Closed Paper Mountain (Winona)

Lorettana is not in a good mood. Watch out.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Lorettana on April 14th, 2014, 3:30 am

Lorettana
Kontinese,Common, tukant

34,Spring,514 AV Location: Amaranthine Gate

Eyebrows knotted at the center of her head, lips in a tight line, and body more rigid than rocks. Lorettana pets her (Winona’s) horse’s hair to calm herself. For she was about to explode. Her beautiful copper and golden skin was dirty from not properly bathing. Her dirty blonde hair was starting to get a sour smell. She’s sick of this mountain and the cuts it gives her every time she was forced to climb. The guide was kind but, sometimes he would give her “child” strange looks. Which causes Lorettana to glare at him. But this mountain was not the reason for the upcoming explosion.

Paper. Paper gets expensive when one has to keep on buying it. The same goes for ink. Lorettana likes to have paper to teach Winona how to write and read. Lorettana likes to have paper because writing helps her memorize stories. Which was important sense she’s a storyteller! Lorettana also likes ink because what’s the point of paper if one doesn’t have ink. What is this… the twentieth or thirtieth time Lorettana had told Winona to not use up all the paper? How many times did Lorettana tell Winona that they were running out ink? So use it wisely until she can gets some more.

Yes, Lorettana had plenty of money. She currently has 600 Mizas (soon to be Kina) making noise in her satchel. The point of her upcoming explosion was not money or even the paper. It’s Winona’s disobedience. Honestly, was Winona blind to Lorettana’s demands and requests? I know she is deaf but, she can still understand me. The ethaefal was not the type to give disobedience a free pass. She was the type to beat it with her shoes. Then cut its palm with sharp rocks. If one wants to see her violent. Then let a child dare disobey her over and over again. Winona was lucky to have a special place in Lorettana’s heart. The woman opens her mouth to take a deep breath and calm down.

Yet, somehow she turns around to glare at the Chaktawe. “Winona!” She screams while also signing. Her fingers shape each letter of her daughter’s name rapidly. When she shapes the letter a, she keeps it for an extra moment or two. Then she dramatically swings one arm in the air to symbolize the exclamation point. This was the first time Lorettana spoke to Winona this morning.

I look through all supplies today. When I was counting how many sheets of paper we had. I noticed all your little notes. Well maybe little is the wrong word,” The ethaefal said dangerously slow. Her eyes narrowed down at her prey. Like a snake, no matter what Winona said or done, the mother would strike.

1…

2…

3…

How many times do I have to tell you, to write small!? Small Winona! Small as in not big! Do you not know what that word means? How many bells did I spend showing you how to write properly?! Small, small, small! How many times do I have to say not to waste the paper and ink?! Winona will you just listen to me!” Lorettana tries her best to sign while speaking. However she is shaking in anger. Rarely does she scream like this. Lorettana is quiet and peaceful. She hates to scream and yell at others but, her deaf “child” pushed the wrong button. She knew better. I know, she knew better.
Last edited by Lorettana on April 21st, 2014, 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just to let everyone know. I won't be on Mizahar much until June 13. School is almost over. I got business to take care of and I want to hang out with my friends much as possible. Considering I don't see them much over the summer.
Lorettana
An Empty Mother

Words: 9509
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Winona_Heath on April 14th, 2014, 2:48 pm

"Winona, The Deaf Spirit"

"Lotetta still mad?"
Winona went silent every five minutes or so while she held her breath to climb.

"Lotetta still mad?"
Her child-like warbled voice was careful with an innocent tone, meant to melt
the heart of a furious woman.

It was a chilly spring morning and there was a lot of tension between them. Just
this morning, Winona's secret papers have been unearthed. Each piece of paper
had contained one letter each. W-I-N-O-N-A, taking up 6 sheets of paper just for
her name. However, she didn't understand why Lorettana was so upset. Winona
figured it was prettier that way. All she had to do is merge the papers together,
side by side, and it would be a long collage of paper to spell her name. Perhaps,
Lorettana was just jealous she didn't think of that. Yea, that was it.

As the guide led them up the mountain, Winona had to help her horse as it
awkwardly stumbled up the rocks with extra weight on it's back from the packed
tent and saddlebags. Lorettana looked like she was struggling as well, her feet
kept slipping and causing her hands to be cut with the sharp rocks and kicking
Winona in the face from time to time. Maybe it was on purpose... Anyway,
Winona did not struggle as much as her guardian, even though she was never
taught how to climb. Her callouses were tough and immune to the hard rocks.
However, she was not immune to the fatigue and windy mountain weather that
buffeted her as she tried to keep up. She shivered violently with her arms and
stomach bare to the chill. She thanked whoever was in the sky for making it
spring and not winter. She would have died from the frost, her body aching and
pleading for the sun to warm her up again.

"Lotetta still mad?"

The guide glanced back at her, his eyebrow raised at her voice. He must have
never heard a tawna accent before. This time, he stared a bit longer, making her
feel a bit uncomfortable. But he quickly averted his gaze when Lorettana gave
him a dark look. Before Winona could climb a bit higher, Lorettana dangerously
twisted her body to face her. Not now, oh gods. Not now.

After Winona had finally learned how to read Common, Lorettana figured that
she could make up little signs with her hands to make it easier to communicate
than reading lips. Lorettana knew Winona hated reading lips, it was a difficult
process. Especially if one spoke too fast or too slow. So Lorettana and Winona
made up their own language. To sign, one must make the letters shape with
their hand. At first, Winona loved it and thought it was genius. But she changed
her mind every time Lorettana used it just to scold her.

It was a terrifying sight to see. Her guardian was barely clinging on, signing to
her very fast and violently. Winona's eyes widened, huddling closer to the rock
and ducking her head away from her so as not to get hit. She almost expected
Lorettana to fall off.

"Lotetta!" Winona whined in a low hiss. "You embarrass me!" But she kept raging.

In exasperation, Winona tried to climb past her but the crazy ethaefal was about
to knock her off the rock! "Why you yell! I no hear! No need to scream head off!
You kill us both!"

The poor guide kept darting his head back and forth at their continuous
bickering. Eventually he had to tug the rope that connected them.

"Um... Ladies? We're almost there-" He took a gulp, unsure of how to get the two
strange creatures to cease.

Winona_Heath
Retired

Words: 36115
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2014, 1:00 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Lorettana on April 14th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Lorettana
Kontinese,Common, tukant

Lorettana gracefully turned around when the guide spoke. "Um..Ladies? We're almost there.." he said quite nervously. The woman gives him a kind and apologizing smile. Every part, except her hands, relaxed. As if she was never angry. Actually for a moment her rage disappeared on the thought of Lhavit. It took a long and painful winter to come here. So of course she was beyond excited.

"Wonderful!"

Why Lhavit? Lorettana couldn't exactly answer that. Of course she wishes to build her skills and give thanks to her gods. But, she could of have easily done that elsewhere. Perhaps Lorettana can figure out her purpose in life here. She still not sure yet. Some days she wishes to remain a storyteller to travel Mizahar over and over again. Then tell others amazing tales that never been told before. Yet other times she dreams of being a teacher. Pacing back and forth in a room, lecturing willing students about... Well about whatever she choices to teach of. On the other hand all Lorettana wants to do, is to be with Winona. Sometimes she has nightmares that Winona disappeared. No one knows where the deaf child gone...

My, my those dreams makes Lorettana think of suicide. The ethaefal shivers a bit but, not because she was cold. Oh before I forget. Her eyes travel to Winona's. Her citrine eyes, which shined a little in the sun, are glazed with cold anger. The guardian did not have to sign or speak. Her eyes said it all. Once they were past the gate. They will speak about this later. Then Lorettana focuses on the task at hand. However her focus wobbles a bit when a memory of her human past life comes up.

Lorettana is crying and yelling for her baby girl. As she runs around wild in the streets. She grabs random men and women. Ask them if they seen a baby girl. Lorettana does her best her to describe the child. She's just too hysterical to speak properly.

Everyone just pushed her away..."

"Petch!" Lorettana hisses in Kontinese. She looks at her hand to see a tiny scrape. None of the cuts were serious. The dirty rocks just caused them to sting a little bit. She wishes they could simply fly to Lhavit. Her mind is a little to scatter right now to climb.
Last edited by Lorettana on April 21st, 2014, 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just to let everyone know. I won't be on Mizahar much until June 13. School is almost over. I got business to take care of and I want to hang out with my friends much as possible. Considering I don't see them much over the summer.
Lorettana
An Empty Mother

Character sheet

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Winona_Heath on April 14th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Bipolar, that was what Lorettana was. The most terrifying bipolar
guardian Winona ever met. "Wonderful!" Her guardian chirped with a sickly
sweet smile. Winona didn't question her though, her look still promised an ass-
whooping once they settled down in Lhavit. For now, Winona would have to slow
them down as much as possible to avoid it. Winona craned her neck but still
could not see. She could see the guide lifting himself over a small ledge and her
fingers could feel the rest. She barely brushed her fingers against the stone,
feeling for any signs of the guide walking above them. Indeed, she could feel the
soft pattering. Just over the ledge and the exhausting climb would be over...

Winona tried to help Lorettana as she started to climb again, staying in place as
she used her free hand to help lift her foot. " Petch! " She spat, but Winona
didn't notice, still trying to lift her with her boney arms. " Lotetta, keep
climb. You heavy than you look! "
She didn't mean to come off as rude, but
she didn't realize that Lorettana had to stop to check her fresh wounds. Winona
felt a burst of adrenaline as her feet were starting to loosen grip on the rock,
ending up almost launching her guardian as she slipped a good two feet down
the side of the mountain. She let out a startled cry, her nails scratching against
the stone as she stopped herself from slipping any farther.

" It okay! I fine! " She shouted up, tugging the rope that was wrapped
around her waist. The guide had wrapped his arm around Lorettana's to lift her,
keeping an eye on Winona and nodding in response. "Careful there! Good thing
you have the rope on you!" He shouted down to her. Winona squinted, barely
giving herself time to read his lips and focusing on climbing back up. Her horse
ended up getting lifted by rope with the strength of two, Winona made it up
with her body in cold sweat in time to help with the lift. They all grunted,
spreading their legs to gain more ground. Once the horse was up, the guide took
a moment to gain his breath back and pointed to the bridge. " Just up ahead and
we'll be in Lhavit. Remember to go to the Cosmos Center to exchange any money
you plan on spending. "
He bowed to Lorettana and Winona then continued to
lead. Winona patted her horse, standing behind her guardian. She almost
expected her to turn right around and smack her upside the head but she
looked upset.

" Lotetta, it okay. We almost there. " She sympathized, coming up to her side
and putting a hand on her shoulder.

Last edited by Winona_Heath on April 23rd, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winona_Heath
Retired

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Lorettana on April 14th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Lorettana
Kontinese,Common, tukant

The bridge itself was a sight to marvel at. Though the mountain was a nightmare. Wait, more than a nightmare. A little piece of evil. If this mountain had a face, the ethaefal would have kicked it in the eyeball. Lorettana wouldn't hesitate to laugh in it's face. Unfortunately such an act is impossible. But, the bridge and Lhavit is making up for it.

Winona patted Lorettana's shoulder. The mother simply holds the chaktawe's hand before finally following the guide. Yes, she was still angry. She was going over in her mind, how to get Winona to understand. To understand not to go against her words. To actually listen. The young girl may be deaf but, she has a brain.

The guide was a few feet ahead of them. Still in hearing distance but, he was distracted by a Okomo that decided to join the party. One could tell he wished these women to be away from him already. Lorettana frowns thinking that she should had more manner's this morining. When he departs, Lorettana will say thank you and apologize for her behavior.

The wind picked up a little bit as they walked across. Her grey and white clock flutter lightly. Lorettana was not bothered by the chill. She turned to her darling baby. Winona can never handle the cold. This Lorettana knew too well. The guardian holds up her hand to signal Winona to stop. "I know you must be freezing," she signs.

The old soul brushed the dirt off her cloak. Then unties it before wrapping it around Winona shoulder's. Not caring if the child wants to wear it or not. It's a very warm cloak and a very chilly day. Plus the mother loves to see Winona in her clothes. She just looks so cute. Her little freckles going across her noise and cheeks. Right under those puppy dog black eyes. Cute but, she's a disobedient and slightly annoying person.

"Why don't you listen to me Winona? You better follow my rules once were in Lhavit. This is a safe city but, danger lurks everywhere. Understood?" When Lorettana signed the word 'understood', she made her hand movements sharp and quick. To emphasize the point: mind her words.

To anyone else this may appear as a bonding moment. However her eyes said it all. Lorettana shakes her hand feeling irritation creep up her spine. She turned around and continued. She picks up the speed a little bit. Almost rushing to get in the city and find a bathhouse. Oh my gods, they both stink. When was the last time Winona washed her hair?

In her mind Lorettana made a list of all the things they must do.

1) Cosmos Center, exchange money

2) Go to a Inn and eat.

3) Bath house. Loretttana hates being dirty.

4) Go back to the Inn and sleep.

Then tomorrow...

Get employed.
Last edited by Lorettana on April 21st, 2014, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorettana
An Empty Mother

Character sheet

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Winona_Heath on April 15th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Winona's eyes bulged out of her head when she caught sight of it. The
bridge to Lhavit was beautiful... But it also had a long drop. For a moment,
Winona started to doubt it's ability to handle the three of them crossing.
Lorettana held her hand as they started to approach the bridge and Winona's
free hand clutched to the horse's reigns just a little tighter. If they died from
this bridge, she would so come back as a ghost to haunt the thing forever. Stupid
bridge better not break...

As they started across the bridge, Winona found herself with her legs wide apart
and stepping forward gingerly. Her hand wrapping around the reign and pressing
her palm against the side of the bridge for stability. Her grip on Lorettana's hand
tightened a bit but she didn't seem to notice. In the middle of crossing,
Lorettana took off her cloak and wrapped it around her shoulders. She glanced
up at her guardian and raised an eyebrow. Her cloak was warmer than her own,
but she still could have worn it instead of wearing hers. She wanted to return it
but Lorettana wouldn't have it. For a moment, Lorettana studied her and popped
a warm smile. Even thought it was short-lived, she still felt her heart warm up
with admiration and mother-daughter love.

"Why don't you listen to me, Winona? You better follow my rules once we're in
Lhavit. This is a safe city, but danger lurks everywhere. Understood?"
Winona
rolled her eyes at Lorettana's hand signs but she would try. She didn't feel
particularly rebellious at the moment since she already did something bad
earlier this morning to feed her hungering urges and temptations. She wouldn't
say anything in reply, but inside she secretly did promise. For now anyway.

'Please gods, don't let the bridge give away.' She thought
to herself as they were closer to the Amaranthine Gate. Before their small group
prepared to enter Lhavit, a distant voice called down to them. "Hail, what
brings you to Lhavit?"
All the hearing people looked up in union to face the
guard that spoke, while Winona whipped her head back and forth to see what
they were looking at. What was happening? What were they listening to?

Winona_Heath
Retired

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Lorettana on April 17th, 2014, 5:02 am

Lorettana
Kontinese,Common, tukant

Lorettana covered her mouth as it dropped. The city was literally glowing. Bright as Syna's mighty fire. Never have Lorettana seen a city so beautiful. No wonder it's called Kalea's jewel. She has not taken one step inside the city. Yet she already regrets leaving it. The woman grabbed Winona's wrist and squeezed as she felt something bubbled inside of her. A strange feeling but, not a bad feeling. It's the same feeling one gets when the story actually begins. When all the important characters are introduced. The setting is up and ready. And foreshadowing discreetly appears in the plot.

Lorettana shivered not because she was cold. Not because she was scared. No because hot electricity was shooting up and down her body. Charging her to enter the city with confidence. With... With... With Purpose? Nah, purpose is still a strong word at the moment. Still it is something. For once Lorettana didn't feel like an secondary character in a book. No, this is her story now.

"Hail, what brings you to Lhavit," calls out a Shinya guard. Lorettana lifted her head up to see a welcoming face. The guard looked like a strong and powerful man. All the guards were like this. Yet none of them seemed threatening or harsh. To her at least.

"I'm the not quite sure yet," whispers the ethaefal. Her lips were pressed together signally that she was thinking. Once again temporarily wondering a bit. Well maybe not wondering. Planning. Planning what? The world may never know. For now.

The guardian looked over to her precious darling. She taps Winona on her shoulder and starts signing/speaking. "Look up there, the guards are greeting us." The mother points to where everyone is looking. " They said, 'Hail, what brings you to Lhavit? Say hi or wave." Lorettana turns to wave at the guards. They wave back.

When that's all done, the gates open up. Lorettana gave Winona a hopeful and joyous look. "This is where are our story truly begins."

Last edited by Lorettana on April 21st, 2014, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorettana
An Empty Mother

Character sheet

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Winona_Heath on April 19th, 2014, 6:01 am

Winona watched Lorettana's fingers fly. She was still getting used to the
hand signs but picked up the jist of what she meant. "Look, guards greeting."
Winona's kohl black eyes peered up towards the sky, searching for the guards
that were perched above them. Once she caught sight of them, she smiled,
bringing her gaze back to Lorettana as she started to sign again.

"They said, 'Hail, what brings to Lhavit?' Say hi or wave."

Winona's mind flashed with many questions. What should she say? Should she
speak at all? Should she scream in glee and slam against the gate?!- No wait,
they would probably attack her crazy ass if she did that... Should she just wave
and play it cool? All these different impressions were hard to choose from. But
why should she even care what the guards think? She was entering Lhavit for
gods sake! She watched Lorettana wave to the guards, and they returned the
gesture. She knew exactly what she would say...

Nothing, she completely ignored them and turned her head away. Even though
she had clearly saw them... And they saw her see them. Oh well, they didn't
deserve her presence. She was too cool for that. She was entering Lhavit!

The guide shook his head, his hand rubbing his forehead. "What a day. I've
seen it all."
He mumbled to himself, his nerves a bit frazzled. However,
Winona and Lorettana did not notice this. They were rushing past the gates, too
giddy to care.

Winona_Heath
Retired

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Paper Mountain (Winona)

Postby Catastrophe on April 28th, 2014, 5:00 pm

c
Lorettana :
Skills

• Socialization: 3 XP
  • Climbing: 1 XP
  • Observation: 2 XP
  • Leadership: 1 XP
  • Planning: 1 XP

Lores

• Disobedience: Something to not take Lightly
  • Winona: A Deaf Child
  • Signing to get Someone's Attention
  • Having a Strong Fear of Losing Winona
  • Mountains: An Evil Force of Nature

Loot

• N/A

Winona :
Skills

• Climbing: 3 XP
  • Observation: 3 XP
  • Socialization: 1 XP

Lores

• Lorettana: A Guardian of Obedience and Perseverance
  • Lip Reading vs. Signing: A Battle for the Deaf
  • Lorettana: A Protector of Rules and Safety

Loot

• N/A

Notes :
This was a cute introduction post on entering Lhavit you two! However, this particular thread should have been posted in the introduction thread. I suggest you at least post something or another about how each one of you arrived in Lhavit just simply so future storytellers have a tab on your arrival and being in the city.

Another thing to mention as well is the fact that Lhavit does not permit horses. The architecture and building styles of the city are far too challenging to allow a horse to scale and therefore, they are not allowed. Other than that, I'd say welcome!

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, don't hesitate to send me a private message!

c
Catastrophe
I'm Your Biggest Nightmare!

Words: 112948
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Race: Staff account
Office