Completed The Expense of Loyalty

Toan's turn to buy art supplies turns into an fruitful one, as he soon invests in a unusual companion.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

The Expense of Loyalty

Postby Toan Onox on July 9th, 2014, 7:59 am

The Expense of Loyalty
Summer 1st 514 AV, 11th Bell

The Flaxen District. It was certainly a place that some could consider vile to be at, whether it was the smell or the company one could find here if they knew where exactly to look. Yes it was a place not for the faint of heart but then again, Nyka was never the place for soft people to remain in seeing as how it was brutish and... different. But here! Here was the best part of the city, that is if you were to ask Toan of course. He loved this part of the city namely for the businesses that could be found here, not because there was the Theater nearby which was famous for keeping loads of comforting company, but because it supplied the city with one of the most wonderful essentials that made economy thrive. Money.

Though there was all sorts of smells that permeated the district which either made one smell in delight or disgust, Toan couldn't help but enjoy the belief that within the mix and mash of sweat and body odor, fabric and dye color, and of course of what little remains of fish that trailed from the docks, underneath it was the masked smell of fresh gold to be had, to be scooped out from under the noses of those that traversed the streets here as they tended to their oh so important tasks. Scrap that! Whatever menial things they needed paled in comparison to the truth that people just loved to spend money, and if there was one thing Toan felt in regards to merchants and thieves, it was that both wanted to take money off everyone else's hands. Good thing I'm not here to lighten purposes today though. He mused as he looked down at his travel bag, inside it contained the newly bought sketch paper and charcoal he'd be using for more drawing. He hadn't become quite renown as an artist yet, but it was his goal to develop such a reputation before he pursued any other ambitions.

His hidden agenda required planning after all, and what better way to plan other than use a mask to hide behind and cover up with. That was all things he would delve thoroughly into in due time, for now though he needed to focus on the important thing and that was making a name for himself. And it seemed the best way to do that, was by no other than drawing his heart out until the paper literally spoke for him. Such a notion was silly of course but performance did speak better than one's own words at times. "Step right up now! We've got quite a few good slaves to sell, all for a good price no less!" A peddler declared amongst a gathered crowd as Toan tried to shuffle past, he had to admit there were a few good looking bunch gathered in the group of dreary crowd with chains. Some were men and few were women, even fewer were children now that Toan took interest in counting.

The peddler continued to go on about his selection and show off what he could of the slaves, almost all were willing to cooperate save for one of them. A man who looked young, hardly old enough to be called a man just yet at least. His gingerly hair color was a stand alone cry out, but alas the need to reluctantly follow given orders was enough to amuse Toan. What did the artist see in this young fellow? He wasn't sure off hand, but nevertheless in watching the individual he paid closer attention, and in turn felt the gears in his head rotate during the process. "Here folks, we have right here a genuine Kelvic. One that's quick on his feet and good with his hands at least, teach him to keep that mouth shut and you'll have a golden fellow to own." He probed as the onlookers would laugh along, the petty joke sour to the young slave as he crossed his arms in disgust. He was thin but that could very be from lack of proper diet, yet there was truth to the peddler's words though. He looked strong once, strong in the legs more than the arms, nimble as though he were light on his feet. Nobody seemed interested in him at all, at least not a soul had the look as though they were sold.

"What's his shape?" The artist called out as he wormed his way between two lofty individuals with an abundance of color on their adorned garbs, at first he only received lost and curious glances from those around him before the peddler finally caught on.

"Interested in a Kelvic then ser? This one here can turn into a fox, not much of a hunter but a fine specimen to have to be sure."

"I see." Toan stroked his chin in thought as he considered the usefulness in owning a pet such as a fox. Silent and quick, bound to be a good tracker if not scavenger. This proved to have potential, seeing as how he himself needed an asset to have around after all. And what good and fun would it be to practice his secret trade alone, when in fact having a partner could very well benefit the both of them in the long run? "How much?" Murmurs. They were certainly the easy way to know when a group had to cast whispers, low words spared between closer individuals as they shared a set thought or opinion. Yes. Toan no doubt started to make a slight impression on these folk, but whether that was good or bad he cared little. He could make the better if not the best of out, later on in the long haul of his schemes.

"Ah! So you're interested then ser! For you, I'll let this one go for the price of six hundred gold Miza!" He offered with a slightly pleased remark, he believed after all that Toan was already a bought soul. Which of course he was in this case, though there was more to this purchase than what the artist let on.

"Done." Cue the raise of the eyebrows and continued murmurs, people talked and when they did Toan held his head high with pride. It must've astonished some to hear the proposition be accepted so quickly, even the peddler looked a little stunned with the sudden struck of a bargain made. The Kelvic's feral eyes were wide as he watched Toan step forward, the bag over his shoulder brought up and opened to reveal six pouches of gold Miza's resting inside. "I happen to have that portion with me today."
Last edited by Toan Onox on July 24th, 2014, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Toan's words" Toan's thoughts "Ven's words" Ven's thoughts "Other's words"

Ricky - Byron
Journal - Plotnotes
Scrapbook - Image Edits - Updates - Vlogs
10-14-14 Update: Toan will be sent to Sunberth after his significant events in Nyka have been wrapped up!
Toan Onox
"I play the leading man."

Words: 109863
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2011, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Expense of Loyalty

Postby Toan Onox on July 9th, 2014, 9:03 am

Yes the time to make a show out of it had come to pass and sure enough Toan had found himself with a new found follower, the Kelvic had shown reluctance in tagging along just as he did so before but all the same he was quiet in his stubborn glum exterior he held. The two were already off to another part of the district now as Toan took little care to eye his newly purchased companion. "Got a name boy? Can't just call you slave or pet now can I? Ginger isn't something that you would like either now is it." A scoff was heard from the slouch next to him, followed by an few scratches made towards the leather collar that was on his neck. Now that Toan did finally look at the boy he did look a little drab in the tattered clothing he wore, practically shirtless the boy had only tattered trousers on that were torn the size of shorts no less. Shoes weren't obviously a luxury either, given that he was barefoot while they walked along the street.

"The name can wait I assume, we should probably look to improve your attire. Can't be the only one to look this good while we run around now can we?"

"Ya think that makes you look good?" The Kelvic uttered with a silent notion to Toan's outfit, a smirk soon came from the artist as he mused in the moment.

"He speaks then! Good to know."

"Yeah, I speak. I'm rather good at it or so I'm told, insultin' people and crackin' jokes is my specialty even."

"Thank Ovek for such wonderful luck then. Listen boy we can go about this all day if you like, but I find the whole opposition act to be petty. It's beneath one such as you and certainly me."

The Kelvic's eyes shot over to him with furrowed brows, interest locked within them as he tested that statement. "That so? Just what exactly do ya want?"

"Why, I already have what I want of course. I bought it back there at the peddler's hands no less, what I plan to do with what I want is more important." The Kelvic's eyebrows raised then as both were officially staring at one another, the smirk on Toan's face large as they headed on into the Celestial Garb. "I need me a faithful companion to join with me on an ambitious dream of mine, one that will result in beneficial rewards should that loyal companion decide to help me out." They were walking along the aisles of the store now as Toan shuffled through the assortment of goods with his eyes. "Now that I've found, or rather, bought that companion; I'm certain you'll be gracious enough to return the favor."

"So ya bought me just so ya could play dress up and use me?" He pushed a little further, leaving Toan to stop in his tracks for a moment as he took a moment to find the proper words to say next.

"That's right," He turned around with eyes focused on the Kelvic then, "I only bought you with the intention of using you, but not without of course the basic idea of returning that use with a reward. Of course, I saved you from probably a worse fate had you not been purchased by someone other than me, if not even bought at all." It was an unusual concept that the required a moment for the Kelvic to try and grasp, but Toan hardly waited to let everything he said sink in. "Help me to help you boy, don't forsake me so quickly when I could very well offer you valuable rewards. Imagine the wonders we can pull together, all dependent on the fact on whether or not you choose to give your loyalty to me." He twisted around once more to continue walking forward, the Kelvic lost in his thoughts then as he continued to follow. Overall the artist believed his work to be going well so far, he was already halfway in the store looking at some things for the Kelvic, and at the same time nearly convinced the animal to be on his side.

Ricky - Byron
Journal - Plotnotes
10-14-14 Update: Toan will be sent to Sunberth after his significant events in Nyka have been wrapped up!
Toan Onox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Expense of Loyalty

Postby Toan Onox on July 24th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Toan had already made his way around with some clothes pulled off the shelves, his assumptions led him to believe the Kelvic wore about medium sized clothing as they walked through the store. It was then he noticed a little girl, Nya as it was, that happened to be watching as he did his shopping. Her eyes were curiously zoned on him and the Kelvic man, curious as to what she may discover in hoping to secretly eavesdrop on them. He grinned right then. For someone so young she certainly proved to be interesting, yet all the same he hadn't really been as focused on Ireth anymore. After all she was a mother now, and it was definitely best for her to remain away, lest he drag her into something he didn't want her involved in.

"Greetings," Toan stated to the older man behind the counter, "I'd like to purchase these good sir."

"Alright then, let's see what you have." He cheered with a warm smile on his face, the two had a short conversation with one another momentarily of course. One that wasn't highly important as it remarked upon the weather in Nyka and the like, after Toan made his purchase and the clothes were returned to him he gave appreciation to the older fellow, and then both he and the Kelvic were already off in the direction that led them to the Celestial Quarter. They had to return to his room after all so they could return to his room, and in turn continue to 'commune' with one another as he tried to win the Kelvic over.

13th Bell

With the two finally in his room the Kelvic was already trying on the new clothes that he'd been given, a green tunic with a red vest worn over it with beige trousers and of course sandals to make walking around a little less painful for him. Overall the boy looked rather spiffy and colorful just like the average Nykan, something Toan felt quite proud of accomplishing all the same. "That suits you well my boy, but now that I've made sure you have clothes on your back you need a name, unless you have one already that you've kept from me."

"I did have a name I guess, until I was sold to the guy you purchased me from."

"Oh? Well if you want to use that name then we can, tell me what what did he call you?"

"Tar."

"That so? Not much of a name." Toan looked vexed at it, curious as to how someone could simply go by "Tar" all the time. No... the boy needed a real name, a name that was by far more interesting. More fancy as it held a mysterious feel to it. Toan thought on it as the Kelvic watched him curiously, until at last an idea seemed to hit the artist all of a sudden. "I have a better name in mind! We'll call you Ventarus, or Ven for short. How does that sound?"

"Ven...tarus?" He looked lost then, the new name likely too sudden for him.

"Yes! Ventarus the Sly! The Kelvic companion to the magnificently daring, and handsome, Toan Onox! The name has an pretty good ring to it." Toan's enthusiasm was met with a wry smile as Ven seemed to already accept the new name.

"Okay, sounds good to me." He agreed as he repeated the name a second time. Ventarus the Sly. He must've felt it more appropriate for him compared to the simple "Tar" he had before.

Receipt5 GM 6 SM 3 CM - Medium Cotton Red Vest
9 GM 4 SM - Medium Cotton Green Tunic
15 GM - Medium Cotton Beige Trousers
2 SM - Medium Sandals

Ricky - Byron
Journal - Plotnotes
Toan Onox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Expense of Loyalty

Postby Toan Onox on August 16th, 2014, 5:49 am

It took a period of meal time for Toan to realize that Ven had a collar around his neck, a leather collar that definitely proved to be a bother for the Kelvic. Though he made no clarification about it the other languages presentable spoke for him, itchy neck with red marks from the collar rubbed the skin to long. It definitely looked uncomfortable to wear, and given that each bite of bread the Kelvic had to swallow required him raising his head some, Toan definitely felt as though his own neck were already being constricted after noticing it. It was such a shame to see such a thing, yet there was something that could be done about it. The collar could be removed. "Ven my boy," Toan spoke while he chewed the food still in his mouth, "how long have you had to wear that collar?" He used the time Ven would take to answer precariously, and tried to finish chewing his bite before he would give a proper response.

"For a while now, I don't know how long."

"Lost count of the days?"

"Don't even know how to count really." Ven answered with his attention still focused on the bread in front of him, he took a drink from the flask Toan handed over to help wash it down in turn.

"And you're fine with wearing it?" Toan placed his portion on the table next to his bed as he stood up, and went over to Ven to kneel down and inspect the collar further.

"Its a part of my life now. Sometimes it bothers me but I'm used to it." Ven shrugged it off with an awkward look on his face, curious as to why Toan became so interested in it.

"Does it allow you to transform? Or do whatever it is you Kelvics do?" Closer inspection led Toan to see that the collar wasn't skin tight but it definitely chafe the poor boy, given that there was present signs of irritation around the front of Ven's throat.

"Shapeshift? No. They give us these so we can't shapeshift into animals, because they're afraid we may fight back or run away once we do."

"A wicked method of control..." Toan mused as he looked over at his travel pack with an idea in mind. "What if I told that I could remove it... and vow to never put another one on you, that is not unless there is a specific reason which would call for it."

Ven's eyes went wide as he looked up to his master, curious as to why Toan would suggest doing such a thing. "I would... I would..."

"Be eternally grateful? No surprise," The artist chuckled as he slid over to his sack, his hands already quick to pilfer within until he brought out the tool he'd need to make this happen, "you'll have to trust me now. This won't be easy and will likely hurt quite a bit, but the end result will be much more satisfactory in the long run."

"What's that suppose to mean?" The Kelvic questioned curiously as though he hadn't really heard the term, Toan was behind the boy now with the dagger ready as he looked at it and the collar to see how he would go about cutting the leather.

"Satisfactory. Meaning you'll be glad enough I did this anyways, hang tight and hold your breath dear boy. This is going to hurt." At the given warning Ven tensed up and inhaled as much as he could, as Toan gripped at the collar and slid as many fingers as he could underneath. Two. Two fingers meant he had just barely enough room to cut the leather, even so he couldn't pull the dagger towards him to naturally cut it. He would have to do it in a crooked sort of manner, so he could avoid cutting skin while he was at it. Ven exhaled when Toan pulled his fingers out, a pat on the Kelvic's shoulder followed as he warned Ven of the first tempt. "This'll be cold at first, hold your breath for as long as you can, and by all means... don't struggle otherwise I could very well cut you."

The Kelvic's eyes widened in fear as he tensed once more, the tip of the dagger then slid underneath the collar. Toan could tell that the metal surprised Ven when its chilly surface touched his skin, yet he remained firm as enough of the blade had been slid underneath the color. Next Toan took only one of his fingers and slid it underneath to pull against the color, the part which would be painful for Ven as it no doubt started to choke the poor boy. But there was no time to waste, the dagger was already in place and now all he had to do was cut the leather. And so Toan did his best to pull the dagger to the side, and when he finally caught the collar on the edge of the blade, he started to carefully saw as he pressed the leather against it with his thumb.

Ricky - Byron
Journal - Plotnotes
Toan Onox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Expense of Loyalty

Postby Toan Onox on August 16th, 2014, 6:16 am

He pressed and pressed and he could hear that Ven definitely had problems with breathing, and of course his urges to struggle were no doubt becoming difficult to suppress with each passing tick. When the Kelvic finally started to grip at the collar at his neck, Toan submitted and in turn made sure the blade remained flat against his skin before the finger was released. "Alright alright alright! Easy now, breathe boy breathe!" He encouraged as Ven released his contained air and panted frantically. "Don't move or raise your head back, lest you want a dagger poking in the behind of your skull." Ven definitely looked scared now, afraid to really move any part of his body as he continued to breathe rapidly for precious air.

"Deep breathes dear boy, deep breathes and you'll be fine." He encouraged as Ven seemed to be wary of the second attempt, when that finally arrived he made sure to take a deep breath at the hint of Toan about to begin. "Ready now? Deep breathe, and.... hold!" He issued as he bent Ven's head forward, with a slip of his finger under the collar again he resumed where they'd left off the first time. Toan already knew that this had to put a strain on the Kelvic, but it was an act that would soon set the boy free from the very thing that contained what made him unique. The cutting had started and with the small space he had to work with, Toan had to carefully move the dagger in a saw like motion to help it cut further into the strap. Halfway there now, and it was met with a muffled groan as the Kelvic pleaded for more air.

"Just a moment boy, its almost there I promise." He encouraged as Ven went from gripping the collar to gripping his bread. The Kelvic squeezed it as hard as he could, tearing it apart slowly in the process as the ticks continued to pass. His face started to turn a bright red a few ticks afterwards as Toan had just nearly cut through the leather, until at last the strap of the collar no longer had the strength to resist and gave way to the sharp edge of the dagger. The collar snapped as Toan pulled the dagger back and away from Ven, while the Kelvic exhaled loudly with a few coughs to follow as he gasped for air. "There we go! That's much better now isn't it!"

It took a chime or two until Ven finally seemed able to speak, yet when he did he gave a Toan a glare just before he said anything. "That wasn't anywhere near better!"

"And yet you're breathing free air again, you're a collar free Kelvic now." Toan pointed out as he flashed the flimsy leather collar in front of Ven. "Now you don't ever have to worry about wearing one again, and should I be forced to put one on you it will certainly not be leather." He tossed the strap aside and sat on his bum next to Ven, a hand placed on the boy's shoulder as he gave Ven a grin. "How's it feel?"

"Stings." Ven said hoarsely as he massaged his thyroid. "Better though now that the damned thing's off."

"I bet," Toan agreed, "Now why don't you relax for a bit. In fact if you feel like it you can show me your other form." The suggestion was met with a look from Ven, one that showed disbelief and a question in his master's intent.

"You really want to see it?"

"Dear boy I'm dying with curiosity. Only if you want to show it to me though!" He urged to the Kelvic, not that it stopped the Kelvic from jumping up excitedly. Ven was quick to stand a few feet back and start stripping, Toan looked bemused at the scene as it only took less than a chime for the boy to be completely nude before him. Well... that was certainly unexpected. Of course he soon learned just why Ven decided to take his clothes off beforehand, as a bright light glimmered around him to highlight his skin. Within a moment's notice the Kelvic was soon enveloped in a bright flash that blinded Toan, and when the artist adjusted his eyes a fox with brilliant and beautiful red fur sat on the floor before him.

Ricky - Byron
Journal - Plotnotes
Toan Onox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Expense of Loyalty

Postby Keene Ward on January 2nd, 2015, 5:47 am

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."
- Poirot

Toan :
Skills:
  • Observation | +5 EXP
    Rhetoric | +3 EXP
    Socialization | +5 EXP
    Investigation | +1 EXP
    Persuasion | +3 EXP
    Leatherworking | +1
Lores:
  • Purchasing a Slave
    Persuasion: Exchange of Favors
    Ventarus: The Fox Kelvic
    Ventarus: Personal Slave
    Kelvics: Suppressable Shifting
    Weapon: Knife: Sawing Isn't Very Effective
    Persuasion: Invested Interest
    Kelvics: Transformation
    Kelvics: Transform Nude

Post Script :
Please subtract 635GM 3CM from your ledger for the following: Medium Green Tunic, Medium Red Vest, Medium Beige Trousers, Leather Sandals, Kelvic Slave (600 GM), and a broken Kelvic Collar (5 GM). Congratulations! You're now the proud owner of a Kelvic slave! Please add these items to your inventory!

This was a fun thread to red! Toan gets a friend. :D Sort of. Just a heads up, typically a collar would restrict a Kelvic in human from from growing larger. As foxes are small than humans, Ven would probably have been a fox with a smaller collar to keep him from turning into a human. :)

PM me if you have any questions!
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)