Open A Good Run. (Apparently)

Getting money in Sunberth is more difficult than it seems.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on July 20th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Sh'Ky Naes

Summer 20, 514

Sh'Ky Naes was sitting in the Pig's Foot, drinking a beer and rolling some dice with two random strangers. He'd probably never see them again after this, so he didn't have to worry about them recognizing him. Calling out, "Hard eight. All out.", he smiled as the dice turned around and around, finally ending their tumbling roll, and landed on the two fives. Scooping up the small pile of money, he laughed at the other two's glowering faces. These weren't even his loaded dice. Looking to the next one in line to roll, he glared at Sh'Ky and flung his dice down at the table, saying, "Easy eight. Twenty coppers." Grumbling as it landed on an Ace Deuce, he reached into his pocket to get money, and slammed it down in the middle. Looking expectantly towards the next man, Sh'Ky had a twinkle in his eye that could only come from taking another's money.

Calling, "Pass line, half stack," the third man smiled as the dice landed on nine. Frowning, Sh'Ky grudgingly shelled out fifty copper-rimmed mizas, pushing the twenty on the table towards the man as well. And just like that, most of the money I won, I have to steal back. Sliding out the loaded dice from his sleeve while pretending to put down his drink, he held his regular dice in his off-hand. Shaking the loaded dice, he kept his frown on his face as he smiled inwardly. He was about to be one hundred-and-twenty copper mizas richer.

Throwing the dice, he called, "Hard ten, full stack." The other two smirked at his ridiculous call, but their smiles were swiftly wiped off their faces as two fives rolled over, giving Sh'Ky all the money on the table. With feigned surprise, Naes scooped all of the money out of the man's twitching hands. Broadening his smile, he said, "Well, fellows, I've had enough today. Have fun trying to gamble the money back!" Putting the money in his purse, he pranced out of the tavern, to the harsh laughs of the patrons within. With a roar, the two men inside flipped the table and barreled towards the door, and flinging the bar's door open, looked around for Sh'Ky. The dark-haired man, however, was around the side of the building, back against the wall, peeking around the corner. Slipping his dice, both loaded and normal into his pocket, along with his fat purse, he slowly put his hand on the hilt of his sword. It could get messy, although that was not something Sh'Ky wanted.

Other's Words My Words NPC's Words
Alt:
Dallen McHenderson
Last edited by Sh'Ky Naes on September 18th, 2014, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
College is picking up, sorry if I'm not on for long periods of time.

How did you know that what you sought was redemption and not righteous vengeance?
Redemptio et quomodo iusti non quod petitur intelligis quia quod vindicta?

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes
Sometimes good people do horrible things.

Words: 82544
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2014, 12:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Weldric on July 22nd, 2014, 1:06 am

Just want to make sure you are aware.Hey man, just wanted to make sure you know that you can't specifically claim what you obtain from a thread. That's what the ST grades are for. Just so you know, that's a hefty chunk of cash that most people probably wouldn't carelessly gamble with, and you're almost certainly not going to be allowed that much in rewards when this thread is all said and done. Just making sure you are aware.

"Alright, Weldric, I think we might be in trouble. The girl, you know, Fiora? Well, the guy we took her from, he's apparently a mean dude. I think we're lucky we were even able to take him down, together." The tall, scruffy, thin man hovered around next to Weldric, who took a bit more care of himself, though he was just as dirty as most Sunberth Denizens. Weldric stroked his beard casually as he thought. Thinking, that's what he was a bit better at than Sjoks. "Weldric, are you listening to me? I said the boys down at-."

"Shut your petching mouth already, Sjoks. I heard you. I understand you. Make yourself useful, and shut up. Like I told you, we're taking her to Sahova. We can't jump the gun and get rid of her here, that'll draw too much attention. If we're lucky, he won't even recognize us with the beating we gave him, but he'll know her. We just need to keep her hidden until I can book us a ride on a ship to Sahova." Weldric lifted his head, he heard the booming ruckus from inside the tavern directly beside him. It wasn't uncommon for people to be rowdy. The occasional barfight was nothing of importance. He shrugged his shoulders and continued to stand in the alleyway with his panicky companion, Sjoks.

