Closed The Furs of Falyndar (Kavala)

A day in the market between old friends

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Furs of Falyndar (Kavala)

Postby Alaia on July 6th, 2014, 6:54 pm

21st of Summer, 514 AV

The market was full of new vendors and traders that weren’t typically there in Riverfall. Animals and furs of creatures Alaia had never heard of before lined the streets. The pathways were buzzing with the crowd that came out to see what the traders of Falyndar had to offer and to ogle the pets that most of them wouldn’t buy. The size of the crowd was uncomfortable to the Konti but she to curious to see what was here so here she was trying to keep her petite frame as small a possible to minimize the chance she had to bump into someone. The summer heat was bad enough and with the growing crowd it only made it worse, even the loose stitching of her lace dress was of no help when there was no breeze that could make its way through the people of Riverfall.

Sticking slightly to the outskirts of the market the healer ventured over to a stand that seemed to be dedicated to different pieces of leather clothing and fur trimmed dresses. Soft fingers hovered just above the leather of a beautiful light tan jacket that seemed to be long enough to run to the small woman’s ankles, probably something meant to fall mid-calf on a woman of average height. The light tan of the leather reminded her of warm summer sand and she was so tempted to feel the softness under her touch but a bouncing bush of short brown hair and the face of a mature man popped up from behind the item startling Alaia and making her jump slightly. “Good day fine miss!”his voice boomed cheerfully matching the buoyancy of his hair.

“Oh!” The gasp fell from her lips and she backed up a step before she laughed softly in embarrassment at her shock when he showed up. “Good day Sir.” Alaia stepped closer again and looked up at the warm coat that she had been admiring, it was clearly meant for winter and she did need a new winter coat though it never settled well with her to wear something that used to be alive. “Your work is beautiful.” She tilted her sky blue eyes down to his deep brown ones and she smiled again “Welcome to Riverfall.” Her manners were quiet and heartfelt as she watched his eyes crinkle at the corner of his aged, weathered skin.

“I see you found love with my precious Isadora ….” He fingered the fur capped sleeve, soft blonde fur a few shades lighter than the tan leather of the main coat before he looked at her again “.... Isadora here was my precious pet before the poor thing fell ill…” Sadness crossed his face in such a way she wasn’t sure if it was an act to get her to buy the garment or if it was the truth. He was so animated and while that was a blessing for a traveling merchant to have such charisma she never knew if she should believe them or not. As he acted before her she tilted her head to the side, there was something different about him – something she wasn’t quite used to that hinted at the fact he may be more than just a traveling merchant. It was the way he moved, he had a slithering dance of elegance about him that seemed natural and not a part of the emotions on his face. He moved fluidly around her as he continued to talk and remove the jacket from its hanging perch on his mobile store. “I’m Jorinvah … but everyone just calls me Jorin, that’s Jorin dear with a soft ‘J’ and don’t you forget it.” He spoke giving call to spelling of his name with a tease as he pointed out the ‘y’ sound in his shortened nickname.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Jorin.” She was amused, it was hard not to get caught up in the whirlwind of an older man who had the flamboyance of a man who belonged in the theater. As she spoke he brought the coat around her and started to try to coax it on her which made the Konti try to jerk out of his presence. “I’m sorry …” she apologized as she moved away “… but the heat.” It was a flimsy excuse but she didn’t want to touch him, she didn’t want to see anything that may be a part of the male if she could help it. With that said she glanced away from him and Isadora to search the crowd for an escape of any kind. “Really Isadora is beautiful but I can’t afford something as precious as her …” Every bit of trim on the coat was trimmed with the same beautiful and impossibly soft looking fur and Alaia nervously ran a hand through her long waving tresses. “I appreciate it though Jorin.” Wasn't there someone who could save her from being mean to this Merchant when he was just trying to make a living?

The Merchant’s face fell and he seemed disappointed in her denial to try on the coat of his recently departed pet.
“Oh but Miss, Isadora would look so beautiful with your unique features and she will surely keep you warm in the coming winter.” He approached her again and held out the coat for her “Please, just try her on.” His insistent tone broke down her barriers because she was to polite to refuse him, she really was the perfect prey to pounce on in this kind of situation. She wasn’t going to buy Isadora, she knew that but she couldn’t turn him away as she gazed about the crowds for a familiar face. Taking the coat from his hands she slipped it on herself without his help and instantly she began sweating but his squeal of delight made her look back to him “You, sweet Miss, look wonderful in her. You are also wonderful for entertaining an old man like myself.” He circled her and produced a measuring tape from somewhere up his sleeve as he started taking her measurements in the jacket “Yes … well …hmm…” He spoke under his breath as he tugged and prodded at the jacket that was a bit to big for the petite woman. Oh Rak'keli what have I gotten myself into?
Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kavala on July 9th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Kavala was detained as usual. She had meant to head into town to see what all the fuss was when Larik had came in and told her about the new traders setting up in the bazaar but she had to deal with two emergencies first. One was a kelvic pregnancy that wasn't going well. Four hours later and twins - a rarity among the Akalak - mother and babies were doing well. Kavala had made a house call for that one and on the way home had ran into a situation with a woman carrying her badly injured dog towards The Sanctuary to get healing done. Evidently a larger dog had jumped the animal, savaged it, and had barely missed killing it because of the woman and her intervention via a broom.

Unfortunately the little dog had lost an eye. But despite the broken bones as well as a punctured lung, the little dog had a good prognosis and Kavala was able to send him home with his owner with only a few herbal medications to relieve any continuation of issues with the eye. The bones were set, the lung healed, and the animal otherwise wouldn't have any evidence of a battle after some fur grew back. The loss of an eye would not slow the peppy little creature down, but it did put Kavala back for checking out the market.

Her goal wasn't to find the exotic fur traders because of the furs. No... Larik had reported the fur traders to her for something more sinister. They had children with them. And it wasn't just a few children... but a lot, far more than would be accounted for if they were biologically theirs. And from what Larik had said, they weren't being treated well at all. He reported filth, starvation, and conditions that sounded a whole lot like slave trading. Kavala couldn't stand it.. and Larik had known that was on his list of things to report if he ever saw something like that. His Aunt had been adamant.

So she left Ia'del and Ralac with Cadra and Tasi was off with Caelum at the club today, so when the last client was seen too, then she was more than willing to head to the market to investigate. She had also meant to drop by the Labor Aide office.... she needed to hire at least one or two more healers and fast. The clinic was suffering under her divided time, the remodeling plans, and its lack of healers. Caelum opening his own place had taken him mostly out of the picture, though he was there in the mornings before Alements got busy. It helped, quite a bit in fact, but it wasn't enough. Kavala knew she needed more help.

And so when she entered the market, it took her no time to find the new people. The crowd drew her almost at once. She wanted to walk down the length of wares the traders have, get a feel for who they were behind the scenes, and see if she could spot anything before she went snooping around the back of their setup.

At first, Kavala paid no attention to the interactions of the traders and the customers. She busied herself by slipping her palm onto some of the more exotic furs and touching them, letting her Lakata expand and give her impressions of who did the tanning, who did the cleaning, who set up the booth. She didn't get specific answers, but the flashes of hunger and filth were enough to set her on edge. She suspected what Larik thought he saw was absolutely true and the more she touched the more Kavala believed his eagle eyes.

She could have used his eagle eyes because then perhaps the healer wouldn't have been so distracted that she bumped right into one of the customers that was trying to back away from the vendor who was telling her something about a pet now skinned.

The whole thing was off putting and Kavala didn't blame the Konti she gently collided with one bit for stepping back. The healer started to apologize, but then suddenly her jaw dropped and she looked absolutely startled.

"Alaia?" Kavala said, her blue eyes going wide and looking half hopeful half disbelieving. "My gods lady, is that you?" The Konti said, reaching out and grabbing the other slender Konti by the shoulders. "Kavala... remember? From Mura?" The Konti said, feeling dumb because that's all she could think to say. If it wasn't Alaia, then Kavala had just met her twin because this woman looked almost identical to one of her best friends and classmates on Mura.

"Alaia?" Kavala asked again, half hopeful half disbelieving.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alaia on July 10th, 2014, 6:51 pm

The Konti was overwhelmed, the Falyndar man was moving all around her taking the measurements she didn’t want taken and she didn’t want to be stuck here anymore. Just when he cheeks were flushing from the heat and her silent frustrations Alaia heard a voice that seemed like a distant memory. Wide eyes searched the crowd for a matching face, she could have sworn it was … no maybe it wasn’t. She didn’t see the woman she had met years ago and bonded with on Mura but then she spoke again and Alaia honed in on the voice in the crowd. Turning at the sound of her name a second time her bright blue eyes landed on the face that matched the voice from her past. She didn’t even wait pause for a tick– she remembered the woman without fault. Quickly without thought Alaia shed the jacket, Isadora, onto the head of the now disgruntled vendor. “Kavala!” She practically squealed losing her normal calm and serene air and replacing it with that of a much younger girl who hadn’t seen a dear friend in far too long.

The moment she was free of the sweltering coat she was flinging herself at the Drykas-Konti woman and wrapping her arms around her in a tight hug not wanting to let go in case Kavala vanished like a mirage in this heat. When their skin brushed Alaia was bombarded by the feelings of rage and protection that Kavala was being driven by – she was like a lioness inside ready to pounce though Alaia wasn’t sure on what. She also felt the joy mingled in and some more confusing intentions that were spurring the trip down to the market but the smaller Konti couldn’t figure them out. Pulling back she’d beam up at the taller woman with her own joy though in her eyes was reflected concern from what she had just seen when she touched her.

“I can’t believe I’m seeing you right now! How are you? I’ve missed you…” She looked over the other woman to make sure everything was visibly okay before she added “What is wrong?” Alaia’s heart swelled in her chest in a happiness that she hadn’t felt in quite some time. She hadn’t realized how much she had missed the company of the woman who played such a strong role in her life on Mura. Now, standing here in front of Kavala, it was like a hole she didn’t know existed was filled and she suddenly wanted to sweep the woman up and away from the market to catch up on their time apart. However there were more important things on Kavala’s mind, Alaia knew that much and it was enough of a feeling when she had touched the woman that it grounded the shorter woman.

If Kavala let her Alaia would lead the woman farther away from the ears of the vendor she had been briefly caught up in and stepped into a slightly more secluded alley that people weren’t walking up and down.
“I’m sorry … I felt something is wrong.” Her brows knitted in serious concern “I mean I feel that you are here because you’re upset … What are you upset at?” For all the answers Alaia’s gift could give her it often left her with many questions as well. She didn’t usually ask, it usually wasn’t her business but the strength of what she felt in Kavala made it impossible for her to hold her tongue. She would smile at her old friend with embarrassment for intruding on the things that hadn’t been said out loud and for allowing them to dampen the reunion between the pair. The reunion could be celebrated once Alaia made sure everything was okay.
Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1