Closed Seasons May Change (Khara)

Zhol and Khara watch the season change from summer to fall.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Seasons May Change (Khara)

Postby Zhol on August 31st, 2014, 11:11 pm

|.91st Summer / 1st Autumn, 514
"Oh, come on," Zhol enticed, drawing upon every ounce of flirt and charm that he could muster, his most winning and disarming smile aimed squarely at the woman in front of him. Had she been plated up in the Communal Kitchens as a meal, Zhol might have suspected that she was yesterday's spoilt leftovers, but that didn't hinder him from pulling out all the stops to curry her favour. "We both know the kitchens bake too many. Who would you rather give the leftovers to: me, the rats, or the Dek?"

A subtle shift of his shoulders widened the plunging neckline of his shirt. It wasn't intended to be quite so revealing, but wear and tear had taken their toll on his work clothes. He hadn't quite mustered the courage to go full Inarta and forego a shirt entirely - particularly not in his line of work, and with autumn only a sunrise away - but plenty of merchandise was currently on display. "I'm wasting away under here," he added, with a flicker of a wry smile.

Her gaze unflinching, the woman released her grip on the fistful of bread, and deposited it unceremoniously atop one of the two plates of mystery stew. "I hope your little Chiet girlfriend enjoys it," she shot back. Zhol rapidly entered a competition with the chunks of tomato for saturation of colour.

"She's not -" Zhol began to protest, but found himself shuffled aside by the next hungry patron before he had the opportunity to state his case.

He wove his way through the swarm of departing Avora, and past the queue of Chiet whose patience came in varying degrees, in complete silence, all his self-control focused on bringing the flush in his cheeks back under control. The seats that he had sent Khara to scout out were thankfully out of sight line and earshot of of his half-successful attempt at seduction; he wasn't sure whether a glower or a look of introvert sorrow would have met him if Khara had seen, but he didn't particularly feel like he had the emotional fortitude to withstand either.

He settled a plate in front of Khara, and one in front of himself, before swinging his legs over the seat and settling into place. "I don't know what's in it," he admitted; a brief moment of hesitation lingered before he reached for the bread and tore it in half, one portion given to Khara and himself. His focus shifted downwards as his cutlery performed the same bisection of the Avora's meat portion; the squelch as the hunk of probably moose oozed into the fluid of Khara's serving was somewhat less appetising than he would have liked. Distribution complete, his eyes climbed to Khara's, and he flashed her an easy smile. "I thought it best not to ask, all things considered."

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari"
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Khara on September 2nd, 2014, 1:26 am

"You'll get in trouble for that one of these days, you realize." Khara knew the statement had been one she had said several times to Zhol over the course of their friendship, especially at any meals they shared, but it still felt like it had to be once more.

The ritual of him giving her a portion of his extra servings had started during the famine and while she used to outright try and refuse it, she now only cast a quick glance to make sure no one else had noticed. It was one of the reasons she always chose one of the tables in the Kitchens that sat closer to the wall, away from where most of the other Inarta gathered but not too far as to look like they were trying to set themselves apart. It was a delicate balance, and one that Khara was never entirely sure she was successful at.

She flashed a grateful smile before testing the stew, the spoon in her hand twirling as she considered the flavour. "I believe it's rabbit." She announced with an air of uncertainty. "Of course it could also be raccoon for all I know. I was rubbish in the kitchens when I was a Yasi. It was always my worst bendi, ever. I never was yelled at but I think Davoid was genuinely happy whenever I wasn't assigned there."

A small laugh left her before she pointed her spoon in his direction. "Of course, you keep bending rules and soon she'll start being happy when you miss a meal."

A quick wink followed and Khara returned to her meal, letting a few moments of silence pass between them. She loathed those moments, especially after she had said something that no doubt would have infuriated most other Avora. Khara ended it the only way she knew how, to suddenly blurt out the first thing that came to her mind. "So, you have any plans for tonight? A sendoff for Summer?"

"Nari" | "Common"
Last edited by Khara on September 5th, 2014, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zhol on September 2nd, 2014, 2:49 am

His insides squirmed uncomfortably every time she said it: every time she reminded him that treating his best friend like a fellow human being was some great cultural taboo here. He understood why it was necessary for certain individuals with certain useful skills to be fed and paid preferentially: but he looked after horses. The Inarta didn't even like horses. Yet, his skills were highly prized enough to have earned him the status of Avora; meanwhile Khara, whose job saw her risking her life on a near daily basis to find food and lead the hunters to it - all the work, none of the credit - earned her a pittance, despite the physical nature of her work. Granted, she was small and slender enough that a normal meal for him might seem like a banquet to her; but that didn't change the fact that in their case, the system was broken. He had to abide by the Inarta's laws, and he had to respect them; but he damn well didn't have to like them, and he would continue to act the way he did until someone caught him and forced him to stop.

Khara's question made him uncomfortable too, but for different reasons. A frown formed on his brow; he poked at the stew a few times with his fork, hoping to bluff Khara into believing it was what had sparked his expression. Her question was oddly prescient: for days, as the season had drawn to a close, Zhol had been on edge. The few transitions he'd gone through had not been enough to overwrite his memories of the upheaval back home when Endrykas had prepared to migrate towards the next space on it's rotating journey around Cyphrus. You could take the boy out of Endrykas, and hide him away in caves inside a volcano with absolutely nothing to remind him of home whatsoever; but apparently you could not take the Endrykas out of the boy. Two days ago he had caught himself packing his belongings, as if he was preparing to move on; no matter what he tried, he still hadn't convinced himself to start thinking of Wind Reach as home.

"No," he replied slowly, loading a fork with various chunks of the ooze-covered stew, the thick sauce homogenizing everything into mostly the same colour, which looked almost faintly blue under certain lights. At least some of the food fragments definitely weren't rabbit; he optimistically hoped that they were mushrooms, rather than anything untoward. "The end of summer was pretty hectic back where I came from," he started to explain, braving his first mouthful of stew; the explanation was forestalled by the surprising impact of rich and diverse flavours that assaulted his senses. Visually appealing it may not have been, but it was most certainly edible in the extreme.

Zhol snuck in another mouthful, speaking around it as he continued. "I haven't really been here long enough to have picked up any of your traditions. I was probably just going to spend the rest of the evening reading my -"

Children's story book, his subconscious finished helpfully, with a mocking tone that threatened to make Zhol blush. It wasn't an inaccurate assessment, though: the book, in Nari, that he had borrowed from the Enclave was indeed intended for Yasi. It even had pictures. But, it was simple enough for his clunky and pathetic grasp of the Nari language to understand most of the words, and for his mind to make an educated guess at the rest based on the context. The potential for embarrassment was worsened by his motives behind this renewed effort to learn the local language: in no small part an effort to avoid feeling ashamed every time he spoke to Khara in a language that wasn't hers.

"No, no plans," he asserted, staring at the stew for fear of what colour his face would turn if he looked at Khara directly. "How about you? Is there some big Inarta party or something you'll be going to?"

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Khara on September 2nd, 2014, 4:15 am

A shoulder was shrugged as she pushed at something unidentifiable in the bowl with her spoon. "No. No parties, at least none that I know of."

A hint of melancholy colored her words as Khara thought of the potential things she missed out on. She wasn't entirely a social creature, but dreams of rising above her caste were always met with a sudden smack of reality when it came to things she wasn't privileged to. Just because she didn't know about any special events that happened during the change in seasons didn't mean there weren't any. Of course there was always bound to be something happening at the Inclement Weather, it wasn't like the Inarta exactly needed a reason to celebrate after all.

"I just like seeing the Watchtower." Khara offered in explanation, another small shrug following in quick pursuit.

Another bout of silence descended upon the duo as they each continued to eat their meals. Khara tensed slightly before forcing herself to start at the chunk of meat that Zhol had shared with her. Like anything that came from the Kitchens it tasted practically divine and for a moment she enjoyed the guilty pleasure of enjoying something that would normally be unavailable to her.

Slowly she looked up from the bowl back to her friend and found his eyes for an instant before she quickly looked away once more. This time she knew his continued quiet was an invitation to continue, or at least she hoped it was. "We have a tower here in Wind Reach, it's called the Wind Tower. Like the others, it changes colors with the season. I never liked waking up to see it suddenly different, I like watching it change."

The girl continued to gently nudge at the contents of her stew, the mindless action comforting in the way it kept her hands from fidgeting on their own. She always seemed nervous around the higher castes, worried about offending them, but with Zhol it was different. It wasn't so much that she found herself continually worried about reprisals so much as he just made her nervous sometimes. You're such a sparrow, always flitting about. What? You afraid he's going to suddenly stop talking to you because you say something stupid?

She could feel her shoulders slumping with each self deprecating thought, even worse when she answered her own question with a Yes. Of couse she was scared of saying the wrong thing to make the human boy start treating her like the rest of the Avora. And it wasn't just the shared meals or even slight protection from others that she got from just being around him. He was her friend, not just someone who had to actually put up with her as a scout. It wasn't even the same type of treatment she received from the other scouts she worked and lived alongside of. Sure they all joked together and were civil enough, but always they were looking at each other as potential threats. If one of them became favored over the others the shared laughs ended quick enough. Even the other Chiet could prove to be an unknown factor in treatment sometimes, as she had learned.

"You don't have to stay up very late, just until after the first bell of the season. It's really pretty." Her voice refused to carry the excitement she actually felt, her thoughts weighing down her tone more than she liked. Her nose scrunched as she made a bit of a face as how it sounded, obviously displeased. "But you've probably seen it before, right? They have Watchtowers everywhere, I hear."

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zhol on September 2nd, 2014, 2:04 pm

Zhol knew that the watchtowers scattered around the world displayed a different colour for each season; but it had never occurred to him to try and witness the transition before. To him, it was just another sign, the same as the change in weather, the lateness of the sunrise, the chill of the air, the colour of the leaves. Zhol had never even considered the notion of trying to catch the watchtower changing, any more than he'd considered trying to witness a leaf fading from green to yellow. You woke up one morning, and the difference had occurred; that was how it had always been for him.

Now confronted with the notion however, there was something strangely comforting about the idea of it. In Endrykas, at this time of year, there wasn't time to sit about and stay up late for such trivial things. His father especially would never have tolerated such frivolous behaviour. If that alone wasn't a point in the tradition's favour, the concept was a reminder of just how different things were here; how instead of a constant migration staying one step ahead of the weather and wilderness, Wind Reach stood firm and resolved, carefully planning for and steadfastly enduring whatever nature threw at the city. There was time to stay and watch and enjoy; that was the privilege that the Inarta's way of life earned them.

It was also the way of life of which Zhol constantly felt himself outside and undeserving. His eyes fell away from Khara's, and for a few moments he tried to concentrate on nothing but eating. When he mustered the resolve to look back, he even managed to summon a small smile.

"I haven't, actually," he admitted, carefully choosing his words. He was not ashamed of the fact that he originated from a different culture; but he preferred not to so actively remind himself and others of it, Khara especially. She always seemed so sad and sorry every time she thought she had accidentally caused some painful memory of home to manifest: and seeing that plaguing her expression was not a sight Zhol ever wanted to have to witness again.

He managed to inject a little extra warmth into his smile. "Seems like you have a real talent for this - scouting out all the things I've never done."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Khara on September 3rd, 2014, 2:56 am

His comment was met with a disapproving squint of her eyes and another wave of her spoon, though now in a poor attempt at a threatening manner. "What did I tell you of teasing me?"

A beat passed before the girl suddenly laughed, not in her usual reserved nervous way but in an actual giggle that barely was suppressed from becoming anything more that would draw attention to them. Still, Khara ended up putting a hand over her mouth and looked away as she tried to bring herself back under control. You completely said that wrong, and it wasn't even funny. He probably thinks you're a total weirdo now or that you were making fun of him. Great job!

Despite the rather negative inner commentary, it was more with playful timidness than actual anxiety that she looked back to him with and let a much shorter, and far more embarrassed, laugh leave her. It finished with a sigh that stood in place of an apology.

"You really should see it though, at least once." Her tone made it unclear as to if she was suggesting or asking, truth was Khara wasn't entirely sure which of the two she was trying to convey either. "I know of some that go to see it from the Edge of the World, but I'm never been that comfortable with climbing in low light. I know somewhere more private, easier to get to. It's nice."

Her words trailed off and she forced herself into silence by taking another spoonful of the stew before giving in to the mix's heartier nature and switching to a fork which she used to poke at a stray vegetable. "If you wanted, I could take you there. I know the change to Fall isn't that dramatic, though. Winter's better when the gem turns to blue, but the trail gets harder with the ice around so it's better to know where you're going before trying it then."

Another small smile found it's way to her as Khara found her shoulder unwillingly forcing another shrug upon her. It was like some sort of reflex to make it seemed as if she was far more indifferent to the idea than she really felt. "I'm going, but I always go. I just think it would be good to have some company for a difference," she flinched and let out a small sound of annoyance at the wrong word before correcting. "Change."

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zhol on September 3rd, 2014, 7:33 pm

It was an innocent invitation, Zhol was absolutely sure of that. Completely and utterly innocent. How could it not be? There was no way that Khara meant anything other than what she literally said. She wanted his company, as a friend. She wanted to share a new experience with him, as a friend. She wanted to take him to a private, secluded spot, alone together, out in the cold, to wait and watch for the changing of the seasons, as a -

That word wedged itself in his mind; not friend, but the one that had thwarted his pitiful efforts at seduction. Heat instantly rose to his face, and try as he might he couldn't manage to keep it under control. He stared at the stew; every time his eyes even thought about straying upwards to look at her, he wrenched them away, counted the bulges of meat and vegetable beneath the gloopy sauce. He didn't allow himself to look at her until the tingling sensation in his ears had subsided. It felt like hours had passed; in reality it may only have been seconds.

"I -"

His voice emerged far fainter than he had expected and he hesitated, swallowing against the arid desert of dryness that had formed in his throat. He saw the way she looked at him; that mix of concern, confusion, and nervous fear as if she was just waiting for some rebuke to put her in her place. His heart sank. He hated that his presence always seemed to cause that; hated that his treatment of her, as a normal equal, seemed to cause discomfort as much as anything else. And yet even in spite of all that, despite how uncomfortable she felt behaving like a friend towards an Avora, here she was reaching out, offering to share something of hers, something personal, with him.

He felt a hint of panic tugging at the edges of his expression, and realised how much the opposite of reassuring he must have seemed in that moment. He forced a smile onto his features, and found it running away with him, wholly genuine aside from a few flickers of nervousness. He prepared his mouth to reply again, but instead of the Common that he had grown so accustomed to speaking in Wind Reach, he scraped through his memory to muster together as many of the pitiful few words of Nari that he knew.

"I would be very like of that."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Khara on September 5th, 2014, 5:55 am

This time there was no holding back the laugh that escaped her, but it somehow managed to keep itself controlled to just loud enough for the both of them. It wasn't that she found the way he had said things funny... In truth, she wasn't quite sure what it was that she found so amusing. Zhol's attempts at speaking Nari were always awful and although she'd never admit it really, Khara always appreciated the times he tried. Khara had often found herself wondering just how much longer the human would stick around Wind Reach for. He didn't seem the type to just give up on something, but at the same time she noticed how he seemed to shy away from any mention of something that made him different from the Inarta. There were hints, nothing she was really certain of though, that he wasn't adjusting as well as he hoped. It would be easy to leave and find somewhere else populated with more of his kind, she knew of at least one city that was fairly close - If you could consider the better part of a season's worth of travel close. At first such thoughts had only been a mild curiosity, but recently they'd become far more unwelcome, sometimes going as far as to twisting her stomach in knots. The Inarta girl didn't want to admit it, but she'd become a bit dependent on Zhol just being there. She didn't like trying to figure out exactly why that was.

Thankfully the thought only came briefly and was brushed aside by her lingering amusement at the way he'd agreed to go with her. When the laugh had faded she had been left with a smile that refused to leave and a giddiness that was building up inside of her to match. "Great!"

She tried to think of something else to add, her typical internal dialog already accusing her with a dry sounding Great? That's it? She silenced it by biting her lower lip, the motion only slightly diminishing the excitement she had finally let loose before she finally made herself look away from the Avora and back to the remaining meal in front of her. Suddenly it seemed more of an obstacle to overcome than anything else seeing as how her mind was already trying to race outside and up the mountains.

Between forcing herself to finish the stew, she began explaining her rough plan for the night. "We can leave right after this if you want," Khara suggested. "You don't really need to bring much things with you, it isn't too far away."

The more she spoke, the quicker her words became and the accent that normally punctuated her words in Common became all the more pronounced. "We''ll probably need a torch or similar, and you'll want a Katinu, if you have one. That's a type of... coat, I think you say it? That we have here. It's not always cold this time of year but it can be when it wishes. For winter I may go with a blanket, though always end up standing because of the snow. Sometimes it gets really windy. This one year there was practically a blizzard going on but you could still see the glow from the gem. It was really pretty, but kind of scary, and..."

Khara paused as she realized she had suddenly swapped languages, her eyes meeting those of the Avora sheepishly before suddenly darting away. "Sorry. I carried myself away there for a little." She spoke softly while trying to ignore the sudden feeling like she'd just jumped in front of one of the glassworker's kilns. A shallow breath was taken before she broke off a piece of bread and shoved it in her mouth in hopes it would keep her silent for a moment or two.

"Nari" | "Common"
Last edited by Khara on September 7th, 2014, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zhol on September 5th, 2014, 4:22 pm

"No sorry."

The Nari words were slow and clunky, strung together in the order he managed to dredge them from his mind. The sound of his voice butchering the accent and pronunciation grated against his ears, but he persevered; soldiered through.

"I like your -" He grimaced, not even sure of what the word was in Pavi or Common, let alone Nari. "- many words?"

He fell into an uncomfortable silence, but it was more shame than embarrassment that plagued him. His hands rested on the table, fidgeting periodically, fingertips tapping against the tabletop and each other. How many seasons had he been here now? How many times had he and Khara talked? Yet, while Khara's command of Common had more fluent with each passing day, Zhol could still barely manage to string a sentence together. It poked at him, niggled at him; no matter how hard he wanted to feel at home here, there was always something to remind him that he just didn't belong. Worse, he realised, the briefest of glances cast in Khara's direction; it reminded him of just how one-sided their friendship was, and how unfair it was that he couldn't in even the smallest way pay her back for everything she'd done to him these past seasons.

"I don't think I have a, Katinu, you called it?" He snuck in a breath and pushed it slowly down to the base of his lungs, crushing his gut into a tight knot. His insides strained and constricted as he forced a tiny piece of him, a tiny fragment of his djed, to break free. A small droplet of res bloomed from beneath his skin, and for the briefest second, only half an inch at a time, the pattern of a windmark was traced across his ordinarily bare skin. He rolled his arm, the sliver of pattern wrapping around his wrist before flowing across his palm and to the very tip of his index finger. A strained, concentrated thought, and the droplet burst into a tiny flame, surviving for only a split second before Zhol blew to extinguish it.

He offered Khara a small, almost sheepish smile. "I don't think the cold is going to be a problem, though."

Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Khara on September 6th, 2014, 12:31 am

It wasn't the first time that Khara had seen Zhol use Reimancy, it wasn't even dramatic all things considered, but it still created a sense of awe in her. It wasn't that it was rare, she'd even seen another Inarta using it to manipulate some of the tunnels within the warrens when she was younger, it was more that the Chiet girl couldn't quite wrap her head around how it worked. Fire just wasn't supposed to work that way.

"Showoff," Khara said, her tone light. Zhol may not have understood the exact word she used, but the smirk that formed on her lips and the small shake of her head left little doubt of it's meaning.

"I would still recommend having something warm to wear. Less chance of burning yourself." Without thought she reached across the table and took hold of his hand, turning it so his palm faced upwards. "If you damage this, you might end up with nothing. Though, I guess you could still speak to your horses."

For a moment she looked his hand over, focusing on where the flame had appeared at his fingertip as if she might fight the secret to what he had done there. With a soft huff she finally let him go and sat back before picking up the fork and idling began poking at the small portion of meat she had remaining. "Besides, I don't think Solo or I want to see you hurt like that. You wouldn't be able to braid his hair and I may not always be around to show you where the infirmary is."

A thoughtful hmm left her as Khara looked back down at the last bit of supper. "I think we should meet up maybe a bell before Midnight, then? You may not need warm clothing but I will. Somewhere right outside the gates would be good," she paused, tapping her fork against the side of the bowl. "The stables?"

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next