Completed Arms Up! (Training)

Pulren trains with a shield.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Arms Up! (Training)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 10th, 2014, 5:24 am

Image5th of Spring, 514 AV

With light entering the yard of the Wave Guard headquarters, Pulren had jogged from Pal's cottage until he arrived. He was sweating a good bit, as land did not offer the freedom of movement that the water had. Once at the yard, he found a sergeant and three other recruits already milling about. He had thought that he would be the first, but until he was living at the barracks full time, there wouldn't be much hope of that. The Sergeant, a large bearded man, nodded and pointed at Pulren. "What's your name, Recruit?"

Pulren hustled up into the group. "Pulren Marsh, Sir." The Sergeant nodded approvingly. "Good. We were one short for pairs, Marsh. You'll be with Gerlo here." He pointed to a a larger man than Pulren. Definitely older and more muscled, Pulren felt a little intimidated. Gerlo, whose face was equally intimidating, being pushed in with a born scowl, seemed to pick up on this and started to laugh heartily. The two of them moved to a corner as the other pair moved to another corner.

The Sergeant pointed at some battered wooden shields in each corner and various wooden swords , axes and spears. "Choose your practice weapon and grab a shield, guys. I want you to wield the weapon of choice in your dominant hand and strap the shield on the other one." Pulren picked up one of the shields, surprised at its weight. Gerlo had no problem with round hunk of wood, gingerly clasping it on as if it were jewelry before choosing a medium sized sword. Pulren took a spear up, as it was the closest thing he could find to a trident.

Once everyone was armed, the sergeant nodded and crossed his arms. "Now, before sparring, I want to cover some basics. No head shots, no crotch shots. Blows should be light or as light as you want them. When I say, 'Arms Up!', I want to see your shield up and ready and your weapon at the ready. When I say, 'Arms Down!', I want you to drop your weapon and shield and step away for instruction. Everyone got it?" Everyone nodded and said "Yes, Sergeant!" or "Yes, Sir!". With the rules down, all that was left was the first command.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on June 29th, 2014, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Arms Up! (Training)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 13th, 2014, 3:04 am

"Arms Up!"

Gerlo seemed entirely too happy to raise his shield and sword. Pulren raised his own shield to wear the top of it covered his chin. His spear was at a horizontal angle, held at hip level and slightly pointing downward. A squint of eyebrows and an exhalation of breath told Marsh that Gerlo was attacking. That and the force of his sword as it pushed the shield down hard into Pulren's shoulder. It forced the smaller man back a step as well, though Gerlo kept advancing. "Push back into it, Marsh!", he could hear the Sergeant commanding.

With the next swing, Pulren did as he was ordered, pushing the shield into the force of the blow. This made more of a stalemate as the forces matched each other, though Gerlo quickly turned the sword laterally, swinging it at Pulren's side. Instinct made him swing the shield out to his side and smack the sword away, the opening pushing his right hand and the spear toward Gerlo's chest. Any feeling of exhilaration was short lived as the larger man raised his shield to block.

Think, Pulren.

The next swing came from overhead and Pulren merely jumped back. Gerlo almost fell, his shield dropping as he tried to regain his balance. Seeing the opening, Pulren pushed the spear into the big man's ribs, a wince satisfying the recruit.

"Arms Down!"
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on May 28th, 2014, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Arms Up! (Training)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 23rd, 2014, 9:49 am

As the Sergeant called out, Pulren lowered his spear and shield, the other pair doing the same. he could hear great Gerlo grunting as he rose and he offered the man a hand, but his sparring partner only shook his head and brought himself upright. Marsh's hand retracted, never to return. After speaking to the others, the trainer stepped between Pulren and Gerlo, nodding.

"Good work, men. Now, I know that shields are probably a new thing to you, since the common folk of Zeltiva have little need for them. It may take some time to get used to the weight and the feel of them. Besides, when you graduate to Guards, your shields will be metal and not wooden, so might as well get used to that weight." The Sergeant chuckled, a heavy echo that sounded like it was coming from a great log. Looking to the larger man, his tone was stern. "Gerlo, do not forget that this man is your brother in arms. Unless he soiled your family name, there's no reason for you to try so hard to hurt him."

Gerlo nodded, but the piss in his eyes told Pulren that he had better expect even more thrashings. "Marsh. Didn't I see you walking around here with a trident initially? What made you change to a spear?" Still looking at Gerlo, Pulren turned his eyes to his ranking officer. "I didn't change, Sir. I couldn't find a practice trident, so I was using the spear in the meantime. I figured this was more about the shield." the Sergeant shook his head. "This exercise is about all of you, Marsh. Learning to handle both your chosen weapon and a shield. I'll see if I can't drum you something up."

As the Sergeant left the practice yard, Pulren turned his attention back to Gerlo, whose chest was heaving as if steam might come out of his eyes and ears. "What's your problem, Gerlo?" The larger, knobby faced man spat on the ground before Pulren. " I see ye as an enemy when I train. Ye are a soft and supple little lass too, fresh for a stabbing." There was no mistake in Gerlo's glassy gaze and its intentions. Pulren simply stared back at the big man, a grin slowly growing on his face. "Your aim is terrible, Gerly. We lasses need not worry about you. Maybe your breath." He said it in such a matter of fact way that it could be seen churning about in Gerlo's head, his grip on his sword stiffening and his shield rising. He meant blood this time.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on May 28th, 2014, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Arms Up! (Training)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 29th, 2014, 12:47 am

The Sergeant returned just in time, a wooden trident in hand. "You can just toss that now." Pulren looked at Gerlo and then hauled back and threw the spear at a practice dummy. It didn't come close, bouncing around behind it. Gerlo smirked and scoffed, Pulren shrugged and took his weapon in hand. He did prefer to have his weapon handy, his arm gripping the shield tight. The Sergeant walked back toward his previous position as he casually added, "Arms Up!"

Pulren raised the shield and trident and jumped backward on instinct, an initial downward slash of rage coming from his opponent. He let the trident slide into his hand so that it was evenly balanced. Too high toward the tines and he had no parry, too low toward the end and he could lose the weapon entirely. It was much easier to fight with two hands than using the shield as well. Gerlo was coming at him like an angry farm bull, his swings and strikes flailing and wild. That would be Pulren's only advantage.

He started raising the shield once the sword came into range. It came down on him hard, feeling like a punch to his forearm each time. He kept the shield low enough so that he could see, but also high enough to not catch the lateral sweeps to his face. He was constantly being pushed back and with each foot that he retreated, his anger and resolve rose. He could tell that the Sergeant was watching them pair off and he hoped he wouldn't call Gerlo down.

The next strike was so hard that he thought the sword or the shield might crack. "GERLO!", the Sergeant bellowed. Only the warning slowed the attack, but Pulren could see it pleased Gerlo that he had to be reined in. "I'm good, Sergeant! Criminals won't give me a second chance. Sir!" This only seemed to please Gerlo more. "As you wish, Marsh." Gerlo looked away at the Sergeant and Pulren took the opportunity, striking him in the midsection with his trident.

A grunt of anger came from Gerlo and the sword rose with it. Pulren had to focus and keep the momentum, striking out hard as he stepped in with the thrust. His aim was the sword arm itself and he shared surprise with his opponent as the sword went skidding across the ground. Gerlo furrowed his eyebrows and brought his shield up as he scrambled for the weapon. Another thrust went to the back of Gerlo's knee, sending him down to a crouch as he reached out for the weapon.

Then Pulren was surprised to see the other's shield tossed aside so that he could get his weapon. Pulren let him retrieve it as he kicked the shield away. Gerlo stood and looked at him, the anger turning into confusion. Maybe a little fear. "Let me have my shield, Marsh." Pulren wanted to be honorable, but he also felt Gerlo had it coming. "No. Yield or fight as you are." Gerlo looked at the Sergeant, who seemed to remain stoic. Gerlo threw his sword down and said it. "Yield." He then slumped his shoulders and Pulren had the wind taken from his sails. He picked up the sword and shield and followed the big man.

"Hey, Gerlo!" The man stood and then turned, a portrait of disappointment. Handing Gerlo his weapons, Pulren said, "Sarge didn't say Arms Down, man." Gerlo looked at him and grinned, taking the arms and armor and returning to the yard. Raising his own weapons, Pulren nodded, glad that the tide had been turned toward brotherhood.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Arms Up! (Training)

Postby Neologism on June 8th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Grade Awarded!

Skills

Skill Points
Running +1 xp
Weapon: Sheild +3 xp
Weapon: Spear +2 xp
Weapon: Trident +2 xp
Tactics +5 xp
Observation +1 xp
Rhetoric +1 xp
Intimidation +2 xp

Lores

➢ Gerlo: Intimidating
➢ "Arms Up!": Hold Your Weapons Ready
➢ "Arms Down!": Drop Your Weapons, Step Away & Await Instruction
➢ Sheild Position: Hold It High Enouhg To Cover Your Chin
➢ Spear: Is Similar To A Trident
➢ Tactics: Avoiding An Attack Can Throw Your Opponent Off Balance
➢ Wave Guards Get Metal Sheilds
➢ Trident: If You Hold It Too High, You Can't Make A Hit
➢ Trident: If You Hold It Too Low, You Loose It
➢ Gerlo: Doesn't Aim When He Is Mad
➢ Tactics: To Gain An Advantage, Aim To Unarm Your Opponent
➢ Tactics: Strike When Your Opponent Is Distracted
➢ Gerlo: Is Friendly, But Not A Good Sport

Injuries

➢ Bruises: You are going to have some light bruises to your forearm, from Gerlo's hits to your shield. They shouldn't last longer thank 5-6 days.

Comments

That was great writing Pulren, you really showed me where exactly you wanted the skills and lores, while still keeping your writing from getting dull, way to go! Since I am a JrST, I need to get my grades approved before I can post them. I apologize for any late grades. If you find any problems or are concerned about anything, please let me know and we can work it out. :)[/size]
Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)