Closed [Warehouses] Shade seeker

(Zandelia)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Warehouses] Shade seeker

Postby Fallon on June 14th, 2014, 4:11 pm

10th Summer 514AV

It was already hot in the logic of Fallon. Her lips hard parted back to reveal a slit of white, the low hiss as she walked through the stuffy streets that made up Sunberth. The shirt was already sticking to the body, the coat having been discarded so she could remain cooler within the air. It did not mean she left any of her equipment behind though. Armour was donned, the leathers and studs catching the light as she stepped with certainty. She was a mercenary, that was clear by the way she had walked with those slightly swaggered steps - still mimicking that of a man at times. Either way, it was a solid pace, one filled with some grim determination and direction.

Fingers sweated in the gloves, the cuffs of the shirt having been rolled up to reveal that pale skin and the top button opened to allow a better through flow of air - not that it helped that much. The heat was still working its way into crippling her. Her form gave a bob as she stepped into the cooling shade of an alleyway. There was a small sigh of relief as she gave a glance back into the daylight, the orbs squinting down at it. The back of her head gave a small throb, her eyes narrowing slightly as she felt the start of a headache press against her skull.

Great, just what she needed in hot weather.

There was a puff of air, a quick step on through as she swerved between the bodies. There was nothing overly pressing that needed doing today, any true work was put on hold until the first quarter of the season, and so she was left alone and set the task of keeping herself occupied or furthering things for the Scars. Something that was a bit difficult considering her current state, she wanted to be at the best of her capability before she once more dived into dedicating herself. Still, at least the ribs had finally stopped their aching. It could not be long now.

Stepping quicker now she gave a duck down another narrow passage, a flickering of a glance either side as she felt the walls momentarily close in. There was a push against the surface as a local barged past, but paid her no mind. She was certain she had become a common face here by now, or at least within the mercenary industry. The Scars and within the way of the gangs was another consideration all together. Her brow frowned at that, what was needed, what was required? The needed more people and support, but she refused to allow the Scars to be used as a stepping stone for others - a deep part of her rebelled at such a notion.

Regardless of her thoughts, her main priority was finding somewhere shady in which to hide from the blaring sun. Once out of the heat she could do whatever she wished to keep herself occupied - probably set her mind to winding away the bells whilst the heat of the day passed on by. Once the afternoon had come round, she would once more set herself free onto the city for whatever reason what so ever. She gave a wipe away of the sweat that had accumulated on her brow, and promptly tapped the water skin at her waist. There was no way she was going out without it filled.

Her eyes gave a careful sweep, the gentle flick away of the hairs that wriggled free from the tied back bonds. There was a frown as she searched, the towering narrow warehouses alerting her of her location. Wood gave a groan in the subtle breeze, her eyes looking and searching for somewhere unused for just a little while. There was a sharp look as she caught the gaze of one of the locals, no doubt one of the smaller gangs that worked their way around the warehouses bit by bit. There was a snort, as she gave another slip around into the shadows. The broken maw of an abandoned warehouse greeted her. Pausing at the threshold she peered in, her eyes narrowing into the shade and the blocks of light produced by the half crumpled wall and roof.

Gingerly stepping in, she looked about her eyes adjusting to the noticeably cooler air. There was no signs from what she could see that it belonged to anyone - even as she worked her way through. Blinking she gave a crouch down, eyes narrowing at the sunlight before she slinked on through. It was solid ground beneath her - dried stone or earth from what she could tell. Above the supporting beams that had not fallen away stood strong. Shoulders gave a roll, a pivot as she looked about the scene. Discarded rubble, planks and poles that had been left discarded revealing the true nature of the place. It belonged to no one, and that in itself was a blessing in itself.

Tugging at her collar once more she gave a pivot round, a check of her surroundings as she stretched herself out. It was cooler out of the sun here, and with that in mind Fallon turned her attention to other such things. Training.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on June 14th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Fallon had been elusive of late, so much so that Zandelia was beginning to worry about the woman. She had told her how she didn’t like the heat, did not cope very well with it at all, yet she had not expected the words to be as resoundingly accurate as they had been. Not that she had expected the lie but more that in her experience people had a tendency to over-exaggerate such things due to the memory being harsher than the reality of living in such conditions. She should have known better she supposed, Fallon was nothing if not precise. Sleepless hours had been spent whilst she had tossed and turned even in the night, before she then evaporated and went gods knew where. She knew she shouldn’t worry, she could handle herself. It was more the fact she was fighting an enemy that nothing could be done about, she thought, that annoyed her the most.

She sat upon the bed, covers wrapped loosely around her as the almost insignificant breeze rattled through the open shutters along with the noise of the throng of the city. She sighed, noting that the woman was gone again, weapons and armor also absent. She dared not approach the window as she knew she’d get a ribald comment or two in her nude state, apparently her bust was ample enough to be judged from the street in a variety of analogies and crude offers. She threw the itchy blanket to the side and set about dressing. She considered momentarily about wearing the leathers but couldn’t truly face it this day. Sweat had already begun to stick the shirt to her back before she was finished and made her way into the city. Cloak had been left and for weapons she had taken just boot daggers and tonfa. She had opted to take her water skin though, filled to the brim and dangling from her hip.

Best not to be burdened today, not when I’ll be searching the damned city. It’s time to spend some time with her outside of Scars activities. She has been planning, I’ve been seeking. Not a lot of time for just us she told herself as she walked the streets.

“Web!” a voice called, Carole had been waiting for her it seemed.

“Carole, how are you?”

“Bloody hot and damp is what I am! Got me working all damned night up in that…that…place!”

“What did you find?”

“Nothing much more than we knew. Uncontested as ever, few fights and lots of blood. Ballack reported in finally, gave the go ahead for what you asked for”

“Good…good. Tell Jarral to send some lads to canvas the alleyways. can’t be too careful now”

“No thank you? Nothing but more orders! I’m supposed to be learning fr-”

“You are, you just don’t think of it the right way. Learning by doing. There is no other way. I would offer thanks but you don’t get thanked until the job is done. So do it. I want to know everything that is happened up in Stumble…everything. Understood?” she responded coolly.

“Fine! I’ll bust my arse for you so you can bend it nicely for you-”

“Speaking of which…where is she?”

“Who?”

“You know who. Where?” she demanded.

“Last seen over near the warehouses. Looked damned annoyed” she snapped back.

“Thank you Carole” she smiled sweetly as she pushed past her and towards her destination.

The warehouses, it made some sense to her in so far as the place was a dark and shaded swamp of nothingness. Unless you counted the myriad of small time bands looking to murder you for a copper or two to rub together. Dangerous place for many, more dangerous now that Fallon was there. She did not think she would be looking for a fight, not in the baking heat, but all it would take would be one idiot with a death wish to bring out the wrath. She was angry at the very weather for Syna’s sake! She pressed onwards and entered the warrens, eyes open and choosing directions randomly. It was not difficult to navigate, nor find someone, if you knew the layout well enough. It was all a matter of sections, some were filled with people and others weren’t. It took some time, carefully seeking her target, and a few rests here and there in a sheltered and shady spot to catch her breath and try to make sure she was not as sodden as she thought she was.

Finally she caught a glimpse of the familiar figure entering the shell of an old relic, stepping carefully and she smiled as she just watched for a few moments. The cautiously inquisitive nature was one of the things she liked about her, the way she almost felt out a situation physically and in a manner that seemed unique. Once she had disappeared within she walked forwards slowly, pulling the water skin from its place and taking a small sip to wet her dried tongue before rubbing the residue across her equally arid lips. She peered in and chuckled into the echoing interior - a disturbingly dark sound and she blinked a little.

“Nice place you have here, thinking of moving in?” she asked as jovially as she could, pulling the wet fringe stuck to her forehead away and pushing it back across her scalp.

“Found you by the way, good game. Could have tried harder though” she grinned.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on June 14th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Arms reached up and out, a gentle roll of the neck as she clicked and turned. There was a rise up onto the toes, an inhale as she sucked in the cool air of the shade. It was quiet, the distant buzz of flies sticking to the locations of sunlight. Dry, cracked lips were wetted with her tongue, the rough and bitter texture noticeable. Her head gave the build up of pressure, an angry throb as it made its demands for moisture but for the moment she simply shook it off. There was a second brush back of the hair, the gentle massage of her neck. Leather picked up the trail of moisture, the damp sticking and tightening around the digits - uncomfortable would be the best way to describe it.

With a pace about the cool gloom, she continued to stretch out, trying to relax the muscles that were caught by heat. A hissed inhale, a ragged exhale, her fingers gave a tap upon the side of the water skin - checking that it was still there - before she turned her eyes up to the broken roof and the beams that stretched across. She considered how far up they were for a moment, her fingers reaching up to touch. Even as she stood upon her toes they were out of reach by those last few inches. Easing back down she rocked upon her heels, her head tilting upwards to take it into consideration. Could she reach it with a jump? Her head tilted to one side as she considered it.

Teeth clenched the finger tips of her gloves, a slide free of the damp pale skin into the air. Part of her shivered to that, another part twisted to the exposure of the warmth. It was an odd feeling. Digits were shaken, her finger and thumb massaging her right hand for a moment as she flexed it. It was becoming a bother, or more over she was beginning to realise that something was not quite right with it. Not that she was about to admit it. A tired sigh escaped, the wriggling of them in the air once more as she tucked the gloves into her pocket. Shaking herself out she gave a click, the jaw tightening as she fixed her attention once more to the beam and she wrestled the urges back.

It came as reflex when she heard the chuckling. Surprised almost at the noise to hear another's voice within this abandoned warehouse. The hand shot down to the tulwar, her eyes glaring out to the source and the bright summer light. With the faintest of grinding steel she felt it slide out for a bit, ready to draw if need be. There was a scrape, the outline making itself known as it peered in and the features of Zandelia came into understanding. Releasing an exhale, she eased off the scowl and let the blade slide back in place.

"I'm not sure if it's on the market," came the dry response, if not with the hint of tiredness behind it. The heat really did sap at her strength. There was an incline of the head to enter the cool shade, before her attention turned down to the sweating vambraces. She really was getting too hot, she could see the forming of a thin rivulets around her wrists and dampening around the sleeves of her shirt. Cheeks gave a puff, her dark eyes looking up and forcing out a smirk, "Still, it's very open aired don't you think? Great ventilation going on."

Fallon turned her head away at that point, the bare fingers stroking across the old wood that made up the warehouse wall. There was a subtle pant under her breath, the brief flicker as she focused on placing her feet firmly on the ground. Touching and feeling the grooves she begun to attempt to familiarise herself with the building and its strengths, "Found me you did indeed. Though in honesty, I wasn't really hiding," She gave a nonchalant shrug, "Surprised to see you awake. Thought you were... seriously sedated, after last night's adventures." There was a pause, a tap upon a stray rusted nail before she turned her head back to the woman, "I didn't wake you up did I?"

Her attention turned once more to the warehouse, a wary step upon the break into the daylight and the collapsed roof. For a moment she regarded the bright light that cut into the shadow, her bare finger tracing the edge before she looked up. She raised her hand to shield her eyes from the glare, a flicker of colours as she spied the curling of a climbing plant winding its way along the edge. How long had this warehouse been left in such a state? Did she really want to know?

Turning back round, she gave a fumble for her water skin and focused on sloshing the liquid around her mouth. It was not exactly cool, but it still did the job on hydrating and refreshing as need be. An exhale, the shoulders gave a sag, her hands focusing on corking the skin to prevent the loss of liquid, whilst her eyes lifted up once more to the beams and rafters. It could have been no more than twenty feet to the roof; at least that was from her perspective looking up into the uncertain darkness. The way her brow creased obviously showing she was thinking about something, "So. Summer eh? Give me the ice cold of Avanthal any day. So, what brings you to this neck of the woods to find me?"
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on June 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm

“Are you sure? I bet it’d fetch a great price you know. Needs a bit of fixing up but you know, walls aren’t everything,” she stated warmly, a small gleam in her eye, “and ventilation…forget about it. Got it covered most admirably indeed” she stepped forwards slowly.

She had noted the pulling at the tulwar, it was good to know that she was still alert and aware whilst going about her exploring and went some way to alleviating the fear that the heat was affecting her enough to make her an easier target. It gave her pause for a few seconds but the consideration was forgotten as she was forced to carefully pick her way through the debris and scattered beams to make sure that she didn’t lose her footing. It seemed that the worst was closer to the caved in ad-hoc entrance as it thinned and eventually disappeared as she managed to make her way into the island of emptiness that Fallon was inhabiting. She finally was able to look upon her at a closer visual range and she thought she looked sapped, drained of the usual zest and energy she radiated without thinking.

Could the heat really affect her that much? Why would she be so handicapped by it? It’s damned hot of course, but still…well, no use wondering why. It’s more about making sure she is alright until Fall I suppose she told herself, ready and willing to help wherever she could.

She was covered with sweat, air slick with it and clothing sticking o her where it could and steaming where it couldn’t. It was strange to see, she wondered just how she would continue as the heat rose and reached its apex at the middle of the season. She resisted the urge to offer support, she knew the other’s perspectives on that matter - she got on with things with her stubborn manner and damned everyone and everything that suggested that she couldn’t manage it. Instead she offered the water skin forwards and handed it over to the other woman without a word, a simple yet silent show of unity. The time for other things would be later, if Fallon actually managed to stay in the bed for the morning afterwards. The question about the morning surprised her though and she hid it as best she could behind her fingers before her mouth.

“I was very much asleep, it was the noise and the sun that woke me. Seems to be getting in my eye with the open shutter,” she shrugged slightly, it was probably past time she woke up earlier anyway, “still tired but then summer always make me tired. Can’t sleep in as much or half the day is gone. As for adventures, can’t get enough of them these days. Can’t fathom why” she continued smoothly as she wisely copied the other and stuck to the shadows.

“And I think you’re hiding from the sun, don’t blame you. Almost everyone is suffering the past few days I think. Even the businesses are starting to tire a bit. Still, it’ll rain no doubt soon enough and cool us off somewhat, we’ll see”

“Never been to Avanthal myself, so I’ll take your word for it. If it’s cool you need though could always find something to help out. Must be some way to cool off outside of walking the streets with nothing on,” she couldn’t help but chuckle at that thought, she’d have more luck convincing Fallon to be carried everywhere in one of those fabric chair contraptions, “and I came for you. Missed you and wondered what you’ve been up to in these shaded warrens of late” she stated, she thought that much at least would have been self-evident.

“Also thought now would be a decent time to ponder the new season and what will be done, or if you like I can help you up there” she nodded to the beams she had seen being gripped.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on June 15th, 2014, 9:49 am

She paused her looking as she watched Zandelia skirt her way around the rubble. There was the cock of the head to one side, her brow raising as she heard the creak and groan of rubble and wood underfoot as she escaped from the sunlight and into the gloom. With a blink she watched the edges glow in the light, before once more returning to that of shadow and the cool. The flickering of a smile rested there, the warmth of tone apparent as she spoke - the tracings of humour resting there, "Well, if you want it try taking it up with the present owner. I'm sure they can offer you a wonderful price for such a property."

Fingers rubbed at her eyes, the slicking back of an eyebrow as she blinked about the ruins. It was something to consider, a base of operations in which for the Scars to work out of. Her teeth drew into a line at that point, her eyes narrowing slightly as she considered the next step in which to achieve that. Of course, they could just think about acquiring a warehouse, but that made them little better then than the small gangs that filtered about there. No, they were much better than that - and they needed to prove that one way or another. Which was why she had turned her attention to stumble alley; no doubt Zandelia had picked that up. She had ways of knowing things that made Fallon slightly uncomfortable at the best of times.

Turning her attention down to her bracers she gave a flex of the pale flesh behind them, pondering for a moment on whether or not she should remove them. But she was a mercenary, and judging by the way Zandelia was dressed it meant she would have to take the brunt of whatever came their way. Or try to at least. She felt the weight of the tulwars shift on her waist, and her hand reach up to pat the kukri hilt that poked over her shoulder - it was all there and ready, she just had to hope that a fight did not occur in this heat.

"Rain, rain is nice. A good storm is nice too. Clears the air," Her head tilted to one side as she stared at the chosen beam. So close and yet so far, though she had a feeling a good jump would do it. There was only a brief flicker of regard to the water skin, the curl of the lips as she took it and politely accepted. For a moment there was a pause, the tugging of the collar as she felt the sweat roll down the nape of her neck, the low mumblings of thought, "Not even as if I can sit out in it. Burn quicker than anything. Had enough of that as a child thank you very much. Got to be a way to deal with it. Or just become a proper petching night owl."

A prospect that would have made work difficult to say the least. She gave a regard to Zandelia, the forming of a slightly confused look and passed the water skin back - there was no need for it right now as far as she knew. Stretching out again there was a final roll of shoulders as she stood just out from underneath the beam. There was a rock upon her heels, the gentle swinging of arms as she took it into her vision. Another click of the neck, fingers flexed, the knees bending slightly as she found the movements. Just a jump up and a grab, it would be easy to grasp and wriggle her way up onto it she told herself.

"Avanthal, Avanthal..." Fallon could paint the image of the icy landscape within her mind and hear the hum of storytellers speaking in Vani, "Snow all year round, even in the supposed warm season. It's very cold. But at least with the cold you can bury yourself under blankets and layers. So many evenings were lost staring into the flames of the hearth and listening to tales." She shook the image of her youth away with her hand, and returned her attention to the heat, "Of course, you would not object to me walking around with nothing on," she gave a small smirk, laced with amusement, "But I imagine you would get jealous when everyone starts staring." Teasing she gave a look for a reaction and then returned her attention to the self appointed task - an attempt to ignore the heat for the moment, "Not sure what to do about keeping cool other than keep drinking water or just don't go out. But that's more just a pain and entrapping."

There was a bend of the form, a deep inhale as she bent down properly. A mighty surge upwards both arms swinging upwards as she leapt up to the beam, hand clawed and looking to grasp upon the wood. Slick hands melt the cool, fingers hooking over the upper edges, with her feet hanging teasingly off the ground. For a moment she swung there, suspended momentarily in the air and daring not to look down. With a look of determination on her face she slipped her right arm over properly, pulling at all her strength to hauling herself up. There was a swing of legs, an inhale as she grasped with the left and begun pulling on that too - a slow working in unison for someone who was not a natural climber.

"No, no, I think I can get up there myself!" her leg gave a swing, her arms now firmly wrapped around the beam and her chin resting upon the edge. She gave a look down to Zandelia, a few panted breaths escaping "See? Told you I was fine." Fallon gave a grunt, arms trembling as she focused on the pulling. Eyes gave a blink, teeth clenching together as she heaved and continued to do so until it was her ribs that had managed to squirm onto the beam, "So, plans. Always plans. Many plans." She swung a leg up at that point, her face steeling with determination, "You might like them. Maybe. But knowing you, you probably already know them."

There was a sigh of relief when she finally managed to bring herself up to straddle the beam, her toes dangling at just below shoulder height. With a thumbs up to Zandelia she gave a look about of her new vantage point, "Right, plans. First, Stumble Alley. Second one is business. And I don't mean having the knowledge net work of it, but also the financial," taking her own water skin she took another sip of the liquid, and looked down upon the woman once more with a grin, "I'm on about breathing it."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on June 16th, 2014, 12:03 am

“I think I already have a half-destroyed place to try and take up to repair thank you, and if I were looking to buy something I’m sure that I could afford much better than this. I mean this is nice but it’s nothing compared to a decent house,” she snorted, “though to be sure a decent one of those is rare in Sunberth. Can’t say as I’d enjoy rotting wood every day when I wake up” she shrugged at that, she would take what could be gotten.

She had lived her life much the same way, flitting from alcove to alcove and bolt hole to bolt hole. She had grown accustomed to having a central place to sleep if at all possible but it was not a necessity for her, enjoyable no doubt but she could live it rough with the best of them. She had to admit though, the idea of waking up in a true bed with sound walls and flooring that didn’t splinter your foot to ribbons was an attractive one. Perhaps she would look around, if they were to go up in the esteem of others a decent base of living was as sound a start as anything. She could see the cogs working within Fallon’s head, she was learning how to read some of them though in truth she was always guessing as to what exactly was being thought and what would be stated at any given time.

“Such a shame, if you got red you could blend into your clothes so beautifully. Sure you won’t give up the pale skin?” she stated with not a trace of emotion in her voice, a small trick she was beginning to learn with the other, “well I suppose it’s a good thing. I’d never see the snow in the morning again” she continued smoothly as she watched the pulling at weapons and the assessing of distances between herself and the beams above.

She tied the water skin back at her hip and instead looked for an alternate route, she always preferred to make things easier if more circuitous than to drive straight for the target with difficulty. It was one difference between them and her flickering gaze found a potential path. One beam in the far corner was leaning at an angle into the niche and with a little acrobatic luck could be used for a nice spring board perhaps. She left it as a consideration as she continued to listen and watch. She didn’t want to break the rhythm and in truth was more curious as to Fallon’s recovering health - she was watching a gage of it she suspected, a test of how far it had come in a physical activity.

“Sounds lovely, a city of perpetual snow with fires and blankets to boot. Not sure I’d do well there, not so good with the cold these days but I can see the appeal. Perhaps somewhere to retire and turn crotchety?” she thought out loud, purposefully, “and I am never jealous. Not me. Never” she turned her gaze away briefly with a small purse of the lips and a frown, she was getting sloppy with her expressions these days in Fallon’s company - a byproduct of a growing closeness no doubt.

Not good at keypuncher guessing though, I must make myself into a more difficult puzzle for these bouts with words I think she told herself mentally.

“And so you did, well done Wolf. Glad to see you back on form,” she did smile then, properly, it was a joy to see her without restraint and better than ever, “and now for my turn” she puffed as she stepped forwards.

She paced, picking her way carefully, speeding up into a brisk run as she neared the chosen beam and with about a pace left until crashing into it she sprang forwardsand upwards. Left foot slammed into the beam which took the weight before shifting slightly but by the time it slipepd she was already in the air and twisting to grab onto abeam of her own. Chest slammed into it as forearms were used to support her and legs dangled before she rocked them forwards and then backwards in order to get some momentum to hook one over and pull herself up. She finished, straddling the beam, and panting slightly. She had tested her own fitness then also - broken ribs had been no laughing matter at all but they seemed relatively healed now. Even her should aches had faded with the rest she had given it. She laughed and found her own euphoria in being fully capable once more.

“Not so graceful in the air am I? Still, I remember some things from my word runner days it seems. Excellent” she shifted and turned so that she was sitting upon her beam now and facing Fallon with elbows propped upon the tops of her thighs.

“Stumble Alley…you don’t say? I wondered how long it would take you to find it. A dangerous place but uncontested for the most part, left alone much like the Wolf’s Den. People think it is a hopeless place where nothing can survive for long. Sounds like just the statement for us to make, is that what you were thinking?” she asked softly.

It was a bold move, prove that they could succeed where the other syndicates had failed. To bring a semblance of structured order to a place famed for its chaotic and bloody existence. If they could pull it off then people would be forced to take notice, to at least respect them a little if still be wary. It was relatively defendable with limited number also as it was literally one street. A large one the encompassed much surface area and many buildings but still suited their purposes for required repelling of assault. She tilted her head in consideration, true consideration, and her mind began to think of some ways in which to make it a reality.

“There are a few people down that way who are influential, we could ingratiate with them and use them for our own reasons. If we can provide protection and get a decent base set up there we could slowly roll back everything else until only we remain. Will probably take a season or two to finish the job without expanding our numbers but…possible” she stated simply.

“And the financial? Are we seeing the mercenary’s love for gold coming to the fore? True enough we will need much of it, or at least easy access to it if required. We could start by helping to protect it and then perhaps invest. Or make a business of our own perhaps? Or are we talking hostile take over here? Or just the way it shifts around between people, winners and losers and so on?” she enquired as she tried to get into the mindset of thinking that she knew was Fallon’s
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on June 17th, 2014, 10:02 am

"Not jealous? Well I suppose you won't mind if I go and flirt with the whores and harlots at Ruby's then?" Of course, she would not, but the thought was planted there either way. From her perch she gave a survey round, legs swinging either side and her fingers drumming a steady rhythm upon the wood. Her chest heaved however, complaining not only at the heat but the dull strain of ribs - she had to resist letting out a grimace. There was a frown however to Zandelia's comment about burning and posed her own question, "So, you want me to sit there, pink, red raw, burned and feeling incredibly tender? Why thank you, I will consider the matching so you do not have to lay your eyes upon snow first thing in the morning ever again."

With her chin tilting upwards to the worn wooden planking she gave a pause. They could not be that close to the roof of the building already, could they? Puzzlement, her head cocked to one side as she looked out once more across the length of the warehouse. The broken beams, the discarded and fallen tiles, the tell tale signs of planks having fallen. Gingerly she reached her hand up to touch the wooden planking above her and rapped her knuckles firmly against it. Another level perhaps?

"Well... in Avanthal I guess I would just have to focus on keeping you warm then Sunshine," she gave only a flicker of a grin and left the rest to the imagination of the woman - it was a powerful tool in this scenario. Sucking in the warm air she inhaled deeply, eyes looking about and then focusing on the woman. It was of course, her turn now to show off and with that in mind she watched with much amusement. It was a lot more graceful that Fallon's straight up and clambering approach, speed and movement were the allies there along with timing and understanding.

There was a wince when the woman met the beam, the forced grasp onto it as she dangled precariously off of it. As she watched she found her feet rising, gently tapping the width of the beam. With both hands pressing down onto it for support she brought her toes up onto it, crouched over and focused on maintaining some balance upon it. Her head bobbed slightly as she scuttled her way over, constantly looking and watching for where she stepped. Wood gave a groan, a gentle peer over as she made little of her way forward and then paused to hear laughter escape from the woman's lungs. And so with the immediate worry having now subsided, Fallon returned to her perching and observing.

"Word runner? Well, it would explain the strong legs and the way you're able to contort yourself," she teased, before shaking her head and let the damp hair press against her face once more. At least it felt slightly cooler up on the beams - then again it could simply be a moment of light headedness consuming her. For a moment she was silent, her eyes turning down to her water skin. Slick fingers hooked at it and pulled it upwards, a heavy exhale escaping as she uncorked it and took a swig. It was still hot though, and with that in mind she felt herself being pushed to find somewhere much cooler to hide in. A breeze was needed with plenty of shade - but in order to achieve anywhere significant in wind it would have to be a relatively open space. The swig turned into a glug and the wipe of the excess liquid across her cheek before she once more corked it.

"Yes... statement," she did not quite look at Zandelia at that point, her lips having pursed into a firm line. Of course it would have been useful through the reasons that the woman presented, small and narrow with a reputation of being nasty to boot - but she could not exactly admit the more personal one of the fact Sunberth's Library existed there. Her lips gave a twitch, her brow briefly furrowing into a line, "There is a few points of business there - some of which are over looked, I think, at the best of times. And there is it's already established reputation from local hearsay. What is it, leave by midnight or die? And from what I have heard that proves correct most of the time," she paused a second reach up and the knock of the knuckle upon the ceiling. No doubt it was clear by her expression she was no contemplating going higher.

"With that in mind, it supplies an extra defence. Could even supply the rumour that we've made a deal with the spirits of the alley... who knows what the local population would say to that," She shrugged at that point, "Regardless, this is what leads me on to the second part. Business."

Her eyes caught sight of an opening between the boarding, and the gaze narrowed down onto it. Looking between the beams she lead her mind along the trail that would take her across to it - if not for the small stretch from one beam to the next. She was certain she could make it with a bit of effort. Rising up onto her toes once more she scuttled along, arms out for balance as she wobbled back and forth. Occasionally they lowered, gripping onto the beam suddenly and sharply when she thought she lost her balance before once more she was off again. Her eyes however, continued to return to their target.

"Sadly, money is one of the things that makes the world go round," There was only a glance back to the woman before she looked upon the opposite beam. Gingerly she stretched a hand out to it and pressed her palm firmly into its edge, "I only have enough of a love of the coin to feed myself and yourself if need be." There was a click of the neck, her brow furrowing with concentration before she stepped over carefully. The second foot and hand quickly darted over with her, and took a firm grasp onto the wood once more, "But that does not mean I should shirk it's understanding. And the best way to understand it is to have and own a business. Simply, all of it."

Her head turned upwards now, looking through the gap and to the actual roof beyond - from what she could see it was a lot brighter up there, but that did not mean it was absent of shade. Stretching upwards she hooked her fingers through and pressed upwards until she was brought into standing. With the gap brushing against her chest, she surveyed the new found space before hauling herself up into it. There was a definite breeze here, stronger than when one walked through the city streets, the long shadows produced by the broken walls and roof. The flooring from what she could see was stable, and so, peering back down to Zandelia she gave a blink, "You coming up?"
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on June 17th, 2014, 11:49 pm

“Oh don’t be so tender, you’re not burnt like that yet. If I wanted you all red and grouchy I‘d suggest we go for a walk in the sun” she retorted with a small frown of her own, “and you can if you like. If I am not good enough for you of course. I don‘t believe in entrapment outside of business” she grinned, she knew Fallon would likely go near a brothel only if she had no other choice.

As to the other words, she had to admit they held a small measure of magic as the idea was planted and flickered within her mind. She could almost smell the smoke from the fire pit, feel the warmth of the flames upon her skin and the touch of flesh beneath a heavy blanket to keep at bay the chill of the outside world. She became lost in the images, the sensations made all too acute from personal experience. She must have looked as if she were in a daydream for a few moments before she shook her head to throw the image away with a small scoff at her foolishness. Now, suspended above a rubble strewn floor, was not the time to get caught up in things as could cause and accident. She watched as Fallon seemed to search, feeling out the surroundings and inquisitively rapping upon the wooden ceiling above them. She focused upon the comments, teasing though they were, and tilted her head in consideration.

She would find out soon enough and she has given enough of herself already to deserve to know what she wishes to she told herself simply. It was difficult really, though she had told Fallon much giving up information about herself was something she was unaccustomed to in truth. It was a form of self-programming she had to re-write every time she was with the other woman.

“Yes, I ran missives for Tua at the employment agency for a few seasons. Good way to keep the fat off in between other things. Not to mention I learnt a lot about the back alleys and side streets. Useful, after a fashion. And you think so? I could sue a bit more work I think, we’ll see” she informed Fallon of that portion of her life, it had been small but fun - for a while.

She listened with curiosity to the other’s line of thinking and tried to see between what was said and into the woman herself in her quest to seek out the motivations that were hidden behind the words. She had no doubt that there would be, she was multi-layered with her perspectives she knew and so equally held certainty that there was more to what was being stated than first appeared. She also noted that she kept up the searching of the roof for something unknown, perhaps somewhere darker and cooler she reasoned though she didn’t know exactly what spot would ever be cool or dark enough for someone so averse to heat. She flicked her mind away from that distraction and back to the matter at hand as she sat there, watching and waiting. The words were sound of course, though they would still take work to make them a reality as with most things.

“The sayings hold much truth but, if I am honest, I think it’s mostly because the bastards that lurk there are better prepared than Dastana’s dogs and that’s saying something. When you control the city it’s not worth the blood to control one more street. Oh they have fought over it but I get the feeling that it was more a show…a way to weed out the weakest by seeing who survived. A feint or two, if you will”

“Still, if we managed to put down some roots there it would afford her some time and breathing space I believe that you are correct. So I am all for it, so lnog as we can conjure up a decent plan for it of course. Can’t do something without planning it out first. Contingencies and so on” she continued matter-of-factly.

“Might even be able to recruit some of the thugs there give them something to do beyond drink and fight for nothing but the joy of fighting. Maybe” she considered, the thought appealing but still strangely self-defeating within her mind.

She wondered at the comment of gold whether Fallon meant that she was willing to support her because she wanted to or whether she expected it to be what Zandelia expected. True enough there had been gifts but they had always been exchanged with others in return. If she had to guess it had been meant in a nice way but the idea of being supported rather than pulling her own weight still rankled a little. She was free, a woman of means and abilities. She was petched if she was going to let another buy her way through life. She was old but not that damned decrepit. She pursed her lips and then they were drawn across her teeth.

“Thanks for the offer but I think I can earn enough gold for my own means. You use yours for what you want, buy yourself something nice. I have enough to not even know what to do with it anyway” she shrugged as she let the words pass her by without touching her too deeply, as best she could.

There was little time to consider anything further however as she watched Fallon find something beyond where they were, a surprising discovery but well timed to break the conversation slightly and allow time for contemplation. She did, however, watch with interest as the woman heaved herself upwards with a strength that she admired. She considered making a comment about how the way her arse moved being lovely but she didn’t like the idea of scraping a distracted woman off of the floor below and so but her tongue and merely smiled to herself as she saw the form disappear into the darker gloom beyond. She nodded at the invitation and pushed herself up until her feet were balanced upon the beam and she stayed as still as she could managed. Arms stuck out a little to maintain her balance as she looked for the path towards the goal.

She edged her way across the beams, small paces with feet almost touching as she progressed as quickly as she dared before staring up into the gloom. She could reach up and grasp the rough wood easier than the other though her ribs still complained slightly. She squatted slowly, wobbling slightly as she did until she was fully coiled. With a quick rush upwards she launched herself to wrap her forearms over the edge and push herself further upwards with momentum until her waist was level with the boarding and her hands supported her. She shifted one knee up and then the second until she was over and edged forwards carefully.

“So we found your little hide out eh? What now?” she asked as her eye tried to adjust to the darker gloom surrounding them.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on June 18th, 2014, 9:54 pm

"I do not think a straight forward take over will with Stumble," She mused quietly with a frown, "No, we need something much more unique when it comes to holding it. This will not be a simple run in and fight job, nor do I think it will be completely possible to simply take over it bit by bit. No, we need something much more understanding of it." She chewed upon her lip at that point, her eyes pinching down into a focused narrow, "Something lives in that alley, and whilst it may be the answer to us successfully taking over it. I do not want to play blind to it. All rumours and stories must originate from somewhere. And this is one that must be uncovered in order for the Scars to take it. I will not risk lives unnecessarily in this."

There was barely a crack of light she realised quickly, coming from between the boarded up windows that once marked the top of the warehouse. The cool stone of the building came in around them, and the wedged roof coming down and creating further shade. To the right she could see where the rest of the warehouse had come away, the floorboards having given in an age ago and leaving a large gap for the winds to whistle past. Simply, it was dark and cool - just as she liked it. With a sigh of relief she gave a tug at her layers. Fingers felt her way through the gloom, a series of blinks as her eyes adjusted to it. Edges shimmered, the leathers glowing almost in the slit of sunlight that came through. Bringing herself up into a crouch she gave a scrabble away, hands firmly padding upon the boards and ensuring their stability as she moved.

"To be honest Sunshine, when it comes to myself I wouldn't know what to spend coin on," She admitted after a long few thoughtful ticks of silence. Somewhere below she heard the faint groaning of beams, the woman moving her way across them, bit by bit making her way over to where Fallon had disappeared into, "There isn't anything I want for myself. Or anything I need other than food and drink. And maybe somewhere dark and cool to climb into. You may have to advise me on that one also."

Flexing, she felt the sticking of her layers against her flesh and the hold of the suffocating heat still hug against her form. A trickle ran down the back of her neck, her body begging for better release from the leathers that entrapped her so. In the meanwhile she continued to speak her fingers slipping down to the buckles, "Still, here is my proposition for Stumble Alley. Property and the acquisition of it the good old fashion way, some scouting out of the location, and tracing back on the history. I may have to get some help from Eyris on that one." She licked her lips, "Maps, persuasion of the people. And by owning a building or business there it makes one a local there... or would you disagree?"

A dull thud sounded out when the leather slapped against the floor. Beneath the shirt was plastered against her form, sticking and revealing her shape between the creases of the fabric. She moved onto the vambraces and the greaves after that, a gasp as the feeling of freedom came to the hot limbs. Fingers gave a twitch, a quick check of the position of the weapons in comparison to her - the tulwar clinking gently on the floor. Swinging her arms up she leaned back and sprawled out across the floor, the occasional deep intake of breath as she tried to find a level she could cope with. There was only the stead rise and fall now, the low whistle as she exhale and inhaled, "Still... of course there is the issue of business. I think a service sort would be better than one that sold a product. I am not a maker, but... I am a solver."

There was the faintest of groans now, the faint scrabble as she heard the woman pull herself up into the gloom of the upper floor. The head barely lifted, eyes having already adjusted to watch her shuffle awkwardly forward. For a moment she considered bringing herself up, but quickly found no strength to do so. Instead she remained where she was and released the mumbles of communication, "Yes, my little hide out. Or a temporary one at least. Do make yourself at home, it's perfectly sturdy. At least nothing gave way when I shuffled by way across."

She managed to grasp upon her discarded armour and placed it behind her head to prop it up, from there she returned to her sprawled out state, "As for what now, well... the Gods know. I'm not moving, I'm too busy cooling off. Guess that means I am, alas, to your whims. Poor me." She managed to lick her already drying out lips then, a slightly deeper inhale as she sucked in the air. She was certain summer was going to be the defeat of her at this rate - the only issue was that she could not run away from it. She had to stay in the city because she had to lead, and even then it was when the sun finally begun its descent in the sky and into the cooler night time hours. Ironically when the city begun to grow more deadly. Part of her grimaced to that factor.

Fingers reached down and pulled at her water skin, her eyes staring intently at the stopper as she spoke with a mumble, "Sorry for not being around when you awaken in the morning. Or really being there at all really. I know I keep disappearing without a word and miss out on things, not that... I don't know..." Rubbing at her brow she sat herself up in the gloom, her fingers opening the skin as she took another long swig. How much had she drunk already and how much was left? Eyes gave a blink, and sealed it again before she returned to her reclining, "You were the one who said you missed me and came to look for me? Have I really been that evasive?"
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on June 21st, 2014, 3:55 pm

It was as she listened that her vision began to adjust to the dimmer quality of light, the darker and in some ways hazy changes to sight that simple things like roofing could conjure. She dared not move any further from her perch at the entryway, the boards may have taken the weight of the other woman but she knew she was probably heavier despite the weaponry and armor - the curse of being biologically more buxom perhaps. As such she merely found a spot that didn’t creak so much a few shuffling motions into the gloom and sat, leaning carefully onto her elbow with an indrawn breath before the exhale came and she knew she was safe from a considerable fall. Sounds came between the words, the thumping of object slapping the rough boards beneath the pair and she frowned as she tried to discern what they were without being able to truly see them.

That clattering was definitely the weapons, tulwar probably. Too metallic for anything else. That slapping though…slapping…leather? She is taking off her armor? Well I suppose we are safe here, anyone wanting to get to us has to do what we just did. If they can be bothered she mused, listening to the ruffling of clothing now and wondering just how much was being taken off in the bid for a cooler existence of form. She shook her head and cast her mind back to more serious matters.

“I don’t think anything in Sunberth is ever straight forwards, even if people think it can be. There’s always something unexpected, a chance occurrence, someone who wants you to fail,” she started with thoughtfully, “but you’re right indeed. It won’t be east and the first step would be to actually establish something there. Get a presence and from there, well…build outwards. It will probably need to be integrated…organically generating perhaps. But first we need that one spot where we draw the line and say it is ours” she licked her lips and uncorked her skin to take a sip of warm water, not entirely satisfying but it eased the aridity of her tongue.

If there was one thing she could say about this dark little hidey hole it was that it was dusty, clinging to the mouth and making a dry desert even more parched. She could see Fallon now, laid out on the floor and chest rising and falling quickly - clearly trying to cool herself. She shifted and eased her way forwards, creaks and groans sounded out as she turned this way and that, picking her path until she was able to recline an arm’s length away and see the sweat soaked form, the sticky clothing and the impromptu pillow beneath the damp tendrils of hair. She couldn’t help but feel sad for the woman, that whilst others were able to enjoy the blaze of Syna in all her glory she could only suffer it seemed. Still, they were cooler now and perhaps that would assist.

“It’sa nice place you have you know, said it before but this is the best bedroom I’ve ever seen. Lounge combined too seeing as you are making yourself at home also,” she spoke warmly, “I think you are right. Business and location should probably act in unison, a united front. One palce is easier to keep than several at first. You are a problem solver, so solve problems. I am a problem finder so…if you need clients…well I am sure they can be pointed the right direction”

“We have different skills but they can be used to compliment. As to the others, they are fighters. We will be able to given them the battles that they want. Maybe not quite wiping out the Daggerhand but blood and gold all the same. I think, if asked, they would relish the task,” she continued in between pushing her increasing wet hair back across her scalp and trying not to be distracted by the very acute showing of Fallon’s form, “I do not know about things living there but we can search. I will be better at investigating links between people, things, business. The probing of weaknesses…and strengths”

She shrugged then, it was all words until they made it a reality and invariably what was conveyed in her body language and underneath her words was the fact that luck always played a part. They could have the perfect scheme and still be outdone. It was all a matter of using what you had, doing your nest and damning the consequences it seemed these days. She had gathered much she loved of late, wished to reserve and advance. Yet even to her own abilities she had to admit the weaknesses of things that were out of her control. She was only one woman, with one eye and an increasing list of things she didn’t want to lose. She raised her eyebrow at the comment of whims though, that was a sneaky little teasing.

“Whims? Am I so whimsical in nature? I suppose then that I should become more serious hmmm? How’s this?” and with that she frowned and fixed her face into as blank and firm expression as she could.

She kept it up as she talked further, toying with an idea she had been considering herself for years but now saw was not her own, she didn’t truly love it enough to make it so.

“Perhaps you should set up home with a shop front, a business of investigating and…solving…issues for people. You are mercenary in nature enough to solve most with the blade but also smart enough to know when to use words and the quill. You could do well at it, well enough to earn your way and gain a reputation. The front could earn gold whilst the building…the building serves as our headquarters. Until we find something better perhaps” she let the idea go, flickering into the air between them for consideration.

Her mask slipped at the last question though, so unexpected, so…Fallon. Talking about this and that, the changing of subject so suddenly as to catch her off guard and her tongue was stilled in consideration as she looked into the edges of the shadows. If it hadn’t sounded so emotive she’d have suspected she had put her on the spot purposefully, to see what a true answer would be. As if she would have lied at any rate. No…she was being paranoid.

“Evasive? No. Elusive…perhaps. I do not blame you, the heat is something you suffer. Your work and its nature means you go where and when required. I am the same,” she took another small sip of water, conserving it as much as she could and pulled at her sodden blouse ineffectually, toying with it, “you remember that you said you wanted me to come back earlier? Imagine that but reversed. I suppose I wish you left later so I could see you in the morning. Grumbling or not” she chuckled.

“It is not an issue, think no more of it. Summer is…summer. You are you. I am me. I’ll just make sure to take full advantage when winter comes. I have been alone for a long time before Spring. Consider it a learning curve for me and so I miss you at times. As to other dark spots though…there are a few. Have you considered the mines? You could bee cool, shaded, protected and learn how to use the blade more going to and from there” she smiled, it was a fool’s idea but then - in some ways - they were both fools looking for a challenge to stretch themselves with.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next