The Writer's Workshop

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum you can find and share resources and advice for writing a post, novel or any other form of prose.

The Writer's Workshop

Postby Enoleus Frostfawn on July 15th, 2013, 2:11 am

Hullo!

So, yeah... I'm pretty new here, but, I've found that my writing is... Iunno.. Kind of a bland read. I have trouble with redundancies, and I'm never quite sure how to convey my characters emotions in a way that isn't boring to read, i.e "Stephen was quite angry." As such my posts are... Just kind of dull, I guess. My characters seem overly stoic or two dimensional...

Ehhh. Iunno.... Advice would be appreciated.
Vani / Common /Internal Dialogue
Enoleus Frostfawn
Still Running.

Words: 68094
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Writer's Workshop

Postby Alric Wilmot on July 15th, 2013, 2:46 am

Well, do you read a lot? Often I find someone's favorite books influence their writing style. The more you read, the better you get. Of course, the fastest route is to just keep writing. Often you'll add more detail and insight into your character as your ability to write goes up. Its a bit like anything really, you learn from watching other people, or doing it yourself.

That's all the advice I have, really.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

The Writer's Workshop

Postby Enoleus Frostfawn on July 15th, 2013, 3:43 am

I read a lot as a child. I liked a lot of fantasy type stuff - Piers Anthony, Robert Lynn Asprin, and of course, Lord of the Rings, to name a few.... Recently though, the last four or five years, I've sparsely read anything, at least talking about actual novels. Maybe that's the problem, I don't know.
Vani / Common /Internal Dialogue
Enoleus Frostfawn
Still Running.

Words: 68094
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Writer's Workshop

Postby Amon Ironheart Terras on December 6th, 2015, 6:37 am

I have this requiring problem that I write how I speak and this is not always a bad thing. However I tend to get carried away lose track of my topic. That coupled thorough with the fact that I have a hard time transitioning to dialogue from description and vise versa. An example of the first thing is this

"They fell from heaven on that field. Usually during the season they would have been warm but these were frosty. It was like the gods themselves had seen what we did on to her, her eternal beauty stained. Taken by men who were still boys at heart. So they weep, for the lost of beauty and the lost of morality. For when gods cry their tears contains immeasurable sorrow, as they only to cry in times of great shame and pain. We felt the torrent of their tears on our skin, as they broke upon our flesh. Turning that dead field into a lake of shame."
This was suppose to be a description about rain now I don't know where it went or how.

An example of the second thing would be it I was writing that my PC is drinking in a bar. I would not know how to just break into conversion. Either I would spend 90% describing the bar or do the opposite and spend the 90% on dialogue
Any advice on how to help with this would be greatly appreciated. Please be brutal.
My characters so far
Amon
Amon Ironheart Terras
Player

Words: 34914
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2015, 3:14 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous