Solo You Rang, M'Lady?

In which Alses hires some staff for Elysium Hall.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

You Rang, M'Lady?

Postby Alses on August 18th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Timestamp: 67th Day of Summer, 514 A.V.

It was a cool day, the skies full of drifting mists and the occasional lance of sunlight burning throught for a few blessed minutes before the clouds inevitably closed once again. There were no shadows, either, a product of the unsettled weather that currently had the celestial city in its grip, and whilst thunderstorms grumbled and threatened off in the Misty Peaks, the rattling boom of their lightning tulwars echoing through the valleys, for the moment they were distant and unimportant.

Regardless of the ever-changing skies and the challenges they brought against Lhavit, the city of skyglass and stars stood implacable and serene atop its five peaks, the outlying watchtowers glowing gem-bright.

Atop its small rise on the top tier of Tenten Peak, carefully on the other side from the colossal Dawn Tower, the residence of the Councillor Radiant for Magic and Foreign Affairs glowed, a beacon even amongst the greater radiance of Lhavit. Perhaps that was simply some caprice of the skyglass, or else perhaps Zintila had instructed her priesthood to tune the divine substance just so, but either way Elysium Hall glowed like an earthbound star, splendidly radiant amongst its manicured parkland.

The gilded gates, until recently always open, also glowed in the diffuse light, reflecting warmly onto the skyglass plate of the Shinya guards who now kept a far more careful watch over the approach. Other members of that illustrious order paced along the low wall, too – security had most definitely been tightened as of late.

Inside the elegant mansion, Alses was nervous, pacing like a caged Okomo about her bright and airy morning room, waiting for the knock at the door she knew was coming. It was stupid for her to be nervous, of course; if anything, that was the appropriate feeling for the person she was waiting for, but none of those fine thoughts, none of that rationality helped: she was nervous.

Filled with a fizzing, nebulous energy and powered by a vague worry she'd risen far before the dawn and frittered the time away from then until now, half-completing a dozen tasks, each time abandoning them for something else, entirely unable to settle and get anything productive done.

She'd dressed to impress – although not quite the full peacock that came out when she attended the opera – more for herself than anyone, if she was truthful, and so black opals glimmered at her ears and gold thread shimmered and danced through her silken robes.

Even though she was expecting it, the knock at the front door – booming through the still-austere entrance hall – still took her by surprise, and it was a pair of clammy hands indeed that set themselves against the doorhandles and pulled the heavy doors wide.

Alses' first glimpse of her potential butler was therefore just as he was framed in the doorway, gloved hand still upraised in the act of knocking.

He was a tall man – although, to Alses, most people were tall – and respectably portly, a rarity in the post-Valterrian world, the excellent cut of his clothes and their dark hue helping to minimise his bulk. He was pale, too, like most Lhavitians, and his eyes – like chips of sapphire – stood out starkly beneath the arch of his eyebrows. His hair was a dark and lustrous black, but it was beginning to be flecked with grey, especially at his temples, giving him the look that Alses had occasionally heard described as 'distinguished'.

His lips were rich and full, and they widened into a calm smile as he, for his part, drank her in. “I daresay I have the pleasure of addressing the Lady Alses? My name is Silver, m'lady. Maximilian Silver, at your service.

In truth, Alses wasn't paying all that much attention to his physical form; the feel of someone on her auristics, the glitter and shimmy of their soul in the world, that was of far greater immediacy and more immediate import to her. Someone who grated on her senses wouldn't be a good fit for the position, no matter how well-qualified they were; constant and low-grade irritation would only result in arguments and dismissal. Alses knew herself well enough, at least, to see that for a self-evident truth.

Mr. Silver was a soothing light purple, to Alses' senses, his aura like a still lake – no, a placid river, she amended as her power enveloped him in an invisible cocoon, drinking in everything about him and letting her see the gentle currents and banked power in the curling tendrils and the broader wash of energy that radiated off the bright core of his soul, steady and predictable waves that spoke of stability and adaptability. He was water to her Sight, cool and quiet, flowing around obstacles, always yielding and yet managing to break down even the greatest of barriers, given time.

The pleasure is ours,” Alses returned, taking a half-step back, inviting him inside. Even she knew it was rude to keep people – prospective employees no matter – waiting on the doorstep.

He shimmered over the doorstep, looking around with a discreet professional's eye, noting the generous proportions and the elegance of the architecture on display; no-one had skimped on Elysium Hall. Indeed, had they attempted to do so, it was entirely likely that they'd have had an angry Zintila as well as Alses to contend with, and that was something no sane Constellation priest, or even sane citizen, wanted.

If you'll follow us, Mr. Silver,” she continued, turning quickly and leading the way into the heart of the house, through the echoing hallways and into the much more homely, much more lived-in library, with its ranks of leatherbound books, its fadeong shelves and ornate caryatids, its papers and its ink-stands and all the paraphernalia of academia.

Alses unerringly led the way up to the second floor, slipping with the ease of long practice into one of the alcoves that now held a large desk piled reasonably high with papers. Settling herself behind its bulk, she gestured for the man to take the seat opposite, the pair of them taking just a little time to get comfortable before the meat of the interview began.
Alses
Lady Magesmith

Words: 1556681
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1)

You Rang, M'Lady?

Postby Alses on October 18th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Well, Mr. Silver,” she began, when both of them had got decently comfortable. They could be in one place for a considerable amount of time – Alses needed to conduct a thorough and searching interview to get a good idea of the kind of man she was hiring, quite aside from the obvious competencies and skills. This would be, after all, someone to whom she would entrust the most intimate parts of her life and her home – that couldn't be just anyone.

Would you mind telling me a little about yourself, to start us off?

A smile stretched Silver's lips, twinkling in those piercing blue eyes. “Of course, your grace. I began my career as a boot-boy for the Twilight Tower when I was fourteen, all limbs and knees and the coordination of a blind baby Okomo, if I'm honest. I got most of my basic training in that structure; I spent quite a few years there, working my way up through the ranks – but past a certain position, one tends to intrude on the realm of the family retainers.

A faint smile. “
It was a case of waiting for a family line to die out, in many cases, before promotion would even be a prospect – that wasn't the sort of career I wanted. I was an ambitious young man, it has to be said.

Alses nodded. “Nothing wrong with a touch of ambition,” she remarked. “It seems to be the fire that makes men great.

Silver smiled, although there was a note of caution there. “
Or leads them to ruin,” he remarked lightly. “Ambition's a two-edged sword, like most things. To continue, your grace?” the rising lilt at the end of his sentence turned it into the most delicate of questions, and she gestured for him to continue his narration, exploring it all with senses orders of magnitude greater than mundane physical ones.

After a few years as an assistant under-butler in the Twilight Household – I served one of the distaff line – and yet with no real prospects for advancement, I felt I had enough experience to branch out into the city at large. There are wealthy families and individuals who don’t have palatial Towers, after all; the merchants and the independent mages, in general, and I felt sure I’d be a shoo-in to whatever position I chose.

He smiled, self-deprecatingly, and spread immaculately-gloved hands. “
Of course, life rarely works so completely in a mere mortal’s favour. I took several positions – still as an under-butler – with various concerns, but none were exactly what one would call families of the first flight…indeed, at one my employment was terminated by the arrest of my erstwhile master.

Alses nodded with a wry smile. “We can see that would put something of a crimp in the contract,” she observed. Silver inclined his head gravely in agreement, although brief amusement danced in his eyes and aura.

Quite so, your grace. Of course,” he added, and his aura narrowed to a silver point, making Alses pay more attention. “Now I’m older and richer and wiser, I can afford to pick and choose who I work for – and I can stick to my principles and my honour, such as it is.” The fine crow’s feet by his eyes crinkled up in mirth, and faint laugh-lines wrote themselves into greater prominence, but it wasn’t a joke – far from it.

Alses made a careful mental note of this fact, and then gestured for imposing Maximilian Silver to continue.

Despite the transitory nature of some of my subsequent appointments, they were all experience in running – or helping to run – a household, and some of considerable size, at that. Which brought me within the orbit of the Mirihars, as it happens.

Alses’ head snapped up at that; she knew vaguely that Mr. Secretary’s actual name was Alexander Mirihar, but it still took a little while to register. “You were – are - one of Mr. Secretary’s retainers?

The butler shook his head. “
No, no, your grace. Or rather, not as such. I served his mother, Thessia Mirihar. All through her rise to Clerk of the Towers Council, the expansion of the Mirihar family and its power and then through the subsequent…decline. In truth, had the Towers not fallen so dramatically, and the family fortunes of the Mirihars not changed, I daresay I and my family would have become one of their family retainers, just like the Towers. As it is, though, young Master Mirihar is downsizing after the death of his mother, and has little need for my services. Hence my availability for alternative employment. He recommended I apply to yourself, your grace, knowing that you were looking for domestic staff.”

Alses pursed her lips in thought. “He didn’t tell me so,” she remarked. “Although he’s always been a fair soul; that might be why.

Perhaps,” smiled Silver, settling back and almost switching off, almost vanishing from her immediate perception as he waited.

So tell me, Mr. Silver – how would you manage this house, if we retain – I believe that’s the correct term – you?

He steepled his fingers on his ample paunch and looked at her gravely, piercing blue eyes twinkling. “
That would depend on what your grace would like done,” he replied. “A good butler serves to execute his master – or mistress’s – wishes, and in time to do that before they even know, consciously, what they want.

Alses sighed, heavily. “We’re absent-minded, prideful, wrathful and melancholy and doubtless quite appalling to manage,” she said. “We know nothing about household management, what we need, what we want and what we decidedly don’t want or need. I keep odd bells, I have unusual needs, explosive projects in the laboratory and a limited familiarity with…normality.

Silver smiled. “
Many of those qualities are shared by most of the human population, your grace, at least when behind closed doors.” He paused. “I’ve never served an Ethaefal before,” the dapper man confessed. “I’m afraid to say that few have; there will be a few…” he cast around delicately for the right words “…adjustments…necessary on my part, I’m sure.

Alses made a noncommittal noise. “Well, at least you admit it,” she replied, after a brief pause, inwardly happy that the man had actually brought it up. Some earlier applicants hadn’t.
Alses
Lady Magesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

You Rang, M'Lady?

Postby Alses on October 19th, 2014, 9:51 am

It was some time later, and they were walking – together – through the opulent corridors and hallways of Elysium Hall, discussions well in progress. Silver had magically produced from the unimaginable recesses of his clothing a small black booklet and a stick of charcoal – elegantly secured in a wooden holder so it wouldn’t mar his gloves or his clothes – and was industriously making notes.

Alses nodded towards it during an appropriate lull in the conversation. “What are you writing down in there, Mr. Silver?

His eyebrows arched upwards in surprise and he snapped the notebook shut – probably a reflex action, rather than anything conscious. “Oh, nothing much, your grace. Just some observations on Elysium Hall, that’s all. It’s something of a habit; it might come in handy in future, you see.

Alses quirked an eyebrow. “Observations? Do share,” she encouraged him, her own interest piqued in what he thought of her home.

The butler slid his hands thoughtfully into his waistcoat pockets, determinedly ordering his clothes so that every line hung razor-straight. Alses couldn’t have done a better job with a plumbob and an entire day’s worth of bells.

Well, I can see this is no time to be less than honest,” he began, the twinkle gone from his eyes. “It’s evident to me that Elysium Hall has been well-built and well-furnished; the people who worked on your home put their all into its creation, that one can see at a glance. It’s a good core on which to build a proper household – but that’s all it is, your grace. A core.

He waved one hand grandly in the air, as though trying to capture something that eluded him still. “
It lacks a great deal, I'm afraid to say. You have your library and your laboratory and your bedroom – all of those are of course important to you, but for a proper household there’s a need for much more, your grace. We’ve toured most of the Hall, by my reckoning, but I can’t see anything resembling staff quarters, for a start.

Alses blinked, having never considered the possibility before. “Staff quarters?” she echoed.

Indeed, your grace. I am fortunate – I have a home of my own in Lhavit – but many of the…less well paid members of the serving profession, shall we say…generally rely on the provision of lodgings at their place of work. It also helps keep costs down for the employer, and it does generally mean that at least some domestic help is available at any time of the day or night.

So you would recommend we commission the priesthood to expand the Hall with these…staff quarters…as a matter of some urgency?” Alses asked, shining head tilted slightly sideways as she contemplated this new information, new problem.

Just so, your grace. There’s also the issue of the kitchen; it looks perfectly adequate, to be sure, but also as though it’s never been used – would you be requiring a cook?

Alses’ gaze cooled, and she saw the subtle tensing as Silver recognized the drop in temperature. “We don’t eat,” she replied shortly. “Or drink, as a general rule. It’s not necessary.

That seemed to shock Silver; he stopped in his tracks and Alses walked a few more paces before she realised her dapper shadow was no longer there at her elbow.

Not necessary? Truly? The Ethaefal are even more wonderful than the stories say.” He paused, briefly, as if wondering if his next question would be appropriate, before taking the plunge, his aura narrowed to a streamlined lance. “May I ask how you acquire nutrition?

Alses gestured skywards with an instinctive smile; the information was harmless enough, even though it might fuel further the tiresome regard that Lhavitians in general had for the Favoured and Chosen who made the skyglass city their home. “Sunlight, Mr. Silver. Syna’s blessing nourishes us without end, as long as our skin is touched by Her rays. Fatigue and hunger and thirst are alien things to a celestial Ethaefal, only marring us when our mortal chain asserts its repulsive presence.

He blinked at the force of her last words. “
Might I ask what…

Alses looked at him, eyes narrowed. “Konti,” she said abruptly. “And don’t even think of trying to convince us they’re beautiful; they are not. Pallid, fishy, corpselike things that they are.

Silver blinked – and Alses was adept enough with auras to hazard a good guess at what he was doing; storing that little titbit of information away in the recesses of his brain and adapting his responses given her observed feelings. She’d never felt such a responsive aura before, its entire character shifting in concert with what she’d said and done. It was unnerving, and exciting, a new auristic experience for her.

I’d not dream of it, your grace,” he murmured diplomatically. “A cook would still be something of a worthwhile investment, though, especially if you plan on expanding your household?” the rising inflection turned it into a question.

I do. Explain your reasoning, please.

Silver began to tick points off on his immaculately-gloved fingers. “
Firstly, you’re an important person in the city, your grace, and that usually comes with a few…extra considerations. Entertainment, for instance; it might further your goals with certain individuals if you had them over to a splendid dinner, or could provide exquisite tea and cake and wine for an impromptu chat. Secondly, even if you yourself don’t need to eat, your staff do – and it’s an investment that pays dividends in increased service if you have a cook, if not for your benefit then theirs.

Alses pursed her lips. “A good point,” she admitted, at length, “But I don’t feel my household, as you call it, is really large enough to warrant it. Not yet, at any rate.

Silver inclined his head. “
’Not yet’ being the operative phrase, your grace. I’d also point out that your home seems bereft of things like a wine cellar and a butler’s pantry; those are matters I’d deem it critical for you to rectify, as a matter of urgency.

What do you use a pantry for?” Alses asked, entirely unfamiliar with the term.

The butler’s pantry, your grace, is the butler’s private domain within the home. It is where he – or she, of course – retires when their services are not required, a place where they store essentials that might be needed at any moment, and a place of relaxation. It’s also usually positioned such that the alert butler can be aware of guests approaching the doors, and so be ready to receive them when they arrive.
Alses
Lady Magesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

You Rang, M'Lady?

Postby Alses on November 3rd, 2014, 5:53 pm

After the tour of the Hall, during which Alses had learned a great deal about Maximilian Silver and his discerning eye, the pair of them ended up back in the great library. It was obvious to the butler that this was far and away the most used and loved room in the whole house, every part of it gleaming and with that indefinable sense of being lived-in that was subtly absent from some of the other parts of Elysium Hall.

Some rooms looked as if the dust sheets had been taken off and the place not touched since that moment, everything perfect and yet sterile, unused and unloved. There was dust there, too – in all the places that someone unused to cleaning might leave, especially if a room wasn’t used that often.

Compare to the library, where although there was clutter – usually in the form of books and papers on the tables ranged throughout the chamber – it was all sparkling clean, both through sheer use and a certain amount of loving care that was lavished there. It was easy for Silver to see that his putative mistress certainly had a soft spot for books.

Which was all well and good; they were precious objects, and her library had space for thousands of them, each one carefully and laboriously written by hand by a trained and highly skilled scribe. Taking care of them, preserving their information so painstakingly presented, that was the only prudent course of action.

Alses fondly – and absently – patted the head of the brass velispar that formed the banister of the staircase leading to the mezzanine floor in passing, an action she probably wasn’t even aware of. It only served to cement Silver’s impression, even as he dutifully followed her up to the desk where the interview had begun, several bells ago.

With both of them settled back into their respective seats, the desk a small barrier between them, Alses let the silence stretch for some little while, a comfortable little pause in which both of them caught their breath and ordered their thoughts.

So, Mr. Silver. What would you do if you were butler to Elysium Hall? Advise me.

Leaning back slightly in his chair, Silver steepled his fingers and regarded Alses over them. “I’d leave your library and your laboratory entirely within your purview, m’lady. I rather think you’d take my head off if I attempted anything there.

Alses shrugged, covering a smile. “I’d not mind if someone came in to dust the library and restock the log scuttle,” she noted. “Just not if they disturb the books, or my desk. The lab, though, that’s absolutely off-limits, as you say. If there was a project in there and you moved anything, or scuffed anything…the results could be a smoking crater where this tier used to be.

Silver flinched, despite a valiant attempt not to. “
Just so, your grace,” he settled on, uneasily. “Then if the modifications I mentioned previously were made, I would first see about engaging one or two maids to help with the general upkeep of the Hall. It’s clean enough,” he admitted, and the pained thrill through his aura told Alses just how much it had cost the man to say so, “But there is still considerable room for improvement in standards. It’s not a criticism,” he added, quickly, “Given that you are one person with limited time and, presumably, patience.

Alses laughed at that. “Very much so. We’ve almost no patience for cleaning; it’s a circular activity that’s boring and depressing in about equal measure. No-one should have to do that all the time.

Silver covered a smile. “
That is the function of maids, your grace.

She scowled in reply, a thundercloud crossing her features. “I know,” she replied shortly. “When there was no other alternative at the Towers Respite, we were one, for a time. I didn’t like it then, and I don’t like it now.

To continue,” Silver said smoothly, surfing past that particular collection of conversational rocks. “Concurrent with employing a small household staff to relieve you of mundane chores, there would have to be a period of observation and adjustment; even the very best staff need a little time to assess their employer’s own particular needs. I would also take stock of the household requirements and formulate a budget – subject to your approval, of course. That would take care of matters like the disbursement of wages to employees, the laying in of the occasional good vintage to impress guests a few years down the line, the maintenance and upkeep of the fabric of the house and so on. Then-

At this – with no sign of Silver stopping in his measured monologue, Alses waved him into silence and cradled her head on her hands, looking at him quizzically.

All right, all right,” she said. “It’s quite clear to me that you know exactly what’s necessary for this place and we don’t. You haven’t lied to us – don’t look affronted, people lie more than they know – and your aura doesn’t irritate me. When could you start, Mr. Silver?

The man considered the matter carefully before he replied. “
Master Mirihar has known for some time of my desire to find alternative employment, and many of my affairs have been set in order to that eventuality. That said, I should like four days to finalise matters; it should be ample to arrange everything.” There was a brief pause, followed by a small smile.

And if I am to be your butler, your grace, then please, Silver will do.

END
Alses
Lady Magesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

You Rang, M'Lady?

Postby Brandon Blackwing on November 30th, 2014, 1:48 pm

ALSES

XP Award:
  • Interrogation +4
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Socialization +4
  • Intimidation +1

Lore:
  • The Butler: Maximilian Silver
  • Silver’s History
  • Silver’s observations: Elysium Hall has to be changed to accommodate servants
  • Elysium Hall: It’s nothing more but a core
  • Silver: A capable and observant butler
  • Silver has a pleasant aura

Notes:
I’ll just go with the standard ‘good job’ and ‘keep up the good work’ :)

Please edit or delete your request in the request thread.
Comments, questions or concerns regarding your grade? Why not send me a PM?

credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)