PM to join Red Diamond's Driving Me Nuts (Rosela)

A desert nomad and a fashion designer meet. It doesn't work out.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Red Diamond's Driving Me Nuts (Rosela)

Postby Hirem on June 3rd, 2014, 5:29 pm

6th of Summer, 514 AV

It was an uncomfortable revelation, to wake up one day and realize that your clothes stunk.

For three years Hirem hadn't minded the stench - he had always been possessed with far greater concerns - but, for some reason, this morning he could not bring himself to put on his tunic, breeches, coat... all of it was disgusting. He stared over the side of his bed at the pile of clothing and felt revulsion, staring in horror at the completely sweat-through tunic and wondering why he had never thought to purchase clothes before leaving Yahebah for the last time. Not only did his clothes smell, but they also were appalling to the eye; torn, ripped in many places, splattered with dirt and grime, creased a hundred times over. He was pretty sure now, looking at his breeches, that he had once sat down in manure and never realized that it was there.

And, truthfully, he had never cared before whether or not his clothes had stunk, for he had lived alone in the desert and only made contact with people once every fortnight. Those were the days of dust and darkness, days where his only goal was to make it to the next sand dune alive. The clothes that he wore were not garments meant to present himself to the world, but weary travellers joining him on his miserable journey. Those were simpler days. But now he lived in Riverfall, a vibrant city overflowing with life, constantly bringing in new guests from the grasslands or the Suvan Sea. This was a city that prided itself on activity, where who you are was less important than what you did. And, to some Rivarians, the fact that Hirem dressed himself this way instantly made him deserving of contempt - they averted their gaze from him, wrinkled their nose, did everything they could do remove themselves from his presence.

Or perhaps they were just trying to distance themselves from the smell? Oh good Yahal, you must be filled with patience, to tolerate guiding one that stinks as much as I!

After he laid eyes upon his clothes and felt only disgust, Hirem knew that the time had come to purchase another outfit. The idea of purchasing apparel was strange for him to consider, but it's not like he was unaware of the service - Yahebah's Sweet Reams had been the business he originally obtained this outfit from - he was more just unused to the idea of buying anything. For so long, all I have done with my mizas is guard them zealously against thieves and pay for bread, meat, water... I haven't bought anything for the sake of buying something since I left Yahebah for Hai. Briefly, Hirem looked at his dwindling supply of coins and wondered whether or not he could really afford another set of clothing - but the stench was so awful, it overpowered other concerns. I will make the money back by working twice as hard this season!

Now came time for another important question: where, exactly, would he buy the clothes? He had been living in Riverfall for over 40 days, but never once had stopped to peruse the many shops available in the city. Reaching for his oft-used scroll of welcome, Hirem set the parchment on his lap and scanned the city's map intently, trying to find someplace affordable. Loads of Leather...? They might have something I'd like, I suppose. The Zhongjie would likely have some cheap wares for sale - what is this Red Diamond Fashions? Furrowing his brow, Hirem peered intently at the shop's location on his map. They make it sound like the shop is only for the wealthy... but it's the only place in the city listed as selling clothes exclusively. They must have something for me.

A bell later, Hirem found himself standing outside the shop and feeling a curious sense of dread wash over him. It wasn't like the shop exterior was anything to be frightened by - small, ivy-covered, with lavish looking gowns and tunics hanging in the windows. Instead his eyes were transfixed by the red diamond sign that hung over the entrance. Though this was the middle of a hot day, with the bright sun pillared high above the blue sky, the Benshiran felt a shiver echo through his body and leave, chattering, through his teeth. His skin was crawling, and he felt a queer sensation of malice emanating from this building. I will not like what I find in there, he decided, already suspicious of some strange magician working inside the shop. But Yahal has led me to their doorstep, so the least I could do is knock upon the door.

Mustering his courage, Hirem entered the shop.

He was immediately struck by the surprising size of the business, the cozy walls outside deceiving him into thinking that the Red Diamond would be tightly confined. His eyes wandered through the racks upon racks of clothing and gawped at what he saw there: stark colour, dizzying partners, bizarre choices of style. It was more clothing gathered in one place than he had ever seen in his life, and of an impressive standard - the only time Hirem had come into contact with more lavishness was the Festival of Dira, in Ahnatep. His feet were already unconsciously moving towards the nearest shelf of clothing, his grimy fingers reaching out and touching a freshly made leather cuirass. "Hello?" he called out, still utterly distracted by the fashion.

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Rosela on June 11th, 2014, 7:36 pm

E
E
Rosela could easily admit she was having a good day. The sun was shining, it was gloriously warm, and her pouty face must have worked on Courlut last night, because a still-cooling breakfast had been left out for her that morning. It was his day off today, meaning there was little to no reason to stay cooped up in the house.

The ‘new house’ sheen had somewhat worn off in the past season, and she had become increasingly aware of how much she needed Courlut’s bultering. The place seemed to attract dust and there were spiders everywhere. After some investigating, she'd gotten some hope the problem would eventually go away once all the nests and old hiding places were cleared out. The thought of spider nests in her home still made her shudder, but both Courlut and the shadows were on high alert to find the little demons.

As it was, however, she’d seen no spiders that day, and after a quick stroll around her courtyard, she was out and headed to the shop in her new dress for the season – one she'd named her Sun Dress. It wasn't actually a sundress, but it's warm yellow and gold made her think of Syna. Silky chiffon and daring gold embroidery had made it one of the most expensive dress in her closet, but it made her feel…powerful. Wealthy. As though she’d finally made it back to the top after crawling out of that dirty carriage at the city gates almost two years ago.

While she didn’t normally drop in on Hudon as he manned the desk, it never hurt to make sure things were moving smoothly and he was having no trouble. She saw a dark figure pass through the doors of her shop just as she turned the corner, and sped up her pace, hoping to catch Hudon in action as he greeted a customer. She couldn’t help but open the door with a little flair – the dress simply required it – and saw several increasingly irritating aspects of the situation in rapid succession.

First, Hudon was not at the front desk, nor was he immediately seen in the surrounding room.

Second, the customer who had preceded her was clearly, and repulsively, Benshira.

Third, the Benshira was smelly, dirty, and was currently reflecting his people’s hideously poor fashion sense.

A moment passed as she stared in shocked silence, jarringly broken by Hudon suddenly bursting through the back door, arms full of folded trousers.

“Sorry about that! Just went back to- Oh, Miss Rosela? Are you two…”

The idea Hudon had borne was too terrible to allow to be spoken, and an abrupt ”No!” rushed from her throat. Clearing her throat discreetly, she straightened herself and made an effort to look away from the affront fingering one of the new leather armor pieces.

“Oh, um… Well then, welcome to Red Diamond Fashions! Are you looking for anything specific today or just browsing?” Hudon recovered more gracefully and greeted the Benshira as Rosela moved with false nonchalance to inspect the front desk.
E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hirem on June 12th, 2014, 1:34 am

He might have lived happily in that realm of colour and fragrance and soft clothing for the rest of his life, if he could. The reality that this store, the Red Diamond, inhabited was vastly different when compared to the existence he had lived thus far. His was the domain of sand, dust, dirt, ash, heat, and death. It was a world that ensnared all who dwelt inside of it with the constant needs of survival, chaining them as completely as cold iron might have. In the Burning Lands, if you weren't willing to work hard and leave camp quickly, then you would be forced instead into an early grave. But here... the Red Diamond whispered of a different lifestyle. One of fancy and grace, where the freedom to wear what you chose was your most important gift. It was almost childish, compared to the brutal life Hirem had led in Eyktol, but he found the change of scenery enormously comforting. He smiled as he stared past the leather cuirass in front of him and into the racks beyond racks of clothes, wondering what it must have been like to grow up with such finery readily available.

But his tranquility was not to last. The door behind him cracked open, spilling light into Hirem's peaceful world, forcing him to turn around with his brow furrowed. All he saw standing in the doorway was, thanks to the glare coming from outside, a splash of yellow and tan upon the canvas of the world. At the same time, another door inside the shop exploded with activity, drawing the Benshiran's gaze over to, what looked to be, an Akalak shopkeeper preoccupied with a small pile of clothing. The Akalak man immediately struck him as both handsome and fashionable, and even though Hirem had not exchanged a single word with him yet, he felt that he already liked this desk clerk. Moving his gaze back to the doorway, Hirem refocused his eyes and stared at the newly arrived...

His breath stopped in his chest.

It was an Eypharian.

It was an Eypharian.

He couldn't hear the quick, fervent conversation the two shared, employer and employee, so struck was he by a sudden flurry of memories. Stepping back, the Benshiran almost hid himself under the rack of clothing, his hand reaching up instinctively and clutching at this tunic. All this time, I thought... I thought I had better control of myself... His heart was pounding intently in his chest, threatening to break free of its bonds of flesh and bone. All the restraint I thought I had obtained, the self-moderation... gone, just with a simple glance towards an Eypharian. I didn't resolve my problems, I only ran away until they couldn't reach me anymore. What a fool I've been.

Through some bizarre stroke of luck, this was the first Eypharian that Hirem had glimpsed in nearly four years. Though he had strayed near Ahnatep constantly during his ceaseless desert travels, he had never once caught of its citizens in his gaze, and had been spared a reunion with his dark history... until now. Already, memories of his escape from Ahnatep were flashing through his mind, joined equally by memories of his imprisonment, his attempted assassination, and the original sin that had destroyed his life nine years ago. All of this pain and torment, he had kept locked away for four years, thinking that it would again be unearthed. Now, it was all rushing back to him, a volcano of anguish finally exploding deep within his soul.

It wasn't just the fact that an Eypharian now stood before him that sent Hirem into such a panic. It was the fact that the woman, extraordinarily beautiful and lavish in all respects, was giving him the look. The petching Eypharian look. It was the same look that had haunted him throughout his entire life, the look that had condemned him to barbarity and his people to slavery. It was the look that he had seen on every street corner of Ahnatep, reflected in every noble face, etched into the very masonry of the petching city. Hirem knew that look, and hated it with every fibre of his being. Now it was not just memory that returned to his mind, but instinct as well; one hand, hidden at his side, buried into a fist.

But overpowering that fury was another, stronger emotion that threatened to completely overwhelm Hirem: guilt. His connection to the Eypharians was tainted by crime, murder, and bloodshed. And he could repent his sins for a thousand years, and for a thousand years the Eypharians would continue to haunt him... his troubled crusade against them was going to torment him until the end of his days. She dismisses me as just another customer, albeit with a disgusting heritage and horrible sense of fashion. How can the gods be so cruel, to present this woman to me and have her not know what I am? Have her not know that, once, I would have killed her without remorse and enjoyed every second of the deed? She should know! She should know, and flee for her life, in order to escape this monster that now stands within her store.

Oh, blessed Father Yahal! Grant me the strength to right the sins I have wrought upon the world, upon both your children and the Eypharians! Please... do not abandon me now...

It only occurred to him then, dimly, that he was being spoken to.

"Aah..." Hirem strained, looking at the Akalak and struggling fiercely to regain control of his appearance. I don't think I looked to be in too much distress... right? Forcing his gaze away from the Eypharian proprietor and turning it towards the clothes, the Benshiran tried to make sense of his own frustrating emotions. "I am... browsing," he finally said, after what seemed to be an eternity of indecision. "Looking for a new tunic, or - robes, perhaps." His accent usually tended to blaze through the words quickly and slur them together in his rush to speak; today, his voice was dreadfully slow and took ages to pronounce an entire word. Putting a hand up to his pained temples, Hirem gave an apologetic look to Hudon. "Excuse me, but... I must speak to your mistress."

I must talk to her, he thought. I must, or else I will break apart into a thousand pieces and be scattered idly into the wind.

Breaking away from the clerk and approaching the front desk, Hirem stopped awkwardly before the Eypharian - Rosela, according to Hudon - and cleared his throat. "Falim," he said, before realizing that he had just used his traditional Shiber greeting without thinking. Bowing his head out of embarrassment, he looked towards Rosela and strained to give her a comforting smile. My Arumenic is rusty, but I should at least be able to speak with her. Beginning again, this time in the native Eypharian tongue, "Greetings. I is Hirem, of Yahebah. I last in Ahnatep... four? four years ago. Was at Festival of Dira, as... Gardener. Was fun time."

Realizing that this encounter was completely bizarre and likely the strangest thing to have happened to this Rosela in quite a while, Hirem nevertheless continued to speak. He needed to speak. "I... I owe Eypharians debt. Imagine me shock at you, in... Rivershawl? Riverball? I offer help you."

OOC :
According to your character history, Rosela was likely still in Ahnatep during the Winter of 509! So she might have attended the event I'm referencing. Could be a fun twist in the proceedings.

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on June 17th, 2014, 2:56 pm

E
E
Part of her felt guilty at leaving poor Hudon to deal with the dirty sand-sucker, but a larger part knew if she took the sale, it wouldn’t go well. Business always came first, and she’d smiled through a lot of offense towards that end, but this was just too much.

Hudon would be fine.

The sand-sucker would be out of her shop and she could continue on with her day as though it had never happened.

Doing her best to remain, at least on the surface, nonchalant and uncaring, she rifled through the shelves of the front desk and pulled out a set of old designs she’d worked on last time she was in. She knew them by heart, but if she didn’t do something with her hands she’d look ridiculous just standing around. Behind her, there was the distinct sound of the ugly, bumbling Benshiran accent and the indication that she was about to be accosted. In a slight panic, she threw the design papers onto the desk and turned to face him as he stopped in front of her, two arms folding across her chest. Hudon stood awkwardly at the end of the aisle, and she tiredly dismissed him from the situation by jerking her chin at the men’s section. The trousers wouldn’t stack themselves and it seemed the sale would have to be worked out later.

Her nose wrinkled instinctively as he addressed her in his ugly Shiber. She assumed it was some sort of greeting anyway – she never had any cause to learn it. His Arumenic was an even bigger affront, but at least here she could display her superiority.

”Greetings,” She replied flatly, looking down her nose at him even as he stood a full head above her. Of all things she expected him to say, one was not to remind her of a long-past, unimportant event. She remembered…a scuffle, someone got into a fight and was arrested, but not much more. The majority of her night, as a new bride, had been spent fending off her husband’s ridiculous attempts to pull her into one of the romantic alcoves. She did remember the splendor of the Garden of Concubines however, so had no trouble believing a small army of gardeners and decorators had helped put it together. ”Yes, I was there. It was indeed…fun.” If this man were anyone else, she would try to capitalize on their shared history and push for more, even rejoice in the use of her glorious native tongue. Instead, she was here, with him, and she was not going to give him any help in making small talk.

Her awkwardness must have shown as he seemed to get to what she imagined was the point. Her mind pricked upon two words in his short confession – ‘debt’ and ‘offer’. This man owed something to her race, and was willing to pay up to specifically her. ”Riverfall,” she corrected absently with a hint of irritation. This man was willingly placing himself under her heel. Why? How big a debt was this? What could he possibly owe that he needed to throw himself at presumably the first Eypharian he saw? Given his offer to 'help', she assumed the debt wasn’t monetary, but who knew with these miza-less desert folk.

The small hairs on the back of her neck, just above her hidden mark of Akajia, slowly rose. ”Well,” she said shortly, making an effort to mask her disgust with the dirty man in front of her. She very much wanted to adjourn to someplace more private to discuss such curious matters, but if she pushed too hard, he may bolt and seek out one of the few other Eypharians in the city. Being one of the baser races, it was likely only a matter of time before he ended up in the brothel, spilling his secrets to Silka, the Eypharian madame there. ”I’m not quite sure what to say to that. Just what kind of a debt is this?”

OOCI tried to keep her knowledge of what happened there to bare rumors, as she definitely would have been there, but OOC really wasn't...
E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hirem on June 21st, 2014, 7:01 am

This charade is killing her, Hirem knew, just as surely as it is killing me.

He did not consider himself an expert in body language. The fact remained that emotional nuances - buried deep within both words and small physical motions - often flew right over his head in vain, an unfortunate trait of his that he owed to his many years spent in the desert. Living as a hermit for nine years hadn't done wonders for his social graces. But what Hirem was assured of, was his mastery of understanding the Eypharian body language. Specifically, he knew how the dreaded look could be applied in any scenario, regardless of what one might be trying to obtain from the "baser races". It could be sneaked in conversation, cast at a departing back, or glared from an upthrust head throughout the entirety of the encounter... it did not matter the context, for the look always remained the same. Hirem knew the look as intently as the slave knew the whip's kiss upon their backs, for both served the same purpose for him. He had seen the look throughout Eyktol, from the streets of Ahnatep to the very walls of Yahebah, his city that did not bow to a Pressorah... the Eypharian arrogance knew no bounds. He had seen the look in his own nightmares, reflected from a thousand glinting and wrathful eyes. He had suffered and lived and killed for that look.

And Rosela was now giving him that same look, hearkening back to nine years of suffering.

How fervently she must have wished for him to be gone! Hirem watched her quietly, his face composed into a stony gaze, as she reluctantly dismissed her attendant and dealt with the Benshira directly. This woman possessed a great degree of self control - and an admirable sense of professionalism, if she could mask her disgust in order to get a better sale! - but he knew what signs to watch for in order to realize her true discontent. The flaring of her nostrils. The angle of her eyes, perpetually looking down at him. The way her many arms folded and otherwise closed her body off to him. It was incredibly subtle, but every small detail added, in Hirem's mind, to growing evidence of her feelings about the Benshira. She can barely tolerate my presence in the store, he thought to himself, but doesn't take the steps necessary to dismiss me. Why? It's not as if there's a great Benshira community she risks offending in this city. No one will speak against her if she expels one flea-ridden nomad from her establishment. And she cannot think that I will make some significant contribution to the business. Is it her self-image that she seeks to maintain?

And, in truth, Hirem could barely preserve his own friendly appearance. It wasn't as if his desire to assist Rosela in any way possible wasn't honest; the only reason he still was talking to this pompous Rakva was because of this debt. But to sit here, and stare into those eyes of emerald, and pretend that his history with the Eypharians was some simple matter was infuriating. The burden weighing down his chest had not been entirely lifted, his heart growing weary from the immense pain that it struggled with. One hand, held behind his back, was clenched so tightly that his knuckles were almost popping out of place. It was especially painful to hold his agonizing feelings at bay, knowing that Yahal disapproved of deception in all its forms. I owe this task to Yahal more than any other... and it is more important to me than any other duty I have accepted. He longed to speak and let Rosela know the full truth of his debt... longed to let her know that once he had despised her kind.

And now, she was giving him the chance to reveal his past. Understandably, Rosela was trying to comprehend the nature of this debt, asking him what exactly it involved. Hirem knew that, if he explained to her the real reason it existed, he would lose his chance to repay it with Rosela. And, for some maddening reason, the more furious he grew with the Eypharian mistress, the more determined he became that it had to be her that he lent his services to. It had become something of a test: if he could forgive and swallow his own pride long enough to be of some assistance to this detestable woman, then he could safely say that he had come a long ways from his time as an anti-Eyhparian crusader. So he could not provide the full truth, but neither could he openly lie to her face. Hirem had no stomach for deception, and Yahal shared his views on that topic. To say that his past in Ahnatep was some simple matter was disrespectful to the lives he had ruined throughout his journey. There was only one path he could take now: state the truth, as far as it would carry him.

Switching from his broken Arumenic to his more proficient Common - there was no way she was going to take him seriously if he kept butchering her native tongue, and his accent was going to be much improved in Common - the Benshira bowed his head. "The debt that I owed was not of money, but instead was owed to the soul. In my younger days, I was a student of history and grew... furious at injustices of the past. At injustices that your people," he said pointedly, affixing his bright eyes to hers, "leveled upon mine. I used to hate Eypharians, one and all, regardless of what they believed or how they treated me... truthfully, I thought them one and the same. But," and this was the most difficult part to admit, for it was hard to pay respect to the man that saved his life without actually saying his name, "one of your people ended up saving me from certain doom, and my opinion has changed ever since. I realized that I was in great error, and have sought to make amends for the sins of my past."

Casting his eyes about the store, Hirem folded his arms and looked back to Rosela. "So... how may I start? I am in need of clothes, yes? What is expensive here?"

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alyra on August 16th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Hirem :
Skills
Observation 1
Socialization 2

Lores
  • The look. The Eypharian look.
  • Repaying a Debt
  • Being Friendly to an Old Foe

Penalties & Awards
N/A

Additional Comments :
I wish this could have been finished. I would have liked to see how Rosela responded. You can feel the tension while reading this thread. Hirem, I couldn't figure out how to word that last lore, so feel free to change the wording if you don't like it as-is.

Don't forget to delete your request from the queue and, of course, if you have any questions or concerns about your grade, feel free to send me a PM so we can get everything straightened out!

Thoughts ~.~ Common ~.~ Tukant (0000BF) ~.~ Kontinese (FFFFFF)
Piraen
Alyra
Player

Words: 70686
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2012, 7:52 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes