Completed A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Leti is taught a very irregular lesson.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Letixia Raigner on February 25th, 2014, 12:55 am

Winter 35, 513

Just after midday, Leti made her way to find her Patron for her afternoon studies. She was a little sore from her morning's trainings, but as always, she would recover. She found Ser Ranqor sitting at his desk, going over some sort of paperwork. He looked up as she entered, smiled, "Well then, I think we shall have an interesting sort of lesson today. Did you bring your coin pouch with you?"

"Yes Ser."

"Hand it here."

"Yes Ser."

She handed him the pouch of coins, quite literally the only wealth she owned in the world, jingling lightly. He turned it over on his desk, pouring the coins out. He picked up five silver mizas, dropped them in the pouch, and handed it back to her. "Think of this as a lesson in math and business. You will get the rest of your coins this evening, assuming you succeed in this lesson. I want you to take these coins, and triple their value you by the end of the day. You will do this by any means possible, within the realm of our laws. Do you understand?"

"Yes Ser.

"You may go."

"Yes Ser.

She took her now much lighter pouch, and left. She thought about ways to increase her money as she wandered through the halls. Her mind quickly turned to her father, a merchant. He would tell her to be careful with her money, to buy something anybody might need, and sell it for a bit higher. So she needed to find a place where people would be in need. But not people she would end up taking advantage of, someone with excess. She thought about shops, but most, if not all, probably already had suppliers.

She continued through the hallways toward the Great Bazaar, when she came across a few children playing cards on the ground. She didn't know the game, but it gave her an idea. She changed her direction, and began making her way toward the docks. Several chimes later, she was standing in front of what appeared to be a warehouse. She stepped through the doors of the Spinning Coin, wondering if Ovek would smile upon her this day.

Letixia Raigner
Player

Words: 92660
Joined roleplay: February 20th, 2014, 7:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 25th, 2014, 4:27 am

The 35th of winter was one of the rare days that Xira had no work. No star struck lovers passing notes between them, no demanding nobles, nor intimidating knights in their shining armor. So the young courier was free to pursue his leisure. Typically at this point he would be doing errands that he needed to do, but that afternoon Xira was feeling...Fey.

No, he wanted to have some fun. His feet took off walking even though his head still had only an inkling of what he wanted to do. Moments later he found himself pushing his way into the dark and hazy realm of The Spinning Coin. The young man could never get over how large the place seemed on the inside. A stage, a bar, tables and spaces to bet on races and fights. If someone was looking for fun the 'Coin was the place to go.

The courier was neither a drunk nor a gambler and only frequented the place to connect with those who might someday need his services. But when he did visit he fancied himself a card player and a dicer. On entering he bumped into a tall, but young lady, "Pardon me, M'lady," he said and pushed on inside.

It was only just after noon and the place was packed with patrons. Many already had their minds addled by alcohol. Tables where card games were being played had a tendency to turn into uproarious laughter at lewd jokes, given in equal measures from woman as from men. The rattling of dice and other games dominated the room just as much and Xira knew he was going to have a good time.

He could not say that he knew the future nor did he have the skill to rig fate into his favor, but he felt lucky today. He took a seat at an open table and was dealt in. There were still a couple seats open, perhaps more would join him and the fellows that afternoon.

My words

Your words.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Letixia Raigner on February 25th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Leti was caught staring in wonder at the expanse of the Spinning Coin. She'd rarely seen so many people enjoying themselves all at once. It surprised her how loud it was, and it seemed everyone had a drink. And a companion. She was panged with a hint of loneliness. She was bumped into, but the mild assailant was quick to give a polite apology. She was quickly swept into the room by the flow of people. She started to meander around the tables, when a pretty woman came up to her with a tray. "A drink? Two silvers."

Leti was quick to politely decline, because she'd never drank before, and she needed to save her five silvers. She didn't know which game she would be best at, so she found a table with an open seat. It looked to be poker, she had to sit this hand out though, it already having been dealt. "How much to play?"

The dealer looked up at her, and smiled, although it appeared to be a bit annoyed. "Five red chips per silver. Five blue chips per gold." She handed him two silvers in exchange for five red chips. She felt the smooth, painted wood. She had to make them count. But for now, she sat back to watch how this hand went before she joined in for the next.

Letixia Raigner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 28th, 2014, 5:50 am

The tall, pretty woman Xira bumped into earlier took a seat next to him. With a bow of his head and a smile he acknowledged her before turning back to the cards. He had never played this game before, something called Stammer and Blush. "So how do you play this game?" He asked his neighbor, a taller burly man with a jovial smile. His smile was infectious and had Xira smiling, but he couldn't help but notice the pile of painted chips; he had the most of anyone at the table. No wonder he seemed so chipper. The courier himself put down a silver for 5 chips.

"A youngen, huh? Well this I guess you've never played Blush then?" A quick nod confirmed this and so the musclebound fellow nodded sagely, "It's not a hard game, a red to buy into the game. You're dealt a pair of cards then you wager, match a person's wager every or fold every turn. Turn ends when everyone has given a choice to At the start of each turn they add a card to the table until there is five cards on the table. Then we do a final wager and show our cards. Hands are your two cards and three on the table, Highest hand wins the pot."

It was a bit much to take in all at once, but Xira wasn't concerned. He would get a better hang of it when he started played. So with his pair of cards and the chip in the pot he was ready to go. "So... What's considered high?" He stared down at his hand painted cards. One had a seven Arrows, the other had a stately woman with a stylized shield.

The big man smiled wide, clearly enjoying the explanation as he tossed in a chip "10 is the highest of the numbers, then the Page, Queen and King and Tree. If there is a tie, Arrows before spears, Spears before swords, swords before shields." A mousey fellow from across the table chipped and continued where the big man left off, "But you can also beat the number value, by having combinations. Pairs are the lowest, above just having a high numbered hand, then having three of a kind, but also having a sequence of numbers. Like I might have an a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 all in a row. So you have to keep checking your hand with the cards being laid down. Having a hand with all the same suit is above a row. Then four of a kind, any combination of any of those is better and having the royals in the mix is the best." The mousy man seemed to keep going and going with the description of strategies and points and such. It was a lot to take in and he had no mind for strategies, but he think he could manage with what he learned so far.

He noticed at this point that his other neighbor, the pretty woman, had not bought into some cards. "Bit much for you too?" He asked quietly as the mousy man continued rambling on and the others, the burly man and the dealer, chatted amiably.

Wager: 1 red
Xira's chips: 4 red
Cards in Hand: Seven of Arrows, Queen of Shields.

Ledger: -1 SM

My words

Your words.
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on March 31st, 2014, 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Letixia Raigner on March 8th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Leti listened carefully as the instructions were given to the good looking gentleman. It sounded very similar to Blush, which she'd played a few times as a child, but a few key differences. Plus, she'd never bet money on it in the past. When her seat partner turned to her, she smiled, "A little. I've never gambled before, probably not the best way to make money I'm beginning to think." She listened halfheartedly as the man rambled on about strategies and such, but she'd often found the best way to learn tactics in anything was to learn by doing. The only problem being that if she failed, she'd only have three silvers left to turn into fifteen.

After that hand finished, the dealer looked around for everyone to buy in at one red chip. Leti nervously put in a single red chip. He then dealt each player two cards. He then flipped over three communal cards, and announced for betting to begin. There was a '4 of spears', an '8 of swords', and a 'Page of Shields'. Her own hand contained a '7 of swords' and a 'King of arrows'. It didn't look like she had anything good with the current hand. The mousey man bet one additional red chip, so she decided that she would match that but not raise it if it got to her. If someone else raised it, she would fold. She smiled at her neighbor, "Good luck."

Letixia Raigner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 13th, 2014, 7:30 am

Xira smiled at the woman, sizing her up a moment. She was pretty creature. Tall and thin with green or hazel eyes. It was a common enough tactic to lie about their experience. He would have to watch her to see if she was telling the truth. He was interrupted by the dealer laying out his card. He frowned at his cards, unaware of the furtive glances the other players were giving. He did his best to figure out if he had any sort of good combination.

As the betting came around to him he called the bet and added one of his chips. As he passed his turn he watched the burly man scrutinize his cards. His expression was unreadable and then it turned to a smile. He caught Xira's eye and winked before announcing that he folded. The courier did not know how to interpret that. Instead of reacting his eyes moved to the dealer who added a chip to the pot and it came around to the mousey man. The dealer was an older gentlemen, his hair a frosted gray and his face with a weathered texture of tree bark. He had said nothing since Xira sat down and seemed to have no expression on his face the entire time.

"So whuts your name stranger?" The big man asked. Xira gave it and the man responded, "Nice to meet'cha. This here" he pointed to the mousey man " is Mel, the old man is Tristin and I am Gustov. And this young lady is...?" He trailed off waiting for his neighbor to supply her name. As he asked and did so Mel flipped over another card, it was a Seven of Spears.

Cards in Hand:
    Seven of Arrows,
    Queen of Shields.

Cards on the table:
    4 of Spears
    8 of Swords
    7 of Spears
    Page of Shields

Wager: 1 chip
Pot: 9 Red( 7 Red before this post)

Xira's chips: 3
My words

Your words.
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on March 31st, 2014, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Letixia Raigner on March 14th, 2014, 10:06 pm

She'd set in a single miza in order to meet everyone's bet. She then turned to watch the man next to her begin his turn. He had joined in the betting as well. The next man had smirked, then forfeited his hand. Catching his wink, she also realized that she had to pay attention to her own facial expressions, as well as others. She didn't know if she had the ability to even do that. So she sat back to watch, as all the bets were squared away, and another card was flipped, this time the Seven of Spears.

It was then she realized that she was being spoken to. "Oh I'm sorry, my name is Letixia, but most people call me Leti." She didn't give her usual rank and file as squire to Ser Ranqor Grayne. It wasn't lying, just not giving them all the information. She didn't want to be treated differently or looked at strangely for it. The mousy man knocked on the table, and Leti saw the dealer's eyes fall on her. She didn't really know what that meant, but he hadn't added any further chips, so she knocked as well, sending it to Xira, then the dealer again. She decided to participate in the conversation, the men seemed fairly helpful, so she started with, "This is my first time playing this game. I've only ever played Blush, and never with money."

She sat back and listened, watching her opponent's replies. Eventually the final card was laid down, a Five of Arrows, leaving her with just a Seven to match to the Seven on the board. She hoped that would be enough to win, but wouldn't know until they were told to show their hands. She hadn't realized that she'd pursed her lips to the left corner of her mouth while thinking either.

Letixia Raigner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 31st, 2014, 1:05 am

When Letixia set down her cards and left, Xira was surprised. They had only a just started. He looked to Gustov who shrugged. "Must've had a bad hand. Kinda smart of her to cut her losses, she might have gotten much worse. "Alright, I am raising the stakes by 3 reds." Cut in Mel, the mouse faced man looked at Xira with a big yellow-tooth grin. Now that all the cards were on the table, from what Xira had gathered, this was were the real gambling and skill of gambling came in. Tristan was a stone, perfectly neutral in expression and did little talking. Gustov, the cheery man waved down the bartender to get a mug of ale. Whereas Mel had a triumphant, seedy look that grated on the courier. He looked back down at his cards and frowned.

He had the choice to put up that much or fold. He could put match and hope that the others had worse off hands, but it didn't look like he had any "combinations" as Mel kept repeating. He had a two of a kind, a Seven on the table and one in his hand... and that was about it. The courier didn't think that was very much so he looked up, smiled and politely informed them that he folded as well.

"It happens mate" Gustov smiled, "Are you going to stick around for the next round then?" Xira smiled and nodded, "Sounds like fun, maybe luck will favor me next time." The big man grinned and slapped him on the back good naturedly. "Thats the spirit! Ovek loves a good sport." He tossed in a set of chips into the pot and nodded to tristan. "Ovek?" Xira asked, "Who is that?" Tristan looked sharply up at the question and frowned, the only bit of emotion he had indicated since Xira sat down. He straightened himself, those misty blue eyes suddenly sharp with hidden intelligence. He spoke up in a gravelly, weathered voice, "Ovek is who presides over the cards and dice. He is the God of Luck and Gambling." He then settled back down into silence and tossed 3 chips into the pot before it came back to Mel.

"Anyone going to take it higher?" The man taunted, "Come one, who knows, you might wiiin." Gustov smirked, "Come off it, show us what you have." The mousey man grinned and showed his hand, a 4 of shields and 4 of swords. "Beat that!" Gustov quirked an eyebrow and showed his, a 5 of spears and a 6 of spears. Mel, naturally, groaned and ran his fingers through his greasy hair. "Oh comeon, I could have sworn I had you beat this time." Gustov looked pleased with himself and said, "Tristan hasn't showed his hand yet, maybe he beat both of us.

The old man nodded and tossed his cards out, a pair of twos. "So I win!" Gustov pulled the winnings into his pile. Mel looked rather unhappy but then flashed a smile, "I'll get you next time." Gustov chuckled good naturedly as replied, "Sure you will. Ovek appreciates your tender sacrifice." Gustov took the cards together and started shuffling, "So what'll it be, another go?"

It took a moment for the courier to reply. Despite having lost the first game, he had a lot of fun and these men were all too happy to include him in the game. He nodded, "I think I better get some more chips then." A quick moment later he had 10 blue chips, and 20 more red chips. "Alright, lets get started."

Everyone tossed in a chip to buy in and Gustov carefully dealt out the cards. Xira collected his and studied them intently. He had no idea if they were any good, but he also had a feeling that they only mattered with cards on the table. He had the Tree of Swords and the Tree of Shields. Well at least he had a pair of cards, it was a start.

Cards in Hand:
    Tree of Swords
    Tree of Shields

Cards on the table:

Xira's chips:
      10 blue chips
      22 red chips.
    Wager: 1 chip
    Pot: 4

Ledger -2 GM 4 SM

Note: Permission to continue on as a solo granted by Radiant

Words from me to you

Words from you to me
    Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Plotnotes
    Featured Contributor (1)

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 29th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Gustov looked the the courier pointedly until Xira realized that he was to begin the wagers. He flushed embarrassed which only made the big man clap him jovially on the back. "This one seeks to act out the game!" He claimed. Alright, so do you check, or raise a wager?" The courier immediately inquired on what that was. "That means you don't put any chips down, only happens if no one else has made a wager, otherwise you have to call the bet or make a higher wager." Gustov informed slowly, waiting for confirmation that Xira understood. Xira nodded and he said that he checked then. Mel then raised the wager by a red chip. This made the others have to call the bet.

Then Gustov laid out three cards on the hard worn table one right after the other, its surface itself was like a battlefield on high. A 10 of spears, an 8 of Swords and a 2 of Shields. Two of the four gamblers looked down at their cards. Gustov and the old man were completely unphased, though Xira, through chance, could not help but see the old man's lips upturn at the corner. But it was gone in a flash.

And so the betting started again. In truth, he could not think of any combinations that would be useful. Xira's first instinct was to fold. However the more the thought of it, the more he realized that he might have a chance after the rest of the cards are on the table. This would mean risking more, but... it would also mean that he had more to gain.

The courier felt eyes staring at him, waiting for him to make a move. They were judging, calculating, each action or inaction was cataloged and analyzed. This was a friendly game of cards, but these people knew how to gamble. Gustov with his disarmingly friendly demeanor, Tristan with his calm neutral expressions and Mel the know it all. He felt dwarfed by the scrutiny, but managed to toss in a red chip to start the wagering. This was followed by a round of red chips put into the pot and then another card.

A tree of Spears. His luck was that getting better this round.

Cards in Hand:
      Tree of Swords
      Tree of Shields

Cards on the table:
      10 of spears
      8 of Swords
      2 of Shields
      Tree of Spears

Xira's chips:
      10 blue chips
      21 red chips.
    Wager(s): 2 red chip
    Pot: 12 red chips

Words from me to you

Words from you to me
    Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Plotnotes
    Featured Contributor (1)

A Miza's Luck (Xira)

Postby Xira Hezmek on May 24th, 2014, 2:41 am

It was now to try to go on the offensive. The courier figured he could try bluffing against these veteran players. Perhaps he, being an obvious novice, could fool them. Probably not. Couldn't hurt to try. With a quick movement and an attempt to give his best neutral face he tossed a pair of red chips towards the pot before letting the next player toss theirs. Around the table they bet. All the while the courier did his best not to show a reaction. He watched each player closely as they bet. Mel, now chastised for his recent failure to win the pot seemed a bit reserved. He regarded his cards with a bit of a frown but still called Xira's bet. The mousey man constantly peered at Gustov who seemed oblivious to the looks, though Xira could have sworn that the jolly man gave Mel a shrewd look.

Tristan, unreadable as ever tossed his coins in. The courier could only imagine how many card games the old man played and how often he won. Certainly if Gustov wasn't there he would be the won with the largest winnings. He met Xira's gaze and Xira struggled to maintain his neutral facade. Tristan made him nervous and he could only imagine what the old man was learning from the courier's face. He blinked a couple times and Tristan looked away just in time for Gustov to call his bet. The large man gave Xira a smile that reached his eyes and pulled the last card from the deck.

A queen of shields.

It certainly did not help Xira's hand. In any case, the endgame was about to start.

Xira decided to play it smoothly and gave them a "check". Three sets of eyes swivled to Mel who immediately raised the stakes to 3 red chips. The man was getting triumphant again, perhaps emboldened by Xira's check. Tristan called the bet without comment but Gustov put in a blue chip instead. Tristan blinked and quietly got up and left. The older man called for a drink and was apparently done for the evening. Mel on the other hand visibly whitened but refused to give up. After Xira called the bet, slipping a blue chip into the pot, Mel raised the stakes to a blue and 5 red.

"I see through your bluff" Mel said, "You've been placing reds all afternoon, no chance of you having anything good. You just want to scare us off like you did to Tristan. Gustov shrugged and smiled, but said nothing. He called the bet and it was Xira's turn. The courier rubbed the coins together thoughtfully. Not much left to do but see who was going to win. He honestly couldn't tell who was going to win. Mel brought up a perfectly good point and the tactic made sense. But... Mel could be wrong too. Gustov was very good at the game, obviously so.

He tossed the coins in and it was time to show their cards.

Gustov had been bluffing. He had a pair of sixes. A six of Swords and a six of Spears. But Mel was only slightly better, he had an 8 of swords and an 8 of shields. Apparently, through luck, Xira had one. The whole table was silent a moment before both players started laughing. "Of course! Always watch the quiet ones my pa told me." Exclaimed Mel, "Of course you were the threat, should have seen it coming but this big lunk here distracted me. You know he has been taking my money all day?"

Gustov chuckled, "Yeah, this one kept yapping every time he lost. I figured I'd scare him out or make an easy Miza off of his foolishness. Shoulda thought it through more. You just looked so serious, perhaps I should have saw that and worried. Oh well" The big man patted Xira on the back. "Good job!"

The stress of the situation had been killing Xira, but the joy of winning was too much. The blue eyed man smiled broadly, proud of his luck. "I think I'm going to call it though, quit while you're ahead and all that. Maybe I'll come back and play some other time." The other two nodded, Gustov subdued and Mel looking like he was kicked. Xira felt bad, but this stroke of fortune felt like a perfect chance to not lose all his chips. If he stayed, Gustov would probably have one it all back and then some.

He quickly got the chips swapped out and left. All the while thinking about how much fun gambling was. It was often said to be a terrible vice, that thrill of chance and while it was fun, it did not seem so bad. But them, he wasn't the one that lost all his mizas in a game of chance.

Cards in Hand:
      Tree of Swords
      Tree of Shields

Cards on the table:
      10 of spears
      8 of Swords
      2 of Shields
      Tree of Spears
      Queen of Shields

Xira's chips:
      7 blue chips
      9 red chips.