers. Just what any head needs to evaluate the worth of the soul.”

“This isn’t a story,” Wren muttered, crossing his arms, “I don’t have time for your games.” Despite himself, a smile rose, murky, from his mouth to spread across his cheeks.

“Spoilsport,” the apparition clucked, spinning the dagger and then clasping it harshly in his palm, “Consider yourself and your actions. Tell me you aren’t trying to be a story.”

Wren’s eyes narrowed, he said nothing.

“Plucked from despair by the mercy of a god…but oh! That mercy has a catch! Gone are those who can get close to you, gone are the family he lived with. Our hero snatches a name from a book and takes it as his own.” Weaver circled Wren, clacking the dagger against his nails, “Storyteller, adventurer, he seeks out measure in a journey cross the seas. All but he sinks and he washes up new in a new place, tortured, visited, torn, and then made anew. Now he seeks to bring the world back to a shining glory long past. You are a story. You even leave the most dangerous ones alive, just to give them the…second chance. But we both know you want a protagonist.”

“Why would I want an protagonist, Weaver?” But the storyteller didn’t answer, only stepped in and drove the blade into Wren’s shoulder, digging it in to the tendons and bone. Howling, Wren staggered backward, drawing his hands back to cast reimancy…too late to realize he had given it all to Egyptus. Weaver drew the dagger back again and drove it into Wren, drove it in again.

Rolling across the ground, Wren put up his hands to ward away the blows…but it wouldn’t have been enough, not till Zan stepped in, merging his hands together like a geyser and throwing Weaver off of Wren. The storyteller rolled across the ground, dropping the dagger before rocketing to his feet.

“Wren! The dagger!” Zan shouted and reaching out, Wren grabbed the hilt of the blade and drew it toward himself. Weaver hung in the space above him, paused mid jump as Wren’s grip shook, the dagger’s point askew.

“Can’t kill me, can you?” Weaver muttered from where he hung, suspended, “Want to ask if we can’t just get along. But not everyone you’re close to will be the same way. You need to make the hard choices. No second chances, no self defeating. You put yourself into a story because you hoped you’d be the antagonist. Someone big would stand up and stop you…big story finish, big happy end…a monster gets his. But can’t think like that anymore, can you buddy-o? No sir, the world is too mighty to be held up by such conventions and you can’t set yourself up for failure with the woman you love so close in tow.”

"Love?" Wren spat, tasting blood on his lips, “She’s my sister!”

Weaver only grinned, “So quick to assume I meant one kind of love, when it could have easily been another. Someone’s harboring dubious feelings.”

He fell, Wren stabbed, Weaver enveloped his assassin, bringing his lips down to whisper wetly in his ear, “Can’t afford to be the villain anymore Wren. Time to pull the rug out from under the audience. We’re talking hero stuff here. Big stuff. Can’t afford to cling to darkness anymore.”

And then he was gone.

And so was Crucible.

“Come then,” Shroud said, sharpening white nails against Crucible’s edge, “Let’s begin.”

The pale-faced phantom strode up to the slowly rising Wren, took Crucible and brought it into Wren’s stomach, out again and into his chest. Zan moved to intervene, but Shroud brought the blade up, slashed at the Sarawanki, forced a retreat, and shoved the blade into Wren’s neck. Wren scarcely had the strength to fight, twisting beneath the pressure as senseless cold rose up to grab him. He didn’t feel himself fall, not so much as he heard the crack of bone on something harder, and the ebbing of fading warmth.

Shroud stood above him. “You’re a killer. A murderer. You’ve done this and worse to more. We go round and round, don’t we? Always assuming we can take the high ground, that we are as good as the others. But Sunberth was our real home wasn’t it? You can kill there, you can rule. In the end, it’s the strong that devour the weak…isn’t that what Vayt always wanted? We kill, we lie, we cheat, we do what we must to keep surviving. You were weak, Wren. You still are. But fret not. Deep down you have me and every time you draw that blade, you can feel it there.”

He held out his arms, dropping Crucible, stepping in to spit in the sorcerer’s face, “You’re a monster, and you enjoy that. Denying what you are, shacking up with that Syliran girl, all your stupid plans…it’s all for power. This? Power. You’d sell Fallon out the moment you could if it meant advancing your plans. Look at me, Wren. Look and remember that THIS is who we are!”

“No.”

Wren croaked against the blood clogging his throat, against the darkness trying to overwhelm him. “No. I am not you…” Shroud took a step back, reached out for Crucible…but the dagger was in Wren’s hands, and he was standing again. Swaying on unsteady feet, the taste of iron and death on his tongue, the storyteller brought up the blade and stalked Shroud. The confidence, that arrogant hatred faded, edged with fear…he took a step back, then another.

“You were always the most troubling,” Wren coughed, “Always the worst of me. I feared you. I hated you, but you know what I’ve learned?” Shroud backed into a wall, his eyes flattening, lips curling back into a snarl. Wren kept coming. “The Strong Live. The Weak Die. I feared that ability of mine. I feared death. I killed to feel stronger, I killed to feel alive. It was them or me and I ALWAYS felt that. Once I thought you were the strongest part of me, that part that would do anything, BE anything that was necessary. But you’re just my shadow, shrinking from a fight, hiding in my wake. You are nothing. Not disciplined, not strong, not potent. And you know…you’re right about one thing.”

He drove the dagger into Shroud’s chest, right into his heart.
“The Strong live. The Weak die.”

Zan stood behind him, hands behind his back, “Not bad, Wrenny boy…couldn’t have said it better myself.”

There was light. There was energy like fire that coursed through him. The world around him cracked and shattered.

Wren turned to Zan and smiled, and it was one of the first genuine smiles he’d had since he’d been ten years old.

Common
Thought
"Speech"
Zan

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next