Solo Summer Auditions - A Morpher, a Dynast and a Beggar

Adelaide attends the auditions at the Playhouse.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Summer Auditions - A Morpher, a Dynast and a Beggar

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 16th, 2014, 12:48 pm

1st Summer 514AV
Early Afternoon

Adelaide had just come from watching her Uncle be sworn in as Magistrate and left as soon as it was politely possible to do so, in order to catch the afternoon auditions at the Playhouse, which she had been kindly asked to be involved in this time around. Adelaide was glad to note that her standing in the Theatre was increasing ever so slightly, from mere benefactor to an active partaker - someone who's view was respected genuinely than merely because she provided money. Still, going to the Playhouse was not considered a day off, since it was owned by the family and she had a job to supervise its management and affairs. That made it the perfect place for her to have a little fun and de-wind, without having to take a day off.

When she arrived on Fire Island, the day had already seemed very full after that morning and narrowly avoiding a punch up with a deranged freeborn on Kalvinah Bridge. Thankfully someone had come to deal with him and take him away, in spite of Adelaide's plea for clemency, so she had been able to reach her destination relatively quickly. Outside the Theatre Booth was a long line of people, some nervously clutching pieces of paper, other's practising and a couple at the front avidly flirting. Adelaide smiled as Vincent waved her in and she started making her way down the stone steps to the performance area. A young man with freckles and pale hair was standing in front of a panel of three, slowly getting more red-faced as he forgot increasingly more lines.

"Oh, to behold a ring of fire than enflames my fire... no, I mean desire. And that that ring should face, I mean grace, the finger of my beloved..."

It was crueller to let him continue with this charade, but Adelaide stood at the back patiently, opting to wait for him to finish before interrupting and greeting Octavius.

"But that same ring grows old."

"Cold." Adelaide knew not what had pushed her to interrupt but she did so, sweeping forward with a kind smile, "Oh, but that ring grows cold when her beauty, that in itself could send me to breach the brightest lights of the sky to bring her back the stars, frowns on me." she paused before noting, with an warm laugh, "A rather poor choice of play, so don't worry about getting the words wrong - you've probably improved it."

Octavius stood to greet her, with a small nod of respect, and held out a seat for her. Adelaide sat down with a thank you and turned back to the red-faced man, though he could not have been more than eighteen, with an apologetic glance.

"You speak well but your nerves have got the better of you. Try again next season... and do pick a different speech. Don't look too disappointed, and I'm sure you'll eventually get in. You are, after all, rather young. Do any of you have anything to add?"
she turned to the three people sitting by her and all but Octavius shook their heads.

"Yes. Thank you Steven." Octavius said with a smile, "If you could send in the next person."

As Steven fled the scene, Octavius turned towards Adelaide, whose chin was resting on the palm of her hand as she looked pensively out at the sea, "You're too kind. I did not think he spoke well at all."

"He's young."

The next couple of auditionees were rather poor dancers and Adelaide hardly bothered noting what they were doing. Still, she smiled at the first and raised her eyebrows at the arrogance of the second, before sending them both on their way with kind words tinted with strong irony, at least in the case of the second person.

"Next." Octavius called.

A middle-aged man with greying hair entered, his hands calmly by his side and his head straight.

"Name?"

"Ulric Rhann Carneg'her."

"That's quite an unusual name. Where are you from?"

"Alvadas, but it's not a name typical of anywhere."

"Alright. You may proceed."
Octavius raised his hands towards Ulric and there was silence.

Suddenly, the man transformed in front of them, his greying hair growing longer and turning blonde while his entire body shortened and a figure developed. Adelaide's eyes widened as the man became a pretty, young woman standing in front of them with confidence. She leant forwards in anticipation, sure that whatever was going to happen would be good.

"I am performing a part from the play, The Miser's Wife."

Adelaide nodded at this - it was a play she knew well, "Do you need someone to read in?"

"Yes."
the woman, or rather the man, came forward and handed her a piece of paper. With a start of nostalgia, Adelaide remembered that she had done that exact audition piece in the past - a long while ago. She motioned to Octavius that she would read in, mentioned that she knew the play and stood up, moving to stand next to the performer.

"That a man should love her without reason, perhaps
But that that man should be my lover, I cannot fathom
Reason hath surely been exhausted while illusion possessed him!
For what other than mistaken illusion could give him cause,
to dote on this woman and dub her exquisitely divine? Perfect?
Make her husband a cuckold in the name of her pretty blue eyes?"
He started well and it was impossible to tell that he was not playing his real gender. Unless of course, the man at the beginning had merely been the illusion in spite of the name, Ulric.

"He has not spoken to her?" Adelaide almost forgot to speak, so bemused was she by the man, or woman, in front of her, delivering lines with such panache.

"Of course not, yet still he believes himself in love.
While I, who bear his child and, indeed, am free to do so,
should bore him?"

"Milady, if I might be so bold... this supposed love may prove to be merely his vanity speaking."
She was not really acting as she read in the lines, but her voice was convincing and she forced herself to sound right, so as not to put him off. Anyway, she had nothing to prove - she was already a member of the Playhouse troupe.

"True. A pose of courtly love is doubtless his intention,
In persevering, withal, in the face of her inattention
Merely wounded pride at, thus far, her lack of affection."

"Milady speaks in jest?"
Though, of course, he was not a lady. Something which Adelaide had to keep reminding herself.

"Jest may be a suitable remedy for my anger, yet no.
I speak not in jest, but in temper.
I swore he should be mine, and mine he will be."

"And if he leaves you for the Lady?"
It really was a most unusual state of affairs and even Mercy, usually so unshakeable, seemed to be looking at the proceedings with surprise.

"She has a husband."

"He is old, and his days may be numbered."
In a way, Adelaide thought as she was reading the line, she was starting to enjoy herself and took up the mantle of the part with that mixture of manipulative slyness and surprised horror that characterised the part of the maid.

"Then, should Alonso's affection outlast the Lady's husband,
I swear, by Krysus herself, I will do all in my power to prevent his straying."

"Surely, you cannot mean..."
The young Dynast had now truly embraced her task and was now reacting perfectly to the man's lines. She noticed a fleeting wink coming from Octavius at that point.

"For the sake of my unborn child, who I would not wish to be born a bastard, if not my own." How was he doing it? The acting was a little over the top and inconsistent in places but the mannerisms were so feminine...

"Milady!" The line came late and Adelaide had to refrain herself from blushing. All her wondering about him was grossly unprofessional and made her late.

"If Alonso's affection should outlast the Lady's husband,
Then it will also outlive the Lady, who shall prove faithful evermore,
in death as she was in life, to her esteemed husband."

"But who is this Lady?"
asked Adelaide, raising her eyebrows with the consternation demanded of the character.

"Why, Madame Gilda Hessel, native of Ravok."

"A daughter of the Lark family?"

"The same."

"You would hang for such a crime."

"Unfortunately, Alonso is not given to loving charwomen and fishermen's wives. Come close and listen.
There is a man I know, living not two miles from here,
And take heed of my description of this same man.
For though he now has loose teeth and a belly fat with good beer,
That very man was once Zeltiva's greatest assassin.
And, rich with the fruits of his past life, he sits on his hill.
Surveying the poor and the rich alike; all bend to his will.
Nobody would dare lift a finger against him,
though he is now the shadow of that which he once was."

Someone had crossed out the next line and Adelaide realised that the man did not want her to continue so, after a short pause, she stopped and smiled at him. As she returned to her seat, Mercy gave a little clap and an amused laugh. When she had sat down and turned back, the middle aged man with greying hair had returned to his previous state and Adelaide could not help but imagine that she'd invented the whole surreal situation.
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 18th, 2014, 3:52 pm

The man standing in front of them was swaying slightly, but grinning widely,

"So you're a morpher?" Octavius asked coldly, his eyes boring into the man in front of him.

Adelaide was surprised by the icy nature of his voice and turned to look at him, but he didn't look back and she instead crossed gazes with Mercy, who looked as perplexed she did.

"Octavius..." Mercy started, her voice soothing.

"Be quiet." the director snapped and she shrank back with a little moue, as he turned back to the man, "Amusing little trick." He spat out the words and, in spite of what he said, seemed to find nothing mildly amusing in it, "You must be very pleased with yourself to have perfected such a complex form of magic. Bravo! Brava!" At that, he stood up and started slow clapping, a sardonic smile plastered on his face, "Don't you think Adelaide?"

Adelaide's eyes had widened slightly and she had to remind herself of her position of power over the indignant man before she could reply with any confidence. She turned to the morpher, who was frowning darkly, and smile, "I enjoyed your performance and I enjoyed performing with you. It was a little unorthodox but..."

"Unorthodox? Unorthodox!"

"Octavius. Please don't interrupt me."
Adelaide's own voice had turned cold and she was started to be annoyed by the man's melodramatics. He had no right to interrupt her. After all, her family employed him. Not the other way around, "I think Mr Carneg'her has shown proof of great originality. In places, his acting left a little to be desired in places but, on the whole, it was decidedly good enough to join the Playhouse Troupe."

"But Miss Adelaide."
his voice had finally calmed down and, Adelaide noted with distaste and a pang of disappointment, taken on that slight sycophantic tone she knew only too well, "How can we employ an actor who changes his face? How do we even know that this is an actor and not an actress? How can we trust such a man?"

Adelaide raised her eyebrows. She knew that many people were fearful of magic but, though she herself had no interest in it, she had no issue with those who practised it safely. Wizards were, after all, not unheard of in Kenash. In a spirit of perversion, she pushed Octavius a little with a small smile, "Employ an Aurist? After all, an aura doesn't change."

Octavius looked furious, but didn't say anything as he sat back down, evidently trying to ignore the discomfort he felt. Adelaide had rarely ever seen such a reaction to magic and could not help but wonder what could possibly cause his aversion. She knew him to be from Syliras, but she'd never heard of Syliras being terribly against wizards, as long as they didn't hurt anyone or make a mess.

Finally, Mercy broke the silence and spoke, "Mr Carneg'her - do you have any reply to make?"

"No Miss. I can only swear that this is my real face and that my ability to morph is the only magical ability I possess."
the man was slightly red-faced and seemed in earnest.

"Well, that doesn't seem much of a problem to me." interjected Adelaide with a smile, "If Mr Schneider agrees, I don't see why you should not join the Playhouse troupe this Summer."

Octavius, or Mr Schneider, had a pained expression on his face and had turned back to look at the hastily scribbled notes in front of him. Finally, he nodded and, without looking up said, "I'll see you at the auditions for Troupe performances then. Don't make me regret my decision."

Adelaide privately thought that he hadn't had much to do with the decision but didn't say it and merely shot him a consolatory smile. Seven people came and went, Adelaide reading alternate lines for six of them, before anything of interest came up. Two people then had exemplary auditions and were swiftly invited to join the troupe, before being followed by someone Adelaide knew well. At the sight of the fellow dynasty, no matter which family she came from and what current standings the two families had, Adelaide jumped up from her seat and ran over.

"Amarantha! Finally. All this time that I've been begging you to join us at the Playhouse! How are you?"

"Alright thank you. And how are you?"

"Very well. Oh, but I never meant for you to audition - everyone knows you're a great performer."

"Well, I thought I would. Singing is really more my area of expertise and I haven't much proven any ability to act."

"Yes, but Operas are sometimes done here. Oh, with you we can finally put on something more complex. Millicent sometimes has trouble with high notes."

"You flatter me."

"I never flatter. I only speak the truth."
Adelaide eyed Octavius out of the corner of her eye, who was tapping his fingers impatiently against the desk, "Well, since you insist on auditioning, I should stop holding up the proceedings."

"I need someone to read in."
the young woman smiled lightly, but Adelaide was not sure if the smile reached her dark eyes.

"I can do that." Adelaide said brightly, rather too brightly, jumping on the opportunity and hoping Amarantha would not notice, "What is it?"

"A scene from 'the Beggar' by..."

"You mean..."

"Yes. I found a copy of it in the Library. I'd never seen it performed. I really liked it Adelaide."

It was a play she had written a couple of years before and Adelaide could not help but feel even more that Amarantha was just the loveliest person she'd ever met. She hadn't thought much of her first attempt at social commentary, for it was over the top - but evidently Amarantha had. Adelaide smiled, "I assume you'll be doing the part of the Beggar."

The young woman shook her beautiful head and smiled charmingly, making Adelaide's heart skip half a beat, "Unfortunately not. I wasn't altogether comfortable with it so I've decided to play the part of the fourth passer-by, the fishwife."

"So I'll be doing the beggar. Alright."
Amarantha handed her a piece of paper with the lines written on with a swooping, elegant cursive. Octavius had crossed his arms - patience was not his forte - but didn't dare say anything as the young Morealis and the young Sitai branched out onto the centre of the stage. Adelaide tried to ignore the fact that the dress she was wearing didn't really allow for the ease of movement needed for the part and sat down in a loose, but sort of crouched position slightly towards stage left. The panel of auditioners, so to speak, were going to see the rather surrealist situation where two Dynast members took up the mantle of a fishmonger and a Beggar, and Adelaide couldn't help but grin with glee at the thought.

Amarantha started milling about the stage calling, looking out to the supposed audience, her hands waving and cupping her mouth as she emphasised that her character was trying to get attention from dozens of invisible passers-by, "Fish! Get yer fish! Fresh fish! Cheap fish! Fish! Fish! Get yer fish!"

"Oy! Stop makin' that racket."
called Adelaide, scowling as she did so, "Don't yer think I 'ave enough t'deal with?"

"Owh, go and find summat else to grumble about. Some o' us gotta make a livin' for ourselves."

"I like that!"
the indignant tone of voice was wild and loud, annoying to the invisible passers-by, before mocking Amarantha's fishmonger with a high-pitched shriek, "Some o' us gotta make a livin' for ourselves! Well, you gottit easy - that's all I can say."

"Yeah? Well, yer din't know anythin' about me. I'm workin'. Fish! Fish! Get yer lov'ly fresh fish 'ere! You sir. Yes, you. 'Ow about a cod? You Miss. Yes, you! The haddock is fresh and the salmon deboned! Fish! Fish! Get yer lov'ly fish 'ere!"

"As if I din't have enough to deal with!"
Adelaide covered her ears with her hands and forced an annoyed expression, even as she admired how well Amarantha took to the part while every inch of her still retained its innate elegance, "Why din't you go and bother somebody else?"

"Fish! Fish! Get yer fish!"

"Ow - go walk the streets like yer sister."

"What did yer say about me sister?"
The fishwife who was rather too pretty to be a fishwife turned around and put her hands on her hips.

"I said go walk the streets like yer sister." Adelaide had almost forgotten to say this next line, forgetting the script nestled in her hands and, for a tick, forgetting that she had to act at all. What was wrong with her? She had to get in the zone.
Last edited by Adelaide Sitai on August 19th, 2014, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelaide Sitai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 18th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Luckily, Adelaide didn't have to for much longer, for the next bit was the modern, deep (perhaps quite contrived) bit and all she would have to do was freeze for a bit while Amarantha recited the fishwife's monologue.

"Me sister lost 'er husband last Summer. It's not what yer think - 'e ran away with the milkman. 'e always was a fickle character... I told 'er that when she married 'im! Only she din't listen t' me. Nobody ever does, come to think o' it. Me own husband certainly din't. Well, anyway - Maggie, that's me sister, she was left wit' six kids, all scrawny things but they all got a pair o' lungs on them. Maggie din't have any choice. Single mother with six kids, and no-one there t' make sure that they din't starve. You, sir - " she directly addressed Octavius as she would a member of the audience, "Tell me what choice did she have? What would you have done? Well, Maggie ain't no blushing flower and Maggie din't give up. So, yeah, she's what that man'd call a whore, t' only person he thinks he can look down on. Well I got news for yer pal..." Amarantha rounded on Adelaide, who carefully kept her position, frozen as it were in space, "Yer think yer can be all philosophical? All righteous? Yeah, well, yer din't know about responsibility. At least, yer din't know no more. Well, maybe yer think this is yer turf. And maybe yer think it's all alright makin' a fuss and yer din't like me shouting. Well, I need ter earn a living. Not only because there's not many opportunities down our way and food prices are goin' up, but because my man din't 'ave a job. And he's petchin' the next door neighbour. And his old lady. That would shock yer if yer knew, but not me. Not anymore." Amarantha slipped in and out of the accent at times, but it was hardly noticeable, especially to Adelaide, as she took on a sadder, more sombre tone and walked closer towards the centre, holding her head up to look at the sky, as though looking into the distance, "I din't own much. There's a dozen o' us fishmongers down my way. So I come 'ere where there's less competition." she let out a hollow laugh, "Even then, I din't earn much. I keep back a couple o' coins everyday, waitin' for the day when my man'll finally find somebody else and throw me outta t' house. Cos he bought it and I ain't got no rights on it. Some nights, I come home and he's not there. He's out wit' some slut or other. I jus' sit in t' 'ouse cryin' and listenin' the t' sound of the owls callin'. It's difficul'. And then yer come along and tell me I can't do me job 'cos it disturbs you." she turned back to Adelaide, "Well, petch yer mate. Petch yer."

Adelaide looked up and noticed that Amarantha has stopped. Amarantha was smiling and Adelaide stood up, her eyes shining.

"I've never heard anyone do it that well. Well, nobody has done it before, but I never imagined it could be done like that. When you did it, it sounded good. Thank you. Thank you so much."

Adelaide returned to her seat, still completely elated. If Amarantha could find it in herself to perform something she had written, then maybe it was the opportunity to try her luck again. Maybe this time it could be performed.

"Octavius. What did you think?"
she asked, turning to the man next to her with a sigh of relief when she saw that he was smiling, "I'm too flattered to be a good judge, I'm afraid."

"The acting was fine. I am perfectly happy with extending Lady Amarantha Morealis an invitation to join the troupe... if that is what you wish?"

The young Morealis nodded and smiled, a humble, sweet smile.

"Alright. Next!"

And the auditions continued. Even if Amarantha's remained the highlight of Adelaide's day, a few more people found their way into the troupe and Adelaide had to admit that a couple were far better actors than the Morealis herself who was, after all, a better singer than actress.
Adelaide Sitai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Vice on September 11th, 2014, 9:00 am

Adelaide Sitai :
Skills
  • +3 Rhetoric
  • +2 Socialisation
  • +2 Acting
  • +2 Judging
  • +1 Organization

Lores
  • Play: The Miser's Wife
  • Play: The Beggar
  • Amarantha Morealis: Trying to get into Acting
  • A Surreal Situation
  • Audition: A Morpher in the Playhouse
  • Reading in an audition
  • Crush: Amarantha Morealis

Consequence: Adelaide will be rather embarrassed and flustered on any given encounter with Amarantha Morealis.

This can be overcome by spending a considerable amount of time alone with her and getting to know her on a personal level.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please send me a PM, and we'll discuss my reasoning behind why the grade given was received. Please make sure to edit any posts in the grading queue to 'graded' and update your CS as soon as possible. Enjoy! ^.^
Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes