Solo Shattered

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Shattered

Postby Shiress on March 17th, 2014, 3:12 pm

5th Day of Spring 514

Despite her aching back, throbbing feet and tired legs, Shiress left The Stallion in a good mood. She would be off work the next day, and plans of relaxing, reading, and just plain unwinding awaited her, not to mention Shadow, her beloved, black feline companion. He was sure to benefit from the lazy day ahead.

Darkness had fallen deep within the fortified city when Shiress began her familiar journey home. A gentle, cool breeze wafted up through the street before her, catching the flame of the torches that lined her path, casting ghostly figures fleeing up walls and shadowy shapes dancing along the stoned pavement. The days had grown warm, of late, but the nights still fell with a bite of cold early in the Spring season.

Walking along, Shiress tugged at the confines of her hair, freeing the long, chestnut colored locks to flow freely down the length of her back, the ends swaying just below her bottom. She wore a full-length lavender shift, pulled snugly around her torso with an underbust, brown bodice, laced and tied beneath her breast and at her waist. It wasn't the bartender's normal garb for work, but since coming to the city, the once slave had filled out her once malnourished, bony form healthily, and her choice of clothes became increasingly limited. The male patron's didn't seem to mind her fuller figure, though, and Shiress wasn't about to complain.

Nearly to her destination, the girl pulled her bag around her shoulder and plunged her hand within and began rummaging around its contents. Finally and after some effort, she pulled out a brass key, such a pretty key for a tiny, scarcely furnished apartment, but it was home.

Lifting her eyes again, the sound of muffled cries and whispered encouragement filled the air. Shiress paused, looking from side to side, and turned to look behind, but saw nothing and the sound soon dissipated. Shrugging her shoulder's slightly, she continued on, her steps cautious as she rounded the corner for home.

Glancing up, she paused again, this time with a gasp. In the door way of Travelers Row, were two shadowy figures, one pulling on the other that lay slumped against the open door. Drunken friends, perhaps, but a dread filled Shiress, something wasn't right, something was very wrong. Within an instant and without thought, she sprung into action. Dropping her key back in her bag, She quickened her steps to the entrance.

The slumped figure was a woman, her face swollen and bloodied and her blouse, stained red and ripped, barely covered her body. Beside her, still pulling at the woman's arm, was a young girl. "What happened!" yelled Shiress, running up to the woman's side. The girl's body jerked, startled, as she lifted her face, her dark hair sticking to the tears streaming down red cheeks. "Don't hurt her!" she screeched, falling back against the frame of the door, brown eyes glaring hard at Shiress as she approached. "I'm not going to hurt her" she said, lifting her arms with reassurance, her tone soft "I want to help her."

Shiress knelt down beside the injured woman, extending her hand hesitantly, and brushed back the same dark colored hair from her face. The woman's eyes were closed and her breathing labored, but as Shiress' soft hand brushed against her, brown eyes flicked and opened with a rushed intake of air."It's OK, I'm going to help you."

Looking up, Shiress met the concerned gaze of the young girl. "Can you help me get her up?" she asked, positioning her hands behind a shoulder. "We need to get her to Soothing Water, to a healer. She is hurt badly."

"NO!" screamed the girl, shooting to her feet "You can't! She can't go there!" Startled, Shiress let go of the woman and straightened, frowning "Why?" she asked, confusion thick in her tone "They can help her there, they have healers" The girl's face twisted and drew in, tears streaming down her face. Shiress took a step toward her "What's wrong? Tell me!" The young brunette rubbed the tears from her eyes, huffing, doing her best to hold back the tears "He'll find her!" she said "Please, ma'am, you don't understand." "Then we can can find a knight that can-" "You can't!" interrupted the girl, sobbing again "He'll find out!" Shiress took a slow step toward the girl and drew herself down to a knee, placing her hand gently on the girls arm, green eyes studying her brown curiously "Who will hurt her? Who are you scared of?"

"My Daddy"

Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Shiress on March 18th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Shiress straightened, shocked and lost for words at the girl's confession. Glancing down at the woman, she pushed the hair from her face, struggling to process the words. How can someone be so cruel?

"She is your mother?" asked Shiress, gliding her hand down the girl's dark hair. The young brunette nodded before she spoke. "Yes, Ma'am"

The bartender stood silent a tick, glancing between mother and daughter, unsure of what to do, and with no real time to ask questions. Finally, making up her mind that there was only solution, Shiress pulled her long hair around her shoulder, twisted it, and then slung it back across and leaned down, grasping the woman's shoulder "Come on" she whispered, pulling her up "Let's get you inside."

The young girl ran to her mother's side and pulled at the other shoulder, and with some effort, the woman stood, moaning and semi-conscious. Luckily for the both of them, she had a small, petite frame and was easy to lift, despite the fact that she was in no condition to aid in the efforts.

Shiress pulled the woman's limp arm around her shoulder, holding it there with one hand as the other wrapped around her waist. She felt like a child in the bartender's arms, tiny and fragile. Helpless. The woman tried feebly to take a step, but cried out and slumped further into Shiress' arms. Tightening her grip, Shiress took an unsteady step, paused for a breath of determination, and then took another, and another, until bartender, mother and daughter came through the doorway and were making their way slowly, albeit awkwardly, through the corridor.

"Come get my key." she said breathless, nodding her head over her shoulder. "It's in the bag." The little girl left her mother's side, and soon after, Shiress could feel the gentle tug of small hands rummaging through the bag. "Is this your place?" asked the girl, stepping around with key in hand. "Yes" Shiress motioned with a finger for the girl to unlock the door. "You should be safe here."

God's, I hope we are ALL safe here

Shiress' concern grew as the injured woman made no sound when both, her and Shiress, fell into the bed. "Give me all the candles you see" ordered Shiress, pulling herself from beneath the now limp body, her tone probably a bit more stern than she had intended.

The sound of wood scrubbing across the stone floor filled the quiet of the small apartment as Shiress hastily pulled chairs away from the table and placed them around the bed, lighting candles and table lamps on each as they were handed to her. At length, the apartment was alight with a brilliance never known by the tiny space. And, in the center of it all, lay a small framed body, slumped and bloodied, across the bed.

Shiress blew fallen hair from her face as green eyes locked in an unsure gaze toward the bed. Standing there, she wondered if she was making the right choice. She wondered if she knew what she was doing, and how she was going to do it if she knew. How would she feel if the woman died? Would the young girl blame her? Would she blame herself? When the little girl slid in beside her mother and, with tears streaming from her eyes, began wiping the blood from her face with the hem of her skirt, Shiress knew she had to try.

With tears forming in her own eyes, Shiress lifted her face skyward and prayed.

Rak'keli, stand beside me to guide my hands, whisper in my ear to give me wisdom.
Sylir, please, keep this young girl and her mother safe.

Swiping her fingertips beneath her eyes, Shiress leveled her gaze and blew out a long, held breath between her lips. "What is your name, sweet heart?" she asked the girl, stepping up to the bed. "Ashlyn" the girl replied, sniffing. Shiress smiled warmly "Good to meet you Ashlyn. My name is Shiress. What is your mom's name?" Ashlyn's brown eyes turned to gaze thoughtfully at her mother, lingering there a tick, before she spoke. "Lorien" she replied "But everyone calls her Lori." The girl's gaze never broke from her mother as she spoke to Shiress.

Lowering herself to sit on the bed, Shiress gently pulled the girl's chin around, making her look at her. "I'm going to help your Mom, OK? But I'm going to need you to help me too. Ashlyn blinked and sniffed "Alright." Shiress bobbed her head with a smile "OK then." she motioned her hand toward the hearth "Can you get a fire going and then put some water over it and get it hot?" Nodding, the young brunette scooted herself from the bed.

"Lori?" Shiress called, pulling away matted, dark strands from the woman's face "Can you open your eyes?" The woman didn't move. Lowering her hand, Shiress pressed her knuckles hard into Lori's chest, grinding and rubbing deep against the breastbone as she called her name again, this time louder and telling, not asking, her to open her eyes. This was something the girl watched her mother do so many times and came to learn that a conscious patient would rile against the harsh pain, and obey a stern voice, but a fully unconscious patient would never stir. Lori stirred, bowing her body toward the pain in her chest. Relief rushed into every inch of Shiress' body; Lori was still conscious and responding to stimuli.

For now..

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Shiress on March 21st, 2014, 6:04 pm

Shiress dipped a cloth into a basin of warm water and carefully cleaned the dried blood and dirt from the woman's swollen face. She was uncertain of what to do first, or even where to start doing it and every time she touched the poor woman Shiress felt awkward, as if she were invading the woman's personal space or meddling in her personal affairs. It took much effort to push back these feelings, but she managed, and the overwhelming sense of responsibility for this woman, and the deep desire to see her through this, to help her through this, formed and the feeling began to take hold of her heart, not just her will.

Dropping the cloth back into the basin, Shiress stood, watching the clear water gradually turn a dirty crimson as blood seeped from the soiled cloth. How can someone hurt the one's they are supposed to love? How can a man beat his wife and then leave her to be cared for by their child? It didn't make sense to Shiress and she struggled to wrap her brain around the answers. Love was supposed to protect, not hurt.

Glancing up to Ashlyn as she sat by the fire, Shiress wondered how many times this poor girl had witnessed her mother being beaten by the hands of her father. What does seeing such atrocities instill in a young, influential heart? Did he beat her, also? She wondered what difficulty all this would one day bring to Ashlyn. The thought made Shiress' stomach churn and she turned away, breathing through the wave of nausea.

Reaching down, Shiress hiked up the hem of her dress and removed the dagger from the scabbard wrapped around her thigh and, carefully, began to cut away the remnants of the woman's clothing, and little by little, as the fabric disappeared, a tapestry of abuse emerged. Shiress tossed away the ripped blouse and pulled a table lamp from a near by chair. Lamp light washed across the woman's bare form and the look adorning Shiress' face quickly shifted from concern to unadulterated horror.

No! Oh gods, please, no!

The color drained from Shiress' face as yet another wave of sick sunk into her gut. Her knees buckled and she slumped down beside Lori. Lifting her hand, Shiress gently trailed her fingertips along the thick, red welts that striped the woman's chest and stomach. "Whip marks" she whispered, pulling her hand away. The girl sat, seemingly dazed, staring down at the woman's wounds, her face blank of expression. She hadn't expected to see such familiar marks. She didn't really know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't this.

A deep red blotch drew Shiress' eyes. It was a large and swollen bruise, about the size of the palm of her hand, just below Lori's left breast. She swiped her finger across the surface of the bruise, then pressed into it. The skin indented and crackled, like parchment paper, beneath her fingertip, Lori moaned and turned her head. Moving the pressure away and down the woman's side, Shiress heard and felt the same. She pressed against Lori's breast and above it and below the armpit. The entire left side of Lori's chest popped and cracked with applied pressure, but not the right. Concern grew in the girl's face. She had no idea of what this meant, but she knew it couldn't be good.

Shiress cleaned each of the cuts and scratches that she discovered carefully with the warm soapy water at hand and gave Lori several spoonfuls of clean, cool water to drink, then pulled a warm blanket across her body. Standing, she paused to study the motionless body once more before stepping away from the bed, her heart pounding and thoughts jumbled, as seed of doubt and panic began to sprout within her.

Why this? Why her? Glancing frantically around the room, she spotted the exhausted, young brunette, her eyes closed as she now dozed near the fire, her head leaning back against the stoned wall. Shiress frowned and stepped toward the girl and wrapped her arms around her "Ashlyn?" The young girl stirred, looking up sleepily "You'll be safe here tonight" Shiress reassured her, a soft smile on her lips "Come, it's late, crawl in bed with your mom. I'm sure she'd love to feel you beside her" Ashlyn stood, wobbling, and curled up beneath the covers beside Lori and soon was asleep again.

Shiress snuffed out several candles, then pulled a blanket from the foot of the bed, tossed a pillow down on the floor by the fireplace, and settled herself down, glancing up to make sure she could see Lori. She wouldn't sleep, but at least she was comfortable. Her emerald gaze locked against the wall before her, searching the lines between the stones for answers.

A slave in the fortified city?

The thought riled her, but not near as much as the thought of that poor woman being beaten and whipped riled her. Shiress could have blown through the stoned wall in front of her, at that very moment, if she only knew the man that whipped Lori was standing on the other side.

With that thought, she sighed and pulled the dagger from it's scabbard again and laid it beside her.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Shiress on March 26th, 2014, 7:16 pm

6th Day of Spring 514
Early Morning

"Shiress?"

The sound of Ashlyn's soft voice warranted an overreacted jerk from Shiress "What?" she blurted out, startled awake from an unintentional doze, scrambling sleepily to her feet. "You OK? What's wrong?" The young brunette bobbed her head "I'm OK" she answered, her eyes half open "my legs hurt and my back, too." Shiress stretched, smiling, and messed the girl's hair "Yeah, I'm due for another bed, it's like sleeping on stone, to be sure" she winked "I'll get you some water, then, and maybe that'll make you feel better" Ashlyn sat on the edge of the bed, her dark eyes watching as Shiress began fidgeting about the tiny space.

"Here you go" Shiress said, stepping up and offering forward a cup of cool water. As Ashlyn accepted the cup, concern washed over the bartender's face. The girl's hands were trembling, her face pale. Frowning, Shiress lowered herself down next her. "Are you scared? Your hands are shaking." she asked, her tone soft as fingers pushed away long strands of hair from the girl's downcast face. "I'm just cold. Ashlyn replied, glancing up. "That's what my Mom told my Dad yesterday, too, but he still hit her." Shiress slid her arm around the girl's small shoulders protectively, and drew her close "I wont hit you or your Mom, I promise" Drawing down her brow, Shiress lifted a hand to the girl's forehead. "You're hot!" She shifted herself around quickly to face Ashlyn, cupping the girl's cheek's in her hands. "Baby, you are burning up with fever!" she stood, lifting the girl's face to look at her. Ashlyn's eyes were a glossy red.

Shiress leaned over and pulled the blanket from the floor and wrapped it around her. "Your Mom, is she sick? she asked, glancing up to where Lori lay. Ashlyn shook her head "She didn't cook my Dad''s dinner and the floor was dirty and that made him mad and then he-" Shiress lifted her hand, quieting the explanation. She could figure out what had happened before the girl even spoke the words. There was no need for Ashlyn to have to recall it.

Reluctantly, Shiress walked the length of the bed and stood beside Lori and rested her hand against her forehead, cupped her cheeks, then finally pressed her hand against the woman's chest and drew in a knowing breath, glancing away, unsettled. Lori was even warmer than Ashlyn, and Shiress thought Ashlyn to be burning up. "How did I not notice this last night?" she wondered, quietly.

"I have to go get a healer!" she announced abruptly, turning toward the girl "Your Mom is sick and, on top of it all, she's hurt. Now you're sick, also. I have to!" It's contagious. Maybe he's caught it.. Ashlyn shot to her feet, slinging the blanket to the floor, and rounded the bed "You can't!" she protested "He'll know!" Shiress shook her head "How? How could he know?" What little color was left drained out of Ashlyn's face, her eyes fluttered and she slumped. Shiress lunged forward and caught her as her knees met the floor. "Because he works there" she mumbled, her voice weak. "What day's? What time does he get home?" she asked softly, pulling the girl into her arms. It was an effort for the young brunette to speak and her answer came as a whimper "19" Shiress stood with the sick little bundle in her arms and placed her in the bed beside her mother. She took 19 as meaning the 19th bell, though, she couldn't be sure, and she didn't get the answer to what day's the man worked, but she didn't inquire further.

A seed of doubt and worry sprouted deep in her gut as green eyes shifted between mother and daughter, both sick with fever, and one hurt. Badly. She tried to think of someone that she could go to, someone that could help her. Her first thought was Hadyn, but with a contagious fever, and the baby. No. That was out of the question. She thought of Orion, the doctor turned squire and shook her head. Even if she did find him, he wouldn't help her. He wouldn't even listen to her, and probably wouldn't even give her the time of day to speak, or even approach him. He'd walk out the back door as soon as he saw her enter the front. Jerk.

Shiress stooped over the surface of the table, mentally drained and physically exhausted, holding her head in her hands.

I can wait until tonight. she thought, searching herself for answers I could wait until the 19th bell, go to Soothing Water and see if I see the man there. A deep growl formed in her throat as she straightened, irritated. I don't know what the oaf looks like! Petch! She ran her long, slim finger's through her hair, sighing, and shifted her weight to a hip. If only I could go to the knight's. They could protect them until they arrested the man, and then I could get a healer. She twisted around, glancing toward the bed, wishing Ashlyn could have told her why the Knights couldn't be trusted. Why the thought scared her. Would word get back to her father before help came to Lori?

Shiress stepped away from the table, staggering. No sleep and a tired body had left her unsteady, and, albeit, haggard. Clumsy hands fumbled with the water pitcher, sloshing more water over the edge of the rim of the basin than stayed inside it. She then pulled a big pile of cloth rag's from a cabinet, dropped them in the basin and tipped the pitcher over, emptying the rest of the cool water over the rags. Dragging the basin off the counter, Shiress made her way back to the bed. The sick bed, as it would be.

The bartender diligently tucked the wet, cool cloth's against Lori, one on her head, one under each arm, along her side, between her thigh's and down the length of each leg. As Shiress poured fresh, cool water over the cloth's surrounding Lori, she wished she would have had the mind to have made a pallet on the floor for her fevered guest, instead of drenching her bed, but as it was, she was too tired to care, and mother and daughter were to sick for her to be worried about a wet bed.

Shiress repeated the same for Ashlyn, though, she didn't undress the young girl. Instead, she tucked the cloth's inside her little cotton dress, having decided that the dress could serve as a giant cloth, as well. After pulling a thick blanket over the pair, Shiress walked to the apartment door and pulled it open. Leaning through the door frame, she glanced up and down the long corridor, finally spotting an older, silver headed woman, her face split by a dark growth, or scar, Shiress couldn't see the mark clear enough to distinguish which it was, and she wasn't about to have a conversation with the woman to find out "Ma'am" she called, her voice cracking. She cleared her throat "Ma'am, can you tell me what bell it is? The elderly lady glanced up, a toothless smile spreading her lips "Well, I'd say just before the 7th, M'Lady" Shiress smiled her thanks and shut the door, pressed her back against it's wooden surface, and slid to the floor, green eyes glaring thoughtfully at the bed.

Waiting. Worrying.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Shiress on April 19th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Shiress paced the length of her apartment floor, her arms crossed over her chest, her face twisting and straightening in thought, with an occasional, thoughtful glance cast in the direction of the bed. She wondered if Lori was more sick than injured, or, if she more injured than sick. She wondered if Ashlyn would soon weaken and grow unresponsive, too. She wondered what she should do, wondered what she shouldn't do, and wondered if she should do what she shouldn't do. There were two things the girl did know, however, and those were that she couldn't think straight at the present time and that her head felt like it was about to split right down the middle.

Stopping at the counter, she pulled a wash basin toward her and filled it with water, plunged in her hands, and splashed her face, once, twice. On the third time, her hands paused over her eyes, and, with a long, weary sigh, she searched her thoughts for answers again.

I could just say it was Hadyn that was sick, or maybe just a friend. What could that hurt? shifting her weight, she lowered her hands to the top of the counter, eyes still closed. The healer would understand the problem once here and saw them. Maybe they would know -

Her pondering was interrupted by a low, muffled cough, followed by a much louder groan. She turned her head to see Lori stirring beneath the blanket. Shiress pushed herself from the counter and hurried to the bed, pulling a pitcher of water and a clean cloth with her. "It's alright, Lori" she said, her tone soft and reassuring, as she lowered herself down beside the woman. She dipped the cloth in the water and turned fully to face Lori, her fingers pulling the blanket away from the woman's off-turned face. As the cloth touched her forehead, Lori stirred again, uncomfortable and irritated at the touch of the cool compress, and moaned softly. Shiress tilted her head, frowning "You're going to..." she began, but, as Lori turned her face, her words dropped off with a soft gasp, as green eyes widened and locked with a hard, shocked stare at the thin trail of blood seeping from the corner of Lori's mouth.

"Oh no.." breathed Shiress, lifting herself slowly from the bedside, tears filling her eyes. "Gods, what do I do" she whispered. But, just as the words had left her lips, for once, Shiress knew exactly what she had to do. Slinging her bag across her shoulder, Shiress hurried for the door of her apartment, pulled it open, and, with a worried glance over her shoulder, she pulled it closed behind her, and twisted a key into the lock. Turning on her heel, she dashed down the corridor and out onto the street, eyes searching the path before her to Soothing Waters.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Shiress on May 13th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Shiress rushed through the streets, her pace constantly switching between a fast walk and a jog, her long hair swinging forcefully from one shoulder to the other, as she dodged and weaved her way through the morning commute. It seemed the closer to the healer's she got, the more frantic she became.

Coming to an abrupt stop outside Soothing Waters, Shiress wrenched open the entrance door with such a velocity that out barreled a silver haired form through the doorway, her long, skeletal fingers still clenching her side of the door handle. What in the name of Rhysol!.." spat the elder, her beady, clouded eyes sliding up in a fury "who do you thin..." Both, the elderly lady and Shiress, had a moment of shocked silence as familiar gazes met. The woman's face shifted to what seemed like fear, as Shiress' scrunched up with a double take of possible recognition.

It was the same old, silver headed woman that she had spoken to earlier in the day, just outside her apartment. Shiress was sure of it.

"I'm" Shiress breathed, her chest heaving up and down, still struggling to catch her breath, "sorry" The old lady stared blankly, speechless, at the girl in the doorway, her lips apart and quivering as if she wanted to say something. Shiress swallowed and tried to speak again, but the lady had turned on her heel and was now marching away with a hasty glance thrown back over her shoulder before disappearing into a wave of people. Shiress was left holding the door ajar with a confused frown, but with no time for dawdling, she turned and swept into the establishment.

Thankfully the room was near empty of patron's. A young auburn lady, battling to subdue a toddler of like colored hair, occupied the chairs to her left, and to her right a tall, thick bodied man held a crimson stained, white cloth around his hand, as he stood behind the entrance door. Shiress breezed passed the waiting without a second look and tore up to the counter, the skirt of her dress and long locks catching up to her moments later. "Ma'am, hello, Ma'am" she called. A dark headed woman turned to observe the irrational, impatient Shiress, her black eyes gliding up and down her form before she spoke "Yes, can I help you?" Shiress pushed hair from her face and licked her lips "I have a friend and her child who are very sick, and my friend, she..fell too, and I think she is injured. They can't come here and I need a healer to go to them." She paused swaying where she stood, glaring helplessly at the attendant. "Here" the woman said, pushing a paper across the worn counter top "fill this out and have a seat and someone will be with you in a chime" Shiress slapped her hand across the paper and leaned in "You don't understand" she insisted, her tone low and annoyed "they are very, very sick. I have to get back to them, please!" After a moment of silence the woman's expression softened and she plucked a pencil from somewhere unseen beneath the bar and handed it to Shiress "Write your information here and I'll see someone out to call on your friends"

With her hand trembling, the girl done her best to scribble out: Travelers Row, apartment 19, please hurry. As she wrote, another, younger, blonde woman approached and spoke in a low tone to the attendant, but just loud enough for Shiress to overhear as she jotted along the paper. "Akon is gone again" she whispered. The brunette slammed her hand against the bar with such a force that Shiress jumped backwards, startled, and looked up to see the woman's face twist with anger "That's bullshyke!" she protested "Who does he think he is! Where did he go?" The blonde bearer of bad news shook her head disgustedly. "I don't know" answered the blonde "Some old woman came in and spoke to him and he got all mad and told me he found his bitch and had to leave" The worker looked confused "I didn't know he had a dog. Well, when he comes back.." Shiress cleared her throat and held the paper out. "Okay, Ma'am, I'll get someone out there as soon as may be."

Shiress smiled politely with a nod of her head and turned to leave. "Did you notice that old woman's face that talked to Akon? the blonde asked, chuckling. It took two steps before the heat rose in the girl's face and shot through her body like a wave of lava. With a gasp she jerked around "Akon..does he..does he have a wife?" she asked, her voice shaking. The brunette nodded suspiciously. "Her name Lori?" Again, the brunette nodded. It was all Shiress could do to remain upright on her feet as the realization set in. Plunging her hand in her bag she withdrew 2 gold coins and slapped them against the counter "Bring the knight's! Now!" Shiress' voice carried through the small waiting area and every eye upturned to her. Without another word, she turned for the exit and flew out onto the street.

Behind her the blonde and brunette exchanged a look of bewilderment before parting ways. The brunette, snatching up the parchment, hurried off in search of a knight and the blonde turned to fetch a healer, both dragging a gold coin from the counter before departing.

