Solo [The Docks] A Helping Hand

Aoren lends a hand in the repair efforts after the heavy rain.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[The Docks] A Helping Hand

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 2:29 am

20th of Summer, 514 AV
9th Bell

The rains had finally ended. Aoren was glad of that. As with all storms he’d had a rough time of dealing with them. Though the young man did not begrudge whatever god or goddess presided over rain and storms he wasn’t altogether very fond of them. They brought back memories he’d much rather forget. They also had a tendency to be when he got into situations that he would much rather have avoided. Although, he couldn’t say that was entirely true of this particular downpour. Something remarkable had happened to him. Something that he was certain would change his life forever, he’d met his brother.

It was these things and others that occupied Aoren’s thoughts as he made his way through the streets of Zeltiva toward the docks. As he walked he leaned upon his quarterstaff for support. The trials of the past few days had taken their toll upon him. The circumstances leading up to meeting his brother had involved a rather hostile ghost. The phantom had attempted to force itself into Aoren’s body and dominate his mind to turn him into an instrument of revenge. He was glad the experience was over but he was also thankful for what it had brought him.

Bittersweet, like most things in my life.” He shook his head. There was a grumble beside him. Aoren looked down to where his companion, Isikai, padded alongside him. The dog was looking up at him expectantly.

What?” Isikai barked which made Aoren sigh. He shook his head.

Well you can’t expect me to lay around now, can you?” The dog gave a huff and a slight growl. Aoren rolled his eyes giving an exasperated sigh. “I swear…what am I going to do with you? It’s all your fault I was in that mess in the first place. You realize this, right?

Isikai gave a huff and a shake of his head trotting a few steps ahead of the young man. As dangerous as things had been that night, Aoren was still glad of the dog’s companionship. He couldn’t imagine a world without him at this point. As it stood his world was about to become a bit more interesting. A call had been sent out throughout the city for all abled bodies to assist in repairs to the docks caused by flooding. While Aoren was no carpenter he was certain there was some other way that he could be of assistance. He didn’t know what they might need but he simply couldn’t sit around with his own thoughts anymore. He had needed a full day to recover from his ordeal with the ghost. It was something that still made him shiver ever so slightly. He needed to get up and do something. Helping around the city after the rainstorms seemed like a good way to take his mind off the event.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 2:31 am

As he came upon the docks he could see a number of workers toiling about one project or another. Some were working on the docks themselves pounding away with hammers. There were others that were carrying buckets and were swooping them down to carry away the waters that had flooded the area. The moment he saw the workers there, Aoren knew immediately how he could help. His attention was drawn to a station not far from the edge of the docks. There were multiple people there. Some of them looked official while others looked to be just other workers. There was a line leading up to the station where a man was giving direction to people as they approached him. When it was Aoren’s turn the man looked him over from head to toe.

Can I help you?” Aoren was still adjusting to some of the more widespread Zeltivan accents. It sometimes took him a little bit of processing before he was able to grasp completely what someone was saying. He adjusted his grip on his quarterstaff leaning on it for support to take the weight off of his injured leg.

I’ve come to help with the dock efforts.” The man, who he assumed was the Sailor’s Guild official heading the reconstruction efforts gave him a once over. He blinked quite obviously taking note of Aoren’s weak leg, the dog, as well as his stature.

We don’t really have much use for an injured worker. How did you think you could help?” The official blinked at Aoren expectantly. Calling upon his powers in the discipline of Reimancy, Aoren brought up a hand willing the Res that gathered in his palm to attract the element of water. Within moments a stream of water spiraled up to the center of his palm swirling before forming into a sphere. The official narrowed his eyes but when it became apparent Aoren wasn’t going to drown them all or do something crazy he rubbed his chin. After a moment Aoren transmuted his Res to fire that upon contact with the water turned it into a cloud of steam. The wisps of steam wafted up away from his hand blown away by the wind.

I can help with the flood waters. You’ve already got able bodied men and women at work trying to clear them. With my help you can put those hands to work somewhere else.” The official was quiet for a moment or two before sighing.

The men aren’t going to be very happy about a mage being so close, especially after what happened last season.” Aoren was about to speak but the man held up a hand. “But, this could be a good thing. You’re with the University?

Aoren nodded. The University hadn’t exactly sent him here to be of assistance but the fact that he was a student there would no doubt help with their public image. The Sailor’s Guild official considered a few things for a moment before nodding. He pointed to the section of the docks not far from the station where they were standing. There were still men and women at work clearing the flood waters from the area.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 2:33 am

Think you can lend a hand with that?” Aoren considered the amount of water and the area it covered. He had never before attempted to manipulate that much of a single raw element before but he could certainly give it a try. He had been lax in his attempts at mastery over the powers he commanded. It was time to push his limits for that was the only way he was going to grow stronger. He gave the official a nod.

With some concentration and a little creativity, yes.” The official nodded. He raised a hand signaling two brutish looking men. They made their way over to the station giving the official a quizzical look. The man at the station gave Aoren an apologetic smile.

You can’t be too careful can you?” Aoren shrugged his shoulders. He couldn’t begrudge the man for his caution. The terror and mayhem that the escaped mages caused around the city was terrible from what he’d heard. Practically the first night that he was here Aoren had encountered one such mad wizard. A crazed Leecher who was also practiced in Voiding had tried to kill him and a number of other people. It had been quite the welcome to Zeltiva.

Nevertheless it was fortunate that he had been there to offer his assistance to those in need. He waited as the official gave the guards their instructions then when he was given leave to do so, Aoren made his way to a section of where the workers were clearing the waters.

Isikai paid the two men trailing behind him little mind. The dog gave both of them a glance but stuck closely to Aoren’s side for which the Drykas man was grateful. He gave his companion a pat on the head before taking up a position at the edge of the water. Planting his staff he sighed slightly looking out over the work he needed to accomplish. Already the official was giving orders for the workers to clear away from the area so that Aoren could work his magic.

No doubt he also wants them well away from me in case I’m crazy.

The thought made Aoren smile and shake his head. He couldn’t gauge the exact amount of water that was in front of him but it was likely enough to cover a medium sized courtyard. The task seemed daunting even to one of his skill but mostly because he had never attempted to use his magic on such a large scale before. Isikai nudged his leg. For encouragement or for attention it didn’t really matter. He scratched behind the dog’s ear.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 2:35 am

“Alright. Here we go.” Aoren took a steady breath. It was more to relax himself than to call upon his powers. Using his staff to steady himself Aoren lowered into a crouch. He extended his free hand to hover just above the surface of the water. His fingertips barely grazed the surface. With that he began to extrude Res from his hand as a liquid. This was undoubtedly going to be the easy part.

Like an oil mixing with the water his Res glided over the surface of the pond that had formed as a result of the rains. As he both produced more Res and commanded it to spread out Aoren was very attentive to shaping the blanket of Res that he was forming to the contours of the body of water. When finally he had spread his Res out over roughly half of the water he pulled himself back up to his feet.

The difference in his strength was felt immediately. Producing so much Res was new for Aoren so he most certainly noticed the consequences in his body on a more profound level. He felt as if he’d just gone for a decent jog. There was a soreness in the muscles of his legs and a stiffness in his joints that hadn’t been there before. While this was something to keep in mind it was by no means a signal to him that he was nearing the edge of his endurance.

With his Res in place, Aoren willed it to attract the natural water in the environment. He focused his attention on the water in front of him. Through a force of will he commanded his Res to divide into two distinct layers. The tax exerting his will over such a large amount of Res required a little more concentration than he normally afforded but it was manageable.

The layer of Res drifting just over the water he willed to attract the water that was blanketing the immediate area. It was slow going and the natural element certainly resisted the pull of his magic. The edges of the water slowly began to recede. The magnetic attraction toward the Res called to it though the strain of exerting control over so much caused perspiration to form on Aoren’s forehead.

The attempt was successful however and once finished he chilled the Res attracting the water lowering its temperature so that he might be able to dispose of this water in the least harmful manner. When he felt that he had sufficiently lowered the temperature of his Res he transmuted that layer to water. The second layer he quickly transmuted into fire. As the flames mixed with the colder temperatures of the water there was a loud hissing before both elements wove together that, combined with the humidity of the day, produced a light fog that lingered over the immediate area.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 2:36 am

Aoren studied the light fog for a few moments admiring his work. Sweat was quite noticeably dampening his shirt as well as beading upon his forehead. Still, there was now the matter of the fog to deal with. Taking in a deep breath Aoren rolled his shoulders. He adjusted his grip on his staff using it to steady himself. He would undoubtedly need its support once he was finished. As he exhaled he produced a gas that billowed out of his nose, his mouth and from parts of his abdomen. The blue gaseous Res drifted in front of him like an ethereal curtain. Aoren coughed as he felt the weight of his magic use beginning to make itself evident.

Raising a hand he took hold of the gaseous Res with his mind then made a circling gesture with his hand. Slowly the Res began to move. It seemed to shift aimlessly for a moment before drifting together in a single stream that began to circle around the fog. Aoren commanded the ring of gaseous Res to spin faster and faster until it was moving rather rapidly around the fog. Slowly the fog began to follow the current of motion being created by the Res that was flowing around it. As this happened Aoren made an expansive gesture causing his Res to billow out forming a funnel.

The mage is making a hurricane! Stop him! He’ll kill us all!” One of the workers observing the spectacle panicked. A couple of the others shuffled back away from the area. The guards behind him were beginning to grow uneasy. One of them drew his sword taking up a stance. Aoren continued his work. Indeed at this point a cyclone had formed carrying the fog with it. The cerulean twister, while not exactly large enough to cause any damage to a building or do more than perhaps knock an unsteady person off their feet, was certainly a little frightening to behold.

Mage! What are you doing?” Aoren couldn’t exactly answer the guard who called out to him. He needed to concentrate. His lack of a response only served to agitate the man who took a step closer. Isikai growled giving the man pause. Still, he persisted.

I said, what are you doing?” The man took another step closer. Isikai got up from where he sat fixing the guard with a stare. His partner drew his blade taking a step closer advancing upon Aoren from the rear. The scared worker shouted to the guards.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 2:39 am

What are you waiting for!? Kill him before he—“ Mid-sentence Aoren thrust his free hand up into the air causing the gaseous Res to obey the same motion. The foggy cyclone shot up into the sky. When the bottom tip had cleared the tops of the nearby buildings Aoren transmuted the gas into air making a slicing motion with his hand. The air dispersed in all manner of direction carrying the fog with it. The mist dissipated until only thin wisps remained which were quickly carried away by the naturally occurring breeze coming from Matthew’s Bay. The guards ceased their advancement. Aoren’s legs shook slightly and he gripped his staff with both hands for support. Isikai growled at the two guardsmen and silence pervaded the area.

Well! That was exciting!” Aoren looked over his shoulder. The Sailor’s Guild official was walking over to him. He had a tense smile on his face. There was an uneasy edge to his eyes but he strode past the two guardsmen and gave Aoren a firm pat on the back. That simple motion almost sent the young man toppling over but he caught himself. He gave the official a half-hearted laugh.

Thank you. I…” His voice shook. He cleared his throat steadying his vocal chords. “…I apologize for not answering your guards. I needed to concentrate. I also apologize if I frightened anyone.” The official waved away the apologies before giving a very pointed look to the worker who had called for Aoren’s death. The man shuffled away returning to his work with his head hung low.

Impressive. You managed to do an entire morning and early afternoon’s worth of work in minutes. Think you can do it again?” Aoren shook his head.

Not today. I do not think it would be wise for me to do something like that without resting for a while first.” The official nodded giving Aoren another pat on the shoulder.

Probably for the best then. Well, we appreciate your help. Feel free to come back when you get your strength up. We very well might need your kind of assistance again.” Aoren nodded giving the official a smile. He gave Aoren a sharp nod before making shooing gestures with his hands to the guards and the lingering workers. Tightening his grip on his staff Aoren sighed bringing himself to stand up straight. He took a single step forward. His legs felt heavy. His injured one was practically dead weight. He nearly toppled over. Isikai hopped up coming to stand just in front of Aoren bracing him on his weak side. He gave his dog a very grateful smile before making his way quite slowly to a nearby building. With a sigh he slowly lowered himself down onto the ground bracing his back against the wall.

I think we should sit here for a few minutes, boy.” Isikai didn’t seem to have any objections. Aoren ruffled the dog’s fur laying his quarterstaff across his lap. He leaned back against the wall resting his head against the stone. It would be a few minutes before he collected up enough strength to make it back to the dormitories. From there he would probably just sleep for the rest of the day. Overall he felt that he’d been quite productive and this venture had given him a fairly good idea of the limits of his abilities. He could only imagine what he might have been able to do had he been at his full strength.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Neologism on June 30th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Grade Awarded!

Skills

Skill Points
Reimancy +5 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Observation +1 XP
Endurance +3 XP

Lores

➢ Reimancy: Fire Added To Water Makes Steam
➢ Zeltiva: Still Wary of Wizards
➢ Combining Reimancy Water and Natural Water
➢ Reimancy: Lowering The Temperature Of Your Res
➢ Reimancy: Making Mini Hurricanes

Comments

Since I am a JrST, I need to get my grades approved before I can post them. I apologize for any late grades. If you find any problems or are concerned about anything, please let me know and we can work it out. :)
Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)