Completed [Pigs Foot Tavern] Those Summer Plans

Fallon is making plans for work in the summer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Pigs Foot Tavern] Those Summer Plans

Postby Fallon on May 11th, 2014, 1:59 pm

90th Spring 514AV

Fallon leaned back in her chair. For a while she had been reading the piece for a while, her eyes darting back and forth across the conditions as she internally weighed up its value. A job, and it was one that she as a mercenary could provide to. It was well within her capabilities, and she knew - despite the novice levels of her skills - she was more than capable of doing such things. The wilderness, defending, riding and controlling animals. Her lids came down into a narrow, even hunting if need be. She knew she could do it.

The season had just begun to get warm, too warm by her liking. Already in the Sunberth heat she had taken to hiding in the shade, forgoing most equipment and favouring the lighter fabrics. Shirt for one, the armour simply being slapped on over the top and the blades hung from the belt upon her waist. There was an exhale, the quickest of tugs upon the collar of her shirt with a gloved hand and then once more she returned to what was before her. The ribs still moaned their aching song, but it was near as to a full recovery as she could get - and with such notions she had to bring herself to work once more.

For a while in the murmur of the pigs foot she sat, the right hand tapping its tune upon the table top, the waving of the sheet as she inspected it carefully - if not for the occasional glance back across to the potential contractor. By all accounts he had noticed one of her fliers that she had placed up at the beginning of the season, and with a scribbled hand wrote across the back of it. And it was a request she had to clearly think through.

"So," Fallon began, feeling that accent of Bitzer brush against her. Fingers pressed the sheet upon the table top, "You require my assistance as a mercenary? Not for just one day, but for several. Out there in the Northern wilds?" She cocked her head to one side, a slight frown as she took the words into consideration, "During the summer season?" Pausing she contemplated her words, looking to choose the next ones carefully, "What exactly drew you to me for services?"
Opposite her sat a balding man, arms crossed defensively, beady eyes looking down the bridge of his crooked nose. There was a chew upon something, a click of the neck as he brought himself to respond, "Heard yeh abilities Bitzer. Gonna say, surprised to see you're a lady."
"Lot of people are,"
Fingers pinched at her brow, a long drawn out exhale as the man creaked in his chair. How old was he? Certainly into his forties, the tell tale signs of grey had managed to grace what hair was left, and the sink had begun to pinch and sag slightly around his eyes. For a moment she turned her gaze, eyes sweeping to the door and then down to the companion who sat at her heel. Orvin released a mighty yawn and let his sullen gaze turn up to his master.

"What abilities?" She finally brought herself to ask after a long moment of silence. Last thing she needed was someone catching wind of her being a mage. Then all the work of laying low in Sunberth would have been for nothing. She steeled her gaze upon him, a chew upon her lip before she slid her hand over to the tankard. A watered down ale, not that she complained - she deliberately asked for it so much to the confused expression of Merv. She was looking to quench her thirst, not be drunk when organising a potential job.
"Heard you're good with a blade," the man grunted, "Real lightning striker you are." Fallon raised a brow as he continued, "Apparently you're good at keeping to the job too. Don't change sides half way through. What's it... loyal?"

There was a shake of the head at that point, "No. There's a difference between being loyal, and then remembering who will be the one to spread the rumours and reputation about. Those who pay first, generally talk about the good job you do. Besides," She took a slurp from her drink at that point, "The second ones to offer are the ones that like to try and back stab me later. Messy stuff that. So, how can I and my services help you?"
Last edited by Fallon on June 2nd, 2014, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on June 2nd, 2014, 10:09 am

For a moment the man seemed to squirm, animated by the posing of her question and her rather matter of fact comment. She eyed him simply over the rim of her tankard, lids coming down to a narrow as she simply watched. How peculiar, was he afraid that she was going to be tested in some form or another? That she would have to consider the nature of the contract and pick another path. Lowering the beverage with a firm thud, she leaned back a groan of wood as she rocked upon the chair. Fingers stroked upon Orvin's skull when his head rose once more, the fingers leading round down the sockets and to the jaw.

"I need some mercenaries, a team of them. Neutral partied, no ties to the big names," Laced her fingers together, her eyes staring sharply onto him as he spoke his reasons. And inside there was a silent count within her head, picking out the key points as to what was actually required of her, "Going to be out the city for a few days, going to need someone who doesn't mind the natural sort of getting rough either and willing to get muddy."
"Good thing I like getting dirty,"
she gave a wiry smile, and watched the man nervously laugh.
"Yeah... well lass," he hastily continued, "Going to be out there for a whil-"
"How long? And when?"

"Seven, maybe eight days?"
Her eyes flickered down to his sweating palms, her brow only raising but nothing being spoken, "Be in the summer obviously, need to finalise some dates but thinking during the second quarter." There was a chew upon the lip at that point her eyes darting about as she attempted to calculate it. She knew there was ninety days in a season, so dividing that by four meant that he was aiming for after the twenty-second. Frowning she looked at him quite firmly, "Seems a bit early to be calling in for mercenaries."
"Not really, you're the first I've contacted about this job and for the team. Going to need a few for this one to keep things in line. But, need them to stay married to it regardless of what it is."

For a while she was silent, carefully going through the information with a fine tooth comb. Team work, possible strangers or familiar faces. Got to be able to work together as a group, but it also suggested there would be someone left in charge. But over how many? And what sort of numbers did he want? If she was to have her own way she would have slipped members of the Scars in, it would have killed two birds with one stone - firstly serving as an opportunity for coin and secondly for a chance to weigh up their strength as a unit. That was a point actually, "How many people are you thinking on getting together for this? And how much you going to pay?"

It was always an important factor to consider even she knew that much. He seemed to be counting now, brow furrowed fingers flexing as he worked it out, "Two teams of five. So ten hands in total. Thinking on doing ten gold a day, so you're looking at seventy to eighty for this stint. Work hard and maybe you'll get extra. Sound like fair prices to you?"
"If it wasn't I would have told you by now,"
she gave a smile, her right hand flexing slightly within the leather gloves. For a moment there was a twinge of discomfort, the fingers pinching in inwards before they eased off. She gave him only a nod to continue.
"Night and Day watch teams, might have guessed that. Got to keep things running smooth around the clock. And safe. Specially the stuff."

So there was cargo of some form or another. Not that he specified what it was. Plus the fact that it was out into the wilderness did raise suspicions as to the exact nature of it. Why for so long? A hunting party? If so then what for exactly? She gave a chew upon her lip, the thinking expression clear upon her face. She needed more information, "So, why no ties to the big names?"
"'Cos it's work for a big name."
"Which one? Who is it for?"
"Daggerhand."
Fallon paused at the utterance of that name, her brow rose and her lids pinched slightly. Slowly, she spoke, "Surprised the Daggerhand don't... use their own or their favoured mercenaries."
"Well, someone keeps snuffing them out."
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on June 2nd, 2014, 10:09 am

Picking up the tankard once more she took a sip of the water down ale and held it there for a while whilst forcing down the curling of lips. With a mumble into it she spoke, "You keep avoiding what the actual task is though. Sounds pretty unusual so far, and I don't like unusual - nor do I like not knowing. You don't tell me things, then I can't prepare myself. Can't prepare myself then I can't work at my best. If I can't work at my best, then... well," She gave a shrug at that point, and firmly placed the tankard down, "Help me, and I help you. It's how I work."

There was a long pause as he gave a glance, reluctant almost to share the information. Not that it mattered too much, she already managed to pick out key points where she could. The Daggerhand, it would be useful to get inside of the job on the chance of learning more information. And maybe - if done right - it could be an opportunity to place a nasty sting against them and take whatever this presently unknown 'stuff' was. Either way, this client was beginning to prove reluctant with his words - taking blood from a stone would have been the apt phrase in this case.

Fallon placed her hands down flatly upon the table surface to push herself up, voice rolling from her lips "Well... as you are so reluctant to tell me, I'm afraid I can' t he-"
"Wait. Sit. Please, if you do not mind,"
the words baited and snagged popped up in Fallon's mind. Looking at him from beneath her brow she held it, lids narrowed and her head tilted to one side. He gave a gesture back down to the chair. She gave a wolfish smile, eyes sharpening as they focused down upon the man. She watched him swallow again, his voice lowering as she brought herself back in to seating. Leaning in she brought both hands up, fingers lacing together as she gave only the encouraging nod. In return he gave a whisper, "Picking up slaves from an out of city client."

Her eyes narrowed at that point, her chin lifting as she took him into her gaze. Slaves, unusual to call 'stuff'. And the very notion of such an idea made her skin writhe. She knew why, the truth, the disgust, the feelings that came in with being forced into chains. Her jaw tightened for a moment and then eased off, her own voice dropping into a whisper, "You have my attention. So you require drivers, hunters and people to make sure they keep in line? But why the wilds? And why so long?"
"Don't know about that one,"
he scratched his greying stubble, "Maybe there's a lot to go through. Chainers and traders after all like to check stock. Wait... I have your attention?"
Fallon gave him a nod in response with her voice purring, "You do indeed. Very much so..." Behind the creased features, thoughts were turning. Schemes, ideas and plans in order to create some much needed havoc for the Daggerhand. Licking her lips she paused and looked upon him, "Very... I believe... I will be able to offer my skills to such an excursion. Definitely." At that point she extended a hand to him to shake, a sealing of the deal between them. Gingerly the man took it, and she continued "You may have to contact me closer to the time of course. A reminder if you will."
"Of course. Of course, I... address it to you as Bitzer, right?"
"Correct,"
She gave a firm squeeze then released it, "And if you have any further questions. Well, I'm sure you'll be able to contact me. Just make sure you have the gold to cover things, no?" A nervous laugh, the man quickly stood with a broad grin upon his face and made his way to the exit with a series of rapid nods. Fallon only watched him leave and then promptly exhaled.

Taking a look down to Orvin she gave him a firm pat upon the head and once more drunk from the watered down ale, "Well... I don't know about you, but I think things may have just gotten interesting."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ablation on June 18th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Grade Awarded!

Fallon :
Skills

Skill Points
Deduction +1
Investigation +2

Lores

✦ Developing a Reputation: Loyalty
    ✦ Summer Job for Daggerhands
    ✦ Daggerhands: Dying Mercenaries
    ✦ Summer Job: Picking up Slaves

Please don't be afraid to PM me with any questions ^-^ and please don't forget to remove your grading request from the list.

Thanks to Alia for the exquisite template!

Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office