Closed Days of Rememberance

(Zandelia)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Days of Rememberance

Postby Fallon on May 10th, 2014, 10:10 pm

66th Spring 514 AV

It was with a great amount of focus that Fallon managed to somehow dress herself. Fingers gave a fumble on strings – the inability to use a hand completely correctly proved to make it somewhat of a challenge, and it was only with the more simplistic of movements that she managed to pull the ties together into some form of bow. From there layers fumbled, a snag here and there as she wriggled her way into the tunic. Arms gave their wriggling, a shake of the head as she blinked. When assistance came she shooed it away, she needed to teach herself, to understand what was possible to do whilst in such a state.

There was an inhale as her chest tightened, the reminding stab to not hunch over too much. Her hand pressed against her ribs, a deep inhale as she willed the pain away. Not that it listened anyway. Cheeks puffed, a moving down and grasping of the sash and belt, her eyes looking about to everything else. Trousers were carefully tucked into boots, a gentle pull of the leather around her ankle and up. Fingers probed, checking that it had not disturbed the bandaging before she moved onto the rest of the layers. The dark grey blouse was pulled and probed, an over layer that was quickly pulled into place – no doubt there would comments, but right now that was not her immediate concern. She was trying to prove that she was not unable.

A gentle pull of the sash around the waist, a careful pull and tying off at one side. If there was anything noticeable about what she was trying to do, it would be the factor she was trying to look her best – a hard task for a city such as Sunberth, yet one she deemed necessary. It was an important date for her, and one that she did not share. Zandelia was the single exception to this rule. Taking up the belt, she gave only a quick glance down to the rest of the blades and the armour before returning to what was at hand. The kukri; that was what she needed today. Nothing else.

Orvin looked up to her with his large eyes, the occasional blink as he took her int

Ensuring the kukri and its sheath were secured horizontally upon the leather, she gave only a pause. The glass ball was also there, the gloves lying next to it discarded for now. A slow blink, a chew upon her lip as she thought, and then turned to the crutch and the bold red coat. It was unusual to wear such a loud colour, she mused – high collared and black buttoned. She felt the fabric between her fingers, the slightest of frowns as she considered it. Cotton, double layered, a two tone piece – and by Sunberth standards it was good quality. There was a cock of the eyebrow as she wondered on how much exactly had been spent upon the new garments, but she also had a distinct feeling she would not get an answer if asked.

Either way, that was not her concern right now. With a bit more difficulty she pulled the coat on. Fingers wriggled, a gentle flex in the sleeves – a good fit too. There was a shake out of the collar, a roll of shoulders as she let it shift into place and rest there for a few moments and leaving it open. Until, she pulled upon the belt and looped it round. A satisfied nod, she claimed the glass ball, her methodical movements finally coming to a stop. She gave a smile, pleased with what she had managed to achieve.

Fingers ran through the hair, combing it back into some semblance of order, the fingers tweezing out the strands as she pulled it back. They would be making a move soon, outside for the first time in a while. Excitement in some regards filled her, but there was also the bittersweet taste of the reason behind it. A moment of remembrance, that moment of reflection of what had come and gone. Things that had passed and what would possibly come in the future. There was a grunt, and a groan as she felt the fingers spasm. A muttering of a curse, she tried once more with fingers refusing to do as she wished. A flick, she tried a last time and then allowed herself to surrender.

”Zandelia… Sunshine…” Fallon let out a sigh and held the leather cord forward for her to take, ”Can you… tie my hair back please? I’m… having a bit of difficulty.” She looked at the woman from beneath her brow. Taking the crutch she stamped her better foot against the ground, and then placed the tool next to it. A swing up a moment of balance as she rested there, a creak of boards beneath her feet, the leaning weight between both feet as she leaned upon it. Gingerly she placed the weaker upon the ground, a series of winces as she weighed up how much weight was suitable for it. Another nod, a gentle clunk forward as she tested it.

It was nice to be doing something for a change, instead of being trapped. And it was apparent with the look upon her face that actions were becoming pleasing. Freedom, really. She gave the incline of the head to Orvin, the fingers of her free hand snapping with a firm point down to her feet, ”Come on you, to heel. Let’s get moving shall we?”
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Days of Rememberance

Postby Zandelia on May 10th, 2014, 11:41 pm

The day had arrived sooner than she had expected, though for all intents and purposes time had become difficult to gage clearly when she spent much of her time in a small room rented from a tavern owner out of kindness and favours owed. Merv had been a rock and proven to her beyond reasonable doubt that you never cold read some people, his generosity was a rare thing and though in many ways he gave because of what he could get in return there was still a sliver of true altruism at the core. As for where her time was spent, it was with the wolf of course. Fallon Skylar, her condition and moods visibly improving as the days of recovery continued to march onwards.

Zandelia had kept her promise as far as she could and to the best of her ability. She had spent less time outside in the streets and warrens of Sunberth and more time with the woman who had risked her life for her freedom. With the one she held the deepest of affection for and whom she owed more than she could count. Also the one she had stolen secrets from and would soon have to admit that to. Some things had dragged her away, important dealings which could not progress without her personal presence, but for the most part she had tried her damned best. That counted for something she hoped, in the grand scheme of things.

Or I hope it does so that the good can outweigh the bad, the pure smother the dastardly. Generosity, protection, love, kindness…when did I truly start believing that they were worthless? Oh they are far from the perfection many claim but they aren’t pointless. I know that now…but when? When… she asked herself as she was swatted away, attempts at assistance rebuffed until she finally gave up and leant up against the wall and watched the display.

It was soothing, in a way. She found herself wincing slightly with every misplaced movement or sharp intake of breath – echoing the other ever so slightly. Yet there was a source of pride there also, that Fallon was both stubborn and courageous. Such a simple thing, to dress one’s self. So often overlooked by most of the world, Zandelia herself was guilty of it. Now, for Fallon, it was a struggle and one she was gritting her teeth through. An ordeal for now, soon once more an easy task. Reserves of strength she was seeing now, deep within the other woman but always there. She had wondered how Fallon had managed to track her down, get injured and yet still fight onwards. Now she knew – she was far too bloody minded to die easily or give up on anything she had set her mind upon.

She simply watched as the clothing she had procured was slipped on, layer upon layer and the ceremony as not lost upon her either. She knew the day was of great import and the fact that Fallon wanted to be properly dressed told her much. The selection of the Kukri was obvious thought he glass ball that Zandelia had taken to idly playing with at times of boredom was a curiosity. She tilted her head and pursed her lips but said nothing, she would keep her counsel until her role in this day was revealed. She had decided that she knew too little about the man, about what was wanted. She didn’t wish to say something out of place to ruin the occasion. Then the offer to tie the hair, the exasperated noise of failure…she was only human.

At least she seems to approve of the clothes, or at least not dislike them enough that they are considered unwearable. Good, she needed more colour. Besides…brings out the blushes she told herself with a smile as she stepped forwards and took the leather cord from the outstretched fingers.

“Of course Fallon, you look so wonderful it would be a shame to ruin it now,” she stated simply, idly toying with the idea of making something more stylish than Fallon’s customary tieback but in the end relinquishing the desire and gathering it together loosely at the base of the skull.

“Should I heel too Wolf?” she smiled slightly, they were said warmly, “very well but where are you planning to go? What did you need my help with?” she asked simply, stepping back then.

She knew enough about the woman to leave her to her own walking. She wanted to be the support, to make things easier but it would just have been viewed as unnecessary. Insulting perhaps. No, she would follow in Fallon’s wake and keep her eyes open. Fallon may not have chosen any weapons for this excursion but Zandelia had all of hers at the ready and various eyes and ears outside watching for her also. She wished she had been told what the other planned for this day so she could prepare more thoroughly but for once she had respected the privacy.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Days of Rememberance

Postby Fallon on May 11th, 2014, 1:58 pm

There was an element of patience in Zandelia, even with the occasional sharp intakes of breath and the questioning glances here and there. Fallon gave only a blink as she let the woman groom the hair into some semblance of order. For a while she let the fingers trace, a shudder as it was pulled round and tied back. A gentle flick, the feeling of the tie as it was gathered at the back, and the few strands managed to come free. Even then, she managed a smile and the flash of white teeth. There was a final glance about, eyes turning to the small room that had been granted to them for the small amount of time.

The right gave a pat upon the head of Orvin as he padded over, head cocking to one side and then up to Zandelia almost expectantly. A nudge of the paw, followed by a huff almost of insult before he went round to Fallon’s other side. Leaning upon the crutch, she cocked an eyebrow, ”Don’t have to heel. I thought we discussed this. You’re a cougar, a cat. I can’t control you and make you do what I want.” Her tongue darted out at that point, a gentle tease ”I told you. Somewhere quiet and away from people. Outside in the fresh air. Not cooped up in a building. Just for a little while. No people. Or few at least.”

“As for your help,”
Fallon left it hanging, letting her eyes drift down to the armoured woman and then back up. Armed and ready for a fight, that much was noticeable. An advantage in some regards – Fallon knew she was far from a state for battle. Blades would be useless and the weight would be more of a handicap if anything. For a moment she blinked, eyes taking it in, a chew upon the lip as she thought carefully. Where was she going to lead them? Even she was not sure, ”Well, I figured you wouldn’t let me leave here without supervision. Or half a dozen mercenaries on my heels.”

Clunking towards the door, she opened it. Wood groaned as she made the descent down to the main floor, the padding of Orvin as he shot on past, the low pant to the mumbling voices of the morning patrons. For a moment there was a yap, eyes bright and up turning to the women as they made their way down, the tail wagging madly as he stared up. With the free hand pressing against the wall, and the gentle thud as she met the bottom, did Fallon finally make her way over to Merv. With a wave and a grin she made a quick as possible path over to the man, a gentle gesture to him to come over. The man simply stepped across, a respectful nod to the pair of them before Fallon finally grasped all of his attention.

”You get it Merv? Did you?” her fingers drummed on the bar surface. She watched the man look at her, complacent for the moment before he placed the tankard he was tending to down. There was an element of buzzing, energy resting within her form waiting almost to rip out of her – and probably would of if it was not for the present crippling state.
”I did Bitzer, I did. Tricky to get hold of, but managed it eventually,” there was a sigh, whilst Fallon’s lips broke out into a grin. There was only a quick glance back to the woman, the pushing down of the expression behind the mask of self-control, but even that struggled to remain in place. There was a faint clunk as the bag was placed onto the surface. A clap, her fingers quickly lifted to peek at the contents within. Everything seemed in order, and everything that she had requested seemed to be there.
”Take it the gold covered it?” There was only a nod in response. Turning round to Zandelia she signalled for her to come over.

”Back to the topic of helping, I figured now would be a good time for you to at least try and be a good assistant,” She held the bag out to Zandelia to take, eyes narrowing as she met the gaze, ”And no peaking. I’ll know if you do. Ruin the surprise.” There was only a grin, the holding of the cards close and revealing nothing. With mischief she gave only a quick thanks to Merv before she made her way towards the door, ”Somewhere quiet. Somewhere away from people. Somewhere to reflect. Come on.” She let Orvin escape through the door first, a mighty shake as he was exposed to the open Sunberth air. It certainly had gotten warmer in the last few days, the once chill of winter finally being shaken off. With a rapping of knuckles upon the kukri, the old familiar sound of cold iron, did Fallon’s gaze sweep towards the edge of town. That moment of pause to feel the air upon her skin, a deep inhale as she gave a turnabout with the crutch, ”We’ll head up towards the Springs. Should be quiet in that direction. Plus it’s not too far, right?”

It did not matter what Zandelia voiced, Fallon was already making a move in that general direction anyway through the crowd. Despite her state she held her head high, shoulders rolling back and the summoning forth of the persona of Bitzer. The tongue tested itself, a few clicks as she held the gaze of those who weighed her up for her worth. A snort, she clicked her fingers, the firm tone escaping, ”Come on Orvin, keep to heel.” She watched the shaggy beast look up to her and bring himself back in pace, head bobbing along as he compiled to her instructions for now.

For a while, she simply looked ahead. Gaze grew distant, a moment of musing as she considered her words, ”There’s two things that need to be done today. Well, I’d like to do. I… well,” Fallon frowned the rougher tongue falling into place, ”If it wasn’t for this, I probably would have just disappeared for a few days. It’s… not something I generally bring people into.” A shrug, followed by the narrow of eyes, ”Hard stuff, you know. Not really sure what to do though. I mean, there’s paying respects, but… I generally just find somewhere and go and meditate for a bit.” Her gaze glazed for a moment, and then once more sharpened, ”If you want to go and do your own thing however, I won’t stop you.”
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Days of Rememberance

Postby Zandelia on May 11th, 2014, 4:17 pm

“Oh I didn’t say that I would, just whether I should. I do what I wish, perhaps I wished to do it. Perhaps not,” she skirted the wordplay, a pleasant distraction to the worries within, “as to the mercenaries…no. Some helped me for a time but we are safe. For now…I made sure of it. A few people wandering about, unobtrusively keeping their eyes and ears open. That is all I have today” she stated simply.

“You said it was important and I didn’t think you’d want to be disturbed with…whatever it was you were doing. So you have watchers to help whilst in the city. Nothing more” she shrugged, it was hardly a present she supposed but it was realistic.

In a city where you could get ambushed and knifed for literally anything they were safer than most. Fallon had her magic as well as her prowess with weaponry and was safe as safe could be, theoretically. The trapping and the kidnapping though had forced Zandelia to become far more cautious with such assumptions and weighed heavily. That they could have been so surprised and scattered without warning. No, she was trying to leave little to chance now and so whether the other woman liked it or not she was going to get some assistance. Causing irritability was less important than safety at present, when she was fully healed she could do as she pleased entirely.

Though I think I’ll still have some o them keep their eyes on her, not to spy. Protect. Keep their distance, just watch for dangers. Hidden shields that, if done correctly, won’t even be noticed. I hope. Otherwise I’ll be in for a tongue lashing of monument- she thought to herself as their journey began, curling own the stairs slowly and then ending abruptly at the bar.

“Merv, what have you been cooking up be-“ she began to ask, suspicion at what the contents contained obvious but she was not allowed to finish her question before her had turned and Fallon had handed the bag to her expectantly.

There was a small scowl as she begrudgingly took the package, fingers itching as they curled around the strings that fastened it closed. She liked to know, needed to know. One of her many failings, curiosity and it had almost seemed so much a show as to be designed to irk her – that she wasn’t allowed to know. Not yet. It would have been so easy, to open it anyway and to look within. Fingers clenched and then relaxed after a few moments…no. She would leave it for now. Curiosity had left her with enough problems to deal with as it was and this was not her day. Whatever it was would be revealed in time, patience. She was beginning to learn a lot about patience – not in waiting for something but forcing herself to wait.

“Yes Bitzer, I have overlooked many a duty. Carrying is sufficient penance? Or is it the taunting of the contents? Very well, I shall carry the bag and not look, despite the fact that I really want to” she met the gaze and shook her head slowly as she wrapped the thongs around her wrist for a better grip.

They were off once more, the door beckoning and the warm breezes of late spring caressing their forms. Clothing rippled in places though gently. A tender flicking at their exposed skin and the pale rays of the sun heating them slightly. Summer was on the cusp of appearing and soon it would blaze fully amidst the streets. The smell would be terrible but, for now, they were caught bin the pleasant days between ice and fire. There was a little explanation and then they were moving once more and, she noticed, Fallon was doing her best to slip back into the public persona she had cultivated. She was tired of hiding away and wanted to reunite with the world once more. She couldn’t fault her as she kept pace easily and her gaze watched the crowds. She turned and caught sight of a familiar face – one of Jarral’s lads. She nodded to him and returned her attention forwards once more.

“Oh I’m not leaving you alone, not today Bitzer. If you need to do something then I will not interfere,” she slipped back into her own work mannerisms now, it was difficult but required, “I will stand back and let you do what you need to do. Be the shadow, the watcher. Help where I can. At least the Hot Springs will have the advantage of being isolated. Easier to see what’s what there. No, you lead and I will follow” she continued smoothly.

“Won’t get rid of me that easily Bitzer, besides who will carry the bag and make sure Orvin doesn’t worry you to death whilst you are meditating? But thank you for deigning me important enough to include. I will try and not disturb you” she asked absently as she twisted her head to the right and noted that a non-descript couple on a corner was in point of fact Jarral and Carole.

They gestured and she shook her head, finger of her free hand tapped the side of her eye-patch and then made non-descript circular motion at her thigh – they were to watch the area around them and keep to the city. Once out of the city, and the fringe was fast approaching now as they meandered their way onwards, Zandelia was on her own. She liked it that way for the most part, a slight protective jealousy perhaps. After all, if anyone was going to fight for Fallon it was damned well going to be her.

“So you just meditate do you? I knew a Jamoura once who did that all day…well…most of the day. I wasn’t good at learning the sitting version but I made my own way of clearing my mind with their help. Asha I think her name was?” she scratched her cheek slightly in thought.

“Interesting race the Jamoura, never did manage to grasp their philosophies. Too tempestuous I suppose” she shrugged as she maintained her position next and to and slightly behind Fallon.

So far so good, nothing had reared its head and the wounds that were healing did not seem to be overly bothering the other woman. Hopefully, she reasoned, it was going to be a good day.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Days of Rememberance

Postby Fallon on May 11th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Fallon had to resist making a comment – she figured that the woman would not appreciate them. Still, it was up to the woman to resist such temptations. So when Zandelia finally took it, and their escape into the world was made, did she continue her steps. It was surprisingly hard work. Harder than she was letting on. Arms had to be used to begin with, the difficulty in keeping balance and the jerking of the crutch up into her armpit. The stares also did not help, it made her skin prickle, that feeling of being weak and insecure nagging at her innards. Soon, she would show them her recovery soon. And when that happened, they would remember how much of an animal she really was.

”How about this,” Fallon spoke crisply a balance upon her better foot as she turned to face the woman. The brow had set itself into that of lacking amusement and a serious tone had set in, ”If you look, before we reach our destination, then I will take it back to Merv with a sour taste in my mouth and you with a sore head after a tongue lash. And then we’ll all be pretty grumpy. Hmm? Sound fair?” She held the gaze, a cool one at that for a good few ticks before she went on her way. All the while however, the tones of Bitzer came into play, ”Yes. Sufficient penance for now. But as I said, you look early, you’ll ruin the surprise. And that’s not fun.”

For a while they walked, the pace slowed due her own incompetence at being able to do so effectively. All the while the words of Zandelia sounded out behind, the mannerisms of business reaching her ears. And no doubt would remain so until they reached some form of privacy and seclusion away from prying ears. She gave a snort, eyes looking ahead and at the people. She had to keep focus, look where she was going and keep moving. Whatever the woman was doing behind her was not known, she had her own things to attend to, ”Anyway, if you have patience… it will be worth it. Trust me on that one.”

An exhale, the dragging in of that Sunberth stench as they stepped between the houses. There was a momentary glance up to them, eyes scanning the tops out of curiosity, before once more the city outskirts came into sight. Something that was noticeable even to her. People lessened, the pathways less turned by feet. She looked back at the woman with a blink, ”Well, if you were not here… there wouldn’t be a bag. And Orvin? Well, I just wouldn’t meditate properly I guess. He was a pup last time anyway. Besides, anything could be done. It’s just simple reflection and understanding. Past seeking if you will. Petch it, I need a breather.”

Lips pursed into a line, the clink of wood as she paused. Fingers rubbed against her brow, a moment of pause as she leaned herself against the wall. The mutterings of a groan, her brow knit into a line. With her weight put down onto her better leg, she held strong and promptly rubbed into the shoulder. It was a pain to say the least, and walking – if it could even be called that – was proving itself to be hard work. A long inhale, then an exhale and finally a repeat. Her eyes simply looked upon the woman, a faint twitch of the lids as she gathered her senses. Fingers grasped around the crutch once more, a testing jab against the earth as she pushed herself back up and forward, ”Let’s go, final leg and all... Hah. Leg.”

She shook her head as she moved onwards, ”Jamoura meditate a lot. They’re sort of my influence on that field I guess. Always looking to find some understanding and clarity of mind. Always… I don’t have much of an opinion if I’m honest. I know they like knowledge, and they were pleasant after Aler…” Fallon paused, her eyes looking back to the city as they went up the beating track, ”We won’t be going to the Springs proper yet. Detour for some quiet space first. A nice tree I think. Trees are nice.” A distraction, a momentary one, ”And, once we have our tree… Well, who knows? I don’t always meditate. Sometimes I just sit down and watch the world go by. It can be just as relaxing. But, this is his day, just as much as it’s mine. A day of remembrance. Because, it’s good to remember.”

A smirk, she pointed off the path to a low gnarled tree, fresh with budding and the start of blossom, That tree, will do nicely. Coming?” She flashed a grin, her gaze looking back towards the city and then the tree, ”Relax, I’m not going to try and climb it. Just… sit down for a bit. I mean, I can try and climb it. But you might have to catch me a few times.” Inclining her head she made her way over, shooing Orvin on ahead – who seemed to do so with much energy. The curling of a grin, eyes bright as she took the scene in.

Leading her way to the gnarled wood, she gave it a pat with the gloved hand, feeling the rough texture from beneath her tips. A pat, a lean, she turned her gaze back to the city proper before easing herself down onto the ground. Dry earth, free from the damp of rain – if not grass covered. It felt familiar to say the least, some hazy memory resting in the back of her mind. With a pat to the space next to her, and the firm pressing of Orvin against her did meet the woman’s gaze, ”Come on, sit, think. But don’t open the bag just yet, Sunshine.” Her hand fumbled within her pocket, pulling out the glass ball and studying it within the light. For a moment she raised it, letting the rays caress it’s form and that red sheen be taken on within the world, ”Be patient, then I shall indulge you.”

Another smile, the ball lowering as she simply let it rest within her palms, and the heavy head of Orvin found itself upon her thigh. There was amused snort, ”You know, when I first started learning, this was what I was given. A red, glass, ball. Who would think that it would still be here, a decade later?”
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Days of Rememberance

Postby Zandelia on May 11th, 2014, 7:31 pm

“Okay okay….okay! I get the message Bitzer, no looking. No peeking. Not even a small slice into the bag to see and edge of something. It’s closed, shut, unopened. You’re the boss, the assistant has been put into her place most convincingly” she grumbled, not so much out of being told what to do but more because her basic nature was being thwarted somewhere deep down and it went against the grain.

“Patience, yes I can be patient but it is most difficult when someone is placing thoughts into my head so neatly. You know me too well, what works. But fine…Bitzer’s orders. Though I must say that next time I’ll figure out a way of putting you in this position” she allowed a small flicker of the lips at that. Oh yes, there would be some way to turn the tables. One day.

Despite the words as Fallon rested and her emerald orb kept searching for any in coming threats, seeking out the patterns of behaviour and reminding herself where her own helpers would be situated in relation to them, she reflected that she actually enjoyed being told what to do. At times it rubbed the wrong way, at others it was plain annoying. Yet, on some level, it meant she didn’t have to worry. After having to do everything herself for a time she appreciated more that some things she would rather leave to another – to Fallon. There was a freedom in being instructed rather than being the instructor. Of course, Zandelia would lead in some regards still. There were skills that she possessed that were difficult to imitate.

“Well if you can joke about it you must be okay so I shan’t ask after you” she smiled faintly as the other woman began to get going once more, following in her wake and spying Malik now ahead of them – a new addition that Fallon was not aware of yet. Thus he was brazenly leaning against a wall in full view and flipping a coin, damned trickster.

You. Me. Words. Later she thought as well as mouthed to him before jerking her thumb to send him to watch the path behind them.

It was not long until they were outside of the city limits and as they drew further away she turned back slightly to see a small gathering of the oddest sorts of people she could ever have imagined. Street rat, beggar, gambler, merchant, mercenary – all together. They didn’t like each other much but that was the way of things. She tied them together in some ways, made them work together as a loose team. Perhaps, more in time. It was with that thought in mind that she was led to the chosen tree and the offer of reflective sitting in companionship. She snorted at the suggestion of climbing as she surveyed the area. It was beautiful in a way, quiet and peaceful. New life regenerating itself after a long hibernation. Even she, not one for nature, could see the appeal.

“If you try to climb it Wolf I will drag you to the baths again and embarrass you further,” she responded sweetly as she sat herself down with a deep sigh next to the woman, “why this day? If you don’t mind me asking?” she had been curious about the choice for some time now.

Silence continued afterwards for a time and she let her gaze seep towards Sunberth, the city of the damned some said. She had little to reflect upon beyond the depressive she thought – all terrible ideas and fears. Betrayals that niggled at her psyche. Was she a terrible person, or was she a good one? Did it depend upon perspective? She saw much of her father in her but then much of what Fallon deemed as worthy also. Perhaps the seeds of germinating decency were still new and small but they counted for something surely? What did Fallon mean to her…that was another weighty consideration. Was what they shared going to last, would it fizzle out like so many others? When would she see another side of her? Was she really worth that much to Fallon?

On and on the thoughts circled, the melancholic battling with the hopeful in a war that she was beginning to think had been being fought for some time but had merely been ignored by the consciousness. Relegated to the subconscious and only brought forwards by the events of the season. She closed her eye and rested her head upon the rough bark behind her, shoulder brushing Fallon’s and trying simply to forget. It was a difficult task and it must have shown upon her face despite her best efforts.

“I have seen it, played with it upon occasion you may have noticed. I am sorry, I didn’t know of its importance. I’ll stop treating it like a toy then,” she tilted her head sideways a little to look at the other woman, looking into the depths of the red glass, “I don’t find it strange at all. You keep what you value and clearly you value it highly. Would you disregard that pendant of yours? Would you leave Orvin to the city streets if you leave for Zeltiva?” she asked the rhetorical questions.

“I kept my father’s dagger for many reasons. First because I thought he had been killed defending me and when I tracked it down it was a mark of respect. Then because I hated him and wanted to kill him with it when I learnt he had betrayed my mother and myself. Now I carry it as a reminded of the choice I made and of the woman who made me make it” she shrugged uncomfortably at that.

“Why does it seem odd to you? Because you carried it all this time or because it meant that much to you? Or because you thought you would always need it? Sometimes it’s just nice to have things. For no real purpose,” she muttered quietly, “I know you want to remember. You’ve said it. So remember. When did he first give it to you? What did he ask you to do with it? What did you use it for?”
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Days of Rememberance

Postby Fallon on May 11th, 2014, 8:49 pm

”And who said dragging me to the baths would be embarrassing? Maybe I should climb just to have you drag me there. Would save walking,” she peak at the woman from the corner of her eye. There was a flicker upon her lips, and then the gaze turned to that of further ahead. The green grass, the blacked out buildings that made up the body of Sunberth. Somewhere beyond the hills begun to roll, and the trees of the wild lands begun to creep in. The fresh scent of sap, the faint pollen upon the air of a tree about to break out in colour. It was the mighty pause before the world once more burst into life and the year, would truly begin. Her hand gave a twitch, and gently reached down to brush against the woman’s. Reflex almost, the fingers gave only the slightest of brushes and looked to interlace.

”Why this day?” the accent changed to a more normal one, tones rolling and lilting as it did, ”It’s an important day to me. If not for a sombre reason. I…” she pauses as if weighing up her words, ”It was five years ago today that Aleric died. Told you it was a sombre reason.” Frowning, Fallon let the head press against the bark. A deep inhale, the sucking in of the fresh air. Fingers gave a squeeze, her eyes looking to Zandelia to see the reaction – if there would indeed be one. The woman, was still largely difficult to get a complete reading on. For the moment it was pleasant however, new, searching, testing in learning of new things. But, it was also laced in its own state of fear. It was unrooted, so easy no doubt to be lost between the fingers and snagged out from beneath her.

Affections and emotions were never Fallon’s forte. Words of such things were difficult, expressions that were wrapped up tightly behind the veil of hesitation were constantly in place. Explanation, revealing, it was something she was not used to speaking. There was energy within, the buzzing of the feelings beneath, but it was communication of them that was difficult. So much was she used to playing the silver tongued woman, the fiend who needed none but to protect herself, that it all seemed rather alien. Pleasantly so. There was the allowance to simply be herself when around the woman; and that was a blessing in itself.

That frown however bothered her. Shifting slightly, Fallon brought the arm up and round. It slid behind the neck of the woman, fingers curling around the far shoulder to reel her in. A nuzzle, a press as she simply held. Was there something wrong? A bother or a concern? Placing the orb down, she reached the other hand across and gave the lightest of taps beneath the woman’s chin, ”What ails you?”

Concern hung upon her voice, that look of worry within her eye as she gave a lean in. It was probably not the best of questions, but it was a necessary one she felt. A flicker of a smile, the pressing in of a nuzzle to stimulate response. Her eyes flickered only to the bag for a moment, and then back down to the woman. No, not yet. Not whilst something hung in the air, ”If… there is something on your mind. You do know I’ll listen, right?”

And then the conversation changed

”It’s fine,” Fallon looked into the depths of its sheen, ”When I was a child that was pretty much how I treated it. I… no, I wouldn’t leave- I. No. I wouldn’t.” She chewed upon her lip, feeling the heavy pang that such a thought would have been suggested. Cheeks puffed, her gaze not knowing quite where to look or focus upon. So, she chose the ground several feet away. There was a moment of tensing when she did, a replay of when things were received and how all things came about. Orvin in the bag. The passing of the kukri. The pat on the head and the ball. The necklace was an enigma that even she could not answer.

”Your… the choice was, my fault? I-“ Fallon cut herself off. It stung, the shifting of weighted fault quickly onto her shoulders. She gave a sharp inhale, a focus to try and find a level playing field that seemed to be quickly slipping away. Her gaze snapped away, her body moving away with it, ”I don’t know… I just,” she reminded herself to breathe before a moment of fluster took over. She needed to think, to clear her thoughts, ”Just… I. Thought… That maybe some people saw it as odd. It’s just a training ball. Nothing special. Just… stupid. Stupid.” Her fingers tensed, curling up in frustration. It was self-berating, the words of the woman next to her quickly weighing upon her. Cutting in its own way, despite the tones in which they had been spoken.

”I don’t wan-“ she was cut off by Zandelia’s words. It was a truth she wanted to deny. Perhaps it was more related to her own internal frustrations. The past was a sensitive subject to say the least, to bring up memories that she wanted to keep buried, for her reasoning to hold onto things. And whilst she felt on one hand that she did so desperately want to remember, such a notion scraped against her internal grains. A contradiction in its finest state. There was a release, a pressing of the hand to her brow, before she inhaled.

”I was given it after I was initiated. He said the colour matched my spirit, fiery and bright. Full of passion. I didn’t really understand at the time, I was a child. But… it was for training. Nothing more. A weight to practice lifting with projection. Something pretty.So… that was its use…” She shook her head, her jaw tensing slightly. She could feel the pressing of memories, the grins, of pains of happier times when she was not so isolated and without guidance. ”I… I…” Fallon placed both her hands over her face at that point, a long inhale. Deep, sucking, to bring in a level state of calm. Gradually the hands peeled away, ”Sorry… talking about the past with another is always hard for me.”
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Days of Rememberance

Postby Zandelia on May 12th, 2014, 2:53 pm

“If you must climb then at least do it soon then,” she stated simply, she knew there would be no climbing today and the words were teasing, “at least that way we can be warmly steamed. Old muscles you know, or did you forget?” she gripped the probing fingers gently, eye still closed but appreciating the shared gesture, the lacing together.

She listened, she wasn’t very good at it she would be the first to admit. Not when it came to personal affairs that meant more than what she could get out of the person being assessed. Gossip, rumour and intrigue she knew inside out she liked to tell herself. However when it came to the opposing side of the coin – genuine empathy and the caring about another, the assisting with their problems and the navigating thereof…she held little experience indeed. Still, she had agreed to accompany Fallon upon the journey the day would hold and she would stick by her wherever it would lead. She couldn’t not if she were frankly honest with herself.

“It’s okay, I have my own sombre events that I remember, though no specific days. Sometimes one should remember them, I think. If they meant something to you. If the memories of the good outweigh the bad most importantly, if they affected you in ways that perhaps you don’t even realise” she considered, rocking her head across the rough bark a little, not sure where the thought had bubbled up from as her lips pursed in thought, eye meeting the other two without judgement, “I see no weakness in it. Before, perhaps, I may have done but now…I am beginning to think that you need to” she spoke slowly now, trying to understand the words as they came from somewhere within.

Had she been thinking about things somewhere there, inside, without really thinking about them? Was it thought that she expressed or feeling? She noted the change in the accent, so lulling in its own way. The look, almost furtive as if seeking out her opinion on the matter. She wondered if her opinion mattered because it was hers or because it could be reassuring. It was even possible that it was a portion of both, she felt the arm slip around her and slipped her own around the waist as best she could, given their position. The worried questioning, always thinking of others rather than herself. She wondered if there would be release in admitting the thoughts. Some of them, perhaps. Others would be saved for other days.

In truth it would have been easier to wonder what didn't ail her, what didn't doggedly clamp its jaws around her head and heart. The season had proven to be a trying one in many ways and she was sure that she had probably done more within it than she had managed to get done in some years of her life. What did bother her? Well there was her father and her inability to distinguish some of his traits from her own - that was a major concern. The fact that she loved Fallon and yet had also betrayed her already, or that she wasn't worthy. That all she did was seemingly bring ruin to her - present physical condition a constant reminder of that perspective. Her past failures...they constantly irked her but now more so than before...perhaps she could start with that. She breathed deeply and wondered how to put it all.

“We all have things in the past Wolf, things that bother us. Many things bother me but I can deal with most of them, though some of them are more trying than others. I am concerned also about the future – the two seem linked together,” she mused as fingers tapped an idle pattern, “what will happen…when. The days with my father taught me that if I am careless I could lose everything of value in this game we seek to play. It worries me” she didn’t have the right words, but she said the main crux of it all anyway.

She buried it deeply for the most part, tried not to think about it but there was guilt there still. It was being dragged up slowly, like a net from the riverbed, with the building of the Scars. What would be dragged up with it…she couldn’t know. More and more she was beginning to be reminded of the Crimson Edge and the deaths of all that she knew. Could she stop it from happening again? How could she claim that when she couldn’t stop herself being taken and Fallon put through such pain because of it? Did she just use people and in the end get them abused? She looked into the middle distance and the change in Fallon was all too quick, the fractured sentences and the pulling away. The pressing of hands to her face and her heart went out to the woman.

And she still thinks that I will judge her, that I would tell her she is foolish for being human… she sighed internally, wondering if on some level such small distrust was well earned even as it caused a pang of emotive pain. She put her arms around Fallon and pulled her gently, slowly so that she was resting upon her own chest and her head was beside the other’s. A comforting embrace is what she sought for though it was difficult given the circumstances.

“It’s not stupid Wolf, or at least I don’t think it is. A pretty trinket perhaps but not stupid. He was right, it does match you very well and perhaps that is why he chose it. Or perhaps you are like it because he chose it? That is reason enough to keep it I would think, to keep a connection with him of some kind. You can’t bury everything after all,” she spoke softly into the ear, “it seeps out eventually. And yes and no on the decision. It was mine to make and you didn’t force me to make it. It wasn't your fault, I didn't mean it like that. But talking with you, listening to your perspectives…I think it made me see other ways of doing things. That I didn’t have to kill him, that I didn’t have to become like him”

“A good thing too, I’m already too much like he was for comfort. I used to think many things were weaknesses and because of that I have done many things which I have grown to regret. Sunberth…eats at people. Corrupts them with its brutality maybe. The sole purpose being to survive…it leads to awful things. You showed me the value of what I used to view as weak things” she sighed then, it was time to at least admit some things aloud to herself, “loyalty, generosity, caring…a long list that I don’t really want to repeat for fear of never being able to show my face again” she looked away into the distance and almost glowered at the city below them then.

"Though at the same time I also wish I had killed him then, it would have saved you such pain and injury. And myself many hours of sleep as I try to forget..." she shook her head and trailed off into thought – that room and the words between the fists.

She sighed and sought for something else, something less melancholic that might perhaps give a needed surge of joviality before the commencement of further reflection. Further consideration. The continued weighing of the self and finding herself lacking.

“But seeing as you have difficulty talking about the past then let me do it for you, I have many stories. Hmm…I’ve told you about the Mirror. What about…oh I know! Well when I was younger and far more paranoid about the world than I am now. Yes, hard to believe I know. But anyway, I was in Lhavit. Beautiful city. With my eye I assumed I would be seen as ugly everywhere and never really thought men found me attractive enough to court. Petch perhaps, but not court. There was this man though who tried to court me, follow me and learn about me” she smiled at the foolish memory, “well I thought he was trying to capture me, or kill me. Ex-slave that I am it seemed natural. So I followed him, stalked and learned and when he was talking to a merchant called Hargal confronted him. The man soiled himself and ran off. It was only when the merchant saw how confused I was that he saw fit to tell me that the lad just wanted to get to know me” she almost cackled then, it was one of the few memories she had of purest amusement.

“I have more stories, though not as fun. I could go on all day until you feel able to talk. I can wait to learn, I plan on having enough time to do so properly. Unless you wish to remain a mystery forever, though to be fair that might work for someone like me” she spoke fondly, “you could always start small, like with how you met him?” she suggested simply, “or…tell me what it was like, the training?” she sought for subjects that were either simple or would give Fallon the opportunity to use her academic’s mind to create distance between herself and the memories.

It can help sometimes, and I can wait. I know the skeleton already, damn myself that I do. Not now Zandelia…other things are more important. Help her with what she wants. Be the assistant. The neutral counsel she can talk to about things she resolved to herself as she simply held the other woman loosely.

“Or…talk to yourself. Imagine that I am not even here. I will sit on the other side of the tree if you need me to. But I I weren’t here…what would you say to yourself? To him? What would you think? Except don’t think it, say it”
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Days of Rememberance

Postby Fallon on May 12th, 2014, 10:21 pm

It was logical, and honest. Something that the woman registered at least. A fact and knowing that such things needed to be remembered – for better or for worse – as they were the defining points of character. They shaped the world, the people and those that lived there. The emotions, the responses, the way the world took on different hues and colours. And it was perhaps such things that Fallon was still trying to run away from. Acceptance of emotions was one thing, but embracing the past for what it was proved to be a difficult task. And one that she did not want to do alone. Eyes lifted briefly, that settling upon nothing in particular but simply looking in their gaze. She found it hard to think for herself, if not for a few flickering moments, before it lowered and turned once more to the city. There was no stopping of the hold, no pull back as she let her head gently rest and the words of reassurance and truth reach her.

”But…” She paused, as if trying to find the right words, ”It is frightening to remember.” Her skin prickled at that releasing of admittance. A low exhale escaping. It was a daunting task; whilst she was happy to delve into the secrets of the world and to draw up the things long forgotten, for her own self it was a task she desperately tried to escape. Something that was becoming increasingly hard to avoid. Zandelia certainly had a way of bringing out those lingering memories forward, of brushing away the earth and drawing out what lay beneath. Compelling in its own way. Lips pursed into a line, the gaze lowering to look upon her hands and the dull throbbing of what was before her. She felt useless in her own way, weak and unable to solve the situation using logic. But, that was the way of life, ”We can’t see the future… but. The past is a dark place. I am… well you know how I feel about diving into such a place. I don’t really know what to suggest… Sorry. I… we will just have to be careful.”

She released her lips, her brow creasing into a bothered frown as the woman continued to speak. Words fell into place, the warmth of the hold soothing upon the turbulent mind. That bitterness hung though, heavy in its existence. She pressed against, gentle and the arms slowly wrapping around, a press of the fore head into the cheek. What could she say back? What could she offer to aid as strength to the woman who was so bothered? Connections, links, bonds and things that held people together – something that often was prone to laying shattered within her hands. She mumbled, ”They always break in the end though. Somehow. Always my fault…” there was the tap of the glass ball, ”Guess it’s just my way of trying to hold onto sand.”

A shuffle, she let her shoulders lean back into the chest of woman and the head rest next to hers. A gentle reach up with the hand, a knotting of fingers into the hair. She was not completely sure on how to speak, or on what to say exactly. There was a swallow, the twitch to the words within her ear. It was true, but sure as well didn’t mean she wasn’t going to at least try and bury it. That’s where it belonged. Safe, despite its forced slipping out from between the cracks. Ones that were quickly beginning to grow inside. A tremble, a nod in understanding to the conclusion on the subject of the father. To look beyond what was initially presented. There was the stealing of a glance out her eye, a checking upon the expression of the woman before she looked forward once more.

Still, it gave her some small comfort that it was alright to hold onto such things. And for that she was grateful. Her hands gave a pat, gently searching for the other and once more finding some lacing between the digits. For a moment she simply inhaled, sucking in the air and enjoying the moment of closeness. Zandelia was precious to her, she knew that much. And it was such a thing that she wanted to see grow into something more. She had spoken her words, she knew of the shared adoration between them, something that she so desperately wished to preserve. Her lips gave a curl, followed by the lightest of snorts and a mumble, ”That’s… why I want to change it.”

Her throat tightened for a moment, knuckles whitening as the fist clenched. She remembered Sunberth so vividly in her mind’s eye, the stench, the dark grasp that held over her. The fears, the worries, the pains and tortures that came with it. An element of venom rose up upon her tongue, ”It takes much, too much. So much… pain. Torment. I… hate it. The good of the world is lost, and the pure elements of youth destroyed within an instant.” The jaw tightened, an inhale, then a whistling exhale. And with that, the bubble of rage died down once more, ”I used to think I was weak, built upon uneven ground that wouldn’t do me any good. My… Hound refused to acknowledge a prospect. Only the strong live and the weak die, to quote him. Had to… throw myself into the fire and burn out those impurities. Those fears. Else, well… I was pathetic,” Shaking her head she brushed the memory aside, ”Managed to learn some courage I guess.”

She gave a sigh, a gentle nuzzle as the woman looked away. Both where tense upon the emotions, struggling upon the ideas of the past and the regrets of what had come across in those moments. A peck upon the cheek, she looked up onto that emerald eye, the blinking of a memory within her mind. And as those lips spoke, the tale of a far off land – Lhavit – and the past revealing itself for what it was. A scar, a slave, the niggling of doubts and insecurities. There was a moment of stiffening, the play through of a darker scene upon her senses. Pain, burning wrists of red. Those pleading eyes looking to protect from the harshness of the world – bright shining stones of green. Emeralds. Scar. Emerald.

A flinch came at that point, a flurry of blinks in timing to the near cackling of the woman. What had she just said? There was a smile upon her face never the less, so with that factor Fallon brought her own lips into a curl. Happiness, she liked it when the woman was so – it brought a level of calm to her turbulent soul, and in its own right was soothing. Strange how such an effect could have on another. She turned her gaze away, her hand reaching out at that point to drag the bag closer and within reach. Close now, soon.

”I would… like to share,” Fallon spoke after a chime or so of thought, ”It’s just… a daunting task. There isn’t too much to tell.” Eyes turned distant, the thoughts of simpler times playing within her mind, ”I remember… not being in Syliras that long. First spring maybe? I can’t remember exactly. Either way, I didn’t get on with the other children. Said I was wild. A witch,” she gave a mocking wriggle of fingers at that point, an element of humour creeping into her voice, ”Either way, little darlings as they were, they decided to set up a new game called hunt the witch. I… was the target. I got good at running away in my youth because of that. Either way, when looking for an escape in the bazaar, I dived underneath a table he was at insistent that the ‘witch hunters’ would get me. He rather fabulously dealt with them that day, and promptly sent them on their way. Also made me promise that if they ever bothered me again that I was allowed to run and hide behind him,” She gave a glance up to Zandelia at that point, ”It took thirteen attempts for him to realise this was a problem, and another eleven to take custody of me from that orphanage. Never bothered after that.”

“Training was… well training,”
she scratched at her jaw at that point, ”He… used to make things into a game. Of course, there was some of the more theoretical aspects taught first. A year at least of bringing me to a level of understanding that was suitable for initiation. It was hard work for him I imagine, but, he managed to pull it off. Play was a bit of an alien concept to me I remember, but, he managed to work his way around that,” Fallon shrugged, ”Things became games, what could I do with the glass ball was one. Other times, it was more of a paired thing, understanding how it worked from a practical aspect. Dice control, dealing and holding of cards, even writing with it. You had to think differently from before, more so as it was hard to see exactly where it was – sure, sensing is one thing. But knowing? It was hard to judge.” She pursed her lips, ”As I got older however… he grew a bit more distant. I had to do a lot more self-practice. But, that was fine, he was busy doing his research, and I was the assistant.”

There was a long pause after that, followed by the shaking of the head. She did not know what she would have said to him in honesty. She remembered those final moments, the cold grasp and the firm orders. The scream, the pain, of things she desperately wanted to say but never did. She felt the loose hold, a slight cocoon almost to protect her from the world. It was a hard task, one that was filled with that pang of guilt. But there Zandelia was, playing as witness to what was to be said, ”I… would…” She frowned, a deep inhale and puffing up of the chest, ”I would… tell him so much. I… don’t go, I need you here right now,” there was a tighter grasp upon the woman’s fingers as she said that.

”I would… tell him… Sorry. Sorry that I couldn’t help him more. That I could save him and ran away like a coward.” A pang of regret rested in her voice then, head tilting forward, ”That, I’m sorry that I learned bravery and courage far too late. I…” she pursed her lips, ”I would beg him of his advice if he was alive now. He was a smart man. Very smart. It was almost as if he could see the whole world for what it was and knew exactly what to do. And with a clap on the shoulder he would simply lean down and whisper,” she cleared her throat, tones dropping down slightly, the accent forced into an old remembered mimic. Although it still rolled like her own, there was still the element of quickness – chirpy almost – One day, My little, fiery, wolf, you’ll reach your hand out and grasp the world within them. For you are a bringer of change, and when you do bring it, no matter how big or small, it will be beautiful. She shook her head, ”Never really understood what he meant by that until now. Funny how things just… click into place. He had faith in me, and thus… I must have faith in what he thought. So… I guess I would finally say thank you for giving me that chance.”

An element of peace came to her at that point, an inhale and a simple slump. Dragging the bag over properly she forced herself to sit up, and begun the steady opening of it, ”Right, enough of this. You have indulged me. And now… t’is time to indulge you and move onto the second thing I wanted to do today. Now,” Her hand shimmied into it, a grasp upon something that was obviously sturdy within. A small shuffle away, a pull as she threw the canvas bag off and presented the object to Zandelia. Lips broke into a grin, the leather binding of a case as she simply held it there for the woman to take, ”I know that you turned thirty something this Spring. But I don’t know what day. I also remember you threatening to make me dance to a certain instrument. I… just…” A blush, followed by a look away, ”Uh… here? Just… I... don't know.”

And with that, Fallon simply held the lute case to the woman.

oocLol, surprise!
Lute - 55gm
Simple Instrument case (25% of instrument price) - 13.75gm
Total = 63.75gm subtracted from ledger.
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Days of Rememberance

Postby Zandelia on May 13th, 2014, 4:23 pm

“If I may borrow an altered phrase from a wise woman I once met I would say that most things in life are painful, you avoid what needs to be avoided and deal with the ones that need to be dealt with. You don’t get to choose which is which,” she felt like a hypocrite, she was a hypocrite, but it was for a decent cause for once, “no more than you get to choose to breathe. You can try not to but eventually you’ll retch and do it anyway” she responded simply.

Simple words, simple description but in some ways possessed of more meaning than many believed. Most people liked to think they were in control of their lives, they ambled along so sure of themselves. It took someone with courage to admit they had no idea what they were doing r why. Or even what had happened and how things could have been different. People liked to forget, to bury and scab over the wounds. Until the wounds proved to be far from healed and then ripped open years later after much ignorance. She had made that mistake before and only luck had saved her – luck and another’s sword arm. She didn’t want to see that happen to Fallon.

“Whichever you decide things to be I won’t disagree but if I can help with those that are dealt with then I will. I’ve never been good with such things but the least I can do is try” she offered simply, she owed it and in some ways wanted to do it. After all, isn’t that what you were supposed to do, share the burden for those you cared about?

There was little she could do but listen as Fallon seemed to relax slightly, or at least the body did as it leant into her. She knew not what was going through the mind of the other but given the long pauses and the dragged out words she assumed that it was difficult. She wondered whether it was simply the act of sharing such things or whether it was because the events themselves were difficult to reach back to and consider. As the lilting accent continued she found herself drifting, not away from the topic but instead into it – trying to imagine what it was like from Fallon’s perspective. She herself would most probably have walked away from such things and not even held a remembrance, she was that form of creature. Fallon was different and so required a different way of thinking that was difficult to understand. The closeness was all she could bring to the table she knew, just to be there if required. Still she knew words would be appreciated.

“I do not think that I like this Hound of yours, if his philosophy is to actively purge what he considers to be weakness. As if he could be the judge. I don’t see him here, suffering for the cause. I only see you trying to do the best you can. I’d say he had it the wrong way around, you’re the stronger by far…even if you don’t know what to do you still try to do something…to help people” she trailed off, nothing more needed to be said and in truth he didn’t know the closeness of the relationship between Fallon and the Hound.

Not wise to poke a wolf pack’s bonds Zandelia, leave it be. But still…his absence troubles me. He is the one who set this all in motion and yet, when we are forming and trying…where is he? Are we just a sacrificial offering in another game? Or perhaps he doesn’t care, just talks and never does… she kept the counsel to herself, her thoughts her own on the subject as she stared at the city of Sunberth.

“You are not pathetic and I will not hear anyone call you such” she muttered as the thoughts curled within.

If anything Zandelia was the more pathetic of the partnership. No true ideals to keep her comforted, not until recently. Willing to sell anything or anyone for an advantage. She hated slavers but what had she done to stop them? She knew how to fight but where had she been when needed the most? And through it all the dark rooms of the past and those small hands, the promise to guard that she had failed most abysmally at. There still had been no realisation from Fallon and, if she were honest with herself, Zandelia was not sure she wanted the other to remember. She had been young, probably the memories were buried deeply. Best left forgotten perhaps but Zandelia remembered. If there were anything she could change it would be her failures in that regard and, she resolved once more, it would not happen again. She frowned slightly as the conversation continued and further information was revealed.

A small grin at the mimicked voice and the change of rhythm in speech. The story of the lack of protection and the resolution leading into the teaching. A hard life indeed but also, in some ways, better than her own had been. She didn’t know how she had managed to get to Syliras but, on some level, she was glad. Glad that her own payment for freedom had allowed the other to gain so much more than she ever had managed to grasp at. A smile once more at that idea, it was something pleasant to hold onto in harder times and within the maelstrom of the other darker thoughts. Of course there were other benefits also, fringe benefits if she considered them. She was accorded a certain level of immediate respect and caution for one, got free drinks for another. There was also the fact that it had taught her much about what one had and could be taken away, of the price of what you wanted and that sometimes it was too high – far too high.

“All wonderful words, I think he would be proud of you. No one knows what they will do when faced with a situation and you can’t blame yourself for being a different person now than you were then,” she stated gently, “Otherwise you might as well blame yourself for everything, and me and everyone else for that matter. And he was right, of course, you already have changed things for the better. In small ways. You gave an old spy hope and one day, perhaps, a city a realisation. I think th-“ she was going to continue but thewords werecut off with the unveiling of the present.

For a while she was dumbstruck, her gaze passing from the case and to Fallon without much understanding. Fingers reached out to take the proffered item and placed it upon her lap before opening the hard wooden casing to reveal the instrument. The interior was leather wrapped over wood with – she thought – woollen padding here and there. Fingertips traced the curved body, slipped across the strings slowly to pluck at the pairs one by one, eight pairs in all. Memory flickered, of days sat at the fireplace when wood was available to burn and the teaching of simple ditties from her mother. Quiet times, personal times. Her eye fogged slightly and she blinked it away with a sad smile.

“A birthday present?” she spoke faintly, “you didn’t have…thank you Fallon. I’m not even sure that I can play anymore. Never could play very well but it is a reminder of happier times. Thank you, I will treasure it. And I will have to make good on my threats now I suppose” she managed a slight laugh then, a little gasping due to the moment.

Remember the fingers Lia, remember them. Thumb on the inside see, like this. And you use the tips of the fingers, not your whole hand yes? the words returned to her from the mists of the past.

“Yes mother” she whispered as she pulled the lute from its casing and rested upon her abdomen gently, taking extra care with the most precious of gifts.

Fingers slipped into place upon the strings awkwardly, thumb of her left hand wrapping around the back of the neck and the years of the lack of playing made the movements jerking and unnatural. Still, she could feel the familiarity deep within – it would take time to bring it forth but she was willing to devote the time for such hauntingly beautiful music. Right hand cupped above the strings of the wood’s body and thumb was tucked in and underneath the curl of the palm. She breathed deeply and tried to search within for the remembrance…something small and happy. She remembered a tune, something about a star and how it glistened in the night sky, the wondering of its purpose and origin – a child’s song.

It was a terrible attempt really, filled with miss-plucking and false-starts as memory tried to do what the hands could not imitate. She could remember the motions of the fingers, the shapes to form the chords and the way to press the strings to the fretwork but truly she was a novice when she could play and now…well she was beyond rusted. Still, she managed to hobble through until the end and despite the fact she had proven her inability she was happy, happy that some good memories had never truly died. She was more than just her father’s daughter – she was her mother’s daughter also and that woman had been kind, gentle and everything her father when he had died was the opposite of. Perhaps there was hope for her.

“I didn’t give you a time limit of this threat did I?” she asked, failing to keep a straight face completely, “but thank you. I will practise every day until I can play once more. Perhaps, one day, I will play a tavern for us”

“I have nothing to give you but myself today I’m afraid, more’s the pity for you Wolf. But, after this gesture I think there will be a mighty present for you soon”

“I…I don’t know what to say. This day was supposed to be for you Wolf…I’ll put it away now. Yes. And I can let you dictate the rest of the day. Apart from stopping me playing what did you want to do now?” she asked simply.

She had no questions, there was nothing he could say to what Fallon had said – it was personal and something that only she could resolve. Zandelia would be there but could not decide things for the woman. She closed the case and placed it down beside her, reverently almost and leant in to plant a long kiss upon Fallon’s lips.

“You know, my old mentor was ugly and stupid and cruel. I don’t have 2one now but my new compatriot is beautiful, intelligent and crafty. I would echo your words and say, simply, thank you. For the chance at being there” she smiled softly and leant back against the tree once more with a small measure of peace gleaned.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next