Shiress ran as fast as she could back to her apartment, not knowing what was awaiting. Her only hope is that she would get there first and be able to barricade the door. Stopping just outside Travelers Row, she lowered her hand to retrieve the dagger from her leg, but it wasn't there. "I left it on the floor! Oh no!" That realization sat sick in the pit of her stomach. Looking around, she frantically searched the earth around her for something - anything she could defend herself with until she made it to the safety of her apartment. Grabbing a large rock, she flung herself through the entrance and down the corridor.

Just ahead of her was her door. She stopped, looking terrified, dread creeping into every inch of her being. It was open. Not thinking as a proper, rested individual, Shiress raced down the corridor and dashed into the tiny room. Lori and Ashlyn remained where they were, asleep and peaceful in the bed. The girl let out a thankful breath and turned to close the door. As she turned, a figure moved behind her and a blur slashed through the air before her face, and then nothing..

A blow to the head drove in quiet darkness and her limp body thudded against the apartment floor.

Ledger-2 Gold Miza's

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Shiress on June 29th, 2014, 3:03 am

Even as the girl's body met with stone floor she began to stir. Pulling her arm from beneath her body she placed a hand to her head, covering the ache where a back-handed assault had left her dazed, but yet, little to the intruder's awareness, conscious. The man had moved away from where Shiress was and stepped around the bed, and now stood over Lori, glaring down at her with disgust. Shiress studied the man as she lay motionless and quiet.

Akon Ryan stood well over 6 feet tall and all though his frame wasn't of great mass, he was an easy 200 pounds of bone and muscle. His short dark hair, black eyes, and thin beard might be found handsome to some, when not reeking of violence.

"Get up, you useless woman, get up!" He yelled, yanking the blanket from the bed. "I said" reaching down, he wrapped his thick fingers around Lori's slender neck and hauled her merciless from the bed "get-up! Where's Ashlyn?" For the first time, Shiress heard Lori speak, her voice was frail and weak. "Akon, please, no more.." she begged, her eyes struggling to open. The man rolled his head with a groan. "Shut up!" He spat, jerking her toward him, his lips stretching taut over clenched teeth as he hissed in her face "You think you can actually hide from me, you stupid bitch? You think you can hide my daughter from me?" his top lip peeled back repulsively, as if he smelled something vile on the woman "You're wrong!" he said, shoving Lori away. Her body slammed against the wall behind her and she slumped helplessly to the floor.

Shiress slowly turned her head around and raised herself to her elbows. She couldn't see Lori, but she could see the man standing on the opposite side of the bed, his back turned toward her. Glancing around the room Shiress began to pull herself along the floor, eyes locking with determination on a wrought iron poker propped beside the hearth. Slowly, she straightened to her feet and wrapped her fingers around the weapon and slowly crept forward.

Shiress moved behind Akon and, with a step, swung the weapon hard at the man's head, but, something alerted the man to her intention. Akon's dark eyes snapped sidelong toward her as his arm shot up, catching the poker a mere inch from his head. He snarled, tearing the weapon from her grasp with one hand as the other met with her face again.

Shiress slammed against the wall beside Lori and lowered herself down, noting from the corner of her eye, that beside Lori lay the other would be weapon; The rock that she had cradled in her hand as she entered her apartment. It had been knocked away with the blow and had slid across the floor. The girl stared at it, cursing it for being out of reach.

Standing ominously over the two female's, Akon's body pivoted anxiously from leg to leg, his wild, black eyes darting between wife and stranger. Shiress remained silent, watching him, not daring to move, her long learned 'slave girl' wits taking hold: Wait- Watch- Listen- and above all-- Remain silent!

Suddenly, the man flung his shoulders around and glanced around the tiny apartment, his fingers running nervously though his hair. "Where's Ashlyn?" he demanded, his eyes returning to Shiress. Lifting the poker he pushed its sharp edge against the girl's chest. "I asked a question. Where-is-Ashlyn?" he demanded again, his voice coming as a muffled growl, eyes narrowing menacingly. Shiress drew in a shaky breath and moved her eyes quickly around the room. Ashlyn was gone. Lifting her eyes, Shiress shook her head hesitantly, saying nothing, feigning the ignorance of his words with a silent faith that the girl was some where safe.

Akon, looking displeased and impatient, stepped toward his wife and knelt down before her. With a snarl, he wrapped his fingers around her dark hair and yanked, forcing her to look at him "Where is she!" he growled. Lori only groaned. Akon slammed her head against the wall. Shiress covered a frightened gasp as the woman's eyes filled with tears.

The man straightened and slung the iron poker on the bed beside him and reached around to his back and pulled a long, black handle from beneath his shirt and, with a snap of his wrist, several leather tails descended. Shiress' eyes widened in horror at the familiar sight. "You will tell me where my daughter is, you fucking, pathetic female!" he pledged, drawing back the whip. "No!" Shiress screeched, her hand raising in defense "Don't! Please!

The man's face twisted with both pleasure and malice.

Snap

Shiress' breath froze in her chest as Lori thrashed and squealed in pain. Akon drew back the whip a second time, but Shiress hurled herself sideways, covering Lori's cowering body with her own. "No more, Lori, I promise." she whispered, her eyes closing with knowing dread.

The stroke fell.

Snap

Long had it been since Shiress had felt the stinging lick of a whip's tail.

The whip cracked and slashed across the tender flesh of her back. Her head fell back with a wail of pain, as tears flooded her emerald eyes. Still, she tucked Lori's trembling body tighter against hers, shielding her from the onslaught of the leather beast. Again, the whip licked merciless across her back and shoulders, its recoil ripping clumps of long, chestnut hair from her head. The man was yelling something, screaming at Shiress for answers, but Shiress only heard pain. Tasted pain. She could see nothing, but the red glaze of pain passing before her eyes. There was nothing but agony as the scourge tore at her skin, over and over.

Shiress shuddered and fell forward against Lori, the edges of her consciousness clouding with darkness. Tilting her head slightly, she peered through the long, chestnut strands of hair curtaining her eyes, to the raised hand and the black, leather snake it held. She waited for the downward thrust and it came swiftly. Raising her left arm, Shiress met the stroke as it fell, and with her right, she found the rock. Slim fingers wrapped tightly around the cat's tail. As the man's stroke withdrew, Shiress used his own upward momentum to lift herself from the floor. Pulling hard against the whip, she twisted her body around and the rock cracked against the side of Akon's head, sending him stumbling backwards. In this same motion, Shiress grabbed the iron from the bed and, with one hand meeting the other on the cold metal, she thrust the iron around and it found it's target. Akon fell to the floor and never moved again.

Swiping blood from the corner of her mouth, Shiress slid her eyes around to the motionless mass on the floor. A sleeping malice began to slowly awaken with in her. A beast began to stir. Dropping the iron, Shiress stepped across the floor to where her blade lay, picked it up, and turned back, her demeanor as one being unnaturally calm or bewitched, her eyes void and narrowed.

She approached the unconscious man with a wickedness alien to her own knowing and, like a huntress mounting her prey, she straddled him, grinning, her motion saturated with seduction, as she settled her weight between his hips. Shiress leaned her body forward and positioned the glinting blade against Akon's neck but, as she pushed its sharp edge against his flesh, a sound echoed down the long corridor and into her apartment. Metal tapping and banging against metal, a herd of booted footsteps shuffling along a stoned floor. The Knights of Syliras had come.

Shiress slid her dagger into it's sheath and herself from Akon's body. Leaning against the wall, she pulled Lori close to her.

"No more" she whispered.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Shattered

Postby Nightmare on July 9th, 2014, 10:22 am

Shiress :
Skills Amount
Land Navigation +2
Observation +5
Interrogation +3
Leadership +2
Medicine +5
Philosophy +1
Planning +1
Negotiation +1
Running +1
Endurance +2
Brawling +1
Stealth +1
Weapon: Dagger +1

Lore
Ashlyn: Daughter of Loren
Loren: Abused, wounded woman
Akon: Loren's aggressor and husband
Medicine: Diagnostic usage of pain for the unconcious

Loot
-2 GM

Consequences:
The knights have arrived and will investigate the events at hand. Akon will be met with justice, either death or hard labor. Lori and Ashyln will have a healer tend to their wounds. That healer will be available to Shiress and heal her wounds from this encounter at the expense of the knighthood for this good deed.

Additional Comments:Welp! You certainly drew me into this story. :) A very enjoyable read. This is a good example of a solo with a variety of actions that will net one a hefty amount of skills. I hope to see more threads out of you soon!

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)