A Button for your Thoughts (Garland)

Nivel has a friendly spar with Garland after her magic training

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Nivel on October 26th, 2014, 8:32 pm

OocI wanted to get some magical practice in there before our fight, as a result this post is longer than it has any business being. It is by no means the length I'm expecting from you or that you should expect from me (ain't no body got time for that.) The last two little paragraphs pretty much give you all you need to know.
12th day of Fall, 514 AV

Sera Grey had only recently given Nivel an Embroidery kit, but the pycon had already began playing around with it before the Patron knight could teach her how to properly use it. The mage squire didn't have much in the way of fabric and didn't really know what she would do with it so she just used her own body as a testing ground. The kit came with a selection of buttons most of which were made from carved wood but a small few were made from sea shells. Being the eccentric pycon that she was, she gravitated towards the more flashy of the buttons. Immediately choosing a shiny seashell button with a touch of purple. She picked a nice sage green thread and fed it threw the smallest needle with little effort. Tying the end together, she was ready to push the needle through her belly. It felt a little strange to have a cold metal needle enter your body but It didn't hurt like it would if she were any other creature. She grabbed her chosen button and pondered for a moment on how to actually go about sewing it in. She remembered how buttons looked on the garments the tall folk wore and quickly noticed the holes that the thread was most likely supposed to go through. It was a bit finicky sewing a button on to ones self especially with such large tools but after much trial and error she got the button on. It wasn't as secure as it should have been but it would have to do for now until she was taught the proper way.

A knock came to her door before Nivel could get another button. Sera Grey had arrived to start there usual training regiment and was happy to see that Nivel was enjoying her kit even if she was also a little disturbed at the pycons methods.
“I am glad I've inspired a love of embroidery in you, but we have other things to learn today” Grey said as she smiled underneath her rabbit shaped mask. “meet me at the training grounds as soon as you clean up your mess.”
“will do” Nivel nodded in affirmation as she quickly got to work putting all the thread and buttons she had scattered on her floor.

It was early in the mourning as usual so there wasn't too many others around, which was ideal for training in Djed. Athough it was generally hard for Nivel to tell what kind of training Grey had in mind as she usually liked to train early. Instead of starting their usual routine of meditation and stretches Grey cleared her through to speak.
“I think you have progressed fairly well in your Auristic skills, so I would like to teach you a new magical practice.”
Nivel was taken back by this new information, The pycon didn't expect to be learning a new practice so soon.
“wow really?..what kind of magic?” Nivel was a little weary but still excited.
“Shielding magic is what we will be learning today.”
Nivel had seen this type of magic in action and was very interested in how to do it. She wanted to try figuring it out on her own but decided to just wait until her patron deemed her ready.
“When do we start!” Nivel shook with anticipation.
Grey gave a slight chuckle “Don't be to eager it is still a dangerous art”
The patron knight sat down in her usual meditative position and encouraged Nivel to do the same.
“for Shielding you will need to have a calm mind to create a shield and it is likely it will take quite a bit of time..are you ready?”
Nivel nodded and Grey continued.
“you know how to control Djed so I should not have to go into that, but with shielding you must have what is called a task in mind”
“a task?”
“yes a task, you assign the shield with something you want it to guard against” Grey continued “At your level you can really only make one ward against one thing and the easiest thing is other djed, you can protect against other people or weapons but that will come later.”
Nivel nodded enthusiastically taking the information in but also wanting it over so she could get to the practically application.
“Okay let us start first with calming your mind, try to rid your mind of clutter”
This was difficult for Nivel as her brain was a junk heap of stray thoughts but she was beginning to get the hang of clearing it out.
“is your mind clear?” Grey asked when she was sure her pupil was in a more calmed state.
Nivel nodded so she continued.
“Now focus on creating your self a barrier with your mind, ask it to shield you from djed....Shields are alive and will listen to your request...you just have to be clear”
Imagining things was pretty easy for Nivel and her experience with flux allowed her to focus on her djed with relative ease. The pycon pretended they were controlling the wind that she breathed out her mouth hole, and told it with their nexus to protect them from other djed like Grey had told her. Nivels breath became an invisible fog that slowly crept along the pycons body. Using her auristic skills Sera Grey watched the progress of the shield her squire was forming. The Knight was surprised that she had caught on so fast, Nivel was still making a very poorly constructed shield but Grey had taken a great deal of time to even start the process when she was learning.

After what seemed like a great deal of time, Nivel's body was covered with her first shield. It was very inconsistent and there was many weak areas but it wasn't bad at all for a first attempt.
“very good, you seem to have a real talent for shields my little pupil”
Nivel shook her ears happily at the compliment “Thank you!”
“Well, I will let you continue your training in how ever way you see fit, I have some other things to attend too.” Grey said as she lifted herself off the ground “Oh and before I forget” The knight reached into her pocket and took out a small wallet inside was a few needles and some colourful thread. “Maybe you could practice your sewing with a few found objects” Grey said as she handed an already threaded needle to her Squire.
“Yay! This should be fun!” Nivel wagged her tails and flapped her ears in joy as she received the needle.
“Although promise not to poke anyone with that..sewing needles are not meant to harm others” Grey requested sternly as she went on her way.
The pycon shook her head rapidly to show she got the message.

Being free to roam the training grounds she decided to look for things she could sew to herself. She used Auristics to find the objects with the most interesting auras. Although most of the object were small rocks with very little too them, Although it was still good training to identify the very subtle differences in the auras. She came across a few flat pebbles that to her possessed the most liveliest of auras. She went to work awkwardly binding them to herself which was harder than the button was but not impossible. In the end she had two sewn to her legs and two others that acted like shoulder pads. Since it was hard for her to keep them on they were threaded quite a bit for security. They were relatively dull rocks but they made Nivel look anything but ordinary with them sewn into her sparkling clay body.

While looking for interesting rocks she became drawn to the aura of a young tall folk. His wasn't the most extravagant of auras but it still had a certain life to it that called to the pycon. She walked over to what she assumed was a squire, he seemed distracted by what ever training he was in the process of doing so Nivel went unnoticed.
“Hello fellow Squire” She said in a tone that was loud enough to hear but soft enough not to cause alarm. “you have a pleasant aura about you...would you like to spar with me?”
Her clawed tails swaying ever so slightly as she spoke and the mourning sun made the slight emerald sparkle to her skin more noticeable giving her a more alien appearance than usual.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Garland on October 26th, 2014, 11:44 pm

Garland had been practicing his stances for the better part of the morning, both with and without the shield. How quickly one could switch one-handed and two-handed stances could change the tide of battle quite quickly. He put his left foot up front with his right foot on a 45° angle to give him better footing, he had shield up, and then he swung his sword in the air, and used the momentum to grab his sword with two hands and hopped back from his imaginary attacker.

He flexed his fingers for a bit, trying to loosen his grip for a much more flexible swing. Switching between stance was easy enough, but doing them quickly and in rhythm to one's attacks were very difficult. He would either stumble his weapon or footing or be open in during his attacks, he had been doing this for the most of the morning, he enjoyed the challenge of being flexible in a fight. He had seen street performers dance, and he wanted to employ that dance in his fights, but it was not as easy as dancing normally. There would be a constant threat that if you made a mistake, you would pay dearly for it, and there would be no rehearsals for the fight, he would need to learn on the fly. He and his sword were not made for finesse, but the acrobatic skill would be very useful to avoid and counter any attacks aimed at him

He looked around to see the person talking, the only other person he saw were a few squires and knights, just starting their training. That was when he looked down.

He bent down and looked at the tiny Pycon. "Hello. You're adorable." He looked at the button on her chest and the stones for shoulder pads she was using, it was adorable but strange. "Hmmm..." He poked Nivel a few times, just to make sure he wasn't hallucinating again.
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Nivel on October 27th, 2014, 5:45 am

OccShort but I'm tired and I can't think of anything
“Uh thank you” Nivel replied to the Tall Folk even if his comment was a tad patronizing. While she liked the occasional compliment, it wasn't the response she was expecting and she was a tad confused. Although Nivel's contusion turned to alarm and disgust when he started poking at her with his large fingers.

“Excuse me.. what do you think you're doing!” Nivel's ears and tails became erect like a hissing cat “I asked you a question and you start poking me!? If you didn't want to fight me you could have just said so.”
Nivel was beginning to understand why the other two pycon squires were so cranky, People just didn't take pycons seriously. Sure Nivel liked to have fun but she was still a squire who had the same dedication as any other...most of the time.

While some might want to take revenge or teach the fool some manners, Nivel just began to walk away. She didn't always act mature but she wasn't the vengeful type, she just didn't want to be where she wasn't welcome. However she was a bit disappointed that the aura she found herself drawn to belonged to such a such a mean person.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Garland on October 27th, 2014, 6:15 am

Now he offended the only Pycon that was sorta nice to him. "Look. I'm sorry, if you wanted to spar. I would be happy to fight!" He said and followed her. "Come on... My name's Garland, I would like to at least know the name of my fellow squire."

Right.... The only Pycon that hasn't pounded me, is now mad at me... He thought and stepped over her. "Hey, I want to say sorry, you seem to like a pretty strong mage, I've seen you a few times here and there but I haven't met you in person. Sorry if I offended you."

oocshort post because in school and no idea what to write.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nivel on October 29th, 2014, 5:33 am

After hearing the squires sincere apology Nivel stopped walking away and turned back around to look at the squire.
“I accept your apology” she said with a quick nod of her tiny head. “I'm sorry too, I have been having a bit of trouble being taken seriously as squire” she paused and tilted her head slightly to the side “I think it has something to do with my height”
She failed to realize that her childish behaviour and strange activities were largely what made people not take her very seriously, although prejudice for her race was still definitely a factor. It seemed like every opponent that was arranged for her was shocked that pycons could even be squires and a lot of them even out right refused to fight her, some even laughed at her. Nivel's resolve stayed strong and she kept asking people to fight, taking quick glimpses at peoples auras usually led her in the right direction.

She was used to people knowing that she was a mage squire and not a regular one, but she still hadn't any clue why. He said that he though she was a strong mage but her magic skills weren't even noticeable. She wasn't conjuring fire or shifting forms, the only thing most people saw was her meditating a lot. Maybe he was referring to her fighting skills but even then she wasn't very powerful, she was only ever able to defeat Bitt and he wasn't known for being particularly powerful. She decided it was best not to over think it and just take the compliment.

“Thank you..you seem strong too” the pycon blurted out feeling the need to return a compliment with a compliment. She really honestly hadn't noticed him until today, she was far to busy ether meditating, saving snails from being squished and jumping off high places. She really only wanted to fight him because she had a good feeling after looking at his aura, not because of his reputation or how he looked. He actually didn't look that different form any other tall folk squire that came around, maybe a little shorter but to a pycon that didn’t mean much.

“Oh my name is Nivel by the way, almost completely forgot to introduce myself” She took another look at his aura...and still couldn't figure out what made this tall folk so special in her eyes. There wasn't much to it but at the same time there was everything to it...or maybe she was just imagining things or not imagining things enough. She was confused.

She paused again briefly as she noticed that the shield she had made only moments before was almost completely deteriorated during the course of their brief conversation. She quickly realized that there wasn't really any point in boosting it back to life. Considering how long it took to create the shield it would be gone long before she could replenish it, and it would just be plain rude to start meditating in the middle of the conversation.

“oh Sorry! just noticed my shield was fading” She paused “it's a Mage thing” she explained realizing that he would have no idea what she was talking about.

“so..are you ready to spar?” she asked eagerly after realizing she had dragged this conversation on far too long. She waited for him to ready himself for her attack. “okay! ready set GO!”

She quickly loosened the threads holding the two small pebbles on each of her shoulders by shifting the clay in her body. In moments she had a pebble in each hand and quickly spun her body like a turbine, Hurling the tiny pebbles and the stray threads in the air. The rocks weren't meant to really hit him and if they did they were unlikely to really hurt, this was all just a diversion for the Nivel's real course of action.

Nivel lacked the squirrel pycon's climbing ability so all her attacks would have to be fairly close to the ground which wasn't a safe place for a tiny little thing like her. She would have to use her agility and wits to fight an opponent with feet bigger than her whole body. She ran as fast as she could through Garlands legs hoping her little trick was enough to deceive him. If she was successful she would deliver tiny whip lashes with her long tentacle arms to the weak points on his legs that his armour failed to cover. The attacks would sting but probably wouldn't do much else. She would have to ready a much larger attack if she was to best her opponent.

Last edited by Nivel on November 20th, 2014, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Garland on October 29th, 2014, 6:17 am

Nivel... Cute name... He thought, he had seen Ball fight before, during the Shield games last summer, he was not going to underestimate her.

He knew that Nivel was strong, or at least good at the arcane arts, mostly because all the time meditating had to do something with her focus, and that possibly meant she had good concentration and therefore skill... Or she could have learned how to sleep while meditating.

"I'm ready." He said, getting into position, clearly trying to keep his guard low. He had thought she would attack low, but when the pebbles flew up towards him, he had raised his shield, blocking the few stray projectiles that were flying towards his face.

He had looked down, surprised that the tiny Pycon was gone, that is until he felt a strong sting on the back of his knee, forcing him to stumble and kneel. He quickly recovered and hopped back to avoid her whip like tentacles. He looked at her arms, it didn't look like she had long or sharp nails... Claws? Anyway, she could get into his armor, but not climb up to attack him directly, unless he attacked low or if she used his weapons as a bridge up to his face.

He ran back to her after he got his bearings, and then he bent low and sweep-kicked the dirt and if lucky, Nivel. He had little in ways of fighting such a small creature, stories about giants killing thousands of tiny people and razing cities seemed much more unrealistic now.

If his attacked worked, he would pull back and think of something else to do against her.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nivel on October 30th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Garland came charging at Nivel, his low sweeping kick was just narrowly avoided. If it weren't for his heavy armour she was sure he would have sent her flying. A few pebbles and dust were thrown in her her direction and she quickly grabbed a few extra tiny ones to replenish her stock. She pushed them into herself quickly along with her sewing needle and thread. “wait! I still have a sewing needle inside of me” she yelled “Sorry I need to pause to take it out”

having such a pointy object inside of her was just careless, it could have ruptured her nexus if she was ever stepped on. She placed it next to a training dummy and ran back.
“sorry! that wasn't the least bit safe...Gotta remember to check what I have stored inside of me before I fight” The pycon nodded to her own statement.

“okay lets get back to business” Nivel said as she pulled another a pebble from her body. She didn't want to throw near his head like she was sure she did before so she aimed for his torso. It was very likely to not land anywhere near there but it was just a distraction. It occurred to her that she might need to think of other strategies but none were coming to mind.

She shifted her clay from her ears slowly as she charged forward again and they moved to her arms to beef them up. They weren't really hands any more they were more like mallets, bulky and round.
She stretched out one of her claw tails to slash at his right leg. It was a feint however and wouldn't hit him but if he took he bait it would draw the attention away from her assault to the other leg. She intended to swipe at his left leg with her mallet hand in order to throw him off balance. Since she couldn't climb she would have to make feeble attempts at getting him to her level. She had hoped this maneuver would get him to trip and fall over so she could get a few hits in while he was vulnerable.

She knew it was risky to go directly for his feet but she didn't think it's what the squire would expect, you gotta keep your opponents guessing after all.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Garland on October 31st, 2014, 4:09 am

He was about to follow up on his sweeping attack with a quick stab, but she had called a time out before he could do anything. He relaxed a bit, and controlled the bloodlust he kept getting when fighting, he backed off a bit and let the tiny Pycon take out the needle stuck in her. "Doesn't that hurt?" He asked before going back into the fight.

He took up stances, and waited for her to do the first move. Again with the pebbles, he blocked it easily, he saw that she had made her hands larger, like small hammers of punching, what? Anyway she tried to feint with her tail, but she should have done that before changing her fists, it was obvious she was using her tail as a distraction while she would attack with her giant hammer-hands.

He dodged the hands easily enough, and he would counter with a swift punt, possibly send her a few feet away from him, for time to think of a new strategy, he had learned the fighting without a plan would eventually get you killed, so he always stalled for time during fights, one of the main reasons he survived his head-on, bloodthristy attitude whenever he fights, he mostly tries to get his mind to work on the plans, and his body to give the mind time to think. He was in no way, a master tactician, but he had hopped he could at least make out simple plans to beat a 4-inch clay thing.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nivel on November 11th, 2014, 2:45 am

OocSorry I took so long to repy, I was busy with homework
Nivel saw the giant foot coming for her but failed to avoid it in time. It slammed into her and sent her tumbling like a rag doll for a few feet. She had a slight indent in her torso from Garlands shoe, that became visible as she quickly picked herself up. The pycon was in pain, it wasn't a feeling she was used to but the point of impact definitely stung a bit.
Nivel fell to all fours and hissed “The needle didn't hurt ..But that did!”
Rounded spikes shot out of her back all the way to the top of her head and her hands and feet became more claw like in appearance. With out hesitation she bounded at him, making high pitched alien sounding battle cries. As she ran she grew out her tails and did her best to grab on to Garlands left knee plate. She hadn't climbed very much but she was determined to try. If she succeed she would send out her other tail to grab onto the tall folks belt and pull herself onto to his back and try and attack the open areas under his arm pits and behind his knees. Especially behind the knees as she wanted him to fall like an axed tree.

If this failed the climb she would attack any open area he had in his armour that she could reach. Her ears would lengthen into pointed tentacles and she would attack with 6 appendages all attempting to strike in different areas. While this would make her attacks harder to dodge it would also affect her aim, since controlling that many moving parts takes skill in pyken that Nivel simply didn't have.

She was really only thinking of attacking and dodging and cared little for strategy. The pycon just did what came to mind at the time and let her decisions come to her. If she were to have some semblance of strategy in mind it would most likely “be a good offence is a good defence”. This strategy was her default when she ether ran out of ideas or stopped caring about formalities and just let the flow of the battle dictate what her next move was.

The odd sounds that Nivel was making was catching the attention of some of the squires and knights that were around training. They seemed to stop what they were doing to direct quizzical glances at the spectacle before them not really knowing what was going on.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Garland on November 11th, 2014, 8:38 am

The oddly pitched battle cry stunned Garland, in fact it might have even done something worse if she kept it on long enough, he had heard that ruptured eardrums were not very fun. Though the person he was talking to couldn't hear back...

With that, Nivel had started climbing up his leg, and then grabbing on to his belt, flinging herself up to him, like some sort of acrobat reaching the top of her act. She had started attacking his armpits and his knee, she was trying her best to make him fall, and it was working. There was the pain in both areas, but he was somewhat ticklish in his armpits, which mad him giggle and grunt in pain at the same time.

He fell down onto his knee, while trying to reach around, to grab the Pycon and throw her off his body, he needed to remember that Pycons are very hard to fight if they latch on to you in a fight. Something he will learn in later date with Archalist. He groaned as she brought him down to his knees, a bit embarrassing since his opponent is like 4 inches tall, though he hasn't underestimated her at all since this fight started.

He was going to give it his all and she better give her all as well, he might feel a bit upset if she wasn't fighting seriously. He figured that she could move better than him, with her being all latched on his back and attacking. He forced himself to roll on his back to try and get her off, if this worked he would recover and get ready for the next part of their fight. If it didn't, he needed to think about something else, but if she crawled her way to his front, he might be able to catch her and throw her off of him.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next