"Okay, okay. I understand you now. See Weldric, you just need to let me in on what your thinking." Weldric chuckled softly and shook his head slowly.

"Sjoks, you don't want to deal with what I'm dealing with. Just keep the girl safe and hidden, I'll keep looking for someone to get us passage on the boat. Once we're on, we'll cross the waters in like, six days, then we're free of this burden. Trust me. Afterall, I'm not the one that got Garren killed. Just keep your member in your trousers and we'll be good. Got it? You, Sjoks, keep the girl hidden and-" It was about this time that Sh'ky came barreling around the corner, only a few meters from Weldric and apparently was hiding? Weldric felt his hand instinctively clasp the hilt of his sword, and Sjoks nearly leaped at the guy with disgusting teeth aimed at the throat and two misshapen bony hands thrown at his head. Weldric put his hand out towards Sjoks, holding him back. It was obvious this man wasn't after them, but he was possibly bringing trouble that wouldn't believe they weren't associated with him.

Weldric, being cautious not to draw his weapon and frighten Sh'ky, spoke. "You seem to be in a hurry, friend. Did you make a few friends inside?" Weldric gave a brief smirk. It made sense now, the overly loud ruckus followed promptly by this kid. If Weldric had to put his money anywhere, he'd gamble that Sh'ky picked a fight with someone he shouldn't have, and was now trying his best not to lose his hide.

"D'you think he heard us?" Sjoks asked Weldric, forgetting to whisper. Weldric cocked his gaze back to Sjoks and gave him a glare that could make a baby cry. Sjoks went silent.
Weldric
Player

Words: 8679
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on July 22nd, 2014, 11:28 am

Sh'Ky Naes

OOCJa, I know. I was planning on something special to waste the money on in-thread. ;) Can't tell you now, or it'd ruin the... surprise? It won't exactly be a surprise when you see it, but it's still later on in the thread. Also, I have a partner that I'm expecting on coming in later, so please excuse me if I go nowhere for a while with the plot.

"You seem to be in a hurry, friend. Did you make a few friends inside?" Sh'Ky whirled around to see two dirty, scruffy-looking men beside him. Apparently he had interrupted some form of conversation about something important. Well look how many shykes Ky gave. Turning back, and ignoring the man, he kept looking at the two drunks in front of the tavern until the other said to who seemed to be the leader in this situation, "D'you think he heard us?" Glancing back at the two, Sh'Ky gave them both a look of irritation. "Yes. I petching well heard you. Now excuse me for ignoring your oh-so polite conversation in favor of not getting my ass shanked!" Turning back to the corner, he smiled briefly as the two drunks had their backs turned away, looking for him in the other direction. He was about to leave the alleyway, but thought better of it. Sh'Ky didn't want to attract any attention, so that meant he had to deal with the two in the alley.

Back against the wall, hand still on his sword, Sh'Ky eyed the two men suspiciously. "Now I might not know everything, but I do know that no one calls anyone 'friend' without wanting something. Or trying to murder them in a back alley while their back is turned. Luckily for me, my back is to the wall."

Alt:
Dallen McHenderson

How did you know that what you sought was redemption and not righteous vengeance?

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Weldric on July 22nd, 2014, 1:34 pm

OOCI got yah. I'll just duck out then so you and your friend can do what you intended.

Weldric grinned, this young man was getting so worked up wasn't he? Didn't he know how easily Weldric could expose him right now? Didn't he realize that he was not even ten meters away from a potential two against one beatdown? Luckily for Sh'ky, Weldric actually didn't want anything from him, except to be certain he didn't overhear their conversation of business when he barged in around the corner.

Sjoks took a step forward, snarling like some dumb beast between his rather ugly row of teeth, many of which were missing. Weldric held his hand out again to stop his companion. "Sjoks, I'm going to run you through right petching here if you don't keep your damn head on straight. We don't want a fight." Weldric looked back to Sh'ky, a faint grin on his lips. "Besides, I'm quite certain our friend here wouldn't want us to draw anybody's attention over here. He quite obviously doesn't to be noticed. Here, we'll leave you be. Godspeed and try not to get your ass shanked."

But, he didn't move, he didn't leave. Something came about him actually, he had an idea. He released his grip on his sword and leaned back against the tavern's outside wall casually. "On the other hand, I was here first, and I've got to figure out a few things with my friend Sjoks here, before I can leave."
Weldric
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on July 23rd, 2014, 2:10 am

Sh'Ky Naes

"On the other hand, I was here first, and I've got to figure out a few things with my friend Sjoks here, before I can leave." At this, Sh'Ky growled softly, so the other man wouldn't hear, and gritted his teeth. This complicated everything! With the two men there, Sh'Ky would have to worry about them knowing the two men, and attacking him from behind, or even just following him around. You never could tell who was about to stab you in the back, here in the Berth. Still, the leading one seemed affable enough. Sh'Ky would in no way let that prevent him from trying to stab him if he had to.

Waving his hand, Sh'Ky said, "Fine. I'll leave as soon as I can. But don't expect me to be gone quickly. I might well be here for an hour." Peeking around the corner, his eyes widened in dismay. The two men had shown some intelligence, and were heading to check the alley. Whirling back, Sh'Ky threw himself off the wall and further into the alley. Maybe they wouldn't look hard enough, or something. He considered shouting out to the two ruffians, but that would give further evidence that he was here. Slowly pulling out his sword, as to not make the rasp of leather on steel, Sh'Ky waited in the back of the alley for the inevitable. He sought no help from the others, because he thought he wouldn't receive it.

Alt:
Dallen McHenderson

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Weldric on July 27th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Weldric shrugged his shoulders as his new "buddy" checked for something around the corner. It was amusing at lease. He obviously was in trouble, but wasn't smart enough to not jump into a dead-end alley. Whatever. Perhaps he would get a beating and learn a lesson. Perhaps he would learn that being nice gives a better chance of being granted necessary assistance than being rude.

Sh'ky then darted past Weldric and Sjoks towards the back of the alley, as if that would somehow hide him from whatever was coming. It was sad really, but Weldric couldn't just sit there and watch this young man potentially be beating or stabbed to death. Weldric may have been a bad man in most ways, but he didn't particularly like the idea of murder or death. Mostly everything else was fair game.

Reaching an idle hand to his face, he gently began to stroke his beard as he watched Sh'ky. He was trapped like a cornered dog, ready to slash and stab at whatever foe was coming. Either he would be killed, or he would kill to survive.

Or, option three, Weldric forced another outcome. Someone was going to get a beating, but they wouldn't need to die. "Sjoks, follow my lead." Weldric spoke casually, but Sjoks petched up grin told that he knew exactly what that phrase meant. It was time to fight, and that's exactly what Sjoks did, since he was a boy. He was a brawler at heart, a pugilist by desire, and dammit could he scrap, for a tall skinny guy.

Weldric listened as footsteps neared the alleyway entrance, and Weldric stepped out, putting him face-to-face with two large, burly fellows. Sailors? Possibly. Weldric wondered instantly if he made a wrong choice in deciding to intervene. It wasn't too late to leave. They would want nothing with Weldric and Sjoks himself. " 'Scuse me, but we're talking here, I'm gonna have to politely ask you to petch off." Of course, that wasn't going to so much as slow them down.

The leader of the two men reached out with his massive hand and grabbed Weldric by the front of his shirt. "Get out of my way. I've already got one boy that's askin' for a beating. Don't make it two." Weldric smiled faintly and nodded, then was tossed to the side as the two men stepped into the alley. They saw Sjoks there, sure, but more importantly, they saw Sh'ky at the end. They thought they were about to have fun.

But, Weldric and Sjoks had other plans. Weldric reached next to him and grabbed a fair sized stone, jumped to his feet, and swung the rock around, bashing the secondary man of the thuggish duo right in the ear. Big man or not, that fucking hurts. The man stumbled into the wall, pushing his hands against it to brace himself. And, just as he was commanded, Sjoks threw himself at the leader of the two, throwing a flurry of punches like some sort of madman. Most wouldn't particularly be considered "knock-out" punches, but dammit, if one hit you in the nose, your eyes watered up.

Hopefully, Sh'ky would return the favor and give them a hand. Otherwise Weldric would hunt the boy down himself and gut him.
Weldric
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on July 27th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Sh'Ky Naes

" 'Scuse me, but we're talking here, I'm gonna have to politely ask you to petch off." The man's demeanor didn't seem to help the situation very much, for the other's response was "Get out of my way. I've already got one boy that's askin' for a beating. Don't make it two." Wincing, Sh'Ky waited for the situation to turn nasty. And it did, just not in the way he expected.

The leader of the two drunks was surprised by a dirty, scruffy vagrant leaping in front of him, keeping him busy with lightning-fast punches, which, while they were weak, would still hurt. Weldric, when no one was looking, took a fist-sized rock from the ground and whacked the second drunk in the head with it. It didn't knock him out, but it did daze him and force him to lean against the wall, bracing himself. Moving in quickly, Sh'Ky saw the second drunk wobble off of the wall, launching a dizzy haymaker at Weldric. Smashing the metal pommel into the drunk's already bleeding temple, at a full run, Sh'Ky knocked him out, causing him to slump to the ground sideways. Standing above the man with indecision for a second, Sh'Ky turned the blade downward, pointing at the man's neck. And then he rammed the blade through the man's neck, severing his spine.

The other drunk, although he was occupied, caught a glimpse of what Sh'Ky had done, and shouted, "You-you bast-argh-ard! You-ugh- you didn't have to kill him." Staring coldly, Sh'Ky whispered, "But you would've come after me anyways. I had to stop it before it began. You understand, right?" Looking at Weldric, he couldn't keep the slight twitch out of his right eye. "Right? You understand?"

Alt:
Dallen McHenderson

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Weldric on August 5th, 2014, 2:58 am

Weldric felt that satisfying crack of rock against head shudder through his hand, but his opponent was a natural brawler for sure. He spun around and, although he was probably seeing double, managed to throw a mighty punch right into Weldric's nose. The blow itself instantly made Weldric's eyes water as he stumbled and fell to the ground. Blood shot out of his nose and down his bearded face. Yes, that was a broken nose alright. A single solid punch and Weldric was already down on the ground, wincing in pain, cradling his bloodied nostrils in his cupped hands.

On the other side, Sjoks was pushed away by his own foe. The man was large, considerably thicker and stronger than the scrawny scrapper that Sjoks was. Sjoks too was sent scrawling to the ground, though he was quick to jump back to his feet and get to Weldric's side to help him up.

And that's when Weldric looked up just in time to see Sh'Ky down the man with a blow that looked like it could have easily caved in the man's skull. He was out like a lit candle dropped into the suvan. His body, large and thick as it was, turned to rubber as he fell, like a child's ragdoll, asleep. Weldric would have been pleased, except the very thing he wanted to avoid here, was being forced by the man he thought he was saving from it. Death wasn't necessary, yet Sh'Ky took his blade and ran it through the unconscious man's throat. Weldric didn't know the specifics of what sort of damage was caused, but he knew well enough that a severed throat meant bleeding out, and dammit did that blade dig deep.

Weldric wasn't particularly stunned, but he was disappointed. Perhaps he should have explained his motives prior to acting, but he realized now that some people simply couldn't care for others beyond themselves. Weldric has killed before, but he didn't like to, and it was only when he was certain his life was in immediate danger. He made the same mistake Sh'Ky just did, and he never forgot it.

Weldric stood up with the help of his companion, Sjoks, and drew his shortsword. He pointed it towards the last enemy, though Weldric wasn't sure who should be given the title of enemy or villain here, and spoke with authority. Here they were, three against one, and he just saw his friend killed. He wouldn't dare to try anything now. "I'll give you one more chance. Petch off. I have business to take care of, and I don't want anyone else getting anymore involved." The man, probably broken, or at least shaken up by his friend's death, slumped away and vanished into Sunberth, somewhere.

And there they were again, the three of them, except now Weldric was standing in the exit of the alleyway, his sword in hand, blood dripping down his nose and face, coloring his dirty clothes, and his friend Sjoks, watching with crazed curiosity, yet not quite realizing why Weldric was upset.

"He was unconscious." That's all Weldric could manage to say as he shook his head. His eyes wandered down to the freshly made corpse, the blood that covered his chest considerably worse than Weldric broken nose. He assumed this man was entirely a victim. They wouldn't hunt down Sh'Ky for no reason at all, not unless he did something to them. Did Weldric make a mistake? Did he jump to help the wrong party? Why did he care?

Eventually, he turned his head to look at Sjoks. "We're leaving. If that guy comes back with friends, they'll be coming for us too. I've had enough of dealing with other peoples' shyke for one day."
Weldric
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on August 9th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Sh'Ky Naes

"He was unconscious." At the man's reproach, Sh'Ky bristled. He really hadn't heard that level of disappointment and distaste from another before, so he wouldn't have known how to react. Running up to the man, he grabbed him by the shoulder, hard.

"No. I need at least one other person to see this. You think I would've killed him if I didn't fear for my life? Bull. Shyke. He has friends. I didn't know if they would've stopped at a beating. They could have put me in danger." Dipping his hand in the blood that pooled across the dead man's chest, he slapped his hand against the wall, leaving a bloody handprint. Dipping his hand in more of the man's blood, a gruesome task, he wrote, 'THE PRICE OF A MAN'S LIFE.' Immediately below the bloody words, he placed exactly fifty gold coins in a small bag.

Staring back at Weldric, Sh'Ky had a dull look that should have chilled even the brashest man. "It will keep them from following me, hopefully. Now. Will you either follow me, or promise to keep your mouth shut? I'm no killer, but I'm willing to do what I have to. Just hear this. There may be two of you, but I'm willing to do whatever I have to survive." An evil grin spread across his face, Sh'Ky attempted to intimidate him. "And I know, just as well as you, men do crazy things when they have to."

Alt:
Dallen McHenderson

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Good Run. (Apparently)

Postby Weldric on August 13th, 2014, 2:12 pm

In response to Sh'Ky grabbing him, he responded by placing his hand on his chest and giving him a fierce shove, pushing him back away. Weldric wasn't in the mood for games, and even more so, had no desire for this troublemaker to touch him, at all. Weldric shook his head and lifted his sword, pointing it at Sh'Ky. "But, you deserve to die, don't you? They didn't seek you out without just cause. You are the piece of shyke here."

Weldric was about to turn and leave, when Sh'Ky gave him an ultimatum. Follow, or keep silent? As if he was in control of the situation. This was ridiculous. Weldric was the one that stepped in and helped his stupid ass. Weldric was now regretting doing such a thing. "You aren't a killer. No, you're an idiot that doesn't know who he is. I won't follow you, and I won't keep quiet. If I desire to tell the entire city about what you've done, I'll do it. I'll petching pay somebody to hunt you down if I petching please. And, if you dare come towards me ever again, I will avenge that man at your feet, without a thought. He didn't deserve to die, but I believe very differently about you." Weldric stepped out of the Alleyway then.

"Sjoks, we're leaving. Keep an eye behind us. Make sure we aren't followed by anyone." The tall bruiser buddy of Weldric nodded awkwardly, gave Sh'Ky a warning glare, then stepped out behind Weldric.

And they were gone.
Weldric
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next