Completed Fracture Lines

Peace does not mean peace of mind.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Fracture Lines

Postby Isana Lin on May 25th, 2014, 9:17 pm

64th of Spring, 514 AV
Continued from The Night Watch.

Tamson was not among them. Oh, he walked next to them surely enough, but his mind was somewhere else altogether. Isana could see it in his eyes. The squire walked in a haze, eyes wide and staring, but seeing precious little of the walls on which they walked. His hands hung loose at his side, scabbard flicking back and forth like a pendulum with each meandering step. Isana said nothing, eyes flickering to the blood that soaked her hands and mail, staggering on next to Varner. What did you say at a time like this?

"You did well lad." Varner rested a hand on the young man's shoulder, face for once free of his hood. He'd recovered quickly, Varner, his stride slowly regaining its earlier vigour as their feet carried them from the Broken Casket like an athlete shaking off an aching muscle. Tamson said nothing, eyes staring ahead, silent save for the clatter of his shifting plate. Then, that was to be expected.

Death had a way of hanging over you, long after you left the bodies behind. You could train all you liked, swing steel against dummies from first light to last every day you lived, but nothing ever quite prepared you for the first time you saw a blade split human flesh. There was a moment there that banished any illusion of fine technique, of careful craftsmanship to the trade of war.

Certainly, there was skill enough involved, she warranted - the existence of the knights was proof of that – but theirs was not a subtle art. Some coped with that reality better than others. Some threw their swords away in dismay, took up careers as farmers and bakers, but they were a minority. Most, like Tamson, simply grew quiet for a time while their mind caught up with the reality of what they had seen. Then, there were an altogether blacker sort who simply laughed and lived for the day they would see it again. Those, Vathan had once told her, were the type of twisted creatures who were more beast than man.

"Will he live?" Tamson's voice was flat, little more than a whisper. "The one they attacked."
"Not my place to say." Varner shrugged. "Could be that he does, if the healer knows his trade. Depends on how deep the blade went. It's a hard thing to guess at."
"It seems like a waste." Tamson said. "For him to die."
"Few enough deaths that aren't." Varner retracted the hand from Tamson's shoulder, wheeling the squire to face him. Isana simply watched, too preoccupied with the ache in her throat, pulsing with each breath, to speak. The haze of the fight had long since departed and now all she wanted to do was lie down on something soft and sleep until the pain past into memory. Varner continued.

"You did right, lad. There's few things more wasteful than a death uncalled for, but those men tonight, they would've killed again. Maybe not here, maybe not tonight, but you can bet your blade they would have. We saved more lives than we took tonight, you hear me?"
"Yes, ser." Tamson blinked. It was the most emotion he'd shown since they left the bloodstained floors of the Casket behind them.
"Good. You remember that." For a moment he looked as though he would say more, then Varner turned back toward Bittern, slipping up the hood of his cloak and raising one finger toward the towering district. "What am I pointing at?"
Last edited by Isana Lin on June 11th, 2014, 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On indefinite leave, but still checks in from time to time.
Isana Lin
The Snark Knight

Words: 113969
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Fracture Lines

Postby Isana Lin on June 9th, 2014, 10:37 pm

If nothing else, Isana had to admire his commitment. All the way through the long walk to the armoury, even as they tugged sweat-encrusted armour from their bodies and wiped the blood from their weapons, Varner talked. He talked as they packed the metal carefully away, restoring it to its rightful place among the racks, prodding her painfully in the ribs with a scabbard as her eyelids drifted shut and her mind slowed. He talked as they rose again, Isana leaning heavily on his shoulder as her vision swam and bucked like a new rider wrestling with a Tiaden.

He talked throughout the slow, staggering walk to Bittern District, chattering away as they climbed the stairwell to the Squire's Dormitories. He talked and talked – of everything; of the ships bobbing and jostling in the docks, of the ports to which they were bound, of the training to come, of those and a dozen other meaningless things that washed over Isana like the wind skittering over the parapet, biting without the comforting presence of her armour. All of it got little response from the stone-faced Tamson, but Varner and continued talking regardless, dragging replies from his squire like a miner dragging gold from the earth.

It was not until he had bidden the younger man goodnight and the door to the dormitories slid closed before him that Varner finally stilled his tongue. Slumped against the stone walls, dark rings hanging beneath his eyes, the knight looked far older than his years warranted. Isana would have slumped opposite him, but she knew that if she did she would end up sprawled on the floor. She contended herself with leaning against the wall, cold stone pressing against her back.

"Bastard." The word slipped from Varner's lips like a drop of venom, heavy and slow. "Saved me, you know. Bearded bastard had a knife coming right at me and Tamson pushed his arm aside. Hit the plate instead." He rubbed a hand over his shoulder at the memory.
"I didn't notice." Speech felt like dragging a ball of wax through her throat, clumsy and awkward. "I am afraid I was otherwise engaged."
"So you were." Blue eyes skated over her, seeming to weigh her. "It's not right, Isana."
"That we fight?" Isana frowned through the grogginess. "It's what we train for. It's what Tamson trained for."
"Not the fighting. I know about the fighting. Fought for far worse things, too." Varner eyed a torch, flickering in its bracket. Isana tried not to follow his gaze, staring at the carefully assembled stones that made up the floor, locking and sliding together, all part of the greater whole. If only unifying people were so simple.

"It's not right that Tamson should be the one to save me in there. I'm his patron. I'm meant to be getting him out of danger, not pushing him into it ahead of me!"
"And it would be preferable then, that he was not there?" Is this what all that was about? It was far, far too late in the night to deal with Varner's misplaced guilt. "Better that you died at a dagger's point tonight, and me along with you?"
"That is not what I meant, Isana." He sighed. "He is young to fight those battles is all."
"Battles are best fought by the young." If she were honest, Tamson was not significantly younger than she by weight of years. Somehow; though, years seemed to count for very little.
"Perhaps. That does not make it right."
"If he is to be a knight he must see it sooner or later." She gave as much a shrug as her shoulders could manage. She doubted Varner even saw it in the firelight. Would you have us coddle them, Varner? Keep them locked within the dormitories, safe from the responsibilities of the world? Sylir knew that fate was worse than one found at the point of a sword.

"Later would be better, I think." His gaze lingered on the wooden door. "For all concerned."
Isana Lin
The Snark Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Fracture Lines

Postby Isana Lin on June 11th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Strange, how one could be utterly exhausted yet, at the same time, unable to contemplate rest. The corridors were all but empty by the time Isana shuffled her way atop the training grounds. Varner had made his apologies and ascended to the stairs of Dyres to his quarters, somewhere among the twisting upper hallways of the district. No doubt he would have stayed longer, but Isana had waved the man away after their conversation outside the dormitory. It was hard to say how long the pair of them had sat there, slumped in the corridor, before the senior knight had extended an arm and hauled them both to their shaking feet. Isana's limbs still ached, and the stairs to the training grounds had seemed twice their usual height, but she had made the ascent.

Isana perched atop the stairs for a long moment, teeth gritted, one hand on the stone wall, one clutched at her side, trying to decide whether gasping was worth the shot of pain from her ribs. She sucked a scrambling breath, wincing at the corresponding surge of discomfort from her side, curled a hand into a fist, drew another. She had been hurt worse than this. Far worse. Some comfort that is. Finally, the pain settled to an ache and she raised her head to the empty grounds before her.

It was the first time she had seen it silent. To some part of her that came as a surprise. No weaponsmasters stalking the simulated avenues, no patrons chuckling encouragement, no squires grunting in exertion. Training dummies sat still on their posts, for once victorious over their sleeping opponents of flesh, silent sentries staring at her with blind eyes.

Weapon racks were locked and stowed, steel spear-points carefully packed and oiled, blades resting in their scabbards, distant leaves of the forest arena shifting in the cool night air. Weaponsmasters were, it seemed, as careful as ever. Even at the heart of the order's strength, they saw fit to secure their weapons. Their vigilance left a strange void in the training grounds. The clash of steel was the voice of the grounds, without it, it felt as though the soul had been ripped out of the place. Beyond the green splotch of the training grounds, Syiras perched on the land like a stain, a scab of a city surrounded by the uniform patterns of forest, field, and sea. Pretty enough, if you liked stone, but she was in no mood to appreciate the view.

Isana paid no heed to the gaze of the dummies, slid along the wall to the heavy door behind which the ground's weapons waited. She gave it a quick tug, confirming what she had already suspected. Locked. Isana scowled, eyes searching the grounds for the familiar silhouette of Antinous, and saw only stars and flickering torches. No, she would find no answers here, no mystical reason why the wildman should have battered the three of them with almost casual ease. Perhaps it had been foolish to come here seeking it. If she were honest with herself, she already knew the answer. It was etched in every axe-scarred dummy, every sweat-laced grain of sand.

Practice.

She had not done enough, and every aching bone in her body knew it, every slowly darkening bruise. She had walked in to the city as unprepared as a newborn pup, and she had been beaten like one. Only Dira's grace and the timely presence of a savage, of all things, had saved her, no skill of her own, no great act of courage. Anyone else would have called it luck, but Isana knew better. The situation had been entirely of her own making. Entirely her own fault. She had lost control of the field, and nearly lost far more as a result. The failing was hers, and she could accept that, luck be damned. Providence had saved her once. She would not rely on it a second time.

The myrian's words drifted back to her, carried in the whispering of the trees. Fighting like a child. Isana's eyes darted over the training grounds, the city, the fields beyond, wishing nothing more than to prove him wrong. How, she was not yet sure, but there would be a way. She was certain of it.

Only a handful of torches still burnt in the city below when she finally dragged herself downstairs to her quarters and her waiting, singed, bed, studiously avoiding the training ground's erstwhile forest.

Isana Lin
The Snark Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Fracture Lines

Postby Radiant on June 13th, 2014, 8:28 am

Isana :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Endurance +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Tamson: Scarred By The Sight Of Battle
Varner: Patrons Should Be The One To Protect Their Squires

Loots

Notes :
A nice wrap-up to the previous thread, Isana! Such drama, much wow! :D

Enjoy your grades! :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)