Closed Watchdog

(Jadlin) Ricky starts his training just within the outskirts of Zeltiva, but is he going to train alone or will another decide to join?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Watchdog

Postby Ricky Maze on November 19th, 2014, 2:21 am

Ricky payed close attention as he listened to the ideals that his younger sibling had about shielding, the concepts he'd shared not only broadened Ricky's own horizons a bit but in turn explained a couple of things as well. Maybe with enough effort Ricky in turn could gain a bit of of faster control over his Djed, if he were able to better sense it than he could now then that was a certain probability. Fine tuned control over Djed was something that had to be diligently practiced though, or at least that's what Ricky thought as he heard how Jadlin had came to speak of a separation between Djed and himself. It seemed plausible granted Leeching granted the user the Djed of whatever his intended target was, but as far as having the same principle applied to his own Djed that seemed a bit more difficult. Djed was what made everything up in terms of the body and substance, everything had Djed and at the same time it somehow wound up being nothing.

Thinking back about what he'd learned it seemed like it was nothing but a mass of contradictions, Djed being everything and nothing as it'd been so clearly expressed in the texts and lessons provided overtime. Now though? He truly failed to comprehend how these anomalies made sense, thus his thoughts went to the idea of further practices with the one discipline he needed to learn more about. In a sense Jadlin's procedure to learn a faster weave he'd sure enough gained the ability to mold shields at a much faster pace, yet this in fact had to provide a much more difficult challenge as it created an inborn habit. Shields created to reject water had to have been form in the process, and although it had to be a rather useful skill to develop, the problem it created was that in the act the created shield was most likely matched with the same task. "Aye, we take some pretty good gambles when it comes t' blockin' specific t'ings. De only reason why earth is blocked with me shields is because de rocks aren't a strong enough force t' break de shields."

He repeated this note at the memory of his first shield he made the other day, as his longsword immediately cut the shrub in two and depleted the shield immediately. The fact his weapon proved to have enough power to destroy his own shield, that alone set two different prospective ideas in his head that he wondered about. The first, which he confirmed with the rocks later, was that shields were able to block more than just magic, and yet the second still remained a mystery to him at this point. Though that itself could be explained, because when he thought about Annalisa and her fire Reimancy before her lesson to him, his mind reflected back on the moment where his shield crackled and dispersed from the overpowering force that conquered it. Shields were capable of blocking things, probably anything if the Shielder were both thoughtful and careful with the specifics.

Yet the part that became a gamble was when that shield was weaved to block a specific something, and in turn the power put into it was strong enough to break that said shield. It was a risk but surely there was ways to counter it, ways that he'd yet to discover. He also had to consider that with the improvement of weave and fabrication the shields themselves were likely to grow stronger in turn, so naturally practice was the only thing to make them all the more effective. Jadlin had came up with a bit of a test on his own though, one where he was eager to attempt the idea of tasking the shield to block the rock just as Ricky did with his own. "Give it a whirl mate." He nodded with a bit of encouragement, before Jadlin had lost himself to the call of focus of course. In that moment Ricky remained silent, glance cast back to his previous shield at it stirred for just a couple moments longer until it finally faded out. That was the time limit of a quick simple shield then, without any Djed to feed its lifespan further they would give out after a bit.

That of course depended on the amount of concentration and Djed used to weave and fuel it in the beginning though, perhaps there was a huge factor that weighed in somewhere to determine the Shields own lifespan. That was all to be thought upon later though, as he'd felt a sudden tingle at the surface of his skin, the use of magic in his presence wasn't easy to ignore now granted he'd two disciplines he'd come to practice. The fact he felt foreign Djed about never failed to amaze him of course, as his eyes landed on the fellow Shielder before him when he went in to weave the fabrics of Djed together. Almost as sudden as the shield began to form, the younger brother molded the shield rather quickly compared to Ricky's own span of time. It was strange to see the act of another shield form, and the fact Ricky himself was able to see its sheen span from that of the tree itself to that of the pole, a look of awe in the fisherman's eyes as he never realized it possible. That's... unbelievable! It'd been fabricated in a short span of time so the span of the shield wasn't incredibly large, and even if it looked incredibly thin it still had enough form to allow a plausible means of warding off objects.

He used... de tree, as well as 'is pole as anchor points. Anchors for shields were something he'd never considered, but if such were the case then sure enough he himself could serve as an anchor, he and other objects were able to serve as points for anchors in which shields could merge and form. It made plausible sense but was the shield actually strong enough to last? Was its durability put to the test as the Djed became stretched across the vast space between point A and point b? These were questions that littered his mind as he bent over to pick up the rock, his eyes sharply honed on the shield before him as the faint sheen looked ready to give out at any moment. "Well Oi'm learnin' somet'in new den." He didn't need to worry about any specifics with the way of tossing his rock, really he only needed to approach the fabric of Djed spanned between both anchors, and kneel down at an adjacent point of the shield with perspective eyes drawn on the shield.

He raised the rock up to the point where he flung it forward towards the shield, amazed to find that it only phased right through the fabric as though it weren't there. "Petch me idea Oi had 'bout de game, dis is more interestin' t' me." He mused as he reached at the surface with a fingertip, a brush at the surface of it before his finger immediately followed the same manner as the rock. Still even with his prone to be ignored he still felt the tinges of energy about when his finger poked through, a look of interest certainly found on his face as he continued to inspect the shield while its lifeline lasted. "So while yer shield ain't blockin' earth an' is incredibly thin, Oi still find it amazin' ye can actually weave dis sort o' t'ing t'get'er. Did yer friend teach ya dis as well?" He inquired curiously as he started to tap into his own reserves as well, tempted to give this a try as well seeing as how he was a learning Shielder in turn.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Watchdog

Postby Jadlin Hayes on November 19th, 2014, 6:36 am

Jad was only a little disappointed. He really hadn't expected any better. But nonetheless, he'd hoped the rock might at least wobble the pole arm a bit on its way through the gap. He'd also hoped Ricky would miss with his first throw...

He laughed, with a hint of envy, "Good throw, big brother. I'd like to say that the reason there was no effect was because you missed it cleanly, but we both know you nailed it." He sighed, "Well, so much for quickness...not much good without effectiveness, unless I'm bluffing somehow. But you know, the "water splash" technique I was talking about is just a way to give a mental reference to the notion that you're coated yourself with something. And then correlating that with repetition of Leeching gave me very fast way of transforming that notion into a genuine coating of djed."

He made a face, "Though of course, at first it naturally accessed the most available djed, which was Leeched djed. Over time, I was able to learn to access my own as well. I would wager that you could adapt this technique to speed up your casting time, if you wanted."

He waved quickly, "No, no...I'm not suggesting you learn Leeching. You wouldn't need to. You already know how to access your djed for Shielding. When I learn-... well, when I was taught... how to use this mental... splash... memory... method, it was only to allow me to quickly dispel it. But I think now it would probably block water without any real thought on my part."

He suddenly got a look of inspiration on his face, and turned back to give Ricky a single, raised pointer finger, as if to ask for a single uninterrupted chime. He started to head to the actual water line. "I don't know why I never tried this before." he muttered softly, with a hint of amusement.

He paused and looked back at Ricky, "Well? Are you coming? I want to try something." He realized that he needed to get his mind OFF his intent as much as possible. He wanted to have no initial thought of water, prior to employing his "water splash" technique to quickly throw a shield around his feet. Then when he threw one on, he was going to walk through the ankle deep water and see if his feet got wet.

If his guess was right, just the nature of the association with water, to generate the shield, would probably constitute the necessary focus to automatically task it to block water. He didn't know if Ricky guessed what he was up to, but he would find out soon enough.

To reset his mind to non-water subjects, he started singing a song as he walked. He figured nothing could be better than a nice, dirty ocean ditty. So he dredged up one they used to sing on 'Bethany's Badge'.

"Those marineers, they have no fears, They piss through leather britches,
And flog their dogs agin' the logs, those Hardy Sons o' Bitches.

They wring it tight, from morn 'til night, until their foreskin twitches,
Next morn at Ten, they start again, those Hardy Sons o' Bitches.

When tail is rare, they'll rape a bear, in dusky nooks and nitches,
Nor give a care for sand or hair, those Hardy Sons o' Bitches.

They crawl and creep up on a sheep, and take her when she pitches,
Nor give a damn if it be a ram, those Hardy Sons o' Bitches.

They'll screw a cow and care not how the shyke sticks to their hitches,
Then nail a bull, and fill him full, those Hardy Sons o' Bitches.

Yes, marineers have hairy ears, and only think it itches,
To wipe their ass with broken glass, those Hardy Sons o' Bitches!
"

By the time he was done, he'd slipped his boots off near the water. With no real focused thought, he put the memory of any one of the hundreds of times he'd dunked his hands in water, and imagined himself wiping the wetness across his feet and lower legs, making sure to fully cover them. He could actually feel the coolness of the imagined water. It only took him the same few ticks.

Then he got to his feet and walked right in, kicking splashes of water ironically in every direction. Then he walked back out. He looked down at his feet. Other than a few spots from the splashes on his leggings from his kicking, he was completely dry.

His excitement peaked, "IT WORKED! I actually DID task it! All this time and I never even knew it!"

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on November 28th, 2014, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes - No Hurries, No Worries...
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Words: 187030
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Watchdog

Postby Ricky Maze on November 26th, 2014, 2:28 am

A snicker of amusement crossed Rick's expression as he received praise for 'hitting' the shield, even though the rock practically had no effect on the damn thing. "Its all about de angle." He teased before he heard Jadlin sigh, which brought the fisherman to look over his shoulder at his brother, aside from the fact the shield proved interest he was still more concerned with Jadlin above all else really. The trouble found in the younger siblings face was quite clear even before he expressed it, yet the arguable logic behind how he managed to put this shield together left Ricky to question if it was intended to block actual water or block any magical forms of Djed. With the way the discussion started to sound though Ricky nearly assumed that Jadlin was suggesting to learn of another magic, a magic that was well loathed although it granted several good perks such as excess Djed. Yet that Djed had to be toxic or something to the user, otherwise the drawbacks of it wouldn't be so harsh on the body.

That begged the question though, once Jad had cleared up his meaning, could others such as Ricky learn to generate shields faster and exploit them in this manner? The fellow brother looked to have some sort of revelation, his direction towards the ocean front that resided behind them as Ricky continued to examine his previous shield further. "Hmm..." He looked at his finger that phased right through the fabrics and wondered something, granted he could see this shield that Jadlin created and Jadlin couldn't in fact not see his own, did that mean Djed users who knew shielding were capable of seeing them altogether? He guesstimated that ones with more skill could probably find them without a hitch, but that mostly nagged him to try something else with the shield as well. If he were able to see it, could he also in turn fuel it? He felt his reserves already in tact and willing to respond, therefore the challenge of putting out a bit of Djed through his index finger was little in turn. It was only a very small amount after all and the output wasn't going to be expensive on his part, but the act of doing so itself proved to be very rewarding once he directed Djed through that index finger and into the shield.

Almost like a conduit the said shield glimmered around his finger as the essence of his Djed flowed out in tiny amounts, the very fabrics already joining into the weave of the shield as its lifespan seemed to remain for a little bit longer now. "Interestin'... so shielders can fuel other's shields wit' t'eir own Djed." He determined this well enough plausible before Jadlin seemed to beckon him, his eyes moved from the shield to where the little brother was as his focus then moved onto the man once more. Wanted to try something did he? That led Ricky to a curious state of inquisition as he rose to his feet slowly, he took his time leisurely to reach where Jadlin stood while the sibling decided to sing one of the sea shanties he'd no doubt heard abroad. It amused Ricky all the same, when he truly thought about the meaning of the song. Yet that didn't distract him from focusing on what was to come, the enactment that Jadlin had to carry out as he prepared himself for another task of creating shields.

When Jad had finished his little singing bit, which concluded the silent laughter Ricky had as well, the awe inspiring moment arrived where Ricky got to watch Jadlin closely as the fellow shielder weaved the fabrics of his Djed together into a form of a shield over his legs. With the way the Djed just flowed and joined together it looked to be a thin but impressively made shield mostly around his ankles and feet, and with the short amount of time span put into the weave Ricky wondered just how durable the shield proved to be. Yet there was no trace of water found upon Jadlin's lower legs after he trampled about in the water for a chime, the shielded areas actually managed to remain dry as the shield held about it a gleam that remained for a short trial of ticks. It interested Ricky all the same, as he found himself not only curious about the shield but how the process of swiftly weaving it worked. From the looks of it the control of Djed was fine tuned for Jadlin, that was the only theory Ricky had in mind. Because the younger brother had learned control over Djed, both foreign and his own, that allowed him to access it quickly and in turn work with it in a faster manner, while Ricky who'd necessarily been exposed to Personal Magics recently hasn't had much to begin with.

The fact Reimancy was his first actual discipline he learned was another thing to consider as well, seeing as how Djed was controlled through a different means as it took a completely altered form. But Res was still Djed, therefore his control shouldn't have been too out of hand now. Which also explained why the fisherman happened to be having an easier time accessing his Djed here recently. "Oi'll be damned, it actually does work." He thought it through and through and while he could assume he had a mental grasp on the concept, he still needed some form of clarity before he could even assume to attempt to practice this kind of control. "Okay. So tell me more 'bout dis water effect ye got goin' on, fill me in on everyt'in 'bout it from when ye first conrol Djed to how de shield feels when yer weavin' it t'gether." He pressed for more detail on the concept, eager to learn as much as he could so that he could in turn practice it.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Watchdog

Postby Jadlin Hayes on November 28th, 2014, 10:14 am

Jad was a bit hesitant. He knew there was probably some effect caused by his Leeching ability that made his quick Shielding possible. "Brother, I'd be happy to show you this technique, as well as I understand it myself, anyway. But you ought to consider that it was taught to me specifically to help me rid myself of toxic foreign djed. Leeched djed. I don't know this for sure, I didn't really think about it before, but I was always aware of the djed that I Leeched. I felt it. Felt its strangeness"

He was hoping Ricky was getting a hint at what he was leading up to. "So, it was easy to...'grasp'...easy to expel, I think, when I absorbed it, I sort of kept it in a sort of inner djed box, apart from my own. And I was eager to be rid of it. It wasn't something I kept as a normal part of me, waiting for an emergency to have a good use for it. I got rid of it right away. Even if it was just in a puddle on the ground."

He tried to think of an analogy, "It's sort of like music...Like playing a piano. You have the left hand doing some simple basic bass bit. Over and over, the same thing, until it gets sort of set, second nature in your head. Then you actually think about the melody and play it. It still takes practice to do it, but it gets easier with time. This is sort of how the foreign djed feels. It's like the melody part. MY OWN djed is like the bass part."

He immediately disclaimed the impression Rick might be getting, "I don't mean you have to learn Leeching to learn this 'water splash' thing. But it might be part of the reason I got good at it. The way it feels to me is like I've just gotten water splashed on me, a sudden thin layer, cold and running on the surface of my skin. Then I'm just sort of letting it flow off of me. It doesn't come off in drops though. When I feel it run off me, its like it thickens... and I kind of 'wipe it off'. It seems to stay in a sheet on its own."

Jad tried to get in touch with the exact feeling of it, "It's sort of like a stream of water that runs off my fingertip, like it's only a drop. But it catches on one thing, and pulls across an open space, like a spider's web, to catch on the next thing...Like between the tree and the handle of my weapon. And then it expands to fill the space as best it can, pulling the rest of the 'water' off my hand to do it. I feel it run off, leaving my hand normally warm and dry feeling."

He paused and looked back at Ricky, "The reason that Leeching helped me learn this is that Morliss...uh...he's the guy that taught me Shielding...where was I?...oh yeah. He would let me Leech a little djed off him. Then I'd stick my hand in a pail of cold water. Then, when I pulled it back out, all cold and wet, I'd let the djed go, back to him. It was a very repetitive exercise. But it got me used to associating the feel of wetness on my hand to the feel of letting djed go from that spot."

There were several more stages he knew he needed to mention. "But it was more than just that. That was just the beginning. Then we started alternating putting my hand in the pail or not, but always giving the djed back to Morliss. This was just a safeguard to be sure that I didn't become dependent on the feel of water to have control over this expulsion."

He thought back further, trying to remember the techniques, and the right order, without letting the interruptions, the scoldings, of both him and Morliss, the beatings, likewise... and other things, divert his focus. "Then he had me shut my eyes. He'd put down two pails, one with water, one empty, and make me dunk my hand in blindfolded, and try to mentally generate the sense that I was sticking my hand in the pail with water in it. Sometimes it would be, sometimes it wouldn't. But soon, it didn't matter. I could access djed on my hand anytime. Mine OR his."

He started to smile. "It was simple speed practice after that. How fast can I feel the water? How fast can I expel the djed? Then, finally we got to where he no longer had me Leech him at all first. We'd been cutting down on it as we went. That slowed me down again, but I soon regained the speed with practice. Then again back to Leeching him. Then not. It soon all became the same feeling. That was the first key. I could just feel water on my hand, in an instant, and it simply would be djed."

He took a deep breath, actually feeling pretty good about his description. He'd never tried to explain it before. "The last part was learning to access djed from any part of my body. With the root conditioning so firmly in mind, this was really pretty easy. It all hinged on sudden feelings of water...So he started splashing buckets of water on me. Different spots, frequently, some days; not at all on others. With warning...without. All training to have the sense of being wet, but this also gave me the conditioning to pop a shield by just imagining water being splashed on me. And it could be on any spot I could imagine getting wet."

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on November 30th, 2014, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Watchdog

Postby Ricky Maze on November 30th, 2014, 8:55 am

The fact this technique had been learned specifically to help combat Leeching led Ricky to overlook the specific detail about it, and therefore the terms of this method in learning it seemed unimportant until he realized just what exactly he'd basically asked for. "Shyke... yer roi." He sighed with a shake of his head as he finally thought about what the process of learning entailed, the fact he might have to go through another Initiation likely just as painful as Reimancy (if not more) slipped his mind. Alas with the interpretation that Jadlin created as to how Djed worked sort of like a tune, Ricky began to wonder how this could more or less play in part with a training ritual similar to that of Jadlin's first. Jadlin had Leeching to help him out and although it didn't necessarily play in part as one of his favorable skills, he definitely gained a few advantages from it that gave him an edge of his own. The fact he could sap Djed and use that Djed for whatever he wanted, that itself gave him one upper hand when a bell would prove critical.

He contemplated the words Jadlin had to say and in turn reflected back to the other day, where he spent a while meditating to find himself in touch with his Djed. That really helped him find a sense of clarity and opened his mind some, and allowed him to focus on a few new plausible outlooks that could very well help him gain insight in the near future. Like right now, he connected the idea of how Jadlin described the act of creating his shield and in comparison to the fact it felt like water, and with the feeling of his own Djed sort of picked up on Ricky had a better sense of awareness about it in turn. Yet he wasn't as familiar with it as he could've been, and that was something this method of training could really do where he to attempt it. Thankfully no Leeching would be involved in it today although Ricky did wish to attempt to learn how to block that kind of magic as well, perhaps it required the act of specifically tasking the shield to block Leeching itself or something. He wasn't all to sure about it but he felt pretty confident in giving it a try sometime, for now though his focus was on the idea of training for this creation of faster shields.

"Oi'll bet its because yer not only aware but more in control o' yer Djed, yer better intact wit' it dan Oi a t' mine so yer control is finer. Crazy as it sounds, Oi'd like t' t'ink its possible. So oddly enough Oi probably can learn how t' weave shields as fast as ye can wit' some effort." This brief notion was soon backed with Jadlin's own story about how the experience was for him, the trials he'd undergone just to attempt a form of better control soon found a little clearer as Ricky pieced every explained step together. The first step was familiarization with Djed in general and establishing a mental connection between the two, harnessing a better form of control in turn as that very Djed would be distinguishable to the user. It was the same as getting used to a new shirt you weren't comfortable with or learning a new routine you'd never started before, the act of it would seem weird as it wasn't something you were familiar with or used to, but overtime the repetition built that familiarity found and in turn established a finer sense of control.

Next was a bit of a tricky loop hole Ricky found as he couldn't quite find a reasonable explanation for the two pails, having an empty bucket and a bucket filled with water seemed more or less a test than anything. At first it seemed to have something to do with the sense of touch, which seemed understandable granted Shielding seemed most easiest to do with the use of hands. There was the question of the mentality behind it though, the association as to what the pail would feel like even if its contents were empty, this had to more or less relate to the form of Jad's own Djed at the time. Seeing as how it all seemed to reflect on the act of controlling Djed before weaving it, this left Ricky to wonder if not determine the effect he happened to dwell upon the other day during his tests with the shields. He was able to make a pool of Djed surface at his skin which in turn easily wore him out fast, but the fact he could do this to try and weave the Djed into a shield on the surface of his skin made it seem plausible. So Jadlin's methods involved learning a way of finer control around the second stage, which meant he had to actually find himself in direct touch with his Djed as he worked fast to try and give it form.

"By de sound o' it ye were comparin' de feel o' yer own Djed t' water at de time, t'erefore makin' ya associate de two t'gether an'... Bah, now I'm pro'lly overt'inkin' it." He ruffled his hand through his hair a couple of times with a frown as he ground his teeth for a moment, his mind already frustrated at how this could very well be assumptions that misled him. "It seems as t'ough ye adopted de mindset dat Djed an' water felt de same, t'erefore de association between de two allowed ya t' use it as a trigger t' weave de Djed faster overtime." While it did seem plausible to think of it like that he couldn't say that was the case for sure, either way he definitely started to feel puzzled with the idea of learning this. Yet it was so similar to how his trick worked the other day, because if he thought hard enough and took a step back to look at the whole thing, it really was just a concept where Jadlin practiced control of Djed through a state of awareness.

That was something Ricky already had began to do but thankfully with the help of his younger brother, he had an inclination of how he could make it work with the whole water idea trick in mind. With the additional information on accessing Djed from any part of the body, that only confirmed the guardian's suspicions that a full body shield was possible to create and even better, it could probably be done in a short span of time with enough practice put behind it. So in a sense Ricky's ideals of Shielding being his trump card against Ignotus seemed all the more plausible, granted that he needed something the Nuit didn't know about to counter the bastard later on when the time came. "Well now... dis seems all de more interestin." He stroked at his chin several times as the beard seemed to tickle the skin a little, the motions prone to spark a generation of further thought as he contemplated what the better option was in all of this. Sure he could see about getting started now but it seemed pointless seeing as how he needed to further practice his control, the only way he would be able to do that was not only weave more shields but in turn assume a better sense of awareness with his Djed.

Sure he knew it was there and he understood how it worked, but that wasn't enough to make it respond any quicker and concentrate into finer forms of shields. "Oi've actually done a bit o' somet'in kind'a similar, see de ot'er day Oi realized dat Oi could not only manipulate Djed t'rough me hands but t'roughout me whole body if necessary. When Oi channeled more Djed to me arms Oi accessed it t' where Oi created a shield on de surface o' me hands an' wrists. Dey were both completely covered saved fer de few patches o' wholes dat took form, yet it was den Oi learned more 'bout Djed dan before an'... well let's say Oi spent a day meditatin' t' learn a lot more 'bout Djed, dat's how Oi figure havin' awareness wit' it is somehow connected. De more 'in tune' ye 're wit' yer Djed, de easier it is t' use it at whim when ye need t' access it." He shared the insight with a bit of a contemplated look on his face, his right palm turned up towards him as he looked at the hand in thought.

"Well enough o' me silly banterin'," He mused with a thoughtful sigh before he looked back to his younger brother once more, "Ye're quick wit' de shields an' yer insight 'as led me t' t'ink its possible fer me t' learn it. Leat Oi can do is try t' teach ya how t' task against ot'er t'ings besides water." He doubted he could break that habit but all the same it was worth a shot, a bend of his knees led him to lean over to pick up some pebbles scattered about once more. "Oi've an idea. Since ye're used t' generatin' shields at a whim t' block water, we'll try doin' de same wit' stone." He lifted a finger in protest should Jadlin have disagreed with the idea, earnest to see that he was heard out before the idea was shut down. "What Oi'll do is only toss dese stones at ya, not hard t' where it'll hurt but so ye'll be able t' associate t'eir feel like ye did wit' water, t'eir impact is gonna be light too so yew won't 'ave t' worry about any injury. Wit' a bit o' luck an' effort, along wit' yer sheer determination, we can pro'lly break dat ol' habit ye got an' start buildin' new ones."

"Ye'll definitely wanna remember t' task yer shields t' block earth, stone, or rock dependin' on which key word ye wanna use. Oi t'ink specifics really do matter in this event, but Oi can't say fer sure yet as Oi've not experimented wit' de t'eory me self." He already had one pebble lined up in his throwing hand as he softly tossed it up to catch it in his hand repeatedly, an interested smirk on his face as he wondered if Jadlin seemed any more convinced with the idea already. "So 're ya up fer a lil' trial an' error?" He asked as he left it up to the younger brother to decide on whether or not he wanted to go through with the idea, either way they had still learned quite a lot already just by the act of talking about Shielding.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Watchdog

Postby Jadlin Hayes on November 30th, 2014, 8:55 pm

"By de sound o' it ye were comparin' de feel o' yer own Djed t' water at de time, t'erefore makin' ya associate de two t'gether an'... Bah, now I'm pro'lly overt'inkin' it." Ricky said tentatively. He beat Jad to his disclaimer of 'overt'inkin' it', but Jad only altered his reply to include it.

"Not at all. I think that's pretty much exactly right. I suppose you could think of it more as a 'memory triggered association' though, because it really IS the memory of water splashing on me that does it." He looked pensive a moment and let a slight grimace slide across his face.

"I kind of wonder, though, if I can task it to anything else besides water. I mean, that's the complete...basis of my focus, allowing me to make it so quickly. I don't have any memories of someone splashing me with...cream..ya know." He made a face at his choice of alternative triggers, but the shrugged, deciding it was as useful a choice as any, seeing as it would be a different color and thickness, regardless of being "splash-able".

"That was the basic reason for dunking my hand. To install a real consistent memory of that feeling, and...I don't know...I guess, "Knowing" that there was djed access connected with it. Then the alternating wet and dry dunkings just allowed me to make the same connection either way, eventually. But now I'm worried that the same focus that allows me to generate it so quickly, also makes it instantly "tasked" already for water."

He looked around for no particular reason, as if he'd somehow find something that wasn't water that he could "splash" on himself. Finding nothing he still felt the day could be productive. Ricky, in the meantime, was speaking abut his own development of his ability, which also focused on "full-body" access. But his approach struck Jad as superior, in that it did not require any pre-established tasking as a trigger. Jad's was faster, there was no doubt, but Ricky's was probably far more versatile.

Jad was just about to offer Ricky a sort of partnership in applying the useful aspects of his own approach, thinking it might help Ricky generate greater speed. The fact that his older brother had already developed some alternative tasking skills just might prove to make him more able to learn the "splash" style shielding, but still maintain focus on a different target of tasking. That is he might be able to split his focus, so he could feel the water as a trigger, but still task it for fire or earth or something.

But Ricky had an idea of his own. And in this case, HE was faster. "Oi've an idea. Since ye're used t' generatin' shields at a whim t' block water, we'll try doin' de same wit' stone. What Oi'll do is only toss dese stones at ya, not hard t' where it'll hurt but so ye'll be able t' associate t'eir feel like ye did wit' water, t'eir impact is gonna be light too so yew won't 'ave t' worry about any injury. Wit' a bit o' luck an' effort, along wit' yer sheer determination, we can pro'lly break dat ol' habit ye got an' start buildin' new ones."

Jad heard him out, not needing to have Ricky stall any interruption. And he nodded his way through his big brother's reminder about tasking for earth, and stuff, before Ricky finished it. But then he realized it was more than just a reminder to NOT think about water. It was referring to the necessity of being consistent in the exact term to apply to his tasking. He decided "earth" was what had come naturally to his thoughts each time, so it was probably what would be the best choice.

He chuckled. "Well, Ricky, I was just about to offer you the same thing..." Now he laughed a few short bursts outright. "No, no,no...I don't mean I was gonna offer to throw rocks at ya. I mean I was gonna offer to give ya some aid in workin' out what useful parts of MY system I could. But ya know, quickness aside, I really think you're quite a bit further along than I am."

He straightened up and took an overly proud posture, "So from a completely selfish point of view, I accept your generous offer..." Then he sagged back to normal, with a wide grin. "...and I will let YOU throw the rocks at ME."

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on December 14th, 2014, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Watchdog

Postby Ricky Maze on December 12th, 2014, 12:34 am

"Really now?" Ricky's expression changed to one of slight surprise as Jadlin mentioned his thoughts weren't too far off, along with the explanation that the memory itself did serve as the trigger for his action. If dat be de case den its possible t' learn it 'fter all. He stroked his chin in thought for a moment, the Jadlin's briefing with the story of the memory association concluded so that the older brother provided his own two sense. In truth the concept seemed a bit farfetched but it was also something possible, that much Ricky felt certain about since he could manipulate his Djed within areas of his body.

Finally the pitch of the idea came and while Ricky expected to hear some form of refusal about it, the proposition somehow was given full ear before Jadlin had been left to consider what exactly he wanted to do. There was a tick of mirth brought out of the guardian as Jadlin confessed he had the same idea, though it was more based on the line of water focus for Ricky instead. "Sounds good t' me mate," Ricky stated with a soft chuckle in the process, "Oi'll only do rocks an' sand really, since it all be earth ye'll pro'lly pick up on how de two feel. As fer me ye dun gotta worry, Oi'm pretty sure Oi'll figure out yer water trainin method at a later date." He added as he still handled the first pebble, he waited for a bit as he watched Jadlin prepare for the tosses of rocks that would ensue, whatever the younger brother needed before he was ready, he was able to get done without any fear or worry of incoming pebbles from Ricky's direction.

When that time would finally pass Ricky would then take the first pebble he had, and lightly toss it upwards to where it would hover a few feet above them, until gravity would take its toll and pull said pebble to the ground as the intended target would be Jadlin. There wasn't any specific area targeted of course, as Ricky had terrible aim anyways, therefore the rock could've easily landed on a shoulder or brushed an arm or leg.

oocSorry for it being long overdue and short, getting back into the posting groove hasn't been easy. >.>
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Watchdog

Postby Jadlin Hayes on December 14th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Several smart remarks passed through Jad's mind as he had to adjust his position to allow the rock to strike him. But there was not really time to get them said. For himself though, it was actually an aid to his purpose to have something else to think of besides this this "tasking" Ricky had spoken of. His intent was to see if he could task this shield as quickly as he could generate it. He knew he could have it in place, but he suspected it would be ineffective against the rock.

Sure enough, his accelerated ability to envision the splash of water where the rock was sure to hit served its purpose. He could feel the shield form where he imagined the splash. But almost immediately after, before he could really focus on anything 'earth-related', he felt the impact of the rock right through it. It was not damaging, but it still stung. He grimaced. NOW it was time to give his brother some friendly ribbing, "I hope Zeltiva is never wanting for a man that can throw a rock accurately for more than a few feet, and has to rely on you."

Syna was now positioned to where Jad was suddenly dazzled, and could not tell if Ricky was scowling or grinning. But he could see his brother toying with another rock. "Yeah, it was pretty much what I expected. The shield is in place, but I pretty much automatically task it to water using my method. At least I assume it's tasked to water. I was only just starting to think of earth...rock...orienting, when the rock hit my head."

They tried a couple more, and Jad found himself having the same apparent problem. "Say, Ricky? Do you think that by the time I've got the shield formed my way, that it's already too late for me to task it to something besides water? I mean, thinking of splashed water is what gives me the focus to form it so quickly. I'm worried that I can't task it to anything else doing it this way."

Jad turned in some discouragement and gazed out at Matthew's Bay. The world went on with no concern over his petty troubles. Syna gleamed undiminished, not dulling in sympathetic gloom for his disheartened mood. The wind still blew with no slacking. Birds still trilled overhead, their calls not muted in shared depression. The waves still crashed, spray flying from the boulders in repetitive patterns, their force not waning in companionable melancholy.

Something tickled his notice. He took a moment to shake off his glum spirit and try to recognize what was attempting to capture his focus. It wasn't Syna. She hung unchanged in the sky, her path slow and steady, nearly unmoving. The wind occasionally swirled, but it triggered no inspiration. The birds seemed to be fighting to be heard over the crash...of...

The waves! It was there...What was it? Another wave crashed against a boulder far out from the waterline. The spray...the splash...the "splash"...That was it! There was earth within the splash! That could be the way of incorporating a different "tasking" while retaining his method of swift shielding!

Now Syna seemed brighter. She would not share in his gloom, but she would brighten his excitement. He directed a grin her way, and turned to spin with the wind, letting it direct his motion as he hurried back to face Ricky. He laughed with the birds, who now seemed move bright with their calls as well. "Okay, big brother, I think I've got an angle on this problem. Go ahead and give me some more tosses."

Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Watchdog

Postby Perplexity on March 19th, 2015, 6:00 pm

You have played well, but the game is at an end.

You have been bested. Beaten. Checkmate!

However, here is a consolation prize: a wealth of Experience and Lores! If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to assist you!

Player 1
XP
  • Shield | +4 EXP
    Endurance | +1 EXP
    Reimancy | +3 EXP
    Intimidation | +1 EXP
    Tactics | +3 EXP
    Shielding | +3 EXP
LORES
  • Shield: Balancing Weight In Unison With Body
    Reimancy: Minimizing Res To Maximize Combat Effectiveness
    Tactics: Assessing An Opponent’s Speed
    Shielding: Theory of Collaborative Shielding
MISCELLANEOUS
  • There was a lot I couldn't award, Ricky. I am sorry for that. Jadlin barely had any of the skill to pull most of what he did off, let alone the lore. Quite frankly, there's a lot that he just wouldn't have known and most of it isn't even possible until much higher skill levels.

Until Our Next Match,
-Perplexity, DS of Zeltiva
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous