Closed Mutable Like Wax

Kavala and a new friend have a long talk over a philtering pot.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Kavala on July 17th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Timestamp: Summer 70, 514 AV

Unless they knew her, most people would be surprised at how domestic Kavala could get. The impression Konti's often gave the world were that they were reserved, disconnected, and not hardworking like the rest of the masses. That would never be Kavala Denusk. Even with the success of The Sanctuary, Kavala had a mindset that forced her to try and make everything she could on her own. She worked hard, day in and day out, doing for herself rather than letting others do for her. That meant everything The Sanctuary needed to run was often prepared or came into being at The Sanctuary itself and usually at Kavala's hands. Most all the medications, ingredients to medications, and supplies used in the day to day operations were done right on the site. Kavala hated spending money when whatever they needed could be made. That went for soaps, lotions, oils, and even such things as cosmetics and sanitizers. Things made of cloth and clothing she often had brought in by locals were reused, recycled, and re-purposed after their original intentions were completed.

This was one of the main reasons Kavala was so adamant about being a beekeeper. Her hives had doubled this year and as one of the boons she'd enjoyed were the fallout of fresh beeswax she'd gotten from either working her hives or removing excess comb the bees built where she did not want them to build. Wax cappings from the harvest of honey last year had also been saved. So the Mistress of The Sanctuary had buckets of the stuff saved, all dried, some filled with the corpses of tiny rotting drones where she'd trimmed off unwanted drone comb off frames that hadn't been good for the hive or which had held a great many mites. And into the buckets all excess wax went, to be saved for a day like today.

The day was for rendering wax. And Kavala was all set up in the gardens across from the pool that she built with reimancy last winter for ice skating. It had sat since then, alone, the waters ruffled only by the quiet play of the wind until she herself broke its surface with her sometimes chidllike play either on blades or in its cool azure waters. This time, however, it was filled with cool fresh water so the healers and patients could use it when they needed too. She had a fire built in a fire pit and a huge cauldron set up on a tripod above it. The cauldron was filled with water that was happily boiling while Kavala added piece after piece of wax comb or capping to the pot. The water was dissolving the wax and melting it into liquid form.

A toddler with a big grin on his face was roaming around with an enormous ladle that the Konti sometimes helped him insert into the water and stir. But she was careful to never let him get too close to the flames and he never was allowed to without her help.

The smell was something fowl, not because of the beeswax which added a sweet soothing flavor to the wind. But the particulates in the wax, sometimes the carcasses of dead insects in the form of larval bees, were also boiling in the water. The Konti had a skimmer that she was skimming the debris from the liquid as the wax melted and tossing it into the fire.

Nearby on a blanket, two infants slept soundly. A house cat curled up among them seemingly keeping watch on them for when their Konti mother was distracted. All in all the entire scene was visible from the main entrance where the gate had been left open for visitors and clients alike.

Map

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Hirem on July 19th, 2014, 12:03 am

The road was unfamiliar to him, yet Hirem felt at home upon it.

It was not hard to find directions towards Kavala Denusk's Sanctuary. "North of the city, west of the main road, perched next to the Suvan. Impossible to miss." He had only needed to do just a fraction of digging before he stumbled upon this information, from a nondescript patron of the Alements tavern. The Konti had left quite an impression upon the city of Riverfall, understandably so - Hirem had only gotten a single chance to speak with her, and that short time had managed to change his outlook on the future. And, in one lifetime, she's managed to lay the seeds down for the rebirth of something as wondrous as the Cytali. Even now, almost fifty full days after that brief talk, the Benshira still devoted a significant portion of his day to ruminating over her impactful words, wondering if he could really devote himself once more to the cause she offered him. But instead of contemplation, he had been greeted this morning with a singular and determined thought: I must speak with her again. It was a compulsion that was impossible to resist.

He set out for the Sanctuary at mid-day, venturing onto the Kabrin Road himself and declining offers of companionship. Though he had been sternly warned of the dangers that lurked within the Sea of Grass - glassbeaks, Zith raiders, and worse - he felt that this short journey was one that he had to undertake himself. He walked along the narrow trade road with a composed and solemn expression on his face, enjoying the distant music of the Suvan and the brightness of the morning sky. The heat wave that had so thoroughly plagued Riverfall had not yet relented its death-grip upon the city, but Hirem found that he had already grown intimately accustomed with the heat. He walked without fear of falling weak to heatstroke, using this blessedly quiet time to explore the depths of his thoughts and determine what direction his path was tending towards. After a few chimes of steady walking, the Benshira slipped into a relaxed state, an easy-going smile emerging on his tanned features and his hand instinctively clenching around an imagined walking staff. I should carve myself another, the trifling thought emerged. He no longer needed a staff to support his ventures through the broken terrain of Eyktol, but he found that he missed the calming monotony it offered him during his long journeys.

The rest of his emotions were a great deal more complex. On the whole, he was looking forward to another chat with the impossibly wise and knowledgeable Kavala... but he was also intimidated by the prospect of meeting with her again. The last time they had spoken, she had advised him to come back only with confidence, with the absolute assurance, that he was ready to devote himself to one future or another. There was still no doubt in his heart that his being, the culmination of his many lifetimes and lifetimes to come, was intimately tied with the fate of the Cytali, but that didn't mean that there wasn't doubt in other parts of his soul. He wanted to believe in Kavala and the Dreamwalkers, he wanted to believe in their crusade so badly that it hurt, but his own experiences in this brief life had left him soured towards the causes that he chose to embrace. I have been wrong time and time again in the past... it says a lot about a man when his decision to embark into Hai itself is the only good decision he's ever made. Can I reward Denusk's faith with the determination that she deserves? Can I reward Nysel's trust with the absolute conviction that his cause demands? Yahal will me the strength to endure, I am assured of that... the only question is whether or not I have the willpower to put it into use.

The closer he came to reaching the Sanctuary, however, the more at ease Hirem felt. His worries, stresses, and confusions slipped away from his mind, joining his nightly terrors in the realm of the unthinkable. A serene calm came over him, and he began to feel a sense of excitement well up deep inside himself - excitement at the prospect of seeing this great place of purpose that Kavala had built for herself. Perhaps I too will find myself committed to its upkeep, as soon as I am bestowed with a vision of its walls.

Lo and behold, the first view he got of the Sanctuary did not disappoint.

His first impression of the site was that it was immensely secure. The large stone walls that flanked the building in a rectangular fashion reminded him of the high walls that graced Yahebah's perimeter, further allowing him to think of this new location as a possible home. Beyond the Sanctuary's extent was the gorgeous Suvan Sea, taking Hirem's breath away as he imagined the sort of vista the staff of this location must be treated to. I never imagined that a heaven such as this could exist on Mizahar, nor did I ever think that I would have a place in it... yet here it is, and the gates are wide open to allow my trespass. Deep down, he wondered if he wasn't overreacting to the Sanctuary's appearance, if he wasn't attributing beauty to the place just because it was where the Cytali would eventually call him. But he quelled this thought, by reminding himself that beauty was beauty no matter the context, and deserved to be cherished wherever it was found.

Walking through the gatehouse purposefully, Hirem surveyed the Sanctuary's inner courtyard and tried to make sense of the various buildings clustered within its walls. Standing at the gate, he could see stables, an open paddock for livestock, barns, gardens, an immense pool of water... and, looking deeper, Kavala herself. She was sitting a little ways apart from the gate, within a small grove of flowers and trees, attending to a large cauldron that bubbled with strange material. Adventuring beside her was a young child, aged only a few years at most, skinned like an Akalak and looking for all the world like the happiest boy in existence. And though his view of them was faint, the Benshira thought that he could also spy a pair of babes resting quietly on a blanket that was spread out near the Konti. Though he could not be assured that Kavala was the mother of these children, it was impossible to doubt the familial connection in the occasional glances she afforded him and the bright smiles he offered her. Of course she is a mother. Being a parent lends itself to a wisdom of a different sort, and Kavala nurtured my weakness as only a healer, and a mother, could.

Mustering the courage to speak, Hirem advanced deeper into the Sanctuary and raised a hand in greeting to the Konti. "Falim, my friend. It is good to see you again. Though the days have been long since we last talked, I have not forgotten what we spoke of." Then, looking down to the child, the Benshira dropped to a knee and offered the boy a broad, genuine smile. "And falim to you as well, little one. My name is Hirem, from the tents of Alachi, of the sons of Rapa. It is my pleasure to meet you."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Kavala on August 13th, 2014, 9:53 am

The Konti glanced up at the sound of the greeting. Kavala set aside the skimmer she’d been using to partially filter the liquid wax, and hung it on the tripod. Then she wiped her hands and offered Hirem a heart-felt smile and approached. She returned his greeting with a bow of respect and gave him a Drykas-typical response. “Fair winds and tall grass to you as well, Hirem. You are very welcome here.” She said, and then gestured to a second blanket that had been out of his sight as he approached. It had a book on it, an ink well, and a half dozen quill pens that looked like the wind had blown over. She’d obviously been writing something down, perhaps taking notes on the wax rendering she’d been doing. But regardless, the blanket had plenty of room for multiple people, and her gesture towards it was obviously inviting.

“You have not met my children… well some of them. This boy…” She indicated the toddler that was perhaps three or four years old. “… is my son Tasival. His brother Ralac is asleep on the blanket over under the shade tree as is his sister Ia’del. Between them curled up is my niece Cadra. She’s very watchful. Her twin brother Larik will probably be along soon. He’s out taking a flight to check the herds before he rejoins us.” She said, making introductions around, even though the babes were obviously asleep and the toddler was hugely distracted removing a spiderweb from what looked like a magnolia tree.

“Please… sit. Be comfortable. I’ll fix you some tea.” She said, gesturing to a carafe that sat on a low table in the shade by the babies. Kavala walked over, picked up a glass, and swirled her hand over it. From her palms a rain of frozen water in the form of ice cubes filled the glass. Then she picked up the carafe and filled the remainder of the glass with already brewed tea from the carafe. Next she garnished it with a bit of mint and walked it over to him. “Iced Tea… it is very refreshing.” The Konti added and waited to see if the Benshira would get comfortable. If he did, she’d speak once more.

“So, Hirem, what brings you there today?” She said gently, curious but not in an unwelcoming way.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Hirem on September 18th, 2014, 5:50 pm

"Tasival... Ralac... Ia'del... Cadra... Larik," Hirem repeated after Kavala, his voice low and his eyes bright with mirth. He delighted in youth and enjoyed the company of children, for their innocent smiles ignited hope deep within his heart. No matter what horrors the next generation may bring, the children that go to meet them may always become well prepared... so long as they are gifted a pure heart, kind education, and strong morals. Perhaps he inherited this trait from his father Raim, for he had fond memories of his father's broad smile and tender words towards the children of the Tent. "Come now little ones," he would always say, waving his large staff about and letting the children place their hands on his immaculate, finely stitched robe, "come now, and we shall speak of gods." In a way, looking at Kavala's family made him feel jealous as well, for her family was so broad and encompassing while his... wasn't. But he did not express this jealousy with bitterness, but with a sombre, reserved quiet.

"Wait," he then said, doing a double take. "Where did you say Cadra was?" A brief sense of alarm thrilled him, making him rise to his feet and search the yard for the missing niece. The Konti had reported Cadra slumbering between the two young infants, yet Hirem only saw a large house cat reclining there, purring contentedly... Wait. "Is..." he tentatively began, glancing once at Kavala for reassurance. "Is Cadra Kelvic?" Ordinarily, the Benshiran would never consider the preposterous notion that a simple house cat could, in fact, be a shape changer, but he didn't trust anything around Kavala to be ordinary. Taking into account the Sanctuary's reputation for being a ground for healing Kelvics as well as normal animals... well, it wasn't important who or what Cadra was. The important thing was, she was part of Kavala's family. That was enough for Hirem. I doubt anyone that lives in the Konti's orbit could be aligned against her.

Taking up Kavala's suggestion and taking a seat on the proffered blanket, Hirem busied his time with observations of the Sanctuary as the healer fixed him a drink. His eyes trailed along the walls of the establishment and everything in between, and slowly he came to the realization of what this place truly was. More than anything else, Kavala has sought to make this place an actual sanctuary... a world displaced from everything else, where the concerns of the outside lands are foreign and irrelevant. She has opened up a hole in the land of Cyphrus, and filled that hole with as much benevolence as one woman can muster, to make this place where animals, man, and Kelvic can be safe. If this is the birthplace of the reborn Cytali, then the Cytali must be truly supernatural. Noting the approach of the Konti, Hirem reached out and accepted the glass from her outstretched hand. "Iced tea?" He murmured, looking down at the drink and taking a delicate sip from it. The results were...

Were...

In a few moments, Hirem had drained half the glass, his eyes closed and his expression one of pure delight. "By the gods!" He breathed after finally setting down the glass, wiping his lips dry. "What I wouldn't have done for a drink like that in Yahebah!" Looking back on his past, he knew that he must have had similarly refreshing drinks at one point, but none of the memories compared to the delicious chill the tea brought to his throat. He would have sucked down the rest of the glass, but figured that waiting to finish would be more polite. Breathing through his nostrils and smiling absentmindedly, Hirem then turned his attention to the question Kavala posed him. “So, Hirem, what brings you there today?” Nodding slowly, he tried to determine how best to phrase his complex feelings. Part of him wanted to swear fealty to the Cytali right now, the other wanted to reaffirm his belief in Caelum's crusade, and a third... didn't know what to think just yet. I'm getting old for grand quests, and learning how to use magic... well, I don't know where to begin.

"I've not come to you to swear myself to the Cytali," he began, cutting immediately to the heart of the matter. "Something in my heart tells me I am not ready yet, that there are other concerns I must attend to before I can devote my soul once more to the battle. But I have come to learn, if you would permit it." Easing out his legs on the blanket, Hirem glanced towards the simmering wax pot and found a small smile growing on his face. As you mould the wax to suit your designs, so too I ask that you mould me into a man that can fight for what he believes in. "I know so very little of Nysel, of magic, of the world. My entire life has been spent worshipping Yahal and surviving the Burning Lands... everything else is unknown to me. I must know more before I pledge myself to your cause. Especially of Nysel," he added, turning to her intently. "I have no idea what type of divinity he may be. Is he just? Is there reason to his actions? What does he demand from his Dreamwalkers? And how might I reach out to him?"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Kavala on October 4th, 2014, 1:28 am

She knew it was a lot to digest. Kavala was a woman with three children, on her own, and a business owner at that. She ran a healing clinic and was trying to secretly start an underground sect that had the potential to change the future of Mizahar. And yet here Hirem was, not running, not shying away like most people would, but visiting and genuinely interested in her life. She appreciated that and wondered suddenly if Hirem could be more than just someone she knew and someone who’s life interested her. She wondered if there was a potential for a friendship here.

She hoped so. The Konti could use a few more friends, even human ones. Humans had been hard on her throughout her life. She’d been hurt by them more than once. But she tried really hard not to see them all as bad. Her brother wasn’t. Neither was Aweston. But in general she was wary and standoffish. But there was something about Hirem that just made her want to open up and talk to him. She’d already told him one of her deepest secrets. She’d told him about the Cytali.

“Cadra, my niece, is the cat curled up. Yes, she’s Kelvic. As is her twin, Larik, whom you met and can see circling in the sky periodically. He’s a lovely eagle.” The Konti said, smiling and reaching over to stroke the sleeping cat’s fur. The cat rolled over, stretched on her back letting Kavala rub her belly for a moment, before yawning wide and going back to sleep. Ralac giggled and reached out his baby fist to grasp at the strawberry blond fur of the cat. He touched but didn’t grab, so Kavala let him explore his aunt’s fur without interfering.

Then she smiled at Hirem’s pleasure over the tea, and refilled his glass. She reached over, tapped the rim a bit and drew res to cool the tea and form a thin layer of ice on the top. The gesture took a moment, no longer, and she was back looking into his eyes to hear his response to her question.

Relief filled her. Only a fool would have come to swear to something they’d only just learned about in a half whisper. But a wise man would know their limitations and needs. Kavala paused for a moment though, thinking about what Hirem had said. She often felt like she wasn’t ready for things. That’s why she prepared. That’s why she always tried to be one step ahead of her enemies. In that, Hirem seemed to be so like her. She nodded acknowledging his need and understanding his question. But she wasn’t sure how to answer it.

The Konti then lifted the cauldron higher, letting the wax off the direct heat, and settled onto the grass. Her toddler son Tasival was soon leaning against her as she spoke.

“You know.. if you asked me what a horse was I could describe the animal to you utterly, list its uses, and talk about its personalities and what I like and dislike about horses.” She said softly looking thoughtful. Kavala shifted, crossing her legs and forming a seat that her toddler could wander over and set himself down in. She gave him a dagger to play with while she was thinking Hirem’s question through. The blade looked razor sharp and wasn’t sheathed, but he boy seemed to respect the cutting end while he worked his fingers around its grip and began running through small stage dagger training exercises.

“Nysel is harder to pin down. He is a child of Wysar whom is one of the patrons here. Wysar is the God of Integrity, Conviction, and Discipline. He rules here in Riverfall. You can actually get an office appointment with him if you want… though not easily or quickly. His consort is Akajia.. and she rules the night, secrets, and stealth. Nysel is their son, begot of love, but he’s both light and dark like his parents. I don’t believe with the Gods you can have true good and true evil like most people think. I believe there are serious grey areas in all that they do no matter how they are classified. They are just like people in a way, only more powerful in ways we can’t even imagine. Nysel I have met first hand and he is kind and ruthless all in once. He gives me permission when I act in his name to embrace the darkness if necessary. But his agendas are far flung and somewhat mysterious. I know what he wants, in general, for me and my life. I know what he expects of his Cytali. And I know he is generous with his gifts and his realm, giving both to us in spades to utilize. Nysel rules both Dreams and Nightmares, Hirem. And you can access him through sleep.” She said softly, running her hand up and brushing a stray strand of translucent hair out of her eyes.

“I think each of his Dreamwalkers owes him something different. I know from me he wants payment for a rescue from a life that would eventually have killed me in a very violent way. One of his Dreamwalkers foiled my training, warped my mind, and took me out of the life of an assassin and put me into the life of providing security. It was what I needed to turn my life around. I grew old in that life, had family, children, and was happy. And I think in payment for that, I am providing the same thing for others in this life. This one hasn’t been easy, but its been worth living.” Kavala added, looking thoughtful.

“I can’t say he’d want the same thing from others. He speaks to us in dreams and demands that we rally to him when necessary. There have been times I’ve acted in his name on blind faith and found later it was for the best. He’s not always as forthright as I’d like him to be. But hes often generous with knowledge in other ways. If you ask him something outright, he will often tell you, but if he does not tell you, he will tell you the reason why you cannot know. And to me that is important.” She said softly, shifting Tasi on her lap and trading out her dagger for a stuffed toy she picked up from behind her somewhere on the blanket.

Ralac squirmed and Kavala set Tasi on his feet so she could pick up the Konti infant and cuddle her a moment until she settled.

“I reach out to Nysel in my dreams. There is a way to train yourself, through meditation, to control your dreams and thus once you do that, you can often summon that which you want to speak to in your dreams. And while dreams aren’t real, they are often worries our mind has manifested. But in every case, when Nysel shows up, he’s real. He’s the only REAL thing in a dream. Ever. I show him a great deal of respect because I have a great deal of respect for him… and his followers both. I’ve told you of Dreamwalking. You know what they can do. We are the last bastion of knowledge pre-Valterrian. We can see through the eyes of people who were in places that no longer exist doing things we have no clue in this modern world people once could do. Nysel allows this. He wants this. In a way, I think Dreamwalkers can heal the world if given enough time." The Konti whispered.

Kavala's voice was firm, meaning what she was saying.

Last edited by Kavala on December 22nd, 2014, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Hirem on December 11th, 2014, 10:50 pm

Nysel.

As Kavala explained to him what she understood of the Lord of Dreams, Hirem closed his eyes and focused intently on her words. He tried, using the reverence in the Konti's voice and the mysteries her explanation hinted at, to try and assemble the full summary of Nysel in his mind. It was a difficult matter, for Hirem knew little of Nysel and even less about his domain. Dreams and nightmares? For the longest time I have attributed these phenomenons to Yahal, and even then only those that have affected me significantly. To think that, all this time, there had been design that had affected my slumbering mind - my chavi - it is impossible. He wondered if Nysel was responsible for the nightmares that had plagued his nights these past four years, and then wondered if Nysel was playing some cruel prank on him by sabotaging his mind with one hand and offering him purpose with the other... But no, the way Kavala described him, Nysel seemed less the author of all dreams and instead the sole mind brave enough to master their secrets.

He is the son of Integrity and Night, Conviction and Secrets. That which shines best in daylight and hides best in the dark have been combined into one soul. He is capable of bestowing great pleasure and terror unto mortal minds, and yet his Cytali seem to be striving for a virtuous end. I wonder if the god himself can become conflicted, or if his purpose is clear and his path paved without remorse? I wonder, does he intend to befuddle his servants with confused truths whispered in fading dreams, or does he instead attempt to install clarity of resolution? All these questions and more flooded Hirem's mind, but he bid them all grow silent and listened for Kavala's explanation.

To settle his disquiet soul, Hirem knew that he would need to assess two aspects of Kavala's offer: whether or not the character of Nysel was demanding of obedience, and if he could truly swear himself to the Cytali without regrets. The character of Nysel, as the wise Konti described, seemed altogether strange to a follower of Yahal but not entirely foreign. They are just like people in a way, Kavala said, and Hirem could not disagree. This ruthless nature of Nysel's, this darkness that dwells side-by-side with light in his heart... can I be willing to overlook or accept such? I already know fully the darkness that dwells in my soul, but I came to Riverfall to escape and grow past my darkness, not to embrace more of the same. And will following the Cytali allow me to spread the corruption that festers from my bloody hands? He wasn't sure if he was ready to accept such a cost as that.

But something else Kavala said affected his heart in a pleasing manner. Her description of Dreamwalking as a service owed to Nysel, for a favour granted in a prior life, made Hirem smile softly with approval. To create goodwill and spread it throughout generations, to steer wayward souls onto the correct path... that is an ideal I can agree with. He wondered, briefly, that if Dreamwalkers owed their gifts to Nysel because of his past actions with their ancestors... well, what exactly tied Hirem to the God of Dreams and Nightmares? What connected a lowly Benshira shepherd to a organization as mysterious as the Cytali? Curiosity flared up within his heart, made him open his eyes and bid him speak.

"I wish to look upon the chavena," he spoke, his breath growing shallow from the audacity of the request. An initiate to a faith does not gain access to the higher mysteries simply by asking! I barely understand Nysel and yet I wish to go charging into his domain without preparing myself! But Kavala was already an experienced Dreamwalker, and Hirem had spent too long since their last meeting dreaming of the chavi, the Cytali, and past lives. "I wish to see for myself what Nysel governs and what a Dreamwalker can accomplish. I wish to see what the Lord of Dreams has enacted. And..." He took a deep breath, his lower lip quavering. "I would like to see what it is that I owe him, that which ties myself to him."

"For if there is something that Nysel has saved me from, and I yet owe him service, I must know. I already owe the lord Yahal my life and my eternal faith, and if Nysel deserves the same, then I will give him the same. Gods deserve to be repaid in full for favours lent." But it wasn't just for Nysel's sake that he was making this demand. Looking Kavala earnestly in the eyes, knowing that there was no need to hide his feelings around her, Hirem spoke quietly. "And if Nysel had managed to save your former life from darkness and turn it instead towards happiness, then I have to see if the same might be possible for me."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Kavala on January 6th, 2015, 3:55 am

Hirem said very little as she was speaking. And when Kavala was done, she touched each of her children quietly and then listened to what Hirem had to say. She appreciated his clear cut concise desire. He didn’t dance around niceties and skirt around the truth of what he needed in some sort of political or social game. He just plainly stated why he was there and what he wanted. She nodded, listening to what he had to say and not interrupting.

“As a Dreamwalker, it would be incredibly presumptuous of me to say I could reveal your relationship with Nysel and uncover mysterious that are between you and He. Nysel and I have a close relationship, Hirem, but I would never seek to cut corners with what should be a very personal journey for you, one that explores your faith and your past and what you want for your future.”
The Konti said, reaching up and tucking a stray hand of her translucent hair behind one of her ears.

“I can show you the Chavena and we can walk your Chavi. But that doesn’t mean we will always understand what we see and what Nyself has influenced. I doubt very much you could see truly the meddling of any of the Gods in our lives. And for you, Yahal especially. There are no road signs for their interference. Do you see what I mean? You may want to know, but that knowledge might be something you need to talk to Nysel himself about. This is why we cultivate relationships with them. That’s why we pray to them, Hirem. That’s why we make offerings. They might notice. They might take time to answer our questions and give us help when we need them. And we might be able to in turn help them. Instead of dwelling on the past and debts owed, you might want to look forward to the future and look for ways to help others – even The Gods – because I think that is why we are here.” She said softly, glancing around.

“You can’t take any of your life with you besides your memories, Hirem. What you build in the here and now can be just what you hold in your hands or it can be something more, something lasting. But you have to start by asking the right questions. And in my experience, those questions never start with a ‘What do I owe?”. They start with questions like “What needs doing?”. “ The Konti said, adjusting a shade so it kept her palest daughter in the shadows. Then she took a drink and cleared her throat and her thoughts.

“Nysel didn’t save me. The Cytali did. And they did it for selfish reasons. I never knew the truth of my existence while I lived. And really, it didn’t matter. My life was so much better. Now though… I know because I taught myself how to look. You can too. But you might not, like I said before, understand. Nothing is clear cut. If I hadn’t seen the whole of my Chavi, I wouldn’t have understood where I came from and where I went too and what happened in between. And it’s not a light knowledge. It can be heavy and burdensome. Are you sure that it’s really what you want?” Kavala asked, studying Hirem intently.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Hirem on January 7th, 2015, 7:27 am

As expected, Kavala did not react his proposal as warmly as he might have hoped. Her words were stern, chiding him for trying to reach to the stars when he should first grow to know the earth, and hearing them made Hirem grow abashed. Yet there was no lack of warmth in the Konti’s tone, and forcing himself to listen, truly listen, to what she had to say helped him feel at ease. He had come to learn from the Dreamwalker, and was offering himself up freely as her pupil, but she did not treat him with any less respect than if he was just her friend. In fact, from the moment he had first stepped through the gate of the Sanctuary, Kavala had offered him hospitality, comfort, and relief in the knowledge that he was not under any pressure. She had gone the extra mile to make sure he understood that this was his Sanctuary, just as much as it was hers. She opened up her home so quickly to him, Hirem might have thought her Benshira were it not for the scales adorning her brow. Her Tent is made of stone and brick, her family blue-skinned and Kelvic, but that does not make her less charitable. The gesture brought back memories of home, but more importantly, it reminded him of what it meant to have friendship, something that he had felt lacking of for… a great many years. Kavala is not just another cry to arms for me to obey… she is my friend. Just as Caelum, just as Alaia… He admonished himself for not trying hard enough to repay the kindness she had granted him, instead focused solely on using the woman for information. What kind of friend does that make me?

”I can show you the Chavena and we can walk your Chavi. But that doesn’t mean we will always understand what we see and why Nysel had influenced.” The Benshira pursed his lip and frowned, trying to appreciate the full depth of what Kavala was suggesting. We cannot understand the work the gods have undertaken with our lives, because the subtlety of it can betray our comprehension. And not only is it beyond our grasp to understand, we should not try to understand… because… Because it wasn’t worthwhile to pick apart the various influences the gods have exerted upon a life, Hirem realized, his eyes growing wide with epiphany. [If we waste all our time looking into the past for signs of their will, we will waste the signs that are already in front of us. One’s relationship with the gods shouldn’t be translated into a ledger, a sum total of divine deposits and withdrawals. It was a living being unto itself and had to be nourished with prayer and devotion, action and sacrifice. Hirem could not sit by and expect that Nysel’s benevolence would be revealed to him in time. It didn’t matter whether the Master of Dreams had helped to steer him from darkness in the past - what mattered was that he advanced Nysel’s cause now, because he believed in the virtue of the god’s work. It was such a simple thing to comprehend, so simple that it felt like the lesson a child should be paying heed to, yet without hearing the concept put into words, it might never have pierced the fog that surrounded Hirem’s mind. Clarity is attained by stepping back and reviewing the situation, not by assuming that one is in the right. Sometimes, it was good to retrace one’s steps and return to the basics.

“If I hadn’t seen the whole of my Chavi, I wouldn’t have understood where I came from and where I went to and what happened in between.” Kavala explained, reminding him of the burden such knowledge could exert upon the mind. For advancing in darkness can sometimes be better, if only to ignore the endless horizon beyond. ”Are you sure that it’s really what you want?” She asked, and now Hirem could not say for sure whether or not he was ready. I came here to learn more about my choices, and yet, without thought, my heart already seems to have decided my course. For if I discover something in my Chavi that cannot be unseen… then I will find myself robbed of choice. Easing back onto the blanket, the Benshira stretched out his legs and took a deep breath. ”It is a strange thing,” he murmured. ”I told you when we first met that I had spent years searching the desert for answers, thinking that when they came to me, I would finally understand the mysteries of life that eluded me. Now I am here, on the brink of discovering more than I ever thought possible about myself and the world, and I ask you in one moment to show me everything, and in another… to wait.” Sighing in frustration, Hirem rubbed a hand past his brow. ”Understand that I am not indecisive consciously. Either my heart yearns to go explore the Chavi and it is my mind urging me to stay away from the realm of dreams, or it is my mind that grows curious and the heart that shies away from adventure. They are at war within me, and perhaps that is the way things must be. Perhaps the most important choice I make today is to decide what is more significant to me, my soul or my self.”

Unsure of what else to say in that moment, Hirem’s focus waned and settled on the rambunctious infant eagerly exploring the courtyard. The boy greeted everything with wide eyes, the kind that saw joy in the smallest parts of the world. ”It’s strange to think young Tasival is an Akalak,” he said, his smile brightening. ”The adults all grow such stone faces. For what it’s worth, I hope he never loses that look of his.” His first instinct was to ask if he resembled Kavala or the father more, but then realized that there was no hint of a father in sight. She’s never brought him up, he thought, glancing back over to her. Should I inquire, or keep my peace? Finally, Hirem figured that if he deserved to know of the father, then Kavala would tell him. Easing onto his knees, the Benshira gingerly approached the two slumbering infants and beamed down at them, careful not to disturb their rest. ”Strong,” he murmured of the Akalak, nodding his head quietly. ”Like his brother, I think.” The girl was much smaller, and seemed all the more fragile for her paleness. Refusing to let his smile be dropped, for both the child’s sake and Kavala’s, Hirem instead extended an open palm over the girl and closed his eyes. ”May Yahal watch over your child and see her grow into a flower worthy of this garden. May Yahal watch over Ia’del, Ralac, Tasival, and Cadra as well. May their journeys be long and their paths short.” This blessing done, Hirem settled back onto his rear and looked over to Kavala. He smiled, but said nothing, and soon returned his gaze to the children. For a long time he sat there, nestled on the blanket with his bare feet in the grass, enjoying the sunlight of the summer day and the sight of the two slumbering babes. Eventually when he swat at an insect that landed on his arm, Hirem looked at peace.

Finally, he breathed out a quiet sigh. "I was so impressed with you when we first met," the Benshira began, his voice low and uncharacteristically soft, "because you knew, with absolute certainty, where you stood in the world. You had your feet rooted in Riverfall, your eyes fixated on the horizon, and your mind lingering towards Nysel's realm. No matter which way the wind blew, you were ready to catch and embrace what the future held. I envied that. I wanted that." He nodded slowly, his eyes catching hers, holding in their place. His gaze was reserved but shone with a quiet light, a quiet light of hope. "What I want is to learn of the Cytali. The Chavena. Nysel. And magic. I want to learn what I've never known of before. I want to earn my place here, at your Sanctuary. I want to be accepted by your Sanctuary want to build a Sanctuary of my own. I want to raise a family of my own." He paused, the muscles in his throat tensing. Then, he offered Kavala a gentle bow, lowering his head until the tallest blade of grass grazed his brow. "But what I really want for now, is to listen to what you will teach me."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Kavala on January 29th, 2015, 2:23 am

Kavala watched as Hirem got that far off look to his eyes. She wasn’t privy to his internal dialog but it must have been a good one because he was quiet for a long time. The Konti didn’t mind though. A man was entitled to his thoughts. And if the truth was told, spending time with the Benshira appealed to her. He was attractive to her in a multitude of ways. He had a sharp mind and a questioning personality. He couldn’t stay away either, obviously, because it was so obvious that he was as hungry for knowledge and the thrill of ‘knowing’ that the rest of them were at The Sanctuary. She wanted to cultivate his friendship and truthfully be around him. He asked good questions. And he was easy on the eyes.

The Konti wondered for a moment why it was that men appealed to her more, most often, for good conversation, than women did. The women she knew didn’t come for advice. They didn’t want to know more of the world or ask about the beyond… they worried for the here and now, about money, children, love, sex, and stability for their futures. Maybe she just wasn’t finding the right kind of women? Regardless, she hoped to raise her one daughter to be just as curious and questioning. And she hoped Caelum would raise his in the same way. Megan was already of that mind, so Kavala had less fears for the Blacksmith’s young kelvic daughter.

Kavala turned her gaze abruptly back to the Benshira as he spoke at last. He was asking her to wait? The Konti chuckled slightly at the confusion on Hirem’s face and his inner turmoil. He wasn’t indecisive? He’d been so when last they’d spoke as well. Most of those that asked questions and who had sharp minds were the same way. The wind would blow them one way, then the other, and then another direction as something caught their interest, peaked their spirit, and teased at the back of their mind presenting them with ‘what if’ questions.

“Regardless of whether you want to know about your life in your Chavi and about you past… which I think I will eventually be willing to guide you through… I think you should at least see the Chavena, Hirem. You deserve too. It’s a living breathing thing and it is one thing to simply talk about it. But to live it, to actually take your hand, reach out, and be at one a Chavi is an incredible thing. I am more than willing to show you.” The Konti said softly. “Finding a balance is key. You can’t survive knowing everything immediately. Our minds need information gently fed and processed. An introduction to the Chavena… perhaps a walk among the chavi… is more critical than anything else right now. Lets go there, do that, first… then talk about what you want to know about Nysel and what he might mean to you or what you might owe him.” The Konti advised, reaching down to stroke a finger across her daughter’s scaled forehead. She glanced up at Hirem, met his honey brown eyes and spoke earnestly.

“It won’t leave you unaffected. It will change you and your view on the world.” She said abruptly, knowing the truth of it. “And I suspect it will feed your fire and make you want to know more…. As much as you can in fact.” The healer said, knowing if Hirem took this step he’d be walking on a path he wasn’t really prepared for. No one was.

And when Hirem changed the subject, Kavala let him, knowing if he wanted to visit the chavena, even right this moment with her, she’d take him. She was more leery letting him explore his own because she wasn’t sure he was ready for so much information. But it was heavy talk, and talk of children weighed so much less on the soul.

Kavala rose to stir the wax she was rending and check on its progress. She moved the kettle off the fire and took a scraper and skimmed impurities before it could harden as the water it was boiling in cooled. The stuff she skimmed off she tossed in the little fire, which caused it to sizzle and crackle, raising a stink that came from the fact it was comprised of insect parts which were none too pleasant to smell for humans and Konti alike.

“Tasival and his brother Ralac are actually Akontak. If you look close you’ll see their scales and gills. They can breathe underwater like their Konti sister. It is a hybridization between the Konti and the Akalak.” Kavala said softly, offering Hirem a smile. “They are rare, but when they grow, they will be formidable magic users. I’m already teaching Tasi a few things… auristics and harmless drawing skills to help him in his glyphing when hes older. Right now hes so young. But I will still be a young woman when my sons are grown, which gives me a great source of pride. I will be able to see them grow to have families and make their way in the world, safe here if they wish to be, because of this legacy.” Kavala said, looking thoughtful and glad her son had drifted off into a nap. The boy was precocial and often a handful, but he was whipsmart and that was what made her the most proud of him.

“Thank you.” She said, smiling at the blessing. She knew how much Benshira admired and leaned on Yahal’s faith. He was fine god for all Kavala knew, just one that was unfamiliar to her for the most part. “Sometime you will have to tell me of Yahal as I’ve told you of Nysel. His name is not unknown to me, but his faith really is nothing I’ve ever studied.” Kavala said, loving to talk religion and philosophy. She enjoyed the peace the time brought, taking a moment to set out molds and another smaller cauldron that looked to be another stage of rending beeswax. She tapped the slowly cooling wax, then reached out with her res, slowly filling the kettle with the almost invisible power, and altered the temperature of the water, cooling it rapidly. Ice formed on the outside of the kettle. The wax in the kettle hardened, forming a crust on the top of the water, and making a thick disk the Konti was able to pull out of the enormous container. She set the rendered wax aside on a small table with the molds, and then discarded the water left in the kettle and set the kettle aside under the table. She broke up the disk of still soft yet mostly hardened wax, installing it in the next smaller container and hung it over the fire to remelt again. This container had a pour spout on one end and looked far less bulky and far more manageable to an onlooker.

“I like bees.” Kavala started out softly. “Not only can you harvest their honey, but they make the garden bloom so much better fertilizing all the flowers. And then there’s the pollen and wax you can harvest from their hives. This wax came from honeycomb that we spun out the honey from. We make all kinds of medicine from it. You can slather honey on wounds, you know, and they will not get infected. Bees are amazing creatures. And from this wax, we will make not only candles, but balms for the ice of winter, our lips, lotions, cosmetics, and even medicine as well. They give and give if you treat them right. So while you sit there and swat at insects, Hirem, be careful you know what you are swatting at. Kill all the flies and mosquitoes you want. Just leave me my bees.” Kavala said, checking on the wax. She had used magic to cool the wax but seemed content to let the little fire heat it back into liquid again. It was a strange choice, almost as I she had no fire of her own.

“Family is important. And most people don’t get to choose theirs. I feel lucky that I got to pick mine out. I’d like you to be part of mine, if you would like. And if you need a place to stay, you are welcome to stay here for a while and wander, learn what you can, and take some time to think. It’s getting warmer too. I think I’ll take the babes into the pool soon if you want to join us after the molds are poured.” Kavala said, smiling slightly, almost shyly. She didn’t make offers lightly, certainly not the kind she spoke of moments ago. “But if you want to first visit the Chavena, once I pour molds, I can give you a tour… that is if you think you can fall asleep under the sun. All dreamwalking require such things.” Kavala said, knowing she’d take him into her Dreaming first and foremost, then take him onto the Chavena. But she didn’t want to push him, and certainly didn’t want to overwhelm him with choices.

The Konti poked at the wax with her skimmer, watching it slowly melt. This batch was turning out well, she thought, glad she’d have some more supplies.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mutable Like Wax

Postby Hirem on January 30th, 2015, 11:31 pm

"I think you should at least see the Chavena, Hirem." Kavala told him, and the Benshira felt an electric shock shoot up his spine. Taking a low breath, Hirem glanced up at the brilliantly blue sky, painting the canvas with imaginary cords of silver and gold. It will happen, he told himself, trying to comprehend what the experience of glimpsing the chavi might be like. Today, tomorrow, at any point that I wish... I will be able to gaze upon the cords that tether mortal life to the divine. I will be able to witness the purity of creation in a method my old Rapas would never have dared to dream up. And that is just the start, for if I am truly a Dreamwalker, I will do much more than observe. I will learn how to track chavi, how to trace the passage of lives, how a soul endures death. I will be able to understand the unrealized dreams of all mortal kind. It was a momentous prospect.

Amidst the quiet chirruping of distant birds, Hirem fancied that he heard a faint voice calling out his name, the echo of a great master summoning him to action once more. Hirem... Hirem... your destiny awaits...

The voice was not new to him - he was intimately familiar with this sensation of being summoned - but only rarely did he feel ready to chase after the call. The last time he had done so, Yahebah had ended up weeping in the aftermath. But things have changed since then. I have grown older. I have grown wiser. I have faced evil and lived to tell the tale. More important, he would not be along... he had Kavala to depend upon. Hirem smiled at the woman as she continued to speak, silently grateful for her presence. “Finding a balance is key. You can’t survive knowing everything immediately." She was right, of course, and Hirem vowed to take that advice to heart in his education of what it meant to be Cytali. I am done running after my destiny, he told himself, resolute. My destiny is here, within the walls of this Sanctuary. Now I must make sure I am up to the task. Gentle instruction, slow experimentation, gradual understanding... he needed patience if he was going to become worthy of joining the Dreamwalkers. Patience is not something I have always been abundant in... But Kavala is patient. She can help keep me on the right course throughout this long journey.

“Tasival and his brother Ralac are actually Akontak. If you look close you’ll see their scales and gills." The Konti then said of the children, leaving Hirem dumbfounded. "Gills?" he repeated, staring back at the slumbering Ralac. Can I really been so blind to have missed the gills and scales these children possess? It cannot be... Yet there were gills on the Akalak boy, marking him as someone unlike the rest of his race. After realizing what he missed, the Benshira settled back on the grass and ran a hand through his hair. "Akontak," he murmured, trying to get used to the word. Everyone tells me that Akalak only breed more Akalak, and Konti only sire Konti. To think that the warriors of Riverfall and the seers of Mura, when paired together, create something new and powerfully gifted... perhaps it is a sign from the gods? Perhaps the Akalak and Konti belong together? It certainly made sense to Hirem, thinking back on the obvious strengths each race possessed and the natural cooperation that existed between them. "To be blessed by both Wysar and Avalis is truly a sign of greatness," he murmured, his eyes full of Ralac and Tasival and the strangeness of their appearance. "But will they find be able to find themselves a place in this world? Obviously they have a home here with you, but elsewhere..." His words trailed off, for he could not easily envision a world without Kavala. I suspect that death itself will not keep this woman from her children. No, they will not be lacking for guidance.

While Kavala saw to her rapidly cooling wax - Hirem knew little of the process and was enthralled by watching her proceed through every step - he attempted to explain a little of his faith. "Faith in Yahal always came easily to me," he admit, his eyes fixated on the rapidly cooling kettle. Is that ice forming on the outside? Is this more of Kavala's magic at work? "From the moment I could first speak, I knew of Yahal. Before the sun, death, fate, life itself... there was Yahal." The Benshira spread his arms out wide, mimicking unfurled wings. "We are taught that he is watching our every step, both in the now and in the future. He knows where we've been, where we are, and where we are going. To believe in him is to trust that where you're going is where you want to be." He took a deep breath, realizing that he was always quick to forget this next aspect of Yahal's domain. "But it's not just about faith in him. We are also required to have faith in ourselves - doubt creates fear, fear gives birth to avarice, and avarice leads to corruption. You must be certain that you are doing everything you can, when you can. In a way, Yahal rewards our strength of character with strength of will. It is the simplest thing in the world to follow his path, but very difficult to maintain it."

“I like bees.” Kavala said, initially taking Hirem aback. Confused, the man raised a brow and listened for her explanation, thinking that there must be some deeper meaning to her words. But the more the Konti spoke, the more he realized that she was just speaking about something she was passionate about... and that, in itself, was meaningful. We are very different people, he mused, wondering exactly what divided their outlooks. I have spent my entire life looking for what is important, despaired of ever finding it in the wide open world... I have been looking for my calling. Kavala has built her calling, out of stone and magic and wax and family and friends. She resembled a bee herself: productive, orderly, a gift to the world around as well as to her hive. He'd never call her a bee, of course, but it was amusing to imagine the Konti as such. And if she was a bee, then he...

He was more like wax. Rough, incomplete, inconsistent. Ready to be transformed into something else.

But none of his thoughts seemed to matter in the aftermath of what Kavala had to say next. “Family is important. And most people don’t get to choose theirs. I feel lucky that I got to pick mine out. I’d like you to be part of mine, if you would like." His cheeks immediately flushed, Hirem tried to look over to Kavala's eyes but found that his gaze couldn't quite meet hers. That is... quite an offer, he thought, remembering that northerners kept their families more closed off than the Benshira. Northerners seemed more concerned with protecting their loved ones than admitting new lambs into their flock, which, given the danger of the world outside, was fair enough. For Kavala to say, "You can be a part of my family"... it took his breath away. Part of him immediately balked at the offer, thinking that he was not a fit person to join any family, let alone Kavala's beautiful, peaceful home. But, overwhelmingly, Hirem wanted to accept. "I'd - I'd be honoured," he whispered, beaming at the Konti. "I will not disappoint you," he added, offering her a deep nod of his head.

Hirem let out a sigh immediately afterwards.

Family....

I'm part of a family...

Kavala's family. The family of the Sanctuary.

I am part of a family! Nothing seemed as important as this single thought.

With a start, the Benshira threw himself onto his feet, careful not to disturb the nearby slumbering babes. "You're right, it is getting far too warm!" He declared with a smile on his face, spying the nearby Tasival peeking into a shrub. "And it makes little sense to me why one little troublemaker should be spared a bath." Leaving Kavala then, Hirem approached the Akontak child with a creeping step, a grin spreading across his features. The boy might have seen him coming if he wasn't so distracted by a nearby flower, allowing Hirem to sweep him off his feet. "What do you say about that, Tasival?" Hirem crowed, lifting the boy - heavy though he was! - onto his shoulder. Taking the youngster's amused giggles as a sign of approval, the Benshira hurried over to the centre of the Sanctuary's courtyard, stopping alongside the wall of the pool. The water's surface reminded Hirem of a desert oasis, making him chuckle to himself as he kicked off his sandals.

Stepping into the pool, shivering at the sudden cold, Hirem sat on the edge and brought Tasival down to rest on his lap. "That was an adventure!" he exclaimed, staring into the water. I suppose Tasival has nothing to fear from it, considering he has gills. The Benshira let the boy slide into the pool and swim slowly in circles, admonishing him whenever he started to splash too much. "Behave yourself!" He crowed jokingly. "You don't want to embarrass yourself in front of your mother!"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes