A day of play [Docks]

Tyr meets Gwin for the first time

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 9th, 2014, 3:50 pm

7th of Summer 514 A.V.

The world opened out to him with a sense that, but a moment before, had been lost to him. From where his feet dangled into the water his mind ranged out, little lights of life beginning to flicker into existence all around him like stars glittering in the night sky. So many that his mind could not comprehend. A torrent of information that he quickly forced unto a certain point, organizing the flickers of life by size, and letting those that were not his target of interest fall away.

What was left was a small school, maybe 20 feet out in the bay, of perch. He called, opening his mind and giving his intention with practiced ease. Soon they were on their way, ready to help and support him in any way they could. A small smile played across his lips," Thank you my friends." Tyrion's voice barely raised above a whisper, but one of the larger flickers of life near him clearly heard.

"Mister, when will you're friends arrive?"

Tyr opened his eyes and blinked them a few times, returning his concentration to the more mundane sense of sight. A quick look around revealed a ring of anxious faces, and the singer laughed at the sheer eagerness he could see in the children's eyes," Give them a moment lad. They've heard the 'call' and are on their way." He had to shake his head ruefully at the child's gap-toothed smile, remembering the time, not so long ago in the grand scheme of things, that he was that excited by his first time seeing Laviku's gift being put to use.

Admittedly that had been a far grander event, and for greater purpose as well. Then it had been several members of his family all calling at once, and they had gathered enough fish and other sea fare to feed the pod for quite a while. This was just a small demonstration, done to bring joy to a few fisherman's sons and daughters, but Tyr doubted the gods would begrudge him this little misuse. At least he hoped they wouldn't. It would be just his luck that he would anger a god with such a mundane act...

His musings, such as they were, were rather suddenly brought to a close by a spray of salt water directly to the face. He spluttered for a moment before the sound of children laughing reached his ears, a quick swipe of his hand wiped the water away so that he could see them clearly. One of the brats had his hands balled together and, when he squeezed them together, squirted a jet of water right at him. Tyr dodged it easily and laughed sticking his tongue out," Hah! Ya missed me pipsque..." Water splashed into his face from the other direction and another child laughed.

Tyr stood, tall and imposing on the docks above them and growled," Alright. Ye asked for it ya bunch of delinquents." He jumped off the pier and contorted into a ball, landing with a resounding splash. When he came up from the water he found several of the kids spluttering in the aftermath," That is how yae splash someone. Don't mess with a master now." He could see the rebellion gathering in their eyes, and knew he was in trouble.

They ganged up on him, each of them splashing him from separate directions and in such quick succession he couldn't even quite tell which splash came from where. But Tyr would have the last laugh... His reinforcements had arrived.

The children squealed in laughter as, all of a sudden, dozens of small fish began to jump out of the water all around them, splashing each child repeatedly. Tyr grinned triumphantly as he saw the joy on all the children's faces as they realized that his 'friends' had come to play too.
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Words: 20350
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 3:19 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Gwin on June 9th, 2014, 7:04 pm

After spring faded into summer, Gwin began asking herself why she stayed every day. She’d linger around the university, flutter through the streets, play a piece or two on her violin and return to the ocean. When she saw the vast masses of blue, she knew it’d only take a flap of wings and a plunge to leave Zeltiva, but she didn’t… not yet, not yet.

Instead she sat down by the docks and watched a man playing with a bunch of children in the water. They were enjoying the liquid and its colorful inhabitants like she couldn’t. Gwin slipped into her melancholy as if it was a worn coat, familiar and comfortable. The sea and the sky were calling for her… yet she’d remain for a while.

Suddenly a school of small fish appeared to join the man and the children were outnumbered. Gwin, who had been sitting on the pier and dangling her fin over the edge, sat up straight and watched with more interest.

At a closer look, the guy was obviously a Svefra or at least a seafarer with the tan and messy dreadlocks. Judging from the fish that didn’t just come into shallow waters by coincidence, he was also blessed by Laviku. While watching, Gwin would absentmindedly stroke the surface of her instrument case without opening it. As long as the group was playing in the water nearby, she wouldn’t risk getting her violin wet.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 10th, 2014, 6:30 pm

The children's mirth was well worth the use of Laviku's gift, at least in Tyr's eyes and, for a time, he merely watched them play with the school of fish with a small smile on his face. At least until the children noticed that he wasn't playing along...

One promptly tackled him, latching onto his arm and making it hard to swim," Oi, come play! You're missin' all the fun." Tyr grinned and nodded his head in ascent," Well, can't be havin' that now can we lad?" The child laughed and dove away, kicking his feet practically in Tyr's face to splash him thoroughly. The singer shook his head and laughed, his dreadlocks slinging water all around him and splashing a few of the nearby kid's," Just you wait brat. I'll have my revenge."

As he said that though, all the ones around him whom he had splashed returned the favor in spades, nearly drowning him in the process. He came back up spluttering and glared daggers, before diving under the water. He swam beneath the surface, right up underneath the one who had kicked water in his face and grabbed him, dunking him and then letting him splash back to the surface for air.

Tyr resurfaced a few feet away and laughed, clearly enjoying himself. It was only as he heard a small splash behind him that he realized how lose he was to the pier. He turned, only to find himself face to a tail which, at first glance, he assumed to be of an exceptionally large fish. But surely not... this was furred. He back paddled a bit to give himself some room, his eyes followed the line of the tail all the way up to the pier, only to be surprised when it ended at a human torso. A rather beautiful woman sat there watching the children curiously while holding a case of some sort.

By the similar shape he assumed it to be a fiddle. He smiled lightly and waved at her, calling out," A good day to you... miss. Why doncha join the tykes if yer so interested in em eh?" He gave her a charming smile and swam out a bit further," The waters nice this time a year too."
Last edited by Tyrion Moontide on June 10th, 2014, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Gwin on June 10th, 2014, 7:05 pm

While the fish were distracting the children, the sailor was gazing into the distance. Soon he was punished for zoning out though. His revenge brought them closer to the pier and the spot where Gwin was lazily dangling her fin into the water. That probably looked like a fish’s, but the rest of her tail was furred and the color of moss. She was only wearing a strip of black fabric across her chest, so most of her golden skin was exposed to sunlight and stares. As always, her blonde locks were slightly tangled and messy as if she hadn’t bothered to comb them after the last swim.

As the man waved at her, the sadly curious expression didn’t change. Only her eyes lit up, acknowledging his communication, before one hand went up to mirror his greeting. “I know. I already tried the water.” The corners of her mouth twitched, part amusement at the understatement, part appreciation of his words.

Join them? Now that was something she wanted to laugh at. Instead she gently swung her tail from side to side, stirring the water. “It wouldn’t be as enjoyable if I took part in it, I’m afraid. I couldn’t appreciate the greater picture you’re a part of. Also, I’d have a rather unfair advantage, don’t you think?” Something like mischief lit up in her features, but it was soon replaced by something corresponding with her wistful tone.

The Akvatari was clearly meant to tread water and soar in the sky, but right now she quite liked sitting and observing. Eventually what she saw with her eyes would turn into beats and notes in her head and melody from her violin. Thus she didn’t even consider joining the kids in their play.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 10th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Tyr raised an inquisitive eyebrow at her words, or more accurately the seemingly mixed emotions she conveyed as she spoke them. There seemed to be a melancholic atmosphere floating around this strange woman, and yet she seemed perfectly content to sit where she was.

“I know. I already tried the water.”

He chuckled lightly as he gave the woman a once over, noting her tussled hair and general lack of clothing. It was easy to imagine that she had indeed already tried the water earlier in the day. He watched in interest as her tail swished about, stirring the water beneath her... Was this an Akvatari? He had never seen one before. It took him a moment to realize he was staring, and he quickly returned his gaze to her face, listening as she spoke.

“It wouldn’t be as enjoyable if I took part in it, I’m afraid. I couldn’t appreciate the greater picture you’re a part of. Also, I’d have a rather unfair advantage, don’t you think?”

His eyebrow quirked again, his interest piqued," A greater picture you say? Well I do cut a fine figger' if I do say so myself." He chuckled a little at that and continued," Unfair... A might bit perhaps. That fin o yours would certainly be a challenge to deal with." He grinned at the mischievous look that came to her face, but it faded so fast he could almost figure that he had imagined it. How odd.

He put both arms up to the pier and tugged himself up to sit beside this strange newcomer," The names Tyrion lass. I'ts a pleasure tae meet ya." His hand extended in greeting and he nodded to the case she seemed to hold so dearly," I'm a musician by trade. Also a bit of a fisherman, and a cargo runner." He smiled his lopsided smile as he made his greetings and waited expectantly for her to return the gesture.
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Gwin on June 12th, 2014, 8:25 pm

If Gwin noticed he was staring at her, she didn’t show it. Even so, she was used to people giving her odd looks. The Akvatari were an odd sight to behold, after all, as if some forgotten God had put parts together without really knowing what He was doing. A Godling perhaps. Mortal was only a different way to express incompetence, she thought.

As far as she knew, they were abandoned by the Gods and altogether alone. Gwin didn’t mind though as long as it meant she was free to go where she wanted and do what she enjoyed. Narrowing her eyes, she watched the sailor and wondered if he’d provide her with inspiration, a melody waiting to be heard. There was something in his movements, the way he laughed and spoke against the blue and grey water, but she couldn’t quite figure it out yet.

When he came out of the water to join her at the pier, Gwin was neither pleased nor annoyed. Who was she to deny him the freedom of sitting where he wished and talking as he liked? She even shook his hand, although with a rather stiff hand. “Nice to meet you. I’m Gwin.”

Not a sailor then, but a fisherman. Musician? Her gaze wandered over his body and part of the shore, but she couldn’t see anything resembling an instrument or even case. “What instrument do you play? Music is important to me too in case you haven’t noticed yet.” Her eyes lit up as she briefly lifted the protective shell she was cradling in her arms. “Maybe we could learn something from each other. Share music styles. Are you from Zeltiva?” There were different kinds of music in different parts of Mizahar, Gwin knew, and she’d already studied the Zeltivans quite a bit last season.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 13th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Tyr frowned as Gwin, as as the strange woman pronounced herself, shook his hand. She seemed stiff, overly formal, distant. He couldn't quite tell if that was merely a part of her personality, or if he had somehow offended her. Judging by the stiffness he had noticed in her before, he certainly hoped it was the former rather than the latter.

He watched as her eyes wandered, her attention never fully on a single place, seemingly scanning for something. He chuckled in realization as she hefted the case of her own instrument.

“What instrument do you play? Music is important to me too in case you haven’t noticed yet.”

With a nonchalant wave of his hand he pointed her attention further down the docks, where a small ship lay anchored. If they had been a little closer, or if one of them had wonderful eyesight, the name would have been clear to see, painted across the side," The Selkie, my lady love she is. I play the fiddle, and I left her to guard it while I had some fun." Tyr grinned and pointed at the brats splashing away in the water, oblivious to the discussion between their elders," Could't bring it 'round here after all, not with this bunch."

A small frown crossed his lips as he thought about it, but he shrugged soon after," Truth be told my playing skills are rather sub par lass. I sing a might bit better, but mostly its to please myself and anyone else who can bear the noise I make while doing it."

“Maybe we could learn something from each other. Share music styles. Are you from Zeltiva?”

His protests stopped there, the sudden light in her eyes surprising him. Where she had been rather uninterested in joining them at their play in the waters, her enthusiasm at the idea of someone with a different style charmed him. With a grunt he stood, slapping his knee as he did so," No ma'am I am most certainly not from Zeltiva. This city is completely new to me. Part of the reason I'm trying to get to know some folks as is." He grinned and began walking off," Be right back. If yer planin for to learn how I play I'd best have my instrument eh?"
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Gwin on July 16th, 2014, 11:27 am

As he pointed it out, Gwin observed the boat for a while. It wasn’t big, but alright for a single man, and pretty. If he had a boat, he was a sailor though, or not?

There was no doubt about the musician part. Returning her gaze, Gwin tried to see a fiddler in him and imagined the smooth curves of the instrument against his broad shoulder and arm. It’d be a rough kind of music, not unlike that Svefra with the guitar, probably less polished and more careless. She almost heard it in her head. “There are waterproof instrument cases. I don’t quite understand how they work, but they should be available in this city.” Still, she appreciated how he took care of his instrument.

Gwin tilted her head slightly when he mentioned singing. That was something she’d attempted before, but never felt confident with. People always paid more attention to the singer. They looked at the musician too, but one wasn’t as naked with their instrument in hands. “Maybe I could play and you could sing… or we could try different combinations and see which feels more natural.”

Then he slapped his knee, a strange gesture, and rose to his feet. Gwin leaned back in her sitting position and noticed with surprise how big a man he really was. Someone who knew their way around the ocean and bays he anchored in. Obviously not a Zeltivan. She nodded with growing enthusiasm. “Then it will be interesting to share music with you.”

Gwin lifted her tail and curled it around herself to get away from the water. While Tyrion fetched his fiddle, she’d unpack her own instrument and rest it on her shoulder. Soon the first scattered notes were sounding across the water, speaking of her careful tuning. Since she played it a lot, her violin was hardly ever out of tune and the process didn’t take long. After that, she’d stretch her fingers and begin playing a little melody to the sound of the waves.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on July 28th, 2014, 3:18 pm

A smile spread across Tyr's lips as he walked along the docks, for even over the usual shouting of sailors and fisherman that always filled such places he could hear his new acquaintance already working to tune her instrument behind him. Not that it seemed to need much tuning, at least to his amateur estimations, but the fact that she was already at it showed how excited she might actually be about their duet. Her other words he tucked away for the moment, he might look for one of those waterproof cases at some point, but for the moment he wasn't certain if he had the money for such an expense. As for whether he would sing along to her playing, or play his own music and sing, they would discuss further when he got back with his instrument.

Knowing that she was waiting he picked up his pace, very nearly jogging up the boardwalk until he came to his ship. Rather than waste time placing the gangplank he merely jumped, soaring over the small gap between The Selkie and the dock and landing heavily on the weather beaten boards whose every stain and scratch Tyr knew like they were an extension of his own body.

Even in his haste though he still managed to slow enough to place a reverent hand on her planks, a small ritual that had started when he was young and had decided that the ship would one day be his. Without any further distraction he sped over to the trapdoor that lead to his small cabin, a space barely big enough for the small cot and chest that rested inside and reached for a bundle resting on top of the bed. With it in hand he twirled around and brought the door shut with a tug.

"Sorry for leaving ya behind old friend. Couldn't have ya gettin ruined while I kept the kiddies entertained though now could we?"

Tyr grinned and tucked his instrument up under his arm, as he usually did when carrying it anywhere, and hopped back across the small gap between ship and dock and started back towards Gwin. As he neared he slowly began to unwrap the cloth around his fiddle, first pulling out the bow and checking the string before taking out the fiddle itself. The cloth was tucked into his belt and left for later. It was only as he had his own instrument out that he noticed the lilting notes coming from Gwin's. She was playing softly and with an unusual rhythm... It was only after a moment that he realized she was playing along with the movement of the waves... How curious.

The children, previously so occupied with the fish that Tyr had called to play with them, were now beginning to congregate closer to the docks, floating on the gentle waves of the ocean and allowing Gwin's own gentle waves of music to lap over them. Tyr also let the notes wash over him for a while, at least until he felt relatively comfortable that he had the rhythm down.

And as he brought his fiddle up to his shoulder he began to play the same song, not quite as perfectly as Gwin but with enough skill that he hoped he would do the sound justice. Instead of stopping at that though, he also let his voice join the fray, starting out gently and allowing the sound to roll off of his tongue.

"Ye gentle waves, lapping at the shore
You know not of famine, nor of war..."

All of the children were gathered now, their eyes staring up at Gwin and Tyr with sparkles in their depths. Tyr gave Gwin an apologetic and slightly embarrassed smile at his intrusion but he couldn't resist singing to such a beautiful song. Coming up with lyrics gentle enough to match the music rolling from Gwins skilled fingertips was a challenge, but as he listened to the subtle symphony made by the combination of the waves and Gwin's playing the words slowly began to form for him.

"What lands you have touched we may never know
When you leave where do you go?

Yours is a music that sings to my soul
I stare in your depths as you swallow me whole..."

As his voice faded away Tyr turned to Gwin with that apologetic smile once more, this time adding," Sorry about that lass... I got caught up in the music and let it carry me away." He scratched the back of his head for a moment, not entirely certain how she would react to his breaking in on her song without asking.
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A day of play [Docks]

Postby Gwin on August 3rd, 2014, 1:13 pm

Gwin wasn’t a master of the violin, not by far, but she knew her limits well. Her notes were simple, lacking any flourish, and because of that they sounded clear and strong as crystal under the sky.

She lost herself in the music completely, becoming the perpetual back and forth of the waves as her hands moved of their own accord. The melody rose when the tides pushed the water towards the shore and died a little when it retreated. The noise of the waves served as the drumbeat of her music. When it rested, she filled the quiet with tiny sounds like a lullaby, only to repeat the heavier and proud melody when it rose again. Her eyes were half-closed, watching the water moving under her fin, until Tyrion returned.

When the first words fell, she looked up. For a moment her play wavered and her fingers tripped over a few notes. However, as he continued, she managed to regain the rhythm from his voice and pick up the melody she’d left hanging. Slowly, it rose to create a beautiful harmony with his rough baritone. Then the melody grew and left the sound of the waves to become something more. The beat remained, but the melody bloomed and fanned out into fresh swirls and vivid flourishes. Where she’d played out a long note before, she tried to add a little trill and other things.

At the same time, the melody remained sober. The Svefra’s words filled it with a longing for the call of the waves, the blue sky and lightless depths of the ocean before their eyes. Gwin easily incorporated that into her melody, drawing out the long notes and fading into silence at the pauses.

When his words died, the voice of her violin spiraled down too. Slowly and carefully, the melody faded. For a moment the Akvatari listened to the last echoes disappearing between the foam. “No… you didn’t interrupt, you complimented. The song was more beautiful for it. Shall we play on?” She took the wooden neck into her right hand to shake out the fingers of the left. They’d already done some dancing. This time she’d wait for Tyrion to begin. No matter which voice he chose, his own or the fiddle, she was looking forward to his melodies.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Next