Open [Various] Up, Down, All Around

Aoren goes in search of a shop and gets well...lost. Will anyone help him find his way?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Various] Up, Down, All Around

Postby Aoren on September 13th, 2014, 9:30 pm

87th of Fall, 514 AV
Mid-Morning

Aoren was, to put it bluntly, lost. He stood staring at the map that had been given to him on his arrival to the city with a slightly confused expression on his face. He may as well have been reading a volume on the grammatical structure of the Ancient Tongue. He had awoken earlier that morning determined to find a shop where he could buy suitable equipment to prepare him for his citizenship trial down the road. It had been rather interesting learning that in order to become a citizen of Riverfall one had to be tested in matters of combat. Aoren wasn’t unfamiliar with skirmishes as he had been in a few throughout his life. The idea of it being a test of induction into the city though struck him as a little odd. When the reasons for it had been explained however, it had made more sense.

I can’t very well go in fighting in nothing but my common clothes now can I?

With a sigh and a hefty sum taken from his stash of coins, Aoren had shouldered his empty pack ready to find a shop willing to tailor armor to his form.

The only problem was navigating the city. The map had been helpful or at least Aoren had thought it was. Before long he found himself roaming the streets of Riverfall utterly and completely lost. It was at this point that he rolled up the scroll, tucked it into his belt, huffed somewhat agitatedly and found a ledge to lean on. Running both hands through his noticeably shorter hair he managed a smile. The day prior he had run into a very welcome and familiar face. After the long journey at sea, seeing Caelum had made coming to the somewhat imposing city less of a daunting endeavor. He smiled because it was the Ethaefal’s hands that had shorn away his previously shaggy, travel worn hair. While certainly not perfect Aoren felt far more presentable especially now that he was clean shaven as well.

Aoren took that time to reflect on what exactly was to come in the days ahead. For being in a city not even a full day already Aoren’s time seemed stretched thin. Nevertheless he was certain everything would fall into place with just a little patience on his part. As he thought on the journey he had started he gazed out over the cityscape that he could see. Riverfall was truly unlike any place that Aoren had ever seen before. As the ship he’d arrived in had come upon the city he had been given the distinct impression that he was entering a land of stone and discipline. When he’d actually entered the city he’d found a sweeping garden crafted in the face of a cliff with its waterfalls and immaculate greenery. Everything he’d seen of Riverfall thus far had spoken of an appreciation for vibrancy, for life, and for simple things nurtured to their strongest potential. The people were polite, hale and hearty as far as he could tell. This nature was reflected in the world around them.

With a small sigh Aoren stood up straight. He brought a leg up holding it behind him grasping his ankle to stretch his thigh muscles. The amount of stair climbing, bobbing and weaving he’d done thus far had shown him exactly how much work he needed to put into gaining his strength back. When he was done stretching he pulled out the scroll unfurling it adopting his puzzled expression again.

Alright, let’s see if I can’t figure this out.

It was going to be a long morning.

NotePurchases to be made in this thread have been deducted from ledger according to prices listed in the Price List.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on September 16th, 2014, 3:41 pm

The winter chill was on the air that morning. It was like a breath of Queen Morwen from the north, hinting at her reign of ice and snow. Sometimes she came early, before the flash of the watchtower. Othertimes she came later. In Riverfall she heralded herself early not ten days past with unseasonable frost. Xira, clad in his common clothes and his hat, was in need of something warmer for the winter. This was not Syliras after all, whose heated interior made it possible to live without a coat or jacket until one was actually ready to leave the castle. It was long overdue anyways. He could afford nicer clothes, something to appeal to the higher class patrons that he would undoubtedly have to deal with.

But before he could do that, he needed to finish this delivery. A set of invitations to a private party. The places were scattered about the city, though he managed to get most of them delivered. It was as if the patron, another hulking akalak, found some sick glee in making someone else go through half the city, up and down the waterfall, to send these letters. Granted... that was particularly apart of the appeal of his business. Do what others could not bother to do themselves. But the city was confusing. Xira was was used to the confusing mass of Sylirian tunnels, not this vertical based city. The difference in dimensions was easily one to mess with the mind.

So he did his best to navigate the city. But even with his map, his experience living in the city for now three seasons and the actual directions from his patron. He found himself lost, again. It was entirely embarrassing for one such as he, a courier, to be lost. He passed by shops, beautiful apartments and homes, fountains and parks. But nothing clicked in his mental map.

He sighed and leaned up against a ledge. He shook his head to himself, not noticing that he was not the only one to seem irritated at something. With either elbow on the rock slab and his fingers on his temples, he did his best to reconstruct the city in his mind. His current location? It seemed familiar, but then again so did much of the city. You saw one fountain, one waterfall, you've seen them all.

"Goodness..." He said to himself, pulling out his map just as his neighbor did. With the sound of parchment ruffling to his right, he jumped and looked over at a tall, blonde human. Unusual in a city of colored skin of blue, green, purple or red. The man seemed puzzling over a map laid out before him, just as the courier was about to do himself. He cleared his throat and tentatively asked, "First day in Riverfall?" He asked with a half smile. He knew the feeling, when he first arrived in Riverfall the courier had to ask a dozen people directions to find the Sanctuary. But he found it, and with it, a home and good friends. Even if earlier in the season that friendship was strained as something came over them all.

He looked up at the man inquisitively, wondering about his story.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aoren on September 21st, 2014, 1:22 am

Sorry. Did I startle you?” Aoren’s eyes came to rest on a dark haired blue eyed man just a few inches shorter than himself. The man had jumped upon realizing that Aoren was there. Likely it was that he heard the Drykas man rustle the paper of his map. The Healer gave the dark haired man an apologetic smile.

Yes, actually. I am, well, not from here.” Aoren furrowed his brow uncertain about how much he should reveal about himself to a perfect stranger. He’d learned the hard way that not everyone was as friendly as they appeared to be. Aoren eyed the man from head to toe.

I’d venture a guess to say that you’re not from around here either.” Given that the city was home to very tall men with skin varying shades of blue, green or even red and some purple, Aoren wasn’t making much of a guess. He was not learned enough however to be able to place where in the world this newcomer was from. Aoren possessed no ear for accents nor did the man really possess any defining traits as far as he could tell. He looked down at his map once again puzzling over which direction to take.

I am looking for a place to buy some armor and a few weapons. I’m told that in order to become a citizen of Riverfall you need to pass some sort of combat test?” Aoren glanced up as if seeking confirmation of this test from the other man. Whether it was given or not he would simply shrug his shoulders.

I figure I might as well start preparing myself for that test. What better time to start than now, eh?” He gave the stranger a smile before reaching up to run a hand through his hair. The sandy blonde hair wasn’t as long as Aoren was used to. For nearly two seasons he’d become accustomed to it being down to his shoulders if not longer. Having spent the greater majority of the Fall season out at sea he’d also been forced to let his beard grow out. The thing had nearly driven him mad with how itchy it made his face feel. Aoren sorely disliked an unclean appearance and when he’d stepped off the boat that was exactly what he’d looked like. Untidy.

Now however, he was dressed in a tailored outfit that while not what one would call luxurious was certainly of a fine quality. He wore a long sleeveless charcoal jacket that hung past his knees brushing over mid-shins underneath which Aoren wore a dark black high v-necked shirt with steel blue sleeves. His pants were the same charcoal black as the jacket and were tucked into calf high cloth boots with thick soles. Around Aoren’s waist were several sashes overlapping each other to form a criss-crossing pattern. Similar straps wove around his forearms to keep the excess cloth from impeding hand movement.

Would you—“ Aoren paused chewing on his bottom lip briefly before finishing his question. “Would you mind very much lending me a hand? Or perhaps just pointing me in the right direction?

Any directions were better than none. What better way to learn his way around than to seek guidance from someone who, presumably, had been in Riverfall longer than himself?
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on October 3rd, 2014, 6:19 pm

The courier gave a sheepish look and smiled, "Think nothing of it. Ukalas above knows that I should be paying more attention to my surroundings." He flicked an invisible smudge of dust from his plain and simple coat and turned to the newcomer. First thing the courier noticed was that this blonde man had a mark covering one side of his face. While Xira was inexperience in the way of gods and goddesses, the courier had seen that mark before. Caelum, one of his newer friends and proprietor of the Alements had the exact same mark. This man was a healer, a follower of Rak'keli.

He nodded to himself, his face smoothing back into a smile even though he hadn't realized that his brows came together in a thoughtful frown. "No sir, I am not from around here" Xira's fluid facial expressions upturned into a slight smirk which quickly disappeared least his new acquaintance suspect he was smirking at him. The idea that he would be from Riverfall, home of the colorful men, was an amusing one. "That is correct, all citizens are required to pass such a test and become a Kuvan as well as be employed. The idea is to support the city should it come under attack. Say from the Zith or from Glassbeaks. Otherwise you remain a guest, one without rights, I should add." That much he had learned from three seasons of living in Riverfall.

The courier glanced down at his own map, looked about for landmarks and started building up his mental map again. The city was so beautiful, a far cry from the heavy stone walls of his home. If he were to think of the city in terms of magic, where Syliras was dominated by earth, Riverfall was most certainly dominated by water. The humidity and the temperate zone kept the chill of winter from becoming too much and the water flowed constantly. However it was distracting, all these ornate waterfalls, fluted channels and fountains. Not to mention the greenery that was fed by these fountains. "Sharp idea, Sir. Pushing yourself is a great idea but just keep in mind that this is no race, should you become overwhelmed." He turned to the man and offered his hand, "The name is Xira, by the by." His Sylrian origins marking his particular choice of words. "I am a courier in these part and would love to help you out. I was intending on visiting the smith myself. I have an order to pick up, incidentally. I could show you but I have to make stops along the way."

While they were talking Xira's mind was working, so he might have sounded a bit distracted. He had a general idea of where he was at now and thus he was plotting a route through the city that would hit each of the persons that he needed to deliver to. It was perhaps a bit out of the way, but with a destination in mind, it would end up at the Arma'Drex Smithy. The trick was that one had to think vertically. The two would be travelling down stairs for a time, then back up them in a great circle then cross the river. Xira had already delivered to much of the northern half of the city, so once they had finished he could spend his leisure time at the weapon shop.

"Well then, shall we?" He rolled up his map and gave him a beaming smile, his arms spread out and gesturing down the stairs.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aoren on October 7th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Aoren had only ever heard stories about the vicious bird-like creatures called Glassbeaks. Those stories were centered mostly around campfires used to scare children into obedience or for amusement. Still, no matter how tall the tale there must have been some truth to them. The one ghastly creatures that he himself had faced down had spit acid and reduced strong warriors to piles of molten sludge. It had been a horrifying incident. One that Aoren was not bent on revisiting any time soon.

Well, I don’t intend to remain a guest for long and as for races well I have always been of the mind that to push myself is the only way I’ll get ahead in this world.” He gave the man, Xira as it turned out, a smile. With a nod he reciprocated the introduction with one of his own.

You may call me, Aoren.” Tucking the map into the sash around his waist Aoren gestured for Xira to lead the way. “It would appear that I bumped into exactly the right person. Lead the way.

Hefting his empty pack up over one of his shoulders the Drykas man followed Xira patiently. He brought himself into step with the dark haired man matching his pace. As they walked Aoren examined more the city around them. There were parts of Riverfall that he’d seen that made him nostalgic for Syliras. Then there were parts that were so breathtaking he forgot all about the Fortress City where he’d grown up. Truthfully, Aoren couldn’t really call Syliras his homeland. It had been a place where he’d lived up until a few seasons ago but it had never really been home. For a time it was but that time was gone. Riverfall was different though. Only time would tell how different.

So, given that you are not from around here might I ask where exactly are you from?” Aoren quirked his head studying Xira for a moment before directing his attention to a set of stairs.

I grew up in Syliras. Far from here in a land where Knights rule with absolute authority and peace is bought at a price.” Aoren’s choice of words might be interesting to someone who paid attention to such things. Indeed, the blue eyed man was not born in Syliras. He was a youngling when he arrived at the city with barely any memories of his homeland. The only thing he had was what the caretakers at the Welcome Home orphanage had told him and the flashes of the insight he could glean on his own. No, he was born in Cyphrus and it would be Cyphrus that Aoren intended to spend the next many years of his life. Where that lead him he had no idea as of yet. Which only served to bring the humor of being in the company of a courier, a messenger, to the forefront of his mind even more.

Maybe this is a sign from the gods. A guide to set me down the right path….or the wrong one. I wonder which?

These thoughts passed through his head in just a few ticks as he wondered where Xira might have been from. Perhaps he was from Zeltiva? Maybe he’d hail from far off Nyka? Aoren had met a Ravokian once but that was a sore subject he rarely breached, if ever.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on November 7th, 2014, 1:04 am

Xira's dark blue eyes had been flitting about their surroundings when Aoren spoke of his own origins. Those eyes closed briefly and settled on Aoren, his gaze now curious and perhaps a bit penetrating. Now, Xira was not the most observant fellow in the city; points and observations flew over his head on a regular basis. But at that moment the courier took a moment to really digest what those words might have meant. He paused before he spoke, letting his words flow from that place that kept track of things, that place that measured and trimmed and made careful notation of nuances. "A price? What price might that be?"

He let the question about his own origins pass by, with every intent on answering it but not quite yet. But so they talked and discussed their pasts and so they made their way through the city. Winter's chill was upon them and passersby wore not their usual leathers, but warm furs and clothes more suitable for the near change in season. Their first stop was coming up. "Excuse me Aoren, if I might take a brief moment, I must get this invitation delivered. But if you'd like to accompany I would surely enjoy the company, sometimes these akalak men intimidate me so." He smiled sheepishly, admitting a weakness was not easy. But it was his way to be honest.

Xira passed under the sign of Cavern Creations and over to the sister shop, "What Boils Beneath". The invitation on his list was to a master Sivoret, owner of What Boils Beneath. Xira called out to the inner confines of the shop as he took his time down the spiral stone stairwell, "Hello! My name is Xira Hezmek, I am looking for a Master Sivoret in regards to a letter!" He frowned when he found himself in the lobby which was empty and featureless. "Hrm. Hopefully he the man was in." Of course it would have helped if he knew what the man looked like, but such things were remedied in time.

Not wishing to be impolite he knocked upon the door and waited. He then began to speak softly, amicably to his acquaintance "I forgot to answer you earlier, but I also am from Syliras. Raised there in any case for much of my life until last winter. There is a story to it but unfortunately I suspect we do not-" at that moment the door swung inward and one of the most average looking akalak Xira had ever laid eyes on greeted them with a blue, blank face. "May I help you...?" The deep resounding voice trailed off softly as he waited expectantly, "Ah yes" Xira replied, "I need to speak a Master Sivoret please, I have a letter for him." The courier then bowed to the unknown man and gave his best smile upon straightening up.

The Akalak nodded once and disappeared behind the door, leaving the laboratory open for the courier. He looked over at Aoren and followed behind the Akalak.

OOCFeel free to respond however you like :)
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aoren on November 11th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Aoren pointed skyward in answer to Xira’s question. He then gestured all around them. It was simple enough but the meaning was easily overlooked.

This. Syliras is well and safe but its people are huddled in dark corridors cut off from the freedom of the sky, the bright glory of Syna or the sacred glow of Leth. A Syliran could go their whole life never leaving the walls of the citadel and for them I would weep. All the years I lived there I spent more time yearning for more than stone walls and stifling hallways. I just never realized how much I had been deprived of until I left.” He shrugged his shoulders. Unlike a great many he had encountered in recent times Aoren did not begrudge the Knighthood. He had never had anything but pleasant experiences with them though he knew that their law was sometimes a little harsh.

Who was he to judge though? The whole of his life Aoren had been able to see the world from other perspectives. It had broadened his mind but in many cases it had left him lacking in the ability to be surprised by any extreme. There were exceptions however, Riverfall seemed to be one of them.

I think I can understand why they’re so intimidating.” Aoren inclined his head to a pair of Akalak men engrossed in a conversation. They were speaking a language that Aoren did not understand but they returned his nod none the less. Aoren hadn’t met many Akalak in his life but from what he could tell they were men built for war. He followed Xira into the shop his eyes alight with curiosity. He looked around the plain lobby accompanying Xira into the interior after he announced himself. When he spoke, Aoren listened.

It is a story I wouldn’t mind hearing—“ Aoren wasn’t able to finish his sentence as the door just ahead of them swung open. He watched the exchange between Xira and the Akalak giving the man a nod when he received a cursory glance. Aoren glanced around the lobby. He walked up to a nearby wall leaning against it folding his arms over his chest as they awaited the return of either the Akalak or this Master Sivoret. In that span of time Aoren studied Xira. There weren’t really any defining features to tell if someone was from Syliras or not. The whole citadel was a melting pot of people from all regions of the world it lacked a definitive identity of its own, in Aoren’s opinion. Zeltiva had been filled with a rougher variety of people made harsh by the life they lived. Giving praise to Laviku and being almost entirely reliant upon the great sea for sustenance shaped them into a very hearty people.

In the case of Syliras, Aoren had seen red haired Inarta from the furthest corner of the world. The exact name escaped him but he remembered when the great eagle riders arrived in the city requesting aid from the Knights. There were the spidery Symanestra, one of them in the direct employ of the knighthood, the strong Akalak, the noble Drykas, he’d worked for an Eypharian, he’d heard of the savage Myrians, there had of course been many others. In that Aoren believed himself privileged and was perhaps one of the reasons why he was so comfortable with being so far away from the land he grew up in.

Everyone has a story, Xira. I’ve seen my fair share enough to know that no matter the story, each one is unique to those who experience it. As I was saying, I wouldn’t mind hearing yours if you find yourself inclined to share it.” He nodded his head before taking another look around.

So, what is this place? With a name like “What Boils Beneath” I would venture a guess it has to do with something hot. Am I right?” Aoren quirked his head. A smile found its way to his lips as he met Xira’s gaze. It was a very small attempt at humor to help set the man at ease.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 20th, 2015, 7:21 am

As Xira made his way into the laboratory the man, presumably Sivoret, immediately came up and shoo'd the two intruders out. The two repelled men might have been able to see a neat and orderly philtering laboratory. With glassware aplenty, jars of leaves and herbs lined the wall. All of which centered around great contraptions that a skilled philterer might guess its purpose of being to purify, brew and extract specialized properties from base materials. A puff of sweet smelling smoke escaped the door as he lightly closed the door behind himself and his apprentice. "Sorry gentlemen, the laboratory is not open for customers. Please wait in the lobby at the table and I'll be write with-" The chemist was stopped by the hulking akalak's broad palms on his shoulder. The deep voice replied with a "They are here to deliver a letter Master Sivoret."

Xira, perhaps a little unbalanced, nodded and gave an uncertain smile. "Yes sir. Here we are." He shuffled his hands into his pockets and pulled out a stack of invitations. In a quick deft moments his fingers pulled out a letter in a sealed envelope bearing the man's name. "I am Xira Hezmek from Mizahar Express Courier Service. In case you desire something sent, I am here to serve. He gave a bow as the man inspected his letter, to engrossed in his curiosity to further acknowledge the men before him.

He and his akalak then retreated to the laboratory and Xira turned to Aoren. "I apologize. I should have introduced you, too caught up in the moment I suppose. Where were we?" He gave his fellow countryman a smile and furrowed his brow in thought, "Ah yes. This, or maybe that, was a philtering shop. Syliras has one too, but its very different from this one. I had only been there once, and this is my first time here. The name of the shop was..." He began snapping his fingers in a vain attempt to jog his memory. "Oh well. That human there was Sivoret, but I couldn't tell you who the Akalak was. You would think that being here for 3 seasons would make me know the place better." He laughed lightly, bring to light his thoughts from earlier to the fore.

"Either way, my mission is not finished and coincidentally, I have a letter to give to an apparently well versed weapon smith." He lifted one of the letter between a forefinger and a thumb, as if that meant something more. "Perhaps the stars are aligning, for I have an order that I need to check on at that shop. Now we have to find the place."

The courier then proceeded to hold the door open for this potential new friend. A handsome fellow that he had yet to actually take a good look at in the light. Xira walked in silence for a moment, leading the way to the next destination, and then turned to Aoren with a slight downturn of his lip, "My story, right? Well. It is neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It simply was. I never knew the mother that birthed me, nor the father who sired me. Apparently she died in birth on the way to Syliras from here. Instead I was adopted by another woman. Servant to a knight, really."

He paused thinking about his past. What was it about this man that loosened his tongue? Was it the story itself? Or the calm demeanor and open attitude of this other that made him so much more willing to speak of himself. They would be at their next destination soon, so he slowed his walk to prolong his conversation. "My mother never married, and she died not so long ago." His frown deepened as if speaking about fresh pain brought it to life. "So I lived with a mentor of mine. A drykas fellow named Temur. Inspired me to see the world really, so I became a courier like him. But he disappeared too. I was alone for a time. When old man Kevith, owner of the rearing stallion, approached me with a job that would send me for Riverfall I simply figured that it was time to leave. So here I am! Struggling to give you an entertaining walk, show you about and also get you to a place you need to be. " He said that last bit half joking, despite being entirely true.

"But enough about myself. Please, if I might ask, what of you?" He said with a smile, but he gave his eyes a flick around to check landmarks. If he wasn't careful he would get lost again and now he had the responsibility of an uninitiated fellow Sylirian. Perhaps... he would not do this for a living. Luckily they were right on track. His eyes then fixed on the surprisingly drykas featured man with his prominent gnosis mark affixed to his face.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aoren on April 18th, 2015, 8:28 pm

It is alright. I wasn’t really there on business and the man didn’t really strike me as the conversational type.” Aoren chuckled following alongside Xira that he might continue with his work. He had no other real destinations that day aside from getting to the shop in question. Besides, Xira seemed to be friendly enough company and that was welcome after the long journey at sea.

I am familiar with the philtering shop in Syliras. Stormhold Salves. I served as the apprentice to Mistress Sahfri Blackleaf for several years.” Aoren listened to the story that Xira had to tell. It was not dissimilar to his own as far as the guiding principles of it went. When the man finished he gave a nod of his head.

Our paths aren’t so different, yours and mine. I did not know my mother. I don’t even know her name. I know the name of my father and that he and my mother were Drykas. Beyond that, I know nothing. I was left on the steps of the Welcome Home in Syliras where I grew until I came of age. The only family that I had was the family I made for myself but even they are now gone. I spent many years alone in Syliras not really living, merely wandering through a haze as I searched for myself.” He stepped aside to allow a group of folk to pass before catching up to Xira. The streets of Riverfall were much more open than that of Syliras and not as crowded as those of Zeltiva. The open air was welcome and while the smell of the sea still lingered it was not so heavy as to be stifling.

I left for Zeltiva. I learned many things while I was there, things that will remain with me for the rest of my life. Some of those lessons were pleasant. Some of them are better left buried in time.” He shrugged his shoulders. The city of Zeltiva had been tumultuous with hardship while he’d spent time there. From the outbreak, to the calming of a recent uprising from citizens, to meeting deranged mages on the streets, his journey through Zeltiva had been educational in a variety of ways.

My road took me here to Riverfall. I met with a very good friend of mine upon arriving. Perhaps you’ve heard of him? Caelum of Alements. He and I first met when I was little more than a boy just entering manhood. He did me a service when I was sick and injured.” As they neared what must have been the shop belonging to the reputable weaponsmith, Aoren caught the faint smell of iron. He was reminded of the forges in Syliras. The city certainly had an impressive amount of smithies but it only made sense given the presence of the knights.

So here I am. Where I’ll go from here?” He shrugged his shoulders offering Xira a smile. “Only the goddess, Avalis knows.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on May 8th, 2015, 9:39 am

Aoren's story resonated with Xira, that introspective courier. That haze, a mental stagnation as it were, was something he was intimately aware of. He had been alone, he had been where Aoren was before Aoren left for Zeltiva. A city of which he had heard of only stories. He nodded as he listened, attentive and focused on the man as they walked.

He smiled before he replied. "I have indeed heard of Caelum. Although my part was very minor, I helped him load stock into the Alements before it opened. A wonderful discussion we had over the nature of gods and goddesses. Among... other things." His smiled faltered and his cheeks colored. He did not mean to imply that something untoward happened, but every time he thought or spoke of that man, he could only think of that magnetic... aura that surrounded him. It made him question his sexuality, continues to even now. It has yet to come up in conversation... but it certainly made its mark. He quickly changed the subject. "Ah, well I can at least tell you where you are. Here is the Arma’Drex Smithy, but perhaps you do not need the whisperings of Avalis to figure this out." He chuckled a bit before gesturing to the simple oak door, as if displaying it.

"You might actually be interested in I have ordered." He shoved the door rather forcefully, knowing that it often gets stuck. "It's something called a Tiger Hook Sword. Really interesting design, even if I never use the the blade, I could still end up using it to decorate my room." He turned his attention to the empty shop keep and went to the side of the shop that held the weapon area, "So over here is Haiduk's portion. He is truly a master at his craft, best weapons in Riverfall. The other side is the armorer's portion. His name is... Loris... Lorkem, ah, Loriim. That's right. We haven't actually talked at any length." He called out to towards the back room. "Hail! Haiduk, excuse me, this is Xira Hezmek from Mizahar's Express Courier Services and I have a letter for you!"

There was a rumbling in the back as the man came to the forward of the shop. "So Aoren, have you given any thought about what you would like to get?" Xira asked as they waited for the smith to make his way to them. Hopefully Aoren's response wasn't cut off when the burly blue man emerged from the back. The man still had his blacksmith's apron on and he seemed to be rather annoyed. "Oh. It's you." He said simply. "Here for your swords then? They're finished." Xira put up a hand to stop him, "Ah yes, however I do have a letter for you. Sir." Xira slid the letter from his pocket and handed it as fluidly as he could. "I also have a customer for Loriim?" He gave the smith's name a lilt, indicating that he wasn't entirely sure if that was the right name before continuing, "And perhaps for yourself as well! But I believe I owe you this." He took out a small cloth pouch and counted out his money for his order before he forgot. 150 gold rimmed mizas.

"Loriim! Get out here, you have a customer." Haiduk called towards the back before taking Xira aside. "So as you know, these weapons come in pairs and are meant to be used in pairs. But when you first work with them, use one until you get the hang of it. Never use the blades for sparring. Always use the practice weapons. Very dangerous otherwise." He explained as he dug out an elaborate case much like a bow case. Inside were two pairs of weapons. One in cold iron and the other a wooden replica.

Xira nodded and watched from the corner of his eye as Loriim came out, covered in soot as well. Haiduk continued, "Remember to take care of your weapon. The blade should keep its edge, but you still need to watch for rust. Keep it covered and oiled if possible when it rains. The case works well when you aren't actively using it or you can keep it wrapped in cloth when travelling." Xira replied "Thank you. They are beautiful. I will do as you say, master smith." The burly man nodded, satisfied with the courier's response.

They then both turned to watch Aoren and Loriim speak. At least things were going smoothly today.

PurchaseBow case 20 GM
2 Sword, Tiger Hook, Cold Iron 120 GM
2 Sword, Tiger Hook, Practice, wooden 10 GM
Total: -150 GM
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets