Solo [The Training Grounds] So You Want to be a Knight? I

Aventis meets his patron knight

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Training Grounds] So You Want to be a Knight? I

Postby Aventis on November 11th, 2014, 8:37 pm

16th of Autumn, 514 AV

Aventis took a deep breath, nervous could not begin to describe his emotion. He slowly brought his arms to his shoulders, dragging the cloak down slowly. His hands trembled as the article of clothing fell to the ground, his face bright red with intimidated anxiety. He wrapped his arms, all four of them, behind his back, standing again to attention. He swallowed his fear, or at least the lump in his throat, as the aged knight looked over him.

You’re one of those Eypharians, aren’t you?” He said, almost indifferent.

Aventis did his best not to suffocate on his own breath as he choked out a “Yes, ser.” and went back to trying not to lose himself.
Aventis couldn’t help but be intimidated by the situation set before him. A recently joined squire, Aventis already understood that he had to train hard to move up in the ranks, and right now he was nothing more than a whelp. The only useful skill he had was a moderate understanding of the rapier that hung from his hip and the arms that hung from his shoulders, even then he didn’t have much experience. He had seen his knight on occasion, shared a glance or a polite nod with him, but there hasn’t been much interaction beside that. He knew his name. He knew Utis. He knew that Utis was a sergeant knight instead of just a knight, and it was an honor to be taught by him, but he had been too intimidated to approach him directly. It had been five days since he applied, five days since he was assigned, and today he seemed to have the courage to approach him. Today was his “birthday”. His day of… Adoption. Or, the day that his foster mother took him in. It was good luck for him. And so, with his cloak tight around his body, Aventis approached the training grounds, and with a slow and uneasy cadence, ripe with reluctance, he reached his destination.

Squires utilized weapons or fists, and with steely determination, fought either knight or squire, sweating, grunting, and still swinging. It was admirable to say the least. He stopped for a moment to take it in, observing the grounds. A knight blocked a heavy swing from a hammer with his shield, nearly denting the strong metal, narrowly avoiding a blow that would surely crack a rib. Another duo, both of whom were squires, traded blows. A large man of bluish hue took a fair hit from a strong woman at least two feet shorter. The man barely flinched, her fist not even effecting his stance. The man wound back to throw a punch. Aventis didn’t want to see what would happen next.

He, mimicking the determination and confidence of the others, begun walking into the grounds, not with swagger but not with such great nerves as to hesitate. He could recognize his patron easily, but didn’t know what to do. Did he stand to attention? Did he salute? Did he simply greet the old man and draw his sword? Thoughts flew like arrows through his head as he approached his knight, leaning leisurely against a wall, watching a spar between two squires. Aventis approached him more to the left than up front, so he stood straight, stiff, arms behind his back, and waited quietly for the man to notice him. He seemed… Kindly. Worn and a tad wisened in his shiny plate armor, but kind. His baggy eyes portrayed someone with wisdom, his strength and his stature commanded respect. He was strong, as well, but a tad stocky, standing only about six feet to Aventis’ six feet and five inches.

It took a moment, but the old knight glanced over to Aventis, a questioning look in his eye. His left hand was relaxed on this hilt of his short sword, his right hanging loosely by his side. The old man assessed his new squire, his eyes drifting over Aventis’ cloak, to his chin, his legs. He smacked his lips gently before speaking.

You’ll have to take off that cloak, son.” He said, his voice aged and a bit raspy, yet light-hearted, delivering an air of carefree and platonic affection.

Aventis stiffened, clenching his jaw. The last time he took off his cloak was when he applied to the knighthood, and he had to repress the urge to empty his stomach. He didn’t know if he could stomach it in front of all these people.

Oh, petchin’ hell… Did I get a deaf squire?” He asked sarcastically.

“No, ser.” Aventis replied quietly, staring into the distance as to not look down upon his knight.

Then remove your cloak, boy.

The knight took a moment before speaking again. “Little far from home, aren’t ya’?

Aventis, now on the cusp of hyperventilating, could barely say “Suppose so, ser.” before having to swallow his food for the second time. This was hell.

Oh, no…” The knight said, shaking his head. “No no no no no…

Aventis remained silent, hoping this was some kind of trial. The knight crossed his arms, tutting.

I sincerely hope you don’t plan to use a gods be damned rapier in my presence.

Aventis was taken by surprise, any prior scruples were erased and replaced with confusion. “I’ve had it my entire life, ser.” He said to the grisled knight. “It’s all I know how to use. Ser.”

Is that so, squire?” He said.

“... Yes. Ser.” Aventis said, uneasy.

That is exactly what we’re here to correct. This is what you’re going to do. After today, you’re going to get a shortsword.” He said, “Short. Sword. Got it? I don’t care if it’s cheap. I don’t care if the blade is going to fall right off the hilt. You get one. You use it. Am I understood?” He asked, still calm, still kindly, but Aventis was beginning to think that it was a disarming demeanor that he had, not a kindly personality.

“Yes, ser.” He said reluctantly.

Alright. Glad I make myself clear.” He said, pushing himself off the wall and facing his newly appointed squire. “[/b]As you most likely know, my name is Utis. You will never use this name unless by some miracle you become a knight. And even then I outrank you. You will call me ser. On very rare occasions, you will call me Ser Utis. Or, if you feel like making my day, you will call me ‘lord almighty, my savior, my god’. These are your options.[/b]” He said, completely serious, his wrinkled features never failing to intimidate.

“Yes, ser.” The squire responded, as directed.

There we go. There’s hope for you yet. Now here’s what’s going to happen,” he said, drawing his shortsword in a quick and delicate motion, then offering it to his squire “for today and today only, you get the honor of using Monica. Afterwards, you either get to learn to block a hit, or you get to use your own short sword, which I know you’ll be getting.

“Yes, ser.” Aventis said, taking the blade in his top right hand.

The old knight turned, motioning behind him for the squire to follow, and follow he did. The knight, without hesitation and without looking back, led the squire to a sparring area. He drew his shield, and pointed to an area approximately five feet away, and Aventis stood. He got himself ready, and then instructed the squire.

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 11th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I want you to attack me with Monica. As hard as you can. Don’t hold back; the shield is strong and, trust me, so is Monica. But I don’t so much as want to see what that rapier looks like in your hand. I’ll let you keep it on your hip, but if ever you draw it, I will cut you. Understand?

“Yes, ser.” Aventis replied, getting himself ready. His knight raised his shield, slamming his gauntlet against it violently.

Come at me, squire.” He yelled out to Aventis.

So he did. Aventis readied himself, holding the shortsword above his head, and his other arms behind his back. He lunged at his knight, slashing down with the sword, scraping the shield from its top down. The sword was light in Aventis’ hand, and it felt natural. Comfortable.

Good. I like the strength. It’s a nice start.” The knight yelled out from behind his shield. “I want you to try slashing. Up to down and left to right. Go.

Aventis whipped his arm across the shield, his ears ringing with the sound of metal hitting metal. He loved it. He struck again quickly, slashing downwards on the shield, and he slowly felt everything melt away. He didn’t mind showing his arms. He didn’t care. He forgot about it completely and fully. He didn’t care he wasn’t using his rapier. He was comfortable. The combat, or, at least, this instance, felt natural. He felt as if he belonged here. He didn’t feel bloodthirsty, he wasn’t exhilarated, he just felt as if his blood was circulating in a perfect circle, that each of his movements was predetermined subconsciously. He was happy, the sound of metal ringing once again in his ears as he slashed again. It felt good. It was the kind of intensity that wasn’t defined by the situation but how he loved it, his passion for it.

Addaboy! Now back up.” Utis yelled out.

Aventis, panting, a bit of sweat running down his cheek, did as his knight commanded, standing back at his point of origination.

I’m going to run at you. You need to step to one side and tap my back with the pommel of the sword. Remember that last part. That blade will cut my armor like paper. And you’ll have hell to pay. Are you ready?[b]” He asked.

Aventis nodded, watching the knight run at him, shield front. Aventis made himself thin, holding all four arms behind his back, and tried to spin on his heel to avoid the blow. He had made it about three fourths around before he was caught by the shield. Aventis was blown back off of his feet, quickly getting his arms out from behind his back as to not fall on them. He hit the ground hard, the wind successfully knocked out of him. Aventis moaned softly, the feeling of victorious and natural glee knocked out of him with his breath.

“[b]Now, see, you need to be faster.
” He heard his knight say.

Yeah, no shyke. Aventis thought to himself.

Well? What’re you waiting for, boy? On your feet, soldier.

Aventis pushed himself up and onto his knees slowly, doing his best to make the world stop spinning. He coughed, inhaling deeply.

On. Your. Feet.

Aventis stood, only to see his knight running at him once again, faster than before. Aventis had to act quickly. Head still ringing, he swung his body behind the knight, outstretching the arm with the sword only after he knew there was no danger of being hit, whipping his arm and slamming the pommel into the back of his knight’s armor, creating a flat ring. The knight stiffened, stopping in his tracks, laughing. A fraction of a second later, Aventis found himself jumping back, just barely avoiding a swing from his knight’s shield. There was another swing, another dodge, only by an inch did he dodge it.

Impressive, kid.” The knight said, making another swing, swiping at only air. “When you’re fighting-” he was interrupted by his own swing, another dodge barely made. “you have to-” Another swing, another miss. “be ever ready-” He swung once more, pushing Aventis back slowly “for what you cannot see.

Aventis took this as a hint. He quickly recognized that his knight was playing a game. It was a test for his squire. When he swung again, Aventis, again, swung his body around the attack, tapping the knight with the pommel of the blade against his back.

The world stood still. Aventis looked around for a moment, realizing that there were about ten onlookers that were watching the ordeal with the same look upon their faces that Aventis had when he watched fights himself. It felt good.

I think I might just enjoy this, kid.” the knight said.

He didn’t how if he meant teaching Aventis or kicking him down.

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 11th, 2014, 9:21 pm

The sun could be seen setting over the hills and forests of Sylira, painting the glorious sky and the belligerent wilderness alike, and it was then that the knight became weary and tired. They had spent the afternoon doing the same exercise, again and again, excessively so that Aventis could learn. Aventis, while Utis had just recently become tired, was bemused for the past few hours. Dehydrated and exhausted beyond mortal comprehension, Aventis did not complain. He did not feel any pain. He was not weary or sullen. He was joyful, content in his own abilities. He panted, sweat dripping from his forehead, stinging his eyes, and marking his very soul with each passing second, the young squire had fought. His bones wept plaintively, ached with the sullen attitude that Aventis had lacked. His hands, pained from falling again and again begged for Aventis to give in, but he did not. His thin, pale, sickly body bruised and pleaded for rest, but not until the knight. His body pleaded, but his mind was aloof to their begging. No matter how often he fell, how hard he hurt, the squire fought. And learned.

Utis originally thought nothing of the squire. He honestly expected for him to fail, to give in and run straight back to the recruitment office and give up. He expected the whelp to break, to fall, to run straight home like the majority of his “squires”. He wasn’t ready to admit that this one - whatever his name might be - was different from the rest. He had stayed for the first lesson. This much was true. He wasn’t strong. Or, if he was. he didn’t flaunt it. He wasn’t good with a blade. At least, not a short sword. Utis had done his best to push the squire out. Utis had forced him out of his comfort zone, alienated him, and worked him to no end, and here we was, standing, waiting, living for the fight. He had treated the squire with derision. The squire was relentless. He had treated the squire with contempt. Still he stood. He hadn’t seen this amount of determination in any of his previous squires. But, of course, this one was a significant amount older. Utis had never had much hope for squires, and he still didn’t, but this one might deserve respect. Even if only professional respect.

Alright…” The old knight said, catching his breath. “Okay… I think you’re good for today…

The squire dropped his attack position, his arms slumping for but a moment before he stood stiff and at attention, holding himself tall. He respected the old man, obviously. And that demanded respect from the old man back.

Get the shortsword… Get a shield… Maybe two… ‘Cause of your…. Your arms…” The knight said, panting ever so often. Aventis had successfully outlasted the man, and with old age, there was a high toll.

“Ser…?” Aventis started

I swear to petching Sylir, if you offer to help, me I’ll cut off your hand.” The knight panted, stretching out his back “Not really a threat to you, though… Four godsdamn arms…” he grumbled. “Oh just get out of here! Go on! Clean! You smell like the armpit of a Zith!

Aventis smiled, chuckling as he handed the shortsword back to the wizened knight, who thanked the squire with only a nod. Aventis retrieved his cloak, swung it over his shoulder, and left.

Without putting it back on.

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 2nd, 2014, 1:51 am

Due Rewards

“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
― Philip Pullman

Aventis
Skills
  • Observation +3
  • Socialization +2
  • Weapon: Shortsword +1
  • Endurance +1
Lores
  • Ser Utis: Patron Knight
  • Ser Utis: Sergeant Knight
  • Ser Utis: Kindly or Disarming?
  • Letting Go in a Fight
Shield Points: +1 for paton, +2 for training

If you have any concerns or questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a message. Also, please edit your original grade request and mark it as graded. Thank you and enjoy!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)