Completed [The Flower Stand] Gone for Days

An apology is in order.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Flower Stand] Gone for Days

Postby Sigrun Dominic on March 9th, 2014, 1:51 pm

1st of Spring, 514 AV - Early morning.
The Nettle District.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. The feeling of knowing that your breath is stale and your tongue is dryly wetting lips that are only getting coarser by the bell. Sharp exhalations. Erratic movements. Nervous twitching.

Sigrun woke up from her shrunken apartment at the Traveler's Row, her beating heart making itself known to her. She could feel her blood brushing its warmth along the underside of her skin. She embraced herself. It was the first day of Spring.

After the night of the 31st of Winter she vowed she would find a way to leave, Syliras, and on the 32nd, she almost did. Now, on the morning of a new year, she sat still upon her rough-spun bedsheets, still living inside the citadel. Pathetic.

She watched the sunlight spill over her creased sheets and crumpled nightclothes, meekly, as it was clearly much brighter outside than it was inside. The floorboards from the ceiling creaked, it was likely the man who now currently stays at the room Sigrun had once stayed at. She had only left for two days when a rush of customers coming from all around came to check in, and she had to reduce herself to a much simpler apartment. Not that she cared.

She had spent the remainder of Winter mulling about in her apartment alone, staring at the sky and the snow in the face, disregarding the cold and its affect on her bones. She paid little attention to her shivers or her pangs of hunger, not until she began to feel herself falling ill.

A life of squalor, she repeatedly called it. Nobody knows how hard she tried a few nights ago to get out of bed and actually do something with herself. She had a bit of a bath with a sponge, soap, and water, had a bite to eat and little drink at a tavern, and even managed a simple stroll down the marketplace. She had almost bought a pot. It was a success story for her, at the very least.

Today demanded an even bigger success story, however, and it dragged Sigrun to her clean her boots and wear her better clothing. She needed a job if she wanted to leave Syliras, and if anything, she couldn't go back to Atta.

The young blonde blushed furiously in embarrassment as she rubbed away dried grass, dirt, and dust from her faithful leather shoes. She had left her job at the Flower Stand without even saying goodbye. Shame filled the pit of her stomach with an acid that she mistook for an emotion, rather than an empty belly in need of food.

She slipped on a dress and a corset and made her way to the door with nothing but her backpack of necessities and her pouch of Mizas. For the first time in a long time, she was leaving home without her sword. It was a trip to the stables, after all, and it would be horrible of her to scare the horses with a blade.

Sigrun glided down the cobblestone a little faster than she normally did. The few who knew her face saw the uncharacteristic determination in her step, when for the past few days she had been walking like a lethargic hospice patient. The young blonde noticed none of these glances, but at the same time, she met all of them with her own levelled gaze.

Nothing is wrong, she thought. I am on my way to see Julien.

Julien. If there were ever a physical manifestation for calm, it would be that Zavian. The horse was the right mix of zest and sweetness, and Sigrun fell in love with the young stallion quite quickly for it. A burst of fresh air for her otherwise insipid life, she'd describe. She found it a bit of a burden for both her and Serena over at the stables that she would keep him there, albeit she was paying for it. To have more of a purpose for visiting the area would be preferable.

Sigrun felt a pang hit her chest as her heart skipped a beat. She was about to pass The Flower Stand.

Shykes. She watched the other stalls for something to focus on. Pots, bottles of strange liquids, carpets, and random pieces of clothing. Nothing was worth staring at. She pushed herself to the other side of the heavy crowd, hoping to avoid being sighted altogether. A bit of a push here, a bit of a shove there--

"Sigrun!"

No other person could have owned that voice. The young woman halted in her footsteps, frozen in a moment that brought a chill to her spine. A man bumped her towards the owner of the voice, swearing afterwards and mumbling that she should watch where she was standing. Sigrun turned around and, instead of coming face to face with a concerned look or a frown, as she had expected, she was met with a warm smile.

"Oh, come here!"

She didn't have time to take it in. Atta Sabot wrapped her aged arms around the young blonde without a moment's hesitation. She was strong for her age, probably due to all the flower picking. Sigrun slowly brought her arms up to embrace her. A stinging sensation hit the sides of her eyes. Her face began to burn.

"How have you been? Where have you been? You've been gone for days!"

Atta let her go, but kept her hands on the woman's shoulders. Sigrun smiled weakly. It had been a lot more than just days.

"Around," she managed shyly. Her eyes began to dampen.

"Are you coming back for good, then?" Atta released her and swiftly went behind the stall, "I haven't got a soul working for me at the moment, I could use the help."

Atta chuckled. Sigrun raised an eyebrow at her and smirked, but could not bring herself to speak. Slowly, she made her way behind the stall, and struggled not to let the familiarity wring in her tears. Atta courteously avoided watching her eyes as she inspected a delivery list on the worktable. Most of the items had already been marked with a check. Sigrun grinned, watching the neatly written text on the smooth parchment. Atta's handwriting had always been so charming.

"I'm sorry."

"Well, you did always say that you may not stay," Atta quipped, turning away from her list to face the young woman.

"But I should've said something," Sigrun quickly responded with a bite of her lip. A tear escaped her left eye. Two more emerged from the right.

Atta maintained a happy smile as she left the worktable and came over to give the young blonde another hug. Sigrun cried quietly.

"I'm so sorry. I should've said something."

"It's alright, I understand," the old woman said patted the young woman's back, rubbing circles around her shoulder blades. Sigrun immediately felt calmer.

"I don't know what's wrong with me," the young woman complained, "it's like I'm fine one day, and then I'm not on the next!"

"I could be fine for days, for seasons, or just- not alright for seasons, I don' t know. What is going on with me. I don't know. I'm sorry I left, I don't know-"

"It's alright, really- hey, look at me-" Atta pulled away for a moment to look into the girl's eyes, "you'll be fine, alright?"

"But I don't-" the young blonde sniffled and rubbed her swelling eyelids, "I don't feel fine."

"You'll be fine!" Atta laughed, patting the girl on the back. She scoured through the front of the stall, picked up a long-stemmed red poppy, and handed it to her.

"Remember?" the old woman grinned. The creases on her forehead and cheeks had deepened slightly, and so had her crow's feet. Age was a terrifying truth. Sigrun watched her faded irises carefully. Of course she remembered.

The first time the young blonde had met Atta, she was at the edge of the stall tending to the flowers, speaking to a customer, simply doing what she had always done best. When she approached, the old woman's first offering was a little poppy flower, red and long-stemmed, like the one she now held in her hands once more.

Sigrun grinned.

"I gave that to you for a reason," Atta wagged a finger at her, "and that's because I knew you needed it. And you still do."

Sigrun looked at her leather-clad feet, embarrassed.

"You're not alone, Sigrun."

The young woman looked up to see Atta writing something in an old journal. The old woman fastened the clasp that held the worn thing together, and casually handed it to the blonde.

"Here," she said with a grin. Sigrun's eyes widened. She shook her head and gently pushed the book away. Atta shook it in front of her face.

"Do whatever you want with it!" she shoved it swiftly enough towards the blonde's torso that the latter instinctively took it with both hands, "it's an old blank book that I was supposed to use as a ledger, but you know how I like my parchment better."

"Throw it around, mess with the cover, tear off a couple pages, whatever you want. Just promise me-"

Atta went as far as possible from the girl, chuckling. Sigrun pouted.

"That you'll write in it."

"What for?" the young woman held the book tightly. She struggled a bit with the clasp on the front, but gave up before managing to pry it open.

"It'll help you recover, trust me," Atta began tending to the flowers in front of the stall, sprinkling waterer over the petals and the soil, "write everything you feel, everything you see that takes your interests. Just write."

Sigrun stared at the blank wooden cover. The journal had seemingly been made in a rush. The edges of the wooden planks that were bound to make the cover had many chips, scratches, and gashes, although the center of each piece was meticulously smoothened out to the best of the worker's ability. The dark leather that held the spine together was of decent quality, and although it held the journal together quite well, it had been cut rather poorly. Sigrun ran her hands along the velvety surface of the leather spin, and then across the leather strip attached to the metal clasps along the front. A black cloth ribbon, its slightly fraying ends tied to form a ribbon, sprouted from the middle of the mound of badly cut, dog-eared, and slightly damaged parchment paper within the journal. Every piece of paper seem to stick out like the jagged teeth of a predator.

But Sigrun immediately loved it. Because it was from Atta. Because it would help her.

"Thank you," she finally spoke after a good few moments of silence, looking up from the journal in her hands to watch Atta picking out a few colourful bunches of flowers.

"It was no problem at all, dear," Atta responded warmly as she approached the back of the stall, "I'd been meaning to give that too you since you came to work for me, anyway."

Sigrun beamed from ear to ear. Giddily, she fumbled once more with the journal's clasps, but stopped short and looked at Atta when she spoke once more.

"Would you give me a hand with this bouquet while you're here, then? Just one," the old woman smiled sweetly.

One smile, one smile, and Sigrun was immediately reminded of why she saw so much of her mother in Atta. She had so much of her warmth and optimism-- her zest for life.
Last edited by Sigrun Dominic on March 11th, 2014, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Common."
"Fratava."

Will be responding slowly at times due to the the demands of university.
Sigrun Dominic
Difficult to digest.

Words: 208302
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2013, 4:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sigrun Dominic on March 11th, 2014, 5:47 pm

"So? What have you been up to?"

Sigrun blushed. The small talk was aggravating due to her conscious inability to respond satisfactorily. She wanted to impress Atta with more than just a season full of sleeping in and shutting the world out. She wanted Atta to look at her and feel pride.

"Oh," she made a face, "nothing much."

"Really?"

"Really."

Sigrun inspected the range of flowers that Atta had picked from the front of the stall.

Bright yellow flowers the shape of bells that had been sliced in between, with vibrant golden spores sprouting out from its center. Its thick, long stems were a green so rich that Sigrun immediately imagined the shade on a piece of fine silk or cotton. By the amount of them on the table in comparison to the others, it was clear that these would be the center of it all.

The accent flowers were just as beautiful, though. Sigrun examined a purple one whose stems grew like trees and whose petals formed the shapes of miniature plums, and another that was shaped like a cob of corn where the kernels bloomed into cerulean flowers, its petals curving back elegantly.

The accent flower that stood out the most, however, were these milky pink flowers that bloomed in the shape of orchids. The lower regions of the flower was a yellow as rich as the skin of lemons that faded gently into the soothing pink of the long tips of each petal as it bent outwards, displaying slender stalks of furry orbs that made Sigrun's nose itch a little.

Sigrun picked up one of the yellow-pink flowers and examined it carefully. the blend of colours was not supposed to be new to her, but it felt like it. She held a petal with the tips of her thumb and forefinger, feeling the velvet, tracing the moment when the yellow was no longer yellow, and the pink was no longer pink.

"Alstroemeria," Atta said with a proud smile as she watched Sigrun from nearby, "long-lasting, and very expensive."

"Everything here looks very expensive," she laughed. Even the green foliage seemed especially picked out of the pricier bunch. She grinned at the selection, her eyes wide at the sight of all the flowers she had never seen before, with names so unheard of she could not even bring herself to pronounce them as comfortably as Atta did.

"That over there's a delphinium," Atta pointed on the blue cob of corn, "haven't I showed you that one before?"

Sigrun shook her head. Atta simply chuckled and referred to the stark yellow ones next, the ones that looked like sliced golden bells with soft centres.

"Callas, miniature ones-- also quite hard to come by," she rubbed the tips of her thumb and forefinger.

"Those purple ones?" she referred to the plums that grew on branch-like stems, "Statice. Very difficult to maintain."

"How come you're using all these rare or expensive ones?" Sigrun ran her fingers lightly across all the flowers, "how rich is this client!?"

"Rich enough," the old woman, "with love and affection."

"Sorry?"

"They're from a secret admirer," Atta singsonged, giving Sigrun a smirk, "for Serena over at the stables."

"Oh," Sigrun's smile faded slightly, "I was on my way there."

"What for?" Atta inquired casually as she brought out some red-dyed twine, "got a horse? Getting a horse?"

"Getting a job," Sigrun said softly.

"I see," Atta's expression remained calm and pleasant, as she laid the twine on the table.

"I want to be closer to Julien," she added swiftly, as she began to lay all the foliage down in front of her in an arching formation.

"He's my horse, I bought him," she said, staring at the worktable as she arranged the accent flowers over the foliage, "I was supposed to leave, but I didn't."

"I guess I couldn't," her voice lowered, "I can't yet."

"I don't know how leaving works."

"Leaving is different from moving on," Atta responded, as she drew closer and placed the Callas at the very core of the bouquet, just as Sigrun assumed.

"You can leave a place, a time, a moment, but eventually you may end up staying in it anyway. You can stay at a place, a time, or a moment, but be gone in it, all the same."

Sigrun raised her eyes to look at the old woman. Her words made her look even older. Atta's bony, wrinkled hands overtook Sigrun's arms to place in more accents. Sigrun watched them, and her stomach turned at the sight of the difference between her sinking pale skin and her taut, rosy flesh. It said volumes about where Atta had been where Sigrun had not. Yet.

"The trick is to ask yourself, why are you leaving?"

They had finally finished the bouquet in tandem with one another. The result was akin to a subject so beautiful that it seemed to beg to be immortalised into a painting. It had not been Sigrun's doing. It had been Atta's.

"If you are trying to leave a past behind, you'll never get it done on horseback."

Sigrun's hands started to tremble. Atta gently took the finished product from her and began to tie it together with the red twine.

"Recovery is in the change of mindset, not in the change of environment."

Now, Sigrun's whole body began to shake. Atta laid the bouquet on the table, brought out a little wooden bottle, and then set it next to the arrangement. She turned the young blonde around so that she could face her.

"Am I crazy to want to run away?" the young woman asked. The fragility in her voice echoed into the limpness of her body under the firm grip of the old woman.

"No, dear," Atta pulled her into a hug much tighter than the one before.

"You are crazy not to want to stay."

Sigrun's shivering stopped. She couldn't understand what Atta was trying to say at that precise moment, but she did her best to put it all together.

"There is so much more to a place than the bad memories it holds. There is also the good, the wonderful, the loveable. You have been so intent on seeing the sadness your home can bring when instead you could be thriving in the happiness."

Atta's dress shirt had suddenly met with salty, cold tears. Her words had finally registered into the young woman.

"And don't beat yourself up too much, girl! Everyone is crazy, and you're no exception!" Atta released her and playfully waggled a finger at her. Sigrun burst into laughter, tears still streaming down her flushed cheeks as she guffawed unabashedly.

"The difference is that some people have got it all figured out," she smirked, raising her eyebrows. Sigrun laughed some more, laughed without any inhibitions, laughed without care or concern; laughed freely.

"If you're gonna go out there, make sure you do it because you want to be one of those who have figured it out. Understood?"

"Understood," Sigrun grinned, suddenly filled with newfound inspiration.

She gave Atta another tight hug, whispering her thanks repeatedly into the old woman's ghostly white hair. Atta merely rubbed circles around her back and chuckled cheefully, her head nodding after every muffled 'thank you'. Sigrun let go of the old woman with a beaming smile lit upon her face.

"Here," Atta handed her the bouquet, then the journal and the poppy flower.

"Be my delivery girl one last time."

"Atta--" Sigrun's expression quickly sank.

"No, I know-" the old woman smiled sweetly, "I know."

She placed her hand on Sigrun's wrist as it reluctantly held the bouquet against her chest, her other hand busied by the journal and the long-stemmed poppy.

"Visit often, alright? Well, visit when you can. I'll give you some work to do, some flowers to arrange, or deliver."

"And when you can't visit, send me letters. Pigeons. Send me gifts! Take me to places without making me leave my little spot."

"I will," Sigrun swallowed loudly. More tears began to spout, but she held them in. Atta's smile, coupled by the determined, hopeful twinkle in her eyes, was far too encouraging.

"Use that journal well," Atta gently pushed her towards the road to the Windmount district, "I want to see it teeming when you get back."

"I will!" the young blonde's smile finally returned, and she responded with more enthusiasm. She started towards the stables, walking backwards as she watched Atta wave her off. With a nod of her head, she turned around and made for her destination.

And as for the newfound purpose she has found she must fulfil:

She will.
"Common."
"Fratava."

Will be responding slowly at times due to the the demands of university.
Sigrun Dominic
Difficult to digest.

Words: 208302
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2013, 4:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on March 16th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Sigrun :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +3 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Flower Arranging +1 XP
Botany +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Atta: A Mother-Figure
Flower: Alstroemeria
Flower: Delphinium
Flower: Callas
Flower: Statice
Lore of Self: Finding Purpose

Loots
+1 Journal

Notes :
What a beautiful thread, Sigrun! :D I hope she found her conviction in life. Enjoy your grades!.

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)