[The Great Bazaar] Criminal Minds Think Alike [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ash'eny on September 22nd, 2010, 2:36 am

Timestamp: Day 6 of Fall, AV 510
Purpose: N/A

"Could yeh spare a few copper m'good sir?"

The young man was huddled against the wall, his brown hooded cloak pulled over his head, the cloak itself was stitched heavily, patched everywhere, incredibly worn. The cloak appeared to have been nearly exhausted on countless days on the streets, and the person wearing it looked about the same. His face was smothered in dirt. Ash'eny's left hand was held outwards to a man as he passed by, tugging lightly on his shirt as he moved. Begging for a few coins, that was all he asked for.

"Stop it Beggar, leave me be or I'll call the knights on you."

"I beg your pardon. Sorry, sorry." Ash'eny muttered under his breath as the man grunted, cursed up a soft spoken storm and wandered away. Ash'eny pulled his four fingered hand back inside the covering of his cloak. His positioning wasn't actually that well placed for begging to be honest. Ash'eny was situated between a middle aged man with fairly powerful muscular build selling trinkets of some sort of metal and a blind woman selling pottery. If Ash'eny truly wanted to earn some cash he would have situated himself closer towards crowds, more popular stands.

Another person walked nearby. Ash'eny again reached out to tug on their clothing in attempt to get their attention, and hopefully their sympathy. " 'Scuse me. Mind parting with coin for a man down on him luck?" Sometimes Ash'eny felt guilty for begging and stealing, but he survived, it was worth it.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyahna Sasin on September 22nd, 2010, 6:35 am

Wandering the bazaar, Sasin wondered just what he was going to do. He had been making far too little, and was going broke. You'd think that not needing to buy food would help a little, but alas, no.

Speaking of money.... He smirked as a beggar tugged on the coat tails of the man who he was following. Ah, perfect. A distraction. He came up to the two of them just as the man scowled at the beggar. "Yes, actually, I do." The man said. Sasin paused, glancing down at the beggar, then at the man. "Is this man bothering you? I'm sure the knights would be more than happy to help." He said, his fingers lifting the coinpurse from the man.

His victim shook his head. "Get a job, you lazy vagabond." With that, he stalked away. Smirking, Sasin poured out the contents of the mans purse into his hand. Ten gold, and a few assorted silvers and bronze. Slipping them into his own pouch, he picked out four gold, and handed them to the beggar. "For your assistance, and your silence." He said, his fingers tapping his knife.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ash'eny on September 22nd, 2010, 2:33 pm

Ash'eny recoiled cowardly as the man spurned him. That was twice now that he was not only denied, but almost violently so. He sighed, but then there was a lot of subtle actions going on. A man he'd never seen before, Sasin, had some wandering fingers of his own, and he wasn't too shabby. Ash'eny, being the fairly competent thief he was, was not blinded by this trick. As the target wandered off, Ash'eny would follow him with his eyes, then he was gone. Ash'eny could give up the poor man illusion for a moment.

"That's quite a skill you have there friend. If I myself was a man of morals, I might have done something." He grinned as the four coins fell into the palm of his hand. "But as it is, I cannot so easily turn down a few free coins. The name's Tolby." The lie, the same lie Ash'eny always told, the same lie that was used so often that every time he used it, he himself believed it. It was his other half, the stealing, cheating, lying, law breaking half of Ash'eny. Ash'eny was the good one, the man and not the beggar.

Ash'eny's eyes wandered to the knife that Sasin was tapping. It wasn't so much as a bribe now, but a threat on his life. It would be highly unlikely for anyone to knife another in the Great Bazaar, the place was packed, Knights were wandering their trickling paths through the crowds. It would be foolish. Ash'eny's expression halted a moment, turning to that of a dull concentration, then he smiled again. "You are persuasive indeed friend. But I find such motivation unnecessary." Ash'eny could have pulled out his own knife in retaliation, and he had an 'ace up hi sleeve', so to say. He could get away, Sasin was in more danger than he expected. Especially if he had assumed Ash'eny to only be a beggar.

Still though, there was work to be done, Ash'eny needed to be here, no matter what trivial thieves did, said, or threatened.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eanos on September 22nd, 2010, 3:57 pm

There was little about the Bazaar which Eanos enjoyed. Certainly he didn't like the crowds or the bustle. Sometimes he endured it because he could not bear to be on his own any more and just needed to be somewhere that was busy. Sometimes it might be a tavern, sometimes it might be here.

Sometimes though he had a reason to be here and this day was one of them. The one thing he did like about the Bazaar was the fact that it was in the castle, so he did not need to venture out of doors but instead stay in the comfort of the underground.

This day he was working the market as he did from time to time, targeting those he judged most likey to be selling wares of a more dubious provenence, and who were therefore most likely to be willing to sell under market value.

The words were almost rote by now as they spilled from his lips. This stall seemed quite unlikely to have what he wanted, but that didn't matter, what mattered was that the stall holder sold things of metal and might have contacts who needed things shifting. He ignored for now the byplay going on between beggar and bystander though only a fool would miss the tension.

"I'm looking for gold and silver," he'd opened the conversation with the stallholder, loud enough to be heard but not shouting it out. "Broken rings or anything like that? Things which could be melted down?" It was an innocent enough question, but to those whom he was looking for, the opportunity would be obvious. "I've good coin if you've got what I want."

It seemed to be another rejection for he was met with a shaking head to which Eanos shrugged. "If you find some then you can find me at the Ironworks," he replied to the stallholder. "The name is Eanos, anyone there will be able to find me for you. I've got some projects waiting so anything you bring will be melted down pretty much on the spot."

Now where? He allowed his attention to wander back to the Bazaar as he looked around for his next prospect.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nyahna Sasin on September 23rd, 2010, 12:35 am

"You are persuasive indeed friend. But I find such motivation unnecessary."

Sasin smirked, and nodded. He had no desire to harm this beggar, and would much rather keep clear of the knights.

Glancing at the man, he noticed something strange. To him, this beggar appeared to him to be a fit, young, able man. The only oddity was his missing pinky, and he doubted that would stop him from doing any job.

Moving to the side so that others could pass, he raised an eyebrow at him. "So, what brings you to the bazaar? I was under the impression that the knights wanted every able bodied person to be up and about, giving back to the community?" He said, just a hint of sarcasm slipping into the last part.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ash'eny on September 23rd, 2010, 1:33 am

Ash'eny broke his attention on Sasin for a moment as he listened to a man he had been watching discreetly, or rather a man (Isur to be exact, but Ash'eny didn't know the difference) that had approached the very target he'd been listening to. The metalwork salesman was suspicious, his wares were trivial, blatantly overpriced, and rare. He only had a few trinkets, but it was painfully obvious that the man had no intention to sell them. They were dozens of gold mizas apiece, no real value, small statuettes. You'd have to be insanely rich, obsessive, and insane to actually buy from him. 'Eanos...' Ash'eny listened to the name, the voice, repeated it to himself, memorization. If this man was what he was looking for, he would indeed look him up.

Ash'eny assumed the Isur wasn't talking to the beggar though. After a few moments of staring at Eanos Ash'eny turned back to face Sasin. "I believe your impressions are correct. The Knights do wish it. I assume begging and stealing are both frowned upon in Syliras." Ash'eny chuckled lightly as he lowered his head, pulling the hood down enough to hide a portion of his face in shadow. Ash'eny also noted that the man did not reveal his own name when asked. Perhaps it was a defense mechanism, perhaps he merely missed Ash'eny's introduction and request for his name. Ash'eny was finding many interesting folks today.

Then, without another word to Sasin, Ash'eny stood up and walked off, taking a moment to stop behind Eanos and rest his hand on the Isur's right shoulder, gave it a firm squeeze and whispered in his ear. "Alms for the poor?" Ash'eny then continued on his path. He wanted to get the man's attention for a few reasons, most of which he would, inevitably, be innocent of. Ash'eny made his simple move to appear no more than a shift in location, moving a few stalls down and again placing himself in a comfortable corner and rested himself, hoping Eanos would catch on to his attempt at snatching his attention and follow.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eanos on September 23rd, 2010, 9:02 am

Since being in the city, Eanos had become accustomed to learning a number of new phrases, all of them new to his experience. The technique he'd been using in the Bazaar and in the taverns was he thought something called fishing. It was a curious turn of phrase but one he now understood now that he'd learned something of how the fishermen at sea. It wasn't that he'd never heard some of these phrases before coming here, just that it gave a fresh viewpoint on them.

However, when he glanced back and inevitably up as a voice whispered in his ear, there seemed no obvious connection between the request for money and the fact that the man didn't wait around to see if he would be lucky. In truth normally he'd have been singularly unsuccessful, but the words and actions obviously had a very different meaning and one which was clear enough to the Isur.

Perhaps at last he had caught a new fish, or at least found a guide who might move him closer to a place where he might catch them. Eanos wasn't foolish enough to believe in such things as honour between thieves, but he did believe in working for a mutual benefit, so while there might not be trust, still it was possible to do business.

He waited for a moment and then followed to stand close to where the beggar had set himself up once more. At least he chose to sit down again so that Eanos wouldn't have to look up at him. Now that he took the time to consider where the man chose to sit, it seemed an odd choice of placement, one which reminded Eanos of how he used to sit when practising his auristics on passers by - an observer not a participant.

He fingered a silver miza and tossed it to the man, a token not generous but not completely niggardly either. "It would seem that a man ought to earn his pay," he commented, more for anyone standing by and to start a conversation if the man really had intended it.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Grayzdo Briety on September 24th, 2010, 11:09 am

Grayzdo stood at the entrance of the Great Bazaar. He was wearing a gray cloak and black robe with odd dirty colored sandals. His white hair tied up in the back and he had lost his tan so his skin was a odd color odd to Graydo anways. He kept his few mizas tied in a empty waterskin to him to avoid his money being stolen.

He looked about to see if anything interested him and he noticed a Isur talking about something to do with Metal so he wandered over to him and said "Hello you know where I can get some Isurian steel for cheap?" this wasn't much of a conversation as he was standing to the man's side as the man would have to adjust himself to see Grayzdo's face. The young human waited for a responce from this man not sure if he'd heard him.
Grayzdo Briety
Novice Disguiser

Words: 12937
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Character sheet

Postby Nyahna Sasin on September 27th, 2010, 1:44 am

Acutely aware that he had lost the beggars attention, he let his gaze follow the beggars, resting on an isurian. He frowned, uneasiness stirring in him. Something was off here. He stepped to the side as the beggar stood, and walked over to the isurian. Curiouser and curiouser.

He followed them at a distance, close enough that he could here what they were saying, yet far enough that he could make a quick getaway if needed. As another man moved towards the isurian, he stepped forward, touching the newcomers arm. "Best not to interfere friend. They seem to be talking business."
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Grayzdo Briety on September 27th, 2010, 3:01 am

OOCAssuming Sasin is in human form than Grayzdo is one foot and one inch taller than him

A hand reached up out of the crowd and grabbed onto him. His eyes aimed at the Isur suddenly a few words were spoke to him and his attention turned to the shortman and he stood with a blank expression on his face while he tried to register what the man had said. Suddenly he remembered something about the Isur and doing business. The Taller man let a sigh out as a passer by bumped into him. He took a few moments to come up with a responce and he said " 'Spose you want to sell me something instead?" thinking all this man wanted was what few mizas he had worked hard for.
Grayzdo Briety
Novice Disguiser

Words: 12937
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Character sheet

Next