Flashback Peas in a Pod. (Nellie Hawkins)

Nellie and Firenze cause a little mischief.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Peas in a Pod. (Nellie Hawkins)

Postby Firenze on November 3rd, 2014, 12:42 am

40 Winter 513 AV

Laying back on her bed, Firenze looked at the ceiling, a spider crawling across it. She watched it make it's way towards it's mass of webs in the corner of the room. Sighing heavily and looking around the room, she tucked her arms under her head, feet wiggling to an unheard beat. She didn't know what she wanted to do today. She'd gotten her chores done and didn't really feel like trying to study her letters and numbers. She looked as old as the 12 and 13 year olds, but her 3rd birthday was in a few months. It seemed like ages away though.

It wasn't exactly her "birthday" more like her "arrived at Sunset Quarters" day. She didn't know when she'd really been born, but she wanted to fit in with the rest of the kids, so she made her own birthday, figuring that the day Jillene told her that they brought her in would be better then nothing. You didn't really do anything for your birthday, you just felt... more special.

Restless, she swung her feet and legs over the edge of the bed and pushed herself up. Looking over she watched the fat flakes of snow steadily drift by the window. It was coming down heavy and the snow looked wet, not the fun fluffy stuff that you could pick up and toss around with ease. It had been falling all day and didn't appear that it was going to stop soon. Someone walked in while she watched out the window, not really paying attention to whoever it was, with children coming and going constantly. The person entering was moving around and making quite a bit of noise, her curiosity getting the better of her she looked over.

A dark haired girl was arranging some clothing and things on a bunk. Fire didn't remember seeing her before, Maybe she's new? She appeared to be in her late teens. She had dark hair and eyes and a quiet beauty to her features. Standing up, Fire sauntered slowly over to the end of the bunk and watched the girl silently, trying to figure out what she was doing. Midway through sorting her things, the girl looked up and stared as Fire. Staring back for a few ticks, she shoved her hand at the girl, "I'm Firenze! What's your name? Do you want to hang out? Are you new here? It's snowing like crazy! Do you want to build a snowman?" Smiling, excited at the idea of making a new friend.

OOC InfoWord Count = 420
Last edited by Firenze on July 22nd, 2018, 7:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nellie Hawkins on November 17th, 2014, 1:03 am

Mixed feelings accompanied Nellie into her sleeping quarters at the orphanage. She'd finally accepted that it was her only option; since her parents' deaths, she'd done her best to survive alone on the streets, but the weather had taken an expected but still inconvenient turn for the worse. So, with some trepidation and no small amount of humility, she'd come begging to Jillene.

The blind woman had taken her in, of course, but made it very clear her stay would be punctuated with work, rules, and expectations. Nellie had bristled under the other woman's blunt words, stupidly assuming that because she had no sight, Jillene would be oblivious to the reaction Nellie was giving her.

Wrong.

The resultant upbraiding and dose of brutal honesty had put the girl in a less-than-pleasant mood; her tragedy had won her no pity-points, had failed entirely to smooth her way. Nellie left her meeting with Jillene on the verge of tears, angry or sad, she couldn't have said. Either way, she was in no mood to make new friends, despite seeing another girl settled comfortably on one of the beds. Stubbornly, Nellie avoided greeting her roommate and set about resolutely sorting through her pitifully few belongings without a word of greeting, even when she sensed the other girl had risen to greet her, coming to stand at her side.

Anger gave way to a horrible feeling of self-pity while she handled the meager items she'd been given. Charity and basic necessity went hand in hand, and Jillene had provided her with a scant package of toiletries. As Nellie rifled through them she noted a comb and brush, basic soap and a thick blanket, which she immediately began shaking out. Despite the knowledge that the blanket was on loan only, Nellie couldn't help but think how wonderful it would be, for the first time in more days than she cared to count, to curl up beneath it, warm, for a safe night's sleep.

It was this prospect that lightened her mood enough to force a polite, if reluctant response to the barrage of questions that suddenly peppered the air around her.

Transferring the blanket to one hand, she reached out and quickly grasped the other girl's hand, releasing it nearly as quickly. In a subdued tone, she managed to answer some of the questions in the air. "m'Nellie." She gestured at the belongings spread over the bed as though the next answer should be obvious, "An' yes, I'm new 'ere. Ah - I don't..." Here she trailed off, unsure of how to continue and feeling defensive because of it. "I don't want ta build a snowman. Its cold out there."

Her words sounded gruff, even to her own ears, but what was she supposed to say? 'No, I don't want to build a snowman. My home is gone, my parents are dead, and all I really want to do is crawl into this bed and pretend that the past season has just been a bad dream!'

It was far too personal to get into and so she hid behind her silence, feeling cowardly and unfair, afraid that if she said much more, everything would come spilling out, along with the tears that seemed to always hover just under the surface. Instead, she avoided the other girl's gaze and continued fussing with the blanket, smoothing it over the foot of the bed.
Nellie Hawkins
Player

Words: 125691
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2014, 11:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Firenze on November 17th, 2014, 9:44 am

40 Winter 513 AV

As the girl grabbed her hand and shook it quickly, Firenze smiled widely, excited at the prospect of making a new friend. Watching the girl for a moment, Fire noticed as her eyes appeared to become saddened and almost forlorn. After dropping her hand, Firenze continued to stand at the end of the bed watching the girl intensely fix the blanket on the bed.

She felt like that she had been at the orphanage forever, ever since she could remember any way, and hadn't made many friends. They treated her almost as an outsider. They had their groups and clique's, and she wasn't welcome to join them. Most of the time she spent doing her chores, or struggling through trying to learn her letters. She had gotten quite a few knuckle raps and extra chores because her attention tended to wan quite easily.

Of course Firenze didn't mind doing the extra chores, it helped her to get away from the taunts of the other kids. So, seeing this new girl, on a day that seemed so dreary, she was hoping she wouldn't know that Fire was more of an outsider and would like to become friends with her. Atleast, that was her hope anyway.

After seeing the sadness in her eyes, and the distance in the girls actions, Fire debated for a moment on what she should do. Should I give her a hug? I would think that would make me feel better? But... what if she thinks she's getting attacked and stabs me or hits me... Pondering a few moments longer, Firenze's chewed on the bottom of her lip, Presents! Everyone loves presents!! Her epiphany had Fire's feet moving her toward her bunk.

She didn't have many things but she did have a few. Unfortunately, Firenze had a bad habit of collecting things that were shiny, even if she came across them and they didn't belong to her. Searching through her things, Firenze's had gotten to the bottom of the chest. She shuffled around some clothes that were handed down to her, and will probably continue to be handed down after her, some old boots and an extra blanket and found what she was looking for. Hidden among the small stash of shiny objects was something that had brought her happiness when she found it.

Picking it up she strolled back over to the other girl, excitement running through her, as Fire wanted to cheer the girl up. "Excuse me, but I think this might help you feel better," Firenze beamed at the girl and stuck her arm out toward her, Fire's other arm behind her back, feet rocking back and forth on the floor to see the reaction on the girls face. Uncurling her fingers, she revealed a bright shiny brass button. The top of it smooth and round, the dim light in the room reflecting off of it.

OOC InfoWord Count = 481

Brass Button:
Last edited by Firenze on July 22nd, 2018, 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nellie Hawkins on November 18th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Sensing the girl, rather than watching her, Nellie felt relieved and a bit disappointed when she abruptly left the bedside. Inexplicably, Nellie found she missed the girls cheerful chatter. If nothing else, it provided a focus for her own unsettled emotions. She'd barely had time to register the surprising disappointment when the girl reappeared, beaming with uncomplicated good humor, arm outstretched toward Nellie.

Despite herself and her instinctive need for distance, Nellie leaned forward curiously. Dark eyes peered into the open hand at the small and dully glinting object. Flicking a glance back to the girls face, she registered nothing but an open and honest friendliness in the golden gaze. It was a rare thing to find in Sunberth, even among the children and the sight of it gave Nellie pause. Was the girl simple? Was that why she was in the orphanage? The questions popped instantly into her mind, quickly followed by a third, more pertinent one.

Did it matter?

On impulse, Nellie reached for the button, accepting the other girl's 'gift' and offering the brightest smile she could conjure in return. It wasn't much of one, no question, and she tried to coax her tongue into polite conversation, hoping that Firenze wouldn't notice her heart wasn't really in it.

"Pretty. Ah," her mind blanked; what should she say? One word wasn't exactly a conversation, and Nellie suddenly longed for a simple conversation, something that wouldn't instantly call to mind the tragedy of the past days. Searching hard for something relevant, she asked the first question that popped into her head. "Did it fall off yer coat?"

She rolled the button in her hand, watching its uneven path across her palm. It was a well-worn thing, its metal surface scratched and dented with use, surely not worth even its nominal weight in mizas. But a curious thing happened the longer she inspected it; the button grew a value of its own, as a gift from one orphan to another, and Nellie discovered that it did, strangely, make her feel a bit better.

Her eyes began to sting again as fresh tears threatened. Hoping to stave them off, she hurriedly opened her mouth again. "Have ya been 'ere long?" She bit her lip almost immediately; was that too personal? But no - Firenze had asked her the same thing first off. After a few seconds' pause, she tried again. "It seems - quiet 'ere. Is it always so quiet?"

There. That was safe. Walking up to the orphanage, Nellie had been too absorbed in her own troubles to pay much attention, but she knew the orphanage was always filled nearly to bursting with unfortunate kids and teens and even some adults who had nowhere else to go. They seemed strangely absent at the moment.
Nellie Hawkins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Firenze on November 19th, 2014, 9:52 pm

40 Winter 513 AV

Nellie took the button from Firenze's hand, and Fire was quite pleased with herself. She'd never really given anyone a present before, but she figured that she had more then enough shiny things stashed away that one button missing couldn't hurt. It was one of her more particularly favorite buttons. If she huffed on it hard enough and rubbed it down with her sleeve, holding it up to the light it had a nice golden shine to it, despite all it's flaws.

The button always reminded Firenze of herself in some ways. It was the only button she'd found, the other's like it were sure to be sitting on someones fine frock. It was abandoned and alone sitting near the corner of the Orphanage building. It had caught her eye when she was coming in one day, it was covered in filth and hard to see, but when she spotted it, the light had bounced of it, glinting just enough for Firenze to see.

She felt herself being the button for a moment; dingy, scratched, forgotten... but still refusing to let all that from keeping it from shinning and reflecting the light in it's golden hues. A calm sadness overcame her for a moment as the girl took the button. Fire felt as though she were giving a piece of herself away. She hoped for a moment that it was going into good hands. She hand't really put much prior thought into her action before she'd actually done it, and now that she had, she worried some that the girl would turn out to be like the rest of the children.

"Pretty. Ah," the other girl spoke as Fire dropped her hand back to her side, "Did it fall off yer coat?" Pondering for a moment, Fire wondered if she should tell the girl how she felt about the button, and if she would care. She desperately wanting to make a new friend, a new girl in the Orphanage was the best hope Fire could've asked for. Sitting on one of the other children's bunks behind her, Firenze replied, "Actually, no. I found it in the street outside the Orphanage. It was in the gutter and I liked that it was still shining even though it was covered in dirt and grime..." A slow deep sigh and Firenze gave up a little of how she was feeling, in-spite of just meeting the girl, "kinda reminded me of... being an orphan sometimes."

Looking down at her hands, she fiddled with them in her lap, embarrassed a little that she'd shared so much with a girl she didn't even know that well. "Have ya been 'ere long?" Nellie asked. Now that was a question Fire didn't mind answering, "Oh yeah! For like... my whole life! I mean... it's not been like foreeever, just long as I can remember though." Scooting back a little farther onto the bunk, she tucked her legs up, crossing them and resting her elbows on her knees. "I don't mind living here, it's actually quite nice. Just make sure you listen to what Ms. Jillene says... otherwise you get in big trouble. The other kids can kind of be mean sometimes, but for the most part it's not so bad!"

"It seems - quite'ere. Is it always so quiet?" Firenze pondered this for a moment. Most of the kids were probably outside playing in the fresh snow, working on their chores or schoolwork. She didn't particularly like schoolwork, it was difficult for her, so she was behind everyone else. She'd already cleaned the floors in the dinning area and wiped all the tables down, like she was supposed to, so her chores had been done for the day. It was still rather early in the evening so the children wouldn't be coming in to prepare themselves for bed quite yet. "Not really, but it's the first snow of the year, so most of the other children are probably busy playing or working on their after school work," shifting a little, she put her head in her hands, her elbows still on her knees, "I don't really like school work. I think they make it hard on purpose. I guess I just don't get why you have to learn about squiggles on a paper when you could just talk to someone to get to know them, or to learn something?"

A smile formed on Firenze's lips as she thought about playing in the fields near by the Orphanage, trying to catch the little mice that would find food there, or collecting flowers and trying to make them into hats. "I prefer to be outside most of the time, there's a lot more to explore. It's okay being inside too though, you can pretend that you're in a dungeon and trying to find your way out, or that you're locked in a tower and a shining knight from Syliras has come to rescue your from nasty fire throwing Zith's that have locked you up there and want to eat you and..." Fire trailed off as her imagination started running wild. Her arms stopped in the motions that she was making while trying to describe the scary story. Laughing hard from her belly, she clutched it, a broad grin across her face, "Sorry if I'm scaring you, my imagination can run away with me sometimes." Still giggling she watched the girl to see how she had responded to her crazy weaving of stories.

Others | Firenze | Thoughts

OOC InfoWord Count = 911
Last edited by Firenze on July 22nd, 2018, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nellie Hawkins on November 20th, 2014, 1:11 am

Firenze's face sobered a bit as she relayed the story of the button. The thoughtful words and tone surprised Nellie, and she considered the girl again, revising her initial opinion. Her new roommate might be excited and energetic, but she was apparently not simple minded. Nellie was oddly touched by the comparison the girl drew between the grimy, battered button and the orphans in residence. The sentiment behind the gift endeared it to her even more.

She tucked the button safely into her pack, nestling it next to her other treasured possessions: an old pestle that had belonged to her father and two melted glass chunks that she'd scavenged from the charred mess of her father's lab. Thoughtfully, her finger traced the uneven ridges, smoothed by heat but no longer anything resembling a familiar shape. On impulse, she withdrew one of the baubles, closing it into her palm as she listened to Firenze's excited chatter.

Unexpectedly, Nellie felt the faintest stirrings of protective anger towards the unknown orphans who 'could be kind of mean sometimes' to someone as friendly and open as Firenze. The emotion surprised her, but also helped distract her from her sadness, and she offered Firenze an understanding grimace. She'd found some stuff incredibly boring to learn, too, much to her parents' dismay; other subjects, the ones her parents had seemed determined not to teach her, had been sources of endless fascination. The clockwork mechanisms her mother had always tinkered with had been her favorite forbidden hobby.

But she'd lost the means to tinker with gears and springs when she'd lost her parents. Nellie sighed despondently, though Firenze seemed not to notice. The younger girl had launched into an energetic bout of chatter. Clearly her imagination was running away with her as she detailed dark dungeons, soaring towers, Knights and ravaging Zith all in the space of a few ticks. Arms flew out wide, adding dramatic punctuation to her words until she gave up entirely, dissolving into hearty laughter.

Her merriment was contagious and even Nellie, in her doldrums, couldn't help but join in. The laughter provided the release of emotion that she'd been trying desperately to stem earlier, and she felt a tightness she'd barely noticed leaving her shoulders. Her laughter lasted longer than her new friend's and, for a moment, bordered on hysterical as she allowed emotion to override her tight control.

Firenze was speaking again, apologizing for her wild imaginings. Nellie met her eyes with as much sincerity as she could muster and shook her head, still chuckling. "Its no problem; I 'aven't laughed like that in awhile." She couldn't imagine why someone as seemingly amusing and fun as Firenze would have any difficulty getting along with the other orphans. Wanting to return the girl's friendly attitude, Nellie impulsively stretched her hand out, palm up, revealing the chunk of fire-scarred glass she'd been holding.

"Here," she offered the other girl awkwardly. "In place of the button. Its not worth anythin', I don't think," her tone was apologetic. Like the button for Firenze, the glass could be considered a representation of Nellie. It had started life as something a bit delicate, probably a glass flask or jar; flames had melted it, morphed it into something new and different. But she didn't say any of this, holding her gift out silently, feeling more awkward by the tick. As she stared at the humble object, her face went pink; it was less impressive, even, than the button Firenze had given her.

At first glance, the burned chunk of glass was an odd item bearing no resemblance to anything useful. Nellie couldn't be certain, of course, but the darkened material had probably been one of her father's many philtering tools; destroyed when his lab had exploded. It had been melted, corrupted by smoke and flame and now shone dully in the light, its surface ridged and wavering in unexpected ways.

Nellie had another, a similar mass of mystery, at the bottom of her pack. She'd taken them from the charred and ruined lab intending to sell them for whatever coin or food she could get. In the end, she'd been unable to do so; no one was interested in buying the sad and scarred remnants of her former life. Nellie hoped that Firenze would find some value in the glass.

(oocImage)
Nellie Hawkins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Firenze on November 20th, 2014, 9:38 pm

40 Winter 513 AV

"Its no problem; I 'aven't laughed like that in awhile." Nellie told her as she put her hand out toward Firenze. Confused slightly, she didn't understand what the girl was doing for a moment and then it dawned on her; the girl was giving her a present!

Peeking over the top of Nellie's fingers into her hand, Fire saw the dark shiny object, and gingerly picked it up as if it were the most precious thing in the world. Fire had only received a few presents before in her life, but this was by far the best thing she'd ever received. Happiness spilling over into a giant grin that was plastered on her face, Fire squealed with delight.

Dashing over to the nearest window she held it up and watched as the cloud covered light danced through the dark milky surface. Light refracting in faded shades of color over her face, her eyes wide in amazement. "This is the best gift ever!" Turning the shiny piece of glass, she let the light dance on it's dark surface, amazed at how the colors fluctuated and changed.

Turning her head back toward Nellie, the piece still held up between her fingers, a grin still plastered on her face. Firenze debated for a moment if she should give the girl a hug. She wanted to really bad, but she didn't know if it would be okay or how the girl would feel about it. She'd learned early that most people weren't a fan of hugs from strange people. Although Fire wasn't strange per se, she was definitely different than most people in SunBerth.

She tried not to let the thought of bad people roving around town burst her bubble while she was hiding out in the fields, or pouncing around the edge of the forest. Fire was still leery of course, never actually ever going in the forest. She knew that she shouldn't go where people could actually see her or where there might be the potential to get caught while she was in cub form. Sometimes, it was nice to just stretch out in the sun and let it warm her skin, or play through cool little puddles of water, or run through dew dusted fields.

Her mind returning to the present after a short ticks of a day dream, she walked over to Nellie, "Really. Thank you very much. I know you might not have much. Most kids in this place don't, more so the new ones that haven't been here long," tears welled up in Fire's eyes, her heart going out to the girl who'd just arrived but was one of the very few people she'd met thus far in her life with such a kind heart, "I promise, I'll always keep this with me no matter what. I want it to show our friendship, if you want to be friends that is?" She looked up hopefully at Nellie, studying her face.

OOC InfoWord Count = 492
Last edited by Firenze on July 22nd, 2018, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nellie Hawkins on November 25th, 2014, 4:37 am

The other girl's obvious excitement was gratifying; Nelile had been worried that her gift might not be appreciated, but it seemed those concerns were in vain. As she watched Firenze admiring the lump of glass, she couldn't help but smile slightly. It made her feel a bit better to know that the wreckage she'd sifted through had brought someone happiness, at least in a small measure. Without stopping to consider her words, and ignoring the hanging question, she began instead to tell Firenze about the glass she now held.

"I found that," she offered the words softly, so that they barely carried to the window where Firenze stood. "After my parents - died - I found that piece of glass. An' another one, I 'ave another one just like it."

She paused, absently searching again in her pack, looking for the object in question. After a few ticks, she located it, pulling the hard and oddly formed mass from its hiding place. Nellie held it loosely in her hand, staring down at it absently, unseeing.

"My father made - well, I dunno what. But he had a lab near our house. It burned. Exploded. Imploded? I don't know what 'appened," her voice had taken on the sound of a little girl lost, and Nellie winced at the sound of it. Willing away the quaver that threatened to overcome her, she continued, almost desperate to get the story out. But she couldn't raise her eyes, and so she spoke more to the glass in her hand than the girl at the window.

"They were inside, my parents, in th' lab. I didn't get there in time. I should've been there," her voice broke, quiet anguish forcing her into silence. Unnoticed, tears welled in her eyes once more, and Nellie sank back into the painful memory, seeing anew the flames as they climbed into the sky, hungrily consuming the pillars of her world.

So real was the memory, the surge of emotions flooding through her, that Nellie could almost smell again the acrid scent of hot ash as it floated to her on the air. She could feel the press of bodies against hers, neighbors who had come to bear unflinching and obscene witness to the tragedy as it unfolded. There were no sobs now, as then, just quiet misery and shock overtaking her once more, until a splash of wetness on the glass in her hand yanked her back to the present.

Almost angrily, Nellie dashed the tears away; she'd been fighting them for what seemed like ages. It felt childish, immature to waste time in tears, wishing for nothing more than her mother's comforting arms to soothe the pain away. Taking a chime to collect herself, she continued speaking, this time in a voice devoid of emotion, almost cold.

"My parents died in that fire. I went back, after, when th' ash had cooled an' I could touch it. It'd already been picked over. There was probably nothin' ta take in th' first place. Th' glass was all I found. An' my father's pestle." She finished the story without speaking, both relieved to have it told and angry to have told it. Eyes flashing, she raised them to the other girl's. locking stares with her across the room.

"Its worth nothing, that glass. Its a memory, that's all," she devalued the gift almost challengingly, as if daring the other girl to disagree. Abruptly, Nellie's face softened, as she returned to the girl's earlier question. "I don't know if I can be anyone's friend right now," the admission came quietly.

Even in her sorrow, she recognized that Firenze had done nothing to deserve her anger. The girl had done nothing but stand there when Nellie had finally let down the hastily erected walls around her feelings. A shrug was her only apology, however; her own sadness and anger were still too new for her to be gentle with someone else's feelings.
Nellie Hawkins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Firenze on November 26th, 2014, 4:15 am

40 Winter 513 AV

Her eyes on Nellie as she told her story, she could tell the wounds were still fresh as tears sprung in the girls eyes. She wiped at them and after a few chimes continued her story for Firenze. "My parents died in that fire. I went back, after, when th' ash had cooled an' I could touch it. It'd already been picked over. There was probably nothin' ta take in th' first place. Th' glass was all I found. An' my father's pestle."

As Nellie told her this, the glass piece that she held in her hand became all that more precious. More than any item that she had owned before. It was a piece of Nellie... a piece of the memory of her mother and father. Firenze promised to never forget the gesture of kindness.

"Its worth nothing, that glass. Its a memory, that's all," Nellie said. They looked at each other for a moment, Fire hoped that Nellie could tell that she was truly grateful. No one had ever given her anything this important to themselves before, and in Sunberth that was a very rare thing to happen, Fire was sure of it. The way she'd seen thieves stealing from thieves, nothing was special anymore. You either kept to yourself or were robbed or worse... killed.

As Nellie finally answered Fire's question earlier, Firenze came to sit back on the bunk near the girl. She knew how it felt to hurt. She'd hurt a lot in the past, wondering why her parents left her at the orphanage, why they didn't keep her. The pain of those thoughts coming to her mind she could sympathize with what Nellie might be going through. Their pasts so vastly different, yet still so similar. "That's okay if you don't want to be my friend right now, I can only imagine what you might be going through. I can kind of understand..." Fire decided that maybe since Nellie had shared her past that she should share her's as well. That it might help to get Nellie's mind off the pain that she was feeling.

"My family gave me up before I could even remember. I first remember Jilliene and this place. She told me that I came to her in a pile of furs, she didn't know who'd left me, but she was kind enough to take me in..." Fire shifted on the bed, trying to get more comfortable, "she wasn't mean to me, but as I'm sure you've already seen she can be rather strict. For a long time I thought that she was going to get rid of me because... everyone eventually does..." Fire looked down at her hands, she'd tried to come to terms with these thoughts, but it still stung. She'd never told any of these thoughts before, but felt a though she could confide in Nellie because she had been confident enough to confide in Firenze.

Continuing, Fire fiddled with her hands in her lap, "It made me sad to think that she might get rid of me, so I went to go talk to her. She wasn't mad per se, just very leery. I think she knew what I was before I did, I mean she didn't know exactly but she had an idea, because I kept growing faster then the other kids and there were a few other things... I only know this cause she told me of course. So, I told her that I was worried that she would get rid of me because of it and she said as long as I didn't cause trouble I could stay until I was old enough to get my own place." Not even thinking about what she'd said might scare or make Nellie nervous, she smiled because the thought of having her very own place made her excited to grow up faster then she already was.

"I know that it's not the same. I just wanted you to know that I have an idea of what you might be going through. Just so you know though," She looked up at Nellie with a small smile on her face, "if you don't want to be friends now, I can wait and we can be friends later." It didn't even cross Firenze's mind that Nellie might not want to be friends at all, not even later. She was just happy that she had a girl that wanted to talk to her and had given her something so meaningful, even if she didn't seem to think so. Rolling the glass around in her hand, feeling the smoothness, she hoped that her story made Nellie feel better.

OOC InfoWord Count = 776
Last edited by Firenze on July 22nd, 2018, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Khara on April 5th, 2015, 12:43 am

Firenze :
XP:
  • Observation + 4
  • Socialization + 4
Lore:
  • Nellie: The New Girl
  • A brass button: A gift for Nellie
  • A shiny piece of glass: A gift from Nellie
  • The true value of "worthless" items
  • Nellie: Parents died in a lab fire
Comments: Super cute (even if sad) thread, so sad to see that it wasn't finished!

Nellie Hawkins :
Hi Nellie, due to this thread being written during the Winter season (even if just a flashback), you will need to deduct Winter Living Expenses from your ledger. Once this is completed, please let me know and I'll update this with your grade ASAP.
Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions/comments regarding your grade. I'll be more than happy to take a second look if you think I've missed something!
Also, please don't forget to edit your post as 'graded' in the request thread.
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next